PDA

View Full Version : McCann in for friday against Phils

MrJones
05-08-2009, 12:15 AM
McCann to rejoin Braves on Friday
Catcher ready to return to Majors after successful rehab game

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. -- After a frustrating couple of weeks, Brian McCann seems to have finally overcome the vision issues that have been plaguing him.

McCann hit an RBI double in the first inning of a successful injury rehab with Triple-A Gwinnett on Thursday night and will rejoin the Atlanta Braves in Philadelphia on Friday for the start of a weekend series.

"I'm pretty sure I'll be in the starting lineup, ready to go," said McCann, who is eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list before the game. "I'm excited to get back and join the team. I think everything is going to go great."

McCann, who had Lasik surgery two years ago, began to have blurred vision in his left eye shortly after the start of the season and was in a 1-for-20 slump when he was placed on the DL on April 25.

It was thought that contact lenses would clear up the problem, but they caused irritation and dryness. After having trouble at the plate during two rehab games with Class A Myrtle Beach last week, it was decided that wearing glasses was needed.

"We tried about a million things," McCann said.

Special prescription Oakley sports glasses were ordered late last week, but the correct glasses didn't arrive until about 1 p.m. Thursday. Five hours later, McCann was in the lineup for Gwinnett's International League game against Syracuse.

On the fifth pitch he faced in the first inning, McCann lashed a double down the right-field line for Gwinnett's first run in a 4-0 victory. He was intentionally walked in the third inning, robbed of a hit on a diving stop by Syracuse first baseman Brad Eldred in the fifth and lined out to right field in the seventh.

"It went good," McCann said.

Catching with the glasses under his new hockey-style mask proved to be a little bit of a challenge, although he did throw out former Atlanta teammate Pete Orr trying to steal second base in the third inning and also made a tag play for an out at the plate.

McCann, who wasn't sure if he needed the glasses to catch, caught with them on during the first two innings, took them off for the next six and then put them back on in the ninth.

"I tried to catch without the glasses there for a little bit," McCann said. "I'm going to have to come up with something where I catch and don't let them fog up while I hit.

"I'm not used to taking the mask on and off. I kind of smeared the lens. I was going to try to go the rest of the game without wearing them. But I'm probably going to have to wear them when I catch."

A second pair of glasses is supposed to arrive next week, allowing McCann to switch his glasses out during a game.

"It's been hard, very frustrating," McCann said. "But I think everything is taken care of now. I feel really good about it."

Hopefully B-Mac comes back and swings a hot bat with a lot of confidence... but something tells me that with the "fogging" issue and only playing one game with the glasses so far, that this still might be a struggle... if not long term than at least at the beginning.

LeoGetz
05-08-2009, 12:23 AM
When I play paintball I have a fan in my mask to prevent fogging when I wear sunglasses, I wonder if something like that would work in this case.

sniglewhat
05-08-2009, 12:32 AM
that actually could work. if anything it will nice to have his protection for chipper. kotchman really isnt that intimidating. at all. im so glad to have bmac back

robdizzle3
05-08-2009, 12:33 AM
This is great news for us,and especially after coming out of the short series in Florida with a sweep.This may be the morale boost that we need

ATLKoos16
05-08-2009, 01:08 AM
that actually could work. if anything it will nice to have his protection for chipper. kotchman really isnt that intimidating. at all. im so glad to have bmac back

You have to give it to Kotchman though, he is really swinging the stick good. He hit awesome today

BRAVE KID
05-08-2009, 01:33 AM
didn't know kotch had a .377 OBP with 9 walks to go along with his 11 K's, not bad kotch. The only thing people get on kotch though is his 6 RBI's, he does have one of the best strokes though.

robdizzle3
05-08-2009, 01:43 AM
I think he is 2nd or 3rd in the N.L for doubles

BRAVE KID
05-08-2009, 01:58 AM
I think he is 2nd or 3rd in the N.L for doublestied for second.

jmtapia
05-08-2009, 03:07 AM
didn't know kotch had a .377 OBP with 9 walks to go along with his 11 K's, not bad kotch. The only thing people get on kotch though is his 6 RBI's, he does have one of the best strokes though.

23 AB .217/.379/.304/.683 OPS

theres a reason why our offense has been lacking.... we need some of these guys to start coming up in the clutch....

baseballislife7
05-08-2009, 10:16 AM
BMAC, welcome back. It starts tonight, time for us all to start talking positive again Also good to see Schafer get two hits yesterday, if he starts clicking, wow we could become dangerous.