PDA

View Full Version : Franchise Players/Leaders & Roles

Spurred1
05-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I got the idea from another thread; I was wondering is the franchise player of a team always perceived as the leader of that team?
Let's take the Nuggets as an example. Carmelo Anthony is that team's franchise player, but I don't perceive him as being the leader of the Nuggets.
With the Mavericks, Dirk is perceived as the franchise player, but Kidd is the leader of that team.
Should the franchise player always assume the leadership role? After all, the franchise player isn't always leadership material. For example, Gasol was the Grizzlies franchise player for years, but not really a leader.
Thoughts?

Duncan = Donkey
05-01-2009, 11:04 PM
i dont know, amare is supposebly the franchise the player of the suns, but its clear steve nash is the leader along with grant hill.

you dont have to be the best player on the team to be the teams leader.

DenButsu
05-01-2009, 11:08 PM
On teams with multiple stars, I think often the younger players will defer the primary leadership role to the veterans, probably in part because they themselves look up to them for leadership. At least, that's my take on what Melo did first with AI, then with Billups.

Spurred1
05-01-2009, 11:10 PM
On teams with multiple stars, I think often the younger players will defer the primary leadership role to the veterans, probably in part because they themselves look up to them for leadership. At least, that's my take on what Melo did first with AI, then with Billups.

Do you think that ultimately Melo will take on a leadership role?

superkegger
05-01-2009, 11:12 PM
The best player doesn't have to be your leader, or at least he doesn't always have to be off the court. He should set a tone on the court that other players will follow, and act in a way off the court and in the locker room that is admiradle and exemplary, but your best player/franchise player doesn't have to be your vocal or emotional leader. Some people are just wired to be leaders, and others aren't.

This is not to say however that it's ok for your best player to always shy away form being a leader. If he's not willing to step into leadership roles at time, that is going to be problematic.

DenButsu
05-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Do you think that ultimately Melo will take on a leadership role?

I think he already is making that transformation in this current postseason.

Not smiling so much anymore. He has a new seriousness about him. And when the Nuggets reached their closeout game (which I feared could have been somewhat of a trap game, with NOH's backs against the wall and maybe wanting to salvage some pride), Melo just took complete control of the game and let everybody know - including his teammates - that he would be getting them into the 2nd round (and maybe further) this year. A switch has definitely been thrown in Melo's mind. I think I can feel pretty comfortable now in saying he's officially been Billupsized. (Which is not to say that he'll ever be a "Leader with a capital L" leader of Chauncey's stature, but just that Chauncey's teachings have reached him and changed him).

D-Amazins
05-01-2009, 11:33 PM
I got the idea from another thread; I was wondering is the franchise player of a team always perceived as the leader of that team?
Let's take the Nuggets as an example. Carmelo Anthony is that team's franchise player, but I don't perceive him as being the leader of the Nuggets.
With the Mavericks, Dirk is perceived as the franchise player, but Kidd is the leader of that team.Should the franchise player always assume the leadership role? After all, the franchise player isn't always leadership material. For example, Gasol was the Grizzlies franchise player for years, but not really a leader.
Thoughts?

Dirk is most def. the leader of the Mavs.

BTW, The franchise is not always percived as the leader...although they are usually the best player on the team due to talent, potential & age.

superkegger
05-02-2009, 12:43 AM
I think he already is making that transformation in this current postseason.

Not smiling so much anymore. He has a new seriousness about him. And when the Nuggets reached their closeout game (which I feared could have been somewhat of a trap game, with NOH's backs against the wall and maybe wanting to salvage some pride), Melo just took complete control of the game and let everybody know - including his teammates - that he would be getting them into the 2nd round (and maybe further) this year. A switch has definitely been thrown in Melo's mind. I think I can feel pretty comfortable now in saying he's officially been Billupsized. (Which is not to say that he'll ever be a "Leader with a capital L" leader of Chauncey's stature, but just that Chauncey's teachings have reached him and changed him).

I couldn't stop chuckling when I read that. Billupsized. :laugh2: