PDA

View Full Version : NBA statement on Mavs/nuggets Game

TmacBryant
05-09-2009, 10:27 PM
NBA issues statement on Mavs-Nuggets last-second foul

By Official Release
Posted May 9 2009 9:59PM

NEW YORK, May 9, 2009 -- Joel Litvin, NBA President, League and Basketball Operations, issued the following statement regarding the final seconds of Game 3 of the Western Conference Semifinals between the Denver Nuggets and the Dallas Mavericks:

"At the end of the Dallas-Denver game this evening, the officials missed an intentional foul committed by Antoine Wright on Carmelo Anthony, just prior to Anthony's 3-point basket."

source - NBA.com

that was so lame... mavs could have at least had a chance in the series, but now they are screwed just because of the refs...

superkegger
05-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Wow, Mavs have to feel like they were completely ****ed even more so now than before now that the NBA admits that the refs cost the Mavs the game.

Game_Over
05-09-2009, 10:33 PM
what did they have to say about the other 100 fouls:rolleyes:

still1ballin
05-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Wow that is horrible, if that happen to the Lakers I would be furious. You think they should replay that game from where the foul took place. Blowing that whistle or not basically dictated the outcome of that game.

DenButsu
05-09-2009, 10:38 PM

Exactly. I wonder if the NBA will issue an official statement acknowledging all the no-calls in the 4th quarter that resulted in the Mavs having a foul to give on Denver in the first place.

Yeah, that'll happen. :rolleyes:

As I said in the game thread (in response to Wright asking, "What do you want me to do?"):

I want him to do more than graze his chest across Melo's shoulder. I want him to try to wrap Melo up, put his hands on him, reach in to try to knock the ball out of bounds. Something absolutely unmistakable as a foul. In the course of regular game action, the foul which he committed would often not be called.

I would also like for him to acknowledge that with Dallas up 4 points with just 0:31 seconds remaining, their defense totally collapsed and they allowed Melo to drive in for an easy layup to cut the lead to 2. And to also acknowledge that on the Mavericks' subsequent possession, Dirk had the chance to put the game out of reach for Denver, but failed to make the shot that would have done that. So the very fact that Melo was even in a position to be able to make a winning three at the buzzer in the first place was two consecutive failures by Dallas in clutch time. And the third failure was Wright's, with his very weak foul attempt. Three chances, all blown. (And that's after an entire game where the officiating was heavily tilted in Dallas' favor).

The Mavericks have nothing legitimate to complain about. They had this game in their pocket near the end, and they stumbled when it counted most.

Spurred1
05-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Why do they even bother?

KeithLBC
05-09-2009, 10:42 PM
It's a shame that they missed the call, but Wright could have made it more obvious that he was going for the intentional foul.

Lone Maverick
05-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Can't have it both ways. NBA doesn't want hard fouls, but that was a blatant foul attempt, if Wright had done a better job of selling it, it might have been called.

avsman05
05-09-2009, 10:47 PM
That was definately a blown call but the NBA refs are the worst and their are multiple blown calls each game that could determine the outcome.

TheCooLKid2020
05-09-2009, 10:51 PM
You never assume anything in the nba... Even if you bump someone you never assume it's going to be a foul... Wright should have fouled harder..... It's funny how the Nuggets couldn't get a call all night and even in the end couldn't get a call ha... Melo kept going tho and made the shot... if he didn't make that shot this would be a non issue

bahama0811
05-09-2009, 10:52 PM
If you want to foul someone at the end of the game than you wrap them up. You don't just bump them and put your arms up. Play until the whistle blows, its as simple as that. It's Wright's own fault for giving up on the play. He didn't even sell it, and neither did the coaching staff.

prodigy
05-09-2009, 10:56 PM

who cares.

It just sucks seeing a game end like that. NBA refs are by far the worse in sports.

JRBillupsMelo
05-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Who cares if it was a "BLATANT" foul attempt.....Do you expect refs to call a foul at that time of the game???? I bet yall wouldn't be talking about the foul if Melo wouldn't have made the shot....Am I right?????????????...

...And why did Wright put his arms up???? Why not just hug him????

People tryna disrespect Melo, and give no acknowledgement to him hitting a clutch 3, and adding to the other buzzer beaters and clutch shots that he also did during the regular season of this year.

Good WIN nuggets.

OH YEAH, the reason the refs didnt call the foul was because most refs would consider that a foul in the act of shooting....I've seen plenty of shots identical to the one Melo made this evening, and it had the same type of delay of a whistle after a shot that could've resulted in this game, had the refs called that foul..And what did the refs call on those shots I mentioned??? They called an AND-1 free throw...So really, in the view of lots if not MOST refs??? That coulda been justified as a foul in the act of shooting, and a four point chance for the Nuggets......The refs probably also assumed that Melo was going to miss it, and at the moment decided not to call it with basis bein put on that assumption.

This is very sickenin, that the NBA is makin this such an excuse and some of the NBA fans are agreein with it.

superkegger
05-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Exactly. I wonder if the NBA will issue an official statement acknowledging all the no-calls in the 4th quarter that resulted in the Mavs having a foul to give on Denver in the first place.

Yeah, that'll happen. :rolleyes:

As I said in the game thread (in response to Wright asking, "What do you want me to do?"):

Den, I think you're being a bit hypocritical. You said this about the Flagrant 2 assesed on Ron Artest last night:

Any NBA fan who respects good basketball being played without undue interference from the officials has every right to be angry at that call. And so I am.

If you're going to be angry about that bad call and it's potential further reachign effects in the playoffs, even though it had no real affect on the game, but then quite easily dismiss this call by saying, look at all the other calls made and not made.

Well the Mavs could easily do that in the first two games, and the foul disparity in games 1 and 2 in favor of the mavs was greater in the Nuggets favor than this game was in favor of the Mavs.

It's a load of crap that'll you call other people out for being homeristic in those other cases, but when it comes to your nuggets you do the same thing.

Game_Over
05-09-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm not going to let this take away from a great game winning shot by Melo and if they called the foul than Melo would have drained another one!!

Fool
05-09-2009, 11:14 PM
calls/noncalls should be reviewed, IMO.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Guys, these refs couldnt call a freaken goaltend correctly yesterday in the Magic vs. Celtics game. Do really expect them to call something as complicated and complex as an intentional foul correctly? Give these guys a break. I think we should pay refs more. They do such a good job. They are never wrong and should be respected.

now for some real talk. NBA REFS = INEPT.

Draco
05-10-2009, 12:03 AM
This reminds me of the NBA tacking on a point to the total score in the 4th quarter after the ref's reviewed a 3 pointer BG7 made in the first quarter of one of the playoff games. The ref's have stunk it up this post season with all of these after the fact decisions/admissions.

NBA_Starter
05-10-2009, 12:03 AM
It was a good move with the fast apology, I mean it's all they can do at this point but at least it was fast.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-10-2009, 12:05 AM
It was a good move with the fast apology, I mean it's all they can do at this point but at least it was fast.

thats NOT good enough.

if this is how bad the refs are at their job, imagine how ******** they would be doing another job.

GregOden#1
05-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Wow that is horrible, if that happen to the Lakers I would be furious. You think they should replay that game from where the foul took place. Blowing that whistle or not basically dictated the outcome of that game.

It did, last year the NBA admitted the refs blew a call in the SAS/LAL series which resulted in Brent Barry not going to the line to win the game.

fairandbalanced
05-10-2009, 12:07 AM
blame the fans..........they were too loud and rowdy.

JJ_JKidd
05-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Comn Nuggets fans dont be homers. The NBA clearly admitted that a mistake was committed by the refs and you guys still question the degree of the foul if Wrights foul was convincing or not??? Dont rub the salt in the wounds. I admit this Dallas team cannot compete w/you guys esp. w/Howard playing on two bad ankles. Might as well not screw the Mavs might as well give em a fair fight though.

The Mavs did do a bad job esp with that 4 pt lead in the last 0:31 and just as Kidd said that the "non-foul" should have been immaterial if they just played a better game. Besides if a foul was called, it doesnt guarantee anything---Mavs win, or Mavs lose.

But one things for sure now---- Wright tried to foul, refs missed it, Melo hits the game winning 3, Denver wins....... After two hours NBA comes out and says "Yep our officials missed it, there should have been a foul."

Too late, Nuggets up by 3 games. Hope Dallas wins, and wins convincingly the next game to avoid any controversies.

JRBillupsMelo
05-10-2009, 12:13 AM
IF REFS WOULDA CALLED THAT FOUL, it would've been "FOULED WHILE IN THE ACT OF SHOOTING" and it woulda been a 4 point player for Melo....Melo made a clutch shot....Mavs had a chance to close the game out.

Spurred1
05-10-2009, 12:14 AM
^The Mavs had a foul to give, though.

Wrigleyboy25
05-10-2009, 12:15 AM
They stopped playing defense.

If you don't hear a whistle, keep playing. Pretty simple.

Clutch shot by 'Melo which is going to get lost in all of this.

JRBillupsMelo
05-10-2009, 12:20 AM
^The Mavs had a foul to give, though.

Regardless, the delay the shot would've been after the whistle bein blown at the point of which Wright reached his hand in, would've probably justified an AND 1 opportunity, and a 4 point play.

What if Melo got fouled at the point of which Wright reached in, and Melo still made the shot but they didnt count it???? Would that be justified?????

avsman05
05-10-2009, 12:23 AM
They stopped playing defense.

If you don't hear a whistle, keep playing. Pretty simple.

Clutch shot by 'Melo which is going to get lost in all of this.

My man:clap: first person to say clutch shot by Melo.

