PDA

View Full Version : Could the Chauncey-Melo Combo Develop Into Something Special?

DenButsu
04-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Could the Chauncey-Melo Combo Develop Into Something Special? (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/blog.php?b=239)

---------------------------

^^^My latest blog entry.

Sorry, it's really, really, really long.

If nothing else, it at least is probably some strange-*** writing about the NBA that you won't usually see anywhere else... a denbutsu special :smoking:

BlondeBomber41
04-28-2009, 08:38 AM
If Billups was younger than I could see it, but what they are now is pretty much all they can be. I mean alot of people thought Billups was slowing down last year, I wouldnt expect a long run with the duo. I think they are hoping to get 2-3 good years out of it.

JordansBulls
04-28-2009, 08:49 AM
They could win the title this year as long as Nene is playing well.

DenButsu
04-28-2009, 09:07 AM
If Billups was younger than I could see it, but what they are now is pretty much all they can be. I mean alot of people thought Billups was slowing down last year, I wouldnt expect a long run with the duo. I think they are hoping to get 2-3 good years out of it.

I see it differently.

You should know about when Steve Nash started to really heat up, how old he was. Billups is not a player who relies on speed and agility. He's found new life with the Nuggets, and a rejuvenation of his career.

DenButsu
04-28-2009, 09:09 AM
But I will say this, BB41: I do look forward to playing the Mavs in the next round. We're hungry - and better.

PennyMy#1
04-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Nice blog entry ! Enjoyed reading ...
I don't want to compete with you in written words ;) so, I'll make it short.

I would say, Chauncey is what Melo needed a long time. An on-court-leader. Billups to me, is one of the very rare guys that turn rosters into teams. I'm so impressed by him and admire his abillities as a leader that I had to call him MVP-candidate. Deserved, in my opinion. But, unfortunately he's not getting any younger, so it's a bit unlikely to me that Chauncey and Melo could turn into something like the Stockalone for several years. I think Billups is wanted to end his career in Denver (which would be great) and Melo has no reason to leave that nice and successful squad. So, all in all I would say:

For mid-term they could build up a deadly tandem, that will have a few very successful years together if the guys around them work well.

KiNgSuNs1
04-28-2009, 09:53 AM
agreeeeeeee x2

king4day
04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
This years playoffs should tell us what they will be able to do.
If they get to the WCF and really give LA a run for their money or even beat them, then absolutely it's special. But if the Lakers blast them, then they probably need to make another move somewhere. The tadem is certainly special, but so was Tmac and Yao. The rest of the team is what matters.
Maybe bring in Sheed in the offseason?

DrDEADalready
04-28-2009, 10:35 AM
No

Kabowdos
04-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Aren't they already something special? WTF? Go from 8th seed to 2nd seed in one season in the best conference in the NBA?

Thread closed, this is obvious, they are something special DUH!

what54!?
04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
This years playoffs should tell us what they will be able to do.
If they get to the WCF and really give LA a run for their money or even beat them, then absolutely it's special. But if the Lakers blast them, then they probably need to make another move somewhere. The tadem is certainly special, but so was Tmac and Yao. The rest of the team is what matters.
Maybe bring in Sheed in the offseason?yeah but they can get out of the first round. time will tell if melo and billups will be speical. That depends if they get to the WCF and give the lakers a run for their money or get them

The Blue Baller
04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
What they have together... the bond between them... it has already developed into something very special.
You guys can say it'll only last for a few years, but I think it can last forever.

nycericanguy
04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
guys like Nash and Billups were such late bloomers. Any team could have had either player in their "prime early years" as they were both traded around. Nice stories though, I think Nash has more of a shelf life just because he is thinner and still very quick and never did rely on althelitic ability that much. But i do think Chauncey has a good 3-4 years left.

DenButsu
04-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Aren't they already something special? WTF? Go from 8th seed to 2nd seed in one season in the best conference in the NBA?

I understand your point, and I agree to a certain extent.

But the main thing that stands out for me is how Chauncey is changing Melo.

And the secondary thing that stands out for me is how Chauncey is re-energizing his whole career by going back to Denver.

So while the success they've alrealy achieved so far is obvious and evident, and you're right about that, I'd still say we're seeing the beginning or middle of a progression, and we haven't seen the end of it yet.

LA_Raiders
04-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Not with the Lakers in front of them...

DenButsu
04-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Not with the Lakers in front of them...

:yawn: Lakers fans... always thinking it's always about them...

WTF does that have to do w/ it?!?

DerekRE_3
04-28-2009, 01:13 PM
:yawn: Lakers fans... always thinking it's always about them...

WTF does that have to do w/ it?!?

It doesn't and great blog article Den. I think Chauncey has a lot left in the tank, and since his game doesn't rely on athleticism, his intelligence and leadership on the floor will keep him playing at a high level. I've really enjoyed watching the Nuggets so far this playoffs. They play defense, they rebound, and they play team basketball. Teams like the Nuggets that can do all of that always have a shot to contend in the playoffs. George Karl also deserves a lot of credit, last year there were people calling for his head.

nycericanguy
04-28-2009, 01:22 PM

they've played well together, i wouldnt call it something special. They havent even gotten out of the first round yet so lets not get carried away. And the west was so tightly bunched together that 2 - 8 seeds didnt have that much of a difference in record so i wouldnt read into that TOO much. they could have very easily finished 4-6.

Kabowdos
04-28-2009, 02:09 PM
they've played well together, i wouldnt call it something special. They havent even gotten out of the first round yet so lets not get carried away. And the west was so tightly bunched together that 2 - 8 seeds didnt have that much of a difference in record so i wouldnt read into that TOO much. they could have very easily finished 4-6.

Nuggets are 36-14 (40-15 counting playoffs) since Chauncy. He is the reason for the Nuggets climbing into second place. They did get out of the first last night by crushing the NOH by 60 points. They are something special. 40-15 is special.

bahama0811
04-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Nuggets are 36-14 (40-15 counting playoffs) since Chauncy. He is the reason for the Nuggets climbing into second place. They did get out of the first last night by crushing the NOH by 60 points. They are something special. 40-15 is special.

Chauncey was traded to the Nuggets after the 3rd game of the regular season and didn't play in the 4th. Since Chauncey has been here the Nuggets are 53-25 (56-26 including playoffs).

superkegger
04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
I think they already proved they are something special. :shrug: I mean, the fact that they'll move out of the first round, for the first time in a long time, and the way they've played, I don't think they need to develop into anything special, they already are special.

Rome
04-28-2009, 02:54 PM
I think they already proved they are something special. :shrug: I mean, the fact that they'll move out of the first round, for the first time in a long time, and the way they've played, I don't think they need to develop into anything special, they already are special.

Yea. How special do you want them to be?

superkegger
04-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Yea. How special do you want them to be?

what do you mean?

TragicallyHip
04-28-2009, 03:10 PM
They're no Stockton-Malone, Shaq-Kobe, Magic-Kareem if that's what you're asking.

Chronz
04-28-2009, 03:27 PM
People have different expectations, to accomplish something special could be as easy as making the Conference Finals, or to others like myself maintaining a high level of play together for years to come and continuously upping their games in the playoffs is special(er). Great read by the way, its the great wake and bake literature Ive come to enjoy starting my day off with. Anyways it got me thinking, how long should we expect Billups to dominate? Both Cuban and Dumars made the mistake of overestimating the age of their stud PG's and the cost to keep them. Both took their MVP impact elsewhere and their teams prospered like never before.

So how long does he last? What kind of trajectory does his career follow.

As for Melo doing any sort of warping, Id imagine he does his fair share but how significant, like to be on Yao's level it would have to be every possession of the game. The Nuggets have a balanced attack, but the Rockets have 1 player who completely dictates who gets that shot. Maybe not every possession but when they play at their best and how theyve been playing against Portland for the most part, its how they win. Nate is so scared of Yao going off again that he doesnt play his best offensive lineup. People complain about Yao not getting shots, but they arent always warranted. His lack of shots usually means a layup for one of his teammates, or very high% midrange jumper for Scolandry.

PS Whats your take on Melo's sudden burst of assist totals, hes basically on par with Chauncey in most apbr marks. Seems like everyone on the team is getting in on it too, signs of great ball movement or bad defense?

JabberJaw
04-28-2009, 03:47 PM
The Nuggets are no joke! I think they already are something special though. They finished with the #2 seed in the West. I'm not sure if I agree with people thinking that they can beat the Lakers though. I mean, anyone can be beaten, but they just don't match up well across the board. Lakers have players that can guard any one of their guys (Ariza or Kobe on Melo or Billups), where as nobody on Denver can guard Kobe, Odom, Pau or Bynum. I am a Lakers fan, and I would say that Denver scares me more than any team in the West, but I just can't see the Lakers being beaten by a team with no true bigs. If Denver can keep this team in tact and get a true big (Bosh, Stoudamire, etc..) this team could be a beast for years to come. Billups can play at this level for a while. He doesnt rely on athleticism.

nycericanguy
04-28-2009, 03:47 PM

i guess it depends on what u call special. the 90's bulls and yankees were special.

i would hardly call a 2 seed in the west special, and they didnt win the series yet, they are up 3-1. its a best of seven.

