PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather vs Juan Manuel Marquez july 17 2009

EddieB
05-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Per HBO

I don't like this fight for JMM, he's probably going up in weight at 147, and he's probably a natural 135 and coming off a lost, but Ill still root for JMM, he's a warrior

lakers4sho
05-03-2009, 01:15 AM
rooting for Marquez as well...

Raps18-19 Champ
05-03-2009, 01:17 AM
JMM won his last match. It was against Diaz.

I still see Mayweather winning. Unless he got rusty while on retirement.

974life
05-03-2009, 04:07 PM
JMM will knockout mayweather! Mayweather hasnt fought anyone with the style of JMM. I also say this because Marquez is relentless in his attack, he'll take some punches but always keeps punching and fights with heart.

ULT WARRIOR408
05-05-2009, 11:38 PM
JMM will knockout mayweather! Mayweather hasnt fought anyone with the style of JMM. I also say this because Marquez is relentless in his attack, he'll take some punches but always keeps punching and fights with heart.

hell naw mayweather is not gonna get knocked out.
yeah he's been away for about a year & a half but he's still got.
he's gonna do what he dose best stick & move all night slowly wearing him down then move in for the kill wich will result in him knocking jmm the hell out.:box::nod:

H.E.R.
05-06-2009, 12:35 AM
I want a good fight, but Marquez showed his counterpunching skills and some of his general boxing skills are deteriorating in his last two fights with the added weight. Moving up a weight class and a half isn't going to help him. The only real advantage he has is Mayweather's long layoff. I have Mayweather by TKO in the middle rounds.

TheRedMarauder
05-06-2009, 08:52 AM
The added weight will be too much for Marquez.

NinerNation
05-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Ill be there!! Just got back from the Hatton fight this past weekend. I'm a golden boy guy since De La Hoya has been my favorite fighter over the years, so Ill definitely be rooting for JMM. However, if mayweather is anything of his former self, I'll go into the fight with the same expectations I had with Hatton; I love the guy, but can't see him pulling off the upset. My only hope is that Mayweather won't be the same, and since the fight is in two months, it might not give him enough time to get back to peak form.

LakersDudeee
05-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Honestly, rootin' for Mayweather on this one. Don't like his personality though.. he's a douche bag and i'm sure a lot of people can agree with me on that. Only reason why I'd want Mayweather to win this one is so that Pacquiao will have the fuel to be the only fighter to beat him in a 12 round series or a KO would be really nice, and still claim the name of being the best pound 4 pound fighter. Would also love to see the interview after the fight w/ Pacquiao. Haha.

H.E.R.
05-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Ugh...as if I didn't like Marquez's chances at 143-144 already, the fight's been set at Welterweight 147.
http://www.ringtv.com/blog/682/marquezs_disadvantages_are_increasing/

NYKnickFanatic
05-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Its not the 17th...

And Im going for JMM.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-22-2009, 02:38 AM
Marquez is coming off the 3 best fights of his Career

Losing by split to Pacman after being dropped twice...

looked very impressive against Cassamayor 10th round KO

Dropped Baby Bull Diaz twice as well and looked even more impressive in this fight.

JMM beats Mayweather by decision.

VIVA MEXICO!!

albertc86
05-29-2009, 12:30 AM
He'll probably be a little slower but stronger than Mayweather.

2009mvp
05-29-2009, 12:53 AM
^^How exactly do you figure a natural lightweight will be stronger than Mayweather at 147? If JMM wants to/is forced to be the aggresor, Mayweather will walk away with this fight. Really, it's tough to imagine a scenario where Marquez wins this one, not at welterweight.

ULT WARRIOR408
05-29-2009, 08:53 AM
^^How exactly do you figure a natural lightweight will be stronger than Mayweather at 147? If JMM wants to/is forced to be the aggresor, Mayweather will walk away with this fight. Really, it's tough to imagine a scenario where Marquez wins this one, not at welterweight.

:clap::clap::clap:

Mwizards23
06-13-2009, 10:45 PM
mayweather all da way

Mwizards23
06-13-2009, 10:46 PM
any one know some notable fights so i can watch marquez

H.E.R.
06-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Mayweather-Marquez postponed due to rib injury suffered by Mayweather during training.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4258073

jetsforever
06-16-2009, 01:06 AM
postponed. Mayweather got hurt

ahhhh HER Beat me to it :p

H.E.R.
06-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Haha better luck next time, jetsforever...

I'm willing to give Mayweather the benefit of the doubt and say his injury is 100% legitimate. However, the timing of this announcement leaves something to think about. Early ticket sales were reported to be less than stellar and it didn't look like PPV buys would be any better so they could move in towards the Mexican Independence Day in September. There was also a rumor that Arum said he was willing to lower the purse split to 50-50 though that may be out of the question since they're looking at a fight with Cotto now in November and waiting for Mayweather with or without the postponed fight will take longer.

So did Mayweather back out of his Marquez fight to save himself from the embarrassment of not being the draw he claims he is and fight Pacquiao instead? It would be a huge slap in the face to Marquez if he were to back out of their fight and launch a campaign to fight Pacquiao, but it is the fight everyone wants to see. Again though, I'll take it at face value and say Mayweather is really injured and they just postponed the fight.

Mwizards23
06-16-2009, 01:50 PM

Marquez fights like hatton and he stopped hatton in the match and when hatton fought marquez Hatton won that fight.do you watch boxing at all

H.E.R.
06-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Marquez fights like hatton and he stopped hatton in the match and when hatton fought marquez Hatton won that fight.do you watch boxing at all

Haha...no he doesn't.

2009mvp
06-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Really, looking at the welterweight division and knowing Pacquiao should be willing to make a catch weight against a couple of these guys, despite being a top-5 p4p fighter in the world Marquez doesn't really fit in with the most appealing fights right now. Yes, fight fans would love Pacman/JMM III, but that's not gonna draw the peripheral fans that Mayweather/Pacquaio will, or Mosley/Pacquaio, or even Cotto/Pacquaio. Still, I don't know if I'd put anything past the manipulative scum-bag Ellerbe but I've been saying the same thing, unless there's a reason to believe otherwise I'll continue to believe it's a legitimate injury.

Mwizards23
06-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Haha...no he doesn't.

you mean o say that no one brings the fight like marqez no one does it like hatton and anyone can tell you how close he came to winning.If mayweather can find the way against hatton why cant he against marquez.you guys seriously doubt how smart mayweather is.there is a reason why he is a a+ boxer

H.E.R.
06-16-2009, 07:26 PM
you mean o say that no one brings the fight like marqez no one does it like hatton and anyone can tell you how close he came to winning.If mayweather can find the way against hatton why cant he against marquez.you guys seriously doubt how smart mayweather is.there is a reason why he is a a+ boxer

I've never doubted Mayweather once in this bout...his chances of winning the fight, which I thought this was a dumb fight to begin with, and his injury. You said Marquez fights like Hatton. No one will agree to that. Style alone, Hatton is a slightly aggressive brawler and Marquez is a slow starting elite counterpuncher. They're two completely different boxers.

Mwizards23
06-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I've never doubted Mayweather once in this bout...his chances of winning the fight, which I thought this was a dumb fight to begin with, and his injury. You said Marquez fights like Hatton. No one will agree to that. Style alone, Hatton is a slightly aggressive brawler and Marquez is a slow starting elite counterpuncher. They're two completely different boxers.

so you mean to say hatton is not a elite puncher as well they may not be the same all the way but you can not say hatton isnt a elite puncher.Plus Marquez does fight aggressive.in his fights against Pacman and diaz and chris john look it up.But you mean he can beat mayweather there is a reason why he is undafeated.i aint alling you a hata but no one seems to respect that.they Hoya and ndou and Chico were going to win and they didnt.they said hatton punches was going to be too much and what hapen

H.E.R.
06-16-2009, 11:01 PM
so you mean to say hatton is not a elite puncher as well they may not be the same all the way but you can not say hatton isnt a elite puncher.

In terms of strength, Hatton is the stronger puncher. Marquez is a much better accurate puncher. Marquez's defense is much better than Hatton's also. Hatton likes to work the inside of the ring where Marquez is more of a perimeter man where he makes the opponent come to him.

Plus Marquez does fight aggressive.in his fights against Pacman and diaz and chris john look it up.

Yeah...he starts aggressiveness with counterpunching and reflexes. He's incredibly different from Hatton.

But you mean he can beat mayweather there is a reason why he is undafeated.i aint alling you a hata but no one seems to respect that.

When did I say Marquez would beat him? I clearly stated I never doubted Mayweather's chances on this fight. Let me make this clearer...I had Mayweather winning this fight so much that I thought it was a stupid fight to begin with.

they Hoya and ndou and Chico were going to win and they didnt.they said hatton punches was going to be too much and what hapen

Mayweather hasn't stepped into the ring where there could be a chance he might lose since 2002 when he fought Castillo. I know you're a Mayweather fan, but that's truth. That's something you have to accept.

Mwizards23
06-17-2009, 03:20 AM
In terms of strength, Hatton is the stronger puncher. Marquez is a much better accurate puncher. Marquez's defense is much better than Hatton's also. Hatton likes to work the inside of the ring where Marquez is more of a perimeter man where he makes the opponent come to him.

Yeah...he starts aggressiveness with counterpunching and reflexes. He's incredibly different from Hatton.

When did I say Marquez would beat him? I clearly stated I never doubted Mayweather's chances on this fight. Let me make this clearer...I had Mayweather winning this fight so much that I thought it was a stupid fight to begin with.

Mayweather hasn't stepped into the ring where there could be a chance he might lose since 2002 when he fought Castillo. I know you're a Mayweather fan, but that's truth. That's something you have to accept.

yea true but hpfeully he wont

H.E.R.
08-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Fight will be screening in theaters at $15 a ticket
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4419934

List of theaters showcasing the fight:
http://www.ncm.com/FathomContent/PDF/Participating%20Theatres_MVM_0829009.pdf

INeedMyJays
08-25-2009, 12:34 AM
Fight's September 19th. "Juan Manuel Dinamita Marquez!!!" The only big name fighters i can think off the top of my head that Mayweather has fought are Hatton, Judah, and De La Hoya. I'm not saying he's gonna lose, I'm just rooting for JMM.

NCBoSoxfan21
08-25-2009, 06:58 PM
JMM will only win because of the circumstances. Either the rib doesn't heal fully or Floyd isn't back into it yet. I'm betting on Money.

SeeMeSawYou
08-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Everyone's slidin to the JMM side of this fight...I still dont see Pretty Boy losing...itll be a great fight...Floyd in a split decision

2009mvp
08-30-2009, 01:23 AM
^^Who's everyone? The chips have been stacked in Mayweather's favor since the contract was signed. JMM's a great fighter but at that weight Floyd's got no excuse for losing.

Havoc Wreaker
09-09-2009, 02:40 PM
JMM Drinks his own Pee.....Ew

The Schmooze
09-10-2009, 09:01 AM
JMM Drinks his own Pee.....Ew

My god I just saw that last night...what is he out of his effen mind?

Havoc Wreaker
09-10-2009, 02:43 PM
:laugh2:

I guess all those punches to his head are starting to take effect.

steelcityroller
09-10-2009, 06:02 PM

There are several fighters that do that in both boxing and mma. Lyoto Machida and Phillipe Nover do it in mma for some weird reason.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Isn't urine toxic?

Ragan
09-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Isn't urine toxic?

They say its because you lose protein and vitamins when you pee, so they put them back in their system. Personally I'd rather drink a protein shake, but hey to each his own.

