PDA

View Full Version : Official New Orleans Hornets Offseason/Trade Thread

Trouble87
04-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Official New Orleans Hornets Offseason/Trade Thread

Any offseason moves or trade ideas that revolve around the New Orleans Hornets need to be expressed here.

If you got offseason trade ideas feel free to share them and discuss!

Trouble87
04-28-2009, 04:30 AM
Ryan Bowen, Sean Marks, Devin Brown, Melvin Ely, and Anthony Tolliver contracts are all expiring at the end of this season who do you guys want to see in a Hornets uniform next year?

Would you resign any of the expiring?

Who would you bring in with those free roster spaces?

Would you use the MLE to sign a current or future free agent?

BIGBREED
04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
1.)NONE

2.)HELL NO!

3.)Ben Gordon or Trevor Ariza (if money available)
Since we're broke, look at: PG-Marcus Williams; SG-Richie Frahm; SF-Mickael Gelabale and Patrick Ewing Jr.(defense)

4.)Ben Gordon(if money available)

*Keep in mind, those released players only frees up $4,309,946(Hornets don't have money for next year)*

***FOR THE 2009 DRAFT(IMO for now bcuz its early)***

SG/SF - Chase Budinger(Arizona) or C - BJ Mullens(OHIO ST)

...and for a bonus answer

DAVID WEST is:
- soft/finesse
- don't hustle/lazy
- offensive Powerfoward only
- have mental lapse in key moments of games
- Back problems
- (you fill in the blank)

Becks2307
04-28-2009, 05:43 PM
you guys need to do some mini rebuilding...ship out either chandler or west and get millsap... you guys need a 2 guard really badly too

Trouble87
04-28-2009, 10:03 PM
1.)NONE

2.)HELL NO!

3.)Ben Gordon or Trevor Ariza (if money available)
Since we're broke, look at: PG-Marcus Williams; SG-Richie Frahm; SF-Mickael Gelabale and Patrick Ewing Jr.(defense)

4.)Ben Gordon(if money available)

*Keep in mind, those released players only frees up $4,309,946(Hornets don't have money for next year)*

Remember you guys have the MLE and there's always a possibility of a sign and trade.

More importantly that the money those released players free up is those roster spaces. Imagine getting some good unknown discovered young pieces

Yall are looking like your going to have the 21st overall pick in round one. Yall are projected to draft DeJaun Blair from Pitt

Maybe yall could trade down and get Dionte Christmas; he would be a beast with Chris Paul and he Dionte could fill your SG spot. Christmas is a GOD offensively and his 3 point shot is a thing of beauty.

Trouble87
04-28-2009, 10:07 PM
you guys need to do some mini rebuilding...ship out either chandler or west and get millsap... you guys need a 2 guard really badly too

Pistons might be looking to deal Rip Hamilton.... Thats something to look at if your NO

BIGBREED
04-29-2009, 08:58 AM
What top players are on that MLE that you know of? And the only trade bait with value that we have are Julien Wright, David West and Tyson Chandler(damaged goods). Antonio Daniels have a expiring contract next year, and teams like that.

DaJuan Blair is to small and has no vertical to play Powerfoward in the NBA. Reminds me of Robert "Tractor" Traylor. He won't be great. I see him as 6th man at best.

RIP is nice but the Hornets need to get younger and more athletic!

tjlipford
04-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Good time to be thinking about the offseason for you guys cuz yall are "goin fishin". Seriously Im suprised and disappointed at the Hornets because I really thought they could beat the Nuggets. Dam

Trouble87
04-29-2009, 07:58 PM
What top players are on that MLE that you know of? And the only trade bait with value that we have are Julien Wright, David West and Tyson Chandler(damaged goods). Antonio Daniels have a expiring contract next year, and teams like that.

DaJuan Blair is to small and has no vertical to play Powerfoward in the NBA. Reminds me of Robert "Tractor" Traylor. He won't be great. I see him as 6th man at best.

RIP is nice but the Hornets need to get younger and more athletic!

Yall need a SG and a proven scorer to take the load off of Paul & West. Hopefully yall down and get Dionte Christmas or maybe trade up and get Tyreke Evans

DaJaun Blair is nice but he's def not what yall need longterm... hopefully the mock draft I looked at was wrong when it came to NO.

