PDA

View Full Version : Van Gundy's coaching style under fire

pd7631
04-30-2009, 02:32 PM
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Stan Van Gundy sprang off the Orlando Magic's bench as if he had been shot out of one of those T-shirt guns, flailing his arms and scrunching up his face as though his pregame meal was coming back to haunt him.

The impetus for this particular mini-rant from Van Gundy was Magic forward Mickael Pietrus giving up a blow-by dunk to Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala, but really it could have been any of a dozen or so moments from a Magic game.

If this is how the coach reacts to one blown coverage, just imagine what his mindset was as his Magic fell into 1-0 and 2-1 holes against the heavy-underdog 76ers before pulling ahead 3-2 on Tuesday night. In three of the first four games of the series, Orlando either blew or almost squandered a big lead, leading some to wonder if Van Gundy's antics were causing the Magic to grow tighter and sweatier than, well, a Van Gundy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?page=VanGundy-090430

"When it gets tough in the playoffs, he will become the master of panic like he did before and he will quit like he did before. When it gets time for his team to go into the postseason and do certain things, he will let them down." --Shaq

thoughts?....

superkegger
04-30-2009, 02:39 PM
A link to the article would be nice.

But I think he's a fine coach, and while he may be panicky at times, too much is being made of it.

pd7631
04-30-2009, 02:48 PM
my bad...i knew i forgot something lol

magicbucs4eva
04-30-2009, 02:51 PM
to put a shaq quote is ridiculous! hes at home watching these games. Stan the man is a great coach! he demands the most out of our players and he wont take anything less!! he doesnt praise anyone too much, he doesnt pick favorites and that is exactly what u need!! i personally like him a lot! and he is a lot of fun to watch

JNore151
04-30-2009, 02:52 PM
i kinda feel what they saying, i always tought he does over react sometimes but id rather have a passionate coach than..... someone who stares aimlessly,looks like he just got a face lift, then at the post game whine about howard being in the paint too long and basicly get sonned by SVG.........fukkkkk atta here philly fan..........

superkegger
04-30-2009, 02:53 PM
The article has some merit, I guess we'll see how it plays out though. Sometimes these type of things are overblown and nit picking, sometimes they're spot on. If they win this series, and the next one, and push the Cavs to 7 or win the ECF, I don't think we'd be signing the same tune about him as the article does.

pd7631
04-30-2009, 02:53 PM
to put a shaq quote is ridiculous! hes at home watching these games. Stan the man is a great coach! he demands the most out of our players and he wont take anything less!! he doesnt praise anyone too much, he doesnt pick favorites and that is exactly what u need!! i personally like him a lot! and he is a lot of fun to watch

yeah, for what...only the 2nd time in his career?

magicbucs4eva
04-30-2009, 03:05 PM
idk i dont keep up wit shaq but SVG is better then the coach he has in Phoenix! the only reason shaq said he panicked is bc shaq flopped against howard

braveniler58
04-30-2009, 03:18 PM
idk i dont keep up wit shaq but SVG is better then the coach he has in Phoenix! the only reason shaq said he panicked is bc shaq flopped against howard

What? :confused:

magicbucs4eva
04-30-2009, 03:21 PM
did u not see the magic vs suns a few months ago? thats why shaq got all heated bc svg said shaq flopped

pd7631
04-30-2009, 03:26 PM
did u not see the magic vs suns a few months ago? thats why shaq got all heated bc svg said shaq flopped

Shaq was also coached by SVG, so he has first hand experience with how SVG can set a team into panic mode

magicbucs4eva
04-30-2009, 03:39 PM
that was the year they won the championship lol. except pat reilly wanted to coach again so he fired him

MTone8788
04-30-2009, 03:50 PM
i kinda feel what they saying, i always tought he does over react sometimes but id rather have a passionate coach than..... someone who stares aimlessly,looks like he just got a face lift, then at the post game whine about howard being in the paint too long and basicly get sonned by SVG.........fukkkkk atta here philly fan..........

Since when does it matter what coach you'd rather have? I didn't know you played in the NBA! You say all that trash, but even the ORLANDO MAGIC'S OWN PLAYERS have some to say about SVG, including THEIR BEST PLAYER.

And just because Tony DiLeo (who you did not name but are clearly making immature, ignorant remarks about) has a different demeanor than SVG does not mean that he is not passionate. I don't know your definition of passionate, but if being a star high school player, then playing college ball, then coaching internationally, then being with an NBA organization for the past 17 years is not passionate enough then I don't know what is.

Besides, what is wrong with him pointing out that an OFFICIAL RULE is not being enforced? Grow up. The Magic's players complain on the court, and so does every other team's players.

Magic are getting crushed tonight, see you in Orlando.

kingkobe
04-30-2009, 03:51 PM
that was the year they won the championship lol. except pat reilly wanted to get the ring and the fame instead so he fired him

Fixed it for ya!

magicbucs4eva
04-30-2009, 03:56 PM
lol thanks man! but that was not stans fault he was doing great

JNore151
04-30-2009, 04:38 PM
yo mtone...put sumthing on it.....when we win tonite in philly with two starters out....u gotta rock a magic sig for a month......press #, unless u scared, just like ur coach....lol

the end is near seventy-sisters fans!!!!!

pd7631
04-30-2009, 04:49 PM
yo mtone...put sumthing on it.....when we win tonite in philly with two starters out....u gotta rock a magic sig for a month......press #, unless u scared, just like ur coach....lol

really.....seventy-sisters? that's the best you could come up with? wow, that's a killer burn man:surrender:

MTone8788
04-30-2009, 05:07 PM

Hahaha.. are you serious? I don't care, I'll do that...

I'm used to betting money, not for sig wearing haha so no problem buddy

Funny how you avoided my whole post though, that just tells me that I'm right. :dance:

JNore151
04-30-2009, 11:27 PM
iight son, yo man up be a man of your word........

superkegger
04-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Well, with no lee or howard, the magic didn't panic and took it to the sixers, so....

magicbucs4eva
04-30-2009, 11:41 PM
dominated them! gortat did ur guys dirty

J-Relo
05-01-2009, 03:01 AM
yea Van Gundy is the guy likek Shaq said, but he's still good...

superkegger
05-01-2009, 03:54 AM
I think we'll see what kind of coach he really is when the 2nd and if they advance, the 3rd round. If he and the magic play well and beat the bulls or celtics and either push the cavs to a good series or beat them, then I think this will prove as just nit picking on his style.

superkegger
06-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Looks like Stan proved this wrong...

ink
06-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Looks like Stan proved this wrong...

:nod:

To be fair though, not everyone jumped on the bash Stan bandwagon ...

ManRam
06-03-2009, 04:35 PM
SVG is an upper echelon coach. He is as much of a reason that the Magic are in the playoffs as anyone else on the team. He knows the pulse of his team, he is a defensive whiz, and he never isn't plotting or coaching. He gives 149% effort every night.

I love SVG. I don't even think he panics, he's just a high energy, emotional and loud coach. It isn't panic, it's how he coaches.

whoakid
06-03-2009, 04:36 PM
he was good coach with the heat. can't really knock him

ManRam
06-03-2009, 04:40 PM
I like how Ian Thomson puts it...kind of

Stan Van Gundy is a hell of a coach, and he's an emotional coach, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's not like he has an agenda with certain players -- he's just out there coaching his brains out. He gets so caught up in the game and so emotional that if he says the wrong thing and reacts the wrong way toward his own players, that wouldn't surprise me. He wears it on his sleeve, and that could embarrass someone and it could be an issue. His emotion could be good or it could be bad.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/06/03/finals.scout/2.html

A lot of could-ofs, and mights there...

He never has let it bother his players, except for the whole Dwight calling him out debacle, in which Dwight was not only out of line going to the media, but out of line because what he said was wrong. SVG knew that to win that series, pounding the ball into Dwight wasn't the way to go. Even after DH's comments, the Magic changed nothing offensively, and went on to win the series, and some more after that.