PDA

View Full Version : Which teams can make "the jump" this offseason and how can they do it?

hotpotato1092
05-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Every year several teams rise from obscurity to become title contenders. This year it was Orlando and Denver. In one case it was mostly about the maturation of current players (Orlando, namely Jameer Nelson becoming an all star, Dwight Howard cementing his status as the best big man in the league, and Stan Van Gundy just doing an excellent coaching job) in the other it was about getting rid of a cancer for a savior (Chauncey was the perfect point guard for them, he made everyone so much better). Teams can simply gain experience, they can make a wise trade to jump some teams ahead of them, and even an aging team can find someone to hand them a superstar for 50 cents on the dollar. Just throwing out a few candidates for teams that could jump to title contender and how they'd do it:

Dallas: Acquire Tyson Chandler from the Hornets for expiring deals and resign Jason Kidd. Dallas would have the defensive anchor they've always needed which would allow Dirk to focus solely on offense, could make them a top 3 western team in my mind. New Orleans just wants to save money at this point, they'd sell Chandler for 20 cents on the dollar (as evidenced by his almost trade to OKC at the deadline).

Portland: Sign Jason Kidd as a free agent. I think this would be the perfect move for Portland, Kidd can mentor Jerryd Bayless for a few years until he's ready to take over, and in the mean time Portland gets a true point guard to run the offense and take pressure off of Brandon Roy. Also, just imagine what kind of effect Kidd would have on their two young bigs, especially Oden. If I were Kevin Pritchard this would be my main goal this off season

Chicago: Trade for Chris Bosh and make sure to keep Ben Gordon. Chicago clearly has the assets to make this happen, most likely in a three teamer. Not sure what exactly the deal would end up as, but they have Kirk Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas, a mid first round pick and $18 million in expiring contracts (Brad Miller and Tim Thomas). Let's say they end up parting with Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas, Tim Thomas' expiring contract and a first round pick. They could start Derrick Rose, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, Chris Bosh and Brad Miller with Joakim Noah, John Salmons and a mid level guy off the bench. In the east that's a title contender.

Just throwing out those three, I'm sure you could make the argument for many others. Thoughts?

hotpotato1092
05-10-2009, 10:59 PM
come on now posts guys? Really?

Kyben36
05-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Chicago, just get a PF that can do something. It would just fill out this team nicely.

NBA_Starter
05-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Charlotte should make a jump into the playoffs if they can just stay healthy!

Fresno
05-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Charlotte should make a jump into the playoffs if they can just stay healthy!

and sign Iverson.

Rockets Fanatic
05-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Portland-Sign Jason Kidd and trade Travis Outlaw, Joel Pryzbilla, Steve Blake, Nicholas Batum and a 1st Rounder for Vince Carter and Shawne Williams. Trade Sergio Rodriguez for 2 2nd Round Picks to the Suns. Sign Theo Ratliff

PG-Kidd
SG-Roy
SF-Carter
PF-Aldridge
C-Oden
Fernandez
Webster
Bayless
Ratliff

Vinny642
05-10-2009, 11:56 PM
Thunder.... get a good pick in the draft and keep developing kinda like the Blazers.

Chronz
05-11-2009, 02:11 AM
I dont know how good Kidd would be next to Roy, I never liked the idea of pairing an elite pure PG with a combo guard. Like when everyone was saying the Cavs should go after Kidd, I was all for it, but I thought a pure scorer at the point would be best for a guy who can run the offense on his own. Same thing with Roy, I would pair him with a guy like Leandro Barbosa before Kidd.

DerekRE_3
05-11-2009, 04:20 AM
and sign Iverson.

That would set them back actually.

D-Amazins
05-11-2009, 04:54 AM
Portland-Sign Jason Kidd and trade Travis Outlaw, Joel Pryzbilla, Steve Blake, Nicholas Batum and a 1st Rounder for Vince Carter and Shawne Williams. Trade Sergio Rodriguez for 2 2nd Round Picks to the Suns. Sign Theo Ratliff

PG-Kidd
SG-Roy
SF-Carter
PF-Aldridge
C-Oden
Fernandez
Webster
Bayless
Ratliff

I wouldn't trade Outlaw & Batnum & a 1st rounder for basically Vince Carter. Are you NUTS?

I don't even think I would trade Outlaw straight up for Vince. I can garuntee Outlaw has similar value to Carter. Only because of his recent contract. Still id rather trade Outlaw as a key piece for a better player.