Trouble87
04-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Good time to be thinking about the offseason for you guys cuz yall are "goin fishin". Seriously Im suprised and disappointed at the Hornets because I really thought they could beat the Nuggets. Dam

don't count out NO.... expect to see them come back with fire tonight

last time was a fluke; I dont think anyone expected that. wont happen again

Ovratd1up
04-29-2009, 08:16 PM
How about this:

Rip, Kwame Brown, and Amir Johnson for
Chandler and James Posey

N.O. does it because: They desperately need a Shooting Guard (Rip) and need to get younger and more athletic (Amir, Kwame). They want to get rid of Chandler (replaced by Amir, Kwame) and do it because it saves them like 7 million in expiring contracts.

Detroit does it because: Rip doesn't seem to fit in their future and they would love to have Chandler, especially if they were to sign Boozer and make up for his defensive deficiencies with Chandler. Posey brings veteran leadership to guide the young guys, a solid option at the 2 and backup to Prince. This team (signing Boozer) should be ready to contend pretty much right away, and these guys should help.

Trouble87
04-29-2009, 08:21 PM
What do NO fans think about Gerald Green? http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=2761

His contract with the Mavs is expiring at the end of this season and I see him as raw talent at its best. Look at his stat line from the 06-07 NBA season; that is pretty solid for a young guy fresh out of high school on a struggling team. Averaged 10.4 pts in 22.0 mins that season; he also had a 3pt% of .368 while shooting .805 from the free throw line.

Young kid could be a X-Factor coming off the bench... his defense could use a lot of work but his offensive game is a thing of beauty.

Freaky athleticism, average passer, with a budding outside jumper. If the Mavs dont bring him back NO definitive needs to take a look at G. Green

Some random Gerald Green facts; he won the 2005 McDonald's All-American Slam Dunk Contest and the 2007 NBA Slam Dunk Contest. He also was the high scorer in the 2005 McDonald's All-American game.

Trouble87
04-29-2009, 08:25 PM
How about this:

Rip, Kwame Brown, and Amir Johnson for
Chandler and James Posey

N.O. does it because: They desperately need a Shooting Guard (Rip) and need to get younger and more athletic (Amir, Kwame). They want to get rid of Chandler (replaced by Amir, Kwame) and do it because it saves them like 7 million in expiring contracts.

Detroit does it because: Rip doesn't seem to fit in their future and they would love to have Chandler, especially if they were to sign Boozer and make up for his defensive deficiencies with Chandler. Posey brings veteran leadership to guide the young guys, a solid option at the 2 and backup to Prince. This team (signing Boozer) should be ready to contend pretty much right away, and these guys should help.

That works for both sides but would Detroit want to take on Posey's long term deal. His contract runs into the 2011/2012 season... (that was such a horrible signing.)

DenButsu
04-30-2009, 09:06 AM
From espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=Hornets-090430), a pretty good examination of some of the questions facing the Hornets.

What is next for the Hornets?
By Marc Stein

The most pressing questions:

What must Chris Paul be thinking?

Who will the Hornets try to trade first?

What is Scott's future in New Orleans?

How many Hornets will have offseason surgery?

Click the link to see Stein's breakdown.

BIGBREED
04-30-2009, 09:42 AM
The Hornets Big men are whimps!! No heart and No Nuts!!!

saintdrew
04-30-2009, 04:54 PM
i don't know if it's the 'big men' that are whimps.

i think the whole team needs a makeover.

guys like:
rasual butler
peja stojakovic
melvin ely
sean marks
antonio daniels

all those guys need to be gone. a MAJOR makeover in the offseason is what the team needs.

i agree with bigbreed, ben gordon would be amazing to get but after what he's done in the playoffs against the celtics, i doubt any team gets a hold of him.

saintdrew
04-30-2009, 05:06 PM
just to clear things up, our 2009 free agents are:

ryan bowen
devin brown
melvin ely
sean marks

some big names of unrestricted free agents are:
ben gordon
allen iverson
rasheed wallace
jamal crawford
ron artest
ricky davis (player option)
lamar odom
shawn marion
al harrington (player option)
jermanine o'neal (player option)
carlos boozer (player option)

i mean we don't have the money, nor do i think the bulls we let him go, but ben gordon would be the best christmas present ever.

