PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats have a shot at signing McDyess?

king4day
04-28-2009, 09:35 AM
This one is a longshot, but some of you seem to prefer longshots:

I wonder if the Bobcats would have a shot at signing unrestricted free agent Antonio McDyess (at right, MCT photo) this summer.

McDyess expressed great disappointment with his Detroit Pistons being swept by the Cleveland Cavaliers. He said that disappointment could affect whether he chooses to re-sign with the Pistons.

At 34, McDyess would logically be looking for a sure contender if he leaves the Pistons. But if there's an X factor in this, something that could keep the Bobcats in contention for McDyess, it would be his warm relationship with coach Larry Brown. Those two were so close when Brown coached Detroit that other Pistons would tease Brown that McDyess was his son.

While McDyess ultimately re-signed with the Pistons, after getting his buyout from the Denver Nuggets (it was a by-product of the Chauncey Billups-Allen Iverson trade), McDyess at least considered the Bobcats.

Obviously the Bobcats need a backup to power forward Boris Diaw. Despite his 6-10 height, it's apparent Vladimir Radmanovic is more comfortable playing small forward.

McDyess can still play and he'd definitely help. The question becomes what the Bobcats would have to do to compete for his services. That would probably mean offering the mid-level exception (an annual salary well in excess of $5 million). Could the Bobcats justify that when they also face re-signing Raymond Felton and paying for a lottery pick?

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2009/04/bobcats-have-a-shot-a-signing-mcdyess.html

Maybe a 2 year deal at mid-level. Buy out Nazr.
That'd sure up the PF position.

masalex1205
04-28-2009, 10:19 AM
I like this and feel that he would be a good fit. But I would be uncomfortable w/ signing him for more than two years. Heck more than one year makes me a little uncomfortable, especially for 5+ million a year. Not sure if he is worth that much. With the economy how it is I would be more attracted to a 3.5 or 4 figure.

If we signed McDyess, signed Felton to an extension, and attempted to buyout Nazr then we would could possibly be flirting with the luxury tax which is an absolute no for Bob Johnson. This is without signing anybody else. It's going to be tricky to say the least.

This is based on the assumption that the complete amount of the buyout counts toward the salary cap/luxury tax. Does anyone know if this is the case?

DerekRE_3
04-28-2009, 01:01 PM
My dream Bobcats offseason would be this:
1) Re-Sign Raymond Felton
2) Draft a SG with our lottery pick
3) Sign McDyess to the MLE

I doubt our FO spends that much money though between the MLE for McDyess, the rookie contract, and what Felton is going to command but one can dream.