PDA

View Full Version : Do the Spurs need to rebuild?

FaceDown91
04-30-2009, 11:37 AM
It seems the Spurs just don't have it anymore as they have not only lost last year in the WCF 4-1, but they lose in the first round 4-1 this year to the Mavs. Is it time to consider rebuilding again and try to rebuild around Tony Parker or do they need more reloading?

GodsSon
04-30-2009, 11:57 AM
i dont think they need to rebuild yet...Duncan still has another 2-3 (or more) years of performing at an elite level, so until he starts to really decline, they'll remain a threat in the West.

29$JerZ
04-30-2009, 12:00 PM
They need to find a gem late in the draft, mainly a SF. Bowen and Udoka won't cut in any longer.

eugene
04-30-2009, 12:15 PM
They need additional players which are not just a space fillers like Udoka, Vaughn, G.Hill, Bonner... They have absolutely no bench players, two excelent starters and that's all... Current Spurs team has absolutely no chance to compete in the West. First of all they need a SG who can score, bench PG and starting PF or C considering that Duncan can play both positions.

Raidaz4Life
04-30-2009, 12:18 PM
They just got thrashed by the Mavericks in the first round.... I think its safe to say they need to rebuild....

todu82
04-30-2009, 12:22 PM
I think they have to consider re-tooling their franchise. Maybe add a good young player through free agency this summer or draft a gem in the 1st round.

tdunk21
04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
spurs need to dump that stupid old bench players and start focussin on younger players maybe give hill, gooden more playin time...before they get frustrated and ask for a trade...scola was never used when he was on the spurs...look what he is doin now with the rockets...yes to rebuilding and yes to dumping Bonner, vaughn, finley, udoka, KT, oberto and hold on to gooden, hill and get younger athletic guys

Hawkalicious
04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
I would argue that they are trying to rebuild now. Its hard to use this last playoff series as a means to evaluate them because they were missing a HUGE piece of their team. He is a big enough piece that he could've changed the outcome of that series.

DitchDat
04-30-2009, 12:27 PM
I think they should get rid of Ginobili. This guy is a walking injury.

still1ballin
04-30-2009, 12:37 PM
They need fresher legs.

pacofunk64
04-30-2009, 12:40 PM
I think not having Ginobili hurt them but I don't know if even having him if they would have done any better. Maybe win one more game or so, but even though this was a #3 vs #6 seed dont overlook the fact that pretty much seeds 2-8 are pretty equal with Lakers 1 step above. I agree with pretty much everyone else though, they need to get younger & find a little better supporting cast to help out the vets.

JJ81
04-30-2009, 01:46 PM
They have 3 players (Duncan's getting older) and a load of scrubs.

IndyRealist
04-30-2009, 02:09 PM
spurs need to dump that stupid old bench players and start focussin on younger players maybe give hill, gooden more playin time...before they get frustrated and ask for a trade...scola was never used when he was on the spurs...look what he is doin now with the rockets...yes to rebuilding and yes to dumping Bonner, vaughn, finley, udoka, KT, oberto and hold on to gooden, hill and get younger athletic guys

Scola was never on the Spurs, he stayed in Europe until his draft rights were traded to the Rockets.

The problem with the Spurs isn't their reliance on older players like Duncan and Ginobili, who can still perform. It's their reliance on older players like Finley and Bowen who are becoming increasingly inconsistent, and low cost role players who are one dimensional, like Bonner, Thomas, and Udoka. Besides the big 3, keep Roger Mason jr, George Hill, and Drew Gooden if he signs cheap. Trade away everyone else, who all expire in 2010, for draft picks and younger talent. If Manu resigns in 2010 it should be for the MLE or less, and a contract no longer than 2 years.

Chronz
04-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Retool is more like it

pd7631
04-30-2009, 02:18 PM
The problem with the Spurs is that they have nothing of value on their bench. Michael Finley, Kurt Thomas, Bruce Bowen? They're decent players at this stage in their careers, but if they're gonna try and trade them they're not gonna get anything in return for those guys. I highly doubt that they would ever trade Duncan, and Tony Parker is still pretty young and is still getting better.

The best trade piece that they have is Manu. So they can trade him for some picks and a bad player with a big contract, or they can try and get a few OK players for him.

With a healthy Ginobili they can still win a championship, but he hasn't been healthy for a long time, so they have to make a decision about him.

superkegger
04-30-2009, 02:19 PM
They don't need to rebuild, just restructure a bit, and get healthy.

First off they need to use Tim Duncan differently. As Chronz said in another thread:

At this point though the idea of Duncan getting better with time and rest is fallible, granted I agree a fresh Duncan is very important but to be able to do that the Spurs really need to think of giving him the Shaq treatment, play him to start the year if he can, if any sort of injury (however mild) is present sit him out. About halfway through the season before the A.S. break tell Duncan to turn it down or just take off road games altogether. Turn it on a before the playoffs begin and hope for dominance.

Make sure he's the Tim Duncan who can dominate the playoffs.

