PDA

View Full Version : What happened to "Starbury"

Evolution=FACT
05-01-2009, 02:38 PM
:laugh:

He used to seem like an elite player. He then went to the knicks and showed how terrible of a team player he is.

Now he is in Boston as a backup, and I thought he would make a big impact on them. He hasn't. He can't shoot, and has made one good drive the entire series.

Is he simply not as talented as everyone thought? Is he just too old now?

whats the problem?

D-Leethal
05-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Mike D saw it first.......he has lost his mojo

Afridi786
05-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Marbury will be lucky to sign for the MLE next year.

tdunk21
05-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Marbury will be lucky to sign for the MLE next year.

cool sig man...loved that blockd shot yesterday

abe_froman
05-01-2009, 02:55 PM
he's 32 and hasnt played significant time in so long,he's just not that elite anymore

Kannon81
05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
think it's KARMA!!!

bleedprple&gold
05-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Yea being an anti-Celtics fan I didn't want him to go to Boston cuz I thought he would help them alot. But now I could care less cuz he hasn't done jack ****. Rondo is 1000 times better than him...

masalex1205
05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I've been wondering this too. I thought there would be a dropoff in the Marbury we've seen in the past simply because he hasn't played in so long and players give it 110% in the playoffs. BUT I didn't think the dropoff would be this drastic.

superkegger
05-01-2009, 03:33 PM
He's old and washed up. Pretty much all there is to it.

philab
05-01-2009, 06:55 PM
It's just really, really hard to take time off in the upper levels of competitive sports and get back up to speed without serious dedication. We've seen it time and time again -- Pacman, Mike Williams, Mo Clarett, Marbury, Ricky Williams to a degree. I'm sure there's more too. Add to that Marbury's age and declining athleticism and it all makes sense.

Duncan = Donkey
05-01-2009, 07:01 PM
boston had the worst pickups mikko moore and marbury

skinsfan4life80
05-01-2009, 07:06 PM
dont get it twisted he was elite..dude was nice in his day. But his day is gone..cant take that much time of at that age..and its a whole different role for him now. he needs to have the ball at all times.

Crazy Crab
05-01-2009, 07:09 PM
the ink on his skull seeped into his brain.

Corey
05-01-2009, 07:44 PM
He's still a serviceable backup, he just isn't as good as he used to be.

29$JerZ
05-01-2009, 07:49 PM
The truth is his tenure as a Knick messed his game up. He was used to being the best player on whatever team he played on and always had the ball in his hands.

He is never going to get back in to 20 8 form.
Injuries, family problems, Knicks handling of him and his ego have all attributed to his downfall in his career.

Ray_R
05-01-2009, 08:01 PM
the ink on his skull seeped into his brain.

:laugh:

azkarraga
05-01-2009, 08:03 PM
it's gotta be tough. i didn't like him, but still

Testaverde16
05-01-2009, 08:13 PM
people realized he was overrated when every team he left got better when he did so... except maybe the twolves... but nets, suns, come on....

nycericanguy
05-01-2009, 08:13 PM
yea i wanted him gone but i thought he would do real well in boston with discipline and since he was in such great shape. i'm suprised how little he has done. especially with garnett out in the series and players logging so many minutes last night. you'd think that wouldve been his chance...

Nirvanaskurdt
05-01-2009, 08:56 PM
He blows. And what happen with Steve Francis? I remember these two were really good about 3-4 years ago.. :confused:

They both will probably be playing across seas next year :laugh2:

Missing56&33
05-01-2009, 09:10 PM
you may think im crazy for saying this but marbury is displaying his best basketball of his career. He finally seems to get it, its about team play and support, hes doing that. When hes in the game hes under control and does not try to be starbury but a team player. Its not about the numbers its about winning.

Reversed86Curse
05-01-2009, 09:17 PM
He's a good role player- nothing more. Hopefully he'll sign with Dallas next year, he'll get along great with Cuban......

EastCoastBaller
05-01-2009, 09:33 PM
He lost the passion of the game...

Super.
05-01-2009, 11:10 PM
He's older, and really really rusty, playing for the knicks didnt help, as well as his ego.

Torque
05-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Simple, he's old and washed up.

aNYer
05-02-2009, 01:40 AM
he was on meaningless teams (as a fan I can say this honestly) that had like 1 shot at the playoffs and then he missed that year cause of the ankle and then this season. Its a lot of time off to all of a sudden not only be playing pro ball but playoff intensity basketball. That plus his age and you get what you see now. I think he will be a little better next year but not much, and not for much money, he is on the down side.

GunFactor187
05-02-2009, 04:28 AM
you may think im crazy for saying this but marbury is displaying his best basketball of his career. He finally seems to get it, its about team play and support, hes doing that. When hes in the game hes under control and does not try to be starbury but a team player. Its not about the numbers its about winning.

x2

ntat
05-02-2009, 04:40 AM
i think its a lot of things. He is older, he did sit for a long time. A bad stuation like NY can kill ur game and ur head.
Plus i think he just came into a weird situation to try and expand his game again.
The guy is a turd, and could never shoot that well, but he is still more talented than he is showing.

ntat
05-02-2009, 04:42 AM
you may think im crazy for saying this but marbury is displaying his best basketball of his career. He finally seems to get it, its about team play and support, hes doing that. When hes in the game hes under control and does not try to be starbury but a team player. Its not about the numbers its about winning.yeah but going from being so selfish ur fire is out out of control, to having no fire left in ur game, is not good. Id rather him still have some of that chip on his shoulder, because i uarantee he would be playing better.

ntat
05-02-2009, 04:45 AM
Mike D saw it first.......he has lost his mojohow could mike d have possibly saw that? He never saw him play a single game in the entire season! Mike D just didnt want an ***.

Becks2307
05-02-2009, 06:18 AM
hes gonna be alot better next year..i can tell watchin him play he is too tentative. He seems worried about not being the perfect team player and being alienated if they lose. If he signs with another team next year, or even if he stays with the cektics and gets more acclimated with his team he will do alot better

Trouble87
05-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Marbury past his prime but he's still a good PG

He went from missing most of the season sitting @ home to playing for the defending NBA champs.

Also he's changed his style of play to fit into a system he doesn't star in. He's like a supporting character in a movie with a ensemble cast; Marbury is just there complement the play of others.

IMO he shouldve sat out this season and came back next year to a team like the Heat or Hornets. His skills would be more useful there; he would be able to shine.

PJAF
05-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Actually, when he came to NY he did play team basketball and deferred to Eddie Curry and Jamal Crawford and later Zach Randolph as options before himself. It's obvious that he wants to fit in in Boston, at least this season and has deferred to Rondo, Allen and Pearce and actually evewrybody else. He looks like he is afraid to shoot which says he has lost confidence and doesn't want to try to be seen as taking over like he was capable of doing before. I agree, he will not be a 20 and 8 guy again, but getting a fresh start on a team as their starting point guard will probably improve his game next year to 14 and 6. If he gets a backup role it will be less. He may go overseas and play.

69centers
05-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Marbury past his prime but he's still a good PG

He went from missing most of the season sitting @ home to playing for the defending NBA champs.

Also he's changed his style of play to fit into a system he doesn't star in. He's like a supporting character in a movie with a ensemble cast; Marbury is just there complement the play of others.

IMO he shouldve sat out this season and came back next year to a team like the Heat or Hornets. His skills would be more useful there; he would be able to shine.

And he may have gotten more money had he sat out. There would have been nothing to judge him on but his past achievements. Now, he's had so many scoreless minutes, it's going to be real tough for him to get any money next year. You have to think he hasn't got it anymore, because if he did, he be trying his butt off to get a healthy contract next year.

He's still got a slim shot at redemption, if he can come through with a huge game, or a few game deciding plays in the playoffs. He could have been a hero the other night, had he taken a wide open three and made it, but he chose to pass.

Big Game Son
05-02-2009, 11:08 AM
What happened to Marbury? He got old....and buried his stardum in New York. Now he is as Rocky's trainer would say "A BUM!"

D-Leethal
05-02-2009, 01:18 PM
how could mike d have possibly saw that? He never saw him play a single game in the entire season! Mike D just didnt want an ***.

ummmm preseason, training camp, practice :confused:

D-Leethal
05-02-2009, 01:24 PM
People who are saying 'he just started playing team basketball' as to why he sucks now are wrong. Team basketball requires taking the shot when you are wide open off ball movement, it means making the right play, the smart play, Steph has just been standing around watching on offense and getting owned on D, which is why he has been getting about 5 minutes a game on a team with like 7 healthy guys

Ironman5219
05-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Marbuy fell hard on his face.... refusing play and can't be a team guy, now he's on a winner wtih boston and is like the 12th man as far as production goes. Look up LOSER in the dictionary and you'll see his picture by it!

NYK|NYY
05-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Marbury is definitely holding back because he wants to be seen like he found the "light" and is not a team cancer so he can get paid next year. Hes so hesitant its annoying. And I hate him so much.