Vinny642
04-30-2009, 05:15 PM
I'd love Gordon

Trouble87
04-30-2009, 10:11 PM
I'd love Gordon

who wouldn't love Gordon right now... he's the kind of player you dream about having on the court in the 4th quarter of a close game

Trouble87
04-30-2009, 10:19 PM
i don't know if it's the 'big men' that are whimps.

i think the whole team needs a makeover.

guys like:
rasual butler
peja stojakovic
melvin ely
sean marks
antonio daniels

all those guys need to be gone. a MAJOR makeover in the offseason is what the team needs.

i agree with bigbreed, ben gordon would be amazing to get but after what he's done in the playoffs against the celtics, i doubt any team gets a hold of him.

why would you add Rasual Butler to that list but not include James Posey or Morris Peterson?

Rasual Butler makes $3,945,000 next season (expiring in 2009/10)
Morris Peterson makes $6,212,960 next season (expiring in 2010/11)
James Posey makes $6,031,800 next season (expiring in 2011/12)

Rasual for the money & contract length is the best player out of the 3... Peterson and Posey don't do enough to put that kinda burden on yall cap for that long

Vinny642
04-30-2009, 10:28 PM
rasual is cool Posey ehh Mo Pete GTFO outta here.

saintdrew
05-01-2009, 03:20 AM
why would you add Rasual Butler to that list but not include James Posey or Morris Peterson?

Rasual Butler makes $3,945,000 next season (expiring in 2009/10)
Morris Peterson makes $6,212,960 next season (expiring in 2010/11)
James Posey makes $6,031,800 next season (expiring in 2011/12)

Rasual for the money & contract length is the best player out of the 3... Peterson and Posey don't do enough to put that kinda burden on yall cap for that long

yeah.....forgot about those two or three. doesn't matter, i want all those guys gone.

Trouble87
05-01-2009, 04:05 AM
rasual is cool Posey ehh Mo Pete GTFO outta here.

My thoughts exactly

yeah.....forgot about those two or three. doesn't matter, i want all those guys gone.

I could see why but yall want them gone but in this economy its going to be extra hard to try and trade them.

If I was the hornets GM I would try to trade for role players with shorter contracts. Guys whose contracts expire in the summer of 2010...

Earl Watson from the Thunder is a solid backup guard for CP3 with a expiring contract

he'll make about $6,600,000 in 2009/10

Him for Posey or Mo Pete wouldn't be a bad deal

Trouble87
05-01-2009, 04:07 AM
2010 Free Agent Breakdown- http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12156

Those are the contracts your team would want to acquire if they decide to go the rebuilding route. Also the prime free agent class that most of the NBA is looking forward too.

Trouble87
05-01-2009, 04:13 AM
New Orleans Hornets to evaluate how to get better
By John Reid

DENVER -- After a first-round playoff elimination that included a 58-point loss in Game 4 to the Denver Nuggets, Hornets forward David West not only expects changes to come this summer, he says they are needed.

Though the Hornets struggled with injuries throughout the season, West said their most glaring problem was not having enough options to turn to other than point guard Chris Paul.

After winning a franchise-record 56 games last season before advancing to the second round, the Hornets entered this season with hopes of advancing to the NBA Finals. But they were unable to fulfill those expectations and finished the regular season as the Western Conference's seventh seed.

In the playoffs, they were dominated by Denver, which eliminated them in five games.

"We've got to get healthy, but outside of that, we've really got to bring some guys in here that can take the load off Chris, " West said. "He's a great player that's going to put up great numbers. But he has to know that on some nights he can be able to rely on a second, third and fourth guy to carry the load. There were times this season where I felt we were outgunned and overmatched."

With an inconsistent bench, West and Paul had to play extended minutes during the regular season. They also had little help in the playoffs other than James Posey and Sean Marks off the bench.

"At this time of the year, you have to take it to another level, " said Posey, who helped the Boston Celtics win the NBA championship last season. "You cannot be on the same level as you were during the regular season."

Hornets General Manager Jeff Bower said evaluations will begin based on their performance in the playoffs. But it was obvious the Hornets' overall talent was not at the same level as the Nuggets. Even before the playoffs began, there was speculation the Hornets intend to revamp their roster by trading to get under the luxury tax.

Starting center Tyson Chandler, who sat out Game 5 on Wednesday night because of a sore left ankle, could be one of the players Bower may look to move to provide needed depth in the frontcourt. Chandler was traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder this past February, but the deal was rescinded after he failed his physical examination because of a previous toe injury that required surgery in April 2006, when the Hornets were temporarily based in Oklahoma City.

