PDA

View Full Version : The official fouls and officiating thread of the Lakers-Rockets series

Pages : [1] 2 3

Chronz
05-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Suspension worthy, or is he just sending a message?

FOBolous
05-05-2009, 03:38 AM
he's Kobe so he's "sending a message." If it's anyone else...it would be a suspension :)

tdunk21
05-05-2009, 03:39 AM
not suspension worthy i guess...

Lebron23
05-05-2009, 03:49 AM
It's definitely a Suspension, but Stern and his Official ain't going to suspend Kobe because he's a Superstar.

sp1derm00
05-05-2009, 04:03 AM
It could be interpreted either way. I don't think he did it on purpose.

Lakersfan2483
05-05-2009, 04:12 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/14v1d38.gif

http://i40.tinypic.com/xelpxl.gif

Was Rondo's swipe at Brad Miller suspension worthy, how about K. Mart's cheap shot at Dirk? None of those guys were suspended, so why should Kobe be suspended. Also, it wasn't a cheap shot, Kobe was on top of Battier and Battier tried to stand up before he could get up resulting in Kobe's knee hitting him in the head. What did you expect to happen after that play? I am glad the refs didn't call a techincal and or a flagrant because it wasn't warranted.

*I can't believe you would even ask is it suspension worthy., clearly it wasn't.

codes238
05-05-2009, 04:15 AM
Was Rondo's swipe at Brad Miller suspension worthy, how about K. Mart's cheap shot at Dirk? None of those guys were suspended, so why should Kobe be suspended. Also, it wasn't a cheap shot, Kobe was on top of Battier and Battier tried to stand up before he could get up resulting in the knee hitting him in the head. I am glad the refs didn't call a techincal and or a flagrant because it wasn't warranted.

*I can't believe you would even ask is it suspension worthy., clearly it wasn't.

it wasnt the knee, he elbowed him in the head... rondos play was within a game and kmart hip-checked dirk... kobes play is more comparable to dwight howards elbow... personally i dont think he should be suspended cause stern has pussified the league enough already, but i wouldnt be surprised if he did...

GoatMilk
05-05-2009, 04:16 AM
he didnt even get a T for this

much ado about nothing

downsos
05-05-2009, 04:22 AM
If Rondo didn't get suspended do you really think that Kobe will?

FarOutIos
05-05-2009, 04:25 AM
Was Rondo's swipe at Brad Miller suspension worthy, how about K. Mart's cheap shot at Dirk? None of those guys were suspended, so why should Kobe be suspended. Also, it wasn't a cheap shot, Kobe was on top of Battier and Battier tried to stand up before he could get up resulting in Kobe's knee hitting him in the head. What did you expect to happen after that play? I am glad the refs didn't call a techincal and or a flagrant because it wasn't warranted.

Of course it wasn't suspension worthy... you are a lakers fan. These questions should be ONLY answered by unbiased fans. For example, I did not care either way regarding the Rondo foul on Brad Miller, but I think it should have been a flagrant.

I did not see the kobe play... but from the replay, it DEFINITELY should be reviewed.

FarOutIos
05-05-2009, 04:27 AM
Was it even called a foul on Kobe? The ball was clearly under Battier and it looks like kobe fell on top of him. This would be a foul on Kobe since he fell onto the opposing player. Forgive me for not knowing the outcome, but was a foul called?

Lakersfan2483
05-05-2009, 04:28 AM
That play is a non-issue, both guys were tangled up, so what, time to move on. The league is not going to look into suspending Bryant because there is no need to do so. It's a non-issue.

Lakersfan2483
05-05-2009, 04:28 AM
Was it even called a foul on Kobe? The ball was clearly under Battier and it looks like kobe fell on top of him. This would be a foul on Kobe since he fell onto the opposing player. Forgive me for not knowing the outcome, but was a foul called?

The foul was called and the game went on, time to move on.

junion
05-05-2009, 04:33 AM
int he first .gif it looks like the elbow could have been intentional, until i saw the second .gif, and it looks like battier is trying to get up before kobe can, and kobe shoves him a little... physicality meets physicality. in the 2nd .gif it looks like kobe's left foot was trying to get balance. if he wanted to hurt him, he would have stepped on his hand.

DenButsu
05-05-2009, 05:12 AM
He should at least get a flagrant and a $25,000 fine, which is what K-Mart got for his push, which while blatant and definitely a flagrant, was really not as bad as it looked (Dirk flopped it pretty good).

And Rondo should have missed a game for sure.

What Kobe gets should be in that range, most definitely.

gqjatt209
05-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Just another Kobe cheap shot...Nuthin' new.

D-Amazins
05-05-2009, 05:40 AM
If howard got suspended they BETTER at least review the play.

Tblaze
05-05-2009, 05:57 AM
He's just trying to gain balance, and of course he won't do EVERYTHING he can to not hit Battier.. But it isn't even a flagrant. Just a foul on Kobe which was called so big deal...

and I don't even like Kobe..

bostncelts34
05-05-2009, 07:11 AM

your joking right? im not saying this is suspension worthy. But your blaming battier for trying to get up?hahahaha wowwwwww. Yea, kobe elbowed AND kneed him in the head, but its battiers' fault for trying to get up, your right.:eyebrow:

JayW_1023
05-05-2009, 07:24 AM
I consider myself a big Kobe-admirer and the knee looks indeliberate, but the elbow was definately unnecessairy.

As a Spurs fan I've seen Bruce Bowen play enough to tell the difference between cheap and non-deliberate.

ra8erfan111
05-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Not suspension worthy at all! Rondo had a cheap shot on Brad Miller, and through Kirk Hinrich into the scorers table and didn't even get fined are u serious?

handbanana55
05-05-2009, 07:44 AM
It's definitely a Suspension, but Stern and his Official ain't going to suspend Kobe because he's a Superstar.

AMEN:mad:

td0tsfinest
05-05-2009, 07:57 AM
that was a ***** movement. Just don't know if he'll be suspended for that. IMO, he should but IMO, so should have Rondo, but he wasn't.

Bullsfan22
05-05-2009, 08:05 AM
that was a cheap shot but it shouldn't warrant a suspension if none of rondo's plays did.

GspLAL
05-05-2009, 08:07 AM
That looked similar to D12's elbow, as much as I love Kobe, that looks like it should be reviewed sadly, it looked intentional and it was an elbow to the head, should it warrant a suspension? I dunno, because Rondo just grabbed someone and threw him at the table for no reason at all.

_Supreme_
05-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Dwight Howard got suspended because his elbow made contact with the head in an illegal way (aka not accidental), and according to NBA rules that = suspension.

Kobe's elbow made contact with Battier's head, and it definitely wasn't accidental. The only difference is that Howard swung it blatantly while Kobe of course did this in a sneaky way which is typical for him.

So yeah, if Howard got suspended Kobe should be suspended also.

And no I did not agree with Howard's suspension (and probably wouldn't agree with Kobe's if he gets one), but the rules are the rules right?

I bet the NBA will find a way to come up with some poor excuse not to suspend him though.

JordansBulls
05-05-2009, 08:13 AM

didn't Dwight get suspended?

mrmike101
05-05-2009, 08:26 AM

How in the world do you accidentaly jump on a persons back. Homer you have a brain use it!!!

mrmike101
05-05-2009, 08:29 AM
The foul was called and the game went on, time to move on.

Time to go back to the power plant HOMER!!!!! (the radiation has fried your logic)

NYstateofMinD
05-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Wow at first glance it doesn't seem suspension worthy, but after looking at it the 3rd and 4th times it really looks like he purposely did it. He also got whacked by Sasha. That's not cool, Shane Battier is a good guy.

NYstateofMinD
05-05-2009, 08:35 AM
^^I'm still a Kobe fan, but I am disappointed.

Wilson
05-05-2009, 10:00 AM
I don't think there was anything in the knee, looked like Kobe was trying to get up but Shane caught the knee because he tried to get up at the same time.

The elbow looked a little fishy though. Maybe he should get fined for that, but not suspended. It wasn't a full swing, more just a shove.

People seemed to get very defensive very quickly in this thread by the way...

Wilson
05-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Wow at first glance it doesn't seem suspension worthy, but after looking at it the 3rd and 4th times it really looks like he purposely did it. He also got whacked by Sasha. That's not cool, Shane Battier is a good guy.

The Sasha one was definately not intentional. If I remember correctly, he was just trying to bat the ball back to a team-mate, and caught Battier's eye in the process.

theimortalone
05-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Jeez Kobe. :pity:

Rox07
05-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Well in the lakers forum I asked this question and they said it wasn't even tech worthy LOL

Battier is a good guy but b/c he didnt retaliate kobe didn't get a tech and he probably wont get a fine or suspension either. I just think its crazy how he didn't even get a technical foul in the game. How blind are the refs...?

DenButsu
05-05-2009, 10:14 AM
How blind are the refs...?

Sometimes the refs are very, very blind. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqFnXc5Ctyo)

king4day
05-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Can someone fill me in on what happend here? Looks like he fell on him, but I don't see any wrongdoing. What am I missing?

DenButsu
05-05-2009, 10:23 AM
What am I missing?

Kobe's elbow to Battier's face as he's getting up off him.

op12
05-05-2009, 10:29 AM
im not a kobe fan, but i would let that go. didnt look terrible to me but no one should be throwing elbows. i also didnt think rondos hit was all that bad and the whole psd world was in an uproar over it. the only hit that i thought was bad was dwights.

masalex1205
05-05-2009, 10:31 AM
The Knee could be passed as Battier and Kobe just getting "tangled up". However, Kobe's elbow clearly comes back down as Battier is trying to get up.

Anytime you have an intentional elbow it should warrant a suspension.

But ratings w/ Kobe>>>>ratings w/o Kobe

HOZ THE KNICK
05-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Dirty.

Hawkeye15
05-05-2009, 10:47 AM
yes, it is suspension worthy, as was Dwights shot. It had no basketball purpose. Rondo was trying to swipe and foul out of desperation. I still thought Rondo deserved a suspension. Kobe does for sure. However, he will not be fined, or punished in any way.

prash
05-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Kobe will no get suspended no matter what he does. He has diplomatic immunity.

That was a cheap shot by Kobe. That's how the lil ****** rolls...

Good thing Battier is got class.

Super.
05-05-2009, 10:57 AM
it more or less looked like Battier played solid defense, and kobe got frustrated, i dont think this is anything serious. its playoff basketball, and intense ****

EDIT: on closer examination, i see Kobe elbow....in Battiers face. if you suspend howard for the same thing...and not Kobe....:sigh:

Jabears85
05-05-2009, 10:59 AM

Your a lakers fan you bias ****, its not worthy of a suspension. But Kobe completely intended to elbow him and knee him. I think should have at least been an off the ball foul.

Jaji
05-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Kobe is a b!tch. Even Laker fans have to admit that.

championships
05-05-2009, 11:01 AM
he's Kobe so he's "sending a message." If it's anyone else...it would be a suspension :)

No suspension. Anyone else except Rondo twice, K-mart,KG and Kobe:)

WSU Tony
05-05-2009, 11:06 AM
He should at least get a flagrant and a $25,000 fine, which is what K-Mart got for his push, which while blatant and definitely a flagrant, was really not as bad as it looked (Dirk flopped it pretty good).

And Rondo should have missed a game for sure.

What Kobe gets should be in that range, most definitely.

Stars get better treatment than the average NBA player, plain and simple. It's funny how making money can become more important than morals and ethics.

ESPN showed the clip and cut it out RIGHT before Kobe threw the elbow. Funny how that happens.....

The more I learn about the league and ESPN the more dissapointed I get. It almost makes me sick knowing that players get treated differently and how much power ESPN really has over how people think. It is rediculous.

ESPN will show the stat lines and they will show that Kobe had 35 points but they won't tell you he took 30 some shots at a terrible percentage. Lets face it if ESPN promotes you, your on the fast track to stardom.

Hawkeye15
05-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Stars get better treatment than the average NBA player, plain and simple. It's funny how making money can become more important than morals and ethics.

ESPN showed the clip and cut it out RIGHT before Kobe threw the elbow. Funny how that happens.....

The more I learn about the league and ESPN the more dissapointed I get. It almost makes me sick knowing that players get treated differently and how much power ESPN really has over how people think. It is rediculous.

ESPN will show the stat lines and they will show that Kobe had 35 points but they won't tell you he took 30 some shots at a terrible percentage. Lets face it if ESPN promotes you, your on the fast track to stardom.

just figuring this out now? haha. Stop watching ESPN. It rots the brain.

Tragedy
05-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Well, he clearly tried to elbow a guy to the head...........Same thing that Howard did. Yes, he should be suspended.

However, this is Kobe 'I have consensual sex with woman' Bryant, so he's getting off with nothing.

Jaji
05-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Well, he clearly tried to elbow a guy to the head...........Same thing that Howard did. Yes, he should be suspended.

However, this is Kobe 'I have consensual sex with woman' Bryant, so he's getting off with nothing.

In all fairness, that chick was a ho.

b_russ
05-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Typical Kobe. No Class.

bal_ravens
05-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Yet if Artest does this to Kobe, Artest would be suspended for 3 games.

Kabowdos
05-05-2009, 11:48 AM
No way. It is arguable, but when you look at other instances in just the playoffs this season... he is not getting suspended.

theimortalone
05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Yet if Artest does this to Kobe, Artest would be suspended for 3 games.

:clap: I agree 100% bro. It's a damn shame. :pity: The officials need to get off of Kobe's nuts!

HoosierDaddy
05-05-2009, 11:59 AM
It's not a big deal. Hopefully it gets the Rockets some motivation though

Fool
05-05-2009, 12:06 PM
this thread is ridiculous. and you guys think laker fans are bad? It wasn't even intentional. Hilarious that you guys are attacking Kobe but no one cares about Rondo's countless d-bag moves in the Chicago series, or whenever Paul Pierce or Garnett pull their cheap :censored:

pacofunk64
05-05-2009, 12:09 PM
He won't get suspended it wasn't that bad. But this is why Kobe doesnt get the respect many people think he deserves. Battier is a bigger man & will just continue to shut him down with his great defense.

NJrockPD
05-05-2009, 12:12 PM

Not Rondo.

masalex1205
05-05-2009, 12:20 PM
this thread is ridiculous. and you guys think laker fans are bad? It wasn't even intentional. Hilarious that you guys are attacking Kobe but no one cares about Rondo's countless d-bag moves in the Chicago series, or whenever Paul Pierce or Garnett pull their cheap :censored:

I agree that the knee was not intentional but I don't see how you can watch that video and come to the conclusion that the elbow wasn't.

Also, how can you say that no one cares about the Rondo doing some cheap stuff? Every other post on this thread brings it up.

DenButsu
05-05-2009, 12:30 PM
this thread is ridiculous. and you guys think laker fans are bad? It wasn't even intentional. Hilarious that you guys are attacking Kobe but no one cares about Rondo's countless d-bag moves in the Chicago series

I care about Rondo's, which should clearly have been a suspension, and I care about Kobe's, which clearly is a flagrant as it was an elbow in the head:

(3) A flagrant foul where unnecessary and/or excessive contact occurs
EXCEPTION: Rule 12A--Section V--l(5)
l. A player, coach or trainer must be ejected for:
(1) A punching foul
(2) A fighting foul
(3) An elbow foul which makes contact above shoulder level
(4) An attempted punch which does not make contact
(5) Deliberately entering the stands other than as a continuance of play
m. Eye guarding (placing a hand in front of the opponent's eyes when guard-ing from the rear) a player who does not have possession of the ball is illegal and an unsportsmanlike technical shall be assessed.
n. A free throw attempt is awarded when one technical foul is assessed.
o. No free throw attempts are awarded when a double technical foul is assessed. Technical fouls assessed to opposing teams during the same dead ball and prior to the administering of any free throw attempt for the first technical foul, shall be interpreted as a double technical foul.
p. The deliberate act of throwing the ball or any object at an official by a player, coach or trainer is a technical foul and violators are subject to ejection from the game.
q. Elbow fouls, which make contact above shoulder level, and punching fouls, although recorded as both personal and team fouls, are unsportsmanlike acts. The player will be ejected immediately. nba.com (http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_12.html?nav=ArticleList)

As Kobe's foul was a definitely unnecessary (and arguably excessive) elbow foul above the shoulder level, it is clearly a flagrant which should have resulted in an immediate ejection, but as it was not called that way, should probably result in a one game suspension, or at least in a flagrant 2 with a heavy fine.

Sorry Kobe apologists, but that's just the rules. K-Mart paid his price. So did Dwight. Kobe should, too. And the fact that Rondo also should have but didn't doesn't absolve Kobe from getting what's coming to him. Although, unfortunately, his star status probably will. Life on Stern's nutsack - must be nice. :cool:

The Ooh Child
05-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I think it is a personal foul and nothing more.

what54!?
05-05-2009, 12:33 PM
meh if rondo didn't get suspended, kobe won't.

colinskik
05-05-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't think you can compare the elbow my HOward and Kobe's supposed elbow. When you're on the floor in a scrum you can't expect a foul to get called. And if it does, you definitely can't expect a flagrant. It's pretty much every man for himself in that situation.

I love how one Boston fan is crying that Kobe should be suspended but he probably defended Rondo to the death. I still can't believe that bug-faced hack didn't get at least suspended for one game given the variety of illegal moves he was showcasing.

DenButsu
05-05-2009, 12:42 PM
When you're on the floor in a scrum you can't expect a foul to get called. And if it does, you definitely can't expect a flagrant. It's pretty much every man for himself in that situation.

Sorry, but I think that's a pretty bogus argument. The rules don't suddenly get lifted when players hit the floor. An elbow to the head on the ground or an elbow to the head standing up, at the end of the day it's still an elbow to the head.

The rules are clear. It's an unsportsmanlike flagrant foul that should have resulted in an immediate ejection.

colinskik
05-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Sorry, but I think that's a pretty bogus argument. The rules don't suddenly get lifted when players hit the floor. An elbow to the head on the ground or an elbow to the head standing up, at the end of the day it's still an elbow to the head.

The rules are clear. It's an unsportsmanlike flagrant foul that should have resulted in an immediate ejection.
I didn't see it live, and I still haven't taken a real close look at it, but generally fouls are not called when players go to the ground. I assume you watch basketball so you should know this. A player falls on top of another player on the ground and that's not a foul, but you grab/hug a player while standing and it's a foul. Am I wrong?

colinskik
05-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Also, the rules you highlighted above about making contact above the head -- that's when a player is standing up. Those parameters don't make sense when a players is horizontal.

PHX-SOXFAN
05-05-2009, 12:50 PM
this is the same guy who sat twice because he couldn't stop flailing his arms and smacking guys in the face. It's the same pattern occuring again. I hope stu jackson addresses it.

DenButsu
05-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Also, the rules you highlighted above about making contact above the head -- that's when a player is standing up. Those parameters don't make sense when a players is horizontal.

"Above" shoulder level isn't limited to the vertical, man. :eyebrow:

It means "in the head or neck", but pretty much in the head.

And you said yourself you hadn't seen it? Just look at the top post where a gif is replaying it for your viewing convenience. It's absolutely intentional, unnecessary, and a flagrant foul. And yes, rules still apply when players are on the ground. Especially rules about excessive contact such as this.

Jay22Redd
05-05-2009, 12:59 PM
This thread is unnecessary...kobe got called for a foul, now move on. Too many complaints.

bahama0811
05-05-2009, 01:03 PM
It's Kobe, he won't get suspended. They should review it and it should probably be a flagrant not unlike what happened to K-Mart.

colinskik
05-05-2009, 01:11 PM
"Above" shoulder level isn't limited to the vertical, man. :eyebrow:

It means "in the head or neck", but pretty much in the head.

And you said yourself you hadn't seen it? Just look at the top post where a gif is replaying it for your viewing convenience. It's absolutely intentional, unnecessary, and a flagrant foul. And yes, rules still apply when players are on the ground. Especially rules about excessive contact such as this.
Just looked at it again. My opinion hasn't changed.

And when a person is horizontal, then their head is not ABOVE their shoulders. When standing, in order to hit in the head it has to be done purposefully because it's an area that can't be accidentally hit as easily. When horizontal, the head is just as easy to hit as the torso, legs, etc. ... PLus, I'm convinced those rules are meant for regular play scenarios, not scrums where it has been proven over the years refs would rather call jump ball then a foul.

sep11ie
05-05-2009, 01:19 PM

Really, :confused::confused::eyebrow:

OK

Method28
05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
He should be banned from the league for this play!!! lol geez guys....what happened to the toughness of the NBA?!?! Let em' play already!!!

