PDA

View Full Version : Rajon Rondo

ragee
05-08-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't know if there is a thread about this already. Feel free to delete this if there already is.

What the hell happened to this guy? Did he took some kind of untraceable steriods or something? This guy turned from an good pg into a complete stud overnight! I thought he wasn't gonna keep it up in the Magic series but apparently, he still can... A triple double or almost a triple double every game! Dang! Will he even be better next year? He is playing like he is better than Chris Paul! :speechless:

Draco
05-08-2009, 12:38 AM
His playmaking and rebounding impress me. I'm not impressed with his scoring ability.

Frrrrank!!!
05-08-2009, 12:48 AM
:worthy:

Nighthawk
05-08-2009, 12:57 AM
His playmaking and rebounding impress me. I'm not impressed with his scoring ability.

lol of course youd say that

Draco
05-08-2009, 12:58 AM
lol of course youd say that

Because it's an obvious observation about Rondo?

Jezeble
05-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Ronda can excel because he knows the League will let him get away with murder. He is confident, so he makes plays that other PG's are not going to risk. I guess the give you Defensive Team spots if you punch an opponent in the mouth, and fling another into the scorer's table. I expect his rise to abate the first time somebody seriously lays into him. He's a dirty player, nothing more.

Frrrrank!!!
05-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Ronda can excel because he knows the League will let him get away with murder. He is confident, so he makes plays that other PG's are not going to risk. I guess the give you Defensive Team spots if you punch an opponent in the mouth, and fling another into the scorer's table. I expect his rise to abate the first time somebody seriously lays into him. He's a dirty player, nothing more.

Tissue?

ink
05-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Anyway, rivalries aside, he has been brilliant this off season. No one racks up triple doubles like that without some serious ability.

Duncan = Donkey
05-08-2009, 01:04 AM
boston are going to give him a contract he is not worth

Nighthawk
05-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Because it's an obvious observation about Rondo?

If you said his shot needs work id agree. But other than that he is effective on the offensive end. Driving to the bucket and dunking or layin it in. Getting out in the open court scoring on fast breaks. He has scoring ability. And once he adds jumpshot to that list i can only imagine what this squad will play like.

ragee
05-08-2009, 01:16 AM
His rebounding is the one that surprises me the most... How can he grab that much rebounds?! I am really amazed... Rebounding is not something you can develop overnight... Its not like jump shots where you can just keep shooting and eventually, you will somehow get better... Much respect for this guy... I am not even a Celtic fan but I think he deserves a lot of credit for what he is doing for the Celtics...

_KB24_
05-08-2009, 01:18 AM

Then your Suns will quickly try to sign him to not look stupid for trading him. :clap:

Duncan = Donkey
05-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Then your Suns will quickly try to sign him to not look stupid for trading him. :clap:

whats wrong with you?:confused:

anyway, i think boston will overpay for what he is really worth.

_KB24_
05-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Whats wrong with me? Whats wrong with you??

Rondo is a top 5-10 point guard in the league and he'll be worth every penny. According to you, how much is he really worth?

DreamShaker
05-08-2009, 03:01 AM
whats wrong with you?:confused:

anyway, i think boston will overpay for what he is really worth.

What would you consider overpaying him?? Cause I agree he's not worth a max contract but what exact figure would be reasonable for Rondo?

GoatMilk
05-08-2009, 03:01 AM
i just really really really hope he learns to shoot

i mean seriously. the dude has Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Eddie House on his team and still cant shoot for for his life

he's a great player though i'm not here to hate. his rebounding is impressive, his passing is nice as well. he does disappear late in games sometimes, but he's still really young

just please rondo, learn to shoot a damn jump shot

GoatMilk
05-08-2009, 03:02 AM
What would you consider overpaying him?? Cause I agree he's not worth a max contract but what exact figure would be reasonable for Rondo?

if andris biedrins could get 60
if bogut could get 72
if Bynum could get 58 or whatever he got

Rondo needs at least like 65 right?

reasonably, 45 sounds fair, but they will overpay

GspLAL
05-08-2009, 03:09 AM
Certainly proved me wrong, he's turning into a star.

Kevj77
05-08-2009, 03:23 AM
Rondo is very very good, but he is not CP3. He is on a good team that he fit in with. Rondo is a playmaker and very physical. A perfect fit for the Celtics

sp1derm00
05-08-2009, 03:32 AM
Rondo is Lebron Lite.

Not a knock on Rondo by any means... I'm just saying he's the Lebron of PG's.

He can't shoot but is really effective when he drives and gets anywhere near the rim. Great finisher. He boards better than any other player at his position (not named Kidd) and will give you anywhere from 5-14 rebounds a game.

ElMarroAfamado
05-08-2009, 03:56 AM
stud? hardly.
he is still a mediocre pg
wait till the "big 3" disband to see what i am talking about.
if it werent for his layups he would be a sub par PG
until he starts making Js i am not going to give him any credit
its a disgrace to have a pg in the league like this that cant make a damn shot

even Brevin knight makes shots

and its funny when he makes 1 shot...and then he shoots against liek IF HE CAN
hahhaaha

he misses horribly its really funny...
WIIDE OPEN SHOTS look at the next game to see what im talking about

ElMarroAfamado
05-08-2009, 03:58 AM
Rondo is Lebron Lite.

Not a knock on Rondo by any means... I'm just saying he's the Lebron of PG's.

He can't shoot but is really effective when he drives and gets anywhere near the rim. Great finisher. He boards better than any other player at his position (not named Kidd) and will give you anywhere from 5-14 rebounds a game.

i agree

i mean really the other day i was watching the game and i saw
rondo

4-15 or something like that FGs
cmon now....

gcoll
05-08-2009, 04:35 AM
He's a point guard with absolutely no jump shot, that shoots 63% from the line. He gets good assist numbers, but he's not a playmaker.

Overrated.

I would imagine that he "mops up" quite a bit being the third option. Teams are basically scared of Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. Focus most of their attention on them, which allows Rondo to play more free. Get a lot more easy baskets than he should. Whereas if you play the Hornets....you focus all of your attention on Paul. If you play the Suns, Steve Nash is the key. If you play the Jazz...you gotta watch Williams.

TheDiggler
05-08-2009, 05:27 AM
He's a point guard with absolutely no jump shot, that shoots 63% from the line. He gets good assist numbers, but he's not a playmaker.

Overrated.

I would imagine that he "mops up" quite a bit being the third option. Teams are basically scared of Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. Focus most of their attention on them, which allows Rondo to play more free. Get a lot more easy baskets than he should. Whereas if you play the Hornets....you focus all of your attention on Paul. If you play the Suns, Steve Nash is the key. If you play the Jazz...you gotta watch Williams.

I agree with you here. But I won't call him overrated ... at least, not yet.

Duncan = Donkey
05-08-2009, 05:33 AM
Whats wrong with me? Whats wrong with you??

Rondo is a top 5-10 point guard in the league and he'll be worth every penny. According to you, how much is he really worth?

around 6/7 mill per year. I think the Celtics will give him around 10. And becasue his stats look nice maybe even more.
When the Big 3 leave, Rondo will have Defenses focuse more on him, then we will see what type of player he really is.

codes238
05-08-2009, 07:21 AM
yea you guys are right rondo is so overrated and just living off the big 3! i mean, just look what happened when garnett got injured this year, he's playing so much worse than before and definitely hasnt turned into one of the best young guards in the game... and in game 2 when pierce basically didnt play at all, he definitely didnt completely take over the game and destroy orlando with a triple double... yea you guys are right all the evidence so far definitely shows that as soon as the big 3 are gone, rondo might as well retire too cause he'll be completely useless! i mean its not like he's only 22 or anything... and he's definitely not improving by the game since he first came into the league... rondo sucks!

Duncan = Donkey
05-08-2009, 07:26 AM
yea you guys are right rondo is so overrated and just living off the big 3! i mean, just look what happened when garnett got injured this year, he's playing so much worse than before and definitely hasnt turned into one of the best young guards in the game... and in game 2 when pierce basically didnt play at all, he definitely didnt completely take over the game and destroy orlando with a triple double... yea you guys are right all the evidence so far definitely shows that as soon as the big 3 are gone, rondo might as well retire too cause he'll be completely useless! i mean its not like he's only 22 or anything... and he's definitely not improving by the game since he first came into the league... rondo sucks!

this guy knows his stuff. rondo is over rated

Kannon81
05-08-2009, 07:33 AM
He is playing like this because there is no KG to hog the ball. When KG is in the line up there is no way Rondumb explodes to through the lane like this anymore.

dee279
05-08-2009, 07:34 AM
he reminds me of big O actually. He averaged a triple double fo whole season

$KnicksAndKobe$
05-08-2009, 07:36 AM
He reminds me of Andre Miller (younger) and even Oscar Robinson.

Duncan = Donkey
05-08-2009, 07:37 AM
The Big O ***** on rondo

Duncan = Donkey
05-08-2009, 07:38 AM
He is playing like this because there is no KG to hog the ball. When KG is in the line up there is no way Rondumb explodes to through the lane like this anymore.

his numbers may look better without KG, but there a much worse team

BTownTeamsRKing
05-08-2009, 08:47 AM
I dont care what his perseption around the league is. Im just glad hes running my team for a long time.

His basketball IQ is what has made him excel so quickly. His ability to learn is unbelievable. Next year, he is for sure East All Star Game, possibly starter.

1 more triple double this post seasona and he ties Magic for most in 1 playoffs! thats wild

Reversed86Curse
05-08-2009, 08:59 AM

So you're saying that the league letting him get away with 'murder' is why he is good? That must be why Lebron and Kobe are good too..

Absolutely stupid statement

dandman1021
05-08-2009, 09:10 AM
I don't know if there is a thread about this already. Feel free to delete this if there already is.

What the hell happened to this guy? Did he took some kind of untraceable steriods or something? This guy turned from an good pg into a complete stud overnight! I thought he wasn't gonna keep it up in the Magic series but apparently, he still can... A triple double or almost a triple double every game! Dang! Will he even be better next year? He is playing like he is better than Chris Paul! :speechless:

he is playing good but not that good.....he is number 4 in my top 5

tromo9
05-08-2009, 09:22 AM
how can you seriously say hes overrated.. the guy is already better than wat anybody thought he would be....he has had a nice improvement since last year...and one more triple double he ties magic johnsons record....if he sucks/overrated how is it even in the realm of reality he could accomplish this feat

BTownTeamsRKing
05-08-2009, 09:25 AM
he is playing good but not that good.....he is number 4 in my top 5

Honestly, I think he is the best PG in the East.

Thats not saying that much bc I still think CP3, D-Will, and Billupts are still better, but in the East, Rondo is the best PG.

No other PG in the East has his play making ability and controls his team better than Rondo.

Id say it goes:

East PGs

1. Rondo
2. Harris
3. Rose
4. Nelson
5. Arenas
6. Williams
7. Ford
8. Miller
9. Bibby

just my opinion...I just cant believe 1 more triple double and Rondo will tie of all players; the Legendary Magic Johnson. That is just absolutely wild. I personally think Rondo will own that record by the time this post season is over.

dandman1021
05-08-2009, 09:32 AM

Thats not saying that much bc I still think CP3, D-Will, and Billupts are still better, but in the East, Rondo is the best PG.

No other PG in the East has his play making ability and controls his team better than Rondo.

Id say it goes:

East PGs

1. Rondo
2. Harris
3. Rose
4. Nelson
5. Arenas
6. Williams
7. Ford
8. Miller
9. Bibby

just my opinion...I just cant believe 1 more triple double and Rondo will tie of all players; the Legendary Magic Johnson. That is just absolutely wild. I personally think Rondo will own that record by the time this post season is over.

pretty much mine...but in about three years i think rose will overtake the number one spot....its gonna be fun to see the boston and chicago games in the next few years

BTownTeamsRKing
05-08-2009, 09:37 AM
pretty much mine...but in about three years i think rose will overtake the number one spot....its gonna be fun to see the boston and chicago games in the next few years

Possibly. Rose's potential has no bounds at this point. This year he was mainly a scorer, we will see how he gets teammates more involved as he matures.

The reason why I am so amped about Rondo is his assist numbers. 18 Assists last game. While scoring 15 of his own. plus his rebounding is in the top of playoff rebounders this year.

The Celtics go as Rondo goes.

dandman1021
05-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Possibly. Rose's potential has no bounds at this point. This year he was mainly a scorer, we will see how he gets teammates more involved as he matures.

The reason why I am so amped about Rondo is his assist numbers. 18 Assists last game. While scoring 15 of his own. plus his rebounding is in the top of playoff rebounders this year.

The Celtics go as Rondo goes.

yeah i feel ya

JaySmoke
05-08-2009, 10:37 AM
harris should not be top 10 on any list.. the guy is a turnover machine and cant run a team.. id put mo before him even though they are both scoring guards not true PG

BTownTeamsRKing
05-08-2009, 11:19 AM
harris should not be top 10 on any list.. the guy is a turnover machine and cant run a team.. id put mo before him even though they are both scoring guards not true PG

really? had no clue.

I think theres no question he can score, but I figured he was fine at running a team.

op12
05-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Id say it goes:

East PGs

1. Rondo
2. Harris
3. Rose
4. Nelson
5. Arenas
6. Williams
7. Ford
8. Miller
9. Bibby

agreed. i think it is funny how everyone says he is overrated and in a thread earlier this year everybody said he wasnt even a top 5 pg in the east. what a joke. he has actually developed a decent jumper and has even been knocking down some 3s. he is not overrated just making a name for himmself quickly and people dont like it because hes a celtic.

Gibby23
05-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Alot Rondo hate. The dud is balling. He has no KG so he isn't playing with the big 3 right now, he is playing with Big Baby and Perk as his bigs, Pierce has been kinda off. Rondo has been the 1st option quite a few times in these playoffs and is getting triple dubs like crazey. I would say he is a top 3 PG and when he improves his shot he could be #1 pg in the NBA. I think he will improve his jumpshot, it is better this year than it was last year.

da wood
05-08-2009, 11:42 AM
i don't know we get a healty gilbert back next year and thats your best point gaurd in the east. and yes harris is a better point gaurd than rondo. harris just scores because thats whats needed of him. rondo might be the best point gaurd in the east for boston but don't just say that hes the best point gaurd. i do how ever think he would be so perfect to run a d anthoni run team.

NJrockPD
05-08-2009, 11:54 AM
He's the scum of the earth.

hammerinhank
05-08-2009, 12:08 PM
As a Celtics fan I agree Rondo is a dirty player and def not the top PG in the East. I cant stand his dirty cheap plays and wish he wasnt on the Celts.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-08-2009, 12:10 PM
If the Celtics win the NBA Finals this year, Rondo has to be a top 5 PG. The Celtics are counting on him. Right now, he is the one driving the Celtics.

BRADY4MVP
05-08-2009, 12:14 PM
hahaha love the celtics hate...jealousy will do that to ya i guess...

rondo is playing out of his mind right now, certainly proving that he is top 5-10 in the NBA...as he keeps working on the shot, he will only go up

atl_braves_fan
05-08-2009, 12:30 PM
If the Celtics win the NBA Finals this year, Rondo has to be a top 5 PG. The Celtics are counting on him. Right now, he is the one driving the Celtics.

There is absolutely no chance of that happening.

Rondo is not a top 5 point guard in the league. His stats are basically the same as Jose Calderon, Chris Duhon, and TJ Ford. These guys are decent players, but nothing too special. For these people to say that his stats are not aided by playing with the team with which he plays is ridiculous.

In no particular order:

Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Chauncey Billups
Tony Parker
Steve Nash
Jameer Nelson
Derrick Rose

Are all better than Rondo without question. He is in the 10-15 range, but he is no star.

ink
05-08-2009, 12:36 PM

There is absolutely no chance of that happening.

Rondo is not a top 5 point guard in the league. His stats are basically the same as Jose Calderon, Chris Duhon, and TJ Ford. These guys are decent players, but nothing too special. For these people to say that his stats are not aided by playing with the team with which he plays is ridiculous.

In no particular order:

Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Chauncey Billups
Tony Parker
Steve Nash
Jameer Nelson
Derrick Rose

Are all better than Rondo without question. He is in the 10-15 range, but he is no star.

