PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else concerned about this stat?

tr4shb0t
04-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Lebron shot more freethrows than the entire Pistons team combined in that series. In fact, about half of his points are at the line...

Is it because they already put his name on the MVP award and need to keep him on top? It's just confusing because you can't find any 2 players that combined have shot as many as him alone. Maybe even 3 players.

Maybe its just to artificially boost his confidence. The problem I see with this is that Lebron is receiving a cakewalk victory against other teams and when he actully has play against other better teams he will not be ready.

Besides I don't think anyone wants to watch any more 4 hr long games.

Thoughts?

m26555
04-27-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't think it's any secret that James obviously has the officials in his back-pocket. It is bull **** and EXTREMELY irritating at times, but it's the nature of the sport; if you're good/popular, you'll get the calls that others don't.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-27-2009, 06:36 PM
He usually gets to the line 10-12 times a game. I guess he is driving more to the basket instead of shooting the mid-range which might lead to more trips to the line.

But he probably getting some help from officials.

VCaintdead17
04-27-2009, 06:36 PM
He knows how to get to the line. That's for sure.

Jezeble
04-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Are you guys kidding me? This is a prime example of why people should stay away from stats sheets and watch actual games instead. DO YOU NOT SEE THE HAMMERING JAMES TAKES ON ANY GIVEN NIGHT??? Heck if he were white, he'd be black and blue. In fact, it seems to be a rite of passage for every player on the opposing team to smack him in the face every chance they get.

I'll tell you this much, if he were my son, they'd have to pull me off someone because I'd go Terminator on some player's azz.

m26555
04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Are you guys kidding me? This is a prime example of why people should stay away from stats sheets and watch actual games instead. DO YOU NOT SEE THE HAMMERING JAMES TAKES ON ANY GIVEN NIGHT??? Heck if he were white, he'd be black and blue. In fact, it seems to be a rite of passage for every player on the opposing team to smack him in the face every chance they get.

I'll tell you this much, if he were my son, they'd have to pull me off someone because I'd go Terminator on some player's azz.
I do watch actual games, and I can tell you that James gets PLENTY of help from the officials. Again, I'm not taking anything away from him because he DOES know how to draw contact, but to say that he doesn't get a few more calls than anyone else in the league is just ridiculous.

atl_braves_fan
04-27-2009, 06:48 PM
He will always get a few more calls just like a good pitcher will get the outside corner, however, the real reason that he gets to the line is that he is aggressive and the Pistons hammer him when he goes to the lane. The Pistons were not very aggressive, so they didn't go to the line that often.

Spurred1
04-27-2009, 06:48 PM
This again. Seems like every other day someone has a problem with Lebron and what he's doing.

m26555
04-27-2009, 06:49 PM
This again. Seems like every other day someone has a problem with Lebron and what he's doing.
What does this have anything to do with "having a problem with what LeBron is doing?" The original poster was talking about the refs.

tr4shb0t
04-27-2009, 06:51 PM

I don't have a problem with anything Lebron does...what gives you that idea? I think he is an incredible player, but he doesn't need help from officials.

Jezeble
04-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I do watch actual games, and I can tell you that James gets PLENTY of help from the officials. Again, I'm not taking anything away from him because he DOES know how to draw contact, but to say that he doesn't get a few more calls than anyone else in the league is just ridiculous.

No, that's not the tone your post was taking. Every superstar in this league gets favorable calls. Check DWade, he has had several games where he isn't called for even 1 foul, yet he is very active with his hands. My point is, LeBron earns a majority of those calls. No one can deny that he is constantly hammered by the opposing team, each and every game.:eyebrow:

m26555
04-27-2009, 06:53 PM
No, that's not the tone your post was taking. Every superstar in this league gets favorable calls. Check DWade, he has had several games where he isn't called for even 1 foul, yet he is very active with his hands. My point is, LeBron earns a majority of those calls. No one can deny that he is constantly hammered by the opposing team, each and every game.:eyebrow:
Yeah, because you can definitely tell the "tone" of a post on an Internet message board.

