PDA

View Full Version : Is Dwight Howard a TRUE Center?

Chronz
05-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Or not? Reason I ask is because of a recent article (An NBA scout says that Thabeet is a true center, a rarity in the game today. "Dwight [Howard] is a hybrid center who is really a power forward," the scout said. "[Thabeet] is a true center. You're not going to find one in our league more athletic, agile, and coordinated with shot-blocking instincts.") on Thabeet:

An NBA scout says that Thabeet is a true center, a rarity in the game today.

"Dwight [Howard] is a hybrid center who is really a power forward," the scout said. "[Thabeet] is a true center. You're not going to find one in our league more athletic, agile, and coordinated with shot-blocking instincts."

What constitutes a "True" Center

TheHoopsProphet
05-06-2009, 06:24 AM
i could give you my opinion, but much like this idea of "true" positions, it would be nothing more than subjective and arbitrary.

Kyben36
05-06-2009, 07:22 AM
It realy doesnt matter, How tall should a SG be, 6"3, 6"4, 6"5, 6"6, does anyone realy know. Truth is he is a tall as a PF, but with his athletism, Body, and strength, he might as well be a C.

Let me ask you this question

Who is a better C, Dwight howard who has the body, athletism and is 1 inch shorter or Pau Gasol, who is scrawny, weak, has good skill and is at the 7 foot mark.

J-Relo
05-06-2009, 07:32 AM
the scout said true... but Howard can easily play at 5 cause he has the abilities

Dmagic87
05-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Or not? Reason I ask is because of a recent article (An NBA scout says that Thabeet is a true center, a rarity in the game today. "Dwight [Howard] is a hybrid center who is really a power forward," the scout said. "[Thabeet] is a true center. You're not going to find one in our league more athletic, agile, and coordinated with shot-blocking instincts.") on Thabeet:

What constitutes a "True" Center

He isn't a center in its truest form. But what people have to realize is that he is better because of that. He is an extremely athletic PF in a Centers body which is what I would rather have. BTW this scout is ******** because Thabeet will never come close to Dwight's blocking ability. He agility and and athletic ability are not even close to Howard's. Howard is the best guy that plays the 5 position on the NBA. Period, he can only get better.

valpo34
05-06-2009, 07:40 AM
traditionally that may be true but todays PF's are not just post players and can play all over the floor. In todays game Howard is definatly a Center.

J-Relo
05-06-2009, 07:47 AM
He isn't a center in its truest form. But what people have to realize is that he is better because of that. He is an extremely athletic PF in a Centers body which is what I would rather have. BTW this scout is ******** because Thabeet will never come close to Dwight's blocking ability. He agility and and athletic ability are not even close to Howard's. Howard is the best guy that plays the 5 position on the NBA. Period, he can only get better.

in a Centers body

the main thing that he doesn't have Centers body...

azkarraga
05-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Who is a better C, Dwight howard who has the body, athletism and is 1 inch shorter or Pau Gasol, who is scrawny, weak, has good skill and is at the 7 foot mark.

C? howard.

Faneik
05-06-2009, 08:07 AM
True, pure, real. Those are just words, they don't mean much.

What counts is that Dwight led the league in rebounds and blocks (my point: he's always near the rim, the CENTER of the game), doesn't have a midrange game, causing him to play his game in the low post.

If Dwight isn't a center, I don't know who is.

EX-TREME
05-06-2009, 08:39 AM
well he is a center since he is a freak athlete. he is a dominating force and the teams shot blocker. he's game is suited for the post.

NotVeryOriginal
05-06-2009, 09:26 AM
It realy doesnt matter, How tall should a SG be, 6"3, 6"4, 6"5, 6"6, does anyone realy know. Truth is he is a tall as a PF, but with his athletism, Body, and strength, he might as well be a C.

Let me ask you this question

Exactly, Look at Charles Barkely, he wasnt a prototypical PF, but he did it better than most.

NYY 26 to 7
05-06-2009, 09:39 AM
I would say he is the trueest center in the game today. He isn't one of these PF's who steps out and shoots jumpers he is a 7ft post up rebounding dunking shot blocking machiene. How is he a pf in any way? He is a modern David Robinson - David was a pure center. I think Howard is one of the few real centers left in this league. Today's centers seem to favor the small better shooting more athleic centers.

lakers4sho
05-06-2009, 10:03 AM
No because he doesn't have a post game (although he still has time to develop one).

He's basically a HUGE PF who gets his points through dunks, put backs, and alley oops.

Testaverde16
05-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I see him as more of a PF, but honestly, he is a beast down low no matter what he is listed as.

macc
05-06-2009, 10:38 AM
When he first came into this leave he was a PF and they played him next to Kevin Cato. As stated in one of the posts above me, your PF is a completely different position in today's NBA. Actually most players who were PF's their entire career have moved to Center, Tim Duncan, Rasheed Wallace, Jermaine O'Neil, Paul Gasol and others I haven't named.