"I still feel like we're a couple of pieces away from being a contender, " said Chandler, who said he wants to return next season. "If they do decide to keep the pieces, they cannot do the same thing as last year -- let players go before trying to mix and match. You have to add on to what works. If we had Jannero Pargo along with James Posey and other pieces, it would have made a difference."

Chandler said he does not know what plans the Hornets have this summer.

"I was hurt 80 percent of the season, Chris was banged up, and Peja was out, " Chandler said. "I think getting 49 wins was a huge accomplishment for this organization."

Starting shooting guard Rasual Butler said they need to keep their core group together for next season, but he would not be surprised if changes are made.

"I want those guys to be still around, but it's the NBA and teams change all the time. But it's obvious that we need to improve in some areas. We just have to wait and see what happens."

Link- http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/2009/04/new_orleans_hornets_to_evaluat.html

Thoughts?

Trouble87
05-01-2009, 04:17 AM
http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/2009/04/medium_paullose.jpg

^ To me that picture said everything about that playoff series... One man against a team. Long off-season ahead for N.O.

I feel bad for Byron Scott too... go from coach of the year in 2007/08; to job uncertainty after a poor playoff performance in 2008/09.

Vinny642
05-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Some draft said we r going after Sam Young from Pitt( i think thats his name and college) he is a Sf, it wouldnt hurt.

unk88
05-01-2009, 09:35 PM
just woundering if you guys would consider trading ChrisP in a package for calderon and bosh,or somthing along those lines, its just an idea.

Vinny642
05-01-2009, 09:45 PM
just woundering if you guys would consider trading ChrisP in a package for calderon and bosh,or somthing along those lines, its just an idea.

I would never trade CP3 for anything.

loki34
05-01-2009, 11:07 PM

you might not trade him
but your front office might have too
if they trade chandler,west,posey,etc CP3 won't want to stay.

DenButsu
05-01-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't buy that for a second. After their collapse in the playoffs last year, the Nuggets made a move that was basically perceived as "giving Camby away for nothing", and there was little more than minor grumbling from Melo & Co. Everybody in the organization, including its stars, understands very well after getting ousted from the playoffs in that dramatic of a fashion that the status quo can no longer be maintained, and that big changes are inevitable. CP3 isn't going anyplace.

avsman05
05-02-2009, 12:21 AM
New Orleans Hornets' makeover may include Coach Byron Scott
Posted by John Reid, The Times-Picayune May 01, 2009 10:02PM
Categories: Hornets

Unable to fulfill expectations this season after finishing with a franchise-record 56 wins in 2007-08, the Hornets are expected to make roster changes this summer.

And there appears to be uncertainty about Hornets Coach Byron Scott's return. The Hornets' only public statement is that they plan to evaluate his job performance.

When owner George Shinn was asked last week to assess the job Scott has done and if his job is safe for another year, he said it was a loaded question.

"I haven't sat down with all my basketball people to go through all those things," Shinn said. "A lot of teams in this league would say they're happy to have won 49 games. What happened with the fact we've had injuries the way we have and our coaching staff is good. I can't complain, because we haven't had our team at full strength. Everyone will be analyzed and evaluated in the offseason. I'm analyzed every day."

Scott signed a contract extension last season, but it expires after next season, confirmed by the team Friday.

Scott might be granted the opportunity to pursue coaching vacancies this offseason. That could include the Sacramento Kings, who might be interested in Scott, a league source said.

As of Friday, the Kings had not contacted the Hornets to request permission to speak to Scott, who was the NBA's Coach of the Year last season and coached the West team in the 2008 All-Star Game at the New Orleans Arena.

Any franchise expressing an interest would have to be willing to buy out the final year of his contract, valued at $5.5 million.

Scott could not be reached for comment Friday afternoon.

The Hornets (49-33) were eliminated in five games by the Denver Nuggets in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs. In Game 4, the Hornets fell 121-63 -- which tied the worst playoff loss in NBA history -- on April 27 at the Arena.

"No matter what happens, I am so proud of these guys," Scott said before Wednesday night's elimination defeat (107-86) at the Pepsi Center in Denver. "I thought it was a disservice to our guys the way the fans reacted the other night (during their 58-point loss at the Arena), booing those guys and then reading that Tyson (Chandler) is not this and that.