Wade also gets favorable calls from the officials, but this topic isn't about Wade; it's about LeBron, who also gets A LOT of calls that he shouldn't be getting. If you can't see that, then...I don't even know.

tr4shb0t
04-27-2009, 06:56 PM

I'm talking about playoffs too, not the regular season. Wade and Kobe don't have even close to the number of freethrows as Lebron. Playoff games are typically where the officials let the players play, but Lebron is the one clear case where I noticed that is not the case.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Cake walk?

Did anyone really beleive that Detriot would beat cleaveland?

tr4shb0t
04-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Cake walk?

Did anyone really beleive that Detriot would beat cleaveland?

Exactly my point! Its a clear win for Clevland, so why do the officials send Lebron to the line more than the entire other team? Its not necessary at all.

Jezeble
04-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Yeah, because you can definitely tell the "tone" of a post on an Internet message board.

Wade also gets favorable calls from the officials, but this topic isn't about Wade; it's about LeBron, who also gets A LOT of calls that he shouldn't be getting. If you can't see that, then...I don't even know.

There you go, SO I WAS RIGHT ABOUT YOUR TONE. How quickly you went from "A few calls" to "A lot." YOUR HATE IS SHOWING.;)

Jezeble
04-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Exactly my point! Its a clear win for Clevland, so why do the officials send Lebron to the line more than the entire other team? Its not necessary at all.

Then maybe Detroit should have played REAL defense, instead of their HACK-A-LEBRON strategy!:pity:

Hawkeye15
04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
um, any time LeBron drove the lane, Detroit hammered him. And LJ attacked much of the series.

NBA-FAN4EVER
04-27-2009, 07:13 PM
He earned him them. Everytime he drove they hacked him while pretty much noone on the Pistons drove to the hoop outside of Stuckey in the first game. All Rashed, Prince, Hamilton, McDyss dtc did was shoot jumpers.

phils07
04-27-2009, 07:24 PM
i hate people that dont actually watch games. LEBRON DROVE A LOT AND GOT FOULED. DETROIT SHOT JUMPERS AND PACKED IT IN FOR THEIR ERA TO END. i love how no one questioned it when MJ got to the line...why do it with LeBron. hes strong, hes got handles, and he goes to the hoop. if u dont foul em...its probably a made basket. thats why hes getting to the line so much. and like i said before, detroit completely packed it in along with tayshaun being semi injured and wallace being in his last year (in fact he asked to be bought out) and chauncey being traded. theyre bad. the cavs are great. its not a BIAS of any sort.

tr4shb0t
04-27-2009, 07:32 PM
i hate people that dont actually watch games. LEBRON DROVE A LOT AND GOT FOULED. DETROIT SHOT JUMPERS AND PACKED IT IN FOR THEIR ERA TO END. i love how no one questioned it when MJ got to the line...why do it with LeBron. hes strong, hes got handles, and he goes to the hoop. if u dont foul em...its probably a made basket. thats why hes getting to the line so much. and like i said before, detroit completely packed it in along with tayshaun being semi injured and wallace being in his last year (in fact he asked to be bought out) and chauncey being traded. theyre bad. the cavs are great. its not a BIAS of any sort.

Wow you're good. How did you know I didn't watch any of the games? I was just making this all up hoping that it made sense. I should just delete the post right?

I don't expect Cavs fans to agree with what I said anyway. All fans are biased by definition.

Young2Kinsler
04-27-2009, 07:55 PM
This seems like a Lebron hater grasping at straws. Let's chalk this up to Detroit is a LOUSY team and couldn't keep me out of the paint. When you drive the ball you are going to get more calls. Don't act like Lebron is the only NBA player this happens for. Happened with WAde in 06, and Kobe all the time. It may look like favoritism, but it could just be, the guys who put the ball on the floor and in the lane, just get fouled more.

fairandbalanced
04-27-2009, 07:58 PM

Are we talking about Yao Ming here? If refs are awarding fouls based on touching/hammering the way Lebron is been honored, Yao should be at the line 30 times a game.

madiaz3
04-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Are we talking about Yao Ming here? If refs are awarding fouls based on touching/hammering the way Lebron is been honored, Yao should be at the line 30 times a game.