JordansBulls
04-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Does anyone think the Nuggets would be better with Camby now as well? Like a Nene and Camby frontcourt instead?

TragicallyHip
04-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Camby could block some shots, I wouldn't be surprised.

nycericanguy
04-28-2009, 06:22 PM
yea camby would definitely help, he was the catalyst in teh 8th seeded knicks run to the finals.

Spurred1
04-28-2009, 06:22 PM
I already thought they had turned into something special-hell, Billups turned that whole squad into something special-I really wondered how many people thought they would improve this much from last year. Denver really just needed a leader to pull the group together. And this isn't a knock on Carmelo-he just isn't leadership material.
Which leads me to wonder how many franchise players are truly leadership material?

Chronz
04-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Does anyone think the Nuggets would be better with Camby now as well? Like a Nene and Camby frontcourt instead?

You know I used to think they did but they already have the birdman for that, really nothing left for Camby to provide.

IBleedPurple
04-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Lakers have players that can guard any one of their guys (Ariza or Kobe on Melo or Billups), where as nobody on Denver can guard Kobe, Odom, Pau or Bynum.

I am a Lakers fan, and I would say that Denver scares me more than any team in the West, but I just can't see the Lakers being beaten by a team with no true bigs. If Denver can keep this team in tact and get a true big (Bosh, Stoudamire, etc..) this team could be a beast for years to come. Billups can play at this level for a while. He doesnt rely on athleticism.

Dahntay Jones would be guarding Kobe. He is a very good defender, the same height as Kobe, and if you don't believe me, look at CP3's stats for this series.

To say that Denver does not have a big man is a joke. Nene can play on the same level as Bynum, and Nene plays well against more physical centers.

We don't really have the ideal defense for the combo of Pau/Bynum. Possibly start Birdman and put him on Gasol, but we will see on that. Kmart is a sold defender, but slightly too short to step out on Gasol's outside shots.

AntwanN21
04-28-2009, 08:06 PM
I honestly think the nuggets are good enough to beat anyteam in the league right now. Should they get past the lakers in the WCF i strongly believe they can beat the cavs in a 7 game series IMO. Billups owns the pointguard battle over mo williams, of course lebron has the advantage over melo but If camby and Nene are playing their best ball i think they can take care of the cavs big men no problem. Plus with the bird man and J.R having larger roles that would be a really exciting series to watch.

Lakergirl24
04-28-2009, 09:32 PM
I think they already have developed into something special

BlondeBomber41
04-29-2009, 12:13 AM
But I will say this, BB41: I do look forward to playing the Mavs in the next round. We're hungry - and better.

We'll see about that. I doubt the Nuggets can possibly be hungrier than the Mavs, and winning 4 more games in the regular season doesnt exactly make them better. Especially considering the Mavs spent most of the season playing without either Jason Terry or Josh Howard.

bogmon
04-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Chauncey is like playoff MSG....he jus' sops up everybodies' flava and makes it extra potent and savory....

He has a knack to make everyone around him shine brighter and bring his game up to the next level for the second season...

If the Nugs make it to the West Finals vs. the Lakers (presumptive pick of course) We are all in for a treat as basketball fans...

it's been wonderful theater so far!

bogmon
04-29-2009, 01:14 AM
I honestly think the nuggets are good enough to beat anyteam in the league right now. Should they get past the lakers in the WCF i strongly believe they can beat the cavs in a 7 game series IMO. Billups owns the pointguard battle over mo williams, of course lebron has the advantage over melo but If camby and Nene are playing their best ball i think they can take care of the cavs big men no problem. Plus with the bird man and J.R having larger roles that would be a really exciting series to watch.

Ahem....in case you weren't paying attention for the last 5 months or so...Marcus Camby was dealt to the Clippers before the start of the regular season...

FAIL

DenButsu
04-29-2009, 01:26 AM
PS Whats your take on Melo's sudden burst of assist totals, hes basically on par with Chauncey in most apbr marks. Seems like everyone on the team is getting in on it too, signs of great ball movement or bad defense?

Well, I think it's a combination. I'm sure you saw Hollinger's dismantling (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090428) of the Hornets defense (which was almost even more devastating than what the Nuggets did). So keeping it real I do think it has to be acknowledged that, at least at times, a lack of resistance has facilitated things for Melo and his teammates. But what I find encouraging and hopeful is that Melo playing this way is exactly in response to being the focal point of the Hornets' defensive efforts. I don't think I've seen him even once engage in his old bad habit of putting his head down and plowing right into the defense and getting called for a charge. He's not forcing anything, really. He's put up a few questionable jumpers, but even those were well within the comfort zone of his range, and not taken when they were too closely contested. He's showing more awareness of the other four players than I think I've ever seen from him, and a newfound patience to create the offense in the spaces that the opposing defense has allowed them rather than (almost literally at times) running up against a brick wall. It's almost as if the mere presence of Billups has increased his basketball IQ through osmosis.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Josh Howard is defending him in the next series (assuming Denver closes the current one out, which I think is a near certainty at this point). It's pretty easy for Melo to abuse Peja, but that will be a new kind of pressure. I'm guessing that the Mavericks will have scouted this series and will try to D up Howard on Melo one-on-one so they can deny him the easy passing opportunities that come to him out of the double.