"These guys are playing hurt. They are going out there giving everything they've got to try and win, not only for themselves but the city of New Orleans. But this year, it has been an up-and-down season because of injuries and all the adversity they had to go through. But to still win 49 games, I think it is a tribute to them on the way they've played all season long."

It's too soon to predict what direction the Hornets might take, but it's apparent they will make changes to their roster. The Hornets are facing a luxury tax this summer if they keep their existing roster. Under league rules, no offseason trades can occur until July.

BREAKING DOWN THE 2008-09 HORNETS -- Staff writer John Reid

PLAYERS

HILTON ARMSTRONG

Season averages: 4.8 points, 2.6 rebounds, 0.4 assists, 0.37 steals.

Contract status: One year, $2.8 million.

Notable: Scored a career-high 17 points against Denver on Jan. 3. Inconsistent and lacked assertiveness for the third consecutive season. Needs to get focused and spend more time working to improve.

Returning next season? Uncertain. He could be involved in a packaged deal in the Hornets' attempt to lower their payroll.

New Orleans Times-Picayune is the source.

unk88
05-02-2009, 06:27 PM
trust me no one is willing to give up their franchise player but some teams like the hornets and raps have to consider it to not get burned in the future

Vinny642
05-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Yea i kno. it sux

JWalk126
05-07-2009, 01:54 PM
West said a free agent the team should pursue is former Hornets guard Jannero Pargo, who played in Russia this past season after New Orleans was unable to re-sign him last summer.

In 2007-08, when the Hornets won a franchise-record 56 games and advanced to the second round of the playoffs, Pargo was a key contributor off the bench. He played in 80 games and averaged 8.1 points and made 65 3-pointers. This season, James Posey was the Hornets' top reserve, averaging 8.9 points.

http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/2009/05/forward_david_west_says_new_or.html

Vinny642
05-07-2009, 05:35 PM
I agree

Method28
05-08-2009, 12:26 AM
honestly...i would like to see West traded...depending on what we get back of course...he's a SG trapped in a PFs body...he shots 20ft jump shots...fade aways at that...and doesnt play defense...i would love a guy like Marion or Artest..even Odom...but we dont have money for that...ahhhhhh this sucks lol

IversonIsKrazy
05-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Bulls Get:
Chris Bosh

Bulls Give-away:
Tyrus Thomas
Luol Deng

Raptors Get:
David West
Jason Richardson

Raptors Give-away:
Chris Bosh
Shawn Marion (S&T)

Hornets Get:
Tyrus Thomas
Luol Deng

Hornets Give-away:
David West
Rasual Butler

Suns Get:
Shawn Marion (S&T)
Rasual Butler

Suns Give-away:
Jason Richardson

Vinny642
05-10-2009, 03:34 PM
hell na not trading west and butler without chaNDLER AND peja

Ovratd1up
05-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Would you trade David West to the Bulls for a player or two, a pick or two, and expirings? I would love to give you Ben Gordon but consider the front office needs to cut costs and would rather have expirings. How about Tyrus Thomas, our two 1st Round Draft Picks this year, and Tim Thomas (expiring, can shoot) or Jerome James (expiring, contract paid by insurance) for West?

Vinny642
05-13-2009, 10:20 PM
So West for Thomas, the two 1st rounders and Tim.

Ehhh Im really about getting rid of TC and Peja. TC isn't a bad player or nothing but overpaid.

spacemandave
05-16-2009, 01:55 PM
ya, im not interested in just getting rid of west, if you need to package him w peja or chandler for some reason thats fine but, no need to just cast him aside...and ive been in the dumps for a few weeks now but i am starting to get optimistic about next season, maybe they can somehow get rid of peja and just add pargo. be best back up pg in league and play combo guard w cp3 at end of game, a healthy posey, west, and chandler would be formidable. butler can start w pargo finishing for him and juju, marks, and bowen, and after that just bring the best d leaguers you can and hope for the best.....my first post, whats up everyone, hornets rule!!!

irishbullceltic
05-16-2009, 03:33 PM
I was wondering if you Hornets fans would like this trade for your team, and I was also wondering if you think this trade can work? It's a 6 team trade. Just look at it first before you make your opinions on the trade.

Bulls get: Bosh, Kaman
Clippers get: West, Noah, Hornets 1st round next year.
Heat get: Amare,
Hornets get: Gordon, Deandre Jordan, Heat 2nd round next year, Clippers 2nd round,
Suns get: Beasley, Marion, Heat 1st round- (whoever they sign that the
Suns want b/c this trade can't happen until July 1st), Heat 1st round next year, Mark Blount
Rapters get: Tyrus, Deng, Clippers 1st round next year, Bulls 1st round next year, Bulls 2nd round next year. Antonio Daniels, Alando Tucker, Goran Dragic, Jared Dudly

I think this should work if Gordon is signed for 12 mill, and Marion-if contract is expired- for 10 mill. Bulls get their big men, Heat get their post up guy, Hornets save money and get their shooter, Suns can redevelope; and I think that Marion and Beasley was and still is a good combo especially for the run and gun Suns, Clippers get role players to help the team chemistry, and the Raptors save money and can redevelope as well.

irishbullceltic
05-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Bulls Get:
Chris Bosh

Bulls Give-away:
Tyrus Thomas
Luol Deng

Raptors Get:
David West
Jason Richardson

Raptors Give-away:
Chris Bosh
Shawn Marion (S&T)

Hornets Get:
Tyrus Thomas
Luol Deng

Hornets Give-away:
David West
Rasual Butler

Suns Get:
Shawn Marion (S&T)
Rasual Butler

Suns Give-away:
Jason Richardson

Bulls: Done Deal
Rapters: Need to throw in a 1st round next year from the Hornets, then it should work
Hornets: I think it should work, but not too sure
Suns: IDK. I think the Suns should get more. Maybe a 1st round next year from the Bulls. As a Bulls fan, I would accept the trade still.

I would prefer my 6 team trade; but if one team doesn't really agree on what they're getting in return, then it'll be pretty much impossible to come up with an agreement. So I think this trade is possible and can be fixed if it has to.

Vinny642
05-16-2009, 06:49 PM
I dont want the Hornets trading West without trading Peja

iHop
05-17-2009, 12:12 AM
I think the best options for the Hornets are to trade D. West for a quality Shooting Guard
and a side note, to get rid of peja's huge contract

iHop
05-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Heres a possible trade, Peja and Mo Pete for Micheal Redd and charlie bell, ( but i dont think its very likely)
another one is with David West and Mo Pete for Emeka Okafor and Raja Bell

irishbullceltic
05-17-2009, 02:30 AM
I dont want the Hornets trading West without trading Peja

Bulls get: Bosh, Kaman, Kapono, L. Amudson
Clippers get: West, Noah, Hornets 1st round next year, Hornets 2nd round next yearHeat get: Amare,
Hornets get: Gordon, Deandre Jordan, Goran Dragic, Jared Dudly, Marcus Banks, Roko Ukic
Suns want b/c this trade can't happen until July 1st), Heat 1st round next year, Mark Blount
Rapters get: Tyrus, Deng, Clippers 1st round next year, Bulls 1st round next year, Bulls 2nd round next year, Antonio Daniels, Alando Tucker, Peja

How does that look for you? Your team has about 8.8 million dollars more in cap room now.

Philly Hammer
05-17-2009, 02:50 AM
You guys don't look to smart and i'm talking about your organization not any of you so don't get upset. How in the hell did you guys let J.R. Smith and the birdman get away from you. That's just crazy that's stupidity in it's truest form you guys had both of these players.

DenButsu
05-17-2009, 11:50 AM
You guys don't look to smart and i'm talking about your organization not any of you so don't get upset. How in the hell did you guys let J.R. Smith and the birdman get away from you. That's just crazy that's stupidity in it's truest form you guys had both of these players.

As a Nuggets fan, I'l defend the Hornets on this one.

1. Birdman

He got suspended for two years for a drug charge. Came back, did not perform very well. From an organizational standpoint, here's a guy who a) let them down BIGTIME and b) when given a second chance was subpar. I don't think there's a GM-ship in the league who would have forseen the extent to which he turned around his life, and turned around his game. Hell, even the Nuggets only gave him a minimum contract, and he's clearly turned himself into a player who deserves (and WILL get) more than that from now on.

