PDA

View Full Version : How good would the Cavs be if LBJ went down?

UofA
05-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Hypothetically, if Lebron James went down during the Cavs first game this year, and had to be out for the entire year, how would the Cavs do? If they played the whole season without Lebron, where would they have ended up in the east?

cmellofan15
05-05-2009, 09:58 PM
with the first pick in the draft the cavs choose...blake griffin

Zetterberg40
05-05-2009, 10:00 PM
They wouldnt have been that bad I could see anywhere from 7th to 10th but they would have been gone 1st round without a doubt

championships
05-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Who knows. You could be under 500. and still make the playoffs in the East

IRUAM #21
05-05-2009, 10:04 PM
10-72

dee279
05-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I second the Blake Griffin thought.

superkegger
05-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Hard to know. I think they'd finish around .500 or so, give or take a few games.

Lakers09
05-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Considering how much better Lebron made his team this year idk. They prolly woulda made a trade to bring someone in because they wouldnt have a strong scorer but i think they would have for sure made the playoffs.

BALLER71
05-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Bout 30-40 wins.

cmellofan15
05-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't think they have any way in hell to make it in the playoffs if their first option is Mo Williams, and you have a starting five (just guessing what it would be) of williams/west/wally/hinkson/z

Lebron23
05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
21-61

superkegger
05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
I don't think they have any way in hell to make it in the playoffs if their first option is Mo Williams, and you have a starting five (just guessing what it would be) of williams/west/wally/hinkson/z

why would hickson all the sudden jump from 3rd string to 1st string because LeBron goes down?

cmellofan15
05-05-2009, 10:20 PM
lol I have no idea but without LeBron in the line up **** falls apart.

downsos
05-05-2009, 10:21 PM
They would be one of the worst teams in the league.

Bucks24226
05-05-2009, 10:22 PM
0-82 give or take a few games =)

tsb77
05-05-2009, 10:23 PM
They'd be competing...for a lottery pick

bal_ravens
05-05-2009, 10:24 PM
If he was somehow injured in the offseason and they could have planned for the season, I would say 16-19 wins. But if he got injured in the first game, I would say 10ish wins.

superkegger
05-05-2009, 10:25 PM
I really don't think the Cavs without LeBron are a whole lot worse than the Pistons, if worse at all.

UofA
05-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I really don't think the Cavs without LeBron are a whole lot worse than the Pistons, if worse at all.

I agree, I wouldn't see them falling anywhere below the 10 spot, maybe as high as 7

D-Leethal
05-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Lebron isn't injurable

smith&wesson
05-05-2009, 10:39 PM
the cavs without james ? umm they would probably get the first or second or third pic in the draft the following year.

Kenny
05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Lebron sets everything up for all of these spot up shooters.. Lets just say they would be in trouble without him

MPScribbles
05-05-2009, 11:00 PM
They would be about as bad a the Heat without Wade. Either team would win about 20 games. That is why they should have been 1 and 2 in the MVP voting.

Trouble87
05-06-2009, 03:34 AM
Mo Pete & Big Z would step up big time...

they would end up about 6th in the East and loose in the first round

aNYer
05-06-2009, 04:27 AM

thats a little more generous then I would be. I say between 7th and 11ish.

EX-TREME
05-06-2009, 04:29 AM
500. team

Becks2307
05-06-2009, 04:36 AM
less than .500 for sure this team sucks without LBJ

pg Mo williams
sg Delonte West
sf Wally Szcerbiak
pf Anderson Varejao
C Žydrūnas Ilgauskas

that team does NOT make the playoffs. Hardly any low post scoring..a sf who can barely jump or defend .....A undersized 2 guard who isnt really that good ...and mo williams ? haha they would never make the playoffs

not to mention Lebron's leadership which has all these players playing alot better than their natural level right now. Take that away and these players play at their natural level..it would be ugly

GoatMilk
05-06-2009, 04:41 AM
Indiana Pacers good(this season anyways)

Faneik
05-06-2009, 05:40 AM
lottery, 25 wins.

what? mo williams can carry a team to .500?

yeah right...

Faneik
05-06-2009, 05:41 AM

You mean Mo Will...;)

jsneller1985
05-06-2009, 07:12 AM
all I know is their free throws would go from 35 a game to about 11. nba sucks his ____.

J-Relo
05-06-2009, 07:34 AM
without Lebron they still put up a nice lineup... as they are in the east i guess they could battle for the last spots in the playoffs

Katspinal1313
05-06-2009, 07:37 AM
21-61

Perfect!

adamsison
05-06-2009, 07:51 AM
6-8th seed, they bench is loaded with ex starters. ben wallace, wally szerbiak (however you spell it).

Faneik
05-06-2009, 07:54 AM
6-8th seed, they bench is loaded with ex starters. ben wallace, wally szerbiak (however you spell it).

keyword --> ex

goldfly27
05-06-2009, 09:00 AM
I don't think the cavs would survive. Lebron makes everybody better because he is the guy every team pays close attention to. Because of that, it allows Lebron's teammates to be in more favorable matchups. Big Z and Mo Williams would be their next best player in line, but I don't see it happening. Big Z is getting old and has always been known to be injury prone, and Mo is a good shooter when he's open, thanks to Lebron. After all, back in Mo's Bucks day, there was Redd, but Redd don't scare nobody like Lebron. To answer the question, they most likely go in the 15-20 win season w/out Lebron.

Hellcrooner
05-06-2009, 11:23 AM
in teh ***** east...like 30-35 victories.

dawkinit
05-06-2009, 11:32 AM
they would be like my sixers...one and done

prodigy
05-06-2009, 11:36 AM
what would the lakers be like without kobe?

what would the heat be like without wade?

bosh and raptor? yes they could be worse.

hornets without paul? nothin.

these question are dumb, the cavs have lebron and will win the ship. case closed.

kjdills13
05-06-2009, 11:42 AM
They would have made it to the East finals. They have an all star point guard great defense minded and 3 point shooting 2 guard a defense minded pf and then a top 10 center. They have a solid bench i think they could have done some damage still

TheChosenOne88
05-06-2009, 01:44 PM

This is the only logical response I have seen so far. The rest of you guys need to watch the Cavs and not just LeBron. Haven't you noticed his MPG are down for a reason? Its because we can still hold teams down with LeBron on the bench. Last night was an example of that in case you missed the game.

what54!?
05-06-2009, 01:45 PM
they may make the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed but get demolished in the first round

goldfly27
05-06-2009, 05:36 PM
This is the only logical response I have seen so far. The rest of you guys need to watch the Cavs and not just LeBron. Haven't you noticed his MPG are down for a reason? Its because we can still hold teams down with LeBron on the bench. Last night was an example of that in case you missed the game.

I don't know. Lebron sets things up for the Cavs. I'm sure he sits when they have a comfortable lead. If you watch the games, they have such a good lead by fourth quarter that his minutes are obviously going to go down. Don't forget that. Like seriously though, you really think Mo Williams will get as many clean looks as he does without Lebron. Let's not forget, Big Z isn't the healthiest guy. Everybody feeds off of Lebron. Like I said before, Mo had some okay stats playing with Redd and the Bucks back then to give him some credibility, but if you minus Lebron, you don't have nobody as good as Redd or better so I don't see the Cavs doing much with Mo and Big Z as their best players. I see Big Z being hampered with injury because of more minutes due to him being one of their best if the Cavs don't have Lebron. He is MVP for a reason. Not to spark another debate, but if you minus Kobe on Lakers, you have Odom, Gasol, and Bynum capable of still making them formidable but not championship material of course.

cmstophe
05-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Theyd be bad. Why does this even need to be asked? It's a star driven league.

jetsfan28
05-06-2009, 05:43 PM
I think this year, they would've been a 7-10 seed, somewhere around there, in the East (assuming they don't trade Wally). However, I feel the players have gotten a lot better, thanks to him, next year they would be somewhere around 5-7 IMO.

gauth25
05-06-2009, 05:55 PM
35 wins max.

Nirvanaskurdt
05-06-2009, 06:03 PM
They would probably be in the 8 spot and pistons would be out.. :)

FNM BOY
05-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Dumb thread....but anyway The Cavs would be the same as the Lakers if Kobe went down!!

theuuord
05-06-2009, 06:32 PM
lol @ anyone thinking LeBron took what would have been a 20 win team to 66 wins.

No player has ever been worth 46 wins, ever.

They'd probably still make the playoffs but obviously not go nearly as far. 40ish wins.

aNYer
05-06-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't know. Lebron sets things up for the Cavs. I'm sure he sits when they have a comfortable lead. If you watch the games, they have such a good lead by fourth quarter that his minutes are obviously going to go down. Don't forget that. Like seriously though, you really think Mo Williams will get as many clean looks as he does without Lebron. Let's not forget, Big Z isn't the healthiest guy. Everybody feeds off of Lebron. Like I said before, Mo had some okay stats playing with Redd and the Bucks back then to give him some credibility, but if you minus Lebron, you don't have nobody as good as Redd or better so I don't see the Cavs doing much with Mo and Big Z as their best players. I see Big Z being hampered with injury because of more minutes due to him being one of their best if the Cavs don't have Lebron. He is MVP for a reason. Not to spark another debate, but if you minus Kobe on Lakers, you have Odom, Gasol, and Bynum capable of still making them formidable but not championship material of course.

your right. You know how many games he didn't even play in the 4th in or at least huge chunks of minutes. There is a huge difference between him getting fewer minutes and him helping them blow teams out by so much its no longer a game that he can come out and not have it really affect the game.

And as a knick fan I don't like the Lakers but I feel like your right. The Lakers might not be the 1 seed or anything but with out Kobe they could still make it out the 1st round.

IBleedPurple
05-06-2009, 07:14 PM
I'd say wins in the 40's

JordansBulls
05-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Well technically the best way to measure is to take away his win shares. His Win Shares was roughly 20 so that means around 46 wins.

lakers4sho
05-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Well technically the best way to measure is to take away his win shares. His Win Shares was roughly 20 so that means around 46 wins.

That's pretty good, especially considering that they're in the eastern conference. Definitely a playoff team.

theuuord
05-06-2009, 07:19 PM

It's a decent way to look at it but it's (obviously) more complicated. You can't just take away his minutes without re-adding some replacement level. Someone would play the minutes he didn't. Plus the factor of LeBron's ability to make his teammates better, I'd probably make it more in the range of 40 wins.

Missing56&33
05-06-2009, 07:41 PM
with the first pick in the draft the cavs choose...blake griffin

x2

leftymo
05-07-2009, 03:36 AM
Cleveland has a better team around Lebron than most want to give them credit for. They'd do fine without Lebron. Top 4 seed.

Zman - 2 time allstar and still effective
Wally - 1 time allstar shooter still knocks down his shots
Mo Williams - allstar
Ben Wallace - hasn't played much this year but been there done that.
west/sasha/varajao...

solid pieces. it still takes five players to play the game. despite lebron getting all the stats.

Lebron23
05-07-2009, 03:44 AM
Are you Serious?

Only LeBron and Mo Williams played more than 80 games in the Regular Season.

Both Z and West missed plenty of games, but the Cavaliers still secured the best record in the NBA.

Wally - is one of the worst All Star in NBA History, and he only averaged 6 ppg in the Regular Season

Z - solid Center, but he's slow. Dwight and other athletic Centers always dominated him.

Mo Williams - The Bucks are not even a playoffs team last year despite having Michael Redd on his team.

Ben Wallace - Injury Prone

Anderson Varejao/Boobie Gibson/Sasha Pavlovic - Inconsistent

West - He was suffering from depression. And thank God it was already cured.

LeBron led his team in points, rebounds, assists, and steals ( Only the 4th player in NBA History to accomplished that amazing feat).

prodigy
05-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Are you Serious?

Only LeBron and Mo Williams played more than 80 games in the Regular Season.

Both Z and West missed plenty of games, but the Cavaliers still secured the best record in the NBA.

Wally - is one of the worst All Star in NBA History, and he only averaged 6 ppg in the Regular Season

Z - solid Center, but he's slow. Dwight and other athletic Centers always dominated him.

Mo Williams - The Bucks are not even a playoffs team last year despite having Michael Redd on his team.

Ben Wallace - Injury Prone

Anderson Varejao/Boobie Gibson/Sasha Pavlovic - Inconsistent

West - He was suffering from depression. And thank God it was already cured.

1. wally is a real 20PPG scorer in this leauge. Now since he came to cleveland wally has not been that. Not sure why it just stopped, but wally can ball. Also his defense has been very good since coming to cleveland.

2. I love having Z on howard. Yes howard is faster, But if the cavs slow them down, howard has no moves and can't shoot over Z. Plus you got AV who can keep up with howard.

3. AV is very consistant. He will defend, and hustle EVERY GAME!! Might not have huge numbers, But thats not his game.

4. West has been great for us. He is a big reason we are where we are. Plus he is so much fun to watch and listen to.

lakers4sho
05-07-2009, 09:58 AM
1. wally is a real 20PPG scorer in this leauge. Now since he came to cleveland wally has not been that. Not sure why it just stopped, but wally can ball. Also his defense has been very good since coming to cleveland.

2. I love having Z on howard. Yes howard is faster, But if the cavs slow them down, howard has no moves and can't shoot over Z. Plus you got AV who can keep up with howard.

3. AV is very consistant. He will defend, and hustle EVERY GAME!! Might not have huge numbers, But thats not his game.

4. West has been great for us. He is a big reason we are where we are. Plus he is so much fun to watch and listen to.

Thank you. A Cav fan who actually appreciates the effort of the other guys.

king4day
05-07-2009, 10:53 AM
They'd be a bubble team. I thought the C's without KG would be horrible (last year) and they do have a good core that keeps them afloat.
This Cavs team would be no different. Maybe not as good, but they wouldn't fall apart.

king4day
05-07-2009, 10:55 AM

Let's just pray he never wear an afro again. Big Z could sport a better looking one than West did :)