DenButsu
05-05-2009, 01:38 PM

And when a person is horizontal, then their head is not ABOVE their shoulders. When standing, in order to hit in the head it has to be done purposefully because it's an area that can't be accidentally hit as easily. When horizontal, the head is just as easy to hit as the torso, legs, etc. ... PLus, I'm convinced those rules are meant for regular play scenarios, not scrums where it has been proven over the years refs would rather call jump ball then a foul.

So it's literally a matter of up and down to you? So you think that "above" the shoulders being specifically targeted as an area of flagrant fouls has nothing to do with the potential severity of serious head injuries?

Uh, okaaaayyy.... :rolleyes:

SlowMo
05-05-2009, 02:01 PM
He should be banned from the league for this play!!! lol geez guys....what happened to the toughness of the NBA?!?! Let em' play already!!!

The only problem with this, is that Kobe gets free throws if he barely gets bumped on a drive to the hoop. But he's allowed to land an elbow in the back of a guys head cause he just stole the ball?

If you let em play, make in game calls more even and less star-favoring. But still control the players after the play is over. The foul had alread been called, then as Kobe gets up he pops Battier in the head with his elbow... BS play. Kobe may be a great player, but he loses his head when he's having an off night.

superkegger
05-05-2009, 02:08 PM
He should be thrown out of the NBA. It was the most egregious act I have ever seen. Absolutely horrific.

still1ballin
05-05-2009, 02:12 PM
It is the playoffs.

madiaz3
05-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Of course it wasn't suspension worthy... you are a lakers fan. These questions should be ONLY answered by unbiased fans. For example, I did not care either way regarding the Rondo foul on Brad Miller, but I think it should have been a flagrant.

I did not see the kobe play... but from the replay, it DEFINITELY should be reviewed.

It wasn't suspension worthy on the grounds that neither of Rondo's were suspension worthy as seen by the league.

madiaz3
05-05-2009, 02:52 PM

He shot 14/31 which is above 45%. lol

Tragedy
05-05-2009, 03:23 PM
It is the playoffs.
But it's not the WWE.

still1ballin
05-05-2009, 03:27 PM
But it's not the WWE.

Tell that to Rondo then:rolleyes:

Raidaz4Life
05-05-2009, 03:33 PM
hardly its almost impossible to tell if anything was intention or a result of them being tangled up

Its not like he threw the guy into a table or anything:rolleyes:

superkegger
05-05-2009, 03:37 PM
He was clearly trying to break Shane's neck. Kobe is the dirtiest player ever, and this was an absolutely absurd play. He should be tossed from the rest of the series, it would only be fair. How anyone can even think it was anything but malicious and dirty and the typical jerk off move by kobe is beyond me.

Vinny642
05-05-2009, 03:39 PM
The play were he kneed Battier when Battier was on the ground?
Not suspension worthy but should of got a tech.

tmacsc2
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM

The award for biggest biast opinion on the topic goes to you!!!!!:clap::D

sciferguy
05-05-2009, 04:04 PM
it should have been a flagrant. i seen the game and he meant it all the way...i'd be pissed to if someone was shutting me down...but he should have been called for it..if it was the other way around..the lakers would be lobbying today to get battier suspended

IndiansFan337
05-05-2009, 04:12 PM
it should have been a flagrant. i seen the game and he meant it all the way...i'd be pissed to if someone was shutting me down...but he should have been called for it..if it was the other way around..the lakers would be lobbying today to get battier suspended

I don't doubt that one bit. You've got to support your team though, and have your teammates back. If you don't do that then you chemistry won't be great. And it's hard to win when you lack great chemistry, regardless of talent level. That is why LAL didn't win the Finals when they had 4 HOF'ers & Phil back in 2004. The chemistry simply wasn't at the level of the Pistons.

astrosmaniac
05-05-2009, 04:20 PM
the knee wasn't intentional, but the elbow to the back of the head was. i saw that and i was like "hold up, where's the tech." kobe was getting up and as he went to leave, his elbow came down to the level of battier's head. if dwight got suspended, kobe should be too. rondo should have also been suspended for his plays in the boston series

rabueed
05-05-2009, 04:29 PM
anybody that says a Laker fan's opinion shouldn't be heard because it's biased is ********. all the opinions are biased because the Lakers are the most hated team in the NBA. And if you truly are neutral, you had a player on your team with a recent hard foul and their results determine the opinion they have on this situation.

Big Game Son
05-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I want Kobe doin all this attacking people. The more he does it...the more he proves to me that he cant win a championship and my Cavs prediction will be successful. Poor leadership and poor game last night Kobe. Stop giving the haters a reason to hate and MAN UP!

Vinny642
05-05-2009, 04:42 PM
anybody that says a Laker fan's opinion shouldn't be heard because it's biased is ********. all the opinions are biased because the Lakers are the most hated team in the NBA. And if you truly are neutral, you had a player on your team with a recent hard foul and their results determine the opinion they have on this situation.

It is ******** but my opinion isn't biased, West took down Mike Miller during the regular season and was suspended one game. I agreed with it, but others felt it should have been more games. this Kobe incident was bad in game since the ref didn't call anything but saying this is the playoffs is ******** too, because it was a frustration dirty hit because Battier stole it. i was quite disappointed when no technical was called.

LakeShowRaider
05-05-2009, 04:52 PM
what the **** are you guys talking about cheap shot?? I came in here thinking it was a typo and you meant Sasha. That "shot" was nothing. Refs didnt even bother to intervene.

Get off the Hatorade folks

TragicallyHip
05-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Just Kobe being Kobe

BTownTeamsRKing
05-05-2009, 05:01 PM
no suspensions in playoffs. i think suspensions in playoffs is the worst idea.

who gets suspended from the Super Bowl? no one.

Who gets suspended from the WS? no one.

why do they do it in basketball? no idea.

Chronz
05-05-2009, 05:03 PM
So it's literally a matter of up and down to you? So you think that "above" the shoulders being specifically targeted as an area of flagrant fouls has nothing to do with the potential severity of serious head injuries?

Uh, okaaaayyy.... :rolleyes:

LOL Dude has a point, when your on the ground your head isnt above your shoulders anymore. Its perpendicular with the floor and therefore up for grabs

Seriously though what irks me the most is that it was done to Battier, easily the most likable cat in the NBA. I dont care what happens to a bigman like Brad Miller when a small sucker punches him with the game on the line, but when players play the same position and are going to be on eachother the entire game and hes getting roughed up just for the sake of sending a message..... its just unbearable. Then came the bloody face (Look at the blow he takes, not even a flinch from Battier, just gets up realizes hes bleeding and tries to make sure the Refs notice hes not just trying to match his jersey), I just felt bad for him, Battier does his job and lets the wins do the talking. Its like as if Kobe knew he was going to struggle in this game so he took it out on Battier early.

JJ81
05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
It was no cheap shot. This is the PLAYOFFS... man up or GTFO.

Chronz
05-05-2009, 05:08 PM
what the **** are you guys talking about cheap shot?? I came in here thinking it was a typo and you meant Sasha. That "shot" was nothing. Refs didnt even bother to intervene.

Get off the Hatorade folks

Theres nothing to intervene when the man getting the cheap shot is Battier. A lesser man like say Ron Artest in his heydey wouldve gotten up and started swinging. The refs wouldve intervened then, but with Battier everyone knows Kobe is pummeling him, you can see it in the Rockets faces, but instead of starting a scene Battier gets up and quickly runs away. CLASS ACT

Chronz
05-05-2009, 05:09 PM
It was no cheap shot. This is the PLAYOFFS... man up or GTFO.

In that case I hope Artest brings a shank with him next time.

Chronz
05-05-2009, 05:11 PM
He shot 14/31 which is above 45%. lol
I dont have the stats with me but what was his 3pt%, his fg/fta ratio, what was his turnover count. From watching the game I got the idea that he wasnt efficient. Measuring a players efficiency isnt as simple as FG%

superkegger
05-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I dont have the stats with me but what was his 3pt%, his fg/fta ratio, what was his turnover count. From watching the game I got the idea that he wasnt efficient. Measuring a players efficiency isnt as simple as FG%

He took 7 threes, made one. Which is horrible. He only took 5 FT's. And only turned it over twice.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 05:21 PM

Rondo? Rondo did much, much worse. Not to mention that at one angle, it looks like a definite accident. Kobe is bringing himself up and at the same time Battier looks up and brings himself up and Kobe's elbow connects. Much worse have happened in piles to myself in games where there were no foul called. Sometimes when you are trying to bring yourself up, your balance isn't completely there. The combination of Kobe not being in a good balancing position and Battier himself coming up into Kobe's chest caused there to be an elbow to the head.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
In that case I hope Artest brings a shank with him next time.

That's a little extreme.

king4day
05-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Kobe's elbow to Battier's face as he's getting up off him.

Got it thanks.
Now that I see it, while it does look like he's laying down an elbow, I don't think, with those two angles, one can prove he did it on purpose. There are a couple of guys near him that he could have been bumped by or something.

I have to watch it 6 or 700 more times to get a better idea.

IndyRealist
05-05-2009, 05:32 PM

The UFC bans knees to a person's head when they're down on the ground, because they can cause permanent neck injuries. If the UFC bans it, why should it be acceptable in the NBA?

The knee could be called accidental. The elbow was clearly intentional. There was no reason Kobe had to push down with his elbow on Shane Battier's head. He clearly has his feet under him and leans his bodyweight forward simply to try to injure Battier. Flagrant 2, automatic ejection. The action was pretty quick though, and if the ref was even slightly out of place or moved to intercept another player rushing in, he would have missed it.

Having said that, I'm glad they didn't call it. This way the Lakers can't say they lost the game because Kobe got ejected. They just flat out lost.

Verbal Christ
05-05-2009, 05:33 PM
god forbid anything like that ever happen to any laker player or even worse kobe himself!! the rabid outcry on this site would be enough to lock up the servers. kobe is used to having his way on the court, last night he couldnt get it going early and it showed, that was a cheap, frustration play, and its not really that unexpected is it? kobe bryant is one hell of a basketball player, but as a person he's somewhere between douche and prick.

Afridi786
05-05-2009, 05:35 PM
kobe bryant is one hell of a basketball player, but as a person he's somewhere between douche and turd sandwich.

Fixed.

He's smart, he did that where no1 really got a good look at it.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 05:38 PM
god forbid anything like that ever happen to any laker player or even worse kobe himself!! the rabid outcry on this site would be enough to lock up the servers. kobe is used to having his way on the court, last night he couldnt get it going early and it showed, that was a cheap, frustration play, and its not really that unexpected is it? kobe bryant is one hell of a basketball player, but as a person he's somewhere between douche and prick.

