PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons: The New Wolves GM?

superkegger
05-06-2009, 07:28 PM
http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/randball/2009/05/06/randball-qa-espncoms-bill-simmons-your-next-wolves-gm/

With time of the essence — the Wolves have reportedly offered the job to David Kahn — we fired off an e-mail to Bill with some follow-up questions. He obliged with more than just answers. It was epic. Anything is possible! Here we go:

RandBall: On a scale of 1-100, how serious are you about being a viable candidate for an NBA GM job? I respect your basketball knowledge, and I know you’ve thrown it out there in the past, but is this something you really believe you could do and would want to do?

Bill Simmons: A solid 93. I just spent the past two years writing a mammoth book trying to figure out everything that ever happened in the NBA, which players and teams mattered more than we thought (or less than we thought), how we got here, and if there’s a secret to winning that we can learn from everything that already happened. I promise you that nobody has ever put more thought into what dynamics make an NBA team succeed or fail. You will understand when the book comes out in October. It’s 700 pages. No, really. It’s 700 pages. I’m not kidding.

But a couple of things bother me here. First, why does the NBA hold onto this old boy’s network thought process of “he failed the last time, maybe he won’t fail this time” with coaches and GMs? We have copious amounts of evidence that there is no correlation between succeeding as a college coach and succeeding as an NBA coach, or succeeding as an NBA player and succeeding as a GM, or succeeding the second time when you failed the first time. The job hinges on having common sense and a high basketball IQ, understanding chemistry and character, following the San Antonio/Boston blueprint and building a team a specific way, not following the mistakes everyone has made in the past, surrounding yourself with smart people, delegating, brainstorming, doing everything to can to get better, grasping the economic realities of the league and where it’s going, understanding human psyche and the effects of a big contract on certain people, and betting on the right players. We overthink this crap and we shouldn’t.

There's more to the article, and it's really quite interesting. It has little chance of working out, but to be honest, it makes some really good points.

DreamShaker
05-07-2009, 12:07 AM
That would be the greatest thing ever.

superkegger
05-07-2009, 12:08 AM
At least people would like, actually talk about the Wolves then.

leftie5
05-07-2009, 12:13 AM
That would be awesome to see. He really does know a lot about sports and doesn't just write his column like most other writers. Who knows how that would translate if he were to actually get the job.

Sadly, he could probably do a better job than at least half the GM's out there.

boeknows
05-07-2009, 01:12 AM
I dont want him as the GM thats for sure.

Chronz
05-07-2009, 05:18 AM
Im really pumped for his book

RaysFan
05-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Well his first mistake was talking about cutting prices of tickets in half and then giving them a 40% off discount on jerseys.

I do think that running an NBA team isn't as hard as it seems. You just have to know the salary-cap inside and out.

IndyRealist
05-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Well his first mistake was talking about cutting prices of tickets in half and then giving them a 40% off discount on jerseys.

I do think that running an NBA team isn't as hard as it seems. You just have to know the salary-cap inside and out.

I would hope they have lawyers for that...

superkegger
05-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Im really pumped for his book

as am I.

I think it's probably harder than you think, or else youd think out of the 95 or so GM's in the big 3 sports, we'd have 95 really good GM's, but it's a tough job that requires a lot of time, devotion, and understanding. It is way way way more than just knowing the salary cap, if it were, there wouldn't be GM's and bimbo could do that.

I would hope they have lawyers for that...

they do.

D-Leethal
05-07-2009, 01:16 PM
can't wait to read it

Draco
05-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Simmons blows. :cool: