PDA

View Full Version : Bulls-Celtics 2009.....Best Playoff Series Ever?

ProdigyI
05-03-2009, 04:23 AM
Yes IMO.

Set Record for most Overtimes in NBA history. Record for Rose in 1st game. Clutch shots throughout the series. Scuffles, flagrants. Trash talk. Controversey. Allen record for most 3's in playoff game. Memorable plays like Noah's dunk....Allen's game winner...Rose's block on Rondo and Scalabrine....Rondo's triple double average...Gordon's game tying 3 in OT

Best series of all time hands down.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-03-2009, 05:16 AM
Nope. No first round series between a 3 and six seed, with the 3 seed missing their most important piece, should be considered the greatest ever.

It would be like putting this years Clipper in a 7 game series with this years Wizards. The games would probably be close as well, probably a little heated, but it would not be the best series ever.

I dont know what is the best series ever. But I know it did not take place in the first round between two teams who have no chance at winning a title in their current states

hockeypro68
05-03-2009, 05:22 AM
I'll just say I don't recall a more exciting, unexpectedly excellent series.

The CrucifiXioN
05-03-2009, 05:53 AM
+1. Garnett or not, this truly was one hell of a series. Neither team might not be winning a title, but that shouldn't take anything away from it IMO.

Joshtd1
05-03-2009, 07:56 AM

Watch the 2006 Spurs-Mavs WC Semi finals if you get a chance, that series was just as good if not better IMO.

PennyMy#1
05-03-2009, 08:33 AM
I didn't vote because both answers weren't right to me. It sure is one of the greatest series I've seen, but I only watch Basketball since about '92. The older guys here will definitley say, that there have been greater series played. As Basketball-Fans all over the world should have enjoyed the BULLS-CELTICS series, I say, it's a series to remember and to give credit to both (!) teams.

dandman1021
05-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Its between this one and San Antonio VS Dallas. Imma give to Chicago VS Boston because it was really unexpected how Chicago kept fighting thier way back in this series. There was so much passion during these past few games it felt like the finals already. Im sad to see this series over.

lil'papi
05-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Nope. No first round series between a 3 and six seed, with the 3 seed missing their most important piece, should be considered the greatest ever.

It would be like putting this years Clipper in a 7 game series with this years Wizards. The games would probably be close as well, probably a little heated, but it would not be the best series ever.

I dont know what is the best series ever. But I know it did not take place in the first round between two teams who have no chance at winning a title in their current states

3 and six ...try 2-7.....

Best series ever, possibly, some of the worst BB I've ever seen , but they both made for a GREAT series.
Doesn't matter where teams are ranked that's absurd. GREAT series doesn't mean the #1and #2 teams it simply means GREAT series from two teams. Bulls are a ton better than their record. Celtics are off their game also with so many injuries.

No Powe really hurts, KG obviously. W/ Powe and KG we would be playing Cleveland for the championship because those would be the BEST two teams in the league. Sorry west..no chance, maybe next year.

It doesn't matter if its early rounds or the finals four OT games almost all nail biters made for a GREAT series. BEST ever...is debatable but not because of when it was played or by whom....

Name a series with four OT games and DO and TO games included. Their have been better played series as far as fundamentals , but drama... no effin way...

JordansBulls
05-03-2009, 09:27 AM
3 and six ...try 2-7.....

Best series ever, possibly, some of the worst BB I've ever seen , but they both made for a GREAT series.
Doesn't matter where teams are ranked that's absurd. GREAT series doesn't mean the #1and #2 teams it simply means GREAT series from two teams. Bulls are a ton better than their record. Celtics are off their game also with so many injuries.

No Powe really hurts, KG obviously. W/ Powe and KG we would be playing Cleveland for the championship because those would be the BEST two teams in the league. Sorry west..no chance, maybe next year.

It doesn't matter if its early rounds or the finals four OT games almost all nail biters made for a GREAT series. BEST ever...is debatable but not because of when it was played or by whom....

Name a series with four OT games and DO and TO games included. Their have been better played series as far as fundamentals , but drama... no effin way...

:clap:

Raps18-19 Champ
05-03-2009, 09:47 AM
1 of the best I can remember.

This series will get its due as 1 of the most exciting, dramatic and unexpected series in NBA history.

DenButsu
05-03-2009, 09:49 AM
No.

It was totally ****ing awesome, and that's an absolute undeniable fact.

But the "best ever"? No way that could be anything but a Finals series.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-03-2009, 10:02 AM
This series would be the best ever if it was a finals game.

JordansBulls
05-03-2009, 10:04 AM
No.

Or even Conference finals.

DynaMike
05-03-2009, 11:58 AM
For the "Bull"eivers

"The Cultivating Hurricane"

At the dawn of the trade deadline, I posted a blog in this forum regarding my disappointment in the Bulls organization. Now, three months advanced, I'm here to exemplify and illustrate my dignified state. In the early season, I would have never guessed we would be instilling fear in the hearts of the Big Green like we have the passed few weeks. The formality of tension has been so fiercely and finely drawn that I feel as if sparks could strike out of the simplest nothing. In these narrow moments I have nearly lost all sense of time and space, and the basketball world has unfurled its' muse of tragedy simultaneously along a meridian absent of axis. In the completion of this hair-trigger series, I feel a sense of contentment; although everything is far from justified. I feel that Bulls fans need put on hold, the blood-lusting wars within themselves that have left us with this pulp and curd. I feel the hideousness of today that we are seething here to emerge in blatant screamers tomorrow. I feel the anguish that has grinded itself out with pestle and swallowed whistles, should be dribbled away fastly breaking.

On the meridian of basketball time, there is vicious injustice harbored by the illusion of the home and away sway. A moral victory is what we have won here. And if we choose to close our eyes to the reality of that reason, we will reduce ourselves to mere shadows. Everything has been endured in this series--Pain, Disgrace, Hostility, Bloodshed, Genesis, Foul Play, and Miracle. We have taken part in one of the most brutally entertaining and gripping matchups in sports history, that I feel is the colossal birth of an immense rivalry. I, for one, am radiant to have been attester. And I can capture comfort in the notion that I sense a natural disaster headed for a certain Garden in Massachusetts. A natural disaster that will send their egos bouncing off their own scorers tables, with no punishment for the guilty. Now the Big Green and their suit-sporting, bench-riding, mouth-incessant ticket machine move on in these energy-charged playoffs, they will wear a Red and White stain in the crevices of their hearts. They will remember the hell-bent beasts they once escaped. Because the trilateral-bitten Celtics didn't beat the Bulls, the trilateral-bitten Celtics survived the Bulls. They will remember that a Rose is progressively blooming in Illinois. A universal, neighborly warning to all the doubters. They will remember how fast October will rise. And give heed to the pestering jilt within them. At this point, the fear will come forth like bile, like the blood borne-pathogens of a swined pig when the carcass is ripped open and airborned, or like the blood that leaks from the white giants' lip at the helm of desperations' fingernails.

We are Bulls fans, and we stick together like-charged atomic nuclei, joined together to form our own Nuclear fusion. With our nucleus heavy, the boys in red will be back. Starving for vengeance, and craving shamrock-shaped catastrophes. Everything Boston and the green-tongued media have thrown our way has been aimed to shred our morale, sour our spirits, and destroy our will. And yet, with the loss of this series nothing has been shredded, nothing soured, nothing destroyed. It has instead snowballed strength, passion and character. It has instead struck fire in the pit of our stomachs. It has instead gouged out the eyes of doubt. It has instead fueled controversy on an everlasting continuum. It has instead shot huge long awaited wods of confidence on the @$$ crack of disbelief. It has instead loaned credulity that maybe these guys are for real. Yes sir, we will be locked and loaded for 2010. For there is a cultivating hurricane brewing, looking to destroy naturally in the Eastern Conference. It will be named --- Chicago

Brooke
05-03-2009, 11:59 AM
It was a fantastic series but best ever? Nope

Eagles_Guy
05-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Great series - best ever...no.

Game 6 was one of the best games I've seen in awhile tho. The Bulls have nothing to be ashamed of, and they are still a young team (well not Lindsey Hunter lol), they'll be back next year.

bahama0811
05-03-2009, 12:04 PM
One of the best series in a while but not the best series ever.

theuuord
05-03-2009, 12:04 PM
It was by far the most competitive series ever.

But it was not the best series ever.

MiamiHeat
05-03-2009, 12:08 PM
best ever? no
great series yeah, I'm just glad is over now because I was tired of hearing about it every second

AllTheWay
05-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Not even close to best ever. It was awesomeness, but not even top 10.

It is one of the best first round series ever though.

J4KOP99
05-03-2009, 01:00 PM
It can't be the best ever without a signature game seven.

If game six was game seven(confusing, i know) then this series could be the best ever but not after the game last night.

MVPedroia
05-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Not even close to best ever. It was awesomeness, but not even top 10.

It is one of the best first round series ever though.

Not even top 10? lmao.

most OT's
most lead changes
most ties

Kyben36
05-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Slighlty disapointed in the last game

dtmagnet
05-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Best that I've ever seen.

Lakersfan2483
05-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Yes IMO.

Set Record for most Overtimes in NBA history. Record for Rose in 1st game. Clutch shots throughout the series. Scuffles, flagrants. Trash talk. Controversey. Allen record for most 3's in playoff game. Memorable plays like Noah's dunk....Allen's game winner...Rose's block on Rondo and Scalabrine....Rondo's triple double average...Gordon's game tying 3 in OT

Best series of all time hands down.

No, not close to being the best series of all time.

pd7631
05-03-2009, 02:15 PM
LMAO at the person who said it was "hands down" the best series ever. There are a couple things going against this series that do not make it the best ever....

1.) No KG....many great series are great because of star power, and without Kevin Garnett the Bulls were facingly a significantly easier Celtics team.

2.) 1st Round....there was not nearly enough riding on this series for it to be considered the greatest ever. Hell, the Mavs vs. Warriors series was just as good if not better IMO because it was an 8th seed WINNING the series against the 1st seed. But the reason why nobody ever talked about that as the greatest series ever was because it was just the 1st round.

It may be the greatest 1st round series ever. But the stakes weren't high enough, the star power wasn't there, and the end game was just a disappointment.

ink
05-03-2009, 02:47 PM
1.) No KG....many great series are great because of star power, and without Kevin Garnett the Bulls were facingly a significantly easier Celtics team.

2.) 1st Round....there was not nearly enough riding on this series for it to be considered the greatest ever. Hell, the Mavs vs. Warriors series was just as good if not better IMO because it was an 8th seed WINNING the series against the 1st seed. But the reason why nobody ever talked about that as the greatest series ever was because it was just the 1st round.

It may be the greatest 1st round series ever. But the stakes weren't high enough, the star power wasn't there, and the end game was just a disappointment.

And I would say that the Mavs-GSW series was better than this one was as a first round series. Neither team was missing a franchise player and they went head to head -- 1st seed against 8th seed. The fact that the Warriors pulled off the upset seals it.

ProdigyI
05-03-2009, 02:50 PM
^Ink im beginning to think you're jay mariotti.

4 OT's in 7 games....one double and one triple......7 total overtime periods in 7 games..... game winning shot in game 2.....

Historical performences throuhgout this series.

Many analysts have been saying this is the best series that they have ever seen. I agree with them.

BostonWeedz
05-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Great playoff series, but to be the best ever I think game 7 would have had to go into overtime as well; or at least be a closer game. One thing I don't understand is from the thread openers sig, how does talking **** makes you the most classless NBA player ever? Do you people watch basketball? It happens every game by every player on the court. You shouldn't let your personal emotions of being pissed when your team is getting beat and the opposing team is talkin **** formulate your opinion on somebody being the most classless player ever. I'd say someone like Sheed or Artest is way more classless than Kevin Garnett.

ink
05-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Ink im beginning to think you're jay mariotti.

Why, because you think I don't like the Bulls? Think again. I've been cheering for the Bulls for a long time. I just agree with a lot of the posters here who say that this was a great series, but not the best ever. :shrug:

And I definitely got turned off by all the hate that happened during this series. I don't care what fan base hate comes from, it's all a huge turnoff. I like the sport and what happens on the court.

pd7631
05-03-2009, 03:07 PM
^Ink im beginning to think you're jay mariotti.

4 OT's in 7 games....one double and one triple......7 total overtime periods in 7 games..... game winning shot in game 2.....

Historical performences throuhgout this series.

Many analysts have been saying this is the best series that they have ever seen. I agree with them.

Then you are either a homer, or you are just buying into the how the media pushes things like this on us. ESPN was talking about this being the greatest series ever after GAME 5!

ESPN and the media in general, jump on every storyline they can to try and blow it out of proportion so that people like us buy into the garbage that they display.

I'd give the media more credibility if they were to bring this subject up after the series had ended, but the fact that they were talking about this being the best series after just 5 games should tell you something about how society works these days.

If ESPN didn't ask the question "is this the best playoff series ever?", would you have thought it was the best ever?

pd7631
05-03-2009, 03:08 PM
It was an amazing series. Maybe the best 1st round series ever. But it's not even close to the greatest series of all time.

ProdigyI
05-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Then you are either a homer, or you are just buying into the how the media pushes things like this on us. ESPN was talking about this being the greatest series ever after GAME 5!

ESPN and the media in general, jump on every storyline they can to try and blow it out of proportion so that people like us buy into the garbage that they display.

I'd give the media more credibility if they were to bring this subject up after the series had ended, but the fact that they were talking about this being the best series after just 5 games should tell you something about how society works these days.

If ESPN didn't ask the question "is this the best playoff series ever?", would you have thought it was the best ever?

:laugh: Thank you, you just made my sig.

Either you didn't watch any of this series or you are a full on Bulls hater.

There were 4 overtimes in this series. A triple and a double on top of that.

pd7631
05-03-2009, 03:16 PM

I watched every game of this series, and I'm not a full on Bulls hater. I just don't think it's the "greatest series ever." I've stated my reasons why I don't believe it's the greatest series ever, and I find it even to be even less of a great series because of how ESPN beat the idea of this series being the best ever, over all of our heads for the last 4-5 days.

ink
05-03-2009, 03:18 PM

What's wrong with anything he wrote? There's nothing in his post that makes him a hater.

ProdigyI
05-03-2009, 03:22 PM
I watched every game of this series, and I'm not a full on Bulls hater. I just don't think it's the "greatest series ever." I've stated my reasons why I don't believe it's the greatest series ever, and I find it even to be even less of a great series because of how ESPN beat the idea of this series being the best ever, over all of our heads for the last 4-5 days.

They "beat" the idea because it is one of the greatest series of all time :laugh: What are they supposed to do? Give them 5 seconds of airtime for a series that will be remembered for years to come?

ESPN didn't try to "beat" it to us. The play of those two teams on the court.....the minutes they were averaging in those 7 games...they "beat" it to us. Their play "beat" it to us.

ink
05-03-2009, 03:34 PM
They "beat" the idea because it is one of the greatest series of all time

In your opinion it was. That's fine. It was a great series. pd7631 is entitled to his opinion too. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that ESPN over-hypes things a bit. People have been saying that in Lebron threads all year. ESPN likes to push the popularity of the sport.

Ni55anpat
05-03-2009, 03:41 PM
If this is not, then what is/was?

ProdigyI
05-03-2009, 03:41 PM
In your opinion it was. That's fine. It was a great series. pd7631 is entitled to his opinion too. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that ESPN over-hypes things a bit. People have been saying that in Lebron threads all year. ESPN likes to push the popularity of the sport.

I agree they like to hype things.... But there was nothing to try to hype about this series. Their play on the court basically hyped it for themseleves. Their clutch shots throughout the series hyped it for themselves. When you have 4 OT games and another game winner in 7 games.....there's nothing to do but ESPN to hype it.

But if you think that ESPN hyped this series when it shouldn't have been hyped, then you're wrong....IMO

pd7631
05-03-2009, 03:44 PM
They "beat" the idea because it is one of the greatest series of all time :laugh: What are they supposed to do? Give them 5 seconds of airtime for a series that will be remembered for years to come?

ESPN didn't try to "beat" it to us. The play of those two teams on the court.....the minutes they were averaging in those 7 games...they "beat" it to us. Their play "beat" it to us.

I never said it wasn't a great series....but you asked if it was the greatest series, and I said no. If you didn't want other people's opinion on whether or not it was the greatest series ever, then you shouldn't have asked the question.

If this was a 2nd round, ECF, or Finals series, then I'd be hard pressed not to call this the greatest series ever. But the fact that it was the 1st round is why I don't believe it can be considered the greatest ever.

Here are 3 series that I'd take over the C's and Bulls:

Lakers vs. Kings WCF 2002
Lakers vs. Blazers WCF 2000
Bulls vs. Jazz NBA Finals 1998

the stakes were high, there was star power, and they provided some unbelievable shots/plays

pd7631
05-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Believe me, when I was watching this series I was absolutely amazed. It had bad blood, 50 point performances, amazing clutch shots, and more. Before every game of this series I made it a point to myself earlier in the day, "I got to get _____ done before the Bulls and Celtics game tonight". It was an amazing series.

But that doesn't mean that there hasn't been many other playoff series' that have been just as good if not better, and a lot has to due with how high the stakes are in the series that's being played.

Again, if this was a conference finals or nba finals series, then it would be have to be up there.

Lakersfan2483
05-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Great series, but definitely "not" the best ever.

ProdigyI
05-03-2009, 04:06 PM
I never said it wasn't a great series....but you asked if it was the greatest series, and I said no. If you didn't want other people's opinion on whether or not it was the greatest series ever, then you shouldn't have asked the question.

If this was a 2nd round, ECF, or Finals series, then I'd be hard pressed not to call this the greatest series ever. But the fact that it was the 1st round is why I don't believe it can be considered the greatest ever.