Jay22Redd
05-06-2009, 10:38 AM
He's a PF in a Center body

Anon
05-06-2009, 10:59 AM
He plays center. What was the question?

mavwar53
05-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Let me ask would howard be able to play with bynum or shaq? No so he is a true center end of story.

Hellcrooner
05-06-2009, 11:21 AM
he is a center in nowdays standart where there isnt much fiferrenc ebtween pf and c and so many players swingh in those positions, Brand, Duncna, Gasol, Sotu, Bosh,jefferson etc etc.

If we are talking about OLD FaSHION center like in the 80s or 90s then No....

but there arent too many canon centers right now.....Yao, Dampier, Marc Gasol, Bynum, Shaq, Oden,Pryzbila,ilgauskas,Brad Miller, Bogut,E Curry,Lopez,Perkins...

those are the only old style centers with any relevance i can think of right now.

J-Relo
05-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Let me ask would howard be able to play with bynum or shaq? No so he is a true center end of story.

No and that means he's center? I guess you wanted to say YES...

Lebron could play against Howard, is he center?

a_dub06
05-06-2009, 11:27 AM
How is dwight at all a pf? he's 6'11 and weighs 265 pounds!!! look through the league which teams actually DONT have a starting centre thats 7 foot or over.... this list includes: Atl, Bos, Cha, Chi, Dal, Den, Det, Gsw, Ind, Min, Nyk, Orl, Okc, Phi, Sac, San, Uta.... Thats over 50% of teams. The game has gone smaller with faster/quicker teams for added versatility but at the end of the day centres are smaller these days but still have a foundation of post up moves and footwork. Dwight is 1 inch off 7 foot cant shoot but utilizes post ups, foot work and his insane hopps to get it done which he does redicoulsly well. Bottom line dwight is a TRUE CURRENT nba centre in a centres body but possessing a great athletic ability!

rathauneak
05-06-2009, 11:29 AM
The way the game is played today it's hard to differentiate between positions. Basically, you have a PG, two wings, and two post players. Gasol is a good example, 4 or 5 depending on whether or not Bynum is playing...same with Tim Duncan. However, the way the play on offense nor does the offense itself change. Rashard Lewis isn't a true 4 but he plays the 4 while D. Howard plays the 5.

Tmac,lt,berkman
05-06-2009, 11:33 AM
i think he is a true center but it really doe not matter cuz he gets his job done thats why he is the second best center in the nba behind yao ming.

mavwar53
05-06-2009, 11:41 AM

the no was answering my own question

chadtx01
05-06-2009, 11:49 AM
If its lack of a low post game that keeps him from being a center, what was Dikembe? We all know he was a great shotblocker and rebounder but he never had much game in the post.

If its the fact that he's not a true 7 footer, what did that make Hakeem? He may have been listed at 7' but he really played at 6'11".

The man led the league in blocked shots and rebounds, I'd definitely say he's a true center.

JayW_1023
05-06-2009, 12:05 PM
A true center has nothing to do with size. Bill Russell, Alonzo Mourning and Hakeem Olajuwon were 6'10 and in my opinion true centers as well.

what54!?
05-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Let me ask would howard be able to play with bynum or shaq? No so he is a true center end of story.he can handle bynum buddy. In today's NBA he does everything a center should do.

Rocket_lover
05-06-2009, 01:05 PM
True, pure, real. Those are just words, they don't mean much.

What counts is that Dwight led the league in rebounds and blocks (my point: he's always near the rim, the CENTER of the game), doesn't have a midrange game, causing him to play his game in the low post.

If Dwight isn't a center, I don't know who is.

to answer that yao ming...the best in the nba and not only cuz im a rockets fan...he always dominates dwight

Nikolishin
05-06-2009, 01:20 PM
i think hes more of a prototypical pointgaurd most deffinently NOT the best center in the game today

jgonboricua
05-06-2009, 01:51 PM
I have always thought as dwight as a PF...kinda like tim duncan....there are very few real centerss in the league, such as yao and shaq...oden is a true center. Can you amiagine dwight playing next two a true center...would be a massive front court

MrBloop
05-06-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm old school and last time I checked a center was the biggest guy on his team. This shouldn't even be an argument, Dwight is as pure a center as any C in basketball. Nobody plays bigger than him on the court.

He dominates the game like every great C has in the past.

Why is this even a discussion???

superkegger
05-06-2009, 02:24 PM
He's a C. He may be a a little shorter than a normal C, but he's most definitely a C.

superkegger
05-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I have always thought as dwight as a PF...kinda like tim duncan....there are very few real centerss in the league, such as yao and shaq...oden is a true center. Can you amiagine dwight playing next two a true center...would be a massive front court

The Spurs may insist Duncan is a PF, but ever since robinson retired, he's pretty much been a C.

MrBloop
05-06-2009, 02:33 PM
He's a C. He may be a a little shorter than a normal C, but he's most definitely a C.

For the record...I'm gonna say this in caps so every1 see's it clearly...
THERE IS NO LAW THAT SAYS A CENTER HAS TO BE 7 FEET TALL

MrBloop
05-06-2009, 02:34 PM
The Spurs may insist Duncan is a PF, but ever since robinson retired, he's pretty much been a C.

agreed.

