PDA

View Full Version : (1) Lakers vs. (5) Rockets - Rd.2 Series (4-3) - LA Lakers Wins Series!!!

Pages : [1] 2

DenButsu
05-01-2009, 06:09 AM
( 1 ) LA Lakers (65-17) vs. (5) Houston Rockets (53-29)

LA Lakers will have the Homecourt Advantage

LA Lakers Win Series 4-3 Series Breakdown

Game 1 Houston 100 LA Lakers 92 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AjqsuIkiqNx3vWeryns7W0OQvLYF?gid=200 9050413)
Game 2 LA Lakers 111 Houston 98 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AmC_bnATojysR2ZH6.9fZZG8vLYF?gid=200 9050613)
Game 3 LA Lakers 108 Houston 94 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=Ani8Jgo8fQ.qmjIFP7eGPgK8vLYF?gid=200 9050810)
Game 4 Houston 99 LA Lakers 87 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AghbO0gqZ1lxivY9aOAxqle8vLYF?gid=200 9051010)
Game 5 LA Lakers 118 Houston 78 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2009051213)
Game 6 Houston 95 LA Lakers 80 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AgbZmUu8.dGTt4LEBJE9rjy8vLYF?gid=200 9051410)
Game 7 LA Lakers 89 Houston 70 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AtsUt1lg6YOGylJdQoRADNi8vLYF?gid=200 9051713)

REGULAR SEASON SERIES
Lakers Won Season Series 4-0
November 9, 2008 Rockets 82 @ Lakers 111
January 13, 2009 Lakers 105 @ Rockets 100
March 11, 2009 Lakers 102 @ Rockets 96
April 3, 2009 Rockets 81 @ Lakers 93

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp109/KHinrich12/Team%20Logos/Lakers.png Projected Starting Lineup

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/3125.jpghttp://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/3118.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/2426.jpghttp://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/3513.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/2748.jpg

PG - Derek Fisher
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - Trevor Ariza
PF - Pau Gasol
C - Andrew Bynum

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp109/KHinrich12/Team%20Logos/Rockets.png Projected Starting Lineup

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/3192.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/25.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/976.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/1781.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/2834.jpg

PG - Aaron Brooks
SG - Ron Artest
SF - Shane Battier
PF - Luis Scola
C - Chuck Hayes

Who will win this Western Conference 1st Round Series?

rabueed
05-01-2009, 06:29 AM
I'm just gonna say it, Lakers in 5.

mfb_lt1birdman
05-01-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm going to agree. Lakers in 5. But all really close, competitive games.

Trying to look past the fact we won all 4 in the regular season I just don't see the Rockets having enough firepower. Yao will certainly get his through the inexperienced Bynum or undersized Gasol, but he has just never been a dominant guy. Sure he will get around 25-30 and 10+ boards, and a few blocks, which are great numbers, but it won't be a game/series changing performance. Other than that the Rockets have an inconsitant Artest, and some really solid role players. Their only hope will be using their elite defenders in Artest and Battier to slow down Kobe. Which they will a bit, but as shown in the regular season, not enough. Pau will own Scola and Lamar off the bench will be key. Just too much offensive prowess for LA.

brandt
05-01-2009, 07:41 AM
I'm just gonna say it, Lakers in 5.

Being a Rockets fan I think the Lakers are better, have more depth, and have a better chance of winning the series period. No way they win it in 5 though. The Rockets are better than most people think, and will put up a fight. Not saying the Rockets will win the series, but they aren't gona lose it in 5 either.

JayW_1023
05-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Lakers in six...Houston will put some gutsy defensive efforts here and there...but I think the Lakers depth and athleticism will prove too much in the end.

LakersIn5
05-01-2009, 08:35 AM
LAKERS IN 5. rockets are better than most people blah blah blah blah blah! thats what they said about the jazz. artest just cant stop kobe this season. and the lakers is simple better

thedfactor
05-01-2009, 08:51 AM
at least ron artest won't have to guard anyone better than brandon roy in this series...

Jay22Redd
05-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Rockets in 7 just because ima true Rockets fan!!!

handbanana55
05-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Rockets in 7 just because ima true Rockets fan!!!

x2:clap::clap::clap::clap:

lakers4sho
05-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Lakers in 5, 6 tops.

theimortalone
05-01-2009, 10:21 AM
I said Rockets in 7. :shrug:

Raidaz4Life
05-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Lakers in 6 and that is because I have a little faith in Houston to live up to the hype they received at the beginning of the season but deep down they haven't proven they can beat the Lakers.

showtym24
05-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Lakers in 5

RelaxedFan
05-01-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm a Houston fan so I am going to think our guys can do it...

I could be wrong (because we haven't really proven it), but if any team can hold Kobe down for a whole series, it COULD be Houston w/ Shane and Ron.

Point Guard play will be big in this series too. Aaron Brooks and Kyle Lowry are both giving up 45 and 30 pounds to Derek Fisher and years of playoff experience. BUT Aaron and Kyle are quick little guys that could cause fits for the Lakers.

If Rockets are going to win, Yao will have to take his game to another level.

Basic points but this is going to be interesting...
Rockets in 6

LA_Raiders
05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Lakers in 4, Kobe will get Artest & Battier in foul trouble all games....

theimortalone
05-01-2009, 10:49 AM

Wow, Lakers in 4, are you that cocky about this series? :pity: Ron Artest will shut down Kobe! Quote me on it.

JordansBulls
05-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I gotta feeling this series is going 7 games.

More shats!
05-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Lakers in 5

skny_txn
05-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Rockets in 6. If the Lakers try to take Yao out of this series by fronting him...all thats going to do is open up the floor for the rest of the Rockets. By doing this the Lakers make everyone on the Rockets contribute which only breeds confidence. If the Lakers dont front Yao, he will dominate on the offensive side. The Lakers best not get too cocky with this one...it could very well come back to bite them.

todu82
05-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Lakers in 6

Brooke
05-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Lakers in 6

The Lakers aren't just about stopping Kobe anymore, they are very deep

Brooke
05-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Ron Artest will shut down Kobe! Quote me on it.

like he did last time???

BTW not all Lakers fans think it will be 4. I am guessing either 6 or 7

sep11ie
05-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Rockets in 6. My boy Ron Ron wants this too bad. Plus it would just be great for the Rockets to win without She-Mac.

magicbucs4eva
05-01-2009, 11:28 AM
no team can hold kobe down!! this team is way to deep

theimortalone
05-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Rockets in 6. If the Lakers try to take Yao out of this series by fronting him...all thats going to do is open up the floor for the rest of the Rockets. By doing this the Lakers make everyone on the Rockets contribute which only breeds confidence. If the Lakers dont front Yao, he will dominate on the offensive side. The Lakers best not get too cocky with this one...it could very well come back to bite them.

:clap:

mfb_lt1birdman
05-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Wow, Lakers in 4, are you that cocky about this series? :pity: Ron Artest will shut down Kobe! Quote me on it.

Kobe will still get at least 25 ppg and shoot at least 45%. Quote me on that. Is that considered shutting him down?

:rolleyes: If 15.8 ppg is dominating I'm not too scared. Thats what he averaged against Portland. Even if he puts up 25 a game who cares. The fact is Yao does not ever DOMINATE a game. Houston has solid role players and a good team defense but noone to take over a game. And please don't even mention Ron Artest. He is far too inconsistant.

The fact is Houston will play us tough I have no doubt. Kobe will be marginally slowed by a good defense. But Pau and Odom will have their way with the Rockets. There will be no blowouts in this series but it is over in 5 maybe 6. Too much firepower for LA and noone to count on down the stretch in close games for Houston.

Namy
05-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I see Lakers in 6.

It will be a tough and physical series. Kobe will probably get frustrated for a couple games but go lights out after. I can see both Houston and LA stealing a road game in the first four games, followed by LA closing out the next two.

But honestly, I don't think stopping Kobe is the answer to beating LA. The challenge is stopping the Laker team. In the Den-NO series, Paul became ineffective by shutting down the West, Stojakavic, Posey, etc (granted, the Lakers are MUCH better than the Hornets). But I think the concept holds true... Houston needs to limit Pau and Lamar. They also absolutely cnanot afford to let role players like Farmar, Vujacic, etc to be productive

Kabowdos
05-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Lakers in 5.

No one is this world can stop Kobe Bryant.

Artest and Shane are both are going to be dead tired after chasing around Kobe all game long. They aren't going to be that productive offensively. We have a great defender for their best offensive player Yao. Lakers got this series.

Kabowdos
05-01-2009, 11:56 AM
I see Lakers in 6.

It will be a tough and physical series. Kobe will probably get frustrated for a couple games but go lights out after. I can see both Houston and LA stealing a road game in the first four games, followed by LA closing out the next two.

But honestly, I don't think stopping Kobe is the answer to beating LA. The challenge is stopping the Laker team. In the Den-NO series, Paul became ineffective by shutting down the West, Stojakavic, Posey, etc (granted, the Lakers are MUCH better than the Hornets). But I think the concept holds true... Houston needs to limit Pau and Lamar. They also absolutely cnanot afford to let role players like Farmar, Vujacic, etc to be productive

I agree. Trying to stop just one player never really works. They need to play complete defense. I just see the Lakers being too much for the Rockets defensively. Lakers are the best offensive team in the league. They just match up well against the Rockets. They weren't 4-0 against them for no reason.

Kabowdos
05-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Rockets in 6. My boy Ron Ron wants this too bad. Plus it would just be great for the Rockets to win without She-Mac.

Homer! I'll bet anything that the Rockets don't win in 6. I'd actually bet my life.

DenButsu
05-01-2009, 12:00 PM
I just voted Lakers in 7. It'lll probably go 6, but I'm going to extend the benefit of the doubt of one game to Houston based on Yao. No matter how the cookie crumbles, should be a great series!

skny_txn
05-01-2009, 12:03 PM
:rolleyes: If 15.8 ppg is dominating I'm not too scared. Thats what he averaged against Portland. Even if he puts up 25 a game who cares. The fact is Yao does not ever DOMINATE a game. Houston has solid role players and a good team defense but noone to take over a game. And please don't even mention Ron Artest. He is far too inconsistant.

The Rockets beat a team that the Lakers have a hard time beating and Yao only averaged 15.8 points for the series...maybe that should scare you. You proved my point...Yao doesnt have to dominate for the Rockets to win.

fredv
05-01-2009, 12:14 PM
I'd like the series to go to 7! I really hope we can see an amazing series, just like what is happening between Chicago and Boston!

Oh and don't forget my boy Von Wafer, the boy got career high games against the Lakers!

(im also waiting for that Machine video - I secret wish Machine will talk about Scola's beautiful hair) :D

Fool
05-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Lakers in 5 or 6...

AWC713
05-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Im a Rockets fan, and I'm honestly worried about this series. But, at the same time, people need to realize that there's a reason the Rockets have come this far.

Kobe's one hell of a player, but I can guarantee you the Rockets will show up. Adelmen is a great coach. Amazing coach. He'll have his team ready, so I wouldnt be suprised to see this series go to 6, maybe 7 games.

BTW, I'm sick of listening to ignorant Lakers fans, so please only say something if it's intelligent.

Posts like "MAAAHHH LAKKEERRZ IN 4 SWEEP BABY SWEEP CITY HAHAHAHAHA CHAMPIONSHIP" don't deserve to be read.

sep11ie
05-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Homer! I'll bet anything that the Rockets don't win in 6. I'd actually bet my life.

Wow, you're gonna call me a homer for saying my favorite team will win? I call it HAVING FAITH IN MY TEAM. Since Houston gets NO love from any of the networks, ya'll haven't seen this team come together like we have. Don't quote me again unless you have something to add to or argue with my original post.

leftymo
05-01-2009, 12:56 PM
This series will be short. Its a bad matchup for Houston.

5 games is realistic. 4 games is certainly a possibility.

One team is playing for the 2nd round, the other is playing for a title...

The loss of Mutumbo will hurt the Rockets, b/c in the end it'll come down to the depth and length of the Lakers.

LA doesn't play one on one ball like the Blazers do. Just like Houston owned the matchup with Portland, LA owns the matchup with Houston.

GoatMilk
05-01-2009, 12:58 PM
the only people picking Houston are Laker haters who would pick them to lose to even the Clippers, Kings, or Wizards

I say Lakers in 5

still1ballin
05-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Lakers in 5.....IMO this series will be easier then the Jazz series.

GREATNESS ONE
05-01-2009, 01:33 PM
at least ron artest won't have to guard anyone better than brandon roy in this series...

haha no he wont,
I Voted 5 but this series could easily go 6. Rockets have plenty of height and 2 very good defensive wing players. The problem is they are playing Kobe

ULT WARRIOR408
05-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Even though i hate the lakers comon sense says they take this series in 6 games.:puke:

Btw im crossing my fingers hoping the rockets take this series:clap:

teckmunny
05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
lets go west coast lakers!!!!!!lakers in 5!!

teckmunny
05-01-2009, 01:58 PM
man y are these houston rocket fans on this thread!!!this is laker town man!!!

rabueed
05-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't see how the Rockets could possibly win this series? I'll give them a game or two, but no more.

Honestly, though, I don't want to offend anybody, but can a Houston fan give me a scenario of how we could lose? We just match up unbelievably against them. We've beaten you guys without Bynum twice and without Odom once and without Vujacic (:p) once....We didn't use shannon brown in any of the games against you, either.

Kobe averaged 28 pts, 5 asts, 4 reb. 44-83 shooting total, 53%. Artest? Battier?
Yao averaged 15 pts, 10 reb, 3 blks, 3 TOs. not mind blowing.

We swept the season series. Won by an average of 13 points...