Here are 3 series that I'd take over the C's and Bulls:

Lakers vs. Kings WCF 2002
Lakers vs. Blazers WCF 2000
Bulls vs. Jazz NBA Finals 1998

the stakes were high, there was star power, and they provided some unbelievable shots/plays

I don't care whether you think it's the greatest season or not. It's your opinion, that's why i made a poll

You're opinion got on my nerves, because you thought that it wasn't a great series because ESPN was hyping it and blaming the media and so on, which is kind of :crazy: Who cares if they were hyping it because it was an epic series, Just watch it and enjoy.:) A great series for the ages is going to get media attention. Deal with it.

CubsBearsBulls
05-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Believe me, when I was watching this series I was absolutely amazed. It had bad blood, 50 point performances, amazing clutch shots, and more. Before every game of this series I made it a point to myself earlier in the day, "I got to get _____ done before the Bulls and Celtics game tonight". It was an amazing series.

But that doesn't mean that there hasn't been many other playoff series' that have been just as good if not better, and a lot has to due with how high the stakes are in the series that's being played.

Again, if this was a conference finals or nba finals series, then it would be have to be up there.

The question for you is, why do want AI back on Philly?

NYMetros
05-03-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't think so.
Mainly because it was only the 1st round and the Bulls and Celtics aren't the best teams in the NBA. But in terms of excitement, yeah, it was fantastic.

pd7631
05-03-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't care whether you think it's the greatest season or not. It's your opinion, that's why i made a poll

You're opinion got on my nerves, because you thought that it wasn't a great series because ESPN was hyping it, which is kind of :crazy: Who cares if they were hyping it because it was an epic series, just watch it and enjoy.

You took exception to my first post, in which I didn't once mention how the media was fueling the series. So what that says to me is that you just got ticked off that I didn't agree with you that it's the greatest series ever.

How many times do I have to say that it was an amazing series before you stop *****ing about the fact that I don't think it was the greatest series ever. If you don't care about whether or not I think it's the greatest series ever, then stop complaining when I state my opinion.

ProdigyI
05-03-2009, 04:17 PM
You took exception to my first post, in which I didn't once mention how the media was fueling the series. So what that says to me is that you just got ticked off that I didn't agree with you that it's the greatest series ever.

How many times do I have to say that it was an amazing series before you stop *****ing about the fact that I don't think it was the greatest series ever. If you don't care about whether or not I think it's the greatest series ever, then stop crying like baby when I state my opinion.

You were complaining about the media, and accusing me of being a homer because I think this was the greatest series of all time.....first.

And then you basically suggested that I thought this was the greatest Series of all time because of ESPN and the poll they had about it....

Then I responded.

pd7631
05-03-2009, 04:19 PM
The question for you is, why do want AI back on Philly?

A lot of reasons:

1.) He's my favorite player of all time, and he would be coming back to my favorite team

2.) He would replace Willie Green as the starting SG on the team

3.) He's tough as nails, gives 100% effort on the court every night, and I've never seen the Sixers play as lifeless with AI as they played in Game 6 against Orlando

4.) His style of play would be a good fit. He can get into the lane and draw a help defender which would lead to easy buckets for guys like Andre Iguodala and Elton Brand when they dive to the basket

I think a lot of people are putting too much into this one bad year for AI. Everyone is so concerned with "what have you done for me lately" that they look past all the great things he did during his time in Philly.

ink
05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
OK guys that's enough. People are entitled to their opinions right?

pd7631
05-03-2009, 04:22 PM
LMAO at the person who said it was "hands down" the best series ever. There are a couple things going against this series that do not make it the best ever....

^^
This was my first post in this thread. Please tell me where I mentioned ESPN or the media in this post like you said I did...

ProdigyI
05-03-2009, 04:43 PM
^ I never responded to that post man. your first post between us is on the top of page 3.

CubsBearsBulls
05-03-2009, 08:01 PM
A lot of reasons:

1.) He's my favorite player of all time, and he would be coming back to my favorite team

2.) He would replace Willie Green as the starting SG on the team

3.) He's tough as nails, gives 100% effort on the court every night, and I've never seen the Sixers play as lifeless with AI as they played in Game 6 against Orlando

4.) His style of play would be a good fit. He can get into the lane and draw a help defender which would lead to easy buckets for guys like Andre Iguodala and Elton Brand when they dive to the basket

I think a lot of people are putting too much into this one bad year for AI. Everyone is so concerned with "what have you done for me lately" that they look past all the great things he did during his time in Philly.

I just don't see him bringing the 76ers any closer to a championship.

superkegger
05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
No.

x2

still1ballin
05-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Close

Afridi786
05-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Best first round series ever hands down. The Mavs GS wasn't even close if I remember correctly...Warriors won fairly easily.