PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather Sr: "Hatton should retire"

lakers4sho
05-03-2009, 01:55 PM
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/159708/Hatton-should-retire-says-Mayweather-Sr

MANILA, Philippines – Floyd Mayweather Sr. is suggesting that Ricky Hatton should make the right move and retire from boxing before he gets seriously injured.

Mayweather Sr., in an interview with SkySports, made the suggestion after Hatton suffered the worst loss of his 47-fight career when he was overpowered by Manny Pacquiao in a stunning second-round knockout.

“That’s boxing," said Mayweather Sr. after Hatton’s loss. “I would suggest he retire. At the end of the day it’s his decision."

Mayweather Sr. said that losing two of your last four fights could give Hatton the thought of finally hanging up his gloves.

“He tried twice. He failed twice. He lost to my son and to lose to someone below that, it’s time to leave the ring. He made a good profit. Sometimes you have to go when your prime is still there," said Mayweather Sr.

Pacquiao overpowered Hatton in their “Battle of East and West" bout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The Filipino boxing icon ended the fight with a vicious left hook that forced the “Hitman" to hit the deck.

“I knew it was over. Ricky fights the same way over and over. He doesn’t have the ability to adjust," said Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach.

Pacquiao said sticking to their strategy was the key to his victory. “Our strategy was the one-punch, left hook, right hook. That was going to be the key to this fight." – GMANews.TV

anything else?? :rolleyes:

Havoc Wreaker
05-03-2009, 01:56 PM
No **** Sherlock!

UK Bull
05-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I think he's done but if he does carry on he will split up with mayweather sr and Freddy Roach said he wants to coach him so you never no

jimbobjarree
05-03-2009, 04:47 PM
well if he's never going to change his style, and learn from his mistakes he will continue on his downward spiral. He came out last night as naive as he did against Floyd, if he wont adjust he should just call it a day.

KingOf215
05-04-2009, 03:21 AM
I don't think he should retire... Hatton is a good fighter, going out after being obliterated like that just isn't right. Also, there are plenty of Hatton fights out there I'd still pay to watch. I'm sure Hatton cares about his legacy, and would like to go out on a better note than this.

jetsforever
05-04-2009, 07:55 PM
“He tried twice. He failed twice. He lost to my son and to lose to someone below that, it’s time to leave the ring.

hmmmm. I personally dont think hatton should just drop it all because hes lost to the 2 best in the sport. He is still a good fighter. this may actually wake him up. Sometimes a good beating could end a career but it could also wake one up too. (rocky vs clubber lang :nod:)

NYKnickFanatic
05-05-2009, 12:25 AM
There is no one left for him to box.

He SHOULD retire. He is done.

H.E.R.
05-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Sometimes a good beating could end a career but it could also wake one up too. (rocky vs clubber lang :nod:)

The difference was that Hatton was in shape and Rocky wasn't. Pacquiao, unlike Clubber Lang, isn't an upcoming fighter, but ranked by many boxing analysts as the best in the sport. Hatton also in those 2 rounds showed he had no answer for Pacquiao and that he couldn't change his boxing style.

jetsforever
05-05-2009, 10:15 AM
The difference was that Hatton was in shape and Rocky wasn't. Pacquiao, unlike Clubber Lang, isn't an upcoming fighter, but ranked by many boxing analysts as the best in the sport. Hatton also in those 2 rounds showed he had no answer for Pacquiao and that he couldn't change his boxing style.

But maybe hatton cant keep up with the top notch guys. That doesnt mean he can't fight other guys within his division

H.E.R.
05-05-2009, 05:37 PM
But maybe hatton cant keep up with the top notch guys. That doesnt mean he can't fight other guys within his division

I know guys like Ricky Hatton. He'll keep fighting, but the media and even deep down in himself, he'll know he can't defeat the best of the sport. It's definitely not a knock on Hatton, but that's the chip on their shoulder.

So how does Ricky Hatton recover? His most natural weight class has just felt the wrath of Pacquiao. He can move up to welterweight at 147. However, Pacquiao and Roach exposed his style. It's one thing like Pacquiao to improve his style, but it's a completely different thing to change one's style at 30.

SHOULD HE KEEP GOING...there are popular fights waiting at Welterweight. Miguel Cotto, Andre Berto, Sugar Shane Mosley, Antonio Margarito...beat some of those guys and Hatton's comeback will start to shine. But then you have Pacquiao and Mayweather once again waiting to halt his comeback.

I'm rambling, but this is very difficult. It's a HUGE task and a lot of it is mental, but when you look at the fighters he'd have to face...it's as much physical. Does Hatton really need that kind of strain?

ULT WARRIOR408
05-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I think he's done but if he does carry on he will split up with mayweather sr and Freddy Roach said he wants to coach him so you never no

I DONT KNOW WHY HE EVEN HIRED MAYWEATHER SR.
WHO WANTS A TRAINER THATS GONNA TRY HIS HARDEST TO UPSTAGE YOU & GET ALL OF THE ATTENTION?:confused:

NinerNation
05-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Mayweather SR. needs to retire. He's a loser. Hatton let the fame go to his head a bit, but he'll make a comeback, and hopefully its with a stand up guy like Roach.

ULT WARRIOR408
05-06-2009, 02:31 PM

FASHO:clap:

EddieB
05-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Pacman is not below Mayweather junior, stfu dad

jetsforever
05-06-2009, 06:40 PM
I know guys like Ricky Hatton. He'll keep fighting, but the media and even deep down in himself, he'll know he can't defeat the best of the sport. It's definitely not a knock on Hatton, but that's the chip on their shoulder.

So how does Ricky Hatton recover? His most natural weight class has just felt the wrath of Pacquiao. He can move up to welterweight at 147. However, Pacquiao and Roach exposed his style. It's one thing like Pacquiao to improve his style, but it's a completely different thing to change one's style at 30.

SHOULD HE KEEP GOING...there are popular fights waiting at Welterweight. Miguel Cotto, Andre Berto, Sugar Shane Mosley, Antonio Margarito...beat some of those guys and Hatton's comeback will start to shine. But then you have Pacquiao and Mayweather once again waiting to halt his comeback.

I'm rambling, but this is very difficult. It's a HUGE task and a lot of it is mental, but when you look at the fighters he'd have to face...it's as much physical. Does Hatton really need that kind of strain?

sometimes you have to just put the ego aside. It really comes down to his greedy-ness. Does he want to make some more money. Does he think he can still compete against good fighters (maybe not the best). I think he can. You didnt ramble btw it was a really good post

NinerNation
05-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Mayweather SR. needs to retire. He's a loser. Hatton let the fame go to his head a bit, but he'll make a comeback, and hopefully its with a stand up guy like Roach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4148467&name=rafael_dan

This is from Dan Rafaels blog on ESPN. I was hoping Hatton would lose Mayweather Sr. as his trainer. It would be amazing to see a guy like Roach take over and allow Hatton to showcase his true talent. I really think Hatton has just as much talent as Pac man, but hasn't had a legitimate trainer.

H.E.R.
05-09-2009, 07:10 PM
At 30, it is incredibly hard for any trainer to come in and change a boxer's style. I don't fully blame Sr. for Hatton's loss because he at least should've did homework on Pacquiao. I do believe Hatton should retire because when you can't beat the best, that will always be on your mind. Every opponent he'll face, the media will brand him washed-up. He doesn't need that. Sr. should've stood by his fighter after the fight though. Instead, he tries to stay in the limelight and flat out says Hatton should retire to the media and blames the loss solely on him.