PDA

View Full Version : Final 8 teams

Rox07
05-07-2009, 11:26 AM
How would you rank the final 8 teams remaining in the playoffs. Based on the playoffs so far.

My rank is :

8. Mavs
7. Hawks
6. Magic
5. Celtics
4. Rockets
3. Cavs
2. Nuggets
1. Lakers

The final four were really hard for me to choose b/c all 4 of them have been hot in the playoffs, but the Nuggets have really torn it up so far. I think they are #1 in scoring and #2 in defense which is unbelievable.

IndyRealist
05-07-2009, 11:35 AM
The Nuggets look good, but the Cavs were the only ones to get a sweep in the first round.

The Lakers looked kind of vulnerable the last two games, even though they beat the Rockets last night. I mean, it should be par if the Lakers beat the Rockets, it shouldn't be news.

8. Mavs
7. Hawks
6. Magic
5. Celtics
4. Rockets
3. Nuggets
2. Lakers
1. Cavs

superkegger
05-07-2009, 11:56 AM
How do you put the only team who hasn't lost a game, and hasn't even had a close game yet in 3rd? Cavs are clearly #1 at this point.

bidi_nash
05-07-2009, 12:08 PM
8. Hawks
7. Mavs
6. Celtics
5. Magic
4. Rockets
3. Lakers
2. Nuggets
1. Cavaliers

mightybosstone
05-07-2009, 12:14 PM
1. Cavs
2. Nuggets
3. Rockets
4. Celtics
5. Magic
6. Mavericks
7. Hawks

masalex1205
05-07-2009, 12:14 PM
How do you put the only team who hasn't lost a game, and hasn't even had a close game yet in 3rd? Cavs are clearly #1 at this point.

^agree 100%, the team w/ the best record from the regular season who hasn't lost a game gets put a #3?

Also Lakers should be #2

masalex1205
05-07-2009, 12:18 PM
think the hawks should be above the mavs, they just got unlucky and have to play the cavs in the second round

mightybosstone
05-07-2009, 12:24 PM
think the hawks should be above the mavs, they just got unlucky and have to play the cavs in the second round

True, but it only took the Mavs 5 games to beat the Spurs, who (with or without Ginobili) are still a tough out in the playoffs. The Hawks played an ugly 7 game series with Miami, who looked beat up in their playoff series. And the Mavs have also played two relatively close games with Denver, until the Nuggets pulled away in the 4th quarter...

avsman05
05-07-2009, 12:52 PM
^agree 100%, the team w/ the best record from the regular season who hasn't lost a game gets put a #3?

Also Lakers should be #2

Agree'd with Cavs but Lakers #2? Here's my reasoning.

1. Cavaliers are 5-0 havent lost at all and all wins were convincing
2. Nuggets 6-1 all wins were convincing and 1 loss was by 2
3. Lakers 6-2 lost once to utah by two and then they were beat by 8 at home
4. Houston 5-3 beat a very talented Portland team in 6 and took 1 in LA hard to do
5. Orlando 5-3 beat a tough philly team without howard and lee in game 6 and took 1 in Boston.
6. Boston 5-4 was taken to 7 in the first round again and lost 1 at home to Orlando.
7. Dallas 4-3 beat handily the Spurs in 5 even though depleted.
8. Atlanta 4-4 either gets blown out or is the team doing the blowing. no pun intended.

avsman05
05-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Agree'd with Cavs but Lakers #2? Here's my reasoning.

1. Cavaliers are 5-0 havent lost at all and all wins were convincing
2. 6-1 all wins were convincing and 1 loss was by 2
3. 6-2 lost once to utah by two and then they were beat by 8 at home
4. Houston 5-3 beat a very talented Portland in 6 and took 1 in LA hard to do
5. Orlando 5-3 beat a tough philly without howard and lee in game 6 and took 1 in Boston.
6. Boston 5-4 was taken to 7 in the first round again and lost 1 at home to Orlando.
7. Dallas 4-3 beat handily the Spurs in 5 even though depleted.
8. Atlanta 4-4 either gets blown out or is the team doing the blowing. no pun intended.

True, but it only took the Mavs 5 games to beat the Spurs, who (with or without Ginobili) are still a tough out in the playoffs. The Hawks played an ugly 7 game series with Miami, who looked beat up in their playoff series. And the Mavs have also played two relatively close games with Denver, until the Nuggets pulled away in the 4th quarter...

You could say the same thing about Dallas being unlucky and having to play the team thats averaging a 21 pt win margin. The only team ever to do that through 7 games in the playoffs.

Rox07
05-07-2009, 01:02 PM

Well I've had this discussion with alot of people (they all agree w/ you) and I feel like the east just isn't as strong as the west. The amount of effort they have to put in to get a W is a lot less than those of western conference teams. Plus I feel like the lakers and rockets match up perfectly against the cavs.

stacopple
05-07-2009, 01:21 PM
1. Nuggets -> Winning decisively in the West. Right now, this team could take any team in the league. If I'm the Lakers, I'd want to bear down and finish the Rockets. Going through a long series to meet the Nuggets could spell the end of their season.

2. Cavs -> Showing the East that they're going to plow their way to the finals. And really, who can stop them?

3. Lakers -> The most talented team in the league. When your play is considered lackadaisical and you do this well, you're damn good.

