PDA

View Full Version : Melo the forgotten Star

skinsfan4life80
04-30-2009, 11:02 AM
good article about how Melo, and how he has fallen off the superstar map.
Very true.
http://www.playersvoice.com/nba/forgotten-star.html

LakersIn5
04-30-2009, 11:12 AM
so true.

DrDEADalready
04-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Wrong!!!

skinsfan4life80
04-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Wrong!!!

pretty insightful comment. Guess you have no argument

J-Relo
04-30-2009, 11:27 AM
well he's definitely not forgotten but as his own stats dropped, people just don't take him somewhere near Lebron...

LakersIn5
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
his stats dropped cuz his playing more of team ball. team ball doesnt mean his gonna get more assists so dont bring up that melo averages the same number of assists

IBleedPurple
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
well he's definitely not forgotten but as his own stats dropped, people just don't take him somewhere near Lebron...

I think that is part of him growing as a teammate. He is playing with the Pistons/Spurs type mentality where stats don't matter, only wins.

He has really had a fantastic season, and last night he had a great game also. It doesn't help that the Nuggets get less media attention. If he was on a team with a bigger market and media reach, I guarantee he would be regarded much higher. Is he on the level of Wade/Lebron? Not quite, but he is playing extremely well, and better than Wade at the moment. The key to getting respect among everyone is doing so well on a constant basis, and being a leader.

skinsfan4life80
04-30-2009, 11:40 AM
but his scoring is down cause he is taking less shoots. He had to change his role in order to help the team win. He is not scoring less because he cant score anymore ..thats just silly dude isnt even 25. He has already done the 30 points a night thing and it got them nothing. Melo can still drop 30 whenever

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Melo's still the second best SF in the league.

skinsfan4life80
04-30-2009, 12:47 PM

I concure

avsman05
04-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Melo's star is just changing we'll see if he keeps this up through the playoffs and through the years if so his star will be bright again.

DenButsu
04-30-2009, 01:03 PM
One of the things that has made me most happy in these playoffs, aside from the simple fact of Denver FINALLY!!! getting out of the first round, is how different and better the current playoffs Melo is compared to all previous postseasons. And he just keeps playing better and better with every game. 34 points in game 5 was his career postseason high score. I'm still interested to see how he'll do against Josh Howard, who will put up a hell of a lot more resistance from a single defender than Peja did (hard to even write that with a straight face - although Melo was rarely guarded one-on-one, somewhat minimizing the imortance of the point). But New Orleans threw a bunch of different defensive looks Melo's way, and he did a fantastic job of adjusting on the fly, so if he's able just to maintain his current level of play against Dallas, I think they'll find themselves having a very difficult time slowing him down (as a playmaker as well as a scorer).

m26555
04-30-2009, 02:02 PM
I just don't consider Anthony a superstar, to be honest. He is a VERY good player, but he is just not good enough defensively to merit superstar status. If we're just going by offense alone, he is certainly elite; he is one of the most gifted scorers in the game, but all-around? I just don't see it.

Again, VERY good player and is most definitely in the next tier of the best players in the league, but he isn't a superstar.

I will say this, though: he grew up A LOT this season.

masalex1205
04-30-2009, 02:23 PM
"While Anthony’s star status off the court is light years behind James' and Wade's, his play on it is not far behind at all."

I just don't feel like Carmelo doesn't have that killer instinct, I AM going to win mentality that Lebron, Kobe, Michael Jordan, and to a lesser extent Wade have, that superstar thought process and that's what is holding him back. It's just not in him otherwise I feel like we'd see more effort onthe defensive end of the floor

superkegger
04-30-2009, 02:27 PM
I think his sinking in the star status was rightfully deserved. He had some issues off the court, and he couldn't get past the first round, and had largely struggled in the playoffs.

You don't deserve to be mentioned as the best when those things happen. But in how the NBA goes, we love redemption stories, and now Melo will get his due.

b_russ
04-30-2009, 02:37 PM
I think they only reason we can consider having this conversation is because of Chauncey Billups.

skinsfan4life80
04-30-2009, 06:47 PM
I cant really say Melo doesnt have the killer instinc i just dont think he has the ball in his hands nearly as much as those other guys. Wade and Lebron have the ball all game long..every play they touch the ball..with Melo its not like that...when they played on team usa and they actually ran plays and everyone touch the ball equally he showed he can score just as much as them..

jimbobjarree
04-30-2009, 06:52 PM
yeah but Wade and LBJ have both been to the finals whereas Melo hadnt got out the first round, I think his fall was just compared to those two.

We'll see this year, the Nuggets should make the WCF and we'll see how Melo copes then

JordansBulls
04-30-2009, 06:54 PM
good article about how Melo, and how he has fallen off the superstar map.
Very true.
http://www.playersvoice.com/nba/forgotten-star.html

To me what killed Melo was the fight in New York and where he was suspended for 15 games. Up until then that year he and Lebron were pretty much the same. After that though, Lebron took off.

Spurred1
04-30-2009, 06:57 PM
I think that is part of him growing as a teammate. He is playing with the Pistons/Spurs type mentality where stats don't matter, only wins.

He has really had a fantastic season, and last night he had a great game also. It doesn't help that the Nuggets get less media attention. If he was on a team with a bigger market and media reach, I guarantee he would be regarded much higher. Is he on the level of Wade/Lebron? Not quite, but he is playing extremely well, and better than Wade at the moment. The key to getting respect among everyone is doing so well on a constant basis, and being a leader.

Now, this isn't intended as an insult or anything against Carmelo. He's been terrific this postseason and hasn't been required to score as much as he has in the past. He's made a difference in a number of ways aside from scoring. I definitely agree that getting everyone playing well is crucial, but that and the leadership aspect relates more to Billups than anyone else on that team. I don't see Melo as the leader of that team-Billups is who makes that team run and leads them through the wins.

skinsfan4life80
04-30-2009, 07:13 PM
I do think that fight hurt him a lot in the public eye...at that point i think Stern said lets hold up on making this guy the face of anything..and we all know what Stern says goes. As far as making it out of the first round..there is a big defference in making it out of the frist round in the west and in the east. As a rookie he lost to a 60 win Wolves team then he lost to the Spurs twice and the Lakers...that is a lot different then playing the Raptors, Sixers, Bucks and those other 45 lost teams making the playoffs in the East. You see the year Lebron went to the finals they got ran right out the gym vs the Spurs..thats the same team Melo is seeing in the first round..so its not real apples to apples..there

dtmagnet
04-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Who really cares about how big a star someone is, its about winning games and he's doing that.

IBleedPurple
04-30-2009, 07:37 PM
[/B]

Now, this isn't intended as an insult or anything against Carmelo. He's been terrific this postseason and hasn't been required to score as much as he has in the past. He's made a difference in a number of ways aside from scoring. I definitely agree that getting everyone playing well is crucial, but that and the leadership aspect relates more to Billups than anyone else on that team. I don't see Melo as the leader of that team-Billups is who makes that team run and leads them through the wins.

I completely agree that Melo is not a leader, and that is one of the two main reasons why he isn't a superstar, just a great player. Until he leads a team, and performs consistently for a longer duration (not just this season), then he won't get there. This season and playoffs have been a good way to get back to this status.

I do think that fight hurt him a lot in the public eye...at that point i think Stern said lets hold up on making this guy the face of anything..and we all know what Stern says goes. As far as making it out of the first round..there is a big defference in making it out of the frist round in the west and in the east. As a rookie he lost to a 60 win Wolves team then he lost to the Spurs twice and the Lakers...that is a lot different then playing the Raptors, Sixers, Bucks and those other 45 lost teams making the playoffs in the East. You see the year Lebron went to the finals they got ran right out the gym vs the Spurs..thats the same team Melo is seeing in the first round..so its not real apples to apples..there

Agree here as well. Being a bottom 3 seed in the West the last several years, the Nuggets were always stuck playing a powerhouse team. Yes, they folded like a lawn chair in the playoffs, but they weren't close to playing at the level of their competition. Each year, they could've been one of the better teams in the East.

DenButsu
04-30-2009, 07:44 PM
He is a VERY good player, but he is just not good enough defensively to merit superstar status. If we're just going by offense alone, he is certainly elite; he is one of the most gifted scorers in the game, but all-around? I just don't see it.

I think there's truth to that, ... BUT, if he can continue playing defense like he has been this season (and especially this postseason), that's a reality and perception that will turn around. The biggest problem with his defense up to this point was a lack of effort, but now that the effort is there, quality defense is following suit.

I think they only reason we can consider having this conversation is because of Chauncey Billups.

I think there's truth to that, too. The notion that AI "stunted" Melo's growth while Billups fostered it seems pretty well cinfirmed to me now. That said, only Melo himself can play his game on the court, and be receptive to Chauncey's player-coaching and efforts to facilitate his development. The fact that he has not only been open to that but has also really taken it to heart and produced real basketball results from it demonstrates some real maturation on Melo's part, which has also helped the basketball IQ side of his game. (If that's something that can improve, which I think it can).

To me what killed Melo was the fight in New York and where he was suspended for 15 games. Up until then that year he and Lebron were pretty much the same. After that though, Lebron took off.

I think there's truth to that, too - that combined with the other major event that happened at the same time, which was the AI acquisition. I wouldn't go so far as to say Melo would exactly be on the same level as LBJ and Wade right now if those two things hadn't happened, but I do believe he would not have fallen nearly as far behind.

[/B]I don't see Melo as the leader of that team-Billups is who makes that team run and leads them through the wins.

And there's definitely some truth to that, too, but it's an interesting dynamic. I think it was Nuggets commentator Scott Hastings who said something like, "Chauncey is the leader of the Nuggets, but the Pepsi Center is Melo's house." Billups is definitely the true captain of the team now, their guide and sage and teacher. But Melo remains the face, the identity, and ultimately, I think he's the one who sets the tone for the rest of the team. He's the barometer that determines which way the crew goes. K-Mart and Billups were definitely going to try to set a new defensive tone this season under Karl's new coaching emphasis. But the reason that, for example, J.R. Smith bought into it, and probably some of the other players on the team bought into it and believed they could do it, was because Melo did. And I'd also just add that now he's actually starting to look like a genuine leader on the court, by example of his basketball as well as by his communication and increased maturity. He's still not Chauncey's equal on the leadership front (and probably never will be - Billups is a very rare breed in that way), but he's much closer to it now than he was, say, at the beginning of the season.

DenButsu
04-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Damn you, IBleedPurple, you took my idea and did it first! :box:

:laugh2:

albertc86
04-30-2009, 08:13 PM
He's never been a superstar, IMO. What exactly has he proven? Absolutely nothing.

DenButsu
04-30-2009, 08:18 PM
He's never been a superstar, IMO. What exactly has he proven?

More than T-Mac? :shrug:

SwaggaIke
04-30-2009, 08:32 PM
I think Chauncey is the best thing to happen to Melo. I applaud him for taking his game to the next level by striving to be more well rounded. He's had GREAT rebounding games this year and GREAT passing games. In the past you knew Melo could go off for 40 any night, but would he impact the game in other ways? He's proven this year that just because he may have only scored 16 points doesn't mean he didn't impact the game. He's still young as hell and he's clearly on his way to that next level by becoming a WINNER first.

skinsfan4life80
04-30-2009, 08:43 PM
He's never been a superstar, IMO. What exactly has he proven? Absolutely nothing.
Please tell me who your super stars are.

kswissdaf
04-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Please tell me who your super stars are.

i no u werent askin me but

Wade
Kobe
Dwight
CP3
Lebron

IMO u got to be a top 5 player to be a superstar

dee279
04-30-2009, 08:50 PM

Depending on the position he plays i would pick Durant before i would pick Carmelo just because i see Durant being a Double Double guy in the future. He is an automatic Scorer from anywhere and if he gets better defensively he could turn out to be one of the top 3 players in the league. I would therefore say Carmelo is arguably the 3rd best small forward in the league because Paul Pierce has not retired yet and he is a great player.

kswissdaf
04-30-2009, 08:52 PM
BTW i think melo's D is underrated but his offensive game is overrated

skinsfan4life80
04-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Melo is just as good on defense as Howard is on Ofense. Howards offense is limited at best. How can you say Durrant is better then Melo he plays no defense either..and all he does it but up lots of points in blow out loses. He makes no one on his team better never has. He didnt win in college and he isnt winning in the NBA. Melo won a title in college and took his team to the playoff in his rookie year after the team was terriable the year before. Come on now your just throwing anything out there now got to do more then score meaning less points to be top 3.

Ray_R
04-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Overshadowed by Dwade and LBJ i see him up there next year i thinks hes going to the final i think The nuggets are underrated

Rocco007
04-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Melo's biggest deficiency is his personality..By design or by nature, He's limited himself..He's unable to connect with the mainstream media on a broad stage which effects his marketability..

I still would choose him over Durant..He has a more well rounded game..Durant falls in love with his jumpshot too often...

skinsfan4life80
04-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Melo has already avg 29 points a game on a playoff team..sorry im not ready to call a guy scoring 25 a night on a 20 win team better then him. If Melo played on the Thunder he would score 35 a night and they could lose every night too.

NYstateofMinD
04-30-2009, 09:10 PM
I agree he is the second best SF. One on one he is one of the best, and he requires a double team in the post. His passing, defense, and rebounding have gotten better. Just remember he's been injured all season long, and therefore his game has been altered a bit, but he has even more of an impact then he's ever had in the past. Even though I don't like him for the Knicks fight ( seemed like a p*$$* to me for running) he still is a great talent.

TheCooLKid2020
04-30-2009, 09:12 PM
The only Stars in this league are Lebron and Kobe.... THat's all the NBA cares about and the media.... I Feel the Nba has many Stars but They only Care about Lebron Mostly and Kobe to a lesser extent

skinsfan4life80
04-30-2009, 09:27 PM
The only Stars in this league are Lebron and Kobe.... THat's all the NBA cares about and the media.... I Feel the Nba has many Stars but They only Care about Lebron Mostly and Kobe to a lesser extent

Aint that the truth..Love them some Lebron

NBA-FAN4EVER
05-01-2009, 02:10 AM
Melo is not a superstar/franchise player. He's an all star of the same the same type as Bosh. Melo is also too one dimensional. What does he bring to the table when he's not scoring?

DenButsu
05-01-2009, 02:17 AM
Melo is not a superstar/franchise player. He's an all star of the same the same type as Bosh. Melo is also too one dimensional. What does he bring to the table when he's not scoring?

Said by someone who obviously did not watch even a single one of the last 30 Nuggets games.

abe_froman
05-01-2009, 02:24 AM
ahh melo one of my fav players

Chronz
05-01-2009, 03:13 AM
More than T-Mac? :shrug:

LOL heavens no

superkegger
05-01-2009, 04:00 AM
Depending on the position he plays i would pick Durant before i would pick Carmelo just because i see Durant being a Double Double guy in the future. He is an automatic Scorer from anywhere and if he gets better defensively he could turn out to be one of the top 3 players in the league. I would therefore say Carmelo is arguably the 3rd best small forward in the league because Paul Pierce has not retired yet and he is a great player.

Durant faces the same fate guys like Al Jeff do, no doubt they're hella talented players, but until you put up great numbers on a winner, it makes those stats kind of hollow. He's already become a better defender, and is also and underrated playmaker, two things Durant at this point struggles with.

Said by someone who obviously did not watch even a single one of the last 30 Nuggets games.

Clearly. The fact that Melo had over 5 assists per game this series shows he's clearly more than just a scorer. He had a fantastic series, putting up 25ppg, 5apg and 6rpg and had an outstanding 93 defensive rating shows he's more than just a scorer.

DenButsu
05-01-2009, 04:27 AM
LOL heavens no

:laugh2: I actually thought you would flag that one, Chronz. (We've discussed Melo before in terms of whether he could become as good as T-Mac). But to my credit, I think I at least deserve some bonus points for making a witty jab at that remark.

And in one sense at least - postseason success - it now has some truth to it.

skinsfan4life80
05-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Its funny how people can say one thing about one player then change there whole scale for another. Melo is not a superstar he has never won anything...but Howard, Roy, and Durrant are superstars..lol..all that winning they have done..cant forget Chris Paul and that winning he has done too. Or Melo doesnt play any defense so he cant be a superstar..but Steve Nash and Dirk are superstars. He doesnt have that killer instinic like Durant..lol..come on dude has won 43 games combinded in two years..who is he killing..more like he is getting killed daily. Melos team won 45 games his rookie year.Or he is not big time like Paul Pierce..it took Pierce 20 years and two hall of fammers to win anything.

TheDiggler
05-01-2009, 12:05 PM
So, I don't forgot him ... ;) Maybe the media did. After Iverson left, that two guys that looked so similar were divided. Because of Iverson leaving, I think a bit of media attention is gone. Which is good.

I think it's good for Melo's play, if he's not that hyped or doens't get that pressure. We all know what he can do, and he fills his role on the actual Nuggets very well. So, what do you want more ? He's still young.

skinsfan4life80
05-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Melo is going to have a better career then TMAC. Tmac has never won anything..Melo showed he can win