LaKeRs824
05-10-2009, 12:27 AM
the nba screwed this all up once again

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-10-2009, 12:35 AM
It did, last year the NBA admitted the refs blew a call in the SAS/LAL series which resulted in Brent Barry not going to the line to win the game.

First of all it would have sent him to the line to tie the game. Second of all, Barry traveled. Thirdly they will never call a touch foul like that at the end of the game unless Lebron is the one on offense

Spurred1
05-10-2009, 12:39 AM
First of all it would have sent him to the line to tie the game. Second of all, Barry traveled. Thirdly they will never call a touch foul like that at the end of the game unless Lebron is the one on offense

:eyebrow:

NBA_Starter
05-10-2009, 12:40 AM
thats NOT good enough.

if this is how bad the refs are at their job, imagine how ******** they would be doing another job.

It's really all they can do though it has to be good enough, they can't go back and restart the game at that point, I didn't say it was fair,etc. but at least they acknowledged that they have a problem.

GregOden#1
05-10-2009, 12:41 AM

Stern came out and SAID his biggest cash cow should have been called for a foul, there's really nothing to argue about. And lol@it being a touch foul, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWiw60NusOY&feature=related

GHOSTSNIPER
05-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Where amazing happens...

BlondeBomber41
05-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Regardless, the delay the shot would've been after the whistle bein blown at the point of which Wright reached his hand in, would've probably justified an AND 1 opportunity, and a 4 point play.

What if Melo got fouled at the point of which Wright reached in, and Melo still made the shot but they didnt count it???? Would that be justified?????

Melo dribbled after the foul was committed... how are you not getting that the dribble automatically made it a foul on the floor? I feel like I am talking to a wall....

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-10-2009, 12:54 AM

Stern came out and SAID his biggest cash cow should have been called for a foul, there's really nothing to argue about. And lol@it being a touch foul, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWiw60NusOY&feature=related

A team is not going to get bailed out with two free throws to tie the game when they are 30 feet from the basket. You know that, I know that. Especially when they traveled :eyebrow:

JRBillupsMelo
05-10-2009, 12:57 AM
Melo dribbled after the foul was committed... how are you not getting that the dribble automatically made it a foul on the floor? I feel like I am talking to a wall....

What does it matter.....Your team lost.....They failed to close the game out.....How many times must it be repeated to you, that refs aren'yt going to call no sissy touch a distinct foul during the last seconds of the game???....It feels like i'm talking to a wall with no insulation in it.

borat
05-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Being an unbiased fan with no hatred or love for either team.

It was a horrible call and an obvious foul. That's all that matters. The officials jobs are to call the game the right way. This matters most down the stretch where one call can decide the outcome of the game. We never got to see tonight if the nuggets earned this win. Melo could have very well got another shot off and done the same thing. However, this was the strategy that Dallas wanted. They wanted to intentionally foul and expected for it to be called(as it should be because it was so obvious and a tactic that many teams use when they have a foul to give) The refs missed it plain and simple. It's sad they never got the chance to see if it would've worked.

Also, to the Nugget fans out there. Imagine if Melo missed the shot. I'm sure you then would have been talking about that non call and how if the officials called it like they should have you would have had another chance to win or tie it. :eyebrow:

JRBillupsMelo
05-10-2009, 01:05 AM
Being an unbiased fan with no hatred or love for either team.

It was a horrible call and an obvious foul. That's all that matters. The officials jobs are to call the game the right way. This matters most down the stretch where one call can decide the outcome of the game. We never got to see tonight if the nuggets earned this win. Melo could have very well got another shot off and done the same thing. However, this was the strategy that Dallas wanted. They wanted to intentionally foul and expected for it to be called(as it should be because it was so obvious and a tactic that many teams use when they have a foul to give) The refs missed it plain and simple. It's sad they never got the chance to see if it would've worked.

Also, to the Nugget fans out there. Imagine if Melo missed the shot. I'm sure you then would have been talking about that non call and how if the officials called it like they should have you would have had another chance to win or tie it. :eyebrow:

It goes both ways....If Melo missed the shot, then Mavs wouldnt have been talkin about the FOUL LIKE THEY are now......:eyebrow:

Melo made a clutch shot....Much respect to him gainin such playoff experience.

slipcid
05-10-2009, 01:06 AM
its like professional wrestling! woooh!

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Just saw the replay. That was the worst intentional foul I have ever seen. It looked like he was making a play on the ball. If you want to get a foul called against you, you have to wrap the body or really butcher the guy. If I was a ref I would not have called that either at the end of the game. Unless the Mavs went to every ref and told them that they are going to foul.

DenButsu
05-10-2009, 01:18 AM
The most famous of all hopeless NUGGETS HOMERS explains why it wasn't that foul that decided the game:

"The game didn't come down to that last play. We tried to take a foul and didn't get that. You've got to make plays down the stretch and we didn't do that... This history of this league is games are won or lost by the players coming down the stretch. The officials' tendency is not to make a call and let the players decide the game."
--Jason Kidd (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/05/jason-kidd-blown-call-didnt-cost-mavs-th.html)

BlondeBomber41
05-10-2009, 01:27 AM
The most famous of all hopeless NUGGETS HOMERS explains why it wasn't that foul that decided the game:

"The game didn't come down to that last play. We tried to take a foul and didn't get that. You've got to make plays down the stretch and we didn't do that... This history of this league is games are won or lost by the players coming down the stretch. The officials' tendency is not to make a call and let the players decide the game."
--Jason Kidd (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/05/jason-kidd-blown-call-didnt-cost-mavs-th.html)

Jason Kidd is trying to be humble. He isnt going to come out and call out the refs. Doesnt mean the foul shouldnt of been called.

Kidd is right, the officials tendency is to let it go but when a foul is obvious they arent suppose to let it go.

If a foul is a foul in the first quarter, its a foul in the 4th.

JRBillupsMelo
05-10-2009, 01:32 AM
Jason Kidd is trying to be humble. He isnt going to come out and call out the refs. Doesnt mean the foul shouldnt of been called.

Kidd is right, the officials tendency is to let it go but when a foul is obvious they arent suppose to let it go.

If a foul is a foul in the first quarter, its a foul in the 4th.

You're right....The FOUL was "obvious", the foul was "obvious"-ly sissy type and didnt deserve to be called in the finale seconds of the game....Like others have said, if I was a ref I wouldnt have made that call....Melo just made a good shot and scored 31 pts...Move on....Game 4 monday.

BlondeBomber41
05-10-2009, 01:36 AM
You're right....The FOUL was "obvious", the foul was "obvious"-ly sissy type and didnt deserve to be called in the finale seconds of the game....Like others have said, if I was a ref I wouldnt have made that call....Melo just made a good shot and scored 31 pts...Move on....Game 4 monday.

Others? Try 1 other.

The NBA admits they ****ed up and you cant admit it. Its classic homerism.

borat
05-10-2009, 01:36 AM
It goes both ways....If Melo missed the shot, then Mavs wouldnt have been talkin about the FOUL LIKE THEY are now......:eyebrow:

Melo made a clutch shot....Much respect to him gainin such playoff experience.

No. You're missing the point. Dallas never had a chance to use THEIR strategy. They felt the best chance to win was to foul and then have them take the ball out again with less time. They dictated this. If he missed of course they wouldn't be talking about that foul, because it was just a matter of chance and rightfully so he missed the shot.

I get what you are trying to say, but it's completely different. If you can't see that, then i don't know what to tell you.

JRBillupsMelo
05-10-2009, 01:45 AM
No. You're missing the point. Dallas never had a chance to use THEIR strategy. They felt the best chance to win was to foul and then have them take the ball out again with less time. They dictated this. If he missed of course they wouldn't be talking about that foul, because it was just a matter of chance and rightfully so he missed the shot.

I get what you are trying to say, but it's completely different. If you can't see that, then i don't know what to tell you.

What you mean they didn't have a chance to use THEIR strategy???? Please elaborate, because they had a hell of a chance, but they failed because if Wrights little sissy tap....They had quite some time to stop Melo from settin up for a shot....

It's an equal equation..

If he made it [Mavs fans would put emphasis on the no call] or if he missed [Mavs fans wouldn't have acknowledged the no call]

If he made it [Nuggets fans wouldn't have aknowledged the no call] or if he missed [Nuggets fans put emphasis on the no call]

^^^It goes both ways regardless....But he made it, because he's a clutch shooter....They took that stupid chance that you speak of, and it cost them.

superkegger
05-10-2009, 01:47 AM

There are many many examples of players saying similar things in similar situations to be humble and not blame the loss on something other than their own play. Kidd is a classy guy, and isn't going to call out the refs for a blown call.

superkegger
05-10-2009, 01:49 AM
What you mean they didn't have a chance to use THEIR strategy???? Please elaborate, because they had a hell of a chance, but they failed because if Wrights little sissy tap....They had quite some time to stop Melo from settin up for a shot....

It's an equal equation..

If he made it [Mavs fans would put emphasis on the no call] or if he missed [Mavs fans wouldn't have acknowledged the no call]

If he made it [Nuggets fans wouldn't have aknowledged the no call] or if he missed [Nuggets fans put emphasis on the no call]

^^^It goes both ways regardless....But he made it, because he's a clutch shooter....They took that stupid chance that you speak of, and it cost them.

If the foul is called, the shot doesn't matter.

JRBillupsMelo
05-10-2009, 01:54 AM
If the foul is called, the shot doesn't matter.

If the fouls called, then we branch off into the "WHAT IF" capacity of the conversation....And wonder if Melo would've made a shot within 2 or 3 seconds, at which point he got fouled by Wright.....How can you speculate or assume with confidence that Melo would or wouldn't have made a clutch shot after being fouled with 2 or 3 seconds left???????

But my point doesn't revolve around if the foul was called, my point was associated with whether Melo would of have missed the shot on the no-call or not.

#1Mavericksfan
05-10-2009, 01:58 AM
I gonna be rooting heavily for the Lakers the rest of the way because I can't stand the Thuggets or the Cavs.

borat
05-10-2009, 02:00 AM
If the fouls called, then we branch off into the "WHAT IF" capacity of the conversation....And wonder if Melo would've made a shot within 2 or 3 seconds, at which point he got fouled by Wright.....How can you speculate or assume with confidence that Melo would or wouldn't have made a clutch shot after being fouled with 2 or 3 seconds left???????

You can't speculate what would have happened. That's the point. We should have been able to see what would have happened, but didn't. :eyebrow:

JRBillupsMelo
05-10-2009, 02:06 AM
You can't speculate what would have happened. That's the point. We should have been able to see what would have happened, but didn't. :eyebrow:

We did see what happened...We saw the antonym of PHYSICAL....Melo shouldnt have even been allowed to raise his arms for a shot!! He shoulda been FOULED, not TOUCHED......

That was a terrible attempt at an intentional foul......Blame it on Wright, not the refs.

Namy
05-10-2009, 02:06 AM
There are many many examples of players saying similar things in similar situations to be humble and not blame the loss on something other than their own play. Kidd is a classy guy, and isn't going to call out the refs for a blown call.

"Technically-speaking", yes it was a foul.

With that said, let's be real: Any NBA fan - and every NBA player - absolutely knows that refs will not decide the game; this means that only blatantly obvious fouls will be called. This is why Wright's immediate reaction after fouling Melo deserves ample consideration. He backs off and raises his hand. Actually, if you look at the replay, it looks like he's going for the ball, not Melo. Do you really expect the refs to call such a ticky tack foul? And do you really think Wright meant to foul? Really??

A lot of people have been crying this statement: "A foul is a foul, and it should be called similarly, whether it is in the first or fourth quarter." Come on, guys. This is the junk that the NBA issues because it can't admit that its refs call games inconsistently, but I think EVERYONE knows that the final minutes of a close game IS indeed called differently. Wright had to have known that, and with his sissy, supposed foul attempt, it is Wright's fault to expect a call in that situation.

I honestly can't believe all the complaints about that play. That was the worst intentional foul ever. The refs probably thought that Wright was trying to steal the ball and because of the minimal contact they therefore let the play continue. The NBA admits that they erred because it was technically wrong. But NBA players should play by the inherent rules of the game, not the technical ones.

BRAVE KID
05-10-2009, 02:29 AM
I gonna be rooting heavily for the Lakers the rest of the way because I can't stand the Thuggets or the Cavs."thuggets" unique, never heard that before:rolleyes:

oh and I Like the number terry is putting up in your sig, 3-0.

Game_Over
05-10-2009, 02:34 AM
"thuggets" unique, never heard that before:rolleyes:

Owned:smoking:

KeithLBC
05-10-2009, 02:39 AM
I gonna be rooting heavily for the Lakers the rest of the way because I can't stand the Thuggets or the Cavs.

:clap: :clap: :D

borat
05-10-2009, 02:48 AM
the reason this would never happen to the lakers is because the nba is still deep throating kobe's d*** so until yall lose him u have nothing to worry about sir

Damn. I wish that NBA deepthroating would have led to at least one championship since 2002. :D

DoubleDragon
05-10-2009, 02:52 AM

It's *********ing horrible. (yeah, if that happened to the Lakers, I'd have a stroke) It's complete bull****.
Gee, uhhhm, thanks NBA for the apology, but the MAVS are down 3-0 now instead of 1 game out.

Sorry Mavs fans. The foul was obvious enough to me.

DoubleDragon
05-10-2009, 02:54 AM
the reason this would never happen to the lakers is because the nba is still deep throating kobe's d*** so until yall lose him u have nothing to worry about sir

:yawn:
:rolleyes:

audiosway
05-10-2009, 03:07 AM
We did see what happened...We saw the antonym of PHYSICAL....Melo shouldnt have even been allowed to raise his arms for a shot!! He shoulda been FOULED, not TOUCHED......

That was a terrible attempt at an intentional foul......Blame it on Wright, not the refs.

Actually that would be wrong. If you'd ever played ball you would know that if you have a foul to give you push and pull up. The reason why is because if you are running and wrap up someone you will likely hit the floor and now it's a flagrant foul and you are suspended along with the tech free throws. If he hits too hard there is that flagrant again. If he's not careful and Anthony comes up in an act of shooting and his hands aren't in the air now it's a shooting foul with 3 free throws. Wright played it perfect. It was a text book foul in that running position. Wright tried to foul when the ball was bobbled Anthony picked it up and ran so Wright fouled a little harder with Carlisle standing next to the ref yelling foul him now! The ref knew they were attempting to foul and saw the contact because his whistle was in his mouth and he made a foul motion with his hand but let play continue. Hence the NBA released statement of the non call being the wrong thing on the officials part. The NBA didn't have to release that. They rarely ever do admit they are wrong like that. Do some research before making a statement like that. Congrats on the Nuggets going to the WCF. Too bad it's going to be the Lakers and Cavs in the Finals though. Sorry. The NBA is in terrible shape financially, the economy is down and an Anthony vs LeBron doesn't sell quite like a Kobe vs LeBron. Enjoy it while it lasts. Real shame too because the Nuggets are playing some really good ball right now.

Young2Kinsler
05-10-2009, 03:13 AM
This series has been piss poor officiated all game, and the refs might of stole one from Dallas here. All that to say, we wouldn't win the series anyways.

NYKnickFanatic
05-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Man, Wright was NOT looking to foul.

He bumped him and then put his hands up, as if to say, "I didnt foul."

He was NOT looking to foul. :pity:

#1Mavericksfan
05-10-2009, 03:22 AM

you wonna know what's funny?...that's not the last time your gonna see 3-0 because the Lakers are gonna beat you the same way and I can't wait.

NFLNBA
05-10-2009, 03:25 AM

Almost the same thing

Fisher didnt blatantly foul Berry and wasnt trying to foul him either

Wright purposly tried to foul him but its really a shame because that call took the Mavs out of the series. Mavs win that game they could go on to win game 2 and we would be looking at a possible game 7 series?

NFLNBA
05-10-2009, 03:29 AM
you wonna know what's funny?...that's not the last time your gonna see 3-0 because the Lakers are gonna beat you the same way and I can't wait.

LOL Karma is a ****** and the Lakers will make you happy by wiping that smile of Anthony's face! Its funny as pissed and as sad as it is watching your team lose and get screwed you now will be rooting for a Laker team you normally hate to just crush the Nuggets lol

Game_Over
05-10-2009, 03:40 AM
LOL Karma is a ****** and the Lakers will make you happy by wiping that smile of Anthony's face! Its funny as pissed and as sad as it is watching your team lose and get screwed you now will be rooting for a Laker team you normally hate to just crush the Nuggets lol

:rolleyes:lol like i have said before, before Lakers fans raise the banner they have to win it first!!

NYKnickFanatic
05-10-2009, 03:43 AM

Im not trying to get into anything, but I dont think the Lakers would beat the Nuggets.

I called it since the playoffs started:

Cavs vs Nuggets Finals.

IMHO.

downsos
05-10-2009, 03:50 AM
All this talk about letting them play and this ref does it and people are upset about it?

downsos
05-10-2009, 03:52 AM

Yeah, no fouls have gone in favor of the Lakers. I hope karma does catch up to LA.

drobe86
05-10-2009, 03:57 AM
As a mavs fan or most importantly an NBA fan, that had to be the worst officiating in NBA history. 1st and foremost I have a hard time understanding how you call 61 fouls in a playoff game. And then you miss an intentional foul? Then you come out 2 hours later and say O well sorry we missed it. Referees have single handedly taken the Mavs out of the series. at 2-1 it's a series. At 3-0 its a laugher. And whats even funnier is how Nuggets are trying to justify it. Saying it wasn't a foul. Knowing that if Wright fouls him harder he gets a flagrant, Melo goes to the line, and gets the ball and Wright possibly gets suspended. Furthermore it's not just this game. NBA refs have been awful all playoffs. Everyones getting technicals, thrown out, etc. Its not even basketball anymore. It's a free throw contest. Stern has to take a long look at this. These refs are being paid to do a job, And none of them are doing it. Artest got thrown out in game 2 because he walked over to Kobe. You gotta be kidding me? NBA refs are the by far the worst in sports, and I'm beginning to think they r all gambling. Because these calls are obvious. These aren't difficult plays, these are simple calls that anyone with adequate basketball knowledge can make. It's a shame.
It's a sad day in the NBA

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-10-2009, 04:08 AM
The refs missed a call.... oh well.... The reff didnt put the ball in the basket for Melo did he???

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-10-2009, 04:10 AM
As a mavs fan or most importantly an NBA fan, that had to be the worst officiating in NBA history. 1st and foremost I have a hard time understanding how you call 61 fouls in a playoff game. And then you miss an intentional foul? Then you come out 2 hours later and say O well sorry we missed it. Referees have single handedly taken the Mavs out of the series. at 2-1 it's a series. At 3-0 its a laugher. And whats even funnier is how Nuggets are trying to justify it. Saying it wasn't a foul. Knowing that if Wright fouls him harder he gets a flagrant, Melo goes to the line, and gets the ball and Wright possibly gets suspended. Furthermore it's not just this game. NBA refs have been awful all playoffs. Everyones getting technicals, thrown out, etc. Its not even basketball anymore. It's a free throw contest. Stern has to take a long look at this. These refs are being paid to do a job, And none of them are doing it. Artest got thrown out in game 2 because he walked over to Kobe. You gotta be kidding me? NBA refs are the by far the worst in sports, and I'm beginning to think they r all gambling. Because these calls are obvious. These aren't difficult plays, these are simple calls that anyone with adequate basketball knowledge can make. It's a shame.
It's a sad day in the NBA

Don't blame bein down 3-0 on the Reffs.... blame that so called defense the Mavs play. Maybe wright shoulda made the foul more obvious this is the NBA PLAYOFFS not AAU anymore. Go hard or Go home!

Game_Over
05-10-2009, 04:10 AM
:violin:

AllTheWay
05-10-2009, 04:18 AM

Dannnggggg, being baited by a mod! :p

FaceDown91
05-10-2009, 04:22 AM
The NBA, where "oops, i, did it again" happens.

EddieB
05-10-2009, 04:26 AM

http://s3.tinypic.com/21bvm0o_th.jpg

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-10-2009, 04:28 AM

wanna know what else is funny? you'll be watching the Denver "Thuggets" play in the WCF.

And I can't wait either...

Cubans face after this game was funny too.

drobe86
05-10-2009, 04:34 AM
Exactly. Oh well.... I don't understand how that can be acceptable? If the NBA cares about the product it puts on the floor night in and night out, why don't they care to get it right? Play the game from where the foul took place or something. Not just Oh well.... Thats embarrasing, i mean I know your team won and all, but realistically everyone knows they blew that one. Hell, the NBA admitted they blew it. I can't speculate on whether Melo would have made the shot with a few seconds left, or if he wouldn't. But the point is we should have been able to see that. This is the NBA and you can't just screw a team single handedly and take them out of the series. How can these refs still have jobs? In any other profession if you don't do your job you get fired. But these guys miss calls and it oh well.... its ok. This is embarrasing and puts a black eye on the NBA. And I blame Stern because after the whole scandal with Donaghey a few years back he should have done something to clean up the game and the image of NBA refs, and he didn't. All they can say is I'm sorry? I'm having a hard time understanding that.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-10-2009, 04:40 AM
^^^ you don't hafta understand it.

Dirk shoulda handled his own business and hit his shot the possesion before... and we wouldn't be having this convo right now!

how bout Wright putting his hands up as Melo picked up his dribble? Looks to me like he was sayin "I'm standin straight up... therefor no foul"

drobe86
05-10-2009, 04:52 AM
The NBA issued a statement admitting they screwed up. How are you justifying the no call? And what does anything that happened in that game have to do with what happened in the final seconds? The point is that the referees missed an obvious call. And if you call yourself a professional, and you are an NBA referee you should be held accountable. I mean the call was so obvious, I am not sure that referee didn't bet on this game. My 6 year old son knows an intentional foul when he sees one. But, its over now, the NBA got what they wanted. But I will tell you it doesn't matter who wins the mavs nuggets series the Lakers and Cavs will be in the finals. And the NBA will make sure of that. Watch and see..

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-10-2009, 05:00 AM
I'm not arguing that it wasn't a foul.

What do you mean "what does anything that happend in that game have to do with what happened in the final seconds?"

Here's a quote from you guy Jason Kidd

''The game didn't come down to that last play,'' Dallas guard Jason Kidd said. ''You've got to make plays down the stretch, and we just didn't do that.''

There you go.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-10-2009, 05:01 AM
....and I know the Finals will be Cavs-LA

But why not enjoy the ride while I can?

drobe86
05-10-2009, 05:12 AM
Lol... Of course Jason Kidd will say that. He is as classy as their is in the NBA. But it was still a no call. A call that has to be made in the final seconds of a decisive game 3 nba playoff series.

drobe86
05-10-2009, 05:14 AM
The NBA where "sorry we made a mistake" happens

ARMIN12NBA
05-10-2009, 05:16 AM

Nope. Barry dribbled the ball AFTER Fisher hit him. He would have been given only two shots and a chance to TIE the game.

Not to mention that Barry traveled on the play (before Fisher hit him) and the Spurs got the ball unjustly as it should have been the Lakers possession. The Spurs lucked out by having the ball in the first place and got lucky that there was no travel called when they got the ball unfairly.

Nice try though. I respect people who at least try to spread propaganda. :eyebrow:

azkarraga
05-10-2009, 05:22 AM
The officials' tendency is not to make a call and let the players decide the game."

i'll always love kidd

ARMIN12NBA
05-10-2009, 05:25 AM
Den, I think you're being a bit hypocritical. You said this about the Flagrant 2 assesed on Ron Artest last night:

If you're going to be angry about that bad call and it's potential further reachign effects in the playoffs, even though it had no real affect on the game, but then quite easily dismiss this call by saying, look at all the other calls made and not made.

Well the Mavs could easily do that in the first two games, and the foul disparity in games 1 and 2 in favor of the mavs was greater in the Nuggets favor than this game was in favor of the Mavs.

It's a load of crap that'll you call other people out for being homeristic in those other cases, but when it comes to your nuggets you do the same thing.

Owned. :clap:

Maserick
05-10-2009, 05:56 AM
NBA issues statement on Mavs-Nuggets last-second foul

that was so lame... mavs could have at least had a chance in the series, but now they are screwed just because of the refs...

I watched the first replays, pushed Record then walked out of the room. "They won't replay that angle again..." I said to myself. A good while later I came back.... wasn't really surprised when the one replay TNT showed practically HID the foul.

For too many years tv announcers (and producers in the replay booths) have only reinforced the Refs, no matter how bad they screw up... "That was a good call" announcers say, when obviously it wasn't. And then they move on QUICK.

This time the Refs not only blew the call they blew the series. (You'd think the relevant networks would have a gripe about that.... rating dollars lost.)

Before signing off the woman-announcer DID say 'bad call', but talking on they minimalized it.
They prob. had 3 or 4 angles _screaming_ how the Refs screwed up ....Wonder if they'll spend any time dwelling on it on ESPN...?

-
"Time is a River Without Banks" (Chagall)... the out of bounds lines hard to find.

Sandman
05-10-2009, 06:02 AM
Melo probably also thought he was fouled.

The reason he won on this play is because he played until the whistle and the defender did not.

Can't blame the refs.

Randy West
05-10-2009, 06:54 AM
Well I guess he didn't foul him hard enough to get the whistle blown.

Don't refs put their whistles in their pockets the last minute of the game for the most part anyway??

To say this one call screwed the Mavs out of the series is a real stretch.........the ref obviously didn't think he was fouled hard enough to blow the whistle......plus it was nice watching Cuban cry yet again.

If you are going to foul a guy you better make darn sure you make a noticeable foul if it is a crucial situation like that........and make sure he does not get the shot off.......The mavs player did neither and it cost them the game and the series.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-10-2009, 08:13 AM
1. Mavs got screwed. Dont talk to me about any other play because at that point in the game, that is the only play that mattered.

2. IT WAS A FOUL. stop saying he didn't foul hard enough. the league admitted they screwed up.

3. "They call 60 fouls all game and now when we try to foul, they dont blow the whistle." -Rick Carlisle. That basically says it all.

4. As paying fans, we deserve better. Lucky for the NBA, i just like the game of basketball best of any sport.

5. How ******** are these refs getting? Every game I say to myself, "no complaining about refs" and then they do something so dumb it changes the game.

Frustrated.

drobe86
05-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Well I guess he didn't foul him hard enough to get the whistle blown.

Don't refs put their whistles in their pockets the last minute of the game for the most part anyway??

To say this one call screwed the Mavs out of the series is a real stretch.........the ref obviously didn't think he was fouled hard enough to blow the whistle......plus it was nice watching Cuban cry yet again.

If you are going to foul a guy you better make darn sure you make a noticeable foul if it is a crucial situation like that........and make sure he does not get the shot off.......The mavs player did neither and it cost them the game and the series.

How can you say he didn't foul hard enough? Were the other 61 fouls hard enough? It was an intentional foul, my 6 year old knows an intentional foul when he sees it. The problem with these referees is they suck. Its not just that game its all the games. There hasn't been a decent called game this whole playoffs. They r issuing techs, people r getting ejected and etc. This playoffs has simply been a free throw contest, and not what the nba is about. And to say it didn't cost them the game? You obviously dont know basketball. They were trying to use an intentional foul because they had 1 to give. I wish people would quit making excuses and admit the NBA blew this one. Hell they admitted it.

DenButsu
05-10-2009, 09:21 AM
keg, it's 10pm and I've been up since 6 this morning (when I woke up to watch the Nuggets game) and I'm drunk from going to the park all day after the game with my wife and friends and drinking by the beach and then going out to dinner and having a lot more beer and sake and some killer Japanese (and other kinds of) food.

So I'll deal with you later.

But you're wrong, it's not hypocritical.

Bottom line: A blatant elbow to the head, and a very subtle chest to the shoulder are far, far, FAR from being the same.

DenButsu
05-10-2009, 09:24 AM

So why is it when I make the exact same point I'm being a "Nuggets homer" and when Kidd says it he's being a "classy guy"? :eyebrow:

You have two choices:

a) Either Kidd, by virtue of making the exact same argument I made (that Dallas failed to do enough down the stretch to lock down the game in the first place) is just as much of a Nuggets homer as I am.

or

b) I, by virtue of the fact that I'm making the same argument as Kidd, am also a "classy guy", and not a hypocrite or a Nuggets homer.

Which is it?

todu82
05-10-2009, 09:45 AM
A similar thing happened in the NHL the other night when a goal wasn't counted that should have been. In moments like this you really have to question the judgment of the refs.

roygconner
05-10-2009, 09:51 AM
All of the Lakers fans in here saying how that call sucks and cost the Mavs the game just need to shut thier mouths... For all we know the refs cost the Rockets the last two games in your series by kicking Artest out both times... Just stop whining the game turns out the way it turns out, the refs made alot of horrible calls in that game and if he really wanted to show he was making an intentional foul he should have just wrapped up Melo... GO NUGGETS

broncsnugzbrave
05-10-2009, 10:10 AM
If I am going for an intentional foul I am not going to bump the guy then put my arms up in the air like I was trying to say i didn't foul him.

