PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to take Detroit's spot in the playoffs next year?

Raps18-19 Champ
04-27-2009, 06:29 PM
A lot of fans think that the Detroit era is officially over. With that being the case...

Who is going to take Detroit's spot in the playoffs next year if Detroit doesn't regroup?

I would think it is between the New York Knicks, Washington Wizards and Toronto Raptors.

They all have the peices to get there. Wizards and Raptors have had bad years because of injuries and New York has improved a lot with Mike D'Antoni.

m26555
04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I honestly see the Knicks taking it.

rapswin98
04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
the raptors obviously

Hawkeye15
04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
um, the Pistons. They have $35 million coming off the books, with Rip, Prince, Maxiell, and Stuckey still there. They will be able to restock quickly. I am not saying the Iverson trade was a good one from a basketball standpoint, but it sure freed up a lot of space this summer

m26555
04-27-2009, 06:43 PM
um, the Pistons. They have $35 million coming off the books, with Rip, Prince, Maxiell, and Stuckey still there. They will be able to restock quickly. I am not saying the Iverson trade was a good one from a basketball standpoint, but it sure freed up a lot of space this summer
This is going to be a pretty weak year for free agency, though.

Hoopsadvocate
04-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Um nobody the pistions have Iverson, McDyess, and Wallaces contracts coming off the books this summer. They've been rumored to be trying to land Boozer who i think would be a good fit. If not there not much worse than most current non playoff teams in the EAST 35 million will help them add some nice pieces enough to stay in the playoffs.

Hawkeye15
04-27-2009, 07:06 PM

having salary cap is not all about free agency. It can be used to take on long term deals from teams that are strapped for cash, or just have too many players under high dollar, long term deals. See GS, or Charlotte. 2 example, dont get uppity if you are a fan of them. All I mean is, if you have 4-5 players eating up $45 million a year, something has to give, and many times, that means trading a player you don't want to. Now, fans of these teams say, "no way, we would never trade him, take our garbage!", when the owner says, "I don't care who it is, trade whomever is getting us the most financial value". Most of the time, fans are just not able to comprehend how you could trade one of you're best players away, when the reality is, management screwed up, made too many long term commitments, and had no choice.

durtee
04-27-2009, 07:26 PM

compared to next year it is definitely weak, but there are some pretty big free agents available.

Ben Gordon, Carlos Boozer, Jason Kidd, Allen Iverson, Rasheed Wallace, Ron Artest, Lamar Odom, Andre Miller just to name a handful.

IRUAM #21
04-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Charlotte Bobcats

sixer04fan
04-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Yeah it could easily be the Bobcats, if the pistons aren't back with a revamped lineup.

SwaggaIke
04-27-2009, 07:46 PM
I love how everybody thinks the Pistons are done. I'm not even close to being a fan but if they can land Paul Milsap and a defensive minded center they'll be right back in the thick of ****.

braveniler58
04-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Bobcats.

superkegger
04-27-2009, 08:16 PM
I think the pistons will regroup and they'll still be a playoff team next year

SpeeMN
04-27-2009, 08:20 PM
wizards, too much talent, and flip knows how to get into the playoffs. But that doesn't mean Detroit is the team out

KmB728
04-27-2009, 08:21 PM
who says they wont make the playoffs?

Nikolishin
04-27-2009, 08:27 PM
i think the pistons will take hte pistons spot next year

LeonFSU
04-27-2009, 08:29 PM
The Knicks. This is how I see it happening: First Jeff Van Gundy is going to come to a Knicks' practice one day only to find Alonzo Mourning and Charles Oakley talking to each other. The sight of Mourning will undoubtedly force Van Gundy to grab hold of Zo's leg circa 1998 and hold on with all his strength. Except this time, Mourning isn't going to laugh it off, and will start swinging his leg repeatedly to shake Van Gundy off of him. This will send Van Gundy flying across the court where he'll land on an unsuspecting Mike D'Antoni, who had his back turned because he was in a heated argument with Danilo Gallinari after the Rooster got upset over Mike D calling him Vittorio for the tenth time that day.

Mike D's injury caused by the flying Van Gundy will force him to miss the year, and the Knicks will then decide to replace the man who was injured by Van Gundy with Van Gundy himself. With Van Gundy back in the mix, virtually the entire roster will refuse to play under Jeff because he isn't able to get through a single sentence without telling the players how terrible they are on defense. With only David Lee, Duhon, Chandler, and Jerome James still on the roster, Van Gundy will be forced to give Allan Houston a uniform, and sell all of his possessions so that he can pay enough for Latrell Sprewell to play the year to help feed his family. When training camp starts and the Knicks start to play well, Patrick Chewing won't be able to resist the urge of making a comeback in search of the championship ring that eluded him for his previous NBA career under the name Patrick Ewing.

