PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 Pick #52: Browns select DE David Veikune

yboord028
04-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Cleveland Browns: Round 2 Pick #52

David Veikune, DE

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/combine/headshots/71505.jpg

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 257
College: Hawaii
Conference: WAC
Hometown: Wahiawa, HI
High School: Campbell

Positives: High-motor power defensive end. Hustles down the line and chases downfield. Sheds blocks using strong, violent hands when he's fresh. Uses his stout frame to split double-teams and move to the ball while engaged. Has the explosiveness to get the edge by dropping his shoulder or using an over-arm move. Stands up on some plays and is able to contain bootlegs or cover backs or receivers in the flat on zone blitzes.

Negatives: Not likely to out-quick NFL tackles to get an immediate pass rush off the edge. A bit shorter than scouts prefer, although he can get his hands up to deflect passes. Will get engulfed by larger tackles as he wears down. Has an inside spin move, but needs to be more consistent maintaining his balance to finish. Lacks elite athleticism.

Compares To: TEDY BRUSCHI, New England -- Coming out of Arizona, Bruschi was the same type of player that Veikune is in that he made up for a lack of blazing speed with a relentless motor. With his ability to explode into bigger offensive linemen and make plays vs. action in front of him, Veikune could be a "poor man's" Bruschi in a 3-4 alignment. What better place for him to hone his skills than learning from the master himself in New England?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/david-veikune?id=71505#profiles-tabs:players-analysis

phitautimmy
04-25-2009, 10:20 PM
As the first defensive player taken this year by the Browns he better be worth the pick.

kosar4president
04-25-2009, 10:57 PM
He will be

theBROWNguy
04-26-2009, 03:20 AM
well atleast we didnt take Orakpo at 5 only to find out he cant make the switch from DE to OLB and we wasted top5 money on him. this guy sounds good and if he dont work out it wont hurt as much cause he will come alot cheapier.

good pick i hope....

TheKardiacKid
04-26-2009, 09:32 AM
just watched some highlights on Veikune and he looks pretty stout against the run, seems to be about a step slow with his pass rush....looks good in space keeping square with the line and is in the frame of alot of plays....should be a good player.

Hermie13
04-27-2009, 12:47 PM
I love the pick. I'd have preferred Barwin at 36....but Veikune was the next best OLB hybrid. I like him more than Sintim even. He's gonna turn some heads this year.

DirtyBuck
04-28-2009, 10:24 AM
C'mon, the guys uncle is "The Rock"! How can you go wrong!?!?

Hermie13
04-28-2009, 12:22 PM
C'mon, the guys uncle is "The Rock"! How can you go wrong!?!?

um....no it's not. that was the OLB from USC that we took in the 4th round you're thinking of....

phitautimmy
04-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Kaluka Maiva is the Rocks nephew.

DirtyBuck
04-28-2009, 02:00 PM
um....no it's not. that was the OLB from USC that we took in the 4th round you're thinking of....

thats right, my bad.

Stonevision
04-29-2009, 09:23 PM
I hadn't heard of him going in rd. 2 before Saturday. Any video I saw of him he looked good but we'll have to see come September.

17td
04-29-2009, 09:49 PM
He's got a nose for the ball and that's what we need...

Hermie13
04-30-2009, 12:35 PM
I hadn't heard of him going in rd. 2 before Saturday. Any video I saw of him he looked good but we'll have to see come September.

hmm, every mock I saw had him going 2nd round. A few to the Pats and a few to the Dolphins. He's probably a year away though, but bowens will be 'ok' for one year.

DAWGPOUND
04-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Veikune!! I love him already. Military son, high motor, tuff guy, who thinks the weight room is a sanctuary...I LOVE HIM...sign me up for a jersey!

I hope he brings some tuffness to the team

Throw him in the fire already...I think we are an 8 and 8 team now...that is still not the playoffs...throw him in the fire

Son of Prodigy
04-30-2009, 03:18 PM
a couple articles i read said he is a better version of Teddy Bruschi and thats why many people thought he would be going to the patriots. similar skill sets

Son of Prodigy
04-30-2009, 03:19 PM
just noticed that it is at the bottom of the opening article... nevermind the previous post