Gilbert>TheRest
05-10-2009, 10:11 AM
its pissing me off the nuggets fan are actually trying to argue about this. how the hell can u not think melo got fouled before the shot. u guys are saying things like "well wright should have fouled harder" no not really he obviously fouled him and the refs should have called it.

bahama0811
05-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Was it a foul, probably. Did the refs call it, no. I don't think a lot of Nuggets fan's are saying it wasn't a foul. What we are saying is that if you're trying to intentionally foul someone you wrap them up. You grab their arms and give them a hug. You don't just try to body them and then put your arms up like you didn't want to foul. He didn't put his arms up to not draw a shooting foul. If you don't want a shooting foul you wrap up. It was Wright's fault just as much as the refs. He should've fouled Melo out by half court while Melo was fumbling it around. Yes it was a foul but they didn't call it. Don't be mad at the Nuggets, be mad at the refs.

Ironman5219
05-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm glad to see the NBA offical admit they made a mistake. Its a human factor and part of the games. Mav fans have every right to be pissed, but at the end of the day thats the way the game went down, over all the better team is going to win this series. I'm just glad the NBA stepped up and admitted a mistake.

MiamiHeat
05-10-2009, 10:25 AM
the only person to blame for the Mavs lost is Antoine Wright for just giving him a love tap and not fouling him hard

props to Melo for hitting that shot and for not stop playing

BRAVE KID
05-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Added Wright: ďI was positive a whistle was coming, just like everybody else was positive the whistle was coming. I made a play on the ball like I was told in the huddle, and the call wasnít made. Ö Iím upset like everyone else in this locker room, and I feel like we have a right to be upset.Ē

That is your mistake kid, never assume anything, especially with ****** refs these days. refs suck in all sports

mser58
05-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Awful, the NBA officiating kills me, Lebron/Kobe/D-Wade lower their shoulders and push off some dudes head and the victim gets a flagrant, Wright is trying to make a good clean foul and he can't get a call? Jesus the statement would infuriate me if I was a Mavs fan.

NYYankeesWin#27
05-10-2009, 10:59 AM
i hate ****ing blown calls

TragicallyHip
05-10-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't understand how you miss a call when 89 free throws were shot in 1 game! Why change the way you call a game at the end?

This proves the NBA is rigged.

Luv Da New Pack
05-10-2009, 11:32 AM
This is a mistake by the NBA.

There have been more egregious calls missed and you take a so-so call and offer an olive branch? All this does is decrease our trust in the sport more. It's the Mavs fault for not wrapping Melo up. You don't assume the refs are aware of your defensive strategy and they don't want to decide the game in the last few seconds. Also, in assuming they would foul (which the Nuggets did) they were going to go immediately into the shooting motion which would have made it a 4 point play via continuation. So then people would be crying that it was on the floor. Take responsibility for your execution Mavericks and suck it up. How about having a clutch shooter to give you a little separation when it was needed. Hell, something going to the basket when you have the lead at home instead of a fade away. How about that. People always want to look externally for blame. Try looking in the mirror.

Luv Da New Pack
05-10-2009, 11:36 AM
What we are saying is that if you're trying to intentionally foul someone you wrap them up. You grab their arms and give them a hug. You don't just try to body them and then put your arms up like you didn't want to foul. He didn't put his arms up to not draw a shooting foul. If you don't want a shooting foul you wrap up. It was Wright's fault just as much as the refs. He should've fouled Melo out by half court while Melo was fumbling it around. Yes it was a foul but they didn't call it. Don't be mad at the Nuggets, be mad at the refs.

They should be mad at themselves for poor execution down the stretch.

nik.jd.aitken
05-10-2009, 11:39 AM
It was a joke non-call, but Dirk shot the ball with a TON of time left on the shot clock.

They shouldn't have even been in a situation to lose.

Luv Da New Pack
05-10-2009, 11:41 AM
i hate ****ing blown calls

Both way (getting or not getting). Especially when they change the course of a series.

icon1914
05-10-2009, 11:43 AM
I still say Wright messed himself up by not simply committing a hand check foul. If Carmelo missed the three no one would be complaining. You don't stop playing until the whistle blows. Never expect the refs to be right every time. If he had continued to play defense maybe Carmelo wold have missed.

Wright messed up... yeah the the refs might have blown the call... but while the contact was obvious... it was not obvious that he was trying for an intentional foul....

Luv Da New Pack
05-10-2009, 11:46 AM
It was a joke non-call, but Dirk shot the ball with a TON of time left on the shot clock.

They shouldn't have even been in a situation to lose.

Good point...but no one ever wants to look internally for issues with execution and time management. It's always someone else whose fault it was. With a lead I would have shot a rainbow that would have hit the scoreboard with a 4 second difference.

C_Mund
05-10-2009, 12:10 PM
So why is it when I make the exact same point I'm being a "Nuggets homer" and when Kidd says it he's being a "classy guy"? :eyebrow:

You have two choices:

a) Either Kidd, by virtue of making the exact same argument I made (that Dallas failed to do enough down the stretch to lock down the game in the first place) is just as much of a Nuggets homer as I am.

or

b) I, by virtue of the fact that I'm making the same argument as Kidd, am also a "classy guy", and not a hypocrite or a Nuggets homer.

Which is it?

Neither. The difference is that if Kidd talks the way we do he gets a 5-figure ticket from the league.
I just can't believe that most of these nuggets fans are acting like Celts fans when Garnett didn't get called for taunting pretty much every point guard in the league. Just because your team comes out on top doesn't make it right. There's no point in being smug because the Mavs are going to man-up and move on. You won the game, don't act like it was just a normal clutch shot, because it wasn't.
...and by the way, don't come back with "we're winning so..." because I actually like the Nuggets, but it always sucks to see a team win that way.

C_Mund
05-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Good point...but no one ever wants to look internally for issues with execution and time management. It's always someone else whose fault it was. With a lead I would have shot a rainbow that would have hit the scoreboard with a 4 second difference.

..Sure they do, it's called losing. It happens to one out of two teams per game.
However, the refs aren't there to judge execution, they're supposed to monitor the OTHER parts of the game.

Sandman
05-10-2009, 12:14 PM
I wish people would quit making excuses and admit the NBA blew this one.
One of the first things you're taught as a kid, in ANY sport, is you PLAY TO THE WHISTLE.

He didn't. Melo did. Melo won the game AS A DIRECT RESULT.

Sandman
05-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't understand how you miss a call when 89 free throws were shot in 1 game! Why change the way you call a game at the end?

This proves the NBA is rigged.

Yes, the NBA rigged Melo's ball to go in, at the buzzer. :eyebrow:

king4day
05-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Should be safe to say those refs will not be working anymore games in this series (not in dallas at least)

Luv Da New Pack
05-10-2009, 12:34 PM
However, the refs aren't there to judge execution, they're supposed to monitor the OTHER parts of the game.

And if you execute you take guessing game out of the equation. Just keep the finger-pointing going.

WadeCounty
05-10-2009, 12:37 PM
yes that was a foul but i dont see it as them getting robbed cuz if he would have missed the shot they wouldnt even be complaining about the no call foul in the first place since they would have won

Luv Da New Pack
05-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Yes, the NBA rigged Melo's ball to go in, at the buzzer. :eyebrow:

Why is it that any game that people don't like the outcome means the game is rigged? I've seen wayyyy worse calls (during this post season) that would make people think this but this situation is seen quite frequently in the nba that's why people wrap up the potential "fouly" and continue the foul so there is no continuation instead of throwing the hands up like they didn't mean to do it.

We all know the league doesn't like longer series, more revenue, and higher ratings.

Sandman
05-10-2009, 12:45 PM
People are calling for them to stay consistent -- they haven't been trying to blow the whistle in the last few minutes of games.

Especially on the team that's winning by two points with seconds left. You know how many fans are going to be pissed to let a guy take three free throws down by two points? The same amount: however many fans the losing team had.

Denver-boy
05-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Get the ***** over yourselfs.... Mavs would of lost the series anyways! I hate to see players and coaches ****** over one play! When they lost the game playing bad DEFENSE! It is what it is! I felt the same way on some games, it just wasnt blown up and made such a big deal.... if it was the bucks ESPN could give a ***** .... MAVS Stop Crying! Josh Howard and Cuban having their baby fits! EXACTLY why i have no respect for the Mavs

DENVERS 3-0

jimbobjarree
05-10-2009, 12:59 PM
screwed cus of the refs, and I bet the refs wont even get punished for it, they'll be back out there screwing up the next big game they get their hands on

Denver-boy
05-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Dammit you guys figured it out! We paid the refs! Who snitched????

Sandman
05-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Dammit you guys figured it out! We paid the refs! Who snitched????

Clearly the ball was also on the payroll. :mad:

Luv Da New Pack
05-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Clearly the ball was also on the payroll. :mad:

So are you telling me you didn't see that Melo's shot was actually going into the 1st row but started to change it's trajectory right through the net. Hell, I guess we're all feeling the economic pinch. They only use so many balls in the next round and it wants security.

Denva4Life
05-10-2009, 01:13 PM
whatever if melo misses that shot ... i guarantee no mavericks, cuban, or any mav fan would be crying foul....

Reversed86Curse
05-10-2009, 01:14 PM
The entire playoffs have been poorly officiated as a whole- why should it be surprising that the ref's blew a call? Bad officiating should just be considered part of the game....

