PDA

View Full Version : Spanish NT: Pau will play in the EuroBasket

JWalk126
04-29-2009, 06:46 PM
decided it was needed

Finger Surgery Sidelines Calderon For At Least Six Weeks
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_nQgljyfkHp6bZuYXuJArV0.container_frontpage.ar ticleMode_on.html) (Click for Complete article)

When Jose Calderon runs onto the floor in Warsaw this summer, he and Spain will resume their quest for the gold medal that has so far eluded them in EuroBaskets.

Right now, the Toronto Raptors point guard has to sit tight and relax after having an operation on the ring finger of his left hand.

JWalk126
05-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_-rwr9HMOG6gZlpZcVNGgj0.articleMode_on.container_fro ntpage.html)

Anyone wondering if Rudy Fernandez might have second thoughts about representing Spain this summer after an incredibly long stretch of competition should know better.

The 2006 FIBA Europe Player of the Year is nearing the end of his rookie campaign in the NBA with the Portland Trail Blazers, who trail Houston 3-2 in their best-of-seven first-round play-off series in the Western Conference.

Fernandez has been going full throttle for several years, with the past 18 months his busiest stretch.

While Pau Gasol of the Los Angeles Lakers has yet to announce if he will play for Spain in Poland, Fernandez said: "At no time have I considered not going to the EuroBasket with the Spain. My aim is to be at the disposal of the coach."

"It is an honor and gives me pride to defend the national team colors in whichever international tournament."

After being voted MVP of the ULEB Cup in 2008 and playing for DKV in the ACB post-season, Fernandez joined Spain and helped them reach the gold-medal game of the Beijing Olympics. He then left for for Portland to begin his career in North America.

Portland have spoken to Fernandez about their wishes, he revealed.

"My team told me to rest but I will have time to do that in the summer," Fernandez said.

"I have a back problem and I will need a rest once the season is over in order to recover 100%."

JWalk126
05-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Rudy Heads To Poland Against Portland's Wishes
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_wwyK3jSXHycX46ZiK8EGa2.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html)

Spain's Rudy Fernandez has revealed that the Portland Trail Blazers want him to rest this summer instead of representing his country at the EuroBasket in Poland.

The 24-year-old just completed his rookie season in the NBA and helped the Blazers reach the play-offs.

"If I am now in the NBA, it's also thanks to the national team," Fernandez said.

"Portland wanted me to rest and would prefer for me not to compete this summer.

"Perhaps they will not be happy and I understand, it's normal, but my commitment to the national team is 100% and they have to accept it."

Spain may not have Pau Gasol of the Los Angeles Lakers in the line-up when they go to Poland, however, with the seven-footer delaying the decision on his availability until after the NBA post-season with LA.

"Pau is a reference point in this team but our strength is that we are a block, a team, a group of friends," Fernandez said.

"If Pau cannot come one day, we will lose a reference point but there are other players that will come to the team and we will continue to compete against the best."

Fernandez was the 2006 FIBA Europe Young Player of the Year.

Spain, who finished runners-up at EuroBasket 2007 to Russia and last year lost to Team USA in the gold-medal game at the Olympics, will this summer take on Serbia, Slovenia and Great Britain in the Preliminary Round.

JWalk126
05-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Calderon Out for EuroBasket
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_KrRXIWMsGVIvEJk04BTip1.container_frontpage.ar ticleMode_on.html)

Spain's celebrations over winning the race to host the 2014 FIBA World Championship have been cut short following the announcement by Jose Manuel Calderon that he will not play at this summer's EuroBasket.

Spain's starting point guard is just 27 years old but he has been struggling with injuries since getting hurt in last year's Olympic Quarter-Final triumph over Croatia.

He wasn't able to play in the Semi-Final win over Lithuania or in the gold-medal game defeat to the United States, and this season he coped with very knocks while playing for the Toronto Raptors.

Calderon even underwent a finger operation after the Raptors' NBA campaign.

"I will not play in September at the EuroBasket in Poland," Calderon said.

"Itīs impossible. It has been a very difficult decision. But I have to rest a lot."

The finger problem required Calderon to wear a cast.

"They have taken away the cast and now I am beginning my rehabilitation," he said.

"In three weeks, I will be able to use the ball and then there will be another three weeks before I can begin to train.

"In other words, a few months. Moreover, in my leg I have a six centimeter mark that doesnīt allow me to feel comfortable."

Calderon was on his way to MVP honors at EuroBasket 2007 in Spain before the hosts were upset by Russia in the Final. He was voted to the all-tournament team.

"If it were a World Championship or the Olympics, I still wouldnīt be able to go," Calderon said.

"My head and my heart ask me to play but my body says enough. If I donīt stop, this could become chronic."

Spain's fans are also fearful that Los Angeles Lakers superstar Pau Gasol will choose not to play this summer since this is the second straight year that his NBA club has lasted deep into the play-offs. Gasol will not make that decision until after LA's season.

The good news for Spain is that the national team has as much depth at point guard as any country in Europe with Ricky Rubio, Carlos Cabezas, Raul Lopez, Sergio Rodriguez and Victor Sada.

Cabezas, Rodriguez and Sada were not in last year's squad.

There were so many options in the backcourt last summer for Spain, in fact, that national team coach Aito Garcia Reneses had a hard time finding playing time for the guards.

Calderon's absence should guarantee more minutes for Juan Carlos Navarro as well.

Navarro, this season's Euroleague MVP with Barcelona, spent a lot of time on the bench at the Beijing Games.

"I still havenīt gotten used to the idea but it will be difficult to experience the EuroBasket from the outside," Calderon said. He has played at the last three EuroBaskets.

"I will support the national team until the end and I will be the number one fan," he said.

"Spain can aspire to everything, regardless of who plays. I hope they bring the gold medal home, something which we are missing. We will continue to be the favorites."

Spain are in the same EuroBasket group as Serbia, Slovenia and Great Britain.

They will need to have a top six finish to earn a spot at the 2010 FIBA World Championship where hosts Turkey and Olympic gold medalists Team USA have already guaranteed spots.

Hellcrooner
05-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Im nto talking bout winning, thats basicaly impossible, but will we make it to the top 4 in euro championship?

Confirmed NO SHOWS , PAU, CALDERON, NAVARRO and Retired JIMENEZ.

So basically 4/5 of our world championship winning team starting unit is out and there are doubts about Rudy Fernandez.

Our possible 12 man would be

Starters : Rubio, Rudy, Garbajosa, Reyes, Marc Gasol

first bench: SERGIO RODRIGUEZ, SERGI LLUL,Mumbru, CLAVER, FRAN VAZQUEZ

Fillers: Raul Lopez, Berni rodriguez.

Thats 4 new faces that werent in Beijing at least there are other new canidates as Sada for example.

Can this team do anythign remarkable?

HAve we got too acostumed to good things and now we must suffer?

JWalk126
05-27-2009, 01:51 AM
there is a Spain Thread for a reason

Becks2307
05-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Well Marc Gasol should be alot better, but who is your major competition ?

JWalk126
05-28-2009, 02:04 PM
in the Group Stage they have Serbia, Slovenia and Great Britain

lakers4sho
06-08-2009, 10:04 AM
viva Espaņa!!!

I haven't been posting here in a while :D

JWalk126
06-16-2009, 08:10 PM
The Pau Gasol waiting game for Spain’s Scariolo
Source: FIBA
(http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30541/arti.html)
MADRID (EuroBasket 2009) – Marc Gasol will play at the EuroBasket in Poland and Spain coach Sergio Scariolo remains hopeful that his older brother Pau will as well.

The European giants need to qualify for the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey and they are already going to be missing Jose Calderon with the Toronto point guard recovering from various knocks.

Pau Gasol, who is competing in his second straight NBA Finals with the Los Angeles Lakers, recently admitted the need to be selective when it comes to playing for the national team because of the wear and tear on his body.

Scariolo said to the FEB: "We are talking about possibly the biggest factor in the group.

"To have him (Pau) available would be important. Not to have him would be a great loss but we can't stop and cry too much because we would have to be more united as a group and try to find solutions.”

Spain will take on Serbia, Slovenia and Great Britain in group play at the EuroBasket and the absence of Pau Gasol would certainly make things more complicated.

"I don't want to talk about Pau's loss because I think about the possibility that he will be there," Scariolo said. "Pau has not yet taken a decision.

“He is evaluating it with a lot of seriousness and interest at the possibility of being there. I prefer to think positively at to what he could bring to the team."

lakers4sho
06-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I don't think Pau should play, at least in the qualifiers. He's played too many games already ever since he came to the Lakers. I believe he played in 80 games this season, plus the Olympics, so that will take a toll on his body.

Spain is good enough to make it past the qualifiers anyways.

cormacraig
06-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Gasol confirmed earlier this week on Jimmy Kimmel Live (http://www.blitzcorner.com/NBA/The-Lakers-on-Jimmy-Kimmel-Live) that he will play in Poland.
Even so, Spain still missing some key players. How about Rudy? is he 100% participating?

lakers4sho
06-22-2009, 03:19 PM
I believe he is already in Poland but is still doubtful.

JWalk126
06-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_HIxbU-hLJzw8PHFZeDL103.container_frontpage.articleMode_o n.html)

Pau Gasol has given a strong indication that he will play for Spain at the EuroBasket in Poland.

The recently-crowned NBA champion of the Los Angeles Lakers wanted to assess his physical condition and talk to the Lakers before making a decision about the EuroBasket.

"I have finished physically much better than last year, and that is a favorable factor," Gasol said to Antena 3 TV.

"Surprisingly, the Lakers have not put any impediments for me to be with my national team.

"Gold at the EuroBasket is something that I want, that I will go for and this year it would be a good opportunity to achieve that."

Spain are due to announce their preliminary squad for the EuroBasket on June 29.

Gasol was the MVP of the 2006 FIBA World Championship, with Spain capturing the gold medal that year.

He led his teammates to silver at the EuroBasket in Spain in 2007 and last year at the Olympics.

lakers4sho
06-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Hopefully he doesn't choke again this time around.

JWalk126
06-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Pau Gasol Named In Spain's EuroBasket Squad
Source: EuroBasket2009 (http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/coid_JLFSFi2ZGY6qDp-xPGG,73.articleMode_on.html)

Spain on Monday named Pau Gasol in their 12-man EuroBasket squad but revealed the Los Angeles Lakers' seven-footer is not yet a certainty to play in Poland.
Gasol just won an NBA title for the first time with the Lakers and then indicated his desire to play for the world champions.
He was included in new coach Sergio Scariolo's squad at an announcement ceremony in Madrid along with most of the veterans who have represented the country for the past several years.
"We hope that Pau can confirm this week that he will be available to play," said Spanish Basketball Federation president Jose Luis Saez.
"There are some minor details yet to resolve."
"In the case of Pau, never had we considered that Pau would not come," Scariolo said.
"Pau is extremely important for the national team. We hope that he will communicate as soon as possible his availability."
Scariolo has also included DKV Joventut point guard Ricky Rubio and addressed the extremely difficult month the 18-year-old has had with respect to his potential move to the NBA.
Rubio's representatives and family have been unsuccessful in their attempt to get DKV to lower the player's buyout clause, which means he is likely to remain in Spain for one or two more seasons.
The teenager who made his senior team debut last year at the Olympics was chosen fifth overall in the NBA Draft last Thursday by the Minnesota Timberwolves.
"What has happened to Ricky in recent weeks obviously would have distracted anyone," Scariolo said.
"We hope it will not last too long. But everyone tells me that if there is a person that can deal with this with calmness, it is Ricky.
"We hope that all will be resolved before we meet on July 30th."
A sweet summer got even better for Pamesa Valencia's Victor Claver, the 20-year-old selected 22nd overall in last week's draft by Portland.

Claver missed most of last season with a knee injury but returned for the end of the campaign.
"He has a lot of potential and he's ready," Scariolo said.
Carlos Cabezas missed last year's Olympics but has returned to the national team under his former coach at Unicaja Malaga, Scariolo.
He likely benefitted by Jose Calderon's unavailability, with the Toronto Raptors guard forced to rest after an injury-plagued campaign in the NBA.
Rudy Fernandez, Jorge Garbajosa, Marc Gasol, Raul Lopez, Alex Mumbru, Juan Carlos Navarro, Felipe Reyes and Berni Rodriguez are all in the squad.
Saul Blanco of Fuenlabrada, Sergio Llull of Real Madrid and Guillem Rubio Ricoh Manresa have been invited to work out with Spain during their preparations.
Llull was a second-round pick of Denver and then had his rights traded to Houston.
Another former player of Scariolo's at Unicaja, Fran Vazquez, did not make himself available for selection.
Vazquez had a strong campaign with Barcelona and helped them win the ACB title.
"Fran Vazquez has not given his availability for personal reasons," Scariolo said, before commenting on Jose Calderon.
"The Jose Calderon injury has made it more difficult for us to get a replacement. Jose is a player of high level. This year it hasn't been possible but I hope in the future both Fran and Jose will have a place in the national team."
Point guard Sergio Rodriguez, a member of Spain's world-title winning side in 2006, was left out of the squad for the second straight year. Rodriguez has had a couple of disappointing years in the NBA and was this summer traded from Portland to Sacramento.
Spain also announced their friendly schedule.
In Las Palmas on August 14, Spain will go up against Cuba.
They will then fly to Madrid for friendlies against Lithuania, Slovenia and Great Britain (August 19, 20 and 21).
In Zaragoza on August 26 and 27, the Spanish will face Israel and Poland before wrapping up their preparations with friendly games against Iran and Lithuania in Vilnius.
They will then travel to Poland for the EuroBasket and play in Group C in Warsaw against Serbia, Slovenia and Great Britain

JWalk126
06-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Rudy: Gold or Bust
Source: EuroBasket2009 (http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/coid_fxiii7JfHJ-M5s-jWxV5e1.articleMode_on.html)

Rudy Fernandez admits he and his Spanish teammates will travel to Poland for the EuroBasket later this year desperate to make up for their near miss in the title game two years ago in Madrid.
Fresh off their gold-medal win at the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Japan, Spain lost to Russia in the European Championship game after Russia point guard JR Holden hit a jump shot in the waning seconds.
"We are going to Poland with the aim of winning the gold medal," Fernandez said.
"It's a desired gold for everyone, especially as it would allow us to take that bitterness of two years ago when we lost against Russia in the final in Madrid."
New Spain coach Sergio Scariolo is due to announce his preliminary Spain squad for the EuroBasket on June 29.
"We have two important absences, with Jose Manuel Calderon (recuperating from injuries) and Carlos Jimenez (retired from national team), but we will all try to contribute in order to overcome those absences," Fernandez said.
It is also still unclear if Pau Gasol of the Los Angeles Lakers will play, though recent comments by the superstar indicate he wants to be in the squad.
"I hope and wish that Pau will be in Poland with us," Fernandez said.
"But he is not a machine. Pau always wants to play for the national team but perhaps physically, he may not be able to. I know from experience, and after 82 games of the (NBA) regular season, what that's like. And Pau has also played the play-offs."

JWalk126
07-08-2009, 02:25 AM
Thumbs-Up For Pau Gasol To Play At EuroBasket
Source:EuroBasket 2009 (http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/coid_J3F95vAkGGs9qVDb1N6bK0.articleMode_on.html)

Gold is already in the bag from the 2006 FIBA World Championship and so is an NBA title after his recent run through the play-offs with the Los Angeles Lakers.
Now Spanish basketball icon Pau Gasol has finally confirmed he will play at the EuroBasket in Poland in September, saying the opportunity to help Spain win their first European Championship was too good to pass up.
Gasol held talks on Thursday with the Lakers, the Spanish Basketball Federation and new Spain coach Sergio Scariolo and decided to go for gold.
"I wanted to talk to Scariolo because he is crucial to this project," Gasol said.
"At every step, Scariolo has been enthusiastic about my presence. We are all enthusiastic at having a great tournament."
Gasol emphasized, however, that success is not guaranteed - even for Spain who face hard Group C games against Serbia, Great Britain and Slovenia in Warsaw.
"The EuroBasket is very competitive, more than the World Championship," he said.
"All the European teams are good and we cannot relax in any game. No one is going to give us anything for free.
"We are enthusiastic with the team we have but we cannot come out with the mentality that we will reach the final because we are very good. From the first day, we have to work and believe in our possibilities to give our best."
The appearance of Gasol in Poland means the competition gains one of the biggest names in basketball and probably makes Spain, runners-up at home two years ago against Russia and silver medalists at the Olympics, favorites for the title.
Scariolo said in the statement on the Spanish Basketball Federation website: "Pau will be at the EuroBasket of Poland and this is the most important thing. It's a satisfaction to know Pau's desire to compete despite the tiredness and physical problems that one can gather after a hard season as he has had in the NBA.
"During the month of July, we will establish contact with the professionals that take care of Pau's health. The Lakers and our team will design the regimen and the program for Pau and then let him join the national team with us thinking of the best for the player."