:clap:

superkegger
04-27-2009, 08:06 PM
I don't see a problem with it. Sure he got a couple calls, but the Pistons didn't stop him from getting to the rim, and they were a jump shooting team. That's the reason for the disparity, not the prefential treatment.

philab
04-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Simply looking at the number of FT attempts a guy gets and saying there's a referee bias is really, really dumb.

Is it not possible that he actually got fouled 8-10 times?

If you perceive a referee bias, then point out a few situations where LeBron got calls that Detroit did not/would not get. Although anecdotes don't do much for me either, it's at least the start of an argument.

Just to be clear -- I'm not saying there was or wasn't some sort of bias here. My point is that a guy shooting a lot of free throws is not indicative of special treatment.

IndyRealist
04-27-2009, 08:30 PM
He gets a TON of calls. But so does every other star in the league who drives to the basket. If they call it consistently, then as a team you just have to anticipate it and adjust.

albertc86
04-27-2009, 08:40 PM
I don't think it's any secret that James obviously has the officials in his back-pocket. It is bull **** and EXTREMELY irritating at times, but it's the nature of the sport; if you're good/popular, you'll get the calls that others don't.

I agree and disagree. I agree that he gets superstar treatment, but during the season, there was a good stretch where he couldn't buy a foul against him.

rabueed
04-27-2009, 08:58 PM
This seems like a Lebron hater grasping at straws. Let's chalk this up to Detroit is a LOUSY team and couldn't keep me out of the paint. When you drive the ball you are going to get more calls. Don't act like Lebron is the only NBA player this happens for. Happened with WAde in 06, and Kobe all the time. It may look like favoritism, but it could just be, the guys who put the ball on the floor and in the lane, just get fouled more.

used to happen to Kobe all the time, not so much anymore. I agree it still happens, but not like before.

Wade is second to Lebron in this.

I don't care that this happens with Lebron or Wade or anybody else. My issue is that everyone complained about this when it happened to Kobe, but now that it happens to others more, not a problem in the world.

philab
04-27-2009, 09:02 PM
My issue is that everyone complained about this when it happened to Kobe, but now that it happens to others more, not a problem in the world.

Are you blind? There's a thread about this almost every day on here.

That's like a self-negating comment.

Concrete Corey
04-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Yes it's very disturbing. Lebron is already too good to begin with. How can you beat a guy that good when the refs put him at the line as soon as you lay a finger on him? I mean Kobe Bryant has been the best player in the NBA for how many straight years and he doesn't even get special treatment like that. Why don't we just give the trophy to Cleveland right now?

_KB24_
04-27-2009, 09:17 PM
He's the NBAs poster boy so of course there gunna try to make him look good. Wade and Kobe are not as favored because they are really good free throw shooters. You dont expect them to miss. Helping Lebron get to the strike really doesnt effect them because hes not much of a threat.

Lakersfan2483
04-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Lebron shot more freethrows than the entire Pistons team combined in that series. In fact, about half of his points are at the line...

Is it because they already put his name on the MVP award and need to keep him on top? It's just confusing because you can't find any 2 players that combined have shot as many as him alone. Maybe even 3 players.

Maybe its just to artificially boost his confidence. The problem I see with this is that Lebron is receiving a cakewalk victory against other teams and when he actully has play against other better teams he will not be ready.

Besides I don't think anyone wants to watch any more 4 hr long games.

Thoughts?

He definitely gets the benefit of the doubt on a lot of calls and gets better treatment from the refs than other player in the league. It's hard enough to guard him, but when he's averaging 12 to 14 free throw trips a game, it's impossible.

Jezeble
04-27-2009, 10:17 PM
He definitely gets the benefit of the doubt on a lot of calls and gets better treatment from the refs than other player in the league. It's hard enough to guard him, but when he's averaging 12 to 14 free throw trips a game, it's impossible.