Luv Da New Pack
05-10-2009, 01:19 PM
The entire playoffs have been poorly officiated as a whole- why should it be surprising that the ref's blew a call? Bad officiating should just be considered part of the game....

Honestly, they have been officiated poorly and I actually believe that there should be repercussions for egregious calls. Usually there are certain refs that do better jobs and I've even seen some of those go awry. They lose eligibility to work more games but does that help when you cost a team a chance of a lifetime and make them wait another year.

Katspinal1313
05-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Just saw the replay. That was the worst intentional foul I have ever seen. It looked like he was making a play on the ball. If you want to get a foul called against you, you have to wrap the body or really butcher the guy. If I was a ref I would not have called that either at the end of the game. Unless the Mavs went to every ref and told them that they are going to foul.

I couldn't agree more.... And I didn't read the entire forum, that would have been Wrights 6 and final foul. He threw his hands up because he didn't want to foul out. With a foul to give was it really the Mav's strategy to foul out their best Melo defender so we could take it out of bounds and try again? Maybe tie it with a quick 2 and they play overtime without him..... They are complaining because they got burned.

If Wright was supposed to foul him, he did the worst most reluctant, Oh crap Im the only one close so let me try for the ball....Oh my hands are up... I didn't foul him...Oh dang it went in.... Hey ref... didn't u see I was trying to foul out of the game with 2 seconds left up only by 2!

C_Mund
05-10-2009, 01:38 PM
whatever if melo misses that shot ... i guarantee no mavericks, cuban, or any mav fan would be crying foul....

Very true...but what about Denver fans? You're going to tell me that there wouldn't be a thread on PSD claiming that the refs should have called a foul and Melo got screwed?
I don't think that this play really had much of an effect on the outcome of the series, but ya gotta admit that it sucks to see refs blow a call.

Gilbert>TheRest
05-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Get the ***** over yourselfs.... Mavs would of lost the series anyways! I hate to see players and coaches ****** over one play! When they lost the game playing bad DEFENSE! It is what it is! I felt the same way on some games, it just wasnt blown up and made such a big deal.... if it was the bucks ESPN could give a ***** .... MAVS Stop Crying! Josh Howard and Cuban having their baby fits! EXACTLY why i have no respect for the Mavs

DENVERS 3-0

you know you would be acting the same way if something like this happened to the nuggets

ARMIN12NBA
05-10-2009, 02:52 PM
keg, it's 10pm and I've been up since 6 this morning (when I woke up to watch the Nuggets game) and I'm drunk from going to the park all day after the game with my wife and friends and drinking by the beach and then going out to dinner and having a lot more beer and sake and some killer Japanese (and other kinds of) food.

Bottom line: A blatant elbow to the head, and a very subtle chest to the shoulder are far, far, FAR from being the same.

You are being hypocritical in saying any true NBA fan would simply want the RIGHT call made.

The argument was not about Kobe's elbow to Artest's chest. It was about the mistake in calling Flagrant 2 on Artest on Pau. You said IT MUST HAVE BEEN CALLED CORRECTLY and you had a HUGE hissy fit over something that was completely irrelevant to the outcome of the game. Then you explained that you just wanted the right call.

Now, you are changing your tune in favor of the Nuggets. Interesting...:eyebrow:

NYtilIdie
05-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Really whats the point of issuing this statement? Its not like there going to redo that part of the game or anything so its pretty pointless

Draco
05-10-2009, 03:06 PM
You are being hypocritical in saying any true NBA fan would simply want the RIGHT call made.

You're being obtuse.. If I wasn't already familiar with your posting history, I would have thought intentionally obtuse.

SlowMo
05-10-2009, 03:47 PM
The no-call was missed, but it also wasn't a blatant foul. As a long time nuggets fan, I know how much it feels like the refs are screwing your team over. (All Nuggets fans felt like this for the last 4 years in the post-season). So I feel your pain Dallas.

I'm not arguing that the bump was justified a "no-call". But the only player on that side of the court still trying to win when no whistle sounded, was Melo. And he still hit a difficult 3 pointer. The game was not handed to the nuggets, but the opportunity was there And Melo took advantage of it. He scored the last 5 points of the game in a span of 26 seconds to steal the game, not the refs.

Anyway, don't quote me and continue to argue that I'm wrong and refs screwed Dallas. I know, the foul probably should have been called. It wasn't, but only 1 guy on the court was still working hard, and now its a 3-0 hole.

CrotchetyOldMan
05-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Only have one thing to say about this play. Wright has to foul a lot harder and more convincingly in the last seconds of a game. We all know that refs change how they call the game in the last 30 seconds. They always let the touchy fouls go and let the players play. Now Mavs fans are complaining about the refs missing the little tiny bump foul that Wright committed, when they should be complaining that Wright didn't have enough sense to commit a real foul. You have to wrap melo up on that play period. I'm astonished by the NBA saying that the call should have been made because that call is NEVER made in the last 30 seconds. NEVER! All you Mavs fans need to check your anger at the refs and aim it at the deserving parties namely Wright and Rick Carlisle for not letting the players know what had to be done.

Denver-boy
05-10-2009, 05:22 PM
I don't feel bad, we were getting screwed by the refs the whole game. Nothing changed, they didn't call touch fouls like that on the Mavs the whole game.

I agree with that statment!! It's true... Nugz get zero Respect, when we win were cheaters... when we lose we suck??? I hate ESPN

F ck you ESPN and Cuban! WERE 3-0 stop biiiitchen

mjt20mik
05-10-2009, 06:58 PM
thats NOT good enough.

It's not only this year. Even last year in the playoffs, the Refs didn't call like a bunch of fouls on the Celtics when the Lakers played them in the Finals. So you can't really notice the bad refereeing now.

superkegger
05-10-2009, 07:00 PM

I never said the fouls were the same, I clearly recognize the difference. It's not about the severity of the foul at all though. You said

Any NBA fan who respects good basketball being played without undue interference from the officials has every right to be angry at that call. And so I am.

That was in reference to the wrong call (flagrant 2) being made on Ron Artest. To which the NBA then came out and said they were wrong, and changed it to a flagrant 1.

Then, Wright fouls Melo, and no call was made. Which was the wrong call, which was acknowledged by the NBA when they said the call was wrong.

So I say to you,

Any NBA fan who respects good basketball being played without undue interference from the officials has every right to be angry at that call.

You have two choices:

or

Which is it?

I guess you've never hear of being politically correct?

Jason isn't making excuses for his team losing, because it's not going to get him anywere. He gave the politically correct answer, because blasting the officials would get him where exactly? I mean, I'm sure he wants to come off as a sore loser and a prick...but he said what'd you expect a 15 year veteran to say.

itsontheway.phx
05-10-2009, 07:42 PM
:cry:I am so sick of hearing you mavs fans crying about stupid garbage. it is your fault that you are down, you should have never left that kind of call in the refs hands to begin with. besides if any team has a leg to stand on about getting screwed it is the phoenix suns and we as fans dont cry. GOT TO LOVE TEXAS.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
DENVER IN 4

LAKERS/ DENVER= DENVER IN 6

DENVER/ CAVS = CAVS IN 6

LOVE YOU NUGS, SORRY TO SAY IT IS LABRONS YEAR

DenButsu
05-10-2009, 10:13 PM
So I say to you,

Any NBA fan who respects good basketball being played without undue interference from the officials has every right to be angry at that call.

I never said they didn't. What I will say though is that they're wrong if they say that Denver didn't earn that win, or didn't deserve it.

But again, don't take my word for it:

-------------------------------

Donít blame ref; Dallas Mavericks had their chances

You get what you deserve, and in this case, there will be no Mavs recovery from a 3-0 series hole, with Game 4 formalities coming up here Monday night.

Despite a controversial ending, let there be no Mavs crying, not after missing two free throws (one by Jason Terry, one by Josh Howard) in the final 2:12, among four clanged in the fourth quarter. Or when Dirk Nowitzki, who otherwise was very game, threw up a lame shot with 7.9 seconds left, which was a failure in three areas:

No. 1, he missed. No. 2, Dirk didnít milk the shot clock enough, leaving three critical seconds and 6.5 overall. No. 3, while guarded man-to-man by Kenyon Martin, he didnít do what he had been doing much of the afternoon. Driving the rim hard, getting to the line...

The Mavs missed on the critical next possession, and Dirk did miss.

So please, can the crying. Or better yet, listen to Jason Kidd.

"The game didnít come down to the last play," he said, wisely. "You have to make plays down the stretch and we didnít do that. The officials didnít make every call that was right, but we had free-throw opportunities that we missed, and we didnít get a big stop at the end."

Amen. Plus, Kidd also added, "We lost. There was nothing taken [from us]. The history of the league is a game is going to be won or lost by the players coming down the stretch. The officiating tendencies are not to make a call, and the players will decide it."

Anthony decided it, not once, but twice in the final 28 seconds.
Fort Worth Star Telegram (http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/1368037.html) <<<<==== Yes, that is Fort Worth, Texas, of the Dallas/Fort Worth region (So I'm guessing, probably not Nuggets homers - and also, perhaps unlike Kidd, under no obligation to be "politically correct" as you put it)

There's no guarantee that the Nuggets wouldn't have won this Game 3 anyway, with a different dagger in the last few ticks, had the refs called the foul on Wright. The Mavs had a foul to give, which would forced Denver to inbound the ball one more time, but we're talking about the hottest playoff team this side of Cleveland.