2. Smitty

Even after joining the Nuggets, there have been at least 3 occasions where J.R. was possibly/probably on the verge of being waived. First, when he was driving the car that got his friend killed (and he was pretty much fully responsible for that). Second, even after that, his general lack of responsiveness to the coaching staff - refusal to show up on time for practices, refusal to listen to their coaching about his poor shot selection and his bad turnovers, etc. Total nightmare player from a coacing perspetive. Third, the bar incident in which he ripped the dress of and spit on a random chick in a bar, and was (iirc) arrested for that and suspended for (I think) 2 games by the Nuggets. He's been a total basketcase, in other words, who most coaches or teams would simply not tolerate (including Byron Scott and the Hornets), but the Nuggets, with their patience for "problematic" players who have great talent, were able to keep on through the stormy times until he (finally - and with much help from Billups) seems to have emerged from the tunnel and landed himself firmly on the road to blooming into a veritable star player.

So no, I don't blame the Hornets for letting go of these two. 95% of the teams in the league would have done the same thing.

A lot of people like to call the Nuggets the "Thuggets". But in fact, they are somewhat of a reform school where players who need a second chance to achieve their true potential (and, in most cases, actually deserve that second chance) are given that opportunity, and are asked in return to leave it all out there on the court.

It's a high risk organizatinal philosophy, to be sure. But it's one that's paying off big dividends for the Nuggets this season. And even though that's the case, I don't blame most teams for not having the balls to take the same approach. Because it really is an approach - in the worst case scenario - that could blow up in the organization's face.

Patrick Swayze
05-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Ryan Bowen, Sean Marks, Devin Brown, Melvin Ely, and Anthony Tolliver contracts are all expiring at the end of this season who do you guys want to see in a Hornets uniform next year?

Would you resign any of the expiring?

Who would you bring in with those free roster spaces?

Would you use the MLE to sign a current or future free agent?

I think we can afford to lose all of those guys. Ely and Bowen the only ones I'd really want back, but I wouldn't be hurt if they were gone. We really need someone other than Marks as a back up to Chandler.

just to clear things up, our 2009 free agents are:

ryan bowen
devin brown
melvin ely
sean marks

some big names of unrestricted free agents are:
ben gordon
allen iverson
rasheed wallace
jamal crawford
ron artest
ricky davis (player option)
lamar odom
shawn marion
al harrington (player option)
jermanine o'neal (player option)
carlos boozer (player option)

i mean we don't have the money, nor do i think the bulls we let him go, but ben gordon would be the best christmas present ever.

I'll take Ben Gordon and Lamar Odom. I'd love Artest, but he is too much of an idiot.

Vinny642
05-17-2009, 05:31 PM

JR Smith- Ehh it was a bad loss, im happy he is doing good in Denver i'd love him back but, his attitude about the game. This Hornets don't got trash talkers.

Birdman- Im glad he is gone, with us he was **** and doing drugs last year we got him back he wasn't good. So we let him go.

Vinny642
05-17-2009, 05:34 PM
The only people I want us to keep are Chris Paul David West and Julian Wright and I guess Rasual but he can be traded for the right stuff. Build around those people and we are good.

spacemandave
05-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Clippers get: West, Noah, Hornets 1st round next year, Hornets 2nd round next yearHeat get: Amare,
Hornets get: Gordon, Deandre Jordan, Goran Dragic, Jared Dudly, Marcus Banks, Roko Ukic
Rapters get: Tyrus, Deng, Clippers 1st round next year, Bulls 1st round next year, Bulls 2nd round next year, Antonio Daniels, Alando Tucker, Peja

How does that look for you? Your team has about 8.8 million dollars more in cap room now.

im willing to shed cap but draft picks too? to get ben gordon and 5 zeros?!? i guess id make that trade if west wasnt involved, put him in and i want joakim noah in there too(well getting rid of peja and daniels aint bad)....i like the effort tho...as i watch this magic-celts game 7 i will work the trade machine, dont fall off the edge of your seats.

spacemandave
05-17-2009, 09:00 PM
does everyone use the espn trade machine bc it doesnt let you include expired contracts but still counts them against the cap? how can you figure out a plausible trade?

irishbullceltic
05-17-2009, 11:31 PM
im willing to shed cap but draft picks too? to get ben gordon and 5 zeros?!? i guess id make that trade if west wasnt involved, put him in and i want joakim noah in there too(well getting rid of peja and daniels aint bad)....i like the effort tho...as i watch this magic-celts game 7 i will work the trade machine, dont fall off the edge of your seats.

Clippers get: West, Noah, Hornets 2nd round next year, Heat 1st round next year
Heat get: Amare, Matt Barns
Suns get: Beasley, Marion, Mark Blount, Heat 1st round

I think works for everyone. The only team that I'm not too sure of is the Raptors. I don't know how much they like Deng and Tyrus. I think they would like the draft picks though. They take advantage of their picks.

Vinny642
05-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Raptors get mad good stuff. Picks and Peja, Peja is alot of cash but he can still shoot.
You guys are underrating us. At the beginning of the season we started 3-0 then Later when Chandler came back and Peja was back we went on a 7 game winning streak. We aren't that bad.

Patrick Swayze
05-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Birdman- Im glad he is gone, with us he was **** and doing drugs last year we got him back he wasn't good. So we let him go.

I hated Birdman. Still do actually.

spacemandave
05-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Raptors get mad good stuff. Picks and Peja, Peja is alot of cash but he can still shoot.
You guys are underrating us. At the beginning of the season we started 3-0 then Later when Chandler came back and Peja was back we went on a 7 game winning streak. We aren't that bad.

ya i agree, we are still a good team(when healthy), well a real good 5 or 6 guys and a pretty sorry 5 or 6 guys, i pray for jannero pargo back, him, cp3, dwest, chandler, posey finishing a game at the end, im real confident, if not pargo, im reading on espn that acie law is out in atlanta, could be a good back up.

AIverson
05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Get rid of that worthless bumb David West while he still has value.

West is an inconsistent black hole who hurts the team more than he helps. He's an un athletic jump shooting big man who can't finish or take contact, not to mention he kills any type of ball movement. This guy is a grade A team killer. I place 100% of the blame on him. This guy has never seen shot he didn't like and doesn't even know what a pass is.

Trade this guy for Amare. If you can't get him, try and trade him for a collection of young talent to put around Paul.

Patrick Swayze
06-05-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't see why we brought back Devin Brown. He was crap as a back up to Paul. We really better hope they have plans of brining in another point guard.

Vinny642
06-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't see why we brought back Devin Brown. He was crap as a back up to Paul. We really better hope they have plans of brining in another point guard.

We didn't,
he accepted a player option, we couldn't control that

Patrick Swayze
06-06-2009, 02:59 AM
We didn't,
he accepted a player option, we couldn't control that

Yea I realized that after I posted it.

Chisox@22
06-06-2009, 07:45 PM
bulls get: Bosh, kaman, kapono, l. Amudson
clippers get: west, noah, hornets 2nd round next year, heat 1st round next year
heat get: Amare, matt barns
hornets get: Gordon, deandre jordan, goran dragic, jared dudly, marcus banks, roko ukic
suns get: Beasley, marion, mark blount, heat 1st round
rapters get: Tyrus, deng, clippers 1st round next year, bulls 1st round next year, bulls 2nd round next year, antonio daniels, alando tucker, peja

i think works for everyone. The only team that i'm not too sure of is the raptors. I don't know how much they like deng and tyrus. I think they would like the draft picks though. They take advantage of their picks.

or you could come up with the most complicating trade in history
oh wait, you just did

Mckphins
06-07-2009, 04:14 AM
^ hahaha exactly. Seriously y do people come up with those types of trades

Patrick Swayze
06-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Chris Paul said recently that he feels the Hornets priority this offseason should be improving their bench.
"Definitely our bench has to get stronger," Paul said. He also mentioned that he'd be "very, very, very surprised" if David West is traded -- and if CP3 doesn't want West to leave, you can bet that he won't.

Vinny642
06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
LOL Lets let CP GM

Patrick Swayze
06-08-2009, 07:15 PM
LOL Lets let CP GM

He would probably do better than Bower.

Chisox@22
06-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Oj mayo, mike conley, and darko milicic #27 and #35
for david west and cp3

Chisox@22
06-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Cp3---------------trade warrick for two picks and get backup pt guard and
tyreke evans-----2 guard with the two picks...
Rudy gay-------------- ross
( free agent such as birdman ) --------arthur
marc gasol -------- hadaddi

DenButsu
06-08-2009, 10:55 PM
for david west and cp3

:speechless:

spacemandave
06-08-2009, 11:11 PM
throw in marco jaric and its a deal!

Method28
06-09-2009, 02:48 AM
for david west and cp3

:cricket:

so you get our best two players (one of whom is one of the best in all of the NBA) and we get one of the GRIZZLES best players, a 3rd year player who cant hold down the PG job, a bust, and two worthless picks......:eyebrow:

Patrick Swayze
06-09-2009, 02:24 PM
for david west and cp3

:laugh: