PDA

View Full Version : If McGrady went to college, would he be so injury plagued?

HoosierDaddy
05-02-2009, 07:42 PM
He wouldn't have jumped into an 82 games season right after high school. He would have college strength and conditioning coaches getting him stronger and developing his game. The college season isn't close to as long as the pro season. I think he'd still be a dominant player today, had he gone to college. Plus, he's not really that old today, but has played so many NBA seasons.

What do you guys think?

Also, another example is Jermaine O'neal

PS. . and how do you guys make a signature or whatever

BostonWeedz
05-02-2009, 08:09 PM
I don't know if he would've been less injury prone, I'm going to say probably not. NBA strength training coaches can't be worse then college, if anything they'd be better. I do however think he would've developed a better game as a player had he attended college for a few years.

IndiansFan337
05-02-2009, 08:15 PM
He wouldn't have jumped into an 82 games season right after high school. He would have college strength and conditioning coaches getting him stronger and developing his game. The college season isn't close to as long as the pro season. I think he'd still be a dominant player today, had he gone to college. Plus, he's not really that old today, but has played so many NBA seasons.

What do you guys think?

I don't believe there is any correlation. Look at Kobe, KG (until this season), Howard & LeBron. Those guys have been models of good health. And they all came out of HS.

The only thing that I will say about McGrady is that he likely would have developed more strength had he attended college. And that may have helped him in the NBA. But Jermaine O'Neal is very strong & that hasn't stopped his knees from causing problems. Strength from weight training can help you avoid some injuries, but I don't feel that knee injuries can be avoided that way. Knee injuries are the result of constant running & jumping that these players do on an everyday basis.

I currently am going though a knee injury myself (not the extent of these two men), and it sure is a work in progress. It takes a lot of time to heal. And it is hard to be patient while it gets the necessary rest needed to heal properly.

NYtilIdie
05-02-2009, 08:15 PM
No it probably doesn't make a difference you have guys like Kobe,LeBron,Garnett who came out of HS and aren't injury prone.

Bulls4Lyfe
05-02-2009, 08:25 PM
I don't know if he would've been less injury prone, I'm going to say probably not. NBA strength training coaches can't be worse then college, if anything they'd be better. I do however think he would've developed a better game as a player had he attended college for a few years.

C'mon, he was one of the best players in the league before his injury issues, scoring champ and all.

superkegger
05-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Going or not going to college had no effect. Especially if you bring up JO as a point. He rode pine for 4 years, if anything not going to college should have prolonged his career and peak. Injuries happen, college or no college has no effect. Grant Hill played 4 years of college, and is one of the most injury plagued players in recent memory.

Chronz
05-03-2009, 12:55 AM
Im sure there is some effect from playing so many minutes so early in your career but nothing to account for how badly Tmacs body has reacted. A more accurate guess is that its just his genetics, hes had a curvature in his spine since he was drafted, he didnt expect to last long in the league so he had to make his splash early, some bad back problems (after the best offseason of his career) limited his offseason regimens to a specific area of his body from there on after. The dude is really the most unlucky star to ever grace the hardwood. Im glad he never went to college cuz then I wouldve missed out on some of the best basketball Ive ever witnessed early in his career. And to his credit, yes his prime was cut short, but the way he adapted to his physical limitations and remained an All-NBA caliber player throughout his decline has been impressive to atleast garner some kind of recognition. Then again, hes never been out the first round, and in the mind of the putrid thats all there is to it. Ignorance knows no bounds, Tmac haters are proof.

On the plus side, had he gone to college he wouldve never met his weight trainer, if youve ever seen Tmac's workout videos you'll know the poor form Im talking about. That couldnt have helped Tmac's back at all.

HiphopRelated
05-03-2009, 12:58 AM
people just try to correlate anything

IndyRealist
05-03-2009, 10:57 AM
I think the proper comparison would be to Grant Hill, as they both have the same body type and style of play. Grant Hill went to Duke before the NBA and still had an injury plagued career. So while going to college -might- have helped, it isn't necessarily so.

atl_braves_fan
05-03-2009, 11:31 AM
I don't think it had any effect. He actually is very strong, he just can't stay healthy with back and knee issues. It happens to lots of guys college or not. Larry Johnson had a similar back issue end his career and he went to college and I don't think that anyone would question his strength.

superkegger
05-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Bill Walton also went for 4 years of college, and his career was destroyed by injury.

There is no correlation between going to college or not and what the chances for major career threatening injuires.

BostonWeedz
05-03-2009, 07:30 PM
C'mon, he was one of the best players in the league before his injury issues, scoring champ and all.

Did I say that he wasn't a good player? Look at his stats the first few years he was in the league and they weren't too impressive. All I was saying is that if he went to college he would've developed a better game which would have made him be more productive his first few seasons in the league.

The CrucifiXioN
05-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I don't think it would have changed a thing. Even if he had gone to college, he would have probably still been just as injury plagued. Genetics has a lot more to do with it than just coming straight out of high school.

Kyle N.
05-03-2009, 07:50 PM

What do you guys think?

I think you need 100 posts so you're almost there.

SeoulBeatz
05-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Did I say that he wasn't a good player? Look at his stats the first few years he was in the league and they weren't too impressive. All I was saying is that if he went to college he would've developed a better game which would have made him be more productive his first few seasons in the league.

hey man, how about garnetts first couple years in the league, and kobes, and jermaine oneals?

none of them were killing it right out the gate.

just sayin

HoosierDaddy
05-03-2009, 08:14 PM
I think you need 100 posts so you're almost there.

Ha, guess you're right. thanks

bahama0811
05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I don't think it would've mattered one way or the other. T-Mac would get hurt no matter what.