There's also no question that the Mavericks left themselves open to this kind of ending by (a) failing to build a first-quarter cushion when Denver missed 15 of its first 17 shots, (b) uncharacteristically clanking four huge free throws in the fourth quarter, (c) allowing Anthony to score so quickly and easily with that dunk with less than 30 seconds to go when they had a four-point lead and then (d) wasting the crunch-time chances they had to make this a 2-1 series instead of a 3-0 lost cause. Nowitzki blamed himself after missing two midrange jumpers in the final minute, with opportunities to hike the Mavs' lead to five points and then four, after living off one-on-one isolations against Kenyon Martin in the two games in Denver.

There's likewise no doubt that the resulting hubbub about the missed call -- and the NBA's admission that referee Mark Wunderlich messed up by not calling the foul on Wright when the Mavs' intentions seemed so obvious -- will slice into the appreciation Denver deserves for finding a way to stretch its season record against Dallas to an amazing 7-0. The clutchest shot of Anthony's career enabled him to finish with 31 points after a 1-for-9 start from the field. Chauncey Billups, with 23 of his 32 points in a sterling second half, provided the pick-me-up for a supporting cast Nuggets coach George Karl described as "disoriented." You'd be hearing a lot more about how peeved Denver was with the officiating if not for those two.

The Nuggets privately fumed about the foul trouble that plagued all their big men, as well as the fact that Dallas was called for just three team fouls in the fourth quarter. However Ö

If the refs are involved, with Cuban and his Mavs in the middle of the mayhem, you know where the spotlight is going...

"I had my shots, and we had the game," Nowitzki said, acknowledging the cost of his 0-for-5 finish in the final 2:38 if you include his no-hope heave at the buzzer.
ESPN (Marc Stein) (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=NuggetsMavs-090509)

I'll begin with a question...could Denver really be this good? Could they take out the Mavs in 4, maybe 5 games? I certainly didn't think so at the beginning of the series but it's becoming more and more likely as games go by that they are that good. Today, the Nuggets didn't really play well but still pulled out a victory; in fact, before halftime, they were shooting below 30% from the field and yet they were still in the lead. If there was ever a time for Dallas to get back into this series, today was it...and they failed. Yet again, Carmelo and Chauncey stepped up big time especially in the clutch with 'Melo nailing a three pointer with a second left to seal the deal. Unbelievable. Not surprisingly, the stats weren't all that different between the two teams. There was a fair, albeit insane, amount of fouls called (61) and free throws shot today for both teams. Neither team shot that well from the floor, neither team turned the ball over too much, and both teams made a substantial amount of free throws. In the end it boils down to one fact - the better team won.

Why the Nuggets won
Truthfully, though this game will undoubtedly prove controversial in the end, the real reason Denver won is because of their resilience. In fact, I'll go as far to say that they are the most resilient team in the league. Despite not playing that well and shooting poorly, this Denver team still clawed their way through an important and ugly win. I mean, there were 61 fouls called and Dallas made 40/49 free throws (almost half their points) and Denver still won. It would've been easy for Denver to take this game off and try to get the next one in Dallas before heading back home to close the series out in Denver, but Chauncey Billups would have none of it. He had a stellar third quarter scoring 16 points and jump-starting this Denver offense which was fairly stagnant for the most part today. Really, give this Denver team credit, they never gave up and certainly never backed down which propelled them into a virtual series lock.

Why the Mavericks lost
Again, it's becoming more and more evident they're not nearly as good as this Denver team. For them to win, they are going to need to play a damn near flawless game and put the Nuggets away early. Obviously, that didn't happen tonight. As mentioned above, Denver was still in the lead at half time despite shooting under 30%; if the Mavs were to win any game, this would've been the one. They made 40 free throws and had a +8 foul differential and still lost. Dirk Nowitzki once again had a great game and carried his team much of the way, but it just wasn't enough to counteract Billups in the third quarter and Carmelo in the clutch. Speaking of Dirk, he had 16 rebounds and the next player closest to him had only 5. That's not going to get it done against a team like Denver who had 4 players with 6 rebounds or more. Though Dallas didn't turn the ball over very much today, they also didn't create turnovers on the defensive end which allowed Denver ample time to get their rhythm scoring 27 or more points in the last three quarters of today's game. They have no one to blame but themselves for being in the position they were in at the end of the game.
TalkHoops (http://talkhoops.net/2009/05/2009-nba-playoffs-nuggets-mavericks-game-3-recap.html)

Dallas blew it

The Mavericks-Nuggets game just ended and the Dallas Mavericks are running around, acting like a bunch of buffoons because they just fell into a 3-0 hole from which they will not escape. The play that set them off was Carmelo Anthonyís three-pointer with one second left, which turned out to be the game-winner.

Antoine Wright had attempted to give a foul just before Anthonyís shot. He did so by bumping ĎMelo with his chest, not once, but twice. On the second one, Anthony doled out as much of a blow as he took and his progress towards the spot he was trying to get to wasnít really impeded. Was it a foul? Maybe. Probably. But not definitely. When youíre giving a foul, give it. Wright had a chance to wrap up Anthony and he didnít do it. He just bumped him. The whistle probably should have been blown, but it wasnít. So Wright screwed up.

Wright then screwed up again. Assuming that the whistle had blown, he stopped playing. That is a cardinal sin ó in any sport. Anthony kept right on going and drilled the game-winner. Everyone on the Dallas sideline, including Rick Carlisle and Mark Cuban, was going ballistic. The fact of the matter is that they had no one to blame but themselves. Well, Antione Wright specifically. In any event, donít take it out on the officials. Iím sure itíll be played up differently in the national media, of which I guess weíre a part, but I donít see anything controversial about that ending.
Basketball Prospectus (http://www.basketballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=255)

Rivers to Celtics: Foul right way, not Wright way

On the morning after one of the more controversial nights of the NBA playoffs, Doc Rivers sent a message to his team: If we have a foul to give, make sure you commit it the right way.

In other words, not the Wright way.

The controversial ending to Saturday night's Nuggets-Mavericks game was one of the primary topics of discussion at the Celtics' morning shootaround Sunday, with the teaching emphasis on having players use both arms to wrap up an opposing player on the perimeter to ensure the referee whistles the foul.

"The wrap-up also takes longer than raking a guy across the arms, and it reduces the chance that he can get off an attempt and get three foul shots," Rivers said.

In the Nuggets-Mavs game, Antoine Wright appeared to intentionally foul Denver's Carmelo Anthony twice when Dallas had a foul to give, and the NBA took the highly unusual action of issuing a statement after the game saying the referees had not made the correct call.

Among the Celtics' players, the lingering impression was that Wright was as much at fault as anyone because he did not commit the foul in the proper manner -- especially when he had the perfect opportunity at the moment when Anthony bobbled the ball before regaining control and sinking the game-winning shot.
ESPN (Chris Sheridan) (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4156063)

How to Foul When You Want to Foul

Yes, what Antoine Wright did to Carmelo Anthony was a foul, but you play the game the way the referees call it. In that light I have three recommendations for the Mavericks next time they find themselves in that situation.

1. Tell the officials you want to foul before the shot goes up. It is not against the rules to communicate your strategy to do to the officials. For years players and coaches have informed refs that they want to call a timeout as soon as they grab a rebound. If the officials know what you want to do they will be anticipating that you are going to do it and that makes it much more likely that they will make the call you are looking for. Plus, I have no idea if the on court referees keep track of who has a foul to give or not. In fact, the scorerís table passes that information on to them specifically so they do not have to keep track of that kind of thing.

2. If you are going to foul, foul. Do not make a weak slap at the ball/arm. Wrap the offensive player up. Grab him, hold him like you are at the prom. Leave the referees no choice, but to call the foul.

3. After the contact do not put your hands up in the air and act like you did not foul. Making the French national gesture with you arms up in surrender communicates that you did not intend to foul and do not want to be called for a foul. Players have been making that gesture hoping to avoid a whistle since God created referees.

If there is something to be said for the officials I think it is clear that the game was officiated the way the Mavericks need it to be officiated in order to have a chance to beat the Nuggets. The Nuggets physical play was penalized all night long, which is fine and I think the officials were pretty consistent all night long. The result was the game turned into a dreadful non-stop parade to the foul line. Now, please note, I did not say the referees screwed the Nuggets nor did I say the Mavericks got all the calls. Denver shot plenty of free throws too. If Dallas wants to complain about the refs, and judging by the reaction of Mark Cuban following the game they do, tonight was not the night to do it.
Roundball Mining Company (http://www.roundballminingcompany.com/2009/05/09/how-to-foul-when-you-want-to-foul/)

superkegger
05-11-2009, 12:26 AM
You're changing the argument Den. I never said, Dallas deserved to win. Or that they didn't blow the game in other areas. I said, the refs blew a call, and as a fan of the NBA, I'm rather upset that they got such an important call completely wrong.

You post away as to why the Nuggets won, and Kudos to them for not giving up and making the plays. But the fact still remains that the Mavs had a strategy, and executed it, and the refs made the wrong call. Why you're so adamant on not admitting the refs absolutely blew the non call I really don't understand.

Randy West
05-11-2009, 12:43 AM
How can you say he didn't foul hard enough? Were the other 61 fouls hard enough? It was an intentional foul, my 6 year old knows an intentional foul when he sees it. The problem with these referees is they suck. Its not just that game its all the games. There hasn't been a decent called game this whole playoffs. They r issuing techs, people r getting ejected and etc. This playoffs has simply been a free throw contest, and not what the nba is about. And to say it didn't cost them the game? You obviously dont know basketball. They were trying to use an intentional foul because they had 1 to give. I wish people would quit making excuses and admit the NBA blew this one. Hell they admitted it.

I can say he didn't make it obvious or a whistle would have been blown. He could have wrapped him up bear hugged him so to speak.......left no doubt that he was fouling.

You have Dirk and Kidd admit it didn't cost them the game......but they probably don't know anything about basketball either right??

