PDA

View Full Version : Pitino to return to the Pros? As Kings coach?

superkegger
05-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Source: Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApuESm34qpMX91kW1HsVeHq8vLYF?slug=aw-pitinokings050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Rick Pitino has emerged as a candidate for the Sacramento Kings’ coaching job, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Pitino has communicated his interest in a possible NBA return to Kings ownership, sources say, and one league official describes the Maloof family as “intrigued.”

It is believed that Pitino intermediaries initiated the contact. No Kings offer is imminent and so far conversations have been exploratory in nature.

Sources caution that there are significant hurdles that need to be cleared before Pitino could become Sacramento’s coach, but say for a variety of reasons Pitino is feeling the pull of the pros again.

Kings co-owner Gavin Maloof denied that the Kings have spoken with Pitino, but several NCAA and NBA sources strongly insist that Pitino has talked by phone with at least one member of the family and has been a major topic of discussion within the organization the past week.

I don't know if any of you remember his last stint in the NBA, but it wasn't exactly successful. I understand the pull of coaching in the NBA, but some guys are just better suited for the College game, and I think Pitino is one of them. I think it'd be best for him to just stay in Louisville.

Missing56&33
05-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Source: Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApuESm34qpMX91kW1HsVeHq8vLYF?slug=aw-pitinokings050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

I don't know if any of you remember his last stint in the NBA, but it wasn't exactly successful. I understand the pull of coaching in the NBA, but some guys are just better suited for the College game, and I think Pitino is one of them. I think it'd be best for him to just stay in Louisville.

I like the idea of him coming back to the NBA. I feel hes better suited for the NBA. I disagree with you on the success of his last stint. Although the Celts were not atop the league, he drafted PP and AW and he played a big part in getting that team back to the playoffs when he left. Who could forget the famous Larry Bird, Robert Parrish, Kevin McHale, not walking through that door speech. He was right. I'll personally never forget what he did for the knicks in 88-89' season, with Stu Jackson right behind him.

RP has the respect of the players and will be a good coach for the Kings IMO

bahama0811
05-07-2009, 11:54 PM
This would be a big mistake. He needs to stay at Louisville. He's pretty well set there.

ntat
05-08-2009, 12:06 AM
im not drooling over the thought of gettin him...

td0tsfinest
05-08-2009, 08:19 AM
I think its a bad idea. The team needs to get in the right road before hiring a capable coach. He might end in the same situation as Reggie Theus, who I thought was an ok coach with want was given him.

Slaps
05-08-2009, 08:35 AM
I hope for Kings fans this does not happen. Would be funny for him to have another major meltdown but I don't think he can handle the pressure.

Mile High Champ
05-08-2009, 08:53 AM
At this point the kings could do a lot worse than Pitino..

Pierzynski4Prez
05-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Pitino is not leaving the Ville. Not a chance. He doesn't like coaching in the NBA.

superkegger
05-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Pitino is not leaving the Ville. Not a chance. He doesn't like coaching in the NBA.

Well, when it's rumored he's interested in the job, and that it was his end that has expressed the interest, not the Kings trying to pry him away from Louisville, then there is a chance he could return to the NBA to coach.

abe_froman
05-08-2009, 04:06 PM
i dont think it would be bad,he acknowledged that he made mistakes the first time up..and what they were.,so i doubt he'll repeat them

superkegger
05-08-2009, 04:11 PM
i dont think it would be bad,he acknowledged that he made mistakes the first time up..and what they were.,so i doubt he'll repeat them

Yeah, but that was what, 12 years ago? Pitino will always have a vast knowledge of the X's and O's part of coaching no matter what level he coaches at. But the NBA has changed so much from when he coached in it last, and I just don't think a jump to the pro's at this point would be all that succesful. At least nowhere near the success he will have if he stays at Louisville.

abe_froman
05-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah, but that was what, 12 years ago? Pitino will always have a vast knowledge of the X's and O's part of coaching no matter what level he coaches at. But the NBA has changed so much from when he coached in it last, and I just don't think a jump to the pro's at this point would be all that succesful. At least nowhere near the success he will have if he stays at Louisville.

no it wouldnt but that might entice him on wanting to come up,it being a new challenge(since ville is auto pilot for the rest of career), and 2.to try and erase the stigma from the disaster known as his first trip to the pros