Maybe you are thinking of Kobe. For years if you even sniffed at him, they'd call a foul. Now he is the grizzled vet, and LeBron is the new King, it has become an issue. No, LeBron does not get a lot of benefit calls -- he does get a few -- he earns most of the calls he gets. NO PLAYER -- AND I MEAN NONE -- GETS HACKED AS MUCH AS HE DOES!:smoking:

Jezeble
04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
On another note, I really wish they would not allow these threads where people can bash another team's player. They only serve to create hostilities and baiting.

Concrete Corey
04-27-2009, 10:25 PM
He's the NBAs poster boy so of course there gunna try to make him look good. Wade and Kobe are not as favored because they are really good free throw shooters. You dont expect them to miss. Helping Lebron get to the strike really doesnt effect them because hes not much of a threat.

What are you talking about. He still is an 80% FT shooter. That means he hit 8 out of every 10 free throws he takes. Any 80% free throw shooter going to the line that much makes all the difference in the world. Seriously your post makes absolutely no sense at all. Helping Lebron get to the strike really doesnt effect them because hes not much of a threat? WTF are you talking about? Give me a break.

Kenny
04-27-2009, 10:44 PM
I love how people on this board are *****ing without watching the games but none of the pistons players or coahces were since they clearly were fouling him when he was constantly attacking the basket..

Add to the fact the pistons dont attack the basket, doesnt rasheed wallace shoot more threes then free throws???

Get a clue people

LanceUpperCut
04-27-2009, 10:44 PM
All stars get the calls Lebron is just the best a taking it to the hoop.He's takes it to the net so strong that it looks like a soft foul on him but anyone else would drop and it would look ovious.

Kenny
04-27-2009, 10:48 PM
BTW, when teams wrap Lebron up like this is a football game to prevent him from making the basket would you like the refs not to call it??

aWiLL 20
04-27-2009, 10:48 PM
I COMPLETELY AGREE. It makes some games hard to watch.

Being a Mavs fan, I always think about the '06 finals when wade went to the line if we breathed on him...

mlisica19
04-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Uhm maybe thats cuz lebron is a juggernaut and when he drives its either foul or die.. And detroit doesnt give him the easy 2 points so they make him shoot

Jezeble
04-28-2009, 12:40 AM
I COMPLETELY AGREE. It makes some games hard to watch.

Being a Mavs fan, I always think about the '06 finals when wade went to the line if we breathed on him...

Maybe if your boy Dirk was not made of tissue paper, and would take it to the rim and stop opting for those awkward looking fade-aways and three-pointers, he would get some calls too.:cool:

tr4shb0t
04-28-2009, 01:13 AM
On another note, I really wish they would not allow these threads where people can bash another team's player. They only serve to create hostilities and baiting.

Are you that blind? No one is bashing any player and I guarantee if you weren't Lebron's #1 fan you could care less. Anyone with an education would agree that the Internet should not be restricted from freedom of speech.

The question isn't even that Lebron gets highly favorable calls, because almost every single post except your onslaught clearly shows an understanding of this. So please just stop with your laughable claims. We know the all-stars like Kobe and Wayde get them too. The thing is, Lebron is now under the false impression that his team will cakewalk to the championships, which won't happen.

Lakersfan2483
04-28-2009, 04:41 AM
Maybe you are thinking of Kobe. For years if you even sniffed at him, they'd call a foul. Now he is the grizzled vet, and LeBron is the new King, it has become an issue. No, LeBron does not get a lot of benefit calls -- he does get a few -- he earns most of the calls he gets. NO PLAYER -- AND I MEAN NONE -- GETS HACKED AS MUCH AS HE DOES!:smoking:

No, I stand by my claim that Lebron James is the most protected star in the NBA. He shot almost 60 free throws in only 4 games in the postseason and most of the games were never real close, so you can only imagine how many he would have shot had the games been closer. He also shot more free throws than the entire Pistons' team which is quite amazing.

DenButsu
04-28-2009, 05:23 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355745

^That is the place for this conversation.