PDA

View Full Version : Amir Khan vs. Ricky Hatton

lakers4sho
05-06-2009, 10:15 AM
It seems like that is what Freddie Roach is arranging for his rising star.

Trainer Freddie Roach has also hinted at his camp's desire to pit Khan against Ricky Hatton after the latter's fight with Roach's other star pupil, Manny Pacquiao.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amir_Khan_(boxer)

IMO Khan will be the one to unseat Pacman from his glory in the future (even though I don't want that to happen, and they currently both share the same trainer).

ULT WARRIOR408
05-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Hatton from here on out is gonna be a stepping stone.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Khan is pretty good. He should win a title first before facing Hatton.

H.E.R.
05-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Khan is pretty good. He should win a title first before facing Hatton.

Khan is good, but I'm not sold on his comeback beating a Barrera who has quickly deteriorated from his Marquez fight. He then lost to an 80% Pacquiao and moved up a division to fight no names.

Khan lacks bigtime power and his hand speed and quickness need work. If Hatton is the Hatton before the Pacquiao fight, I see Hatton taking this in the late rounds by decision or corner stoppage. Hatton's last fight however left him totally exposed by Roach and Pacquiao and if you want to have anyone in your corner against Hatton, it's Roach. Again, Khan doesn't have the power to knock Hatton out, but he's very accurate. If he figures out when to snipe Hatton and when to assault him, he could win by ref stoppage somewhere in the middle rounds.

jetsforever
05-06-2009, 06:46 PM
did i mention i hate freddie roach. Because i do

H.E.R.
05-06-2009, 07:22 PM

You didn't, but okay. Why do you hate him?

lakers4sho
05-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Khan is good, but I'm not sold on his comeback beating a Barrera who has quickly deteriorated from his Marquez fight. He then lost to an 80% Pacquiao and moved up a division to fight no names.

Khan lacks bigtime power and his hand speed and quickness need work. If Hatton is the Hatton before the Pacquiao fight, I see Hatton taking this in the late rounds by decision or corner stoppage. Hatton's last fight however left him totally exposed by Roach and Pacquiao and if you want to have anyone in your corner against Hatton, it's Roach. Again, Khan doesn't have the power to knock Hatton out, but he's very accurate. If he figures out when to snipe Hatton and when to assault him, he could win by ref stoppage somewhere in the middle rounds.

Freddie Roach is also Khan's trainer, so most likely he'll give the same pointers he gave to Manny.

H.E.R.
05-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Freddie Roach is also Khan's trainer, so most likely he'll give the same pointers he gave to Manny.

I know, but Khan doesn't have all of Pacquiao's ring attributes. He's an orthodox fighter who is not as powerful and not as quick. That could've changed the whole scope of Pacquiao-Hatton last week.

lakers4sho
05-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I agree. Pac's quickness was a major factor against Hitman.

jetsforever
05-06-2009, 09:16 PM
You didn't, but okay. Why do you hate him?

i think hes really overrated.

lakers4sho
05-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Why do you think that? Pacman was virtually nothing before Roach came to town...

Lebron23
05-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Hitman via KO in the 3rd Round. Amir Khan have a glass chin. ( see the Breidis Prescott Fight)

NotVeryOriginal
05-07-2009, 02:51 PM
It seems like that is what Freddie Roach is arranging for his rising star.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amir_Khan_(boxer)

IMO Khan will be the one to unseat Pacman from his glory in the future (even though I don't want that to happen, and they currently both share the same trainer).

LMAO, Khan is a mouthy scrub who got punked by Prescott. I couldnt stop laughing when he got KOd in a supposed tune up fight. Hatton would destroy Khan.

lakers4sho
05-07-2009, 04:34 PM
hmm maybe I need to re-evaluate the guy, I'm reading internet sites and they're all saying he has potential

I haven't really seen the Prescott fight, maybe that's why

Lebron23
05-07-2009, 05:00 PM
hmm maybe I need to re-evaluate the guy, I'm reading internet sites and they're all saying he has potential

I haven't really seen the Prescott fight, maybe that's why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm4RIWqMPKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDHHuouXICo&feature=related

Prescott is an up and coming fighter.

NYKnickFanatic
05-07-2009, 05:17 PM

How can you hate Roach? He is as humble as they come.

He never talks crap, saying he is the best or whatever.

If you should hate anyone, it should be Mayweather Sr.

Havoc Wreaker
05-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Bahah Khan got PwneD in that Prescott fight

H.E.R.
05-07-2009, 05:49 PM
i think hes really overrated.

As cornermen, most trainers currently and in the past are overrated. As in their job title, trainers during camp are really the most important people to fighters. They have to spot weaknesses in not only their fighters' opponents, but their fighters themselves and improve on them. They also have to make sure their fighters don't lose focus or get distracted.

As for Roach, you don't have to look far. Sure, Pacquiao was a gifted brawler when they first met. Roach turned him into a two handed boxing powerhouse while getting the attention of an entire country on his fighter's shoulders. Pacquiao's quickly becoming a celebrity and has become the face of boxing, but Roach has really kept Pacquiao's ego in check.

In the end though, it is the boxers who are responsible for themselves in the squared circle. Trainers guide them and give them another perspective in between rounds, but it's ultimately the boxer who has to rely on the use his talent and skills to win. Roach even stated himself it's Pacquiao that has made him look amazing.

Roach also helped James Toney and helped Oscar De La Hoya put up a somewhat competitive fight against Mayweather. Every trainer has a few duds. Roach definitely has a few.

H.E.R.
05-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Oh and everyone does know Khan is fighting Andreas Kotelnik next. Right?

lakers4sho
05-07-2009, 07:15 PM
yeah but after the Kotelnik fight Roach is probably going to arrange a fight against Hitman

I should've made the clearer

2009mvp
05-07-2009, 08:49 PM
From wiki? Really? The plan was always for Hatton to have a fight in England against Katsidis next, who put in some solid work a couple of months ago against Jesus Chavez. Have no idea what Hitman's gonna do after last weekend and few people do. Who's gonna train him? Will he reunite with Graham? Does he even want to fight anymore? Got to wait and see for something official is all.

ULT WARRIOR408
05-07-2009, 09:08 PM
From wiki? Really? The plan was always for Hatton to have a fight in England against Katsidis next, who put in some solid work a couple of months ago against Jesus Chavez. Have no idea what Hitman's gonna do after last weekend and few people do. Who's gonna train him? Will he reunite with Graham? Does he even want to fight anymore? Got to wait and see for something official is all.

Couldn't have said it myself but anyway where have you been at?We haven't heard from you in a while.:smoking:

2009mvp
05-07-2009, 09:33 PM
^^:shrug: Combination of being really busy and the beginning of another baseball season I guess. Nothing like a big fight to get a lot of people talking boxing though.

H.E.R.
05-07-2009, 10:21 PM

Absolutely right. Just to update everyone on a Hatton-Katsidis matchup, the latest is that Katsidis would welcome a match in Manchester. Like you said, it's all on Hatton right now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/8037758.stm

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=19728&more=1

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=19788

Katsidis, despite his last two victories, is still looking for redemption from his losses to Joel Casamayor and Juan Diaz. Hatton, now seen by some in the boxing community as a steeping stone, would be a good way to get noticed in the Jr. Welterweight division, especially with Hatton's popularity in England. I still feel Hatton is skilled and he was just overshadowed by Pacquiao's rise. It would be a high risk-high reward type for Katsidis. The problem is what, other than money, would Hatton have to gain in fighting him?

jetsforever
05-07-2009, 10:23 PM
As cornermen, most trainers currently and in the past are overrated. As in their job title, trainers during camp are really the most important people to fighters. They have to spot weaknesses in not only their fighters' opponents, but their fighters themselves and improve on them. They also have to make sure their fighters don't lose focus or get distracted.

As for Roach, you don't have to look far. Sure, Pacquiao was a gifted brawler when they first met. Roach turned him into a two handed boxing powerhouse while getting the attention of an entire country on his fighter's shoulders. Pacquiao's quickly becoming a celebrity and has become the face of boxing, but Roach has really kept Pacquiao's ego in check.

In the end though, it is the boxers who are responsible for themselves in the squared circle. Trainers guide them and give them another perspective in between rounds, but it's ultimately the boxer who has to rely on the use his talent and skills to win. Roach even stated himself it's Pacquiao that has made him look amazing.

Roach also helped James Toney and helped Oscar De La Hoya put up a somewhat competitive fight against Mayweather. Every trainer has a few duds. Roach definitely has a few.

Well he is a main reason for the downfall of tyson. When tyson lost his original trainer he became a bum. Roach taught him how to go only for the ko.

H.E.R.
05-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Well he is a main reason for the downfall of tyson. When tyson lost his original trainer he became a bum. Roach taught him how to go only for the ko.

Well in Roach's defense, many people felt Tyson's downfall began much early when Cus D'Amato died very early in Tyson's career. Those two were incredibly close and the only good connection he had left to D'Amato was Rooney and he was fired. Now I'm not sure, but I'm fairly confident Roach hadn't started training Tyson until 2003, when he fought Clifford Etienne. But with D'Amato's death and Rooney getting fired, no trainer in the world could have been a good replacement.