Ignorance is a funny thing. I remember just a few years ago when Kobe got continually suspended for his "unnatural" basketball shooting form. Kobe was the first player to get a suspension for it and was forced to change his form. Some people did their research and found tons of tape showing many, many players exhibiting the same shooting form...of course, they were not suspended while Kobe was suspended. Brush up on your NBA history before you accuse Kobe of always having his way on the court. :eyebrow:

Truth
05-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Rockets won the game... enjoy it instead of nagging for a suspension. It's harder to establish intent on this play because they were both trying to get up and Kobe was on one leg. He could have easily slipped and the arm more than the elbow actually caught Battier's head. Or he could have done it intentionally? it's hard to call, but it's not clear as daylight in the case of Rondo and D.Howard. You can't suspend a player for that.

Chronz
05-05-2009, 05:41 PM

Ive finally found a post of yours that I can agree on, WTF is this feeling?

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Fixed.

He's smart, he did that where no1 really got a good look at it.

Right. Because Kobe knows and memorizes the placement of each and every camera inside Staples Center and other arenas.

LOL @ people talking about Kobe bring a douche when they have never even met the guy. :laugh2:

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 05:43 PM

So we're going to ignore the whole "unnatural" basketball shooting motion accusations? OK I guess....

Verbal Christ
05-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Ignorance is a funny thing. I remember just a few years ago when Kobe got continually suspended for his "unnatural" basketball shooting form. Kobe was the first player to get a suspension for it and was forced to change his form. Some people did their research and found tons of tape showing many, many players exhibiting the same shooting form...of course, they were not suspended while Kobe was suspended. Brush up on your NBA history before you accuse Kobe of always having his way on the court. :eyebrow:

what exactly does that have to do with kobe kneeing and elbowing shane battier in a cheap,and obviously frustrated fashion? why must all lakers fans reach so far to somehow make an easily and highly visible cheap shot, into somehow being part of the game. float around the subject as much as you want, the videotape doesnt lie, i bet he would NEVER ... EVER EVER EVER try that **** with Ron, why? because kobe only tries that crap with the 'nice guys' of the league. where is chris childs when you need him? LOL

Verbal Christ
05-05-2009, 05:47 PM

battle lines have been drawn, i know who's who. (still dont like your views on mac, but you are a smart guy regardless)

Verbal Christ
05-05-2009, 05:48 PM
isnt this 'Charmin' guy the same guy who was shedding tears about the 'out of bounds' play that somehow cost the lakers the game? yea, ooookay.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 05:49 PM
what exactly does that have to do with kobe kneeing and elbowing shane battier in a cheap,and obviously frustrated fashion? why must all lakers fans reach so far to somehow make an easily and highly visible cheap shot, into somehow being part of the game. float around the subject as much as you want, the videotape doesnt lie, i bet he would NEVER ... EVER EVER EVER try that **** with Ron, why? because kobe only tries that crap with the 'nice guys' of the league. where is chris childs when you need him? LOL

You said Kobe gets away with everything on the court and I cited incidents where Kobe was punished by the NBA for doing things on the court that were actually common. Why was Kobe the only one punished? I don't know. Maybe he doesn't get away with everything on the court...

Chronz

Ouch ....... but I dont remember his slaps to the face being as blatant as this was. To me its clear, if the knee was unintentional then the elbow wasnt, did he really need prop himself up on Battiers head? Ive tripped like that before without completely clobbering the guy who fell with me. I understand it, you get mad sometimes but its way too early for that IMO, though I respect that Kobe has to find a mental edge somehow. I said before the series started, it be interesting to see if Kobe has what it takes to beat the Rockets playing like this. Rockets gameplan is to make Kobe beat them, anyways Ive gotten completely off topic, as for Kobes prior suspensions, I think they know Kobe's done it before, but the intent may have been in question. Sometimes I see Kobe play and I get the feeling that hes knows when hes being a sadistic bastard. And Kobe slapping 2 players in a sequence of what 1 road trip I think it was, does cast doubt.

Testaverde16
i don't know how i didnt see this play... is there a video anywhere?

Rox07
05-05-2009, 05:50 PM
So we're going to ignore the whole "unnatural" basketball shooting motion accusations? OK I guess....

What does the unnatural basketball shooting motion have to do with kobe taking a cheap shot at battier. Are you trying to show that he doesn't always get his way...? well if thats what your going at then ok your right... but back on topic. Kobe deserved to get a tech for that and the league should definitely fine him also. Just recently Howard got suspended for throwing an elbow so if Stern were to follow the rules than kobe should also be suspended but that won't happen. If anything he may get fined but idk if that will happen either.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Ouch ....... but I dont remember his slaps to the face being as blatant as this was. To me its clear, if the knee was unintentional then the elbow wasnt, did he really need prop himself up on Battiers head? Ive tripped like that before without completely clobbering the guy who fell with me. I understand it, you get mad sometimes but its way too early for that IMO, though I respect that Kobe has to find a mental edge somehow. I said before the series started, it be interesting to see if Kobe has what it takes to beat the Rockets playing like this. Rockets gameplan is to make Kobe beat them, anyways Ive gotten completely off topic, as for Kobes prior suspensions, I think they know Kobe's done it before, but the intent may have been in question. Sometimes I see Kobe play and I get the feeling that hes knows when hes being a sadistic bastard.

Those suspensions were because of his shooting motion. The NBA deemed his shooting motion as unnatural when, in fact, many NBA players have used the same shooting motion and continue to use it.

Many are claiming Kobe gets away with anything and everything. Why was he punished so unfairly before? This looked like it could have been an accident. Battier was coming upwards while Kobe was on top of him. I don't see anyone claiming Battier was trying to throw Kobe over (which could be claimed...). Anyways, I would like to see an explanation.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 05:54 PM
What does the unnatural basketball shooting motion have to do with kobe taking a cheap shot at battier. Are you trying to show that he doesn't always get his way...? well if thats what your going at then ok your right... but back on topic. Kobe deserved to get a tech for that and the league should definitely fine him also. Just recently Howard got suspended for throwing an elbow so if Stern were to follow the rules than kobe should also be suspended but that won't happen. If anything he may get fined but idk if that will happen either.

Yes. This is what I am trying to show as people are claiming Kobe gets away with everything because he is a superstar.

Howard threw an elbow viciously and maliciously. It was clear cut and no questions asked. He did it on purpose. Kobe's elbow can be interpreted in many different ways and it can definitely be seen as an accident. No way a a questionable hit like that could cause a suspension.

Chronz
05-05-2009, 05:55 PM
You said Kobe gets away with everything on the court and I cited incidents where Kobe was punished by the NBA for doing things on the court that were actually common. Why was Kobe the only one punished? I don't know. Maybe he doesn't get away with everything on the court...
Ok so hes not their golden child, we get that. Thats not what VC was getting at, at all. Hes never said Kobes never been punished, he said there wouldve been a massive outcry from the fans if he did. Which is true, could you imagine all the excuses had Kobe been ejected? Then he said Kobe is used to having his way on the court, when he couldnt then he got frustrated. Its true, Kobe was what like 3-10 at that point.

IndyRealist
05-05-2009, 05:56 PM
i don't know how i didnt see this play... is there a video anywhere?

First page of the thread, 6th post.

IndyRealist
05-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Yes. This is what I am trying to show as people are claiming Kobe gets away with everything because he is a superstar.

Howard threw an elbow viciously and maliciously. It was clear cut and no questions asked. He did it on purpose. Kobe's elbow can be interpreted in many different ways and it can definitely be seen as an accident. No way a a questionable hit like that could cause a suspension.

You err on the side of caution to prevent injuries. If a player does something questionable, you call him on it. You don't wait until a brawl breaks out.

Verbal Christ
05-05-2009, 05:58 PM

you're making it seem like it was an accident dude, there was clear intent in what he did. do i want him suspended? no way, i just want the real laker fan to admit that shane threw kobe off his game (momentarily i mean he did score like 30 points didnt he?) and he was frustrated, its okay, you do know kobe is human right? made of skin and bone and breathes the same air as you and I ... right? i dont feel it calls for suspension, but merely trying to point out that it was a pussie play, by a guy who is regarded as the best thing since sliced bread. if you have kids, would you teach them to do what kobe did?

soundjunkies2
05-05-2009, 05:59 PM
lol suspension?no

it wasn't even close to a suspension

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Alright. I just watched it 20 times in a row on Youtube.

Kobe CLEARLY loses his balance. His right leg slips and he pushes his left leg forward to gain balance and his body goes forward accordingly. The only reason I said questionable is because I hadn't reviewed the video yet. :laugh2: LMAO. Why does this thread even exist?

Check it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxGoMAMuDUQ)

Haha.

Rox07
05-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Well Kobe has been a pretty classy guy for the last few years, but I guess players that play good D frustrate him and the bad part is that he lets them know they are getting to his head by letting his frustrations out on them. If anything it shows weakness.

Rox07
05-05-2009, 06:03 PM

Kobe CLEARLY loses his balance. His right leg slips and he pushes his left leg forward to gain balance and his body goes forward accordingly. The only reason I said questionable is because I hadn't reviewed the video yet. :laugh2: LMAO. Why does this thread even exist?

Haha.

I have no idea what you are trying to say...

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 06:03 PM
you're making it seem like it was an accident dude, there was clear intent in what he did. do i want him suspended? no way, i just want the real laker fan to admit that shane threw kobe off his game (momentarily i mean he did score like 30 points didnt he?) and he was frustrated, its okay, you do know kobe is human right? made of skin and bone and breathes the same air as you and I ... right? i dont feel it calls for suspension, but merely trying to point out that it was a pussie play, by a guy who is regarded as the best thing since sliced bread. if you have kids, would you teach them to do what kobe did?

Watch it again without being bias and just viewing body movements. Kobe clearly loses his balance (watch the legs).

grega1976
05-05-2009, 06:04 PM
I didn't see it live, and I still haven't taken a real close look at it, but generally fouls are not called when players go to the ground. I assume you watch basketball so you should know this. A player falls on top of another player on the ground and that's not a foul, but you grab/hug a player while standing and it's a foul. Am I wrong?