-------------------------------

On a different note, a lot of people have said, "They already are something special." I agree, and they have in fact already accomplished a lot (especially considering a lot of "experts" were predicting the Nuggets would not even make the playoffs).

But by "something special", one thing I mean in particular is that the dynamic of play on the court is that of a genuine "duo". It's interesting. The word "duo" was instantly applied to Melo-AI when Denver picked Iverson up, it stuck immediately and never left. But I honestly don't think I can recall a single writeup about Billups and Melo being a "duo". Why not? It's not as if Melo and Iverson worked more effectively together on the court as a team unit than Melo and Chauncey do (if anything, quite the opposite, in fact). So I guess part of what I was trying to do in asking the question in that way was just to re-frame the picture according to a differently nuanced perspective on it, with Melo and Billups being the central core duo that the team is built around, instead of with (as it is usually described) Billups as the extra added missing piece to an existing Nuggets team.

But the other key word is "develop". There's a reason why I'm asking this question now and not in November 2008 when the trade happened. And that reason is that what I'm seeing emerge in the playoffs is something different - and better - than what I was seeing in the regular season. It's like what they've been trying to work for all season long has culminated and clicked into place in these four games. And we all know Billups is the experienced postseason veteran who can almost automatically be expected to elevate his level of play once he gets there. But too often we've seen the opposite from Carmelo, that his postseason play falls short of what he had accomplished in the regular season. And it's that sort of thing that has led people to conclude and Melo isn't now, and never will be, a genuine superstar in this league. Now, I think it's still too soon to judge. There are more games to be played in these playoffs and we'll see what happens. But my sense is that Melo, with Billups' help, might finally be stepping across that line which separates the pretenders from the contenders. And if he really is, I think we could see something over the next 2-3 seasons that transcends the work-in-progress that this season was for Denver.

superkegger
04-29-2009, 01:39 AM
You know I used to think they did but they already have the birdman for that, really nothing left for Camby to provide.

He could take ill advised 18 foot jumpers....

But in seriousness, per 36 minutes they're pretty similar statistically. And Camby doesn't bring the energy and intensity that Birdman does. Doesn't fire up the crowd either. Birdman also does it for about 10 million less. Den called it at the begining of the season, and he was right, losing Camby didn't hurt, and there's really nothing he could bring that Birdman doesn't. Birdman might even be a better fit for this nuggets team.

DenButsu
04-29-2009, 01:52 AM
The one thing about Camby that Denver really could use more of, though, is rebounding. But yeah, I'll take the Birdman for sure (especially considering salaries).

AllTheWay
04-29-2009, 02:10 AM
Yes, they could turn into something very special, if you do not consider what they have done already 'special'

JordansBulls
04-29-2009, 05:22 PM
We'll see about that. I doubt the Nuggets can possibly be hungrier than the Mavs, and winning 4 more games in the regular season doesnt exactly make them better. Especially considering the Mavs spent most of the season playing without either Jason Terry or Josh Howard.

But Denver is the favorite. It doesn't mean they will win the series though.

superkegger
04-30-2009, 12:18 AM
But Denver is the favorite. It doesn't mean they will win the series though.

Thanks for that wonderfully deep insight.

BlondeBomber41
04-30-2009, 12:49 AM
Thanks for that wonderfully deep insight.

:laugh:

KobeIs
04-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Dahntay Jones would be guarding Kobe. He is a very good defender, the same height as Kobe, and if you don't believe me, look at CP3's stats for this series.

To say that Denver does not have a big man is a joke. Nene can play on the same level as Bynum, and Nene plays well against more physical centers.

We don't really have the ideal defense for the combo of Pau/Bynum. Possibly start Birdman and put him on Gasol, but we will see on that. Kmart is a sold defender, but slightly too short to step out on Gasol's outside shots.

good point. i really think if lakers and nuggets do face eachother, birdman will be the x factor. he always plays great against us and so does jr smith.

those are the only two guys that im worried about. cuz jr smith can pretty much turn it up anytime he wants and anderson is a great rebounder and shot blocker.