PDA

View Full Version : Where Does the Billups-Iverson trade rank among the worst of all time?

ProdigyI
04-27-2009, 12:23 PM
With the way that Billups is playing in the playoffs, averaging close to 30 PPG and helping his team probably make it past the 1st round for the 1st time in 5 years......and Iverson told not even to come with his team, shut down for the playoffs, and the Pistons getting swept in 4 non-competetive games....I'd say top 5.

Here's an interesting comparison between the 2 in the playoffs :laugh:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Photo-ABC-clowns-Billups-Iverson-trade;_ylt=Akpk_gI_ld6kk4fr8Pm9k6W8vLYF?urn=nba,15 9199

29$JerZ
04-27-2009, 12:26 PM
It was a salary move and a chance to let Rodney become the starting PG. Also with Billups contract it would be hard to move if he say got injured.

Salary in 2009 + 2010 vs Finals and bust.

pick your poison.

conway429
04-27-2009, 12:31 PM
It definately didn't work out for Detroit, but I don't think it's top 5 or anything.
There's definately been worse trades... Dirk Nowitzki for Robert Traylor?...

DreamShaker
04-27-2009, 12:37 PM
The Gasol and Kidd trades were much worse...Iverson's contract expires this summer and Billups is over 30. Team wise...it was HORRIBLE. Iverson could not have gone to a team in which he fit worse. But like the post a few above me stated...it was a salary dump for a player over 30.

what54!?
04-27-2009, 12:39 PM
The Gasol and Kidd trades were much worse...Iverson's contract expires this summer and Billups is over 30. Team wise...it was HORRIBLE. Iverson could not have gone to a team in which he fit worse. But like the post a few above me stated...it was a salary dump for a player over 30.I agree

bostncelts34
04-27-2009, 12:41 PM
I dont think it ranks in the worst trades at all.

Lets face it, even with billups the pistons PROBABLY would have not made it to the finals again. Assuming KG was healthy. They would have to beat the same team who beat them last year, and an incredible cleveland team. Not to mention orlando.

Also, this trade made them "bad" for one year. It will make them great for a while IMO. They will have 35 million to spend this off season. Losing A.I's, sheeds,maxielle and mydyess's contracts. Give them 1 or 2 solid free agent pick ups to go along with rip,prince and so on. They are fine.

albertc86
04-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Not at all. Iverson is still a great player, but stylistically, it was a bad move for Detroit. It's not even close to being one of the worst trades of all time. Good trade, but Iverson didn't buy into the Detroit's philosophy.

bahama0811
04-27-2009, 12:42 PM
This is one of the best trades of all time.:up:

pd7631
04-27-2009, 12:45 PM
before the season even started the general consensus around the league was that the Pistons run was long over, and that they didn't stand a chance at winning a championship anyway. They took a flyer on AI knowing that if it didn't work out with him then at least they are taking 20 Mil off their cap. The problem was that the team didn't adjust to AI.....at all. If they had any intentions of trying to be successful with AI, they would have adjusted, instead guys like Rip Hamilton just cried about losing Chauncey instead of moving forward.

This trade is nowhere near the worst trades of all time, if AI had another 2 or 3 years on his contract, then yeah it would be. But look how old the Pistons are, 4 out of their 5 best players are all past their primes.

Again, there was no chance that the Pistons were gonna do anything significant this year even with Chauncey. Dumars made the decision to get the rebuilding an early start by cutting salary.

The team could have been much better this year though, had they decided to change their style of play to adjust to AI(even McDyess said they should do that), but they didn't and they're getting a better draft pick because of it.

ProdigyI
04-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Could the Pistons have kept Chauncey and still go after a big name free agent in 2009 or 2010?

IRUAM #21
04-27-2009, 12:47 PM
It helps Detroit salary wise :shrug:

masalex1205
04-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Sure it looks bad right now but when Billups starts to decline physically and Detroit potentially has one or two young guns on their roster fromt he money that was freed up it might change

We're just going to have to wait and see, time will be the ultimate judge

Lo Porto
04-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Are the Nuggets really contenders? Was Detroit a contender with Billups? The answer is no to both. Detroit now has the money to go out and pick up a player like Boozer to add to a decent core of Stuckey, Rip and Tayshaun. Billups is much better than Stuckey, but Stuckey is still very solid and the team need is still mostly in the post.

what54!?
04-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Could the Pistons have kept Chauncey and still go after a big name free agent in 2009 or 2010?they could have with sheed's contract but I guess dumars felt that it was time to rebuild and Billups wouldn't be part of the long term plans.

