PDA

View Full Version : Official New Orleans Hornets Draft Discussion

Vinny642
05-01-2009, 05:22 PM
With the 21st Pick in the NBA 2009 Draft the New Orleans Hornets select....

and why?

Vinny642
05-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Well my brother says we should get Terence Williams if he comes to us. He can creates steals, he is explosive, has a decent Jumper. Thats all I really know about him from Mock drafts and my bro. I say if he is there get him.

saintdrew
05-01-2009, 06:46 PM
i haven't really looked at it yet.

i'm thinking we should and try and trade for jj reddick in the offseason. he's the shooter we desperately need.

Vinny642
05-01-2009, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't trade a first for Reddick ever.

avsman05
05-02-2009, 12:02 AM
This guy would be perfect for you guys. Trust me don't pass on him http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Wayne-Ellington-482/

Trouble87
05-02-2009, 04:26 AM
Well my brother says we should get Terence Williams if he comes to us. He can creates steals, he is explosive, has a decent Jumper. Thats all I really know about him from Mock drafts and my bro. I say if he is there get him.

Dude is a chucker .... he shoots wild 3's but he's crazy athletic

don't think your team would benefit from this guy

----------------------------------------------------------------

Jrue Holiday is the truth

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jrue-holiday

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jrue-Holiday-1108/

Interview- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSKfT5sN_FQ

JDizzle
05-04-2009, 11:43 PM
would you guys trade chandler or west and are pick to move up into the lottery for someone?

Vinny642
05-05-2009, 01:03 AM
would you guys trade chandler or west and are pick to move up into the lottery for someone?

I don't think we'd trade West, he not making much money. Chandler IDK.

Patrick Swayze
05-11-2009, 06:08 PM
A shooting guard or back up center. Butler is decent, but an upgrade would help. Give away Morris Peterson to who ever wants him. Tyson could use a back up. He might be traded as well and if he is we will desperately need a center. Our back up aren't cutting it.

BIGBREED
05-20-2009, 03:37 PM
We need to try to bring back PF - Brandon Bass, sign SG/SF - Gerald Green from Dallas and draft either C- B.J. Mullens from Ohio St. or SG/SF- Chase Budinger from Arizona

Check out the videos on:
C- B.J. Mullens
SG/SF- Chase Budinger

If we trade David West, that would help because he doesn't hustle but if we don't our roster should look like this(with no trades):
C- Tyson Chandler
PF- David West
SF- Julian wright
SG- Rasual Butler(valuable trading chip due to one year contract)
PG- Chris Paul

6th- James Posey
7th- Peja Stojakovic *(can't trade due to long contract)*
8th- Brandon Bass
9th- Gerald Green
10th- B.J. Mullens or Chase Budinger
11th- Antonio Daniels **(Valuable trading chip due to one year contract)**
12th- Mo Pete *(can't trade due to long contract)*
13th- Hilton Armstrong
14th- PG - with speed(free agent)
15th- C/PF - physical type(free agent)

***Its not great but we would become younger and more athletic***

BIGBREED
05-20-2009, 03:50 PM
A shooting guard or back up center. Butler is decent, but an upgrade would help. Give away Morris Peterson to who ever wants him. Tyson could use a back up. He might be traded as well and if he is we will desperately need a center. Our back up aren't cutting it.

I agree! Check out C- B.J. Mullens and SG/SF- Chase Budinger

Vinny642
05-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Mock draftts have us taking T Williams and BJ Mullens

BIGBREED
05-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Mock draftts have us taking T Williams and BJ Mullens

Ok, thats great! Give me those sites.

Vinny642
05-24-2009, 12:04 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2009/

Its has a whole bunch of MOCKS check it out

BIGBREED
05-24-2009, 01:09 PM
How would you rank those three players in order? All three players on the board when the Hornets pick, who do they take with the 21st pick? IYO

Vinny642
05-24-2009, 01:13 PM
If Williams, BJ, and who Budinger or Ellington

I see us going
1. T Williams- A huge steal.
2. BJ Mullens
3. Sam Young
4. 4-Tie- Budinger/ Ellington

BIGBREED
05-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Honestly, I don't think that Terrance Williams nor B.J. Mullens will be there at 21. T. Will is to good and B.J. Mullens is the second rated center in the draft and you know how they feel about the Big Men in the NBA. Lets hope that they will still be on the board. I agree with you, thats some good stuff

Vinny642
05-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Anything will be good. But Peja retiring will help alot. If he does.

BIGBREED
05-24-2009, 08:46 PM
We're not that lucky!

Patrick Swayze
05-28-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm starting to think that we need a center more than anything. BJ Mullens would be perfect. He is the only real center that will be around when we pick anyways. Hopefully he can fall to us. If he doesn't, he would probably go a couple picks before.

Patrick Swayze
06-09-2009, 06:48 PM
The Hornets worked out Chase Budinger today! That would be really great if we were able to land him. I think he would step in right away and start at SG.

Budinger and Mullens are definitely my top choices for the draft this year.

BIGBREED
06-09-2009, 09:35 PM
The Hornets worked out Chase Budinger today! That would be really great if we were able to land him. I think he would step in right away and start at SG.

Budinger and Mullens are definitely my top choices for the draft this year.

Did you see the videos on them? SWEET Huh?

Chase is very athletic, he can jump and shoot the three! The only problem I would have with him is by him being a surfer/goofball of a person, would he be able to take the mental games that the NBA brings.

I think that Mullens will be gone by the time we pick(UTAH)

Patrick Swayze
06-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Did you see the videos on them? SWEET Huh?

Chase is very athletic, he can jump and shoot the three! The only problem I would have with him is by him being a surfer/goofball of a person, would he be able to take the mental games that the NBA brings.

I think that Mullens will be gone by the time we pick(UTAH)

No I didn't. I don't think either one will fall to us, but you never know.

JDizzle
06-10-2009, 10:33 PM
byran scott like marcus throthon from lsu.. I saw him play he is very good... I wouldnt mind him but if pargo returns then defently go with a big man

Vinny642
06-10-2009, 10:37 PM
If we get rid of TC and BJ Mullens is there to draft, draft him and trade TC. But if we cant then lets try to get Chase Budinger TWilliams or someone

BIGBREED
06-11-2009, 01:24 PM
byran scott like marcus throthon from lsu.. I saw him play he is very good... I wouldnt mind him but if pargo returns then defently go with a big man

Marcus Thorton is a 2nd rounder and if the Hornets draft him with the 21st pick, I'll be done with them!

Patrick Swayze
06-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Marcus Thorton is a 2nd rounder and if the Hornets draft him with the 21st pick, I'll be done with them!

I was even thinking they could sign him as an undrafted free agent.

I don't think they have any intention of actually drafting him unless they move back into the second round which I don't think they will.

tland22
06-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi, i am new to this forum, just found this place about a month ago, and just signed up today. I am a die hard hornets fan and a huuuuge NBA fan.

BIGBREED, you will be eating your words about Marcus Thornton. IMO he, Psycho T, and/or Mullens from SLOW-Hio State should be our draft picks. ANd it seems some of you know nothing about basketball and have probly never played it or watched much college.

Do NOT get it twisted....Marcus Thornton is a ANIMAL. He is way more athletic than Ellington (by the way, who is one dimensional), he plays tenacious D, rebounds like a beast, he is nearly unstoppable in the lane and the post, and need not to mention he can rain three's down(contested ones) like that is what he was born to do. Have u ever seen that man drive to the lane? He gets the and1 every time...makes the shot and the free throw. he is EXACTLY what we need, he can create his own shots.

You people are some crazy basketball fans if you think Marcus is going to be a "second rounder" I know you guys have been reading the articles....you see the big names Thornton is shredding up in these pro workouts...come on fellas.

BIGBREED
06-12-2009, 03:10 AM
Hi, i am new to this forum, just found this place about a month ago, and just signed up today. I am a die hard hornets fan and a huuuuge NBA fan.

BIGBREED, you will be eating your words about Marcus Thornton. IMO he, Psycho T, and/or Mullens from SLOW-Hio State should be our draft picks. ANd it seems some of you know nothing about basketball and have probly never played it or watched much college.

Do NOT get it twisted....Marcus Thornton is a ANIMAL. He is way more athletic than Ellington (by the way, who is one dimensional), he plays tenacious D, rebounds like a beast, he is nearly unstoppable in the lane and the post, and need not to mention he can rain three's down(contested ones) like that is what he was born to do. Have u ever seen that man drive to the lane? He gets the and1 every time...makes the shot and the free throw. he is EXACTLY what we need, he can create his own shots.

You people are some crazy basketball fans if you think Marcus is going to be a "second rounder" I know you guys have been reading the articles....you see the big names Thornton is shredding up in these pro workouts...come on fellas.

I'm old school son! I come from the background when you played everything as a kid! I played football, basketball, baseball and ran track in high school!
I played AAU ball! I HAD A FULL SCHOLARSHIP IN COLLEGE and I played football and basketball in college! Where have you played? LOL....
Do you need me to name some more of my basketball credentials? Do you have any credentials? LOL.... High school, RT?

MARCUS THORTON:
I have watched Marcus Thornton, and at 6'4 he's not dominate in the post like you say he is; he's not a rebounder. The things that he did in college, you're expecting him to do the same things in the NBA! That by itself tells me that you don't know what the hell your talking about! He's a shooting guard, PERIOD!

You talking about Marcus Thornton being a ANIMAL! LOL, If Marcus Thornton was so much of a ANIMAL, why he's not a lottery pick? I think that you're being just alittle bias towards him.
REALLY, I think that Garrett Temple will be a better NBA player(SG- Garrett Temple 6'6 - can play the 1,2, and 3 positions, great ball handling skills, great defensive player, and good shooter)

-Marcus Thornton plays like Ben Gordon-
-Garrett Temple plays like Scottie Pippen-

Look man, Marcus Thornton is good but he's a 2nd Rd pick. If he can continue to impress at these camps, he MIGHT sneak into the late 1st RD!

***STOP reading the Times Picayune, they don't know schit! Most mock drafts have him going in the 2nd RD dude!

I'M 6'5 250lbs and I'LL WHIP YOUR AZZ UP&DOWN THE COURT AND I'M OLDER THEN YOU!

tland22
06-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Okay, you are SURLKY overreacting right now.

Anyways, basketball credentials over the internet? I can easily give mine too, but i refuse to because it is childish, and even I know that haha.

I would pay you to play me in basketball for money...believe that. You dont know who I am, but if you want to find out, I am in baton rouge and will play you anytime and day you wish, believe me. For money only of course, let me know....so you can put your money where your mouth is.

You really think your height and weight scare me? You are an unathletic JOKE.

Maybe I am biased, but we will see wont we at the start of the NBA season how good Marcus is....I know him personally. BELIEVE that. And I bet you wont be saying **** about it because when he is doing well, I will be here giving you **** every single day about your "basketball IQ". Im sure you will be nowhere to be found around here.

tland22
06-12-2009, 11:00 AM
by the way, you sure dont act your age. By your language an irrational thought ("Marcus Thorton is a 2nd rounder and if the Hornets draft him with the 21st pick, I'll be done with them!") it is VERY easy to tell that you are very immature, lying about your age, or just mildly insane. That sentence I quoted of you saying you will be done with the hornets if they draft Thornton, is COMPLETELY ludicrous.

Vinny642
06-12-2009, 02:53 PM
LOL Done with them? It depends if they are going to trade anyone and who is on the board when NO got the 21 pick

Patrick Swayze
06-12-2009, 03:20 PM
by the way, you sure dont act your age. By your language an irrational thought ("Marcus Thorton is a 2nd rounder and if the Hornets draft him with the 21st pick, I'll be done with them!") it is VERY easy to tell that you are very immature, lying about your age, or just mildly insane. That sentence I quoted of you saying you will be done with the hornets if they draft Thornton, is COMPLETELY ludicrous.

Just end the argument now. I don't want this thread to get locked over a stupid pointless argument. You both are being immature, so stop. It's annoying.

BIGBREED
06-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Okay, you are SURLKY overreacting right now.

Anyways, basketball credentials over the internet? I can easily give mine too, but i refuse to because it is childish, and even I know that haha.

I would pay you to play me in basketball for money...believe that. You dont know who I am, but if you want to find out, I am in baton rouge and will play you anytime and day you wish, believe me. For money only of course, let me know....so you can put your money where your mouth is.

You really think your height and weight scare me? You are an unathletic JOKE.

Maybe I am biased, but we will see wont we at the start of the NBA season how good Marcus is....I know him personally. BELIEVE that. And I bet you wont be saying **** about it because when he is doing well, I will be here giving you **** every single day about your "basketball IQ". Im sure you will be nowhere to be found around here.

THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT:
I wasn't trying to scare you with the HGT and WGHT but was making a point that at 6'5 and 250lbs I would still beat you in basketball! I'm an unathletic Joke....LOL! You playing me for money is a joke and I honestly don't believe that you have ever played for money bcuz if we would play, we would be playing half court. What young athletics would I have to show in a half court game of 1on1? LOL, I'm certainly not like i use too be, Im just alot smarter!

Lets not fill this thread with this stuff, check your inbox.

JDizzle
06-13-2009, 04:15 PM
lets take tyler hansbrough... we say are bigs are not agressive enough this guy will take a bows to the face all day. i think this is what the hornets need big time

Vinny642
06-13-2009, 08:06 PM
we dont need rookie bigs if we keep west and chandler...

Patrick Swayze
06-13-2009, 08:29 PM
lets take tyler hansbrough... we say are bigs are not agressive enough this guy will take a bows to the face all day. i think this is what the hornets need big time

No way!!!! I'd rather have the pick traded away. He isn't even worth a second round pick. Any team that uses a first round pick on him is stupid.

BIGBREED
06-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Mock drafts have the Hornets taking SG- Marcus Thornton with the 21st pick

Vinny642
06-13-2009, 10:28 PM
yea i see lol idk if i want him or not

tland22
06-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Wow, i hope you are right. I think Marcus would be a great pick at 21. The home grown players ALWAYS play well for their team. It is a shame when we drafted Brandon Bass out of LSU that we couldnt develop him and hold on to him, because he pretty good player for Dallas right now. Our coach CANNOT develop young talent to save his life.

Marucs was more dominant in college than Brandon was, if i am remembering correctly. Marcus just needs to work on the "effort" side of things(or so they say) because all the talent is definitely there....

I also think trading the pick away in some package deal could yield positive results for the hornets....but who knows. Send our pick and tyson to someone etc....i dunno. i hadnt thought it through enough.

Patrick Swayze
06-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Mock drafts have the Hornets taking SG- Marcus Thornton with the 21st pick

I really hope not. That is far too much of a reach. Why don't they try to trade into the second round and grab him.

BIGBREED
06-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Marcus Thornton is moving up in Mock drafts from his workouts but he's not consistent with his play! Thats the word out on him but honestly, what rookie is consistent with their play in camps! I still believe that he's a 2nd RD pick because of his inconsistencies in his practice habits but the Hornets are in need of a SHOOTING GUARD(starter or backup)

danidin
06-15-2009, 06:16 AM
new orleans need to see player from europe.
they very cheap and much better then bowen for exepmle.

remember the name: debon jefferson. hes play in israel and he got a star potential...

i think thet NO need players like lee from the megic, he goin to be a allstar.
sun yu(?) from the lakers is wasted. he need to get a lot more minutes! if the hornets people are smart they take sun yu.

BIGBREED
06-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Foreign players normally take about 3 to 4 years to develope in the NBA! They are soft and they don't play defense! We have kids that have listen to these powerful exec. and have gone to college for that 1 year(which they've forced on these kids so they "The Exec" can get that money from the NCAA) and we still should bypass on our kids for foreign players? I think not....

Patrick Swayze
06-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Marcus Thornton is moving up in Mock drafts from his workouts but he's not consistent with his play! Thats the word out on him but honestly, what rookie is consistent with their play in camps! I still believe that he's a 2nd RD pick because of his inconsistencies in his practice habits but the Hornets are in need of a SHOOTING GUARD(starter or backup)

I'm seeing more and more mock drafts that have us taking him. I just don't think it's worth it.

BIGBREED
06-16-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm seeing more and more mock drafts that have us taking him. I just don't think it's worth it.

Good news.......Mock drafts have been updated since the dead line for college players to back out!

THE HORNETS ARE NOT TAKING MARCUS THORNTON

Some have us taking PG- Eric Maynor from VCU (6'2 - 175lbs) or SG- Terrance Williams from Louisville ( 6'6 - 207lbs0

Patrick Swayze
06-17-2009, 02:20 AM
Good news.......Mock drafts have been updated since the dead line for college players to back out!

THE HORNETS ARE NOT TAKING MARCUS THORNTON

Some have us taking PG- Eric Maynor from VCU (6'2 - 175lbs) or SG- Terrance Williams from Louisville ( 6'6 - 207lbs0

I'm taking Maynor. I wouldn't mind him at all. He is actually probably the #3 guy on my big board for them I'm not big on Williams either.

tland22
06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
We need people with size who can play DEFENSE. And score a little at least. Terrance would be better than Maynor. We dont need a back up pg, because we are going to sign Pargo, who is good enough. Unless Maynor can play SG and he turns out to be a Monte Ellis type of player..then YES we would love to have him. Ellis is 6-3 180 so comparable size to Maynor, if thier skill set is the same, but im not sure it is.

And FYI, mark my words, if Marcus Thornton is available when the Hornets are up to pick.... 75% chance that we pick him. BELIEVE THAT. I hope we do!

Patrick Swayze
06-17-2009, 01:23 PM
We need people with size who can play DEFENSE. And score a little at least. Terrance would be better than Maynor. We dont need a back up pg, because we are going to sign Pargo, who is good enough. Unless Maynor can play SG and he turns out to be a Monte Ellis type of player..then YES we would love to have him. Ellis is 6-3 180 so comparable size to Maynor, if thier skill set is the same, but im not sure it is.

And FYI, mark my words, if Marcus Thornton is available when the Hornets are up to pick.... 75% chance that we pick him. BELIEVE THAT. I hope we do!

I understand and you make a great point. I'm just saying there are better options than Thornton. I really really like Chase Budinger. He can play both SG and SF. He can shoot. He can do a lot. If he was available and the Hornets passed on him, I'm not going to be the happiest person on here. I'm not very big on Terrence Williams, but I'd still take him over Thornton because of his athleticism. Maybe I just don't know too much about Thornton.

As for Maynor, I don't think he will be able to play SG. If we do sign Pargo, he is able to play SG. That's why Maynor wouldn't be a bad option.

You guys have to remember that we still could use BJ Mullens. Chandler could be a goner and BJ would be a great option. If he is there (which I don't think he will make past the Pistons) he should be seriously considered.

BIGBREED
06-17-2009, 01:35 PM

- The key words in your statement is "I hope we do"

Just because he's your boy and he went to LSU does not mean that he's the best pick for the Hornets. There are players that are rated higher than Marcus Thornton and you know it bro. Believe me, I truely love his "Measurements" and his "Game" but taking him with the 21st pick is too high!

tland22
06-17-2009, 01:51 PM
First off, I think if and when we sign Pargo, he should be used as a back-up PG. Yes, he could play SG at times but he could NOT start at that position. He said it himself, he loves his back up PG role for the Hornets giving energy and change of pace off the bench. Thats what we need from Pargo. We need him on our back up team so we dont go on scoring droughts when the 2nd team is in the game. Maynor would not be able to do as well as Pargo(likely)...since Pargo is proven already and he has great chemistry with our team already.

If it is between Terrance and Maynor, then we should go with T Williams because of the reasons I mentioned above, his size and defense, not to mention he can score the ball...and his rebounding for a SG is outstanding!

As far as Budinger is concerned....yea I have to agree with you there. He is a smart player who will certainly work his *** off. He has GREAT athleticism and at 6-7 his size is solid as well. He could play SG or SF like you said. He is also an above average defender, which we need as well...just not as good as Terrance who is a VERY good defender. I like Chase Budinger too the more I think about him the more I like that idea. For me it has to be between Marcus,Chase, BJ Mullens or Psycho T. I would be happy with any of those picks.

I agree with you strongly on BJ Mullens, he is certainly worth consideration because of his youth and size and ability to finish in the post down low. I do worry about how mistake prone he is. not a very good passer and the kid has a PRETTY difficult time creating shots for himself.....which i feel is the ultimate attribute we need in this years draft, because CP3 (and Juju)is the only human on our team that can create his own shots. And we dont want people just standing around. but yes, he could develop in no time because he is so young. He should definitely be considered, I agree Patrick.

tland22
06-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I know what you are saying BIGBREED, and yes everything you say is correct EXCEPT when you said " taking him with the 21st pick in the draft is too high" Because we all know that we dont know that yet....it wouldnt be completely ridiculous to take him with the 21st pick ya know? I think it would be a good move, and yes I am biased. But I am not totally ignorant about this kind of thing. But yea, i understand what you are saying.

Who do you suggest we take big breed?

BIGBREED
06-17-2009, 01:56 PM
First off, I think if and when we sign Pargo, he should be used as a back-up PG. Yes, he could play SG at times but he could NOT start at that position. He said it himself, he loves his back up PG role for the Hornets giving energy and change of pace off the bench. Thats what we need from Pargo. We need him on our back up team so we dont go on scoring droughts when the 2nd team is in the game. Maynor would not be able to do as well as Pargo(likely)...since Pargo is proven already and he has great chemistry with our team already.

If it is between Terrance and Maynor, then we should go with T Williams because of the reasons I mentioned above, his size and defense, not to mention he can score the ball...and his rebounding for a SG is outstanding!

As far as Budinger is concerned....yea I have to agree with you there. He is a smart player who will certainly work his *** off. He has GREAT athleticism and at 6-7 his size is solid as well. He could play SG or SF like you said. He is also an above average defender, which we need as well...just not as good as Terrance who is a VERY good defender. I like Chase Budinger too the more I think about him the more I like that idea. For me it has to be between Marcus,Chase, BJ Mullens or Psycho T. I would be happy with any of those picks.

I agree with you strongly on BJ Mullens, he is certainly worth consideration because of his youth and size and ability to finish in the post down low. I do worry about how mistake prone he is. not a very good passer and the kid has a PRETTY difficult time creating shots for himself.....which i feel is the ultimate attribute we need in this years draft, because CP3 (and Juju)is the only human on our team that can create his own shots. And we dont want people just standing around. but yes, he could develop in no time because he is so young. He should definitely be considered, I agree Patrick.

Thats some good stuff........but who is Patrick?

tland22
06-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Patrick Swayze or whatever his name is lol

Patrick Swayze
06-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Thats some good stuff........but who is Patrick?

Me....?

BIGBREED
06-17-2009, 02:07 PM
I know what you are saying BIGBREED, and yes everything you say is correct EXCEPT when you said " taking him with the 21st pick in the draft is too high" Because we all know that we dont know that yet....it wouldnt be completely ridiculous to take him with the 21st pick ya know? I think it would be a good move, and yes I am biased. But I am not totally ignorant about this kind of thing. But yea, i understand what you are saying.

Who do you suggest we take big breed?

YOU!

...but seriously, you've hit the nail Rt on the head, "we don't know" because its still early. Who do I want? I want the best player available at the SG or SF position with the 21st pick.

- lets see if we can bring back PF- Cedric Simmons(Hornets former 1st RD pick)

BIGBREED
06-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Me....?

My Bad...... but whats up with the Patrick Swayze stuff?

Don't tell me that you cried looking at GHOST?

Patrick Swayze
06-17-2009, 02:10 PM
YOU!

...but seriously, you've hit the nail Rt on the head, "we don't know" because its still early. Who do I want? I want the best player available at the SG or SF position with the 21st pick.

- lets see if we can bring back PF- Cedric Simmons(Hornets former 1st RD pick)

I highly disagree with brining Simmons back. He played for the D-League team here in Iowa and struggled with them. He won't have much of an NBA career anymore.

tland22
06-17-2009, 02:13 PM
U know what, those four names I listed i would throw Terrance Williams in that category. I'd be happy with Maruc, Terrance, Psycho T, Chase Budinger, and Mullens....either of those guys. Im not too sure who the mock drafts think will be available at the time of our pick, but either way, either of these guys would be solid picks and I would not, I could not gripe. In fact, I would be ahppy if we got any of these.

My two big things I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE from a drafted player or free agency:

1. Ability to creat own shots.
2. Ability and size to play defense.

that is in no particular order by the way. I believe those twp things would benefit the hornets the most. And the reason I like Defense so much, besides the obvious reasons, is because with Chris Paul, he will get people open to get shots MOST of the time. And Many NBA or college players should hit the shots they get open to....but the scoring isnt the problem, that isnt hard to find. Alot of players are going to be able to score. But which ones can defend? No where near as many. We would MUCH rather a defensively minded individual who CAN score when needed, as opposed to a pretty damn good scorer who stinks at defense ( like BEN GORDON).

BIGBREED
06-17-2009, 02:19 PM
U know what, those four names I listed i would throw Terrance Williams in that category. I'd be happy with Maruc, Terrance, Psycho T, Chase Budinger, and Mullens....either of those guys. Im not too sure who the mock drafts think will be available at the time of our pick, but either way, either of these guys would be solid picks and I would not, I could not gripe. In fact, I would be ahppy if we got any of these.

My two big things I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE from a drafted player or free agency:

1. Ability to creat own shots.
2. Ability and size to play defense.

that is in no particular order by the way. I believe those twp things would benefit the hornets the most. And the reason I like Defense so much, besides the obvious reasons, is because with Chris Paul, he will get people open to get shots MOST of the time. And Many NBA or college players should hit the shots they get open to....but the scoring isnt the problem, that isnt hard to find. Alot of players are going to be able to score. But which ones can defend? No where near as many. We would MUCH rather a defensively minded individual who CAN score when needed, as opposed to a pretty damn good scorer who stinks at defense ( like BEN GORDON).

Agreed

Patrick Swayze
06-17-2009, 02:22 PM
My Bad...... but whats up with the Patrick Swayze stuff?

Don't tell me that you cried looking at GHOST?

My real name is actually Patrick. A buddy of mine loves Patrick Swayze mostly because of Dirty Dancing. So him and I started calling cool things "Swayze."

So since my first name is Patrick and I'm cool, I came up with Patrick Swayze.

Pretty much just an inside joke.

But I will admit to liking Dirty Dancing.

BIGBREED
06-17-2009, 02:22 PM
I highly disagree with brining Simmons back. He played for the D-League team here in Iowa and struggled with them. He won't have much of an NBA career anymore.

All we need from him is his "6 fouls" and his "shot blocking" (wingspan of a 7'4 player); no offense

He's better than Bowen...

BIGBREED
06-17-2009, 02:26 PM
My real name is actually Patrick. A buddy of mine loves Patrick Swayze mostly because of Dirty Dancing. So him and I started calling cool things "Swayze."

So since my first name is Patrick and I'm cool, I came up with Patrick Swayze.

Pretty much just an inside joke.

But I will admit to liking Dirty Dancing.

Thats pretty cool...

BIGBREED
06-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Would you guys take PG- Eric Maynor before PG- Ty Lawson

tland22
06-17-2009, 03:00 PM
hmmmm i dont know. To be honest, the thought of having to answer that question makes me nauseous. I hope that isnt a decision that the hornets front office is or ever will be considering. I will be EXTREMELY...and I mean COMPLETELY discouraged and disappointed if Maynor or Ty Lawson gets picked by our team...

tland22
06-17-2009, 03:08 PM
i am really opposed to either. Im not sure what the hornets are looking for though. I do not think we need a back up PG from the draft. Again, I think we need Pargo, and if we do sign him, then hopefully NO WAY do we even look at either of these guys. Too hard to chose one over the other for me....

Patrick Swayze
06-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Would you guys take PG- Eric Maynor before PG- Ty Lawson

I honestly wouldn't mind either one. I'm not totally opposed to drafting a PG.

tland22
06-17-2009, 05:58 PM
but come on, if we sign Pargo, then CERTAINLY you must agree that picking a PG in the draft would be THE WORST move that we could possibly make, besides us selling the pick for cash. Right?

I agree with BIGBREED, we should take the best SF or SG in the draft...hopefully one that can play both positions. But even a back up center that we could develop would be good, a solid backup for D WEST, or anything else would be better for the hornets than a PG. Because we all know that with Pargo, if we sign him, the PG is by FAR our strongest position. And i would go as far as saying that we are the strongest in the NBA at the PG position with Paul and Pargo, for sure.

Patrick Swayze
06-17-2009, 07:38 PM
but come on, if we sign Pargo, then CERTAINLY you must agree that picking a PG in the draft would be THE WORST move that we could possibly make, besides us selling the pick for cash. Right?

Yea that's IF we sign Pargo. We may not be able to sign him until after the draft. It could be a risk the team won't want to take if someone like Maynor is available.

I hate the idea of trading the pick for cash, but honestly there are worst options out there.

BIGBREED
06-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Yea that's IF we sign Pargo. We may not be able to sign him until after the draft. It could be a risk the team won't want to take if someone like Maynor is available.

I hate the idea of trading the pick for cash, but honestly there are worst options out there.

At some point-n-time, the Hornets will have to draft a player and stop selling there draft picks for cash! Drafting a rookie is cheaper than signing freeagents. Think about it fellas, the Hornets normally draft between 10th and 20th pick in the Draft and a Player salary would be about 2.2MIL dollars being drafted in the teens.

- To draft a rookie, his salary would be between 1MIL to 3MIL; depending on where he's taken
- To sign a freeagent like Pargo, that would take around 5.5MIL(ballpark figure)

Players drafted in the teens:
C- Hilton Armstrong - picked @ 12th - salary 2MIL to 3.8MIL(3years)
PF - Cedric Simmons - picked @ 13th - salary 1.7MIL to 3.7MIL(3years)
SF- Julien Wright - picked @ 15th - salary 1.8MIL to 3.9MIL(4 years)

FREEAGENTS SIGNED:
Jannero Pargo - 5.5MIL(???)
James Posey - 5.5MIL to 6.9MIL(4 years)
Morris Peterson - 5.7MIL to 6.6MIL(4 years)

*** These guys aren't even starters***

Thats why the Hornets are in the financial mess that they're in now! You build your team thru the draft, not signing freeagents every year. All rookies salaries are set because of the salary cap. The Hornets just have to tell Byron Scott that he has to learn how to be more patient with these rookies.

Drafting a "PG" isn't my 1st choice but it would be cheaper than signing one thru freeagency! But we really need a SG/SF

IMO...
I think that Portland has a pretty sweet PG combo too

Patrick Swayze
06-17-2009, 09:44 PM
At some point-n-time, the Hornets will have to draft a player and stop selling there draft picks for cash! Drafting a rookie is cheaper than signing freeagents. Think about it fellas, the Hornets normally draft between 10th and 20th pick in the Draft and a Player salary would be about 2.2MIL dollars!

- To draft a rookie, his salary would between 1 to 3MIL; depending on where he's taken
- To sign a freeagent like Pargo, that would take around 5.5MIL(ballpark figure)

Players drafted in the teens:
C- Hilton Armstrong - picked @ 12th - salary 2MIL to 3.8MIL(3years)
PF - Cedric Simmons - picked @ 13th - salary 1.7MIL to 3.7MIL(3years)
SF- Julien Wright - picked @ 15th - salary 1.8MIL to 3.9MIL(4 years)

FREEAGENTS SIGNED:
Jannero Pargo - 5.5MIL(???)
James Posey - 5.5MIL to 6.9MIL(4 years)
Morris Peterson - 5.7MIL to 6.6MIL(4 years)

*** These guys aren't even starters***

Thats why the Hornets are in the financial mess that they're in now! You build your team thru the draft, not signing freeagents every year. All rookies salaries are set because of the salary cap. The Hornets just have to tell Byron Scott that he has to learn how to be more patient with these rookies.

Drafting PG isn't my 1st choice but it would be cheaper than signing one thru freeagency!

IMO...
I think that Portland has a pretty sweet PG combo too

:cheers:

I'm not very good with numbers. You seem to know what you're talking about. I'm going to count on you when it comes to numbers.

BIGBREED
06-17-2009, 10:00 PM
:cheers:

I'm not very good with numbers. You seem to know what you're talking about. I'm going to count on you when it comes to numbers.

lol

tland22
06-17-2009, 11:56 PM
You are likely correct that drafting a PG would be cheaper than signing Pargo (or any free agent). BUT you MUST consider that we know what we are getting with Pargo, and we DO NOT know what we are getting with a player who has played ZERO minutes in the NBA, you see? So I think it FAR outweighs drafting a rookie...We know what we are getting with Pargo. And the best part about that, is that Pargo offers EXACTLY...and I mean EXACTLY what the Hornets are so desperate for....which is off the bench scoring and leadership and aggressiveness for that second group. As well as a great CP3 and PARGO combo during random spurts of the game for a change of pace in our favor. An the difference of 2millions is worth not having that risk and just going with what we know and what we liked having previously.

tland22
06-18-2009, 12:01 AM
but yes BIGBREED you are correct that it pays to build your team through the draft...in general you are correct with what you are saying. BUT in this, in our particular instance, siging Pargo is the BEST move. I define BEST by giving us the best chance to win...which is what we care about right? The owner said it themselves, we are trying to win and we wont sacrifice because of money and the luxury tax.

AND i couldnt agree more with your comment regarding Byron Scott having NO CLUE how to develop young talent. It is pathetic and embarrassing. Zero patience, as you say.

BIGBREED
06-18-2009, 10:22 AM
but yes BIGBREED you are correct that it pays to build your team through the draft...in general you are correct with what you are saying. BUT in this, in our particular instance, siging Pargo is the BEST move. I define BEST by giving us the best chance to win...which is what we care about right? The owner said it themselves, we are trying to win and we wont sacrifice because of money and the luxury tax.

AND i couldnt agree more with your comment regarding Byron Scott having NO CLUE how to develop young talent. It is pathetic and embarrassing. Zero patience, as you say.

tland22, you make a great point, but just keep in mind that this is a deep draft for PG's; plus don't rule out the possibility of CP3 going down due to injuries. CP3 plays hard and he likes to take it to the hole, he will draw alot of contact in the paint. If CP3 goes down, do you think that Pargo can lead the Hornets to the playoffs?

IMO, I think that these players are better than Pargo Rt now:
1.) Ty Lawson (NCAA Champions)
2.) Darren Collison (3 Final Four appearances)
3.) Eric Maynor (Taller version of CP3)

LOL.....I'm saying all of this but I'm still hoping they draft a SG/SF

spacemandave
06-18-2009, 02:51 PM
so what if the hornets drafted a pf(lookin at mock draft)-hansbrough, earl clark, dejuan blair could all still be around, trade west for either a good center like marc gasol or joakim noah, then trade chandler for backcourt help...or trade west to orlando for some backcourt help like lee and/or redick

Patrick Swayze
06-18-2009, 02:57 PM
so what if the hornets drafted a pf(lookin at mock draft)-hansbrough, earl clark, dejuan blair could all still be around, trade west for either a good center like marc gasol or joakim noah, then trade chandler for backcourt help...or trade west to orlando for some backcourt help like lee and/or redick

Hansbrough is the one guy that I definitely do not want. Personally, I'd rather see a PG or a SG/SF drafted still. You don't have a bad idea though. That's just my opinion.

Blair would be a solid pick, but I think he is roughly top 10.

danidin
06-19-2009, 04:32 AM
the hornets are able to go for a players from euorope?
because i just read that Ersan Ilyasova from Barca wants to go out to the nba.
he is definitely the next turkoglu...

BIGBREED
06-19-2009, 03:28 PM
the hornets are able to go for a players from euorope?
because i just read that Ersan Ilyasova from Barca wants to go out to the nba.
he is definitely the next turkoglu...

Man, Please! You should never pass on an home grown American player for a foreign player! Foreign players take a couple of years to get adjusted to the NBA. Yes, they're cheaper but we need a player to play now; foreign players are soft and they don't play defense!

tland22
06-19-2009, 04:23 PM
i do LOVE Luis Scola's game and attitude...i wish we had him....in fact, we would KILL to have him on our team coming off the bench

tland22
06-19-2009, 04:23 PM
only a 2nd year player too.

danidin
06-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Man, Please! You should never pass on an home grown American player for a foreign player! Foreign players take a couple of years to get adjusted to the NBA. Yes, they're cheaper but we need a player to play now; foreign players are soft and they don't play defense!

so you preferd Pargo(was terrible in olympiakos last year), that would give you something like 8 points&1.5 assist per game, on player that playing in SF(what the hornets need), 21 years old, with talent to become a star?

in the next season, Ilyasova could bring between 7-10 points, 3-4 boards from the bench. he's wasted in euorope!

BIGBREED
06-20-2009, 12:57 AM
i do LOVE Luis Scola's game and attitude...i wish we had him....in fact, we would KILL to have him on our team coming off the bench

Luis Scola was drafted back in 2002 by the Spurs, it took him awhile to get in the NBA full-time, just like all foreign players. I LOVE SCOLA's game! He's what you call a "GOON" or "HACKER" in basketball. They are the guys that do the dirty work, play the mind games, have 6 fouls and use all six of them just to take someone out their game. Luis Scola and Ron Artest together is a dangerous tandem. Scola is a man, not some 21yr old kid that doesn't speak fluid english or know how to take a ball-player talking smack on the court to him. The NBA players always break down those foreign players mentally! It happen to Dirk Nowitzki in Milwaukee and its still happening now!
BOTTOM LINE: A young foreign player won't come into the NBA and dominate because he's just not mentally ready. IMO, once they get around 25- 28yrs old(a MAN really) thats when they become confident in their game and they can play in the NBA!

spacemandave
06-20-2009, 01:54 AM
nah they play pro overseas at 14, they learn the game, only really one or two guys that make a difference each year as a rookie anyway...also the language and cultural barrier makes a difference i bet.

danidin
06-20-2009, 05:19 AM
Luis Scola was drafted back in 2002 by the Spurs, it took him awhile to get in the NBA full-time, just like all foreign players. I LOVE SCOLA's game! He's what you call a "GOON" or "HACKER" in basketball. They are the guys that do the dirty work, play the mind games, have 6 fouls and use all six of them just to take someone out their game. Luis Scola and Ron Artest together is a dangerous tandem. Scola is a man, not some 21yr old kid that doesn't speak fluid english or know how to take a ball-player talking smack on the court to him. The NBA players always break down those foreign players mentally! It happen to Dirk Nowitzki in Milwaukee and its still happening now!
BOTTOM LINE: A young foreign player won't come into the NBA and dominate because he's just not mentally ready. IMO, once they get around 25- 28yrs old(a MAN really) thats when they become confident in their game and they can play in the NBA!

you're right, developing his game takes time, even 3-4 years, but after that, you earn 18 points, 6 boards, 3 assists player. Milwaukee is good example. because of their impatience they look like this. and i'm sure that Popovic was crying in the last playoff about the release of Turkoglu.

anyway, if ersan is not option, the hornets need to go for the big baby...

BIGBREED
06-20-2009, 09:34 PM
nah they play pro overseas at 14, they learn the game, only really one or two guys that make a difference each year as a rookie anyway...also the language and cultural barrier makes a difference i bet.

The Game is played different over seas. They put more imphasis on the offensive end of the game. They are very fundamentally sound offensively, but their defense is more tricks and mind games. They do alot of flopping and holding over seas. They have slow, non athletic guys that play dirty in the paint too, these players are called "hackers", they're just in the game for fouls. The really good shooters don't even come into the paint, they just stay outside away from contact. Thats why when the foreign players come here, they are labeled soft because they are not physical, especially in the Playoffs............. PEJA!

FOREIGN PLAYERS THAT CAN PLAY IN THE PAINT:
Tony Parker
Manu Ginobili
Luis Scola (defensive player; mental hacker)

spacemandave
06-21-2009, 02:49 AM
lol, fair point, i do agree that most are soft but was thinking it was just coaching but i see your point that there are some "fundamental" differences...anyway no comments on my ideas at top of page(besides swayze, thank u)?

BIGBREED
06-21-2009, 03:51 AM

IMO,
Tyler Hansbrough will be a nice role player coming off the bench. He lacks strength and height to play in the post; by not being a gifted athlete, he will never be great. But, he will hustle! If he can get a mean streak, he could be a combo of Dennis Rodman(smarts) & Luis Scola(killer mentality)!

EARL CLARK - I Like him

DeJUAN BLAIR - I think he's to small to play PF for the Hornets because of Tyson Chandler inabilities in the post; he needs to be paired with a good low post Center

**Those guys that you said trade for, the teams aren't looking to trade them**

tland22
06-23-2009, 08:03 PM
The more I think about it, and ESPN predicted this today, that the Hornets taking Sam Young from Pitt wouldnt be such a bad pick either. He is athletic, and can SHOOT, can DUNK, has a nice turnaround jumper...he would THRIVE having a pg like CP3 creating open shots for him. He is good 3pt shooter as well. 6ft 6 SF...a tad undersized I guess though, and will he be able to guard other SF's? I dont know, just throwing things out there. I watched a lot of College Basketball and He was one of my top 5 favorite players to watch this season for sure

Patrick Swayze
06-25-2009, 12:47 PM
The more I think about it, and ESPN predicted this today, that the Hornets taking Sam Young from Pitt wouldnt be such a bad pick either. He is athletic, and can SHOOT, can DUNK, has a nice turnaround jumper...he would THRIVE having a pg like CP3 creating open shots for him. He is good 3pt shooter as well. 6ft 6 SF...a tad undersized I guess though, and will he be able to guard other SF's? I dont know, just throwing things out there. I watched a lot of College Basketball and He was one of my top 5 favorite players to watch this season for sure

I think it would be a bad pick as well. As bad as it is to say, I think I'm going to be greatly with the Hornets pick tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised if they trade down. If they really like Thornton, I could see them trading down to get him. He isn't worth the 21st pick, but maybe late first or early second.

Patrick Swayze
06-25-2009, 08:52 PM
I would love to see Jrue Holiday fall to us right now.

Mckphins
06-25-2009, 09:04 PM
What about mullens?

Patrick Swayze
06-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Scratch Holiday.

Definitely Mullens.

Mullens, Blair, Maynor, Lawson, and Budinger. Any of them would be great!

Patrick Swayze
06-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Minnesota's pick of Ty Lawson does make any sense to me at all.

Edit: The pick will be traded to Denver.

Vinny642
06-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Yea lol i was like 3 pgs? why, then it was explained.
Darren Collison and Marcus Thorton, decent draft

Juju
06-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Overall I give this draft a B+ We filled our second unit backcourt. We have a guy to pass the ball around and another guy to shoot those passes. Collison is a 4 year college player so he should have some leadership quality in him to lead the 2nd unit.

Oh and can anyone else imagine a Collison to Wright alley-oop Crescent City Connection Part 2?

Now lets go find us a quality big-men through Undrafted Free Agency or just Free Agency!

tland22
06-26-2009, 11:29 AM
NICE post JUJU.... i agree with everything you said.

FYI i like the Marcus Thornton pickup more than Collison. I think He is a good scorer and will be one in the NBA. Like Eric Gordon from the Clippers, but BETTER.

tland22
06-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Just read on ESPN that Tyson Chandler is allegedly back on the trade block. So, any ideas of what would be a fair or solid trade for us to make with Tyson? Or should we even get rid of him?

I personally like him, and don want him gone. BUT, I do think we should at the very least consider other offers for him. I am talking about offers that wont take us out of contention. That Ben Wallace rumor/trade idea would CERTAINLY take us out of contentiion for this year at the least. And that is a major NO-NO.

Patrick Swayze
06-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Just read on ESPN that Tyson Chandler is allegedly back on the trade block. So, any ideas of what would be a fair or solid trade for us to make with Tyson? Or should we even get rid of him?

I personally like him, and don want him gone. BUT, I do think we should at the very least consider other offers for him. I am talking about offers that wont take us out of contention. That Ben Wallace rumor/trade idea would CERTAINLY take us out of contentiion for this year at the least. And that is a major NO-NO.

If we lose Chandler then we do. It will be good for us. I'm just worried what we will do to replace him. Sean Marks obviously isn't the answer. Maybe Hilton can finally step up, but I doubt it.

I don't think the Chandler for Wallace trade will happen.

I was thinking yesterday that we should pull off a trade with the Grizzlies to acquire Gasol and Warrick somehow for Chandler. I have no ideas about the contracts. Gasol could start and Warrick would be solid off the bench. I think he is just a restricted FA.

Juju
06-26-2009, 12:50 PM
I was thinking yesterday that we should pull off a trade with the Grizzlies to acquire Gasol and Warrick somehow for Chandler. I have no ideas about the contracts. Gasol could start and Warrick would be solid off the bench. I think he is just a restricted FA.

Woah a trade for Gasol AND Warrick? If that trade does happen, we would be the obvious winners. But for the Grizzles to go through which that trade seems highly doubtful.

Unless we can throw in some of your dead weight while also shreding some contracts to free up cap space. Candidates I see are probably Daniels and Stojakovic..

Patrick Swayze
06-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Woah a trade for Gasol AND Warrick? If that trade does happen, we would be the obvious winners. But for the Grizzles to go through which that trade seems highly doubtful.

Unless we can throw in some of your dead weight while also shreding some contracts to free up cap space. Candidates I see are probably Daniels and Stojakovic..

They've been wanting to get rid of Warrick I thought. Yea, we would definitely throw in Peja and even Daniels or Posey. I'm bot saying this makes sense at all. I was just thinking about that it would be a solid trade.

Juju
06-26-2009, 01:54 PM
They've been wanting to get rid of Warrick I thought. Yea, we would definitely throw in Peja and even Daniels or Posey. I'm bot saying this makes sense at all. I was just thinking about that it would be a solid trade.

Do you have any links to where the Grizzles are saying they want to get rid of Warrick? I'm not doubting you. I just want to see if the Grizzles would really go with that trade.

Patrick Swayze
06-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Do you have any links to where the Grizzles are saying they want to get rid of Warrick? I'm not doubting you. I just want to see if the Grizzles would really go with that trade.

No, I think it was on ESPN or somewhere that I heard it. I think it was that they were open to trades.

Juju
06-26-2009, 09:54 PM
No, I think it was on ESPN or somewhere that I heard it. I think it was that they were open to trades.

Darn... Well lets hope the Hornets front office is giving the Grizzles a call for a potential trade. If we can somehow trade Tyson for Warrick and/or Gasol it would benefit us greatly!

Championship anyone? :clap:

BIGBREED
06-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Darn... Well lets hope the Hornets front office is giving the Grizzles a call for a potential trade. If we can somehow trade Tyson for Warrick and/or Gasol it would benefit us greatly!

Championship anyone? :clap:

If Gasol is that good, why would Memphis give him up in a trade?

Juju
07-07-2009, 04:07 AM
If Gasol is that good, why would Memphis give him up in a trade?

I dunno, more quality play in return?

Anywhoo I was watching some Hornets video on NBA.com and I saw some interesting....

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/Magi_Shine/lol--.png

The NBA hates us.