PDA

View Full Version : a superstar's weakness

rabueed
05-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Every player has his faults, even MJ did something wrong (can't think of anything, though). If you had to choose a weakness for a superstar in the league, what would it be? And do you believe that the superstar will never win the title due to this weakness?

examples:

Kobe - lack of attack to the basket, doesn't share the ball, etc.
Lebron - low FG% on perimeter shooting, FT%, etc.
Dwight - not aggressive on offense, FT%, etc.

you get the idea.

and please, don't just come in with completely sarcastic and disrespectful comments. Let's keep it clean and constructive.

tdunk21
05-01-2009, 03:15 PM
timmy : not attackin basket like he used to, FT

bctgg27
05-01-2009, 03:34 PM
In the earlier years Jordan had trouble sharing the ball. But once the triangle offense was put in, I don't think he really had a major weakness.

Hellcrooner
05-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Jordan didnt have a weakness?????

For gods sake he never cared about Sharing the ball until Phil Jackson met him.

And go chech his 3pot shooting %......

Lakersfan2483
05-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Every player has his faults, even MJ did something wrong (can't think of anything, though). If you had to choose a weakness for a superstar in the league, what would it be? And do you believe that the superstar will never win the title due to this weakness?

examples:

you get the idea.

and please, don't just come in with completely sarcastic and disrespectful comments. Let's keep it clean and constructive.

That is not an accurate assessment of Kobe's weaknesses, if he didn't share the ball he would not be winning 66 games and have his team in position for a title. He avgs. around 6 assists per game which is good for a shooting guard considering that position is an "attack" position on the floor. I understand that you are giving examples of player's weaknesses, but that is an inaccurate statement, Kobe's been a willing passer for awhile now, that argument would hold more weight if it were 2003-04.

bctgg27
05-01-2009, 03:44 PM

That's what I am saying

Rome
05-01-2009, 03:57 PM
That's why you bring in player that can make up for a superstars weakness.

I wish Nash was a lockdown defender.

_Sn1P3r_
05-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Dwight Howard - doesn't have to ability to make big plays consistently down the stretch on offense yet.

lakers4sho
05-01-2009, 04:39 PM

Unfortunately we can't criticize him...that's just the sad truth :(

Afridi786
05-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Wade is in love with 3s, but he isn't a good 3pt shooter. He took nearly 300 3 pointers, and didn't even make a 100 of them.

JordansBulls
05-01-2009, 05:56 PM

He averaged 8 apg in 1989 before Phil Jackson was the coach.

pd7631
05-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Andre Iguodala- Can't shoot, can't dribble, can't pass. He fills up the stat sheet, but only because nobody else on the team is an good. He's a 12ppg 6rpg 3apg on a good team.

Spurred1
05-01-2009, 06:31 PM
TD-His FTs are a problem at times. Some games he's great at them, others he misses almost all of them.
Dirk-Terrible defender and doesn't have a post game.

nyanks79
05-01-2009, 06:37 PM
I think every stars weakness, in generall, is there ego. You see every star in the league such as Kobe, Lebron Dwight and Duncan complain to the refs so much its rediculous. Alos for Lebron and Dwight are bad free throw shooters.

MTone8788
05-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Andre Iguodala- Can't shoot, can't dribble, can't pass. He fills up the stat sheet, but only because nobody else on the team is an good. He's a 12ppg 6rpg 3apg on a good team.

I don't know who you are watching, but Iguodala can definitely pass well.

MTone8788
05-01-2009, 08:04 PM
I think every stars weakness, in generall, is there ego. You see every star in the league such as Kobe, Lebron Dwight and Duncan complain to the refs so much its rediculous. Alos for Lebron and Dwight are bad free throw shooters.

Yeah Tim Duncan is so egotistical that he took a paycut so his team could afford other plays, damn, he is so selfish.

surf and turf
05-01-2009, 08:13 PM
That is not an accurate assessment of Kobe's weaknesses, if he didn't share the ball he would not be winning 66 games and have his team in position for a title. He avgs. around 6 assists per game which is good for a shooting guard considering that position is an "attack" position on the floor. I understand that you are giving examples of player's weaknesses, but that is an inaccurate statement, Kobe's been a willing passer for awhile now, that argument would hold more weight if it were 2003-04.

Im no Laker fan or a big fan of Kobe but he has no real weakness. Just like Jordan. When Jordan came into the leauge he wasnt the shooter he was when he retired. Once he developed that turnaround jumper it was all over. That is the weakness of alot of players. Imagine if Rondo had a deadly jumper.

SJSHARKIES
05-01-2009, 08:17 PM

examples:

you get the idea.

just to add on

Dwight-lacks fundamentals like interior post moves. He relies on his strength and athleticism too much, don't get me wrong he is a specimen, but he has to develop his interior moves. Poor Free Throw Shooter.

Kobe-sometimes he becomes the old Kobe and it becomes all about Kobe.

Lebron-Lacks that killer instincts to finish teams off, improved on FT big time but still needs a little work.

_KB24_
05-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Kobe- "Lack of attack to the basket"?????? That was really stupid but to squeeze out a weakness, i would have to say decision making may be one at times.

Shaq- Free-throw shooting, could easily be one of the 5 greatest of all time if he made em'.

But then again, if you dont have any weaknesses, your not human. What if Dwight can shoot the 3? Game over.

Duncan = Donkey
05-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Steve Nash - Terrible Defender

rabueed
05-02-2009, 05:53 AM

As a fellow Laker fan, I agree with you. Your assessment was on the dot, but I listed it as a general comment made by many people. I didn't want to seem biased and say Kobe has no flaws. :p

rabueed
05-02-2009, 06:00 AM
Kobe- "Lack of attack to the basket"?????? That was really stupid but to squeeze out a weakness, i would have to say decision making may be one at times.

Shaq- Free-throw shooting, could easily be one of the 5 greatest of all time if he made em'.

But then again, if you dont have any weaknesses, your not human. What if Dwight can shoot the 3? Game over.

well, since i'm assuming you watch Laker games, you should realize that he has been taking way more perimeter shots when he has wide lanes to the basket. Don't be ignorant, you should realize this if you're truly critiquing him.
and I never implied that any player is perfect, but these superstars in the NBA nowadays are held in such high regard, that they appear to have no flaws. I'm just trying to find out everyone's opinions on each superstar's "kryptonite" in their own play.

Trouble87
05-02-2009, 07:22 AM

:confused:

surf and turf
05-02-2009, 07:29 AM
You ever hear someone say he is rushing his shot. Well Marbury is doing the opposite. Watch his jumper. He is tryng so hard to get proper form he is almost shooting the ball on the way down from his jump. Two reasons for this. 1 he isnt use to shooting so wide open. That sounds crazy but believe me its uncomfortable when your use to a hand in your face and a little bump since you were 8 years old. 2, HIS CONFIDENCE IS SHOT AND HE IS TRYING TO HARD. What he actualy needs to do is rush his shot a little bit. Less time to think about it and the release will be more what his brain and muscles are use to.

surf and turf
05-02-2009, 07:31 AM
sorry guys i thought i clicked the starbury thread

EX-TREME
05-02-2009, 05:02 PM
dwight - could devlop some post moves. would be nice if he had a 15 - 18 foot j. not a great passer but shown soome signs improving in that area. poor ft shooter. tends to be a goofball on gametimme and he is not focused. can be easily frustrated when play him hard or push him out of the positon (see 2008 playoffs magic vs pistons)

tr4shb0t
05-02-2009, 05:18 PM
kobe-has a tendency to shoot another 3pt shot immediately after one he makes one. also, you can also tell when he wants to take a shot 1v1 against a defender. basically, he is predictable a lot of times.

lebron-needs to work on jumper and freethrows, chokes often

kingkobe
05-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Yeah Tim Duncan is so egotistical that he took a paycut so his team could afford other plays, damn, he is so selfish.

I don't know where you are getting this paycut idea. Last i remember he got a 130mil max contract. And this year he is getting around 21mil. Please tell me how that's a paycut??

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

montazingmvp
05-03-2009, 12:25 AM

lol before mj was coached by phil jackson he avg'd 8 ast per game in a season...higher than lebron james...i wouldn't call that selfish.

and mj's career 3pt% is pretty close to kobe's so what are you talking about...

i think it is wise to not comment on things you aren't familiar with

montazingmvp
05-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Im no Laker fan or a big fan of Kobe but he has no real weakness. Just like Jordan. When Jordan came into the leauge he wasnt the shooter he was when he retired. Once he developed that turnaround jumper it was all over. That is the weakness of alot of players. Imagine if Rondo had a deadly jumper.

kobe has no weakness? lol...how about shot selection...throughout his career he's never shot even close to 50%, his average is 45%...mj had several seasons of shooting above 50% from the field...that is one major difference between kobe and mj and it is one of the many reasons why mj is a far superior player to kobe

Er1c
05-03-2009, 12:33 AM
kobe-has a tendency to shoot another 3pt shot immediately after one he makes one. also, you can also tell when he wants to take a shot 1v1 against a defender. basically, he is predictable a lot of times.

lebron-needs to work on jumper and freethrows, chokes often

predictable. but no one can stop it

J-Relo
05-03-2009, 01:44 AM
LEBRON has NO weakness!