I just don't see it....

I get this is the playoffs, and the season doesn't matter anymore, but give me an indication that shows that Houston might win.

mfb_lt1birdman
05-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I get this is the playoffs, and the season doesn't matter anymore, but give me an indication that shows that Houston might win.

Pau breaks a leg. Battier and Artest LOCK DOWN Kobe to an average of 12 ppg on 27% shooting for the series. Yao DOMINATES and averages 42 ppg with 12 boards, and 7 blocks. Houston wins in 7. That was fun :)

jackyyy
05-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Lakers in 4 is what i want

but realistically Lakers in 5.

Raidaz4Life
05-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't see how the Rockets could possibly win this series? I'll give them a game or two, but no more.

Honestly, though, I don't want to offend anybody, but can a Houston fan give me a scenario of how we could lose? We just match up unbelievably against them. We've beaten you guys without Bynum twice and without Odom once and without Vujacic (:p) once....We didn't use shannon brown in any of the games against you, either.

Kobe averaged 28 pts, 5 asts, 4 reb. 44-83 shooting total, 53%. Artest? Battier?

I just don't see it....

Thank you but I guess Houston fans seem to think everything will just magically turn around

jimbobjarree
05-01-2009, 02:46 PM
I can see it being Lakers in 5...but good luck Houston, give em hell

SportsLA1985
05-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Lakers in 5. They will win first 2 games and home split the 2 on the road and finish off the Rockets in game 5.. i wouldn't be shocked though if this series goes 7.. but ill stick with Lakers in 5...

Vidball
05-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Lakers in 5. Gasol will give HOU fits and the pace the Lakers play at will really hurt Yao. Battier/Artest couldn't do much to Kobe during the regular season and Kobe's 1st round play was his best ball of the season (not his best stats, but his most solid performances). I would be more surprised if the Rockets won 2 games than I would be if they didn't win any.

AWC713
05-01-2009, 03:09 PM
do the lakers have floppers? is gasol one?

Reyes6
05-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Being a Rockets fan, I desperately want to say Rockets in 7.

But, from a logical fan perspective it'll probably be Lakers in 4-5. With the lack of depth in paint on the Rockets roster, I can't see them contending. If they move Dorsey in and become a 3-pt knockdown team... maybe, but logically I will say Lakers in 4-5. But my heart says Rockets in 7 and when I watch that is what I will be hoping for.

Lakersfan2483
05-01-2009, 03:35 PM
I gotta feeling this series is going 7 games.

I don't see Houston winning 3 games against LA, so you see them beating LA twice in Houston and once in LA? Wow, come on JB. Lakers in 5 games. LA will win the first 2, game 3 will be close and Houston may pull that one out because it's tough to beat a team 7 straight games in the NBA. ( IF you count the 4 straight wins in the regular season) LA will get a game in Houston and close them out in Game 5.

TEXASTITAN
05-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Rockets in 6 or 7 battier and artest are 2 of the best defenders in the league if they both have to be on the floor and on kobe than so be it. One thing is for sure if we lose the series it won't be because kobe beat us. yao vs bynum=yao wins gasol vs scola=toss up artest/battier vs kobe=you lose the series

Raidaz4Life
05-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Rockets in 6 or 7 battier and artest are 2 of the best defenders in the league if they both have to be on the floor and on kobe than so be it. One thing is for sure if we lose the series it won't be because kobe beat us. yao vs bynum=yao wins gasol vs scola=toss up artest/battier vs kobe=you lose the series

lol did you seriously say Gasol vs Scola is a toss up? Gasol is going to be the key to us winning this series because he will dominate a severely undersized Scola. Way to be a homer.

leftymo
05-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Yao averaged 10 FG/game against the Blazers.

If Yao averages around 10 shots/game against the Lakers, they will not only sweep them, but not a single game will even be remotely close.

Here's a formula for hope for Rockets fans... LA will get out to a big lead, let Houston come back only to close them out.

That doesn't mean LA lacks killer instinct. It just means there is a HUGE gap between these two teams, and mostly everyone knows it.

When Yao Ming, your best player is 4th on the team in FGA/game... it means you are your own worst enemy.

As much as defense is the key, it really becomes a matter of whether Houston can score enough to keep up with LA. And if the ball isn't in Yao's hands, the answer will be no.

Vidball
05-01-2009, 04:53 PM
do the lakers have floppers? is gasol one?

The only flopper on the team is Derek Fisher...he's the best in the business at it too.

NotVeryOriginal
05-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I meant to vote Lakers in 7 but the screen kept sticking then rolled down when I clicked and ended up voting for PocketRockets in 6. Can a mod change this please?:):)

Statik1
05-01-2009, 05:48 PM
What shocked me aobut the Rockets Portland series was how poorly Joe Przybilla and Oden did against Yao. Those two centers are strictly defensive centers and they both got worked by Yao.

Verbal Christ
05-01-2009, 05:51 PM
what do the rockets have to lose? their biggest obstacle has been overcome, now they can play loose, nobody expects them to win, we thrive in an underdog role, and we will let it hang out. if you ask me the pressure continues to be on the lakers because anything less than a championship will mean a bad season, while the rockets continue to prove people wrong. where are all those clowns who said we were done when we lost TMac? how bout those expert predictions on the first round? great you guys whipped up on the 8th seed, after a near 70 win season you would think you wouldnt base your argument on that tidbit. regular season records mean nothing in the playoffs, we are utilizing wrinkles that were not seen in the regular season. im surprised i havent seen the obligatory "bynum is better than yao' lines yet, but its early. good luck.

Statik1
05-01-2009, 05:54 PM
what do the rockets have to lose? their biggest obstacle has been overcome, now they can play loose, nobody expects them to win, we thrive in an underdog role, and we will let it hang out. if you ask me the pressure continues to be on the lakers because anything less than a championship will mean a bad season, while the rockets continue to prove people wrong. where are all those clowns who said we were done when we lost TMac? how bout those expert predictions on the first round? great you guys whipped up on the 8th seed, after a near 70 win season you would think you wouldnt base your argument on that tidbit. regular season records mean nothing in the playoffs, we are utilizing wrinkles that were not seen in the regular season. im surprised i havent seen the obligatory "bynum is better than yao' lines yet, but its early. good luck.

The 2nd round of the NBA playoffs......

Where growing balls in unfamiliar territory happens...... :eyebrow:

Verbal Christ
05-01-2009, 06:00 PM
The 2nd round of the NBA playoffs......

Where growing balls in unfamiliar territory happens...... :eyebrow:

how's that 'growing balls'? unfamilar territory? so this was the first time we've ever advanced huh? funny bunny.

The Laker Fan Base, where being cocky gets confused with confidence. it will suck for you if an upset happens, you know what those are right? but of course the lakers cant be beaten, by anyone ever. LMAO.

FOBolous
05-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Contrary to popular believe...I don't think the Lakers are a bad match up for Houston...in fact, I think it's quite the contrary. I think Houston is a bad match up for the Lakers. The Lakers play very well because the opposing team has to always double Kobe and Pau thus leaving other players open and giving the other players chances but the Rockets doesn't have to double anyone on the Lakers. Artest and Battier can hold their own against Kobe by themselves and Yao should have no problem holding Pau by himself. I think Artest and Battier will wear Kobe down over the course of the series because they will take turns on him so Kobe will always have to face a fresh defender.

On the offensive end, if the Lakers decide to guard Yao 1 on 1 with either Pau or Bynum, Yao will dominate. 1 on 1 defense doesn't work against Yao. So the Lakers HAVE TO double Yao and if the Lakers double Yao, our role players will have room to operate and they will carry us to wins. like they carried us against Portland when Portland doubled Yao.

so yeea...Rockets in 6 :)

Norg
05-01-2009, 06:08 PM
seriously the only way the rockets have a chance is if 2 of the lakers starters get injured

if Kobe goes down THis will be a sweep

if luis scoal steps up his game he will be deadly in this seriious

and esp if our bench comes in and turnz the heat up we will be a scoring machine all Waffer and others

Verbal Christ
05-01-2009, 06:20 PM
hey does vujacic still shed 'manly' tears?

Statik1
05-01-2009, 06:28 PM

DA MACHINE DOES NOT CRY! HE ONLY SHOOT BASKETBALL! MACHINE IS EXCELLENT SHOOTER http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ649-BLmto

AllTheWay
05-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Lakers in 5. Time to finally put down this pathetic myth that the Rockets can beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. Time to dominate.

Spurred1
05-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Lakers in 6. Houston will give them a good series, though.

superkegger
05-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Lakers in 5. Lakers swept the season series, and the Rockets haven't of the sudden become a much better team.

Here's the thing, the Lakers were very effective at limiting Yao in the regular season by getting out and running and picking up the pace of the game, where Yao struggles mightily, and the Lakers play much better. Expect more of the same in this regard. We'll get out and run, and either make Yao run, making him leadfooted and ineffective and tired. While Yao will still have some decent games, Bynum will be more comfortable going against an actual big instead of Okur or Milsap.
What getting out and playing at a quicker pace also does for the Lakers, besides making Yao less effective, is it puts the ball in Ron Artests hands, and makes him their go to guy, which I am very comfortable with as a Lakers fan.
Plus, the depth just isn't there for the Rockets. They can try and go small against us when Yao is out, but with limited offensive options on the interior, it won't give Bynum the same problems that Utah did. Guarding Chuck Hayes is simply not as demanding as Milsap. And in that same regard, after Yao the size of the Rockets without Mutumbo is limited, giving the Laker frontline an even stronger advantage, meaning we can speed it up against Yao and slow it down when he's out.
I simply don't see the weapons there for the Rockets. Not to mention, as good as defenders Ron and Shane are, they haven't proved all that effective on Kobe this year, so that really doesn't worry me all that much. Kobe will get his, and with Ron and Shane on him, he'll look to be a facilitator, which he has clearly shown he can do.

Chronz
05-01-2009, 06:41 PM

I just don't see it....

A few notable facts you disregarded

You cited the PT differential of +13

But one of those games came in the very early stage of the season when Tmac and Artest were both struggling with their health (they shot 3-22 in the game) and Battier was out altogether.

In the games since then youve won one game by 5Pts, another by 6, and the last by 8. All contested games won in the closing possessions. The Lakers are easily the most talented team in the league so obviously its in their favor but your asking for reasons why it might be close.

horry1ur
05-01-2009, 07:01 PM
The Rockets beat a team that the Lakers have a hard time beating and Yao only averaged 15.8 points for the series...maybe that should scare you. You proved my point...Yao doesnt have to dominate for the Rockets to win.

Funny that you said that..
If you actually thought about it we just beat a team(two times in two years) that has beaten you guys in the First Round.
Whats your point?

horry1ur
05-01-2009, 07:03 PM

No but the Rockets will be after we give them a whooping.
Lakers in 6

IversonIsKrazy
05-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Lakers in 5, unless Rockets put on a real fight, then Lakers in 6.

horry1ur
05-01-2009, 07:06 PM

Can you give me some examples in where exactly the Rockets have "thrived" in an Underdog role?

MickeyMgl
05-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Lakers in 7

D-Amazins
05-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Kobe will still get at least 25 ppg and shoot at least 45%. Quote me on that. Is that considered shutting him down?

Kobe wont shoot 45%. He might drop those 25 PPG tho, which is kobe on a regular day which I think is exactly where Ron Ron needs him at. I Dont think Kobe will have a game where he drops 40.

still1ballin
05-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Contrary to popular believe...I don't think the Lakers are a bad match up for Houston...in fact, I think it's quite the contrary. I think Houston is a bad match up for the Lakers. The Lakers play very well because the opposing team has to always double Kobe and Pau thus leaving other players open and giving the other players chances but the Rockets doesn't have to double anyone on the Lakers. Artest and Battier can hold their own against Kobe by themselves and Yao should have no problem holding Pau by himself. I think Artest and Battier will wear Kobe down over the course of the series because they will take turns on him so Kobe will always have to face a fresh defender.

On the offensive end, if the Lakers decide to guard Yao 1 on 1 with either Pau or Bynum, Yao will dominate. 1 on 1 defense doesn't work against Yao. So the Lakers HAVE TO double Yao and if the Lakers double Yao, our role players will have room to operate and they will carry us to wins. like they carried us against Portland when Portland doubled Yao.

:laugh2:

horry1ur
05-01-2009, 07:24 PM

Stupidiest thing ive seen all day haha thanks for the good laugh
Especially the Gasol v.s Scola matchup lol
Oh yeah and the Artest/Battier match up on Kobe just leaves Fisher(3 pt shooter) open Odom free to go to the hoop and also Ariza(capable of exploding for 20+ pts)going to the basket more easier
Have fun and the best of luck your team will need it
Thank you for playing better luck next time.

I think you're an idiot... These are the playoffs and this is their first trip out of the first round in 12 years do you honestly expect them to lay down for la? Who wouldve thought that the bulls would have given the celtics so many problems and great games.The rockets will win this series because you discount them and refuse to believe they can beat the lakers bynum is a joke for your team and id take scola/yao in the paint anyday over bynum/gasol good luck with that. Kobe is going to have his own problems with battier/artest so what is crackhead lamar odom going to win the series for you i don't think so.

Because your a Rockets fan.
But dont underestimate "CrackHead"(btw he smokes pot, therefore making him a pot head) Lamar Odom did you see what he can do(example: game against Cavaliers when Kobe was sick he played out of his mind) and if he takes a extra snort of "Crack" he can play out of his mind

pippsux
05-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Rockets in 7. Yao has to be the beast that I know he can be. He has to give us 20 10 3 for us to win. He is our best weapon and most efficient. His success will draw defenders to him and open up shots for Scola, Battier, Artest, Brooks et al. Gasol and Bynum are not as physical as Prizbilla and Oden, so Yao should exploit that. This is Yao time! He has to play with the passion and IQ he displayed in game 6 and game 1 against the Blazers. Fighting for position constantly and not standing in the same spot waiting for the entry pass. Set quick picks for pick and pop opportunities and most important, making passes to teammates who are not being guarded...i.e. Kobe's man or Fisher's man. Rockets have to continue to keep Yao involved. If the entry pass can't be made set Yao up for pick and pop shots.

These Rockets were counted out all season with internal distractions and turmoil, but from that they grew and made this season a memorable one. Everybody said "oh my God! Nobody wants to play the Blazers" " Blazers are too athletic, too good, too blah blah blah."....The rockets got physical and ended the series the way they started it, with a blow out.

Rockets are underdogs once again, expected to fall to the mighty Lakers, but I am not buying the Kool aid. The Lakers are going to have to show me how good they really are. Not as good as the analysts say they are.

And before everybody starts taking my quotes and saying " you must have lost your mind.Rockets can't beat LA, they might steal one" or "Rockets can't win a game 7 in LA". To those responses I say, unless somebody has a crystal ball <maybe they can tell me who wins the Preakness> we all are just guessing and giving opinion. Should be a great series.

I can't wait for this battle. This is Yao time! :jumpy: :jumpy:

FaceDown91
05-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Lakers in five. I don't see the Rockets being able to do that much damage. Tougher then the Jazz yes but they just don't have anybody that can take over a game. And if Rocket fans are gonna put their faith on Yao Ming to be that guy, then good luck with that...really...

brandt
05-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Lakers in 5.....IMO this series will be easier then the Jazz series.

I hope the Lakers think that way. It always helps when a team is over confindent and cocky, thinking that their opponent is going to be a breeze. Next thing you know you get bit in the ***.

Game_Over
05-01-2009, 07:46 PM

LMAO!! I voted Lakers in 7..

still1ballin
05-01-2009, 07:48 PM
I hope the Lakers think that way. It always helps when a team is over confindent and cocky, thinking that their opponent is going to be a breeze. Next thing you know you get bit in the ***.

Like I said....IMO.......Lakers just dominated the Rockets this season, I don't see the outcome differently. Lakers are just too much for the Rockets IMO.

ddaughtry
05-01-2009, 09:01 PM
The only way the Rockets win a game is if Kobe has another 5 for 24 shooting performance.

Brooke
05-01-2009, 09:05 PM

not all Laker fans feel that way.....

beating the Lakers isnt just about stopping Kobe anymore

BTW Odom will/can be a problem, he is a tough cover for any team

kimchi'sworld
05-01-2009, 09:20 PM

I agree, the lakers will not be doubled so their won't be many open shooters, but they will be more likely to double Yao and he'll kick it out to the 3 point shooters. Houston will slow the game down to a grinding half-court game so the lakers will have a hard time with their uptempo transition game.

I think Houstons second unit will be the difference in the series . If they can put up points, and their speed and quickness of the guards can outplay lakers bench guards then they have a good chance.

I said rockets in 6. I would of said 4 if I was being really homer or if Mutombo and T-mac we're in this series. I feel they have to win game 1 in la for it to happen otherwise it will go to 6 or 7 in la's favor. Kobe will get his points against artest/battier but I feel if LA dominates this series Lamar Odom and Pau Gasol will be the key to it happening

good luck to LA and fans

Go Rockets in 6

lorenz00
05-01-2009, 09:49 PM
lakers in 4!!! trust me!

Statik1
05-01-2009, 10:23 PM

They see me trollin they haaaattttiiiinnn Gotta catch me trollin dirty

.....:clap: nice post count..... OBVIOUS TROLL IS OBVIOUS!

Penetra8r
05-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Lake show in 5

lakerboy
05-02-2009, 12:02 AM
I can't believe some people are voting for the Rockets.

Even Tmac said the Lakers will own them.

FOBolous
05-02-2009, 01:17 AM
:laugh2:

why are you laughing? Your team is very much like our team...both of our teams have great role players who knows how to capitalize on the attention that our star players get...that's why both of our teams play so well. But the Rockets are one of the very few teams in the league that doesn't need to double Kobe or Pau. We have players that's capable of keeping both Kobe and Pau in check by themselves without much help so that means our other players can concentrate on their man. Because of that...your role players won't have very much openings to capitalize on the offensive end.

But Yao...I agree it's easy to contain Yao...if you have two defenders on him. Yao have a lot of trouble fighting through double teams hence his low PPG average in the playoffs but just because he's only averaging 15 pts a game doesn't mean you can relax on put only 1 defender on him. no. if you do..he'll dominate. Yao can't be guarded 1on1. No big men in the league today is capable of holding Yao by themselves. Shaq can't do it, Dwight Howard can't do it...Bynum/Gasol definitely can't do it by themselves. Because of that, the Lakers HAVE TO double Yao which means SOMEONE will be open and our role players, like your role players, are VERY capable of taking advantage of the attention Yao gets...they're the reason why we beat Portland.

so with that in mind...Houston does have a very good chance of beating the Lakers. The Lakers have to make an adjustment against Houston on the offensive end but Houston doesn't have to make any adjustment against the Lakers on the offensive end...that's the beauty of Yao's game. Yao doesn't put up big numbers on the board...must like how Billups' numbers doesn't jump out at you...BUT like Billups, Yao contributes in a way that doesn't show up on the stats sheet. That's what makes Yao so dominating even though he doesn't have a high PPG average.

So watch out Lakers...I wouldn't get too overconfident/cocky if I were you.

leftymo
05-02-2009, 01:49 AM
It's a good thing that Yao's great contributions show up in stats that don't include PPG.

The only way to beat the Lakers by the Rockets is if Yao puts up points. Houston doesn't go to him often enough and that's why Houston will lose. They simply can't match the firepower of the Lakers.

Of the playoff teams in the west.

1. Dallas
2. Houston
3. Denver
4. SA
5. NO
6. Utah
7. Portland

Is the ORDER in which MOST Laker fans would prefer to play their opponent. Utah gives LA fits b/c of their physical play and their tough homecourt. Houston has neither.

If Yao doesn't score, Houston won't win. Scola struggles against the bigger Pau offensively and defensively. Artest well, you saw his FG% against Portland...

So who's left? Your rookie PG? Landry vs. Odom? I'm pretty sure this will be the easiest playoff team for the Lakers.

dsonLAL24
05-02-2009, 01:52 AM
why are you laughing? Your team is very much like our team...both of our teams have great role players who knows how to capitalize on the attention that our star players get...that's why both of our teams play so well. But the Rockets are one of the very few teams in the league that doesn't need to double Kobe or Pau. We have players that's capable of keeping both Kobe and Pau in check by themselves without much help so that means our other players can concentrate on their man. Because of that...your role players won't have very much openings to capitalize on the offensive end.

But Yao...I agree it's easy to contain Yao...if you have two defenders on him. Yao have a lot of trouble fighting through double teams hence his low PPG average in the playoffs but just because he's only averaging 15 pts a game doesn't mean you can relax on put only 1 defender on him. no. if you do..he'll dominate. Yao can't be guarded 1on1. No big men in the league today is capable of holding Yao by themselves. Shaq can't do it, Dwight Howard can't do it...Bynum/Gasol definitely can't do it by themselves. Because of that, the Lakers HAVE TO double Yao which means SOMEONE will be open and our role players, like your role players, are VERY capable of taking advantage of the attention Yao gets...they're the reason why we beat Portland.

so with that in mind...Houston does have a very good chance of beating the Lakers. The Lakers have to make an adjustment against Houston on the offensive end but Houston doesn't have to make any adjustment against the Lakers on the offensive end...that's the beauty of Yao's game. Yao doesn't put up big numbers on the board...must like how Billups' numbers doesn't jump out at you...BUT like Billups, Yao contributes in a way that doesn't show up on the stats sheet. That's what makes Yao so dominating even though he doesn't have a high PPG average.

tell me in what game in the 4 games we played in the reg season did Artest and Battier stop Kobe?
game 1 23 pts Lakers win
game 2 33 pts Lakers win
game 3 37 pts Lakers win
game 4 20 pts Lakers win

Like Kenny Smith said, it's like trying to stop water leaking through the wall. When you try to stop one leak there will be another one and so on.

superkegger
05-02-2009, 02:24 AM

We don't have to double Yao all the time. We'll double some, obviously, he requires it at times. But there's an easier and more effective way for us to take Yao out of the game. Run. If we pick up the pace, and make him get up and down the court, something the Blazers don't do, they're the slowest paced team in the NBA, it will help to limit Yao's effectiveness. We did it in the regular season, and we'll look to do it as much as possible in this series.

Sure Yao will still put up some numbers, but over the course of a game, and a series, playing at that pace will limit Yao. It's what we did this year and it held Yao to 15.8 PPG, 10.3 RPG, 56% FG%, 53.8% FT%. Not bad numbers, but we didn't hold him to that by doubling him every time, but by running.

That's our answer to Yao, and it's proven effective.

FOBolous
05-02-2009, 02:39 AM
tell me in what game in the 4 games we played in the reg season did Artest and Battier stop Kobe?
game 1 23 pts Lakers win
game 2 33 pts Lakers win
game 3 37 pts Lakers win
game 4 20 pts Lakers win

Like Kenny Smith said, it's like trying to stop water leaking through the wall. When you try to stop one leak there will be another one and so on.

lol...this is a 7 game series. Teams will have PLENTY of time to figure each other out. You're delusional if you think Kobe will play consistently well against a combo of Battier/Artest every game of the playoffs. Battier and Artest aren't consider to be two of the best perimeter defenders in the league for nothing. Kobe's good but he's not Jordan. He's going to struggle against the Rockets..like how Wade struggled against us, like how Lebron struggled against us, like how Roy struggled against us.

i.got.the.nutz
05-02-2009, 03:54 AM
Kobe doesn't need to have monster games for the Lakers to beat Houston, thats the beauty of it. But if the game is close at the end it won't matter whos guarding Kobe.

lol...this is a 7 game series. Teams will have PLENTY of time to figure each other out. You're delusional if you think Kobe will play consistently well against a combo of Battier/Artest every game of the playoffs. Battier and Artest aren't consider to be two of the best perimeter defenders in the league for nothing. Kobe's good but he's not Jordan. He's going to struggle against the Rockets..like how Wade struggled against us, like how Lebron struggled against us, like how Roy struggled against us.

Nirvanaskurdt
05-02-2009, 04:07 AM
This is gonna be a great series.. cant wait whens game 1? :)

horry1ur
05-02-2009, 04:42 AM
This is gonna be a great series.. cant wait whens game 1? :)

Monday.

Chronz
05-02-2009, 05:05 AM

Hate to say it but the man has a point, Rockets wont double Kobe at all unless it gets out of hand, and he doesnt have that in him anymore.

Chronz
05-02-2009, 05:06 AM
We don't have to double Yao all the time. We'll double some, obviously, he requires it at times. But there's an easier and more effective way for us to take Yao out of the game. Run. If we pick up the pace, and make him get up and down the court, something the Blazers don't do, they're the slowest paced team in the NBA, it will help to limit Yao's effectiveness. We did it in the regular season, and we'll look to do it as much as possible in this series.

Sure Yao will still put up some numbers, but over the course of a game, and a series, playing at that pace will limit Yao. It's what we did this year and it held Yao to 15.8 PPG, 10.3 RPG, 56% FG%, 53.8% FT%. Not bad numbers, but we didn't hold him to that by doubling him every time, but by running.

That's our answer to Yao, and it's proven effective.

You know who used to guard Yao 1 on 1, Kwame. Kwame would battle him all game long and actually contribute for once. Seriously though Bynum and Pau are a step above the Pryz/Oden and LA combo defensively and offensively, Yao and Scolandry should have it harder.

Lakersfan2483
05-02-2009, 05:27 AM

Lakers in 5 games, look for Kobe to have a great series as well.

tr4shb0t
05-02-2009, 06:34 AM
The Laker bigs will destroy the Rockets. The game will be close for the first half, but by the second half Yao will be way to worn down. Rockets will probably only win 1 game for obvious reasons.

EddieB
05-02-2009, 06:42 AM
The Black Mamba got a team now

SouljahPhil...
05-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Lakers in 5 at most 6...

NotVeryOriginal
05-02-2009, 09:16 AM
im surprised i havent seen the obligatory "bynum is better than yao' lines yet, but its early. good luck.

Only brain dead homers (AKA fans on the other coast;)) would suggest that. Theres a difference between being unloyal and being realistic.

enitialdee
05-02-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm a rocket fan.. I'll be realistic, lakers taking this series, wouldn't be suprise if they take it in 4 games.. Lakers is to dam good, odds are stack on my rockets, but as long as they go down swinging it's all good...

macc
05-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Haha I was thinking the same thing. Some credit to the Rockets, I think they'll dominate the PG, I know Brooks isn't a vet but the Lakers always have issues w/ younger faster pg's since Fish is a little over the Hill. I would def have Shannon Brown playing the majority of the min. He's been solid so far.

LakersIn5
05-02-2009, 12:44 PM
lakers should use this lineup

BYNUM-GASOL-ARIZA-KOBE-ODOM

Game_Over
05-02-2009, 01:16 PM
lakers should use this lineup

BYNUM-GASOL-ARIZA-KOBE-ODOM

Why Bynum is playing horrible right now?

Reyes6
05-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Ok so flip-flopping aside, before this series begins, my prediction is Rockets in 7.

dre1990
05-02-2009, 02:38 PM
LA in 5 or 6

LAKERMANIA
05-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Why Bynum is playing horrible right now?

True, but Phil said he will start Bynum, and have Lamar come off the bench

Hawkeye15
05-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Lakers in 6. They are too tall, and have the best player in the series. Scola and Landry will not be able to dominate like they did against the skinny Blazers big men

goku
05-02-2009, 04:57 PM
the key to beating LA is making kobe a scorer and shutting everybody else off rockets defense need to be physical like last series and fustrate thee laker team

astrosmaniac
05-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Lakers in 6. They are too tall, and have the best player in the series. Scola and Landry will not be able to dominate like they did against the skinny Blazers big men

the thing is, if you watched the blazers series, scola dominated with his jumper. he was making 18 footers all game. he wasnt posting anyone up. and i would venture to say that aldridge is more physical than pau, so i dont see how that should affect scola's production

suiogan16
05-02-2009, 05:50 PM

lakers will just dominate this series in 4 no one can stop kobe:):):cool:

Verbal Christ
05-02-2009, 06:18 PM
entertaining to see so many "noobs" grace us with their rock solid predictions. and please,please PLEEEASE have bynum start on yao only to be spelled by LAMAR ODOM??? are your ****ing serious? please god let it be so.

tr4shb0t
05-02-2009, 06:32 PM
entertaining to see so many "noobs" grace us with their rock solid predictions. and please,please PLEEEASE have bynum start on yao only to be spelled by LAMAR ODOM??? are your ****ing serious? please god let it be so.

Haha start sacrificing goats in the name of whatever god you worship because Rockets are done.

I'm just a noob by the way so my opinion isn't worth much. The more games is goes to the more entertainment I get so whatever.

Verbal Christ
05-02-2009, 06:38 PM
rockets are done? oh yea because utah was that much better than us at home (one or two games) but on the other end sucked and swallowed on the road, while we no doubt will play tougher at staples than they did. i hope all this realistic over-confidence trickles over into the players, because some of you faker 'fans' are in for a rude awakening.

wileyisTOFU
05-02-2009, 06:42 PM
rockets in 5!

Gibby23
05-02-2009, 06:44 PM
rockets are done? oh yea because utah was that much better than us at home (one or two games) but on the other end sucked and swallowed on the road, while we no doubt will play tougher at staples than they did. i hope all this realistic over-confidence trickles over into the players, because some of you faker 'fans' are in for a rude awakening.

Rockets have no chance. They can't score enough, I know you have to stand by your team, but I want to see what you have to say when they get bounced in 4 or 5. The Lakers were 4-0 against the rockets this year, 1 game was without Bynum and Odom.

tr4shb0t
05-02-2009, 06:44 PM
I guess getting swept in the regular season could have been a fluke, we'll have to see. All I know is that Yao gets really fricken tired playing the Laker bigs by the second half.

Gibby23
05-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Yao didn't even play that great against the Blazers and there is no way Artest beats the Lakers.

Verbal Christ
05-02-2009, 06:51 PM
regular season records mean nothing. the style of playoff basketball is a little different for those of you still wet behind the ears. yao didnt play that well against the blazers because they have TWO defensive minded centers, both more athletic than yao, but yao still found a way to be productive, stemming from the inability to beat the fronting defense. from what i understand the lakers being all high and mighty as they think they are will NOT FRONT YAO!! woo hoo, get ready for a nasty first game, only to have phil breakdown and go with the front from there on out, at which point we've already been getting better at second and third options. still get a chuckle from all the experts predicting an easy 'sweep'.

fast_break
05-02-2009, 06:59 PM
they do mean something when you get swept 0-4. or were the rockets purposely trying to lose those games. sure the rockets will play harder in the playoffs but so will the lakers

KB24PG16
05-02-2009, 07:01 PM
the laker show in 5

Gibby23
05-02-2009, 07:01 PM
regular season records mean nothing. the style of playoff basketball is a little different for those of you still wet behind the ears. yao didnt play that well against the blazers because they have TWO defensive minded centers, both more athletic than yao, but yao still found a way to be productive, stemming from the inability to beat the fronting defense. from what i understand the lakers being all high and mighty as they think they are will NOT FRONT YAO!! woo hoo, get ready for a nasty first game, only to have phil breakdown and go with the front from there on out, at which point we've already been getting better at second and third options. still get a chuckle from all the experts predicting an easy 'sweep'.If you watched what the Lakers did to Yao in the Reg season, they didn't front him, but sent a quick double team and he got his pocket picked a lot.
The Rockets really have no chance, outside of Yao there is not enough scoring. Ron is going to start jacking 3's like he id Larry Bird.

Verbal Christ
05-02-2009, 07:03 PM
^^ apart from the first game which was an old fashioned *** whipping when we were dealing with all kinds of drama, the other 3 games were hard fought until the final moments, when kobe took over, and we couldnt hit shots. lakers are a great team, nobody is trying to discredit that, but to say the Rockets are scrubs who dont belong on the same floor as them is a big stretch, and hopefully the real laker fan will accept defeat graciously instead of looking for excuses/blame if we do happen to 'steal' a game or two or four. and if ron goes for 27, on 11-22 shooting, i'll take that. he had an awful portland series and i expect him to be much better against the lakers.

Gibby23
05-02-2009, 07:07 PM
^^ apart from the first game which was an old fashioned *** whipping when we were dealing with all kinds of drama, the other 3 games were hard fought until the final moments, when kobe took over, and we couldnt hit shots. lakers are a great team, nobody is trying to discredit that, but to say the Rockets are scrubs who dont belong on the same floor as them is a big stretch, and hopefully the real laker fan will accept defeat graciously instead of looking for excuses/blame if we do happen to 'steal' a game or two or four. and if ron goes for 27, on 11-22 shooting, i'll take that. he had an awful portland series and i expect him to be much better against the lakers.We will see when it happens, but I don't think it will happen. I already know what Rocket fans are going to say "If we had T mac!"

Verbal Christ
05-02-2009, 07:13 PM
^^ not the real rocket fan, there is a huge divide between tmac 'loyalists' and those who are fans of the team. im glad TMac is not in there hogging up all the shots, it gave us a chance to become a real team. and again ALL THE PRESSURE remains on the lakers, you guys say it yourselves, anything less than a ring is a bad season .. right? so the rockets can play loose, no one is giving us a chance, so like battier said ... 'we're gonna try to turn it into an ugly game, and try to steal some games in the final moments'.

Reyes6
05-02-2009, 09:14 PM
We will see when it happens, but I don't think it will happen. I already know what Rocket fans are going to say "If we had T mac!"

Can we say "If we had Mutombo?" Hehe, because that would make it an even more awesome series. But I think it'll be a much better series than LAL/UTA because Utah just looked like they didn't care. They had no drive what so ever, the Rockets, although content with a first round win, feel a WANT to win this series. And can you keep Laker fans with less than 10 posts out of the Rockets forum if all they want to do is bait? I mean, I don't care if you say the Rockets suck in the Lakers forum... but coming to our forum to do it is immature. Especially before the series has even begun.

And Yao has really developed A LOT more since the playoffs began, and although the quick double teams may surprise him a bit in Game 1... the games after will obviously be filled with adjustments for both sides.

AllTheWay
05-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Other than Yao....who can possibly match up with the trio of Lamar, Bynum, and Pau? Scola? Landry? Please....

BoltLakerPadre
05-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Get ready Bynum, you have a large task on your hands. But the Laker's still have this series in four games, five at most.

bahama0811
05-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Lakers in 6. The Rockets just don't have an answer.

TEXASTITAN
05-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Other than Yao....who can possibly match up with the trio of Lamar, Bynum, and Pau? Scola? Landry? Please....

Bynum is unproven and odom wouldn't even be on the team if they could figure out a way to cut him without choking on his salary he's garbage. Gasol is another soft euro and yeah id take scola over him in this series. I guess LA is going to burn if the rockets take the first 2 games of this series huh? Another riot will ensue i can't wait to see it on fox news. Kobe choked in the finals last year when he had his chance to finally win one without shaq he cried and cried untill oneal left LA and has done nothing but prove that shaq meant more to that team than he did during those championships. Get a reality check laker fans

astrosmaniac
05-02-2009, 11:03 PM

you do realize that scola is the mvp of this team right? hes the most consistant player on this team. look what scola did to lamarcus aldridge in this lats series. he owned him with the jump shot. if your going to put pau on scola then i see him doing exactly the same thing, if not better. pau is better than scola all around, but it matches up well for the rockets on the defensive end. pau is the same size as aldridge, but aldridge is quicker and more athletic. if they double yao with pau, similarly to how the blazers did with aldridge, then pau wont be able to close fast enough to close on scola for the 18 foot jumper.

if you put odom on him, it wont be much difference. odom is basically the same as aldridge on defense, but less talented on offense, so scola wont have to work as hard on the defensive end and will be more active on the offensive end.

as far as bynum, do you really want to be bragging right now? he had trouble scoring in the last series against guys like okur and boozer. whats he going to do against yao? he lives in the paint, so yao wont exactly have to go chasing him around the entire time.

im a realistic rockets fan. i want to win it all, but i say we lose in 6. it wont be a sweep, and it wont be 5 games. maybe we push it to 7 but i doubt it. the lakers are a great team and really deep, i just hate ignorant fans who act like they are god's given gift to basketball. the last 3 times the lakers and rockets met in the regular season, the game went down to the final minute. it's going to be close in almost every game of this series, and if anyone says any different, they are just ignorant

horry1ur
05-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Bynum is unproven and odom wouldn't even be on the team if they could figure out a way to cut him without choking on his salary he's garbage. Gasol is another soft euro and yeah id take scola over him in this series. I guess LA is going to burn if the rockets take the first 2 games of this series huh? Another riot will ensue i can't wait to see it on fox news. Kobe choked in the finals last year when he had his chance to finally win one without shaq he cried and cried untill oneal left LA and has done nothing but prove that shaq meant more to that team than he did during those championships. Get a reality check laker fans

Thats a BIG if.
And dude seriously this is like the third or fourth time im telling you..
You would take Scola over Gasol BECAUSE you are a Rockets fan or Laker Hater
and i would take Gasols: 18.9 PPG 9.6 RPG 3.5 APG 0.6 SPG and 1.0 BPG over Scolas stats of : 12.7 PPG 8.8 RPG 1.5 APG 0.1 BPG and most importantly Gasols playoff experience and a year of Finals experience where Luis Scola has not gone.

astrosmaniac
05-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Thats a BIG if.
And dude seriously this is like the third or fourth time im telling you..
You would take Scola over Gasol BECAUSE you are a Rockets fan or Laker Hater
and i would take Gasols: 18.9 PPG 9.6 RPG 3.5 APG 0.6 SPG and 1.0 BPG over Scolas stats of : 12.7 PPG 8.8 RPG 1.5 APG 0.1 BPG and most importantly Gasols playoff experience and a year of Finals experience where Luis Scola has not gone.

then again, pau is the #2 option where as scola is the #4 option most of the time for the rockets. pau is THE post presences for the lakers, while scola has to operate next to the 2nd best C in basetball

FNM BOY
05-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Gasol is soft....Kobe will be in for it seeing both Artest and Battier on him....this is going to be interesting...don't sleep on the Rockets!!

NBA_Starter
05-02-2009, 11:32 PM
I hate to say it but Lakers in 5.

horry1ur
05-02-2009, 11:34 PM
then again, pau is the #2 option where as scola is the #4 option most of the time for the rockets. pau is THE post presences for the lakers, while scola has to operate next to the 2nd best C in basetball

But...I would still take Gasol over Scola
and like you said in an earlier post if Scola is the MVP of the team then why is he the #4 option? if he is so consistent then why dont they go to him often?

horry1ur
05-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Gasol is soft....Kobe will be in for it seeing both Artest and Battier on him....this is going to be interesting...don't sleep on the Rockets!!

Thanks for telling us something we didnt know :rolleyes:
Joking.
But my prediction this whole time was/is Lakers in 6.

AllTheWay
05-02-2009, 11:41 PM
you do realize that scola is the mvp of this team right? hes the most consistant player on this team. look what scola did to lamarcus aldridge in this lats series. he owned him with the jump shot. if your going to put pau on scola then i see him doing exactly the same thing, if not better. pau is better than scola all around, but it matches up well for the rockets on the defensive end. pau is the same size as aldridge, but aldridge is quicker and more athletic. if they double yao with pau, similarly to how the blazers did with aldridge, then pau wont be able to close fast enough to close on scola for the 18 foot jumper.

if you put odom on him, it wont be much difference. odom is basically the same as aldridge on defense, but less talented on offense, so scola wont have to work as hard on the defensive end and will be more active on the offensive end.

as far as bynum, do you really want to be bragging right now? he had trouble scoring in the last series against guys like okur and boozer. whats he going to do against yao? he lives in the paint, so yao wont exactly have to go chasing him around the entire time.

im a realistic rockets fan. i want to win it all, but i say we lose in 6. it wont be a sweep, and it wont be 5 games. maybe we push it to 7 but i doubt it. the lakers are a great team and really deep, i just hate ignorant fans who act like they are god's given gift to basketball. the last 3 times the lakers and rockets met in the regular season, the game went down to the final minute. it's going to be close in almost every game of this series, and if anyone says any different, they are just ignorant

11/9, 2008- Pau Gasol: 20 Points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 blocked shots, 7/10 from the field.

1/13, 2009- Pau Gasol: 11 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and 2 blocked shots, 3/9 from the field.

3/11, 2009- Pau Gasol: 20 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 steals, 1 blocked shot, 9/18 from the field.

4/3, 2009- Pau Gasol: 23 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 steals, 8/19 from the field.

Averages of 18.5 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.5 apg, 2.2 spg, 1.5 bpg, 48% shooting.

Scola can do what against Pau again? :p

And Lamar is much much more athletic than LaMarcus Aldridge. Lamar is one of three players who can play all 5 positions on the floor, so do not underestimate his defense.

astrosmaniac
05-02-2009, 11:49 PM
But...I would still take Gasol over Scola
and like you said in an earlier post if Scola is the MVP of the team then why is he the #4 option? if he is so consistent then why dont they go to him often?

i would agree, i would take pau over scola, im just saying those stats can be misleading. Pau takes 13 shots a game, while scola only takes 9.5. if he got more touches, scola's stats could be similar to pau's. scola is the mvp because he is consistant and he never missed a game. people sleep on him and he makes them pay for it. they don't go to him as much because guys like artest can go into spells where they just keep shooting and shooting.

HoosierDaddy
05-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Ron Artest and Battier will shut Kobe down. Yoa will whoop up on the Lakers. Rockets in 6. I'll bet my sig!

astrosmaniac
05-03-2009, 12:05 AM
11/9, 2008- Pau Gasol: 20 Points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 blocked shots, 7/10 from the field.

1/13, 2009- Pau Gasol: 11 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and 2 blocked shots, 3/9 from the field.

3/11, 2009- Pau Gasol: 20 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 steals, 1 blocked shot, 9/18 from the field.

4/3, 2009- Pau Gasol: 23 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 steals, 8/19 from the field.

Averages of 18.5 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.5 apg, 2.2 spg, 1.5 bpg, 48% shooting.

Scola can do what against Pau again? :p

And Lamar is much much more athletic than LaMarcus Aldridge. Lamar is one of three players who can play all 5 positions on the floor, so do not underestimate his defense.
those stats have to do what exactly with scola's production? i never said scola would shut down pau. you really need to learn how to read.

scola's stats:
7/9: 12 and 9 on 3-9 shooting, but 6-6 from the line. the rockets had artest and battier injured for this game. he had a bad shooting game but still did well.

1/13: 6 and 1 on 3-4 shooting, but only played around 20 min.

3/11: 15 and 9 on 7-9 shooting. The lakers sure shut him down didnt they :rolleyes:

4/3: 16 and 9 on 7-10 shooting. same as above

those last 2 games are better indicators because the team was finally jelling and there was no more t-mac drama. thats about what he averaged in the first round against portland, which backs up my statement that the lakers will do about as good as portland did to stop him.

anyway odom is not nearly as good as aldridge offensively, and they aren't much different defensively

AllTheWay
05-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Ron Artest and Battier will shut Kobe down. Yoa will whoop up on the Lakers. Rockets in 6. I'll bet my sig!

You have no sig.

Mile High Champ
05-03-2009, 12:13 AM
This series goes 6 games for sure, anyone who says less is kidding themselves. This will be a close series...

AllTheWay
05-03-2009, 12:14 AM
those stats have to do what exactly with scola's production? i never said scola would shut down pau. you really need to learn how to read.

scola's stats:
7/9: 12 and 9 on 3-9 shooting, but 6-6 from the line. the rockets had artest and battier injured for this game. he had a bad shooting game but still did well.

1/13: 6 and 1 on 3-4 shooting, but only played around 20 min.

3/11: 15 and 9 on 7-9 shooting. The lakers sure shut him down didnt they :rolleyes:

4/3: 16 and 9 on 7-10 shooting. same as above

those last 2 games are better indicators because the team was finally jelling and there was no more t-mac drama. thats about what he averaged in the first round against portland, which backs up my statement that the lakers will do about as good as portland did to stop him.

anyway odom is not nearly as good as aldridge offensively, and they aren't much different defensively

Who needs to learn how to read again? Wasn't my original post saying who would match up with them? Meaning who can defend them...And it certainly is not Scola, nor Landry.

And Scola had 2 good games out of the four, and an alright/average one. The Lakers will be very happy if Yao continues to only get 15 and 10 against them while Scola leads the team in scoring. That will result in a Lakers sweep.

astrosmaniac
This series goes 6 games for sure, anyone who says less is kidding themselves. This will be a close series...
exactly

AllTheWay

Same was said about the WCF last year.....

astrosmaniac
05-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Who needs to learn how to read again? Wasn't my original post saying who would match up with them? Meaning who can defend them...And it certainly is not Scola, nor Landry.

And Scola had 2 good games out of the four, and an alright/average one. The Lakers will be very happy if Yao continues to only get 15 and 10 against them while Scola leads the team in scoring. That will result in a Lakers sweep.

and MY post said that pau wasnt going to contain scola. your post implied that scola and landry and yao are no match compared to the three bigs on the lakers, which isnt true. look at the best big on each, Yao>Pau (if you deny this you are a giant homer), scola>bynum (bynum has played horrible and hasnt proved much with all his injuries and lack of playing time. scola has more postseason experience than him), and the odom>landry. you severely overrate the front court of the lakers

astrosmaniac
05-03-2009, 12:18 AM

everyone was also picking the lakers to beat boston in like 5 games last year, look how accurate that turned out

AllTheWay
05-03-2009, 12:24 AM
and MY post said that pau wasnt going to contain scola. your post implied that scola and landry and yao are no match compared to the three bigs on the lakers, which isnt true. look at the best big on each, Yao>Pau (if you deny this you are a giant homer), scola>bynum (bynum has played horrible and hasnt proved much with all his injuries and lack of playing time. scola has more postseason experience than him), and the odom<landry. you severely overrate the front court of the lakers

Wait a minute, Carl ****ing Landry is better than Odom. Wow, just flat out wow. Haha....

Wow.

Yao is without a doubt better than Pau. Bynum may not be the better overall player than Scola, but on the defensive end, and close to he basket, he is the better player. And Lamar is a matchup problem with every team, not just the rockets. The undersized Landry won't be able to guard him just like Millsap and Boozer couldn't. It's the height that that gives the Lakers the frontcourt advantage.

AllTheWay
05-03-2009, 12:25 AM
everyone was also picking the lakers to beat boston in like 5 games last year, look how accurate that turned out

BS, I didn't see any significant number of people picking Lakers in 5. Whoever was the victor, the general assumption was 6 or 7 games. That's just pulling **** outta your ***.

Mile High Champ
05-03-2009, 12:27 AM

Some lakers fans can be so ignorant.. just like celtics fans.. You guys can be beat. I think the lakers will end up wining this series but there is no way this series is decided in 4 or 5 games. The Rockets match up pretty well to the lakers. The Lakers wont have an answer to ming and thats why the series will go 6 games, maybe 7.

superkegger
05-03-2009, 12:28 AM

The Blazers doubled and played Yao more with two Bigs, the Lakers usually double with a wing. So you'll see Kobe and Ariza coming in to try and pick Yao's pocket, not Pau. I really think our plan will be to put the ball in Artest's hands, and make him beat us. Pau is a soft defender, but if he's guarding Scola shooting jump shots, he'll be fine. If Scola has some good games, so be it. But he's probably not going to get it with any kind of ease.

I actually think Lamar is a much better defender than Aldridge, and I think if Lamar keeps up his stellar play, he'll be on par with what LaMarcus did. And LaMarcus loves, just absolutely loves his 19 foot jumper. That's not what Lamar does, he loves to take it to the hole. So It will actually be a tough series for scola having to guard Pau and Lamar, same for Landry.

He had trouble with a perimeter big man in okur and a much smaller and quicker guy in milsap. Bynum is much more comfortable in the paint and around the basket defensively. Not to say he's going to shut down Yao or anything, but in a sense, it is a better matchup for him, because he doesn't have to wander out to the 3, and doesn't have to worry about Yao breaking him down off the dribble. It's still a tough guard for sure, but it's a type of defense he plays much better than what he had to do against Utah.

It will be a good series, but the Lakers are too deep, and too talented. We didn't have Bynum for the last two regular season games vs. the Rockets, and we still won. While he's not going to make it a 4 game sweep, he certainly improves our defense against a team reliant on Yao's production in one way or another, and just having a guy with his size and athleticism to go against Yao, makes it a much better matchup across the board for the Lakers, instead of having to have Pau guard him.

Lastly, I'll point out once again, that if we get out and run, and get into transition, it limits what effect Yao can have. If we get around 85+ possesions per game, it will really help to limit Yao and make him tired. Makin his jump shots harder to hit, his FT's harder to hit, and limiting his effect on defense and possibly getting him into foul trouble.

astrosmaniac
05-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Wait a minute, Carl ****ing Landry is better than Odom. Wow, just flat out wow. Haha....

Wow.

Yao is without a doubt better than Pau. Bynum may not be the better overall player than Scola, but on the defensive end, and close to he basket, he is the better player. And Lamar is a matchup problem with every team, not just the rockets. The undersized Landry won't be able to guard him just like Millsap and Boozer couldn't. It's the height that that gives the Lakers the frontcourt advantage.

woops, i miss typed that. i had been putting rockets players first so when i reversed them i messed up. i admit odom>landry.

and your basically saying that bynum is greg oden but he doesnt get in foul trouble as much. thats not saying a whole lot. besides landry probably wont be matching up odom. if artest and battier are on the floor, battier will take kobe and artest will take odom.

Mile High Champ
05-03-2009, 12:32 AM

Wow.

The height of the lakers front court that gives them the advantage...hmmmmmm

AllTheWay
05-03-2009, 12:33 AM
woops, i miss typed that. i had been putting rockets players first so when i reversed them i messed up. i admit odom>landry.

and your basically saying that bynum is greg oden but he doesnt get in foul trouble as much. thats not saying a whole lot. besides landry probably wont be matching up odom. if artest and battier are on the floor, battier will take kobe and artest will take odom.

Okay cool.

Bynum is much more polished on the offensive end that Oden is, and will be able to take it to Yao. With Artest on Odom, the height advantage will just be exposed again and again.

astrosmaniac
05-03-2009, 12:34 AM
He had trouble with a perimeter big man in okur and a much smaller and quicker guy in milsap. Bynum is much more comfortable in the paint and around the basket defensively. Not to say he's going to shut down Yao or anything, but in a sense, it is a better matchup for him, because he doesn't have to wander out to the 3, and doesn't have to worry about Yao breaking him down off the dribble. It's still a tough guard for sure, but it's a type of defense he plays much better than what he had to do against Utah.

thats actually not where i was going with the argument. i meant if he had trouble taking to the rim against them, then he will really have a hard time against yao

Chronz
05-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Last year Manu's status was unclear, we didnt know the extent of his injury. This year the Rockets have all the weapons to make it rough on the Lakers best players.

and MY post said that pau wasnt going to contain scola. your post implied that scola and landry and yao are no match compared to the three bigs on the lakers, which isnt true. look at the best big on each, Yao>Pau (if you deny this you are a giant homer), scola>bynum (bynum has played horrible and hasnt proved much with all his injuries and lack of playing time. scola has more postseason experience than him), and the odom<landry. you severely overrate the front court of the lakers

How, WHY? Please dont tell me its because of the _>_ , _<_ argument you applied? Id rather have Pau and Bynum/Odom, than Yao and Scolandry.

Facts are the Lakers have the more impressive positional differentials from their bigs. And this coming with Bynum missing most of the year, and Yao playing more games than he has in almost 2 years prior. Yao and Pau is closer than people think, after that Bynum is way better than Scola, Odom is good enough to command 10M annually, Landry isnt on that level.

astrosmaniac
05-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Okay cool.

Bynum is much more polished on the offensive end that Oden is, and will be able to take it to Yao. With Artest on Odom, the height advantage will just be exposed again and again.

thats actually not where i was going with the argument. i meant if he had trouble taking to the rim against them, then he will really have a hard time against yao

^^^^thats my answer to the first part.

secondly, height isn't everything. artest is a strong mother****er. he will stop lamar from getting to the rim

superkegger
05-03-2009, 12:39 AM

Whatever offense he provides is a bonus. We're not looking for Bynum to be any kind of major scoring option. Defense and rebounding, that's all Phil asks from Bynum, and if can do that, we're happy.

Reyes6
05-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Lamar is one of three players who can play all 5 positions on the floor, so do not underestimate his defense.

Everyone HOLD ON A SECOND!!!!!!!! Are you claiming that Odom can play PG and C? My head... it hurts. And Artest can take on Odom, Battier can take Kobe... obviously Artest and Battier can switch to give different looks, and Kobe/Odom hopefully won't feel 100% comfortable all game.

IMO
Yao > Bynum
Scola < Gasol
Artest > Ariza
Battier < Kobe
Brooks=Fisher

Lakers Bench > Rockets Bench

But what we fail to acknowledge that basketball is a team game and the game comes down to the Lakers Offense vs the Rockets Defense. If the Rockets play their extremely slow offense and slow the game down they have a shot at winning. If the Lakers charge the rim and play a fast paced offense, they will probably win. Either way, it'll be a great series. Good luck to you guys and let's hope it's closer than what it's being predicted.

Reyes6
05-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Whatever offense he provides is a bonus. We're not looking for Bynum to be any kind of major scoring option. Defense and rebounding, that's all Phil asks from Bynum, and if can do that, we're happy.

No offense bud, but we heard the same thing about a guy in Portland who was also a center, and we saw what happened there. A few highlight dunks and blocks, but an overall weak fundamental game.

astrosmaniac
05-03-2009, 12:43 AM
How, WHY? Please dont tell me its because of the _>_ , _<_ argument you applied? Id rather have Pau and Bynum/Odom, than Yao and Scolandry.

Facts are the Lakers have the more impressive positional differentials from their bigs. And this coming with Bynum missing most of the year, and Yao playing more games than he has in almost 2 years prior. Yao and Pau is closer than people think, after that Bynum is way better than Scola, Odom is good enough to command 10M annually, Landry isnt on that level.

because hes making them out be much better than they are. thats what it means to be overrated. i would put them at close to to barely over the rockets front court.

bynum is not way better than scola. bynum has proved NOTHING. scola is much more consistent than bynum. does bynum have more potential? of course, but right now, hes playing like complete crap honestly

Er1c
05-03-2009, 12:44 AM
lakers in 4

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Lakers most likely in 5. Maybe 6. I dont see them giving up home court advantage in the first two games. And getting at least one in Houston. Basically it will be the same outcome vs the Jazz. Lakers get 2, Rockets get the must win game 3. Lakers get game 4 when the Rockets aren't playing for their lives and then the Lakers close them out at home.

FOBolous
05-03-2009, 12:49 AM

Yao struggle against new age big men that's fast and can shoot from the outside but he plays the best against traditional big men like Dwight Howard and Shaq...that's why Yao obliterates them every time they play against each other. Unfortunately for you, Bynum is a traditional big man. Yao's going to obliterate him just like how he obliterates every other traditional big men in the league if yall decide to let Bynum guards Yao 1on1.

The Blazers doubled and played Yao more with two Bigs, the Lakers usually double with a wing. So you'll see Kobe and Ariza coming in to try and pick Yao's pocket, not Pau. I really think our plan will be to put the ball in Artest's hands, and make him beat us. Pau is a soft defender, but if he's guarding Scola shooting jump shots, he'll be fine. If Scola has some good games, so be it. But he's probably not going to get it with any kind of ease.

see the matchup problems we have against you? On the defensive end, our players are good enough to guard all the players 1on1...including Kobe. We don't have to double any of your players and this will make it hard on your team in a 7 game series because your role players aren't use to be guarded so closely due to the attention Kobe and Gasol recieves.

But our team is use to Yao being double and they thrive on the attention Yao receives. If yall choose do double Yao with your bigs...Landry and Scola's going to be shooting mid range shots on you all day. If yall choose to double yao with your wings like you said you would...Wafer, Battier, and Artest will beat you.

You probably laugh at the notion of our role players beating you but our role players are the reason why we beat Portland. Portland decide to shut down Yao and take a gamble on our role players and look what happened?

Yao's low scoring average doesn't worry me as long as he's drawing the attention of defense because our role players are perfectly capable of carrying the team.

superkegger
05-03-2009, 12:50 AM
No offense bud, but we heard the same thing about a guy in Portland who was also a center, and we saw what happened there. A few highlight dunks and blocks, but an overall weak fundamental game.

That's fine, Bynum isn't Oden, or a rookie. Oden isn't comfortable in the NBA yet, or in whatever his role for the Blazers is. Bynum knows what his role is and is comfortable with it and also comfortable being an NBA player. Really the comparison of what Oden contributed to what Bynum will contribute is irrelevant.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-03-2009, 12:55 AM
Yao is a turnover machine. He does not cope well with hard doubles. The Lakers double as soon as he puts the ball on the floor. Not while he is holding it and can make a pass without rushing. He will average around 4 to 5 turnovers per game this series. Artest will probably shoot around 40% for the series, and shoot way too many threes.

Kobe will have at least one game where he stinks up the joint. He will probably shoot 7 for 26. But will be very efficient the rest of the series. But Rocket fans will still harp and scream that Artest and Battier shut him down. (for one game)

Battier is a solid player who wont do anything to hurt his teams chances. But I dont see him doing anything that will sway the series in the Rockets favor.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-03-2009, 01:00 AM
Yao struggle against new age big men that's fast and can shoot from the outside but he plays the best against traditional big men like Dwight Howard and Shaq...that's why Yao obliterates them every time they play against each other. Unfortunately for you, Bynum is a traditional big man. Yao's going to obliterate him just like how he obliterates every other traditional big men in the league if yall decide to let Bynum guards Yao 1on1.

see the matchup problems we have against you? On the defensive end, our players are good enough to guard all the players 1on1...including Kobe. We don't have to double any of your players and this will make it hard on your team in a 7 game series because your role players aren't use to be guarded so closely due to the attention Kobe and Gasol recieves.

But our team is use to Yao being double and they thrive on the attention Yao receives. If yall choose do double Yao with your bigs...Landry and Scola's going to be shooting mid range shots on you all day. If yall choose to double yao with your wings like you said you would...Wafer, Battier, and Artest will beat you.

You probably laugh at the notion of our role players beating you but our role players are the reason why we beat Portland. Portland decide to shut down Yao and take a gamble on our role players and look what happened?

Yao's low scoring average doesn't worry me as long as he's drawing the attention of defense because our role players are perfectly capable of carrying the team.

Please oh God please let the Rockets guard Kobe 1 on 1. This is not the regular season. Kobe does not settle for jumpers all game long to preserve his body and energy. He attacks the rack in the playoffs. If you think Battier or slow footed Artest can stay with him, you guys are in for for some long nights.

And I would really love to see Scola guard Pau one on one. I would really love to see that.:up:

brandt
05-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Rockets have no chance. They can't score enough, I know you have to stand by your team, but I want to see what you have to say when they get bounced in 4 or 5. The Lakers were 4-0 against the rockets this year, 1 game was without Bynum and Odom.

Regular season is differn't. And the Rockets only had Yao, Artest, and Mcgrady on the floor together, like ten times the whole season due to injuries. If they ever had a chance to get their chemistry going, the Lakers definitely wouldn't have been 4 and 0 against the Rockets. Needless to say they swept them, so of course they are huge favorites going into this series. Portland isn't a bad team, and I think Houston beat them by like 20 points in two games. One at home, and a blowout away from home. The fact that you think they can't score enough is kind of funny, even though I would have to say that the Lakers DO have a better offense. They won't score as much as you think against Houston's defense though. Being a Rocket's fan, I admit that the laker's will probably proceed to the next round. Not in 4 or 5 though. More like 6 or 7. You and every other Laker's fan, will now actually get to see the like's of luis Scola, Arron Brooks, Von Wafer, Landry and Lowery. All who are barely even recognized names, to anyone period. But WILL be, when the series comes around.

leftymo
05-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Scola, Brooks, Wafer (lakers outcast) and Lowry do not remotely compare to their counterparts...

Gasol, Fisher, Odom, and insert whomever here...

Yao doesn't dominate anyone. He has led his team past the first round just once and averaged what 15 points/game doing it? That's not domination...

Lakers are going to steamroll the Rockets. The easiest matchup for LA in the playoffs by far.

leftymo
05-03-2009, 01:58 AM
Rockets fans are hoping for Yao on Bynum. The actual difference in this series is Pau on Scola. The size difference and play difference is why LA wins easily. Houston doesn't go into Yao enough nor does he have the stamina to carry his team for long enough.

LA will be extremely rusty to start the game on Monday, but by the 2nd half, you'll see the gap between these teams. It's glowingly apparent.

Unless Clyde Drexler, Olajuwon, Horry, Cassell, and Maxwell come out for the Rockets... they're going to be exactly what they've always been. A good defensive team that lacks the offensive firepower to be a legit contender.

leftymo
05-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Regular season is differn't. And the Rockets only had Yao, Artest, and Mcgrady on the floor together, like ten times the whole season due to injuries. If they ever had a chance to get their chemistry going, the Lakers definitely wouldn't have been 4 and 0 against the Rockets. Needless to say they swept them, so of course they are huge favorites going into this series. Portland isn't a bad team, and I think Houston beat them by like 20 points in two games. One at home, and a blowout away from home. The fact that you think they can't score enough is kind of funny, even though I would have to say that the Lakers DO have a better offense. They won't score as much as you think against Houston's defense though. Being a Rocket's fan, I admit that the laker's will probably proceed to the next round. Not in 4 or 5 though. More like 6 or 7. You and every other Laker's fan, will now actually get to see the like's of luis Scola, Arron Brooks, Von Wafer, Landry and Lowery. All who are barely even recognized names, to anyone period. But WILL be, when the series comes around.

Ifs don't count. If my aunt had a package she'd be my uncle. The Lakers finished far above Houston in the standings. That includes an injury to their starting center. LA is the better team, now its just a matter of proving it on the court.

FOBolous
05-03-2009, 02:07 AM
Please oh God please let the Rockets guard Kobe 1 on 1. This is not the regular season. Kobe does not settle for jumpers all game long to preserve his body and energy. He attacks the rack in the playoffs. If you think Battier or slow footed Artest can stay with him, you guys are in for for some long nights.

And I would really love to see Scola guard Pau one on one. I would really love to see that.:up:

Kobe's good but he's not god...seriously...you Lakers fan overrate him so much it's annoying. He's not Michael Jordan...never was and never will be. He can be stopped and the players to do it would be Artest or Battier. Funny? not really. If Artest and Battier can stop Lebron, Wade, and Roy...they can stop Kobe.

And don't underestimate Scola's defensive ability. He's a scrappy player who's in your face. He disrupts the offensive player with his peskiness. Doesn't matter how tall Gasol is...Scola WILL BE all over him with one hand in his face and the other hand reaching for the ball.

FOBolous
05-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Yao is a turnover machine. He does not cope well with hard doubles. The Lakers double as soon as he puts the ball on the floor. Not while he is holding it and can make a pass without rushing. He will average around 4 to 5 turnovers per game this series. Artest will probably shoot around 40% for the series, and shoot way too many threes.

Kobe will have at least one game where he stinks up the joint. He will probably shoot 7 for 26. But will be very efficient the rest of the series. But Rocket fans will still harp and scream that Artest and Battier shut him down. (for one game)

Battier is a solid player who wont do anything to hurt his teams chances. But I dont see him doing anything that will sway the series in the Rockets favor.

our team is use to Yao being double so double him all you want. they thrive on the attention Yao receives. If yall choose do double Yao with your bigs...Landry and Scola's going to be shooting mid range shots on you all day. If yall choose to double yao with your wings like you said you would...Wafer, Battier, and Artest will beat you.

FOBolous
05-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Scola, Brooks, Wafer (lakers outcast) and Lowry do not remotely compare to their counterparts...

Gasol, Fisher, Odom, and insert whomever here...

we'll see how good your role players are when they have a defender on them throughout the game...see, unlike most other teams in the NBA, Houston doesn't have to double either Kobe and Pau so your role players won't be getting the open look they're use to getting...they will constantly be pressure by a defender. So yea...we'll see how good they are when they don't have the openings they usually have :)

Yao doesn't dominate anyone. He has led his team past the first round just once and averaged what 15 points/game doing it? That's not domination...

There's more to basketball than just numbers. Yao is a Billups kind of player...both him and Billups don't put up numbers that jumps out at you but they impact the game in other ways. They dominate in a way where it doesn't show up on the stats. Their intangibles is what sets them apart from other players.

Lakers are going to steamroll the Rockets. The easiest matchup for LA in the playoffs by far.

I love how cocky Lakers fans are...makes it feel that much better when we beat yall.

FOBolous
05-03-2009, 02:19 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2009/05/in_the_end_blazers_showed_thei.html

Roy, on the bench late, turned to a teammate and said, "I'm so tired."

^ that's what Kobe is going to be saying after going against Battier and Artest all series long...Battier and Artest are going to take their turn against Kobe and mix up their defense to force Kobe to play hard every minute, every game. Kobe's not going to be able to take a break...he won't be able to get a breather. He's going to be so worn out it's not even funny.

KeithLBC
05-03-2009, 02:51 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2009/05/in_the_end_blazers_showed_thei.html

^ that's what Kobe is going to be saying after going against Battier and Artest all series long...Battier and Artest are going to take their turn against Kobe and mix up their defense to force Kobe to play hard every minute, every game. Kobe's not going to be able to take a break...he won't be able to get a breather. He's going to be so worn out it's not even funny.

If you say so :ohno: :ohno:

I'm sure Kobe's years of playoff experience vs. Roy's experience will prevent him from over exerting himself. Roy had no playoff experience and had no idea what he was in for. Kobe's already burned Artest/Battier this year, so it's not like he hasn't seen this kind of defense before.

stawka
05-03-2009, 03:00 AM

I can't stand Kobe as much as the guy reading this, but please don't be so ignorant. Artest is Houston's second best scorer after Yao. Artest is going to tire himself out while guarding Kobe... Meanwhile if Kobe doesn't get it going, he will be looking to dish it to Gasol/Bynum. Yao will have his hands full. Do you think the Lakers care if Scola scores 20PPG?

Artest will be a lot more fatigued then Kobe, and Battier does nothing but defend and shoot 3's. As much as I'd love to see the Rockets beat the Lakers out, I don't think it will happen. If it happens, I will be the first to buy a Yao jersey and get a tattoo of Artest's head across my chest.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-03-2009, 03:12 AM
I can't stand Kobe as much as the guy reading this, but please don't be so ignorant. Artest is Houston's second best scorer after Yao. Artest is going to tire himself out while guarding Kobe... Meanwhile if Kobe doesn't get it going, he will be looking to dish it to Gasol/Bynum. Yao will have his hands full. Do you think the Lakers care if Scola scores 20PPG?

Artest will be a lot more fatigued then Kobe, and Battier does nothing but defend and shoot 3's. As much as I'd love to see the Rockets beat the Lakers out, I don't think it will happen. If it happens, I will be the first to buy a Yao jersey and get a tattoo of Artest's head across my chest.

I agree. FOBolous seems to think that Kobe or Pau do not need to be doubled but Yao Ming must be triple teamed or the Lakers will not have a shot at winning. That is laughable.

Kobe is not going to be tired at all. He will not have to exert any energy on defense. The Rockets dont have anyone on their team that can create their own shot. I guess you can say Artest can if he wants to chuck up more threes than Steve Kerr but knock down as many as Shaq would.

Chris Rock is the only player that can break the defense down by dribble penetration but he is so short, he will have a real hard time finishing around the rim with the Lakers bigs. Kobe is going to get to take a vacation on the defensive end. And I dont know if you guys have ever watched Kobe play, but he does not exert a lot of energy trying to score. Its so easy for him. He does not HAVE to get to the rim to be effective like Wade or Lebron. He can post up down low or at the pinch post spot and just pull up for a jumper. I dont see him having any energy issues against the Rockets. Especially if he is going to be guarding Battier who only stands in the corner hoping to get a shot.

stawka
05-03-2009, 03:21 AM
People (including myself) say Gasol is soft, but he is just as soft as Yao, if not a bit tougher. Forget Kobe.He is gonna score at will. I wish Artest/Battier the best because I'd love to see the Lakers out, but for anyone to think Artest/Battier will shut Kobe down - wake up.

It's a lot more tiring for a defender then it is for a guy who doesn't bring the ball up, but either shoots or passes. Kobe wont be defending Artest, Kobe doesn't rely on dunks and layup's... And his jumper is almost unguardable - If he misses, it's generally his fault... Not the defense.

All that said, go Rockets :D

horry1ur
05-03-2009, 03:37 AM

You complain about people talking about Kobe and Kobe being overrated well i think you are really overrating Ron Ron and Battier you make it seem as if they play godly defence

And have you heard about a guy named Trevor Ariza? im pretty sure you have because Ron Ron or Battier will be guarding him too and they will be so tired guarding him and Kobe its going to hilarious.

Nirvanaskurdt
05-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Can we get this series started already or what??!?! :)

This series should go at least 6 :D

tr4shb0t
05-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Can we get this series started already or what??!?! :)

This series should go at least 6 :D

I know right.

This thread is hilarious so far with all the smack talk. It looks like a lot of fans on both sides are pretty confident in their team. This should be a good one.

FOBolous
05-03-2009, 07:36 AM

but you see...Artest and Battier will switch off on Kobe. Neither one of them will be guarding him the whole game...this will ensure Kobe will face a fresh defender at all times. Artest gets him for a lil than he switches off to Ariza to get a breather while Battier takes he turn. Kobe won't be able to get a breather.

FOBolous
05-03-2009, 07:40 AM
I agree. FOBolous seems to think that Kobe or Pau do not need to be doubled but Yao Ming must be triple teamed or the Lakers will not have a shot at winning. That is laughable.

They don't. Artest and Battier are more than capable of holding Kobe by themselves. They guarded Lebron and Wade by themselves and held them to some of the worse game Lebron and Wade had during the season...i don't see why they can't do that to Kobe in a 7 game series. Oh wait..that's right...Kobe's God, he's the second coming of Jesus :rolleyes: Kobe's good, i admit, but he's not THAT good. He's not Michael Jordan..if he is, i would be like "oh man, we're screwed" but..he's not. No matter how hard Kobe tries, he will NEVER be michael jordan.

Kobe is not going to be tired at all. He will not have to exert any energy on defense. The Rockets dont have anyone on their team that can create their own shot. I guess you can say Artest can if he wants to chuck up more threes than Steve Kerr but knock down as many as Shaq would.

He will be when he won't be able to get a breather the whole game against our defense. Artest and Battier will switch off on him...this will ensure Kobe has a fresh defender at all time.

Mile High Champ
05-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Lakers in 6....

AllTheWay
05-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Everyone HOLD ON A SECOND!!!!!!!! Are you claiming that Odom can play PG and C? My head... it hurts. And Artest can take on Odom, Battier can take Kobe... obviously Artest and Battier can switch to give different looks, and Kobe/Odom hopefully won't feel 100% comfortable all game.

IMO
Yao > Bynum
Scola < Gasol
Artest > Ariza
Battier < Kobe
Brooks=Fisher

Lakers Bench > Rockets Bench

But what we fail to acknowledge that basketball is a team game and the game comes down to the Lakers Offense vs the Rockets Defense. If the Rockets play their extremely slow offense and slow the game down they have a shot at winning. If the Lakers charge the rim and play a fast paced offense, they will probably win. Either way, it'll be a great series. Good luck to you guys and let's hope it's closer than what it's being predicted.

For a limited amount of minutes, yes. He has played all 5 positions at some point this season.

AllTheWay
05-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Have you seen Kobe's averages against the Rockets this season? Have you?

Dude averaged 28.3 points, 5 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals and block. How did he shoot from the field?

53%

Battier and Artest are going to shut him down? Please, they can't even slow him down, or contain him.

Lakersfan2483
05-03-2009, 02:06 PM
They don't. Artest and Battier are more than capable of holding Kobe by themselves. They guarded Lebron and Wade by themselves and held them to some of the worse game Lebron and Wade had during the season...i don't see why they can't do that to Kobe in a 7 game series. Oh wait..that's right...Kobe's God, he's the second coming of Jesus :rolleyes: Kobe's good, i admit, but he's not THAT good. He's not Michael Jordan..if he is, i would be like "oh man, we're screwed" but..he's not. No matter how hard Kobe tries, he will NEVER be michael jordan.

He will be when he won't be able to get a breather the whole game against our defense. Artest and Battier will switch off on him...this will ensure Kobe has a fresh defender at all time.

Who are you trying to convince the Rockets will win this series, laker fans or yourself?:eyebrow: The lakers have the best player in the series, that being Kobe, and have far too much depth and talent for the Rockets to beat them. I don't think Houston can score enough points to beat LA and they don't have a big time perimeter player to carry them during crunch time. Even if Yao were to average 30 points a game this series, which he won't, they still would not have enough scoring to beat LA. I also don't think they can slow down Kobe enough to win this series. Look for Kobe to have a great series and LA's bench to be a factor especially in home games.

Reyes6
05-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Well no offense Fob, but I doubt Kobe will be tired, dude doesn't even sweat after playing 40 minutes some nights. But I'm not afraid at containing Kobe, he can get his points just like Roy got his points... Rockets need to worry about containing the other players. Make Ariza show us his jump shot, make Gasol need to be hard nosed in the paint, make these players uncomfortable. Let's just hope the Rockets are watching the Bobcats games and are learning from that. And let's not put a feather in our cap and call it a done series because of the regular season games, Rockets were a very different team then... Lakers are still pretty similar.

This series will either be a sweep or a 7-game beauty. We'll just have to wait and see.... But phrases guaranteed to hear in this series

"Staples center is biased towards the Lakers."
"Pau Flopped!"
"That should've been a foul on Yao."
"Wish we had McGrady."
"Artest FOULED HIM! COME ON REFS!"

And finally my favorite....

"Battier can't put his hand in Kobe's face like that, that should be a foul." LOL, I remember after the win streak that's what a lot of Laker fans were saying.

tr4shb0t
05-03-2009, 02:32 PM
So apparently no team has ever won a series after getting swept during the regular season (with 3+ games). I know some people were saying the regular season meant nothing, so this definitely goes against that.

FOBolous
05-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Have you seen Kobe's averages against the Rockets this season? Have you?

Dude averaged 28.3 points, 5 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals and block. How did he shoot from the field?

53%

Battier and Artest are going to shut him down? Please, they can't even slow him down, or contain him.

and Kobe averaged 40% last year during his MVP season against just Battier...your point?

Who are you trying to convince the Rockets will win this series, laker fans or yourself? The lakers have the best player in the series, that being Kobe, and have far too much depth and talent for the Rockets to beat them. I don't think Houston can score enough points to beat LA and they don't have a big time perimeter player to carry them during crunch time. Even if Yao were to average 30 points a game this series, which he won't, they still would not have enough scoring to beat LA. I also don't think they can slow down Kobe enough to win this series. Look for Kobe to have a great series and LA's bench to be a factor especially in home games.

I'm not denying the fact that Kobe is currently the best player in the NBA along with Lebron James. I'm just making it clear that Kobe isn't God nor is he Michael Jordan. He CAN be stopped. And the two players that could do it are the same two players who force Lebron James, the other best player in the NBA, into playing some of the worse game he had this season. That's not far-fetched.

i also want to make it known to you Lakers fan that the Rockets did not ever double Lebron at any point this season when we played against them. Battier and Artest covered him by themselves and they switched off of him but Lebron had single coverage at all times.

Reyes6
05-03-2009, 02:58 PM
So apparently no team has ever won a series after getting swept during the regular season (with 3+ games). I know some people were saying the regular season meant nothing, so this definitely goes against that.

But... we had McGrady... and he went 1-11. Excuse me, but that is the definition of poop. In game 1 we had McGrady... In game 2 we had no McGrady and no Artest. In Game 3 Josh Powell played like Ghandi against food... that won't happen again (hopefully). In Game 4, well I don't have an excuse besides it being the Staples Center and Oh yeah, I have one... Landry got ******** shot by Adam Morrison and his Mustache.

The Playoffs are a very different time, and records are meant to be broken. Can you give me the series in which a team that was swept in the regular season (3+ games) have lost? Thanks if you can.

mightybosstone
05-03-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm not buying this idea that Houston "can't score enough points" to win a series against the Lakers. Against Portland, Houston had 4 players that averaged 15 points or more in the series, all of whom had huge games in the series. Yao, Artest, Scola, Brooks, Wafer, and even Battier are all capable of putting up 20 on any given night. And against an average Lakers' defense, I'd be surprised if all of these guys don't have some big games in this series.

Lakersfan2483
05-03-2009, 03:39 PM
and Kobe averaged 40% last year during his MVP season against just Battier...your point?

I'm not denying the fact that Kobe is currently the best player in the NBA along with Lebron James. I'm just making it clear that Kobe isn't God nor is he Michael Jordan. He CAN be stopped. And the two players that could do it are the same two players who force Lebron James, the other best player in the NBA, into playing some of the worse game he had this season. That's not far-fetched.

i also want to make it known to you Lakers fan that the Rockets did not ever double Lebron at any point this season when we played against them. Battier and Artest covered him by themselves and they switched off of him but Lebron had single coverage at all times.

If you double Kobe, he's going to kick it to the open man be it Gasol, Ariza, Fisher, Bynum, Odom, etc.. and they will make something happen. Another thing, I would relish the idea of Houston trying to single cover Bryant, if they do that, he will kill them. He's the most potent and prolific scorer in the NBA and cannot be single-covered.

Sportfan
05-03-2009, 03:40 PM
lakers in 7

Lakersfan2483
05-03-2009, 03:43 PM
lakers in 7

It won't go 7, LA in 5 games., 6 at the most.

htown_staydown
05-03-2009, 04:04 PM
houston in 7

Squad13
05-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Lakers in 5

DRE'-MAC
05-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Kobe Bryant missed Sunday's practice with a sore throat and is listed as day-to-day, according to a Lakers spokesman.
Kobe is considered a game-time decision, but it's very hard to imagine him missing a playoff game with a sore throat.
Rotoworld

No way he misses the game unless they don't allow him in the stadium in fear that he will give everyone swine flu

GHOSTSNIPER
05-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Lake Show might sweep if we win Game 3

LAKERMANIA
05-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Lakers in 5 or 6 hopefully

Chronz
05-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm not buying this idea that Houston "can't score enough points" to win a series against the Lakers. Against Portland, Houston had 4 players that averaged 15 points or more in the series, all of whom had huge games in the series. Yao, Artest, Scola, Brooks, Wafer, and even Battier are all capable of putting up 20 on any given night. And against an average Lakers' defense, I'd be surprised if all of these guys don't have some big games in this series.
What makes you think the Lakers defense is average? Theyre much better than the Blazers are thats for sure.

Chronz
05-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Rockets will not trap Kobe, Im very interested to see if Kobe has it in him of winning a defensive series like this will be on his own, cuz the Rockets will focus on everyone else.

brandt
05-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Lake Show might sweep if we win Game 3
Aint gonna happen. You have to win game 1 first. Apparently you didn't see the first game of the Rockets/Blazers series where the Rockets dominated Portland by 27 points AT Portland. Not saying it's going to happen again against a very good Lakers team in LA, but the Rockets can still win. I'll tell you one thing though, a sweep will never happen.

KeithLBC
05-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Aint gonna happen. You have to win game 1 first. Apparently you didn't see the first game of the Rockets/Blazers series where the Rockets dominated Portland by 27 points AT Portland. Not saying it's going to happen again against a very good Lakers team in LA, but the Rockets can still win. I'll tell you one thing though, a sweep will never happen.

You mean against a Portland team that has NO experience in the playoffs? I guarantee the Lakers know what to expect and how to react to a playoff game better than Portland.

brandt
05-03-2009, 06:07 PM
[/B]

If you double Kobe, he's going to kick it to the open man be it Gasol, Ariza, Fisher, Bynum, Odom, etc.. and they will make something happen. Another thing, I would relish the idea of Houston trying to single cover Bryant, if they do that, he will kill them. He's the most potent and prolific scorer in the NBA and cannot be single-covered.

And what makes you think that if Yao get's double teamed, he won't kick it out to Scola, Brooks, Battier, Artest, Landry, Wafer, etc......who are just as capable of making something happen as much as the other guys you mentioned. By the way I don't know anyone who can consistantly guard Yao Ming one on one either, including Bynum. If he actually thinks he can overtake Yao Ming in a 7 game series, he's smoking crack. I'll never forget when Dampier of the Mavricks said he was going to destroy Ming, and Ming destroyed him! Not saying that will happen to Bynum, but he's gonna have his work cut out for him.

mightybosstone
05-03-2009, 06:22 PM
What makes you think the Lakers defense is average? Theyre much better than the Blazers are thats for sure.

How do you figure? The Lakers gave up 5 more points per game in the regular season...

brandt
05-03-2009, 06:23 PM
You mean against a Portland team that has NO experience in the playoffs? I guarantee the Lakers know what to expect and how to react to a playoff game better than Portland.

True, but so do the Rockets. Especially after finally getting out of the first round. But the Rocket's DO have playoff experience and they won't go down easy.

Brooke
05-03-2009, 06:44 PM
the Lakers wont be overconfident, they arent taking the Rockets lightly at all

I am one who thinks this will go at least 6 games

DenButsu
05-03-2009, 06:45 PM
How do you figure? The Lakers gave up 5 more points per game in the regular season...

And ppg allowed is a terrible measure of a team's defense.

astrosmaniac
05-03-2009, 07:26 PM

i agree, this series will go at least 6 games, and honestly i dont think we will win this series, but i just hate lakers fans who act as if everyone else besides them is trash and that no one will put up any kind of fight

lakersrock
05-03-2009, 07:29 PM
i agree, this series will go at least 6 games, and honestly i dont think we will win this series, but i just hate lakers fans who act as if everyone else besides them is trash and that no one will put up any kind of fight

You can get mad all you want, but the Lakers thrashed the Rockets in the regular season. 4-0, 89 PPG Allowed and 28% 3P Allowed would mean that LA's offense is gonna slaughter those numbers. LA plays the style of whatever team they play. Utah was able to come back all the time because neither team would defend. Against Houston, they clearly defend quite well. No way this goes past 5 games unless somebody is hurt.....like Kobe possibly missing tomorrow night's game.

Like I said mbt, they held the Rockets to under 90 on average (4 games) with 28% from 3. With how jump shot happy that team can get, that's a deadly combo.

lakersrock
05-03-2009, 07:30 PM
double

lakersrock
05-03-2009, 07:36 PM
I forgot to mention this as well. Shannon Brown is a perfect guy to defend Brooks/Lowry due to his size, Kobe can defend anyone, Ariza will be all over Battier, Gasol/Odom have huge wingspans to disrupt Scola and Bynum is one of the few guys in the league that can body up Yao. Yao is clearly the advantage for them, but as usual, I doubt they play through him. On the other end, Brooks/Lowry arn't the best defenders, but Fisher mainly just hangs around outside, nobody on the Rockets team has stopped Kobe this year, Battier/Artest will basically take away Ariza unless he is cutting and outruns them, Gasol will shoot right over Scola like he did Milsap/Boozer and Bynum will have to outquick Yao. This just isn't a good matchup for them due to the Lakers size. I really hope Artest is on Ariza though. He'll blow by him over and over. I think Battier would be able to do better on him. That said, Artest on Kobe is just asking for blow bys....especially after that Roy comment.

pippsux
05-03-2009, 07:46 PM
:jumpy:

Might not be able to sleep 2 nite. I am ready for this 2nd round battle.

Go rockets!

Very :jumpy:

astrosmaniac
05-03-2009, 07:53 PM
You can get mad all you want, but the Lakers thrashed the Rockets in the regular season. 4-0, 89 PPG Allowed and 28% 3P Allowed would mean that LA's offense is gonna slaughter those numbers. LA plays the style of whatever team they play. Utah was able to come back all the time because neither team would defend. Against Houston, they clearly defend quite well. No way this goes past 5 games unless somebody is hurt.....like Kobe possibly missing tomorrow night's game.

Like I said mbt, they held the Rockets to under 90 on average (4 games) with 28% from 3. With how jump shot happy that team can get, that's a deadly combo.
^^^this is the kind of statement that gets me mad. people made theses types of statements last year, acting like their team had no shot at losing, but they still lost.

like i said earlier in this thread, the first two games these teams matched-up don't really mean much. this isnt the same team. the first game an injured t-mac who couldn't do anything was taking away from the offense and brining nothing defensively, also artest was injured and with no battier. In the second game, we still didnt have a set rotation with all the t-mac "will i play, will i not play" drama.

the last three games of the regular season matchup all came down to the last minute of play. those games were pretty close, no one "slaughtered" anyone in those games.

also do you really expect them to shoot less that 30% from 3 for the entire series? cause if you do, then you are more of a one sided homer than i thought you were LR.

lakers4sho
05-03-2009, 07:55 PM
And what makes you think that if Yao get's double teamed, he won't kick it out to Scola, Brooks, Battier, Artest, Landry, Wafer, etc......who are just as capable of making something happen as much as the other guys you mentioned. By the way I don't know anyone who can consistantly guard Yao Ming one on one either, including Bynum. If he actually thinks he can overtake Yao Ming in a 7 game series, he's smoking crack. I'll never forget when Dampier of the Mavricks said he was going to destroy Ming, and Ming destroyed him! Not saying that will happen to Bynum, but he's gonna have his work cut out for him.

DJ Mbenga :smoking:

superkegger
05-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Interesting stat: Teams that swept the season series 3-0 or 4-0, have never lost the playoff series between the two teams. Doesn't bode well for Houston or Dallas.

lakersrock
05-03-2009, 10:51 PM
also do you really expect them to shoot less that 30% from 3 for the entire series? cause if you do, then you are more of a one sided homer than i thought you were LR.

Why does it make me a homer to believe that a trend will continue? They played four times and they shot that bad in all of them. What's changed to make me think differently?

superkegger
05-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Why does it make me a homer to believe that a trend will continue? They played four times and they shot that bad in all of them. What's changed to make me think differently?

Because it's the playoffs?

leftymo
05-03-2009, 11:23 PM

Lakers will go to 6 games, but in the next series. Not this one.

marques724
05-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Houston lacks the firepower to keep up with the lakers, and for all of Artest defensive prowess Kobe has owned historically. Lakers in five and I wouldn't be shocked if they swept them.

AllTheWay
05-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Because it's the playoffs?

True, but regular season trends tend to continue in the playoffs. The regular season is not completely useless like everyone tends to think.

AllTheWay
05-04-2009, 01:18 AM

Bryant had a better overall campaign this year than last.....

rabueed
05-04-2009, 01:54 AM
A few notable facts you disregarded

You cited the PT differential of +13

But one of those games came in the very early stage of the season when Tmac and Artest were both struggling with their health (they shot 3-22 in the game) and Battier was out altogether.

In the games since then youve won one game by 5Pts, another by 6, and the last by 8. All contested games won in the closing possessions. The Lakers are easily the most talented team in the league so obviously its in their favor but your asking for reasons why it might be close.

No, I was asking why you guys would win, not why it would be close. It will definitely be close, you guys will put up a fight, but you won't win.

And a win is a win, you guys had the favor tip your way practically every game, but we still pulled it out. Don't tell me that you didn't because T-mac wasn't playing, because that's arguable at best.

mightybosstone
05-04-2009, 04:27 AM

It should be noted that they shot 37% from 3's against Portland (and that's with Artest missing more than 4 per game). No way they average less than 30% for the entire series against LA.

JayW_1023
05-04-2009, 05:32 AM

The Lakers will try to front Yao first...and Yao is very uncomfortable when he is fronted. If he catches the ball while fronted the Lakers have another seven footer to rotate under the basket. The Lakers have two seven-footers in the front court, talk about luxury...which is more than most teams. So no, Yao will have a very hard time finding his rythm. This means the Lakers are actually one of the few teams that DON'T have to double Yao at all times.

The Lakers also have the athelticism on their side. Scola is a scrappy post defender...but I don't like his chances if Odom catches the ball in the high post. I think Odom will be the big difference this series because they have no one who really matches up with him. Your best bet to contain Odom is to play Artest at the four spot to keep the defense honest.

Gasol is too good. He will face up Yao at the center and chump Scola, Landry and Hayes in the low post at the four with his skills and length. Plus Gasol is unselfish...he will always willingly pass when he is doubled. If Yao is on the floor, the Lakers can either go small and kill the Rockets in transition if Yao happens to have a good night.

For the Rockets to be succesful they have to slow down the pace...they need to be physical and bang around, and foul hard when necessairy. Last season the Lakers were suspectible to physical play against Boston. The real challenge is for Aaron Brooks to understand this and not go helter skelter all the time...because Fishers smarts will exploit that tendency.

The real key for Houston is to make the Lakers shoot from the perimeter more. Kobe will get his even with two great defenders in his jersey. But if Gasol, Bynum and Odom get going from around the basket the Lakers will dominate. They need to force the Lakers into a jump shooting team...tall order really. The triangle offense is all about player and ball movement so the Lakers edge in athleticism and speed will be exploited with maximum efficiency.

JayW_1023
05-04-2009, 11:19 AM
If the Zen Master makes his players play a few rounds of Bill Laimbeers Combat Basketball, it could prove to be a great motivational tactic. I'm pretty sure the Lakers are the favorite to win this series...but the big question that will really be answered this series is wether the Lakers have the toughness necessairy to win a championship.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-04-2009, 08:37 PM
The Lakers will try to front Yao first...and Yao is very uncomfortable when he is fronted. If he catches the ball while fronted the Lakers have another seven footer to rotate under the basket. The Lakers have two seven-footers in the front court, talk about luxury...which is more than most teams. So no, Yao will have a very hard time finding his rythm. This means the Lakers are actually one of the few teams that DON'T have to double Yao at all times.

The Lakers also have the athelticism on their side. Scola is a scrappy post defender...but I don't like his chances if Odom catches the ball in the high post. I think Odom will be the big difference this series because they have no one who really matches up with him. Your best bet to contain Odom is to play Artest at the four spot to keep the defense honest.

Gasol is too good. He will face up Yao at the center and chump Scola, Landry and Hayes in the low post at the four with his skills and length. Plus Gasol is unselfish...he will always willingly pass when he is doubled. If Yao is on the floor, the Lakers can either go small and kill the Rockets in transition if Yao happens to have a good night.

For the Rockets to be succesful they have to slow down the pace...they need to be physical and bang around, and foul hard when necessairy. Last season the Lakers were suspectible to physical play against Boston. The real challenge is for Aaron Brooks to understand this and not go helter skelter all the time...because Fishers smarts will exploit that tendency.

The real key for Houston is to make the Lakers shoot from the perimeter more. Kobe will get his even with two great defenders in his jersey. But if Gasol, Bynum and Odom get going from around the basket the Lakers will dominate. They need to force the Lakers into a jump shooting team...tall order really. The triangle offense is all about player and ball movement so the Lakers edge in athleticism and speed will be exploited with maximum efficiency.

Very good insight

astrosmaniac
05-04-2009, 08:43 PM
No, I was asking why you guys would win, not why it would be close. It will definitely be close, you guys will put up a fight, but you won't win.

And a win is a win, you guys had the favor tip your way practically every game, but we still pulled it out. Don't tell me that you didn't because T-mac wasn't playing, because that's arguable at best.

actually the argument is that you won the first game by so much BECAUSE we had mcgrady. he shot 1 of 11 and brought no defense. we are better off without him. by the 3rd and 4th match-ups of the season, the rockets were more set in a rotation and those games were won by 6 and 8 points, with the game being within 1 position with around 30 seconds left.

S-Jax39
05-04-2009, 08:44 PM
This is going to be an interesting series.

The Pau/Bynum-Yao matchup should be very enjoyable seeing.

Rico1455
05-04-2009, 09:12 PM

Yea you are probably right, with the refs in his back pocket that usually helps.

Verbal Christ
05-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Yea you are probably right, with the refs in his back pocket that usually helps.

so new, yet so in tune. brilliant! :clap:

markhebert42
05-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Sweep!

championships
05-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Well atleast you know. Now go tell all your buddys, just so they know that there best defensive guys will be in foul trouble.

JayW_1023
05-05-2009, 06:37 AM
The real key for Houston is to make the Lakers shoot from the perimeter more. Kobe will get his even with two great defenders in his jersey. But if Gasol, Bynum and Odom get going from around the basket the Lakers will dominate. They need to force the Lakers into a jump shooting team...tall order really.

Perhaps if Game 1 is any proof...it may not really be such a tall order as I originally thought.

JordansBulls
05-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Nice to see the Rockets take command in game 1.

theimortalone
05-05-2009, 09:42 AM
I can't believe how many Laker fans actually believed that this game would be a sweep. What a damn shame! :pity:

king4day
05-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Well 21 people are wrong. LA may still win the series, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the Rockets will win another game, meaning 44 other people are wrong too.

JordansBulls
05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
I can't believe how many Laker fans actually believed that this game would be a sweep. What a damn shame! :pity:

When you are a good team it is always easy for a fan base to get cocky.

Chronz
05-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Being cocky and unrealistic dont go hand in hand

Anyone who was forecasting a sweep hasnt been watching basketball long enough to be making any sort of predictions.

Verbal Christ
05-05-2009, 05:36 PM

even better are those 'fans' who went from GUARANTEEING sweep, to the next best thing .. lakers in 5 (4 in a row with two in H-Town mind you) funny stuff. oh and im gonna go ahead and call it, all these douche bags that are hinding under their covers only to resurface when the lakers win their first game to return and bless us with the brilliant gems such as, but not limited to:

"i told you sorry *** rockets the lakers were the best"
"the refs didnt cheat this game"
"you should just forfeit"

ROX fans feel free to add on, because i dont have the time to needle through a thousand posts all pretty much saying the same crap.

theimortalone
05-05-2009, 06:44 PM
When you are a good team it is always easy for a fan base to get cocky.

True that JordansBulls! :pity:

JordansBulls
05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Let's put them in a 2-0 hole.