If you didn't see it or look at it why are you commenting? and it doesn't matter if the person is standing or on the ground the rule is meant to say that contact to the face or head is not to be tollerated... the foul wasn't that kobe fell on him it was that he elbowed battier in the head when he tried to get up... as for suspension I am a Rockets fan through and through and I HATE KOBE AND THE LAKERS with a passion... that being said I don't want a suspension... I want the Lakers to be at full strength when we take this series... I don't want LAKER FANBOY to have any excuse!!! It is very funny to me though that Laker fanboy was yelling over and over again last night about the refs giving Houston the game, especially when Kobe elbows a guy in the head and doesn't even get T'd up...

Verbal Christ
05-05-2009, 06:04 PM
this guy has the worst case of yellow and purple tunnel vision i've ever encountered. to each his own. so AFTER shane steals the ball, does kobe 'slip' ontop of him, and grind his elbow into his head. c'mon dude.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 06:05 PM
I have no idea what you are trying to say...

He lost his balance. Here is a very good explanation.

Watch his back right leg when he is getting up, it clearly loses balance to cause his falling movement. If he was throwing an intentional elbow, his whole body would not fall and lower like that, only his arm/elbow would drop. His back leg twitches/double clutches twice, showing he lost his footing and balance.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 06:06 PM
^^ ditto this guy has the worst case of yellow and purple tunnel vision i've ever encountered. to each his own.

:bang: Watch the youtube video. It cannot get any clearer than that. If you think Kobe losing his balance and falling over was all part of his act then Kobe is literally the greatest actor of all time. Not even Jack Nicholson, with time and preparation, could pull it off like that.

Rox07
05-05-2009, 06:07 PM

nvm i got it. I got confused when you said questionable but you were referring to an earlier post. All I know is that regardless of whether it was an accident or not he did not need to throw the elbow at the end. If battier woulda some noise kobe woulda gotten a tech, but battier is a warrior and just laughed it off.

Chronz
05-05-2009, 06:08 PM

Haha.

Watch the body language on what happens when the camera pans out, the exchange amongst the players. Everyone on the floor knew what Kobe was doing, they were just waiting to see how Battier reacted to it. He jumped out and said Im fine or something to that effect. Kobe was sending a message, its just a matter of whether it was dirty or not. Im on the fence.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 06:10 PM
nvm i got it. I got confused when you said questionable but you were referring to an earlier post. All I know is that regardless of whether it was an accident or not he did not need to throw the elbow at the end. If battier woulda some noise kobe woulda gotten a tech, but battier is a warrior and just laughed it off.

He did. He lost his balance and was trying to gain it (like any normal human being) by trying to find something to gain leverage on. That "something" was Shane Battier.

I swear, some people on this site have never done anything physical or have never played sports before in their lives. :laugh2:

Like I said, watch that angle. Explanation again:

Watch his back right leg when he is getting up, it clearly loses balance to cause his falling movement. If he was throwing an intentional elbow, his whole body would not fall and lower like that, only his arm/elbow would drop. His back leg twitches/double clutches twice, showing he lost his footing and balance.

Chronz
05-05-2009, 06:10 PM

Here in lies your problem, when one is throwing an intentional elbow, how does one not get in trouble for it, afterall we arent saying Kobe is stupid enough to act out in pure emotion like that, hes more cerebral than that, that would be an Artest brute mode of 04. But to get away with it you make it look unintentional. Usually when people trip, they want to soften the blow so they dont hit the ground hard on any one point of your body, Kobes kneejerk/twitch reactions are the only ones he could use to effectively hit Shane on the head. He could make it look semi natural sure, but your kidding yourself if you think Kobe didnt do it on purpose.

If that were Vince Carter falling on top of Battier, he wouldve hugged him all the way down. Kobe doesnt need to move towards Shane to get up.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Watch the body language on what happens when the camera pans out, the exchange amongst the players. Everyone on the floor knew what Kobe was doing, they were just waiting to see how Battier reacted to it. He jumped out and said Im fine or something to that effect. Kobe was sending a message, its just a matter of whether it was dirty or not. Im on the fence.

Battier started the exchange because he felt he was hit...and I don't blame him.

Study any natural body movements and it is CRYSTAL CLEAR that Kobe lost his balance. Natural body movements (objective)>>>>>>>>>>>Body language (subjective)

We can move on now. :smoking:

GAWDtv
05-05-2009, 06:13 PM

R U SERIOUS, accidentally jumped on his back, pinned him to the floor and elbowed him in the BACK of the head?
That is Vintage Kobe. He is that kind of player, cheap shots are in his history, PRESENT and I'm sure future.

P.S. Kobe will try to claim his retirement this summer (publicity and emotional stunt) after loosing in the secound round to HOUSTON BABY and knowing his L MVP days are over with the King on his throne (Plus the likes of BRoy, Rose, Wade, Durant {with better games} etc. exposing his many flaws)

All those who compared Kobe to MJ owes the G.O.A.T. a HUGE appology (go ahead from your mouth to GAWDS ears!!). MJ would never show fear by physically attacking his defender. Like a wolf I saw his fear and I'm sure Ron Ron saw it and pointed it out to his squad. That was a cowardly act and how can you compare a coward to the G.O.A.T.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Here in lies your problem, when one is throwing an intentional elbow, how does one not get in trouble for it, afterall we arent saying Kobe is stupid enough to act out in pure emotion like that, hes more cerebral than that, that would be an Artest brute mode of 04. But to get away with it you make it look unintentional.

Here in lies your problem, the elbow wasn't intentional. He is trying to gain balance. What Kobe did after he lost balance falls in line with everything I ever learned about natural bodily movements.

astrosmaniac
05-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Those suspensions were because of his shooting motion. The NBA deemed his shooting motion as unnatural when, in fact, many NBA players have used the same shooting motion and continue to use it.

the suspensions weren't because he shot a certain way, they were because in like 2 out of 3 games it resulted in him delivering 2 injuries to the faces of opposing players.

soundjunkies2
05-05-2009, 06:18 PM
R U SERIOUS, accidentally jumped on his back, pinned him to the floor and elbowed him in the BACK of the head?
That is Vintage Kobe. He is that kind of player, cheap shots are in his history, PRESENT and I'm sure future.

P.S. Kobe will try to claim his retirement this summer (publicity and emotional stunt) after loosing in the secound round to HOUSTON BABY and knowing his L MVP days are over with the King on his throne (Plus the likes of BRoy, Rose, Wade, Durant {with better games} etc. exposing his many flaws)

All those who compared Kobe to MJ owes the G.O.A.T. a HUGE appology (go ahead from your mouth to GAWDS ears!!). MJ would never show fear by physically attacking his defender. Like a wolf I saw his fear and I'm sure Ron Ron saw it and pointed it out to his squad. That was a cowardly act and how can you compare a coward to the G.O.A.T.

You sure of that?Doug Collins, who coached jordan said he used to do the same thing to try and get himself going when he needed a boost.

Thatruth32
05-05-2009, 06:21 PM

couldnt have said it better .. i laughed and said im kobe get off me son... so i would think the real kobe would have said something similiar.

GAWDtv
05-05-2009, 06:21 PM
NO, MJ would try to beat his defender with his skills. The tougher the defender the better MJ got and would love the competition, no ttry to knock the guy out in the first quarter of the first game of a playoff series.

htownsfavorite
05-05-2009, 06:23 PM
its plain and easy to see that kobe knee-ed him on purpose and followed it up by putting his elbow in battiers head. kobe has a dirty side to him, think back to a couple years ago when he was hitting players in the face when he would pretend like he was being fouled on his jump shot. he definately deserves atleast a fine, dwight howard was suspended for a elbow and kobe pulled off two wrestling moves on battier. now if battier pulls a bruce bowen and slides his foot under kobe's when he takes a jump shot and hurts kobe's ankle they would be quick to fine battier. but what goes around comes around.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
the suspensions weren't because he shot a certain way, they were because in like 2 out of 3 games it resulted in him delivering 2 injuries to the faces of opposing players.

Yes they were. Kobe's shooting motion was deemed unnatural by Stu Jackson. Basically Kobe shot the ball and his arms came down and hit players to the side of him (barely in his view in the first place). It was clearly an accident and this same thing has happened many times. Kobe is the one and only player to ever receive a suspension for it and to also be accused of having a shooting motion that was unnatural.

soundjunkies2
05-05-2009, 06:28 PM
NO, MJ would try to beat his defender with his skills. The tougher the defender the better MJ got and would love the competition, no ttry to knock the guy out in the first quarter of the first game of a playoff series.

Doug collins himself said jordan would do the same thing.He coached for like 3 years im pretty sure he knows what hes talking about.He isn't talking about of is ***.And where did kobe try to knock him out?I guess i missed that part.

Thatruth32
05-05-2009, 06:32 PM
come on its playoff basketball... u guys are acting like he alberty haysnworth'd shane... and im not even a laker fan im from nor cal so dont get it twisted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5nlEA8BUTQ

philab
05-05-2009, 06:33 PM
This is definitely not suspension worthy.

Whatever Kobe did or tried to do was unnatural, unnecessary, and bordering on "bush league," but that's about as far as I'd go. Definitely no suspension warranted and really no fine, technical, or anything either.

Draco
05-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Doug collins himself said jordan would do the same thing.He coached for like 3 years im pretty sure he knows what hes talking about.He isn't talking about of is ***.And where did kobe try to knock him out?I guess i missed that part.

Doug Collins doesn't have an advantage of knowing whether Jordan would do the same thing simply because he coached him for 3 years.. I've seen Jordan play most of his career and I've never seen him give a cheap shot while another player was down for purpose of getting motivated.. which is what Collins suggested. That's pure BS.

beans439
05-05-2009, 06:37 PM
it wasnt the knee, he elbowed him in the head... rondos play was within a game and kmart hip-checked dirk... kobes play is more comparable to dwight howards elbow... personally i dont think he should be suspended cause stern has pussified the league enough already, but i wouldnt be surprised if he did...

haha, yeah he hip checked him with his forearm. makes sense:rolleyes:

WSU Tony
05-05-2009, 06:47 PM
This is definitely not suspension worthy.

Whatever Kobe did or tried to do was unnatural, unnecessary, and bordering on "bush league," but that's about as far as I'd go. Definitely no suspension warranted and really no fine, technical, or anything either.

If I did the same exact thing Kobe did to you, would you feel like you "owe" me something? If yes, it deserves a suspension.

