PDA

View Full Version : What If LeBron Goes Abroad?

Jaji
05-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Everyone is speculating where LeBron James is going to call home after the 2009-2010 season. Will he stay in Cleveland? Go to Brooklyn? Will there even be a team in Brooklyn? The Knicks with D'Antoni, the Lakers with Kobe? I've even seen threads on PSD about him going to the NFL!

Well here's a thought for you... What if LeBron goes abroad? How would that impact the NBA and the world of sports as a whole. Face it, LeBron can name his price wherever he plays. He could probably make way more money overseas because they don't have the salary cap like the NBA. Whoever wants the best player in the world would have to pay top dollar/euro/whatever for him. He'd still have Nike, who pays him the most anyway, and all his other endorsements plus more. He'd be a true Global figure.

Hey Josh Childress did it. More and more players may start to do it in the future. The game of basketball has grown so much in recent years. Remember the 1st Dream Team? Did you ever think another country would come within 20 points of the US Olympic team once they started sending the pros? It's certainly a new day and LeBron could open up everyone's eyes :speechless:.

ccugrad1
05-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Why would LeBron want to leave Cleveland? They are going to be a championship contender for years to come, the East is basically the same once you get past Cleveland, Boston, and Orlando, and he is basically a god there.

He wouldn't go to LA with Kobe because there wouldn't be enough basketball to appease their egos; why would he want to go play for the bottom-feeder of the East known as the Knicks; and the Nets aren't worth squat.

I think a lot of people are getting so hyped about the 2010 class and outside of maybe Chris Bosh, I can't see too many of the big names going anywhere.

JaySmoke
05-08-2009, 10:33 AM
lol u think hes going overseas... :pity: they were just trying to make stern turn the cap off. SMH @ u thinking they would actually play anywhere but the NBA :laugh2:

king4day
05-08-2009, 10:37 AM
LA shouldn't be in the top 28 of teams he has a chance to go to as long as Kobe is there.
While it's possible he'd go overseas, I think Cleveland or NY is going to be his end destination

MickeyMgl
05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Is this really something people think about?

pd7631
05-08-2009, 01:45 PM
It won't happen, but I would love it if he went overseas. Then the Sixers might have a chance at winning a championship with Elton Brand here.

superkegger
05-08-2009, 01:48 PM
He won't.

/thread

IBleedPurple
05-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Never gonna happen, unless Lebron cares only about money, and not a great career. He would dominate Europe similar to the days of Wilt.

mlisica19
05-08-2009, 01:58 PM
NFL thread is WRONG, he hasnt played football in 4 years. it was a joke, a commercial or w.e

- hes not going abroad, and hes not going to the lakers. If Brooklyn doesnt guarantee a team by at most the year after lebron is a FA... then hes not going to the nets

His only two are staying or going to the Knicks. and i dont tink hes going 2 the knicks

superkegger
05-08-2009, 02:19 PM
While the money might be tempting, which I'm doubting it will be, since Euro teams are facing the same if not worse financial problems the US teams are, its likely the money won't be there. Plus, if he goes to Europe or whever, people in the states will cease to care. Very very few of us would start to follow Euro ball because of it. Most of us would just be like, well, he's a money grubbing whore, and not care and just continue to watch the NBA.

Playing abroad has very little lure for a sueprstar.

atl_braves_fan
05-08-2009, 02:25 PM
The Euro leagues have actually been harder by the economy than the NBA. They can't even afford Josh Childress's contract. There is no way Lebron will go over there in my opinion.

Jaji
05-08-2009, 03:52 PM
lol u think hes going overseas... :pity: they were just trying to make stern turn the cap off. SMH @ u thinking they would actually play anywhere but the NBA :laugh2:

I don't think you understand the point of this thread. I never said I think he's going overseas. I was trying to open up the discussion of the impact it would have on the sport if a superstar like LeBron went overseas. And it is possible.

You're obviously a typical American who thinks America is the best place ever :pity:.

philab
05-08-2009, 04:00 PM
NFL thread is WRONG, he hasnt played football in 4 years. it was a joke, a commercial or w.e

More like eight years . . .

Hellcrooner
05-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Wont Happen, economy is hitting hard in Europe too.

And about the comments of A wilt like domination in europe

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

go check childress stats...

azkarraga
05-08-2009, 04:27 PM
abroad meaning outerspace?

smith&wesson
05-08-2009, 04:45 PM
its not about money anymore, before lebron james even stepped on an nba court he had a 100 000 000$ deal with nike, you really think he is thinking money ? i dont think soo, if the man is ona team that just happends to be his home town aaaaannnd a title contender, he would have to be an idiot to leave. really and truelly he would have to be.

dtmagnet
05-08-2009, 05:11 PM
The European guys don't feel the economic hit, the owners of Olympiacos are so filthy rich that it's not even funny.