dolfan720
04-27-2009, 08:32 PM
The Bucks they have Redd, Jefferson, Villanova, bogut, sessons, Ridnior i love it

Nirvanaskurdt
04-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Wizards... if they take Shaq from the Suns :D or if not.. probably the Raptors? :)

Giaps
04-27-2009, 10:10 PM
No draft, free agency, trades = too early to tell

superkegger
04-27-2009, 11:53 PM
No draft, free agency, trades = too early to tell

This is true. And at this point I think the pistons will be back in the playoffs next year. But I think the East will/should be even more competitive next year, and the East will definitely have the edge on the west next year

Lakergirl24
04-28-2009, 12:55 AM
If they use their cap space wisely and end up signing someone like boozer or ben gordon then they can still make the playoffs. If they dont, I'd say the bobcats will make it next year if they can stay healthy

EX-TREME
04-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Bobcats

PennyMy#1
04-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Hm, Bobcats is a good one. Maybe the Wizards if they stay healthy ... or the Pistons. You never know. But Charlotte should get a spot next year.

Kabowdos
04-28-2009, 12:34 PM
I love how everybody thinks the Pistons are done. I'm not even close to being a fan but if they can land Paul Milsap and a defensive minded center they'll be right back in the thick of ****.

I know I feel the same way. Why would you count out a team from the playoffs next year ALREADY? Are you stupid? There is an off-season and a draft ahead of us and development time. Everyone is so quick to jump the gun.

J-N-M-ETS4LYF
04-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure if the pistons will come out.. but i cant beleive you left the Nets off the list for potential teams that might make it next year... I think the Nets are going to be better than the knicks..
Devin Harris is only getting better and him along with Rose, and Rondo are the Best PG in the east
Vince Carter... u guys may say hes getting older but he still put up around 22 5 and 5.. While being a very very good leader off a young team.. Expect the same
Yi Jianlian .. Made some strides and was unhealthy.. but he can definitly be a solid contributor next season
Brook Loopez? Probably the second best rookie this year... and he's only getting better.. He's gonna be top 5 center by next season.. I see aroudn 17 pts.. 8 reb.. and couple of blocks a game.. He can shoot.. and is getting better defensivly..
CDR should be a solid bench scoring player as he showed many sign of a very intelligents player who plays aggresive Defense..Only getting better
Ryan Anderson... Can flat out shot and grab boards.. Hustle.. only getting better
Dooling, simmons, hayes are some great bench players..

With a healthy Devin Harris & yi Jianlian.. And growing monster in Lopez.. along with the vet all star Vince Carter... The Nets should be a playoff team next year

OG "Dee" LOCc
04-28-2009, 06:16 PM
The Knicks. This is how I see it happening: First Jeff Van Gundy is going to come to a Knicks' practice one day only to find Alonzo Mourning and Charles Oakley talking to each other. The sight of Mourning will undoubtedly force Van Gundy to grab hold of Zo's leg circa 1998 and hold on with all his strength. Except this time, Mourning isn't going to laugh it off, and will start swinging his leg repeatedly to shake Van Gundy off of him. This will send Van Gundy flying across the court where he'll land on an unsuspecting Mike D'Antoni, who had his back turned because he was in a heated argument with Danilo Gallinari after the Rooster got upset over Mike D calling him Vittorio for the tenth time that day.

Mike D's injury caused by the flying Van Gundy will force him to miss the year, and the Knicks will then decide to replace the man who was injured by Van Gundy with Van Gundy himself. With Van Gundy back in the mix, virtually the entire roster will refuse to play under Jeff because he isn't able to get through a single sentence without telling the players how terrible they are on defense. With only David Lee, Duhon, Chandler, and Jerome James still on the roster, Van Gundy will be forced to give Allan Houston a uniform, and sell all of his possessions so that he can pay enough for Latrell Sprewell to play the year to help feed his family. When training camp starts and the Knicks start to play well, Patrick Chewing won't be able to resist the urge of making a comeback in search of the championship ring that eluded him for his previous NBA career under the name Patrick Ewing.

This made me LOL :clap:

I hope the Knicks take at least the 8th next year. Though, it might be the bobcats (see: Gerald Wallace, stud) or the bucks...I can also see the wizards doing that...or the pistons could stay in the 8th. Its too early to tell, either way.

TragicallyHip
04-28-2009, 06:26 PM
raptors until 2010 when LeBron goes to the Knicks.

IversonIsKrazy
04-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Toronto as much as i Want but, the Pistons r going to be good. They will most likely sign Carlos Boozer. With still having around $17m - $20m left to sign sum1 in 2010 like Amare or Bosh.

PG: Stuckey/Bynum
SG: Rip/Afflalo
SF: Tay/Hermann
PF: Boozer/Max
C: Amir/Dyess