Why do you feel stars can have different treatment than the average NBA player? Do the rich have special rights?

astrosmaniac
05-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Yes they were. Kobe's shooting motion was deemed unnatural by Stu Jackson. Basically Kobe shot the ball and his arms came down and hit players to the side of him (barely in his view in the first place). It was clearly an accident and this same thing has happened many times. Kobe is the one and only player to ever receive a suspension for it and to also be accused of having a shooting motion that was unnatural.

because the motion resulted in 2 separate instances in a span of 3 games where defending players received an injury to the face. you makje it sound like the league said, your shot is wierd, change it. if his motion hadn't injured anyone then nothing would have happened

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 06:54 PM
If I did the same exact thing Kobe did to you, would you feel like you "owe" me something? If yes, it deserves a suspension.

Why do you feel stars can have different treatment than the average NBA player? Do the rich have special rights?

They don't. Kobe hasn't gotten preferential treatment and doesn't think he gets it (remember the "witch hunt" incident?). Kobe clearly lost his balance. Watch the video and the explanations. Anybody with any learning of natural boy movements would know that what Kobe did was text-book losing your balance...

BTW--Why do I feel like I'm the only person who knows NBA history? :laugh2: The continuous inaccurate posts are really annoying.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 06:56 PM
because the motion resulted in 2 separate instances in a span of 3 games where defending players received an injury to the face. you makje it sound like the league said, your shot is wierd, change it. if his motion hadn't injured anyone then nothing would have happened

Nobody got injured bud. Manu cried for a few minutes and was fine (Spurs won game in OT IIRC) and Marko Jaric (was it?) was fine. Nobody was seriously injured. Actually, there have been worse injuries (broken noses) resulting from the same type of motion....

and no suspension.

philab
05-05-2009, 06:57 PM

Yeah, I'd feel like I owe you something.

Why is that the criteria for "suspension-worthy"? That really makes no sense.

Dunks over guys, brush-offs, soft shoves, lots of things accomplish that same feeling and aren't worthy of suspensions.

And I don't feel that stars should have different treatment. Where the hell did you get that from? If Sasha Vujacic did this, I'd say the same thing: unnatural, unnecessary, and bordering on "bush-league" but not suspension-worthy.

philab
05-05-2009, 07:02 PM
They don't. Kobe hasn't gotten preferential treatment and doesn't think he gets it (remember the "witch hunt" incident?). Kobe clearly lost his balance. Watch the video and the explanations. Anybody with any learning of natural boy movements would know that what Kobe did was text-book losing your balance...

BTW--Why do I feel like I'm the only person who knows NBA history? :laugh2: The continuous inaccurate posts are really annoying.

I agree that Kobe "lost his balance," but there are many ways to lose one's balance.

If that were a Laker Kobe tripped over (and not Battier), the same thing would not have happened.

It's still not suspension-worthy and hardly discussion-worthy, but you're looking at things with some rose-colored glasses to a degree.

JaySmoke
05-05-2009, 07:10 PM
kobe is like KG.. they cant fight so they cheap shot :pity:

NYtilIdie
05-05-2009, 07:12 PM
they should look at it. A fine if your not going to suspend him if somebody like Josh Powell would have done it though it would be a different story, but if they suspend Howard why wouldn't suspend Kobe?

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 07:12 PM
kobe is like KG.. they cant fight so they cheap shot :pity:

Except for the cheap shot part.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 07:14 PM
they should look at it. A fine if your not going to suspend him if somebody like Josh Powell would have done it though it would be a different story, but if they suspend Howard why wouldn't suspend Kobe?

Because what Kobe did was not on purpose and was clearly done without malicious intent. Again, read the excerpts about natural body movements and watch the clips. He loses his balance.

IndyRealist
05-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Because what Kobe did was not on purpose and was clearly done without malicious intent. Again, read the excerpts about natural body movements and watch the clips. He loses his balance.

To me he doesn't seem like he slips and loses his balance. Yes his right leg does leave the floor but it does so he can lean his weight into his elbow. That would be the "natural body movement" if your intent was to shove someone with your elbow from that position. He even shuffles his left foot forward a bit to get better balance before his right leg leaves the ground. If his right leg was unsteady he would have fallen on his butt.

Edit: Watching it yet again, the shuffle does not seem like it was to gain balance, it definitely was done to shove his knee into Battier's face. At no point in time during the knee or elbow does it look like Kobe is off balance.

philab
05-05-2009, 07:35 PM
To me he doesn't seem like he slips and loses his balance. Yes his right leg does leave the floor but it does so he can lean his weight into his elbow. That would be the "natural body movement" if your intent was to shove someone with your elbow from that position. He even shuffles his left foot forward a bit to get better balance before his right leg leaves the ground. If his right leg was unsteady he would have fallen on his butt.

It looked to me like he got the ball stripped and was going down to get it without any regard for Battier being there. At that point, he may have lost his balance a little, but again, there's losing your balance with respect for the person underneath you and losing your balance without such respect.

If an opponent trips me into my mortal enemy on the other team (opponent's teammate), you can bet I'm catching my fall with a hand/elbow to the enemy's face, stomach, or nuts.

If an opponent trips me into my teammate, I'm probably going head first or diving aside to avoid him and land on the floor.

braveniler58
05-05-2009, 07:35 PM
So, Kobe knees THEN elbows Battier in the head?

Wow.

Suspend his ***.

jim51990
05-05-2009, 07:36 PM
"kobes a hater" the kingdom
so true

DRE'-MAC
05-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Wasn't suspension worthy but definitely deserved a Technical foul and a fine

Chronz
05-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Here in lies your problem, the elbow wasn't intentional. He is trying to gain balance. What Kobe did after he lost balance falls in line with everything I ever learned about natural bodily movements.

I dont blame you for believing that, Kobes sly as a fox

homestarunner93
05-05-2009, 08:07 PM
He should be suspended, but he won't because of who he is.

Chronz
05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Battier started the exchange because he felt he was hit...and I don't blame him.

Study any natural body movements and it is CRYSTAL CLEAR that Kobe lost his balance. Natural body movements (objective)>>>>>>>>>>>Body language (subjective)

We can move on now. :smoking:

Battier started what exchange? He left the scene while Kobe was staring right at him.

And that was hardly natural body movements, you can fall without making your elbows jagged and far from typical body reactions when your expecting to fall, like I edited in my earlier post, you dont make your body stiff to soften a blow, you soften your landing and distribute the force of impact evenly throughout your body, still that isnt the point. You can fall any way you want, not everyone is smart enough to know that and stiffen up instead and end up breaking bones or whatnot, the point is, if he wanted to do it, this is how Kobe would go about it. By making it seem like an accident even though his body language says otherwise.

Body language is an art, you tell me what they were saying because its clear as day to me. Hardly anything subjective about these, when all your teammates are looking at you its a pretty clear indication that they are wondering what you are going to do. They all had his back, and Battier told them its all right. To them Battier got pummeled, no doubt it fueled the way they played because from start to finish they were sharp.

superkegger
05-05-2009, 08:44 PM
This is gettin ridiculous.

infamous
05-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't see a cheap shot. Maybe, idk. Kobe is just trying to get up awkwardly, hitting Battier in the process.

DenButsu
05-05-2009, 09:05 PM
This is gettin ridiculous.

I know. Why haven't they suspended him already?

tr4shb0t
05-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Lot oh Houston fans coming out of the woodwork

superkegger
05-05-2009, 09:07 PM
I know. Why haven't they suspended him already?

I don't know. He was clearly trying to paralyze Battier. Typical ******** move from Kobe. He's the dirtiest m-effer in the league. He should have been immediately ejected and thrown out of the NBA.

Corey
05-05-2009, 09:07 PM
I would expect the foul to be called a flagrant, and a 25,000 fine.

I doubt they'll give him a suspension, though I wouldn't be shocked if they did.

DenButsu
05-05-2009, 09:14 PM
I don't know. He was clearly trying to paralyze Battier. Typical ******** move from Kobe. He's the dirtiest m-effer in the league. He should have been immediately ejected and thrown out of the NBA.

No, seriously.

If this foul by Kenyon Martin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP5Ry38JM6A) gets upgraded from a T to a flagrant and K-Mart gets hit with a $25,000 fine, and what Kobe did was worse (which imo it clearly was), then where's the consistency in how the league is handing down punishments for excessive contact fouls?

And for the record, yes, Rondo should have been suspended, too.

Ironman5219
05-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Face it Kobe get specail treatment from the ref's, what would the league be like if all the games were called fair? :)

thedfactor
05-05-2009, 09:28 PM
I like Kobe and all, but that wasn't necessary. It was complete bull ****.

Shane Battier gets an intentional knee to the face for nothing but tough defense and then followed up with a forearm/elbow push to the back of the head.

He doesn't even dumb down to retaliate which shows great character on his end.

The league must at least look back at this film shot and discuss something in terms of fines, because whether it had an impact on the game or not, the action wasn't a basketball play and therefore uncalled for.

This is not sending a message by Kobe, the Lakers lost and Rockets won in LA. It was the Rockets refusing to get bullied by last year's MVP or anyone wearing Purple and Gold.

Er1c
05-05-2009, 09:31 PM
what a hater..

brendol
05-05-2009, 09:32 PM
he deserves death by the blade

superkegger
05-05-2009, 09:34 PM
No, seriously.

If this foul by Kenyon Martin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP5Ry38JM6A) gets upgraded from a T to a flagrant and K-Mart gets hit with a $25,000 fine, and what Kobe did was worse (which imo it clearly was), then where's the consistency in how the league is handing down punishments for excessive contact fouls?

And for the record, yes, Rondo should have been suspended, too.

You want my serious reply? Ok, here it is.

Kobe and Shane were battling for the ball. As we've seen many many times in the past, when the ball is on the ground, it is pretty much a free for all.

One could interpret it this way:
Kobe was on top of shane, and was trying to get up at the same time as Shane, and had Kobe no balance because of that, and while he probably was being somewhat over aggressive, there is no way to show he intentionally elbow or knee Battier.

Or this way:
Kobe was on top of Shane, and knew he could get away with a little cheap shot, and kneed and elbowed Shane because he knew there would be no reprecussions, because the NBA protects it's stars.

Believe what you want, but intentionality in this case is very hard to prove. Did Kobe take a little cheap shot, perhaps. Can you absolutely say it was on purpose? I don't think you can.

Regarding the Kmart incident, I think it was pretty darn clear, that the forearm by Kmart was given with intention. Did Dirk sell it a bit, absolutely, as does everybody in the NBA these days. But Kmart absolutely meant to deliver that elbow.

KB24PG16
05-05-2009, 09:38 PM
thats playoff basketball im not wondering if that was suspension worthy but was is this thread worthy

tr4shb0t
05-05-2009, 09:44 PM
There's nothing from the video that is obviously flagrant. We are all fans and that's why we don't make the calls. I understand why Houston fans hate Kobe...he's good. But it's not your call so stop crying and enjoy being on top for a change.