4. Rockets -> Handling Portland and showing some grit.

5. Celtics -> KG is gone. Rondo has been stellar and Allen and Pierce take turns showing up for games. No game they play seems sure.

6. Magic -> Handled the 76ers but they look a bit shaky. Don't think they're ready for primetime nor is Dwight offensively ready to carry a load.

7. Mavericks -> Sure, they handled an ailing Spurs but that journey has stopped.

8. Hawks -> Inconsistency defined. The Hawks are brilliant at times but this team shows its inexperience at every turn.

Kabowdos
05-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Im a Lakers fan.

Cavs are number one right now. They are undefeated in the playoffs. One can argue that they haven't played the talent level as the Lakers or some other teams, but the fact is they are undefeated and have been dominating thus far.

Nuggets - Scariest team
Rockets - Look like they are getting better as the playoffs go on
Magic - if they don't beat the Celtics, they don't deserve any credit
Celtics - Doesn't matter what they do, they have no KG, that will be the reason
Hawks - they aren't beating the Cavs, it is over for them soon
Mavericks - they are done.
Lakers are number two and right behind the Cavs. Hou and the Jazz are solid teams. Hou series can be a tough one for the Lakers. Remember though, Celtics went 7 games with two teams last season and still won the Finals. Maybe this is good for the Lakers.

harm0n1x
05-07-2009, 02:11 PM
There's 3 teams that are a cut above the rest, Cavs are #1, Nuggets #2 and Lakers at #3. Plain and simple

Testaverde16
05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
8. Mavs
7. Hawks
6. Magic
5. Celtics
4. Rockets
3. Nuggets
2. Lakers
1. Cavs

Lebron23
05-07-2009, 03:27 PM
8. Mavs
7. Hawks
6. Magic
5. Celtics
4. Rockets
3. Nuggets
2. Lakers
1. Cavs

SteveNash
05-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Nuggets
Cavs
Lakers
Magic
Rockets
Celtics
Mavs
Hawks

madiaz3
05-07-2009, 04:25 PM

They swept #16 of the first round and are beating up on #7 or arguably #8. That's about all I can think of.

superkegger
05-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Cleveland has yet to have a game be decided by less than 11 points. Don't care who their competiton is, and it is arguable the easierst in the playoffs thus far, but they earned that from the regular season. They're the best team in the playoffs, right now.

Lebron23
05-07-2009, 04:36 PM
If the Cavaliers played in the West. They are going to swept the Mavericks, The Hornets, and the Spurs. ( 3 teams that are horrible defensively than the Atlanta Hawks)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats?sort=defeff&seasonType=3&league=nba&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fteamstats%3fsort%3ddefeff%26seasonT ype%3d3%26league%3dnba

Cavaliers are the best defensive team/ 2nd best Offensive Team in the playoffs, and they are only giving up 76 ppg ( Opponent's combined PPG)

AMC31
05-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Ok my Cavs should be number 1 on every list, i dont understand why they should be below number 1, they havent lost a game yet!
Mine is:

1.Cavs
2.lakers
3.nuggets
4.boston--
5.magic---very close between magic and celtics
6.rockets
7.hawks
8.mavs

i.got.the.nutz
05-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Cavs gotta be number 1. They have been playing great basketball

SteveNash
05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
If the Cavaliers played in the West. They are going to swept the Mavericks, The Hornets, and the Spurs. ( 3 teams that are horrible defensively than the Atlanta Hawks)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats?sort=defeff&seasonType=3&league=nba&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fteamstats%3fsort%3ddefeff%26seasonT ype%3d3%26league%3dnba

Cavaliers are the best defensive team/ 2nd best Offensive Team in the playoffs, and they are only giving up 76 ppg ( Opponent's combined PPG)

Those stats are basically useless...

Lebron23
05-07-2009, 07:32 PM
^^^ Defense >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Offense. That's why your Phoenix Suns never made it in the NBA Finals, and this year they failed to advanced in the playoffs.

VCaintdead17
05-07-2009, 07:50 PM

Well, you have to remember the competition level.

The pistons were arguably the worse team to make the playoffs, while the Lakers and Nuggets both played tough teams in the Jazz and Hornets, but still dominated.

Not to mention the Nuggets being ahead of Dallas right now 2-0.

astrosmaniac
05-07-2009, 08:03 PM
^^^ Defense >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Offense. That's why your Phoenix Suns never made it in the NBA Finals, and this year they failed to advanced in the playoffs.

yes but opponents PPG is a horrible stat to use to determine defense. there are sooo many factors, such as do they play fast paced game of slow paced game. if a team like the rockets score 95, thats not a great defensive performance, while if a team like the lakers scored 95 it would be a great defensive performance

Lebron23
05-07-2009, 08:19 PM
yes but opponents PPG is a horrible stat to use to determine defense. there are sooo many factors, such as do they play fast paced game of slow paced game. if a team like the rockets score 95, thats not a great defensive performance, while if a team like the lakers scored 95 it would be a great defensive performance

That's the Official Defensive Efficiency on ESPN and Basketball Reference.

bostncelts34
05-07-2009, 08:49 PM
cavs
denver
lakerss
boston
houston
magic
mav
hawks

with boston,magic and houston pretty interchangeable