I was gonna put big money on Floyd until I saw that the line on him is -500!! Marquez is not a 5/1 underdog in this fight, no way. I expect Floyd to win, but he is not knocking JMM out, plain and simple. This is a decision fight (Vegas agrees, setting the o/u at 11 1/2 rounds), and decisions are tricky things. Floyd has escaped with a few splits decisions in his day (and Marquez has been on the wrong side of a few bad ones), so if it's close who knows.

I say Floyd in a unanimous decision, but I'm not confident enough to bet on it with those odds.

ccspence8
09-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Marquez is coming off the 3 best fights of his Career

Losing by split to Pacman after being dropped twice...

looked very impressive against Cassamayor 10th round KO

Dropped Baby Bull Diaz twice as well and looked even more impressive in this fight.

JMM beats Mayweather by decision.

VIVA MEXICO!!

They're never going to give the decision to JMM just because it is Mayweather. He's gonna have to knock him out and I just don't see it happening. Should be a good fight though.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-15-2009, 09:20 PM
JMM looks like the nicest guy in the world and I hate when Mayweather talks but Mayweather is better and a biggest match to Pacman. And after Pacman vs Mayweather, Pacman should fight JMM.

Johnny_Chingas
09-17-2009, 03:06 AM
I'm making my decision on how they fared out with some opponents:

Mayweather vs Hatton- Mayweather TKO in the 11th I believe

Hatton VS Pac Man- Pacman owning Hatton

Marquez VS Pac Man- an all out war.. top 5 fight in my book- draw

Marquez VS Pac Man II- Split Pac Man (IMO should have gone to Marquez)

conclusion: JMM wins this fight in by 11 round TKO

Vegas is STUNNED

Ragan
09-17-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm making my decision on how they fared out with some opponents:

Mayweather vs Hatton- Mayweather TKO in the 11th I believe

Hatton VS Pac Man- Pacman owning Hatton

Marquez VS Pac Man- an all out war.. top 5 fight in my book- draw

Marquez VS Pac Man II- Split Pac Man (IMO should have gone to Marquez)

conclusion: JMM wins this fight in by 11 round TKO

Vegas is STUNNED

Mayweather owned Hatton too, he's just not the aggressive KO puncher than Pacquiao is. Hatton was never in that fight. Pacquaio was also a much better matchup for JMM than Mayweather. Pacman would stand in and fight which works for JMM cuz he can absorb some hits and dish out his own, but he won’t get that chance with Floyd. Floyd doesn’t like to go toe-to-toe and he’s so quick that JMM will have to adapt to what Floyd does rather than the other way around.

PBF in a decision. Cannot wait for this fight.

2009mvp
09-17-2009, 01:22 PM
When one guy's bigger, stronger and faster than the other man I think it's safe to throw all the analysis out the door. As great a fighter as he is JMM just doesn't stand much of a chance here.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Can someone send me a link come fight night?

CountSackula
09-18-2009, 04:13 AM
Juan Marquez drinks his own pee...he's gonna win. Powered by piss.

2009mvp
09-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the televised undercard is being hyped up way more than it warrants? I can see people being excited by John/Juarez II, but I fully expect John to outbox him and cruise to a UD. Katsidis/Escobedo could be the best fight of the night with their styles, though it's possible Escobedo's able to outbox him all night as well. Lock/Cruz shouldn't even be televised IMO, but I suppose you could do worse after Judah pulled out. Lock's more than likely simply outclassed here.

My predictions for the hell of it:

Mayweather UD 12 Marquez
John UD 12 Juarez
Escobedo KO 7 Katsidis
Cruz UD Lock

Raps18-19 Champ
09-18-2009, 06:41 PM
They are saying that there is a controversy.

Mayweather weighed in at 146 and Marquez 142. They said that the weigh limit was suppose to be 145.

H.E.R.
09-18-2009, 07:18 PM
They are saying that there is a controversy.

Mayweather weighed in at 146 and Marquez 142. They said that the weigh limit was suppose to be 145.

It was actually 144.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-box-mayweather-marquez-weigh-in,0,1329520.story

Marquez will probably accept financial compensation. He's not going to turn down the biggest payday of his career.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-18-2009, 08:26 PM
^

You have a good point. But that means Mayweather is almost automatic to win.

2009mvp
09-19-2009, 02:03 AM
From what I've read/heard the fight could only be canceled if one man was over the welterweight limit, but penalties would be paid if one is over 144. I don't know how reliable my ears are anymore, but I'm almost certain I heard Joe Tessitore say something about $600k going JMM's way on FNF tonight. I suppose this only adds to Floyd's ever-apparent physical advantages though.

H.E.R.
09-19-2009, 02:31 AM
^

You have a good point. But that means Mayweather is almost automatic to win.

Could it have been predetermined and Mayweather knew all along and is trying to protect that 0? Did he just buy an advantage?

From what I've read/heard the fight could only be canceled if one man was over the welterweight limit, but penalties would be paid if one is over 144. I don't know how reliable my ears are anymore, but I'm almost certain I heard Joe Tessitore say something about $600k going JMM's way on FNF tonight. I suppose this only adds to Floyd's ever-apparent physical advantages though.

You're correct. The fight might have been canceled if the weight limit was still 144. Mayweather would've been given an hour to lose the necessary weight to get under the limit. If he had not done that, Marquez would've been given the choice to accept financial compensation or decline the fight altogether. However, the limit was raised to 147. Mayweather didn't have to lose the weight, but Marquez had the choice to go through it or not, which I'm believing he is.

You are also correct on the monetary amount. $300,000 per pound over the limit was the contracted amount.

2009mvp
09-19-2009, 02:31 AM
http://i29.tinypic.com/1zr2gao.gif

:laugh2: Though I'd share.

BenFrank
09-19-2009, 12:46 PM
^ that is sick!

Kakaroach
09-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Ahhahahahah Marquez drinks piss. I'm not a fan of boxing but Maywheather is more full of **** than my own Bengal Chad OchoCinco. Should be exciting to see the highlights on SportsCenter later that night.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Someone really needs to send me a link now.

My satellite is down and can't be fixed on time.

If someone could send a link, I would greatly appreciate it.

jetsforever
09-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Mayweather wins it tonight. I think it will be a very boring match tbh.

The GEEEEE Men
09-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Here we go!!!!

Havoc Wreaker
09-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Barring a miracle punch...Marquez has no chance

The GEEEEE Men
09-20-2009, 12:18 AM
yea this fight is all 1 sided

IDB Josh M
09-20-2009, 12:21 AM
Looks like Pacquiao is gonna have his work cut out for him if and when he fights Mayweather.

xSolidx
09-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Mayweather dominated

Had him winning 118-09, exactly like one of the other judges

Marquez is lucky i even gave him 2 round though

BenFrank
09-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Marquez was no where in Mayweather's league

robdizzle3
09-20-2009, 01:01 AM
It was so fun to see the bar getting silent when Mayweather took Marquez to school.Mayweather is still the best and if Pac can get past Cotto,we all will asking when will those two meet up.

iggypop123
09-20-2009, 01:12 AM
how about he fights somebody his own size

H.E.R.
09-20-2009, 01:27 AM
Yawn...boring and predictable. Mayweather and Mosley looking at each other was more entertaining.

2009mvp
09-20-2009, 03:24 AM
A 12% connect rate is embarrassingly low, regardless of size. Obviously not the ideal opponent, but just watching Mayweather it's tough to envision a style that can beat him. Of course, Mosley and Pacman are both guys who've got the speed to keep up with Floyd which should certainly help.

Sports Illustrator
09-20-2009, 08:33 AM
LAS VEGAS (AP)—Money came back with a guarantee. Floyd Mayweather Jr. told the world he was still its best boxer despite taking 21 months off, and he backed up every boast with every jab in an impressive victory.

Although next time out, hopefully he’ll pick on somebody his own size.

Mayweather overpowered the smaller, lighter Juan Manuel Marquez for an unanimous decision Saturday night, maintaining his perfect record in his comeback from retirement.

Mayweather knocked down Marquez in the second round and then peppered him with countless damaging shots to remain unbeaten (40-0, 25 KOs). Still, his impressive effort couldn’t be viewed without weighing the obvious disadvantages in height and strength faced by the talented Marquez, a 130-pounder just 18 months ago who moved up two weight classes for this once-in-a-career payday at the MGM Grand Garden.

“Marquez is tough as nails,” Mayweather said. “He’s a great little man. He was really hard to fight, and he kept taking some unbelievable shots.”

At Friday’s weigh-in, Marquez (50-5-1) was four pounds lighter than Mayweather, who paid a $600,000 penalty for missing the bout weight of 144 pounds. Simple physics took over from there. Though Marquez stayed on his feet for 12 one-sided rounds, Money Mayweather’s win was never in doubt.

“He’s a great small man,” Mayweather said. “Don’t forget, I came from a small weight class too, so I know when you’re in front of a great fighter. I think he brought his best tonight.”

From Yahoo Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ap-mayweather-marquez&prov=ap&type=lgns)

H.E.R.
09-20-2009, 11:33 AM
A 12% connect rate is embarrassingly low, regardless of size.

It certainly affects a guy who isn't even a natural lightweight against a natural welterweight. He looked even slower than he did against Casamayor and Diaz. For a counterpuncher without speed, what the hell are you?

TopsyTurvy
09-20-2009, 12:33 PM
If Floyd took that fight last night seriously, I couldn't see it going beyond round four or five. A fight with Pacman will boil down to whether Floyd trains hard enough to win.

Ragan
09-21-2009, 01:56 PM
To me Floyd looked as good as he ever has. Despite the glaring size differential, JMM was still the toughest fighter he's faced in years, and that fight was an absolute joke. Floyd would have had more difficulty with Nacho Bernstein than he did Marquez. Great showing.

2009mvp
09-22-2009, 12:48 AM
^^I think Manny Steward was right, I watched the Corrales fight recently and that's the most well rounded Floyd I've ever seen. The defense was incredible against JMM no doubt, but you do take into account that Floyd had all the advantages. Chico was by far the bigger man (at least 10 lbs after Diego rehydrated to over 155) with the height and reach advantage yet Floyd was able to work him over with the jab then start pounding him with quick hooks. Was able to go in for the KO as well. Glad people are remembering how special a talent Floyd is, but he's gonna have to prove his worth against one of Mosley, or the winner of Pacman/Cotto.

2009mvp
09-22-2009, 12:51 AM
It certainly affects a guy who isn't even a natural lightweight against a natural welterweight. He looked even slower than he did against Casamayor and Diaz. For a counterpuncher without speed, what the hell are you?

No doubt, but JMM and Berstain were steadfast in their belief that they could keep Floyd in the middle of the ring and hurt him. They and many experts obviously underestimated Floyd's speed. It's not like he hasn't dominated defensively like this before, even against a true welterweight with speed in Judah.

H.E.R.
09-28-2009, 04:51 PM
No doubt, but JMM and Berstain were steadfast in their belief that they could keep Floyd in the middle of the ring and hurt him. They and many experts obviously underestimated Floyd's speed. It's not like he hasn't dominated defensively like this before, even against a true welterweight with speed in Judah.

I'll respond to this like I did in the other thrad. My point of view was Marquez didn't look his best going from 130 to 135. No way in hell was he going to move up and fight a guy two weight classes above and be able to beat him, especially since when he had no experience above 135. This fight was a glorified tuneup. I said this from the beginning. Mayweather needs to fight guys that have actually fought at the welterweight class to prove something to me.