DerekRE_3
04-27-2009, 12:59 PM
There are worse trades out there....like:

Kings Trade Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe (two declining vets) for Chris Webber (young former #1 overall pick who put up 25 and 12).

Lakers trading Caron Butler for Kwame Brown. Yes I know they used Brown to get Pau, but that was a gift and I'm just talking about the deal itself. Kobe liked playing with Caron, and Caron liked playing with Kobe. Not sure why they traded him for a bust.

DreamShaker
04-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Could the Pistons have kept Chauncey and still go after a big name free agent in 2009 or 2010?

Not if they want to extend Stuckey at any point...and they were sold on him at that point.

DreamShaker
04-27-2009, 01:13 PM
There are worse trades out there....like:

Kings Trade Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe (two declining vets) for Chris Webber (young former #1 overall pick who put up 25 and 12).

Lakers trading Caron Butler for Kwame Brown. Yes I know they used Brown to get Pau, but that was a gift and I'm just talking about the deal itself. Kobe liked playing with Caron, and Caron liked playing with Kobe. Not sure why they traded him for a bust.

Everybody has that "well we can fix him" mentality.

DerekRE_3
04-27-2009, 01:17 PM
I completely understand the Billups-Iverson deal from Detroit's perspective. I'd argue that even with Chauncey Billups, they can't beat the Cavs or Boston (trade happened when KG was healthy). This offseason, Rasheed and AI come off the books, and they free up a ton of cap room and they can retool the roster. There's was also a chance that AI could have helped Detroit (obviously didn't happen), and it was a low risk since Iverson was an expiring contract. It also allowed them to better see what they have with Rodney Stuckey.

ProdigyI
04-27-2009, 01:31 PM
I think it was ******** of Detroit this season to bring Rip, even AI off then bench and not Stuckey IMO

Not only was it a slap to the face of Rip, but also the franchise.

If Detroit thinks that Stuckey is their future PG for years to come and Iverson only a one year wonder, then why didnt they have Stuckey come off the bench to veterans like Rip and AI?

If anybody had to come off the bench for this year, it was Stuckey IMO. I think Detroit shot themselves in the foot on this one.

m26555
04-27-2009, 06:17 PM
I think it was ******** of Detroit this season to bring Rip, even AI off then bench and not Stuckey IMO

Not only was it a slap to the face of Rip, but also the franchise.

If Detroit thinks that Stuckey is their future PG for years to come and Iverson only a one year wonder, then why didnt they have Stuckey come off the bench to veterans like Rip and AI?

If anybody had to come off the bench for this year, it was Stuckey IMO. I think Detroit shot themselves in the foot on this one.
I agree. I think Detroit could have been a MUCH more formidable team had they started both Hamilton and Iverson in the backcourt and allowed them to form some sort of chemistry. Instead, they went back and forth will benching both players for an unproven point guard. Very dumb decision in my book.

RaptorsFanatic
04-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Vince Carter for No Name Williams ^ Squared.

Definately worse.

Hawkeye15
04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
before the season even started the general consensus around the league was that the Pistons run was long over, and that they didn't stand a chance at winning a championship anyway. They took a flyer on AI knowing that if it didn't work out with him then at least they are taking 20 Mil off their cap. The problem was that the team didn't adjust to AI.....at all. If they had any intentions of trying to be successful with AI, they would have adjusted, instead guys like Rip Hamilton just cried about losing Chauncey instead of moving forward.

This trade is nowhere near the worst trades of all time, if AI had another 2 or 3 years on his contract, then yeah it would be. But look how old the Pistons are, 4 out of their 5 best players are all past their primes.

Again, there was no chance that the Pistons were gonna do anything significant this year even with Chauncey. Dumars made the decision to get the rebuilding an early start by cutting salary.

The team could have been much better this year though, had they decided to change their style of play to adjust to AI(even McDyess said they should do that), but they didn't and they're getting a better draft pick because of it.

what he said

jimbobjarree
04-27-2009, 06:57 PM
you cant talk about it until we see what the Pistons do with the salary. They got rid of a 32 year old on a 3 years deal of over 35milish from a team that wasnt going to win anyways, it still looks a pretty good deal by their part.