PDA

View Full Version : Saw Zumaya pitch with the Hens

hoog
04-24-2009, 07:41 AM
On Wednesday I saw Zumaya pitch live for the first time in years. While he looked good I have one caution. When he pitched Tuesday he was in the 100mph area but on the night I saw him he topped out at 94mph. Two things, one is he doing it on purpose to slow things down? Two, is it a weak arm throwing two nights in a row? I don't know. He looked awful tough with a great, great, breaking ball. He also threw stikes, which was a great sign. The decrease in velocity is the only red flag I saw, otherwise, he's definately ready to go back up to Detroit and it sounds as if he will replace Bonine this weekend. My fingers are crossed!

Bondomania
04-24-2009, 10:36 AM
I have heard throughout spring that they want zoom in the 94-98 range.. they don't want him maxxing out every pitch until he needs it. But it also could be a stamina issue.. who knows.. but i think they want him to take a little off to get more command and more movement on his pitches.. and to save his arm considering how injury prone he is..

stanpapi
04-24-2009, 01:52 PM
...I wanted to see his endurance tested down there a little more. At this point (in both the season and his recovery), why are they rushing this by calling him up right away? I'd like to see the guy hold up down there for six weeks, that's all.

Anyway, good report, Hoog, thank you.

theDETROITfan
04-26-2009, 12:13 AM
well starting tonight we can watch him with the old english D on his chest finally!