But as far as this offseason, they need to bring in some offensive help. If they could bring in Rasheed, or Vince or both, that would be money.

They don't need to rebuild, just add a piece here or there, because guys like Finley/Bonner just don't cut it.

theimortalone
04-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Yes I believe so. They are getting older and older. They had a good run with there core of Manu, Parker, and Duncan. 4 rings in 9 years. Not to shabby.

Hellcrooner
04-30-2009, 04:55 PM
They already have yet another Gem awaiting in europe.

They just need to convince Tau vitoria to let Tiago Splitter join them next year, Spend MLE in Sheed and then ask tony and Manu to NOT PLAY fiba ball this summer.

They will contend again next year.

Also they better let their main core play out their contracts and have some cap space in 2 years

jimbobjarree
04-30-2009, 05:00 PM
get healthy and get a decent FA in on the MLE...Sheed in San Antonio would be scary

superkegger
04-30-2009, 05:07 PM
They already have yet another Gem awaiting in europe.

They just need to convince Tau vitoria to let Tiago Splitter join them next year, Spend MLE in Sheed and then ask tony and Manu to NOT PLAY fiba ball this summer.

They will contend again next year.

Also they better let their main core play out their contracts and have some cap space in 2 years

From what I've read and heard, Splitter joining the Spurs anytime soon is a long shot, a long long shot.

Hellcrooner
04-30-2009, 05:12 PM
^team is on a slump now and have some money trouble could negotiate a buy out.

bleedprple&gold
04-30-2009, 05:15 PM
From what I've read and heard, Splitter joining the Spurs anytime soon is a long shot, a long long shot.

Why did that guy bother even putting his name in the draft??

atl_braves_fan
04-30-2009, 05:17 PM
They just need to not rely so heavily on their older guys. The Parker - Duncan pick and roll offense was pretty good this season, they just went away from it for some reason in the playoffs.

Chronz
04-30-2009, 06:21 PM
What more important to the Spurs, an athletic wing or compliment for Duncan? Sheed looks done but he could thrive in San Antonio's system.

Joshtd1
04-30-2009, 06:35 PM
What more important to the Spurs, an athletic wing or compliment for Duncan? Sheed looks done but he could thrive in San Antonio's system.

Spurs have never really had a great big man next to TD except D-Rob..and even then he wasnt what he was. I would rather have an athletic wing who can slash and play D.

ccugrad1
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
They just got thrashed by the Mavericks in the first round.... I think its safe to say they need to rebuild....

Let's see that series with a healthy Ginobli and tell me they get beat 4-1

Joshtd1
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
And no the Spurs dont need to rebuild yet. Yes the Spurs lost to the Mavs....with no Manu, and a not so healthy TD.

In a couple of years we will need to, but we have a good set up for 2010 since TP/Hill/TD/Mahinmi will be the only ones who have contracts.

Don Starks
04-30-2009, 06:44 PM
they should trade manu to the knicks and take nate and curry as two bench guys....it sounds a little crazy but that could be a a deep bench and if they sign rasheed as a starter they would be a contender.

Denver-boy
04-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Wow ..... Spurs just need a new Center.... they have like the lowest Block shots, and they dont have that strong big man.... you feel me

AirJordan23
04-30-2009, 06:52 PM
No, they can still contend but they need to retool their roster a bit. Even if the current roster was healthy, I won't see them doing much damage. Sheed would be a great signing this off season. I say this because he WANTED to play in San Antonio which means he'd be motivated. Pop would be the type of guy who would keep him under control. Not to mention what a great compliment he'd be to Duncan. Rasheed would spread the floor for their slashers (Parker, Manu) and is a legit post defender. It would also allow Duncan to go to work in the low post and if they come for the double, kick it out to one of the open guys. Sheed is a vet and known for making clutch plays. So, yeah he'd be a nice pick up. And with this signing, they could be a much better team next year. Manu doesn't have to play any international ball so he'd be healthy and 100% for the next season. Not to say that he can't get injured but at least he'd be fit and ready to go. Duncan would have a lot of rest and I can see them contending next year.

ragee
04-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Yes... It would be a waste if you have a superstar like Parker and would not be able to get past the first round for the next couple of years... I say trade everyone except Parker and Duncan... Get younger players and build aroud those two... Duncan is getting old but can still help them...

IversonIsKrazy
04-30-2009, 07:06 PM
if spurs rebuilt, that would be horrible. There going to leave the way things are until 2012.They might sign sum extra FA's, get some new players and stuff, but no way are they going to re-built. The team is going to be pretty similar until the year 2012.

JordansBulls
04-30-2009, 07:07 PM
It seems the Spurs just don't have it anymore as they have not only lost last year in the WCF 4-1, but they lose in the first round 4-1 this year to the Mavs. Is it time to consider rebuilding again and try to rebuild around Tony Parker or do they need more reloading?

They need to get Prince or Artest or Battier to replace Bowen and they will be ok.

Testaverde16
04-30-2009, 07:09 PM
they just need to get some decent youth to go with their ancient bench. rebuilding isn't necessary.

Joshtd1
04-30-2009, 09:51 PM
They need to get Prince or Artest or Battier to replace Bowen and they will be ok.

Hell no to Artest. His defense has slipped, and I hate his offense for the most part.

Quello scelto
04-30-2009, 10:21 PM
What do you think of a Manu Ginobili for a Tayshuan Prince?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d3wkhz

If they get Michael Finley back they'd have him and Roger Mason at the SG.

How do you think they would fair with that trade?

KB24PG16
04-30-2009, 10:31 PM
its time

VCaintdead17
04-30-2009, 11:14 PM
I give it one more year. I have a feeling that this offseason they will sign a savy veteran for the MLE. But, after next season, it's time to start over.

AllTheWay
05-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Bringing in a dynamic wing player(VC? Allen Iverson even?) would allow them to continue to compete.

Kannon81
05-01-2009, 01:06 AM
i think they do

they could go after amare to help duncin.

#1Mavericksfan
05-01-2009, 03:25 AM
Spurs need to stop trying to sign all these all washed up players man...they need to go after Trevor Ariza hard this offseason to replace Bruce Bowen because he's done.

superkegger
05-01-2009, 04:03 AM
i think they do

another Kenoshan. :cool:

Spurs need to stop trying to sign all these all washed up players man...they need to go after Trevor Ariza hard this offseason to replace Bruce Bowen because he's done.

I don't think ariza is the answer. If they were in a different situation, maybe. But they love the 3, and putting ariza in that situation would be bad, because while he can hit the 3, its not his game. With Manu, TP and TD, they've got paint scoring handled. They need defenders in the bowen mold, who defend and hit the 3, and another true big to play next to TD.

KH12
05-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Luol Deng and Tyrus Thomas for Tim Duncan. :D

davg31
05-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Rebuild soon. Manu needs to go. Far too many injuries

JayW_1023
05-01-2009, 07:34 AM
They need to retool more and build around Tony Parker more...who is entering his prime. Duncan and Manu can still contribute when healthy...everyone else is pretty much expendable in my opinion.

azkarraga
05-01-2009, 07:47 AM
i think they are quite allright. they shouldnt change at all. everything's ok. i like the spurs out in first round. for ever.

and i think tony parker aint good enough to win it all by himself and not good enough to make his teammates collaborate and win. so, i'd trade him. well no, as i like them loosing, let them keep him

eugene
05-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Sign Vince and Sheed for two years contracts :)

Joshtd1
05-01-2009, 09:30 AM
They need to retool more and build around Tony Parker more...who is entering his prime. Duncan and Manu can still contribute when healthy...everyone else is pretty much expendable in my opinion.

Disagree. Duncan still ended up putting up 19-10 a game this year, after playing on a bad knee. Still build around him till 2010 (which the Spurs have set up great), and hope we land someone really good. Then it would be around that player + TP.

PennyMy#1
05-01-2009, 09:31 AM
They don't need to re-build. They have a decent suqad. Parker, Duncan, healthy Ginnobili. That's good. Really good. Maybe they should add a more dominant big man next to Tim. Roger Mason, Hill are nice pieces. Even Gooden is little surprise to me ...

No, I would definitely NOT re-build that team.

Joshtd1
05-01-2009, 09:39 AM
As much as a good big man would be nice, the Spurs (outside of the Admiral, who even then was on the decline) havent really had that good of a big man next to TD in their championship years.

Adding a wing player who can create for themselves and score, when the Spurs are in one of their slumps because they are chucking 3's, is what I think the Spurs need most. Hopefully Hill can be that player next season, but also adding someone of course.

LA_Raiders
05-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Yeah, TD can't play all season long, He just looked tired at the end...

Trade TD for a young upcoming Star....

TD for Bynum, Morrison & Farmer?

Bucsfan
05-01-2009, 11:41 AM
the spurs need to trade tim duncan to the jazz for Kirilenko :) haha

Chi-Town Finest
05-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Of course they need to and they should start by trading Duncan to the Bulls for our next 3 first round picks and a player of their choosing excluding Rose:D. Seriously, that team is run so well that I dont ever think they will go into full rebuild mode.

TheDiggler
05-01-2009, 12:18 PM
As much as a good big man would be nice, the Spurs (outside of the Admiral, who even then was on the decline) havent really had that good of a big man next to TD in their championship years.

Adding a wing player who can create for themselves and score, when the Spurs are in one of their slumps because they are chucking 3's, is what I think the Spurs need most. Hopefully Hill can be that player next season, but also adding someone of course.

Yes, that could be a solution. I don't know what your salary looks like, but maybe you can add VC15 or some guy like that ...

JayW_1023
05-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah, TD can't play all season long, He just looked tired at the end...

Trade TD for a young upcoming Star....

TD for Bynum, Morrison & Farmer?

In your dreams, buddy :cool:

Lakergirl24
05-01-2009, 01:07 PM
I dont think they need to do a major overhaul but they need more youth. I think they need to get rid of guys like bruce bowen who are over the hill and bring in someone like ben gordon.