"The game didn't come down to that last play," Dallas guard Jason Kidd said. "You've got to make plays down the stretch, and we just didn't do that."

With just 00:28 ticks left I think the whole building knew that Dirk would be taking the final Dallas shot. Dirk took the ball to the free throw line and took his famous fall away shot that heís made consistently in the series and in his career, but when it counted he clanked it right off the front of the rim.

Carlisle said he wanted Wright to ďGet him, get him, take it.Ē Well, Wright did not follow suit. Would a ďDerek FisherĒ be warranted on that final play? Of course not, but a simple bear hug would have been enough. Wright, instead, attempted to steal the ball and came up empty with just a slight bump and then threw his hands into the air as if to say, ďI didnít touch him!Ē Weíve all seen that 1,000 times. And Melo did his part he kept playing.

Dallas had many opportunities to put the game away and get back in the series and didn't. I won a nice chunk of change on the game and the NBA obviously is not going to go back and change the outcome.

I know plenty about basketball I knew enough to bet on the Nuggets. I know Denver is up 3-0 and I know Dallas and Cuban will be watching the WCF from home. It is easy to call a foul after the fact watching the reply in slow motion. It would have been just as easy for Wright to wrap Melo up and leave no doubt about his intentions.........he didn't and they lost. Really pretty simple. I wonder if your six year old picked up on that?

DenButsu
05-11-2009, 01:17 AM
You're changing the argument Den. I never said, Dallas deserved to win. Or that they didn't blow the game in other areas. I said, the refs blew a call, and as a fan of the NBA, I'm rather upset that they got such an important call completely wrong.

You post away as to why the Nuggets won, and Kudos to them for not giving up and making the plays. But the fact still remains that the Mavs had a strategy, and executed it, and the refs made the wrong call. Why you're so adamant on not admitting the refs absolutely blew the non call I really don't understand.

I'm changing the argument? :laugh2:

Okay, please show me the post where I was "so adamant on not admitting the refs absolutely blew the non call". If you were actually paying attention to what I was posting, you'd have seen that I in fact have said it was a foul (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9420355&highlight=foul#post9420355).

But I've also said it was a really weak-*** foul, which it was, and by not wrapping up Melo Wright did a horrible job (which he did), and by assuming that the play would stop even though there was no whistle and failing to follow through and continue to play defense on Melo, Wright failed once again (which he did).

Also, Wright is wrong. After the game, he said, "I mean, all night long the whistle was blowing fast. The whistle was blowing. At the end of the game when we're blatantly trying to foul, the whistle wasn't blowing."

Well, he's not completely wrong, he's HALF right. The whistle was constantly blowing in the second half - against the Nuggets. The Mavericks were called for a measly 3 fouls in the 4th quarter, the Nuggets were called for 18 in the 3rd. So yeah, the whistle was blowing often, but in the Mavs' favor. So then what they're really looking for is not consistency in how the game was called, because the game was called against Denver the whole time. What they're looking for was the rare whistle blown against them in the 4th. If anything, the refs were consistent - bad, but consistent, in NOT blowing the whistle on Dallas.

But to me the true bottom line of this game will always be that when it came to executiong down the stretch, the Mavericks failed, and the Nuggets delivered. Denver got the ball down 4 with 0:31 remaining, and Dallas had a HORRIBLE defensive collapse, letting Melo score the easy layup with 0:28 remaining. The importance of this error can not be overstated. If they had played even just slightly better defense, and had at least prevented the score for long enough to run the game clock down to under the 0:24 they'd get on the shot clock in their next possession, they get the ball back in total control of the game. But no, they failed to do that, and they gave a measure of control back to Denver. Then, Nowitski made two mistakes, the first being that he took his shot with 0:05 remaining on the shot clock instead of letting a couple more seconds tick off it (allowing Denver to gain possession and call timeout with 6.5 seconds remaining instead of more like 3 seconds), and the second one being that he forced up a heavily contested jumper and missed it. In fact, with 0:58 remaining two possessions earlier, he had missed another jumper that would have put Dallas up 5 at the time. In fact, Dirk, who until then had shot 9-14, went 0-5 in the final minutes of the game, and the Mavericks went 3-6 from the free throw line. Meanwhile, Melo made that clutch layup and, foul or not, he carried through with that final play and made that clutch three. We'll never know how the game would have ended if the ref had blown that whistle, but it was Denver's execution down the stretch - and Dallas' failure to execute - that ultimately won the Nuggets the game.

bahama0811
05-11-2009, 01:01 PM
An ugly, menacing, gray cloud hung over Dallas and its Mavericks on Sunday.

"Big D" has a big "L." Denver is the "Bigger D."

Antoine Wright, like the comic strip character Joe Btfsplk, travels with a rain cloud over his head. Not only does he feel like the Nuggets stole Game 3, but the day before, Wright filed a police report stating that jewelry valued at $120,000 had been stolen from him.

In the Mavs' hangover because of the Nuggets' late victory, on a phenomenal, contradictory frantic-calm 3-point basket by Carmelo Anthony, this much is now known:

• As the game's referees — Bennett Salvatore, Ken Mauer and Mark Wunderlich — discussed the play in their dressing room after the game, each said to the others he did not see "Wrongway" Wright's "phantom foul," an NBA official (who watched the game closely) told me. "Later, when (the referees) saw the replays, there wasn't a clear-cut foul in that situation."

• Wunderlich, accused by Dallas coach Rick Carlisle of missing the call, was behind and just to the right of Anthony in the last moments of the play; his view of Wright reaching in was blocked, and he was trying to check if Anthony's feet were outside the 3-point arc.

• It is customary procedure for coaches to inform referees, at the end of a timeout, that there will be an intentional foul given. Referees will not "anticipate" an intentional foul. "I always tell one referee, and all three if I can get their attention, that we'll be giving a foul," Nuggets coach George Karl said Sunday.

• Karl said — naturally — he didn't see a foul. He wouldn't have asked his team to intentionally foul in that situation — "I'd rather play tough defense" — and he was more concerned the referees had, minutes earlier, missed two calls that benefited the Mavs — a Jason Terry flop and a loose ball foul in a pileup against Anthony. "What about the 20 calls we didn't get?" Karl asked.

• Anthony reiterated at the Nuggets' workout Sunday morning that he "didn't feel" a hack on the arm, "nothing" and wasn't fouled, but if the circumstances were reversed, he would have "made sure everyone knew it was a foul."

• Chauncey Billups rhetorically asked Sunday that if Wright indeed fouled Anthony, "why did he hold up both hands and act like he hadn't done anything?" Billups demonstrated Wright's reaction (as if surrendering with raised hands in a stagecoach robbery). "If he wanted to foul, put Carmelo in a bearhug," Billups said.

• The NBA source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is prohibited by the league from publicly addressing controversial game issues, said the referees had advised both teams that, as a result of the bunkhouse-rough tactics in the playoff series, the game would be called vise-tight. Billups confirmed the warning. "Mauer told me it would be unbelievable. About six minutes in, I said to him, 'Kenny, you're right. It is unbelievable.' "

• Despite the 61 fouls (or 62, if Wright's right) and the 89 free throws attempted by both sides, the Nuggets' 34 fouls and 40 foul shots did not set club playoff records (40 fouls and 48 free throws tried).

• The NBA referees declined to talk with a pool reporter following the game, after their hasty conversation with league president Joel Litvin, saying they couldn't "answer questions about a judgment call." Two hours later, Litvin e-mailed writers and said the referees had erred by not calling the intentional foul before Anthony's 3-point shot. The referees, the source said, were "not upset by the league's announcement, but (they) believe it was the correct noncall in that situation." According to the source, one of the referees said: "If they think we missed the call, that's their decision."

• The Mavericks are certain they were riveted on the play. One Nuggets insider, who requested his name not be associated with this column, told me: "We felt the referees were trying to (rivet) us because with time about run out, we had no shot at winning the game, so they weren't going to make any call."

• The Mavericks had calmed their carping on Sunday, but the Dallas media and even guard Jason Kidd blamed the Mavericks for getting themselves into that predicament. The Mavs had four chances to put the game away before the frenetic finish. Of the NBA's quasi-apology, Dirk Nowitzki said to reporters at practice: "If I was the league, I wouldn't say that. I don't think it makes anybody feel better. We don't get the last seven seconds back. . . . I think it made it worse."

This much is still known:

You can't take away the Nuggets' 106-105 victory over the Mavericks and a 3-0 series lead.

Nothing but a dark cloud for the Mavericks. Nothing but blue skies for the Nuggets.
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_12340395?source=rss

Denva4Life
05-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Very true...but what about Denver fans? You're going to tell me that there wouldn't be a thread on PSD claiming that the refs should have called a foul and Melo got screwed?
I don't think that this play really had much of an effect on the outcome of the series, but ya gotta admit that it sucks to see refs blow a call.

well yeah lol... but it wasnt the first foul the refs blew and it wont be the last... jason kidd said it best... that call didnt cost the game... they were up by 4 at the end and dirk took a bad shot.

MPScribbles
05-11-2009, 01:53 PM
How about just man up and play some defense? If he wanted to foul he could have tried to steal the ball. That way it's almost a win-win. Either you get the steal or you're called for the foul. In any case they had the lead with very little time on the clock. Man up and play defense. I've said before and will say again, an intentional foul by a team with the lead should be a technical just like an intentional foul against a man that doesn't have the ball. PLAY DEFENSE!

Big Zo
05-11-2009, 01:56 PM
LOL at Mark Cuban for trying to pick a fight with K-Mart's mom. What a ***!

what54!?
05-11-2009, 02:00 PM
that was a garbage statment. :laugh:

Sandman
05-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Interesting point, that a team with the lead should get T'd for an intentional foul...

TmacBryant
05-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Nba fails!!!