Do you guys really need to take such extreme positions?? lol. Rondo isn't top 5 but he's definitely approaching it. to say he is no star is just as incorrect as saying he is top 5.

Credit where credit is due. You don't have to deny someone credit just because you think other fans are too excited about a player and you want to shoot down their balloon.

Bullsfan22
05-08-2009, 12:48 PM
He's putting up good stats but until pierce and allen is off the team no team will game plan to stop rondo. during the bulls series doc rivers did the wrong thing in telling rondo to be this aggressive because it's basically getting pierce out his rhythm and your not running your O threw your best player. The only reason why the bulls forced that series to 7 was because they play pierce and somewhat played ray ray well. I think doc rivers is the blame by telling rondo to be overly aggessive because that turned the celtics into a run and gun team and their defense was only a shell of what it even was during the season without kg. They totally changed up what they do and thats why that series went to seven games. Rondo put up good stats, but i wouldn't go crazy on it because of the way that he did it. ray allen got hot coming off screens and he did what he was suppose to and thats get the ball to him. The majority of his assist was him getting the ball to open shooters not actually setting them up. big baby wide open jump shots and ray ray coming off screens. His rebounding numbers are pretty padded to on numerous occasions he came running from the three point line after a free throw miss to wrestle the ball from big baby and scalabrine if kg was in their that crap wouldn't happen. you can call this hating but im honestly over that series and at this poinnt im telling the truth. I think people is judging him off one series against a bad team. I'll give him his props in due time when he does it throughout the season and the playoffs the fact of the matter is the celtics didn't win 50 some odd games throughout the season with rondo playing like the way he is. Call me hater but im not sold and everything i said is the truth I call him overrated when i see a celtic fan say "as rondo goes the celtics go" while thats true throughout that one series against the bulls but imo thats also why it went seven games because that how the bulls play all the time. The celtics won 50 plus games because they ran efficient offense going through pierce and getting back on defense to get their D set up..not with rondo pushing the bull making it helter skelter playing right into the bulls hands. just my honest opinion i don't call rondo overrated because of his skills i call him overrated because of the way their fans is portraying him like he is the baby jesus of the team.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-08-2009, 01:04 PM
the thing i dont get is ppl wont give him credit until he doesnt have anyone on his team. ummm NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. There is no great PG without other good players on a team.

ok so Nash had Stoudemire and Marion, does that mean hes overrated?
before that he had Dirk and Finly.
Kidd had Jefferson and K-mart in his prime.
CP3 has David West, Peja, Chandler,
Dwill has Boozer, Okur

i dont know what kind of team your ever expecting Rondo to run.

cwilson21
05-08-2009, 01:07 PM
He's putting up good stats but until pierce and allen is off the team no team will game plan to stop rondo. during the bulls series doc rivers did the wrong thing in telling rondo to be this aggressive because it's basically getting pierce out his rhythm and your not running your O threw your best player. The only reason why the bulls forced that series to 7 was because they play pierce and somewhat played ray ray well. I think doc rivers is the blame by telling rondo to be overly aggessive because that turned the celtics into a run and gun team and their defense was only a shell of what it even was during the season without kg. They totally changed up what they do and thats why that series went to seven games. Rondo put up good stats, but i wouldn't go crazy on it because of the way that he did it. ray allen got hot coming off screens and he did what he was suppose to and thats get the ball to him. The majority of his assist was him getting the ball to open shooters not actually setting them up. big baby wide open jump shots and ray ray coming off screens. His rebounding numbers are pretty padded to on numerous occasions he came running from the three point line after a free throw miss to wrestle the ball from big baby and scalabrine if kg was in their that crap wouldn't happen. you can call this hating but im honestly over that series and at this poinnt im telling the truth. I think people is judging him off one series against a bad team. I'll give him his props in due time when he does it throughout the season and the playoffs the fact of the matter is the celtics didn't win 50 some odd games throughout the season with rondo playing like the way he is. Call me hater but im not sold and everything i said is the truth I call him overrated when i see a celtic fan say "as rondo goes the celtics go" while thats true throughout that one series against the bulls but imo thats also why it went seven games because that how the bulls play all the time. The celtics won 50 plus games because they ran efficient offense going through pierce and getting back on defense to get their D set up..not with rondo pushing the bull making it helter skelter playing right into the bulls hands. just my honest opinion i don't call rondo overrated because of his skills i call him overrated because of the way their fans is portraying him like he is the baby jesus of the team.

Agree with this part. Watching him rack up assists wasn't too hard for him considering more then half of them were open shots from players. IMO, assists are starting to get really overrated.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-08-2009, 01:08 PM

i dont know what more proof u could possibly need than games 1 and 2 vs. Orlando.

Rondo sucked in the first half of game 1, Celtics were losing by 25. Rondo brough the pressure in the second half and the Celtics came within an unlucky rim out by Ray Allen of completing the comeback.

Rondo pushed the tempo, pressured the magic PGs, and made quick smart decisions and the Celtics dominated game 2.

we go as Rondo goes at this point. we need Pierce and Ray Allen to play well obviously, but Ray needs Rondo to set him up. Pierce not so much, but it helps when Rondo is running the break and Pierce comes from behind for easy lay ups.

He is the key to the Celtics.

cwilson21
05-08-2009, 01:09 PM
the thing i dont get is ppl wont give him credit until he doesnt have anyone on his team. ummm NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. There is no great PG without other good players on a team.

Dwill has Boozer, Okur

Derrick Rose plays doesn't play with great talent but he's already shown that he's the most exciting up and coming player in the NBA.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Derrick Rose plays doesn't play with great talent but he's already shown that he's the most exciting up and coming player in the NBA.

BG played out of his freaken mind. He played like a star. He made big shot after big shot.

Bullsfan22
05-08-2009, 01:39 PM
i dont know what more proof u could possibly need than games 1 and 2 vs. Orlando.

Rondo sucked in the first half of game 1, Celtics were losing by 25. Rondo brough the pressure in the second half and the Celtics came within an unlucky rim out by Ray Allen of completing the comeback.

Rondo pushed the tempo, pressured the magic PGs, and made quick smart decisions and the Celtics dominated game 2.

we go as Rondo goes at this point. we need Pierce and Ray Allen to play well obviously, but Ray needs Rondo to set him up. Pierce not so much, but it helps when Rondo is running the break and Pierce comes from behind for easy lay ups.

He is the key to the Celtics.

stop being blind to what i wrote..you should look at what i wrote again i didn't deny the fact that he is leading the celtics. to the bolded part i just don't think thats good enough. if the truth got his regular rhythm shots and you guys ran your half court sets it just makes your team so much better all around, rondo's numbers will drop but i think it gets your best player in a scorers rhythm and he would be able to knock down more shots. What people don't get is players of pierce, kobe and lebron caliber is sometimes the easiest play is the hardest play for them, sometimes they need to take those contested shots to get them going ( i know it sounds stupid) but it's the truth. I couldn't believe how much wide open shot paul missed but when i thought about it thats what happens to those type of player, they can't thrive in the type of offense with rondo constantly pushing the ball and dominating the ball. It worked wonders for ray ray because of his ability to catch and shoot thats his game. Thats why i laughed at kobe when he said in that video we could have gotten jason kidd...yeah kobe would have got his but with jason kidd it wouldn't have worked out right for kidd his numbers would have been way down. another example is AI and melo whoever thought that would work is nuts! yeah iverson got his 30 and 10 10-15 games throughout the season but when he had those games it turned carmelo into a shell of himself because he's not a catch and shoot player thats not how he becomes a productive player. Im not a rondo hater im just in favor of running your offense through the best player and in my opinion if you guys would have played the game through your best player it would have trickled down to you defense and every other facet of your teams game.

Kenny
05-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Hes playing a ton more minutes per then in the regular season..He isnt shooting the ball well

Bullsfan22
05-08-2009, 01:55 PM
BG played out of his freaken mind. He played like a star. He made big shot after big shot.

don't push it man he made great shots but he's no star and didn't play like a star. he shot is into games and he shot us out of games it was clear after rose's game 1 that doc would game plan to slow down the best player on our team and thats exactly what he did. its a reason why big perk didn't come out and say "bg will never have a game like that again" because they really didn't care if he did or didn't. for every amazing shot gordon hit he literally took two bad ones to make up for it, you guys didn't notice it because obviously the great shots he made hurt you guys the most.

atl_braves_fan
05-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Do you guys really need to take such extreme positions?? lol. Rondo isn't top 5 but he's definitely approaching it. to say he is no star is just as incorrect as saying he is top 5.

Credit where credit is due. You don't have to deny someone credit just because you think other fans are too excited about a player and you want to shoot down their balloon.

I don't think I said anything extreme about Rondo (admittedly, the position I take on the Celtics that they have no chance of winning a championship may be extreme, but that has nothing to do with my assessment of Rondo).

In my prior post, I said that he was a decent player in the top half of the league's point guards (i.e. giving the due amount of credit to the guy). I just said that he is no star. Whoever says that he is in the top 5 are the ones that are being extreme.

He averaged 12 points and 8 assists a game. Basically every good team has a complementary player that puts up comparable numbers to that. If he is a star or approaching top 5 at his position, so are the guys that I mentioned (Jose Calderon, TJ Ford, Chris Duhon). Maybe you think they are, and my standard is too high, but I don't think so.

atl_braves_fan
05-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Dwill has Boozer, Okur

Paul, Williams, Kidd (in his prime), and Nash (in the years you mentioned) all have remarkably better numbers than Rondo. The point is that you seem to be saying that Rondo is comparable to the players that you mentioned. I will put this as plainly as possible ... that is absurd.

Bullsfan22
05-08-2009, 02:07 PM
I don't think I said anything extreme about Rondo (admittedly, the position I take on the Celtics that they have no chance of winning a championship may be extreme, but that has nothing to do with my assessment of Rondo).

In my prior post, I said that he was a decent player in the top half of the league's point guards (i.e. giving the due amount of credit where to the guy). I just said that he is no star. Whoever says that he is in the top 5 are the ones that are being extreme.

He averaged 12 points and 8 assists a game. Basically every good team has a complementary player that puts up comparable numbers to that. If he is a star or approaching top 5 at his position, so are the guys that I mentioned (Jose Calderon, TJ Ford, Chris Duhon). Maybe you think they are, and my standard is too high, but I don't think so.

I agree the thing is most people react of here and now and thats wrong. If rondo completely tanks it and sucks the rest of this series It wouldn't change my mind or how good i think his skill set is.

ink
05-08-2009, 02:17 PM

In my prior post, I said that he was a decent player in the top half of the league's point guards (i.e. giving the due amount of credit where to the guy). I just said that he is no star. Whoever says that he is in the top 5 are the ones that are being extreme.

I don't think your standard is too high. I don't think it's a standard at all. He's clearly proven he's above Calderon and Duhon, and Ford isn't even on the map, so comparing him to them is being pretty extreme. It's as unreasonable as the other guy saying that he's Top 5. If Rondo can pull off triple double after triple double in the playoffs, regardless of the talent around him, he deserves props. I don't see how he can at one time be threatening the triple double record of arguably the best PG of all time -- Magic -- and still only be "one of the Top 15 guards" in the league. It doesn't make any sense at all. There's no standard being exercised in there, there's just an unwillingness to give credit to a player who is having a breakout playoffs.

ink
05-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Paul, Williams, Kidd (in his prime), and Nash (in the years you mentioned) all have remarkably better numbers than Rondo. The point is that you seem to be saying that Rondo is comparable to the players that you mentioned. I will put this as plainly as possible ... that is absurd.

I'd say he's easily top 10 and climbing.

Bullsfan22
05-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I don't think your standard is too high. I don't think it's a standard at all. He's clearly proven he's above Calderon and Duhon, and Ford isn't even on the map, so comparing him to them is being pretty extreme. It's as unreasonable as the other guy saying that he's Top 5. If Rondo can pull off triple double after triple double in the playoffs, regardless of the talent around him, he deserves props. I don't see how he can at one time be threatening the triple double record of arguably the best PG of all time -- Magic -- and still only be "one of the Top 15 guards" in the league. It doesn't make any sense at all. There's no standard being exercised in there, there's just an unwillingness to give credit to a player who is having a breakout playoffs.

ok so i see you rank players by the "what have you done for me lately" creed instead of his body of work. I think he's saying he respect rondo's skill set but when it comes to raking a player he's not going to up him as elite because of a stretch of triple doubles. by your logic if he comes back and comes close to setting the record for most turnovers in a series you'll put him in the bottom half of all point guards in the league. If your saying he is unwilling to give props he can easily come to the conclusion from your last three posts that your oblivious to a players body of work when it comes to ranking players.

ink
05-08-2009, 02:29 PM
ok so i see you rank players by the "what have you done for me lately" creed instead of his body of work. I think he's saying he respect rondo's skill set but when it comes to raking a player he's not going to up him as elite because of a stretch of triple doubles. by your logic if he comes back and comes close to setting the record for most turnovers in a series you'll put him in the bottom half of all point guards in the league.

Lot of incorrect assumptions in your post. You have no idea how I'm thinking and you're putting words in my mouth to serve your purpose. Read what I wrote, not what you want to twist my words into.

KINGofKINGS28
05-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Rondo is nasty... Celts r my home team so i get to watch them a lot. And he seems to get better each month... He gets a lot of rebounds. Yao ming only avg 0.9 rebounds more a game then rondo during the playoffs.. He leads the playoffs in assists per game w/ 11.9 and he avg 18.3

will be the finals mvp when celts win it this year

Bullsfan22
05-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Lot of incorrect assumptions in your post. You have no idea how I'm thinking and you're putting words in my mouth to serve your purpose. Read what I wrote, not what you want to twist my words into.

Im not trying to argue with you or put words/twist your words up, i responded to a certain spot in your post. maybe i should have put question marks after my statements to make it seem like im not assuming things if your not going to correct im going to go by your logic..

ink
05-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Im not trying to argue with you or put words/twist your words up, i responded to a certain spot in your post. maybe i should have put question marks after my statements to make it seem like im not assuming things if your not going to correct im going to go by your logic..

I don't share your logic, so I won't be responding to that part of your posts. I've said what I think of Rondo. It was clear and I stand by it. His achievements in these playoffs can't be ignored. Simple. It's obvious that he is young and breaking through. He's been playing at a pretty high level for most of this season, and he showed flashes last season too. He was very under-rated, and now there's a lot of residual anger at him because of the suspension controversy. Credit where credit is due.

Bullsfan22
05-08-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't share your logic, so I won't be responding to that part of your posts. I've said what I think of Rondo. It was clear and I stand by it. His achievements in these playoffs can't be ignored. Simple. It's obvious that he is young and breaking through. He's been playing at a pretty high level for most of this season, and he showed flashes last season too. He was very under-rated, and now there's a lot of residual anger at him because of the suspension controversy. Credit where credit is due.

ok.

atl_braves_fan
05-08-2009, 02:45 PM

I agree, Rondo has had a breakout playoffs so far and I give him credit for that - that is what takes him from "just another guy" to "he is in the top half of NBA point guards." However, it is ignorant to use a sample size of only 9 games to say that he is one of the top 10 PGs in the NBA.

If you were to objectively rank the following guys, there is no way that Rondo doesn't end up in the bottom third (i.e. 10-15 at his position in the league - which is giving a guy due credit and is what I have said all along):

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Tony Parker
Chauncey Billups
Barron Davis
Gilbert Arenas
Andre Miller
Jason Terry
Devin Harris
Steve Nash
Jameer Nelson
Mo Williams
Jason Kidd
Rajon Rondo
Derrick Rose

atl_braves_fan
05-08-2009, 02:47 PM
ok so i see you rank players by the "what have you done for me lately" creed instead of his body of work. I think he's saying he respect rondo's skill set but when it comes to raking a player he's not going to up him as elite because of a stretch of triple doubles. by your logic if he comes back and comes close to setting the record for most turnovers in a series you'll put him in the bottom half of all point guards in the league. If your saying he is unwilling to give props he can easily come to the conclusion from your last three posts that your oblivious to a players body of work when it comes to ranking players.

Thank you.

azkarraga
05-08-2009, 02:48 PM
yeah, rondo is lebron lite. only he needs to play 2 or 3 OT to make a triple double... sure

atl_braves_fan
05-08-2009, 02:50 PM

I agree, credit where credit is due. The due amount of credit here is that at this point, Rondo is a solid contributor on a good team and he is having a good playoff run. He is not a top 5 or even a top 10 point guard at this point in my opinion. If you are not top 10 at your position, you are not a star in my opinion. I am not ignoring any achievements in the playoffs.

azkarraga
05-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Common, the kid aint that good. those figures are misleading, he's playing a lot of minutes.

ink
05-08-2009, 02:54 PM
I agree, credit where credit is due. The due amount of credit here is that at this point, Rondo is a solid contributor on a good team and he is having a good playoff run. He is not a top 5 or even a top 10 point guard at this point in my opinion. If you are not top 10 at your position, you are not a star in my opinion. I am not ignoring any achievements in the playoffs.

I'm glad you acknowledge clearly that it's your opinion. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

ink
05-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Common, the kid aint that good. those figures are misleading, he's playing a lot of minutes.

So we should ignore the performances of players who play a lot of minutes?? :confused:

atl_braves_fan
05-08-2009, 03:01 PM
So we should ignore the performances of players who play a lot of minutes?? :confused:

What he is saying is that the per game numbers are skewed because of the 7 overtimes played so far in the playoffs. That is like adding a game's worth of stats to the numerator of the fraction while keeping the denominator of the fraction the same. To illustrate, add 35 minutes of similar performance to Lebron's stats and he has a line of approximately 38ppg/9apg/9rpg instead of 31ppg/8apg/8rpg.

Bullsfan22
05-08-2009, 03:03 PM
yeah, rondo is lebron lite. only he needs to play 2 or 3 OT to make a triple double... sure

yeah thats such a bad comparison when you really sit down and really look at their game it's not even worth responding too..lmao glad someone else noticed it. It's sad that people can make it look like someone is a hater and don't to give credit to a player just cause you tell the truth. i actually like rondo's game thats the sad part i loved the way the celtics played last year my oh my i didn't know in a year a team and fans mindset can change soo much. last year at this time it was threads talking about defense and team ball umbuntu now people is starting threads capaigning for there point guard to be top 5 in the league.

atl_braves_fan
05-08-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm glad you acknowledge clearly that it's your opinion. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

We can agree to disagree ... especially since it is hard to argue against someone who just makes conclusory statements and doesn't support his argument with any facts.

.CB.22
05-08-2009, 03:07 PM
yeah thats such a bad comparison when you really sit down and really look at their game it's not even worth responding too..lmao glad someone else noticed it. It's sad that people can make it look like someone is a hater and don't to give credit to a player just cause you tell the truth. i actually like rondo's game thats the sad part i loved the way the celtics played last year my oh my i didn't know in a year a team and fans mindset can change soo much. last year at this time it was threads talking about defense and team ball umbuntu now people is starting threads capaigning for there point guard to be top 5 in the league.

so true dude so true, but that is what this nba thread is about it's a group of fans wanting to give their players as much shine as possible. we all drink our kool-aid a little too much.

azkarraga
05-08-2009, 03:07 PM
What he is saying is that the per game numbers are skewed because of the 7 overtimes played so far in the playoffs. That is like adding a game's worth of stats to the numerator of the fraction while keeping the denominator of the fraction the same. To illustrate, add 35 minutes of similar performance to Lebron's stats and he has a line of approximately 38ppg/9apg/9rpg instead of 31ppg/8apg/8rpg.

Thanks, thats what i mean.

Give those minutes to cp3 or toni parker or dw, just imagine...

Bullsfan22
05-08-2009, 03:11 PM
so true dude so true, but that is what this nba thread is about it's a group of fans wanting to give their players as much shine as possible. we all drink our kool-aid a little too much.

You are saying stand clear of threads titled "player"? lmao gotcha will do.

ink
05-08-2009, 03:14 PM

I'm aware of the OT games.

How does that explain these lines?

Apr 20 @ CHI -- 40:03 ... 19, 16, 12
Apr 23 @ CHI -- 33:54 ... 20, 11, 11
May 4 @ ORL -- 39:17 ... 14, 8, 10
May 6 @ ORL -- 39:20 ... 15, 18, 11

Those minutes are either at his season average or only a bit above. They were all played in regulation. Sure the numbers are inflated because of OT but he's still playing at a level that others aren't.

Why aren't all the PGs in the post-season performing at that level? Why aren't all the PGs playing OT minutes in his series hitting the same numbers? Why is his coach going to him so consistently? Because he's good.

Look, I'm not even a Rondo fan. I'm just encouraging people to be fair.

If you feel you're being fair as you've said, great. It's your opinion.

ink
05-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks, thats what i mean.

Give those minutes to cp3 or toni parker or dw, just imagine...

Of course, but each of them are Top 5 players. Of course they'd rack up the points with heavy minutes. It's the next tier of guards, from 5-10, that Rondo belongs in. The fact that he's moving toward the Top 5 deserves credit.

atl_braves_fan
05-08-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm aware of the OT games.

How does that explain these lines?

Apr 23 @ CHI -- 33:54 ... 20, 11, 11
May 4 @ ORL -- 39:17 ... 14, 8, 10
May 6 @ ORL -- 39:20 ... 15, 18, 11

Those minutes are either at his season average or only a bit above. Sure the numbers are inflated because of OT but he's still playing at a level that others aren't.

Why aren't all the PGs in the post-season performing at that level? Why aren't all the PGs playing OT minutes in his series hitting the same numbers? Why is his coach going to him so consistently? Because he's good.

Look, I'm not even a Rondo fan. I'm just encouraging people to be fair.

If you feel you're being fair as you've said, great. It's your opinion.

It's also only three games. I can explain it to you the same way that I can explain the wild card winner winning the Super Bowl or World Series even though they are clearly not the best team - it is a small sample size. The only other PG playing overtime minutes was Derrick Rose who did have similar numbers (except for assists which are entirely dependent upon the players you pass to hitting shots).

azkarraga
05-08-2009, 03:27 PM
know what i like of him? he's got in front of him the chance of his lifetime, and he's fighting for it. he might be a star if he keeps it that way.

atl_braves_fan
05-08-2009, 03:29 PM
know what i like of him? he's got in front of him the chance of his lifetime, and he's fighting for it. he might be a star if he keeps it that way.

I agree with that. I don't dislike Rondo, I just don't think that he is as good as people are already giving him credit for. That doesn't mean that I don't think that he can be, I just don't think he is there yet.

ink
05-08-2009, 03:30 PM
It's also only three games. I can explain it to you the same way that I can explain the wild card winner winning the Super Bowl or World Series even though they are clearly not the best team - it is a small sample size. The only other PG playing overtime minutes was Derrick Rose who did have similar numbers (except for assists which are entirely dependent upon the players you pass to hitting shots).

You're not telling me anything new. I realize it's a small sample size. btw, I added a 4th regulation time game with a triple double. It's pretty remarkable. Plus, you can't discount the triple doubles in OT. It's not automatic that extra minutes are going to raise his totals so consistently. He is playing at a very high level. A player cannot do that unless they are near elite or elite already.

He has been a Top 10 PG all season just as Derrick Rose has. That is a more fitting comparison.

MegaFauna
05-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Rondo has been a great player this playoffs. I think its crazy for some of my fellow Bulls fans to whine about him being a dirty player, when less than a year ago we loved the "toughness" Nocioni brought every night. It's not Rondo's fault he gets away with what he does, that's on the NBA. If Rondo keeps this up he is one of the elite PG's.

atl_braves_fan
05-08-2009, 03:35 PM
You're not telling me anything new. I realize it's a small sample size. He has been a Top 10 PG all season just as Derrick Rose has. That is a more fitting comparison.

Can you give me anything to back up that claim? What I see is a guy that is the 4th option on his team on a good night that has put up solid but nowhere near overwhelming numbers. If you are going to go back to the "over the course of the season" claim, he was much closer to guys in the middle of the pack like Calderon, Ford, and Duhon than he was to guys at the top of the heap like Deron Williams, Paul, Nash, or Billups. Good luck finding anything other than the last 9 games to support your argument, because there just isn't anything out there.

ink
05-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Can you give me anything to back up that claim? What I see is a guy that is the 4th option on his team on a good night that has put up solid but nowhere near overwhelming numbers. If you are going to go back to the "over the course of the season" claim, he was much closer to guys in the middle of the pack like Calderon, Ford, and Duhon than he was to guys at the top of the heap like Deron Williams, Paul, Nash, or Billups. Good luck finding anything other than the last 9 games to support your argument, because there just isn't anything out there.

My point in this thread is to get people to stop being such homers or haters. I'm not saying you are, but that's where the thread was headed. I'm not as dependent on stats as you are. I don't think they tell the whole story -- even though I realize that's sacrilegious to a baseball fan :) -- as witnessed by the examples you just gave of wild card teams who become champions. Ultimately stats really are still for losers (as the saying goes). Because those teams won the championships, they will always be remembered as THE BEST. Sport is as much about heart and drive and performance when it counts as it is about stats and rankings.

The dismissal of Rondo as a player goes way back in here, as do many of the tendencies to hate on individual players who are "the enemy". I'm glad that this thread, even for a moment, could stay out of the homer and hate norm we too often see in here.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-08-2009, 03:43 PM
I just wonder what people will say when he passes Magic's record for triple doubles in the playoffs in his 3rd year as a Pro. Or is that record meaningless?

ink
05-08-2009, 03:44 PM
I just wonder what people will say when he passes Magic's record for triple doubles in the playoffs in his 3rd year as a Pro. Or is that record meaningless?

Apparently. :shrug:

I'm a huge Magic fan, but even though Rondo accomplished the feat while playing heavy OT minutes, it's still a worthy achievement. I bet Magic himself would be more generous about Rondo's performance than many of the posters in here. And it's his record that could be broken.

atl_braves_fan
05-08-2009, 03:54 PM
My point in this thread is to get people to stop being such homers or haters. I'm not saying you are, but that's where the thread was headed. I'm not as dependent on stats as you are. I don't think they tell the whole story -- even though I realize that's sacrilegious to a baseball fan :) -- as witnessed by the examples you just gave of wild card teams who become champions. Ultimately stats really are still for losers (as the saying goes). Because those teams won the championships, they will always be remembered as THE BEST. Sport is as much about heart and drive and performance when it counts as it is about stats and rankings.

The dismissal of Rondo as a player goes way back in here, as do many of the tendencies to hate on individual players who are "the enemy". I'm glad that this thread, even for a moment, could stay out of the homer and hate norm we too often see in here.

Stats are not for losers - they are simply one objective measure of a player's impact on a game. I don't think that stats tell the whole story either, but you have offered absolutely zero in the way of objective facts to support your claim (which, by the way, is not supportable) and yet you dismiss everyone on here as either a homer or a hater.

I am neither, I am just an unbiased sports fan who thinks (i) Rondo is a middle of the pack point guard, (ii) he is a dirty player that gets away with murder for some unknown reason, (iii) he plays on a great team and benefits greatly from that both on the floor and in media coverage, and (iv) he is in the midst of a very good run in the playoffs.

To say that Rondo is currently a star or a top 5 PG is ludicrous, however, I do agree that he is having a good run and shows some potential to be slightly higher than a middle of the pack point guard if he continues to progress over the next few years of his career.

By the way, nobody that is reasonable thinks that the team that wins the championship is automatically the best team. What is the drama in the playoffs if that is the case? Why do we go through the charade of making the Cavs beat up on the Pistons?

ink
05-08-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't think that stats tell the whole story either, but you have offered absolutely zero in the way of objective facts to support your claim (which, by the way, is not supportable) and yet you dismiss everyone on here as either a homer or a hater.

Right there you're showing that you're not dealing in facts.

By the way, nobody that is reasonable thinks that the team that wins the championship is automatically the best team. What is the drama in the playoffs if that is the case? Why do we go through the charade of making the Cavs beat up on the Pistons?

The point of going through the playoffs is to determine who will perform when it counts. Regardless of their regular season stats, what matters is what happens in the playoffs and especially the finals. The Detroit Pistons proved that when they upset the heavily favoured Lakers for example a few years back.

Sandman
05-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Rondo is a pesky little bastard whose biggest pesky asset is that he manages to float under Ref-radar.

Best defensive PG in NBA?

ElMarroAfamado
05-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Rondo is nasty... Celts r my home team so i get to watch them a lot. And he seems to get better each month... He gets a lot of rebounds. Yao ming only avg 0.9 rebounds more a game then rondo during the playoffs.. He leads the playoffs in assists per game w/ 11.9 and he avg 18.3

will be the finals mvp when celts win it this year

the celtics are not winning it this year.
if rondo was as great as some of you make him out to be then yes he will lead his team to a title .... but he wont

minus kg pierce and allen the celtics is full of a bums and below average players...

just look how open they leave rondo on the perimeter ....he should be ashamed of himself and embarassed......that he has to resort to dribble around empty spaces just cuz he wont shoot....sometimes he turns it over because of this

Jeremy5150
05-08-2009, 04:09 PM

Overrated.

One thing you are missing is his getting BETTER in the playoffs. There have been games where Pierce didn't show up, or Ray didn't show up... and Rondo is still doing his thing, even posting TDs. Overrated or not, the guy is playing All-Star basketball.

He is not a god yet. He does need to develop his offense a bit. Once he does this, and he will... he will be incredible.

Your comparison with Nash, Paul, and Williams is not really fair. Where are those teams now? Are they in the playoffs? Are they playing at the semi-final level? No... Don't blame Rondo for the Suns/Jazz/Hornets not having the firepower to get this far.

If I remember right, teams had to concentrate on Pippen, Rodman, Kerr, and Horace Grant. They had to concentrate on McHale, Parish, and Maxwell. They had to concentrate on Jabbar, and James Worthy. They had to concentrate on Drexler, and Elie, (Don't even get me started on Robert Horry)... Tony Parker, and the Admiral... Laimbeer and VJ... Get my drift?

Just because they can't but their sole concentration on Rondo takes NOTHING away from him. Any team who puts their sole concentration on one player..like they do the Suns, Hornets, and Jazz, means that they know they aren't defending a great team... Bottom line.

For one, read the rotating headline on NBA.com right now... "KEEPING RONDO UNDER WRAPS KEY FOR MAGIC IN GAME THREE!!!" It sounds like he may be UNDERRATED by coaches!!!

ALQ20
05-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Rondo's assists stats are overblown....there are some good assists that he dishes out...rarely...but ALL the rest of his assists is a quick dish to Ray Allen or Eddie House and they do a quick jumper. BAM! Assist...i give credit to House & Allen for their quick accurate shots.

Rondo just waits as House and Allen maneuver around and THEY make HIM look good. Rondo does have some penetrating skills, though his shooting isnt all there. (especially free throw %)

BUT...I give props to any point guard that gets a good amount of rebounds....but what does that say about your big men when the smallest guy has to go get the ball...?

no hate for rondo...just an observation. i would LOVE to see him on another team and see if he can create the plays and gain the same amount of assists. im 50/50 on that....

SJSHARKIES
05-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I don't know who I was arguing with, but I remember saying Rajon Rondo wasn't top 10 and was way overrated, I would like to take that all back, Rondo is the real deal people. He has turned me into a believer. Watch out for this kid.

Corey
05-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Rondo's assists stats are overblown....there are some good assists that he dishes out...rarely...but ALL the rest of his assists is a quick dish to Ray Allen or Eddie House and they do a quick jumper. BAM! Assist...i give credit to House & Allen for their quick accurate shots.

Rondo just waits as House and Allen maneuver around and THEY make HIM look good. Rondo does have some penetrating skills, though his shooting isnt all there. (especially free throw %)

BUT...I give props to any point guard that gets a good amount of rebounds....but what does that say about your big men when the smallest guy has to go get the ball...?

no hate for rondo...just an observation. i would LOVE to see him on another team and see if he can create the plays and gain the same amount of assists. im 50/50 on that....

House and Allen are good shooters, but the fact that Rondo is setting them up makes them even better.

Another poster brought up that they leave him open on the perimeter, and that should be a downside to his game. Guess what? They leave him wide open on the arc, and he still slashes and scores. What does that say?

I'll admit that the players around him are good, but the fact that he can set them all up, he can call the right plays in crunch time, he can realize when he needs to shoot, and when he can be passive, on top of the fact that he's the best rebounding point guard in the league; in addition to him being a top-5 defensive guard...?

This kid is the real deal, and people are finally starting to notice.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-08-2009, 05:27 PM
the celtics are not winning it this year.
if rondo was as great as some of you make him out to be then yes he will lead his team to a title .... but he wont

minus kg pierce and allen the celtics is full of a bums and below average players...

just look how open they leave rondo on the perimeter ....he should be ashamed of himself and embarassed......that he has to resort to dribble around empty spaces just cuz he wont shoot....sometimes he turns it over because of this

minus lebron...cavs dont win a game.
minus kobe....lakers dont win a game.
in the playoffs of course.

sure lets take the top 3 players on each team and im sure there will be sure fire hall of famers right left on the bench. right?

u gotta be kidding me.

well if u take away the rest of the starting line up, he cant do anything. no effen ****.

well if u take away lebron, z, and west, how will mo do out there? im sure he will win a title by himself. bc wally is legend, pavlovic is a HOF, and av is a mutlitime DPOY.

sorry got too worked up, just got back from ballen.

seriously ppl, just keep watching.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-08-2009, 05:29 PM

well honestly, Doc Rivers has really helped him out. he is basically his personal coach so idk what he would do else where.

jim51990
05-08-2009, 05:31 PM
i realy dont see why people hate on rondo so much
yet they love rose who is exactly rondo with a slight better (realy close) jumper and not as good d-fence
makes no sence

Tick
05-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Could be the best PG in the NBA. To pick it up the way he has in the playoffs is incredible. Only special players take it to a new level in the playoffs and he is a half a rebound away from averaging a triple double through 9 games. Incredible!

Tick
05-08-2009, 05:39 PM

Rondo is living off the big 3? Do you even watch basketball? Rondo has taken over the Celtics in the playoffs. He's the one that's winning games for the C's not the big 3.

bostncelts34
05-08-2009, 05:46 PM

He doesnt have alot of offensive skill sets, just uses his quickness, which gets him 10-15 a night.

Your right tho, hes a playmaking pointguard, which is exactly what you need on this team. He will only get better/

shepnat86
05-08-2009, 06:06 PM
A lot of people here are criticizing the individual parts of Rondo's game. You need to look at his game as a whole. He is a very well rounded player. He has incredible speed and ball handling. He doesn't turn the ball over that often and can dribble through any defense. He's a solid passer and has very good court vision. One of the main things that makes him so good, which people keep failing to mention, is his defense. He made the 2nd all defensive team this year. I agree that he is not a superstar because of his lack of offensive ability, but his game is playing stellar D, and handling and passing the ball without turning it over. He runs a smooth offense, which allows the other players on his team to thrive. He is also great at running the fast break. Anything else you get from Rondo is a bonus. You can't deny that he has improved greatly, since last year, in his offensive ability. And he should only continue to get better.

Lost Art
05-08-2009, 06:11 PM
He's been the best PG in the NBA during these playoffs and looks like the Celtics franchise player. When is his contract up?

shepnat86
05-08-2009, 06:16 PM

I don't know how you can put Rondo in the same category as Ford, Duhon, Calderon. I had Rondo on my fantasy squad and his numbers were better than all those guys including Nash. The only guys who had better numbers were Harris, Paul, Deron Williams, Kidd, Parker. That's if you look at the whole season though. Rondo got way better in the 2nd half. Kidd and Parkers numbers were barely better. In the 2nd half of the season, Rondo's fantasy numbers were only behind Deron, Paul, and Harris.

Duncan = Donkey
05-08-2009, 08:00 PM

ok so Nash had Stoudemire and Marion, does that mean hes overrated?before that he had Dirk and Finly.
Dwill has Boozer, Okur

amare isnt great at creating his own shot, with nash his numbers sky rocketed.

i think we can all see how average marion is without steve nash making him look like an all star.

Duncan = Donkey
05-08-2009, 08:01 PM
rondo is a good player overall, but i just dont view him as a top 5 Pg.

ink
05-08-2009, 08:02 PM
amare isnt great at creating his own shot, with nash his numbers sky rocketed.

i think we can all see how average marion is without steve nash making him look like an all star.

Not to pull the thread OT but that's what I thought too when I saw him play with the Heat. Marion was very good with the Raptors this year.

Duncan = Donkey
05-08-2009, 08:07 PM
very good is a stretch, he was just playng better then he was at the heat. He wasnt playing near his suns glory days

Duncan = Donkey
05-08-2009, 08:10 PM
at miami he was putting up 12 and 9. At Toronto he was puttin up 14 and 8.
At PHX he was putting up much better numbers.

always around the 20 and 10 mark

atl_braves_fan
05-08-2009, 08:23 PM
I don't know how you can put Rondo in the same category as Ford, Duhon, Calderon. I had Rondo on my fantasy squad and his numbers were better than all those guys including Nash. The only guys who had better numbers were Harris, Paul, Deron Williams, Kidd, Parker. That's if you look at the whole season though. Rondo got way better in the 2nd half. Kidd and Parkers numbers were barely better. In the 2nd half of the season, Rondo's fantasy numbers were only behind Deron, Paul, and Harris.

Because I am looking at more than just the last 9 games. I don't know what fantasy league you are in, but in any leagues of which I have been a part, Rondo is much closer to the likes of Calderon and Duhon than he is to Williams or Paul.

ink
05-08-2009, 08:27 PM
at miami he was putting up 12 and 9. At Toronto he was puttin up 14 and 8.
At PHX he was putting up much better numbers.

always around the 20 and 10 mark

He's also older and adapting to new teams. There's no doubt Nash did a lot for him but Marion is a unique talent and he still has a lot left. I was a real doubter before the trade went down but the contribution Marion made to the team changed my mind.

Duncan = Donkey
05-08-2009, 08:31 PM
yer marion is still good player without nash, no doubt about that.
But Nash just makes him alot better.

Kakaroach
05-08-2009, 10:40 PM
The new Jason Kidd perhaps? Maybe not yet, but he has been fantastic in the playoffs. I remember a lot of people saying that he could have gone to the All-Star game.

ragee
05-08-2009, 11:14 PM

I don't get that... Why can't he explode to the basket with KG in the lineup? Its nt like KG is going to block his shots...

ragee
05-08-2009, 11:18 PM
The new Jason Kidd perhaps? Maybe not yet, but he has been fantastic in the playoffs. I remember a lot of people saying that he could have gone to the All-Star game.

Yeah... I don't know if that can happen but the Celts will be lucky if he can keepthis up...\

cmellofan15
05-09-2009, 12:25 AM
He is a bad muthaf***a! He's really carried this team, Allen and Pierce are so inconsistent that Rondo had to takeover and it's sorta worked.

KB24PG16
05-09-2009, 12:51 AM

:nod:

ragee
05-09-2009, 01:04 AM
He is a bad muthaf***a! He's really carried this team, Allen and Pierce are so inconsistent that Rondo had to takeover and it's sorta worked.

Amen to that

gcoll
05-09-2009, 01:14 AM
i realy dont see why people hate on rondo so much
yet they love rose who is exactly rondo with a slight better (realy close) jumper and not as good d-fence
makes no sence

People hate on Rondo because of threads like this. People are declaring him to be some kind of superstar point guard, when he is nothing more than average.

Rose has more "up side" than Rondo.

ink
05-09-2009, 01:25 AM
From what I can see people are split between being excited about his play and people who doubt it will last.

ragee
05-09-2009, 02:08 AM
People hate on Rondo because of threads like this. People are declaring him to be some kind of superstar point guard, when he is nothing more than average.

I am no fan of the Celtics and I like Rose a lot... But we do have to give credit to Rondo... He did carry his team... No one would have thought that he would put up these numbers and no expected him to be the main guy of this team...

cmellofan15
05-09-2009, 02:12 AM
From what I can see people are split between being excited about his play and people who doubt it will last.

I'm on the excited side because I have no grudge against the Celtics and I like seeing regular player turn into something amazing. Some people aren't giving credit where it's due because they don't like the Celtics.

ragee
05-09-2009, 02:17 AM
I'm on the excited side because I have no grudge against the Celtics and I like seeing regular player turn into something amazing. Some people aren't giving credit where it's due because they don't like the Celtics.