DenButsu
05-05-2009, 09:46 PM
You want my serious reply? Ok, here it is.

Kobe and Shane were battling for the ball. As we've seen many many times in the past, when the ball is on the ground, it is pretty much a free for all.

One could interpret it this way:
Kobe was on top of shane, and was trying to get up at the same time as Shane, and had Kobe no balance because of that, and while he probably was being somewhat over aggressive, there is no way to show he intentionally elbow or knee Battier.

Or this way:
Kobe was on top of Shane, and knew he could get away with a little cheap shot, and kneed and elbowed Shane because he knew there would be no reprecussions, because the NBA protects it's stars.

Believe what you want, but intentionality in this case is very hard to prove. Did Kobe take a little cheap shot, perhaps. Can you absolutely say it was on purpose? I don't think you can.

Regarding the Kmart incident, I think it was pretty darn clear, that the forearm by Kmart was given with intention. Did Dirk sell it a bit, absolutely, as does everybody in the NBA these days. But Kmart absolutely meant to deliver that elbow.

To me the deliberate and unnecessary nature of the elbow Kobe put in Battier's head is really not that debatable -- it's crystal clear that he did that on purpose. I understand that people who are Kobe fans will want to defend him, but just being real here, that elbow was thrown, it wasn't a stumble. So to me, the only point of debate in this matter should be what the punishment should be (fine or suspension?), and not whether or not it's a flagrant. The rules regarding flagrants are clear, and he clearly broke them.

Draco
05-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Josh Smith crashed into a ref in tonights Cavs/Hawks game and demonstrated that if you really wanted to get off of someone you can do it without kneeing the guy in the face or elbowing him in the head.

IMO this is was intentional.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxGoMAMuDUQ

superkegger
05-05-2009, 09:55 PM
To me the deliberate and unnecessary nature of the elbow Kobe put in Battier's head is really not that debatable -- it's crystal clear that he did that on purpose. I understand that people who are Kobe fans will want to defend him, but just being real here, that elbow was thrown, it wasn't a stumble. So to me, the only point of debate in this matter should be what the punishment should be (fine or suspension?), and not whether or not it's a flagrant. The rules regarding flagrants are clear, and he clearly broke them.

Well I disagree, I think it's very debatable.

ggg
05-05-2009, 09:55 PM
no. not suspension worthy. Battier was trying to stand up before kobe and as a result he hit his shoulder on the crotch area of kobe. kobe was just trying to make space.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 09:56 PM
I dont blame you for believing that, Kobes sly as a fox

Occams Razor. Which is the simpler explanation? Kobe is a brilliant actor and attacked Battier to precision while, all at the same time, making sure that there was no perfect angle to catch him in the act....or Kobe lost his balance.

Ummm...OK. I'll leave it to you guys to decide although I can see everybody made up their mind before they even saw the video...

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Josh Smith crashed into a ref in tonights Cavs/Hawks game and demonstrated that if you really wanted to get off of someone you can do it without kneeing the guy in the face or elbowing him in the head.

IMO this is was intentional.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxGoMAMuDUQ

Completely different. The ref wasn't trying to get up as Smith was trying to get off him. Battier and Kobe were entangled. Kobe then lost his balance and he accidentally hit him in the face.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 09:59 PM
he deserves death by the blade

:eyebrow:

Son of Prodigy
05-05-2009, 10:02 PM
this wont get to battier... artest has his back and together they will get to kobe.

MDD
05-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Kobe is a insecure fake tough guy anyway

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Kobe is a insecure fake tough guy anyway

:eyebrow:

smith&wesson
05-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Im from toronto. so my opinion is not baised. No i dont think it should have been a foul, he was clearly going after the ball, if he was trying to really knee or elbow him, battier would have been knocked out. do you guys watch ufc ? a knee and elbow with bad intentions can knock a man out. koby was not trying to hurt him. that was just a tussle,

D-Leethal
05-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I personally think Kobe was trying to start something to get him going.........he wanted Battier to react and Battier knew that, and being a smart player Battier ran down the court with a smile on his face.........perfect reaction and Kobe, although he started to get it going, never went off and dominated the game

MrBloop
05-06-2009, 01:36 PM

Play ball mtfr's!!!! How many threads on NON-ANYTHING playoff aggression are we gonna have in here this week.

Thank god I grew up in the 80's and know what happens in the playoffs. People crying in here about "fouls" and bogus "cheap shots" are merely the children of hyper protective ex-geek parents who complained to school districts about the "dangers" of dodge ball, resulting in it being eliminated from gym classes around the country.

PLAY BALL

grega1976
05-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Im from toronto. so my opinion is not baised. No i dont think it should have been a foul, he was clearly going after the ball, if he was trying to really knee or elbow him, battier would have been knocked out. do you guys watch ufc ? a knee and elbow with bad intentions can knock a man out. koby was not trying to hurt him. that was just a tussle,

you obviously didn't watch the video, the play was over... why would he be going after the ball? it was over.. he kneed him in the head and than elbowed him... it was a chickenshit play by the biggest ***** in baskeball... he has a history of it.. just revisit the elbow he threw on Raja Bell... or go on youtube and check out his awesome fighting skills.. that's the thing.. he's too much of a ***** to actually fight these guys so he cheap shots... typical *****...

IndyRealist
05-06-2009, 05:43 PM

Can, but rarely if ever from that position. But what you said begs the question, if the UFC disqualifies fighters for knees to the head on a down opponent, shouldn't it be an automatic suspension in the NBA?

Can't believe this thread is still going, btw. Lakers fans say it's not an offense, Laker haters say it is. Few teams polarize fans as much as the Lakers do.

Kakaroach
05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Should have gotten a technical or a flagrant, but not suspension worthy at all.

bogmon
05-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Jus' Kobe bein' Kobe....being a dick and an instigator 'cuz Battier was playin' him too well and pissin' him off...

I think it shows a lack of character and a lack of composure on his part....

Guess what....Shane Battier is gonna play out of his mind through the rest of this series.

Good work Kobe-ster! ;)

bogmon
05-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Play ball mtfr's!!!! How many threads on NON-ANYTHING playoff aggression are we gonna have in here this week.

Thank god I grew up in the 80's and know what happens in the playoffs. People crying in here about "fouls" and bogus "cheap shots" are merely the children of hyper protective ex-geek parents who complained to school districts about the "dangers" of dodge ball, resulting in it being eliminated from gym classes around the country.

PLAY BALL

Laugh my *** off....ha ha....

Wonder why we have obese 9 year olds with cholesterol issues?

Run fatty Run!

NotVeryOriginal
05-07-2009, 01:26 AM
Kobe gets a tech for telling Battier that he cant gaurd him, a fact.:rolleyes:

I bet Fish gets suspeded for a game when Rondo got nothing for what he did in the bulls series, and yet yuou people seem to think that the Lakers are the golden boys of the league?

Kabowdos
05-07-2009, 01:31 AM
I am laughing at all the Rockets fans that complained about the Fisher ejection.

First off, it is the playoffs, it is get F'n intense. Stuff happens. I think Fisher was trying to hit the guy, but I don't think he thought he was going to fall on his ***. It happened it is over.

Second, Rockets have Ron Artest on their team... he beat up three fans. He got thrown out as well.

Rafer, a Rocket this season... smaked Eddie House in the head.

TMac was thrown out for fighting with Kenyon Martin and in the Olympics with Caisano.

So shut up please.

Norg
05-07-2009, 01:31 AM
constent trash talking is just not classy i guess to the reffs eyes

saying it once or twice is ok but like 8 times ok we get it Kobe he cant guard U ..... battier should just say yeah i cant guard u 2 get kobe to shut up alrdy but battier is a smart player u seen that smirk on his face afte kobe got a T hes a gamer and prob knows the NBA rulez front to back

Jezeble
05-07-2009, 01:32 AM

I bet Fish gets suspeded for a game when Rondo got nothing for what he did in the bulls series, and yet yuou people seem to think that the Lakers are the golden boys of the league?

Now you know how Bulls fans felt. No consistency man. They arbitrarily decide who to punish and who to let off. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Stu Jackson was at the Laker game, so he won't need to review tape.

TmacBryant
05-07-2009, 01:33 AM
RON ARTEST should not have been ejected... but he is ********.

he used his arm to show that he was hit in the neck but it looked like he was telling kobe to die and that he was going to slit his throat.... that is why he got ejected. if he simply just pointed at his neck instead of using a knife motion.... he would have only gotten 1 technical.

good game anyways. :clap:

still1ballin
05-07-2009, 01:35 AM
I am sorry but that tech on Kobe was b/s.....This is the playoffs, there is going to be physical play and a lot of trash talking. Come on, Kobe was fired up and no one could stop him and he gets a tech because he said "You can't guard me".......come on

NYMetros
05-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Who cares about the tech?

I think everyone is more annoyed by Kobe's cheap shot on Artest in his neck, where Artest got ejected for no reason at all.

KobeIs
05-07-2009, 01:37 AM
RON ARTEST should not have been ejected... but he is ********.

he used his arm to show that he was hit in the neck but it looked like he was telling kobe to die and that he was going to slit his throat.... that is why he got ejected. if he simply just pointed at his neck instead of using a knife motion.... he would have only gotten 1 technical.

good game anyways. :clap:

lol is that what he really said?

lakerboy
05-07-2009, 01:38 AM

I think everyone is more annoyed by Kobe's cheap shot on Artest in his neck, where Artest got ejected for no reason at all.

You're crazy.

Artest ran into Kobe and tried to pick up a fight. His teammates tried to stop him and he kept trying to run back. He even did the knife motion thing around his neck.

JC_
05-07-2009, 01:38 AM

I'm pretty sure everyone here knows why Kobe got the tech. The game was getting out of hand and the refs didn't want more **** starting. There was nothing wrong with that call IMO. It was just bad timing on Kobe's part.

DerekRE_3
05-07-2009, 01:39 AM

Yep. Artest did not deserve to be thrown out at all. Not only that, he gets elbowed in the throat and the foul is called on him....sounds about right to me...

pd7631
05-07-2009, 01:39 AM

Exactly.

Artest was motioning how Kobe hit him in the throat, and I think the refs saw it as a signal like "I'm gonna slit your throat"...and I think that's why Artest was ultimately ejected, not for getting in Kobe's face.

pd7631
05-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Derek Fisher absolutely needs to be suspended...he hit sticked Scola

Rox07
05-07-2009, 01:44 AM
close...

klvanzu
05-07-2009, 01:48 AM
I don't like suspensions in the playoffs unless something is drastic, or re-occurring. I don't think Fisher should be suspended. But, the Artest ejection was BS. Kobe elbows him and he gets tossed.

madiaz3
05-07-2009, 01:50 AM
If nate robinson had knocked KG to the floor would people be calling for his ejection

(thats how i see fisher on scola)

TmacBryant
05-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Kobe deserved 1 tech
Artest deserved 1 tech

KobeIs
05-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Exactly.

Artest was motioning how Kobe hit him in the throat, and I think the refs saw it as a signal like "I'm gonna slit your throat"...and I think that's why Artest was ultimately ejected, not for getting in Kobe's face.

yea thats true. i was watching the replays on tnt and ron ron was not ejected until he did that motion.

robdizzle3
05-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Kobe was saying that the whole game,so why call it now.I understand that they aretrying to keep order but you dont call that then.Like someone said earlier in the post Rondo didnt get anything for his 3 blows in that Bulls series and I dont think Ray Allen got anything for his elbow to Varejao of the Cavs late in the season.If Fish gets suspended it would be bull

DenButsu
05-07-2009, 01:52 AM
The official fouls and officiating thread of the Lakers-Rockets series

Vijay248
05-07-2009, 01:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s24kx5ynRVQ

Rockets vs Lakers Where holy crap Happens!

EddieB
05-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Artest over reacted, it was an elbow to the chest, his should have gotten suspended for the throat slashing

TmacBryant
05-07-2009, 01:59 AM
I say fisher gets suspended.

i think rafer alston got lucky tonight.... fishers foul got more attention tonight. Alston will probably just get hit with a fine imo.

lakerboy
05-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Does anybody have a replay of that throat slashing incident? I saw it. But some people here are saying it wasn't a throat slash.

I wanna see it.

GoatMilk
05-07-2009, 02:00 AM
http://zip.4chan.org/sp/src/1241674199380.gif
look kobe did elbow him, but look at Ron. both were at fault here.

i dont think he will get suspended

TmacBryant
05-07-2009, 02:02 AM
Does anybody have a replay of that throat slashing incident? I saw it. But some people here are saying it wasn't a throat slash.

I wanna see it.

the weird thing is that the ref closest to ron ( he was like an inch away from him) called the second tech i think.... so maybe he ejected him for no reason.

Havoc Wreaker
05-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Bahaha LA fans are so Homerrific

NJrockPD
05-07-2009, 02:03 AM
If Rondo didn't get suspended for anything I believe a player would have to pull out a Knife and stab someone to get suspended.

DRE'-MAC
05-07-2009, 02:04 AM
No way Kobe gets ejected. The league would never do that.
Fisher should definitely get a suspension.
Artest will probably get a fine even though he shouldve just gotten a tech, no ejection.

yojoe792
05-07-2009, 02:08 AM
Derek Fisher is my hero.

Havoc Wreaker
05-07-2009, 02:09 AM
The NBA has turned into a joke for me
After watching Kobe knee Battier and hit Artest without a call
After watching 5 minutes of Cle-ATL and notice that nothing gets called on Lebron
After watching Rondo bloody Miller
And so on....

It is ridiculous

Skin&Bones
05-07-2009, 02:14 AM
Everything is so sensitive nowadays... Its playoffs! Its going to be physical! Finally no more creampuffs playoff matches. THis is just like the bulls vs. new york knicks playoff games back then.

Vijay248
05-07-2009, 02:20 AM
You guys are so horrible. Fisher should get suspended because you can clearly see that he went at scola. AND TO ALL YOU CAVS FANS, LIKE U IN THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS DAMN THREAD, U SAID JUST CUZ ITS KOBE HE WONT GET A SUSPENSION, SAME CRAP FOR YOU AND YOUR PRECIOUS LEBRON. IF LEBRON WAS IN THERE INSTEAD OF KOBE YOU WOULD BE ALL LIKE,, NOWAYY!!!!!! BUT HE'S YOUR PRECIOUS L-BJ. KOBE ELBOWED HIM, WASNT BAD THOUGH CUZ ARTEST DIDNT EVEN HOLD HIS THROAT. CAVS FANS ARE FUNNY AND YEA THIS IS A CAVALIER BASH AND ITS MY FIRST ONE AND IT FEELS GOOD.

FOBolous
Derek Fisher is my hero.

:pity:

superkegger
Kobe's elbow should have been an offensive foul. No more.

Fisher was rightfully ejected, and should either get the same fine Kmart did, or get a one game suspension.

NJrockPD
05-07-2009, 02:22 AM
Everything is so sensitive nowadays... Its playoffs! Its going to be physical! Finally no more creampuffs playoff matches. THis is just like the bulls vs. new york knicks playoff games back then.

Don't get me wrong I don't mind physical basketball if it's consistant, but it's not.

chadtx01
05-07-2009, 02:23 AM
You know, with as good of a team as the Lakers are, you wouldnt think they would need to take as many cheap/dirty shots as they do.

I would love to see the outcome of Scola dropping a shoulder into Fisher. I bet that would be suspension worthy wouldnt it?

Lakers remind me of the Malone/Stockton led Jazz.

pippsux
05-07-2009, 02:24 AM
The only call the refs blew IMO was the Artest call. They should have reviewed the tape, Double Tech on Artest and Kobe. Why do they have all that equipment if they won't use it.

Vijay248
05-07-2009, 02:25 AM
You know, with as good of a team as the Lakers are, you wouldnt think they would need to take as many cheap/dirty shots as they do.

I would love to see the outcome of Scola dropping a shoulder into Fisher. I bet that would be suspension worthy wouldnt it?

Lakers remind me of the Malone/Stockton led Jazz.

Wow. First they are weak and not physical and now the're too physical. be quiet and dont be mad cuz the mavs are basically out man.

BigEric
05-07-2009, 02:28 AM
If Dwight Howard gets suspended for an elbow. Kobe should get suspended for an elbow. It wasn't any different than Dwight's. They were both in position battles. Kobe threw that elbow on purpose, to clear space from Artest. The league best do something about this because a rule is a rule. Don't bend them even more for Kobe. Bad enough Kobe taunts Battier on EVERY play, because Battier is playing physical defense. You've gotta play Kobe physical, and Kobe is ranting and taunting Battier, who has shown Kobe nothing but respect. I know Lakers fans will not respond well to this, I don't care, my points are legit. Ron Artest even hinted at it in his interviews, Kobe is a dirty play, that gets away with things because of his name.

Fisher, in my mind, should be suspended for game 3. He had intentions to hurt. Phil Jackson said that he didn't react in time because he was closer than he thought. Bull. He threw a personal elbow in the neck/head area. The thing is he ran into that elbow. Dwight and Kobe's elbows were in physical position battles. Fisher WASNT fighting through a screen, he popped Scola in the neck/ head area, with a windup. There is NO excuse for Fisher's foul.

Great series by the way.

Vijay248
05-07-2009, 02:31 AM
If Dwight Howard gets suspended for an elbow. Kobe should get suspended for an elbow. It wasn't any different than Dwight's. They were both in position battles. Kobe threw that elbow on purpose, to clear space from Artest. The league best do something about this because a rule is a rule. Don't bend them even more for Kobe. Bad enough Kobe taunts Battier on EVERY play, because Battier is playing physical defense. You've gotta play Kobe physical, and Kobe is ranting and taunting Battier, who has shown Kobe nothing but respect. I know Lakers fans will not respond well to this, I don't care, my points are legit. Ron Artest even hinted at it in his interviews, Kobe is a dirty play, that gets away with things because of his name.

Fisher, in my mind, should be suspended for game 3. He had intentions to hurt. Phil Jackson said that he didn't react in time because he was closer than he thought. Bull. He threw a personal elbow in the neck/head area. The thing is he ran into that elbow. Dwight and Kobe's elbows were in physical position battles. Fisher WASNT fighting through a screen, he popped Scola in the neck/ head area, with a windup. There is NO excuse for Fisher's foul.

Great series by the way.

Terrible

BoltLakerPadre
05-07-2009, 02:31 AM
How in the world do you accidentaly jump on a persons back. Homer you have a brain use it!!!

It's a loose ball, you better be down on the ground fighting for it. Sure that last elbow drop wasn't called for, but it wasn't suspension worthy, it wasn't hard, and it wasn't blatant. So...Kobe didn't get a suspension.

chadtx01
05-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Wow. First they are weak and not physical and now the're too physical. be quiet and dont be mad cuz the mavs are basically out man.

First off, I'm not even a Mavs fan. I hate Mark Cuban and Dirk.

Second, theres a difference in being physical and being dirty. That shot that Fisher took was nothing more than that.

I'm all about physical play. Makes the game more fun to watch and a physical game is definitely going to favor Houston, but taking cheap shots isnt being physical, its being dirty.

Vijay248
05-07-2009, 02:36 AM
You cant say anything. If it was your guy on your team you would be backing him up. Tell me im wrong? That your star player would do that. You would be all like, "HE DIDNT DO ANYTHING, HE BARELY TOUCHED HIM" and you damn well know it.

GoatMilk
if Kenyon didnt get a game for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC-pzv34c50

how can they give Fisher a game?
now he probably deserves a game, but there needs to be consistency

BigEric
Terrible

Said the Lakers fan. Look as far as this series goes, I try to be neutral. When this unfair justice isn't being resolved, it pisses me off. The way the league is set up, is, you're a Laker fan, or you hate the Lakers. There is no in between.

Why stick up for this? Because you're a Lakers fan? Wrong is wrong, don't get it twisted. Don't do anything so it seems like you're Lakers, Kobe mainly, are innocent.

TopsyTurvy
05-07-2009, 02:39 AM
This series, in two games, has been more physical than any I've seen this year so far. It's going to be really hard for the refs to call everything as tight as the rules dictate without ruining the flow of the game, but they may have to do just that to prevent injuries as a result of flagrant fouls...

chadtx01
05-07-2009, 02:39 AM
You cant say anything. If it was your guy on your team you would be backing him up. Tell me im wrong? That your star player would do that. You would be all like, "HE DIDNT DO ANYTHING, HE BARELY TOUCHED HIM" and you damn well know it.

Its one thing to say that he doesnt deserve a suspension, but you look flat out stupid if you try to sit there and act like he did nothing wrong.

Fisher took a cheap/dirty shot, end of story.