Nets fan 93
05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
He came into the L as a PF therefore no he is not a true Center....he doesnt have any post moves yet, most C's have post moves

ARMIN12NBA
05-06-2009, 06:41 PM
For the record...I'm gonna say this in caps so every1 see's it clearly...
THERE IS NO LAW THAT SAYS A CENTER HAS TO BE 7 FEET TALL

There is no law, but everybody would much rather have a center who is a legit 7 footer. The size and length of a 7 footer makes for an even more intimidating presence in the paint, whether it is playing man on man defense or patrolling the paint for penetrating guards.

madiaz3
05-06-2009, 06:51 PM
he can handle bynum buddy. In today's NBA he does everything a center should do.

He is saying, could you put Howard and Shaq or Bynum on the same team? The answer is no.

Can you place Dirk or Gasol next to Shaq without conflict? If you can, then they aren't true centers.

GiantMetKnick
05-06-2009, 07:06 PM
I understand what they mean by Dwight not being a true center, but I really don't like the word "true" for this. He competes with all the other centers and is able to hang in there with the taller guys. In some ways, I think his athleticism is being thought of almost as a negative, because "true" centers don't move as fluidly as he does.

But anyway, who cares. Being at the top of the league in rebounds and blocks is certainly "true" enough for me.

chadtx01
05-06-2009, 07:06 PM
He came into the L as a PF therefore no he is not a true Center....he doesnt have any post moves yet, most C's have post moves

Dikembe Mutumbo, Theo Ratliff, Celvin Cato, Shawn Bradley....what were those guys?

Ralph Sampson was drafted as a C, but when the Rockets drafted Olajuwon they shifted him to PF. What did that make him? What you enter the league as has no bearing on what you actually are.

fishfan79
05-06-2009, 07:10 PM
if he isnt a center there is not a center in the nba right now

ARMIN12NBA
05-06-2009, 07:15 PM
if he isnt a center there is not a center in the nba right now

:confused:

Randy West
05-06-2009, 07:16 PM
I mean Dirk is over 7' and he plays the PF position

Howard is shorter and plays the C position

It has something to do with the game each guy plays and the abilities of each player. Howard has the size and athleticism to play C in the NBA even if he is not 7' tall.

Lets ask each GM in the NBA if they would rather have Howard or Thabeet starting at center for their team.........I am almost willing to bet Howard wins that one hands down.

dtmagnet
05-06-2009, 07:20 PM
He's a player, and a damn good one. Can't we leave it at that?

Hawkeye15
05-06-2009, 08:25 PM
2 things
Dwight is a center in today's game. He is a PF in 1995. Period
And Thabeet has bust written all over him. He couldn't score unless it fell into his lap and everyone around him fell down in the NBA

wileyisTOFU
05-06-2009, 08:33 PM
dwight strugles against dominant centers, such as yao.but saying that, there isnt that many dominant centers in the game.

Chronz
05-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Im looking at Perk and hes much bigger than Dwight, so is it having broad shoulders and being big vertically?

jmastert
05-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Dwight is the best center in the NBA point blank. he is no power forward

chadtx01
05-07-2009, 03:16 AM
2 things
Dwight is a center in today's game. He is a PF in 1995. Period
And Thabeet has bust written all over him. He couldn't score unless it fell into his lap and everyone around him fell down in the NBA

How exactly do you figure? Is it the size or the style of play? The best center in the league in '95 was only 6'11"

TheDiggler
05-07-2009, 05:23 AM
Sure, he is TRUE center. For a PF he should be a better shooter. He brings in some PF abilities in his Center-play, but putting Dwight on PF would be just not right. Look at this guy, how old is he ? Give him 2 more years to mature his game and mature in the Center role ... His athleticism let's you think he might be a nice PF as well, but I say he's Center for his career, because of mind, body and ability.

TheHeat3
05-10-2009, 09:44 PM
He's a Center...just a new breed of Center due to his quickness and huge leaping ability. He has the body of a Center, Quickness of some Small Forwards and the Head size of a high school Point guard.

nik.jd.aitken
05-10-2009, 10:04 PM
I would say he is the trueest center in the game today. He isn't one of these PF's who steps out and shoots jumpers he is a 7ft post up rebounding dunking shot blocking machiene. How is he a pf in any way? He is a modern David Robinson - David was a pure center. I think Howard is one of the few real centers left in this league. Today's centers seem to favor the small better shooting more athleic centers.

I'd give the purest C honour to Erick Dampier, not that it means anything, the guy is invisible most nights.

wannabGM
05-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Defensively, I'd say he's a prototypical center.
Offensively, he's not.

I'd say he's about as close as possible to becoming a truly great center without quite being there yet. And with another season or two, he might be there.

Whether he's a true center or not, the dude is definitely a true animal. What a physical presence in the paint on both ends of the floor! There's not currently a center in the NBA who can make an impact on both ends the way Howard can.
Yao is more of a "true" center strictly offensively than Howard, but doesn't come anywhere near him in terms of impact on the defensive end.