It is quite obvious with your avatar... You guys are lucky to have that guy... I thought he was never gonna be able to come back...

iluvsports2much
05-09-2009, 02:39 AM
laker fan here!!!! and ill be tha first to admit i have ALWAYS like rajon rondo...i jus dont like him when the lakers play him cuz hes such a threat all game and can get anywahere on the court whenever he wants...i respect his game so much and i think hes got everything workin for him and he would become one of the elite PGs in the league if he gets his shot to go down wit more consistency,people play 5 feet off him and he still runs circles around them...its amazing,ill admit i wanted the lakers to draft farmar over him cuz he was a local,but i really like rondo too...he is definately one of the best PGs outta that draft class..i think anybody else that thinks any different is either blind or jus a hater....

AsfanSince99
05-09-2009, 02:39 AM

I hate Boston, but this guy is the real deal. He showed flashes in last year's playoffs. He also had to step up his game due to the injuries.

adrew35
05-09-2009, 04:48 AM
Rajon Rondo has impressed me.
If Celtics didn't have him they would be out of the playoffs.

codes238
05-09-2009, 06:00 AM
really all the people hating on him and calling him average are either bitter bulls fans whos team he just torched or delusional laker fans still mad about getting embarassed in last years finals... as a non-bias fan im gonna say he's pretty damn sick and i think he'll be the 4th best point guard in the league next year right behind CPS, dwill and rose...

NoSense
05-09-2009, 09:48 AM

+1
Rondo has been phenomenal throughout these playoffs, but not only do I think that Rose is going to get to that superstar level Rondo will never reach, but Rondo's attitude is just terrible IMHO.

Sandman
05-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Rondo isn't like any of those other players mentioned.

If you're looking for somebody to tell you that Chris Paul, Deron Williams or Derrick Rose is better than Rondo, you don't have to strain.

Rondo isn't somebody you build your offense around nor is he unstoppable. But, he is going to exploit the hell out of your teams weaknesses and he's going to make opponents stay on top of their game at all times. He's a downright pest on defense and he's making it known that he can dish.

123ottawa
05-09-2009, 10:41 AM
His rebounding is the one that surprises me the most... How can he grab that much rebounds?! I am really amazed... Rebounding is not something you can develop overnight... Its not like jump shots where you can just keep shooting and eventually, you will somehow get better... Much respect for this guy... I am not even a Celtic fan but I think he deserves a lot of credit for what he is doing for the Celtics...

He was averaging double figures in rebounds in the first 10-15 games when he was in Kentucky and he was the PG. His rebounding does not surprise me one bit and him turning to a superstar in most of your eyes surprised me. I've always thought of him as an underrated player and how he gets little credit for the celtics championship. Now he is dominating the playoffs and you'll are seeing a what i've been seeing for the last 2 years. I'm not a celtics fan but im a rando fan

Raptors next year baby

bostncelts34
05-09-2009, 11:32 AM

If you're looking for somebody to tell you that Chris Paul, Deron Williams or Derrick Rose is better than Rondo, you don't have to strain.

Rondo isn't somebody you build your offense around nor is he unstoppable. But, he is going to exploit the hell out of your teams weaknesses and he's going to make opponents stay on top of their game at all times. He's a downright pest on defense and he's making it known that he can dish.

I Actually agree with this. Rondo is not a building around type of PG like paul and such. But as you mentioned, he will absolutely pick apart a teams weaknesses on defense, and is an absolutely pest on D. For ANYONE to say they would not want this kid on your team, your just blind, or a hater.

bostncelts34
05-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Any guy that is nearly averaging a triple double through 10 playoffs games, is a stud. Plain and simple.

ragee
05-11-2009, 01:13 AM
He was averaging double figures in rebounds in the first 10-15 games when he was in Kentucky and he was the PG. His rebounding does not surprise me one bit and him turning to a superstar in most of your eyes surprised me. I've always thought of him as an underrated player and how he gets little credit for the celtics championship. Now he is dominating the playoffs and you'll are seeing a what i've been seeing for the last 2 years. I'm not a celtics fan but im a rando fan

Raptors next year baby

Well, I was neutral with him before... I think he can be a superstar but am not thinking it is a sure thing as Paul and Rose... Now, I am really impressed but I still want to see if he can keep doing this before I can really say that he is with the same level as Paul...

i.got.the.nutz
05-11-2009, 01:37 AM
hes been the celtics most consistent player these playoffs by far.

mjt20mik
05-11-2009, 01:53 AM

Dwill has Boozer, Okur

David West was a nobody till CP3 came into the Hornets. Also Chandler feeds off Paul, and Peja is a good 3 point shooter (his injuries have stopped him from being a good player in this league).

Nash had Amare and Marion and a bunch of talent for one year. The next year he was with a bunch of scrubs and made them good players.

I think Rondo is a great talent, but I'm more curious to see how he does when Ray, PP, and KG are gone. I'd have to wait till then to see if he is top 5 worthy. But no doubt, the kid is from 5-10.

Super.
05-11-2009, 07:25 AM

:laugh:

+1

Super.
05-11-2009, 07:27 AM

Did Rose almost average a triple double against the Celtics? Rose had ONE good game. Rose is really good, and will end up being a top 3 PG in the future, but in no way is he better than Rondo Right now

More-Than-Most
05-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Did Rose almost average a triple double against the Celtics? Rose had ONE good game. Rose is really good, and will end up being a top 3 PG in the future, but in no way is he better than Rondo Right now

Rose doesn't play for the talented Celtics... Rose has not been in the league 3 years under the same team like Rondo has. Rose didn't have the benefit of playing against the Chicago bulls suspect defense. Your a rookie point card and you get thrown into a first round match up with the defending champs and constantly hold your own and at points carry the team. Rose might not be better at this point and that is probably because the talent he has around him and him being in the league 1 year but he has the much higher ceiling when it comes to talent and how good he will be.

fredv
05-11-2009, 08:40 AM
21st draft pick. Wow. Scouts miss stuff sometimes!

TheDiggler
05-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Yes they do ! I really give credit to Rondo. He makes a amazing job for the Celtics. Great player, but has to be more "unemotional" sometimes. But, he's young ... so give him a bit more time.

Faneik
05-11-2009, 09:16 AM
21 pts/14 rebs/3 asts last night... meh...no triple double.:rolleyes:

Sandman
05-11-2009, 01:27 PM

We agree that Rose is a better asset. All I was trying to get at. :) I put him in the category as the other two guys because of his style of play, the type of prospect he is, and the direction he's headed.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-11-2009, 02:27 PM
David West was a nobody till CP3 came into the Hornets. Also Chandler feeds off Paul, and Peja is a good 3 point shooter (his injuries have stopped him from being a good player in this league).

Nash had Amare and Marion and a bunch of talent for one year. The next year he was with a bunch of scrubs and made them good players.

I think Rondo is a great talent, but I'm more curious to see how he does when Ray, PP, and KG are gone. I'd have to wait till then to see if he is top 5 worthy. But no doubt, the kid is from 5-10.

but somebody else will be there to replace them considering those 3 take up approximately $65 million

what54!?
05-11-2009, 02:36 PM
but somebody else will be there to replace them considering those 3 take up approximately $65 millionyeah but I don't think you guys will get real big named players there. You need some players on your team to lure them there too.

BTownTeamsRKing
05-11-2009, 03:01 PM
yeah but I don't think you guys will get real big named players there. You need some players on your team to lure them there too.

well its early too speculate. the Big 3 era isnt over quite yet, so its impossible to know who will be available in a few years.

my guess, Joe Johnson returns to Boston and replaces Pierce as the franchise along with Rondo, Perk, and Davis.

JayW_1023
05-11-2009, 06:37 PM
When Rondo plays his A game no PG in the East plays at a higher level.

Reversed86Curse
05-11-2009, 07:21 PM
yeah but I don't think you guys will get real big named players there. You need some players on your team to lure them there too.

If that's true, how are the Knicks in the 'running' for Lebron? David Lee??

It's more about money and the prospect of winning.... the Celtics have some really good young talent, so the prospect of winning in the future is definately there, not to mention the money that will be free'd up from the big 3