PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Braves @ Cincinnati Reds (4/24-4/26)

BRAVE KID
04-23-2009, 06:28 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm301/ceser2008/A.gif@http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/quads_2008/reds.jpg

Atlanta Braves (http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=atl) @ Cincinnati Reds (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=cin)

Friday, April 24 Great American Ball Park | 7:10 PM ET

Javier Vazquez, RHP (http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=134320) (1-1, 3.00) Braves (7-8) @ Edinson Volquez, RHP (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=450172) (2-1, 6.46) Reds (9-6)

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/players/65/3786.jpgvshttp://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/players/65/6401.jpg

Scouting Report:

http://a.espncdn.com/media/apphoto/fb09d224-3933-4d81-b083-fd493d908cd3_thumbnail.jpg

Braves: Vazquez notched his first win of the season while notching eight strikeouts in six scoreless innings against the Pirates on Sunday. He has proven effective with six strong innings during each of his first three starts, but he wants to prove more efficient to cut down on his early pitch count. As a flyball pitcher, he's seemingly prone to encounter problems at Cincinnati's Great American Ball Park. But in his only start there on Aug. 20, 2005, he allowed just one run in eight innings.

http://a.espncdn.com/media/apphoto/e96d9d3b-2d42-4962-8a36-e17e4ce42574_thumbnail.jpg

Reds: Volquez was better than in his first two outings on Sunday vs. the Astros when he pitched six innings and gave up one run, three hits and five walks with seven strikeouts. He threw 104 pitches and still has some work to do at economizing his pitches. However, the right-hander had better command of his fastball, which reached 97-98 mph. His changeup was also very effective. In two previous starts vs. the Braves, Volquez is 0-1 with a 2.25 ERA. Over 12 innings, he walked five and struck out 16.

Saturday, April 25 Great American Ball Park | 1:10 PM ET

Derek Lowe, RHP (http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=117955) (1-1, 3.27) Braves (7-8) @ Bronson Arroyo, RHP (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=276520) (3-0, 4.19) Reds (9-6)

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/players/65/3640.jpgvs http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/players/65/4416.jpg

Scouting Report:

http://a.espncdn.com/media/apphoto/c3a92766-ec69-47ef-a1fc-ca87dfec46e0_thumbnail.jpg

Braves: Lowe is 3-1 with a 2.86 ERA in four career starts against the Reds. In his lone start at Great American Ball Park last year, he tossed 5 1/3 innings, allowing one run and three hits.

http://a.espncdn.com/media/apphoto/2d046e0f-5287-4fc6-8e5f-25b5e1c09ebc_thumbnail.jpg

Reds: With a 4-3 victory on Monday at Houston, Arroyo became the first Reds starter to get off to a 3-0 start since Mike Remlinger in 1997. Arroyo worked seven innings and allowed three earned runs on nine hits, walking none and striking out six. With his sinker working well, the right-hander induced 10 ground-ball outs and two double plays. Using only 81 pitches, Arroyo indicated to manager Dusty Baker that he was spent.

Sunday, April 26 Great American Ball Park | 1:10 PM ET

To be announced Braves (7-8) @ Micah Owings, RHP (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?roster_year=2009&player_id=452249&c_id=cin) (0-2, 5.59) Reds (9-6)

Scouting Report:

http://a.espncdn.com/media/apphoto/5cc52d02-ddaf-4d1a-89ab-a536849cd938_thumbnail.jpg

Reds: During a 7-2 loss to the Cubs on Tuesday, Owings worked 4 2/3 innings, with two of his five runs earned on five hits. He walked four and struck out three. After a slow start, he started cruising through the third and fourth innings but hit a wall in the fifth. Back-to-back one-out walks were followed by an error and led to three runs that chased him from the mound. In two career starts vs. Atlanta, Owings is 2-0 with a 3.46 ERA.

BRAVE KID
04-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Braves head to Cincy with solid bullpen
Atlanta (7-8) at Cincinnati (8-6), Friday, 7:10 p.m. ET

The bullpen has been causing a lot of problems for the Braves this season. But now it's starting to cause trouble for other teams.

Atlanta's relievers delighted manager Bobby Cox with their performance in the three-game series against the Nationals. They combined to strike out 12 and walk only four in 6 1/3 scoreless innings.

In addition, they gave up just three hits. The Braves' bullpen had a high 6.48 ERA entering Wednesday's game but closed the door with 1 1/3 scoreless innings.

It kept the team in the game throughout the series with Washington.

"Our bullpen was excellent," Cox said. "It's going to be a bullpen. It's going to be a strong point of the team."

The Braves' bullpen ranked 15th in the NL and 23rd in the Majors in ERA entering Wednesday, but now has given up only two homers in 43 innings -- and that ranked second in the National League.

With an off-day Thursday, the bullpen will be fully rested when the Braves take on the Reds in Cincinnati on Friday at 7:10 p.m. ET. But that might not be necessary, as the scheduled starter, Javier Vazquez, has thrown six innings in each of his first three outings.

Pitching matchup
ATL: RHP Javier Vazquez (1-1, 3.00 ERA)
Vazquez notched his first win of the season while notching eight strikeouts in six scoreless innings against the Pirates on Sunday. He has proven effective with six strong innings during each of his first three starts, but he wants to prove more efficient to cut down on his pitch count. As a fly-ball pitcher, he could encounter problems at Cincinnati's Great American Ball Park. But in his only start there on Aug. 20, 2005, he allowed just one run in eight innings.

CIN: RHP Edinson Volquez (2-1, 6.46 ERA)
Volquez showed signs of improvement on Sunday against the Astros when he pitched six innings and gave up one run, four hits and five walks with seven strikeouts. He threw 104 pitches and still has some work to do at economizing. However, the right-hander had better command of his fastball, which reached 97-98 mph. His changeup was also very effective. In two previous starts vs. the Braves, Volquez is 0-1 with a 2.25 ERA. Over 12 innings, he walked five and struck out 16.

Tidbits
Wednesday's 1-0 victory over the Nationals was just the second for the Braves in their past seven games. ... Jeff Francoeur continued his recent hot streak, lifting his batting average to .317 with a 2-for-4 effort in Wednesday's win. ... Reliever Mike Gonzalez got the victory despite throwing only six pitches and getting just one out. ... Three consecutive Braves walked in the ninth inning, ending with Kelly Johnson, whose walk came with the bases loaded and forced in the winning run.braves.com

hawksd911
04-23-2009, 06:56 PM
atleast we have our 1 day off.

runningcircles
04-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Who do you think will get the start on Sunday? I was of the opinion we wouldn't need our fifth starter this time through the rotation because of the off day today, meaning KK would be on the bump for that start but your article above still has nobody listed for that start. Little worried about Jo Jo pitching in GAB!!!

16-McCann-16
04-23-2009, 08:59 PM
^^^^ i didnt even attempt to read that because that probably would have taken the whole night

runningcircles
04-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah, just looked at it myself, probably wouldn't have read it either if I'd have come across a post that long.

A brief summery of what I said. It looks like the emphasis of our team is going to be around strong starting and late inning pitching. Hopefully our starters will take a large part of the load off the middle relief guys, and Moylan, Gonzo, and Sori, will stay healthy and effective so that those middle relievers will be able to pitch in the less stressful parts of the game as often as possible.

It looks like the emphasis of our offense is going to be getting a couple of clutch hits throughout each game, that drive in a run or two here and there, since we don't really have the speed to manufacture a lot of runs and we don't have the power to sit and wait for the 3 run homer every night.

In that case, I think we need to place as big of an emphasis on total team defense as we possibly can. Notice how we picked up a W in the one game we played solid team defense (last night) but we've blown a chance at at least 2 or 3 wins just because of sloppy defense, most notably by Diaz and G. Anderson in LF, and K. Johnson at 2B. Since we aren't going to be an offensive juggernaut anyway, and neither Anderson nor Diaz seem to adding an overly effective bat in the middle of our lineup, would we be better suited to bring up a solid defensive player to play LF and hit at the bottom of our lineup, or at least bring somebody up that can come into the game in the late innings for defensive purposes, then hit Diaz or Anderson (whichever one is the lineup) in the 7 whole everynight, so that whomever our defensive guy is doesn't have to hit in the middle of the lineup once he's come into the game? Or would we be better served, perhaps, if we just moved KJ back to LF, and had Prado play at 2B on a nightly basis, suring up our defense at BOTH spots, while still giving us effective bats at both positions every night?

Just a thoght, i seriuosly doubt we'd consider doing this unless Anderson continues to miss a lot of the year with injury woes, but I just am very unhappy with our LF contributions so far, both defensively AND offensively, and am beginning to think I wish we just had a guy we could rely on defensively, night in, and night out.

BRAVE KID
04-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Who do you think will get the start on Sunday? I was of the opinion we wouldn't need our fifth starter this time through the rotation because of the off day today, meaning KK would be on the bump for that start but your article above still has nobody listed for that start. Little worried about Jo Jo pitching in GAB!!!On the article that I posted it had KK starting against owings it wasn't up on the "probable pitchers" on the official website..thus explaining the TBA, but for the article KK is starting on sunday.

I think our pen is starting to come together nicely. I still wish we had resigned Ohman 9SHOULD be the last time I mention this!) but hopefully EOF will start to settle in as the season wears on. I just hope we don't have to overuse him because he's our only middle relief lefthander we have out there.Good point on EOF, hoping we don't have to overuse him but Cox (suprisingly) is doing a good job of not doing exactly that. Only twice so far has he pitched a full inning or more, out of his first 6 appearances he had 2 back to back appearances, the others he got a day of rest in between. He got a full 5 days of rest before his recent inning of work against the nats (4/20). So at the moment, I think we are doing a good job of not overusing our only lefty MR.

He has been good so far, .250 opponet average against him and a whopping 10.00 GO/AO ratio.

I hope we can find a good blend of middle relief guys, whether they are already on the roster, or whether we bring them up from the minors. Anybody know how Mendlen or Acosta have pitched so far this year? I think they could be dynamic pitchers as long as they aren't overused or put out there in the more pressure packed moments of the game, which they shouldn't have to be as long as the injury bug doesn't bite. I DESPISE Jeff Bennett.I am not too fond of bennett as well, hate when he comes into tight situations, it's tough to trust in the guy when he gets hit all the time. Opponets are hitting .400 off of him, given up 14 hits in 8 innings, only thing that is saving him is the 2.00 GO/AO ratio. It is really difficult to trust him in tight situations

Medlen, 13.2 IP, 6 hits, 2 runs (earned), 16/1 K/BB, 0.51 WHIP, 3 games appeared (2 GS). 1.32 ERA He is actually looking more impressive than hanson

Acosta- 6 G, 8.2 IP, 5 hits, 3 runs (earned), 2 HR's, 6/4 K/BB, 1.04 WHIP.
Not getting many strikeouts and his control is still questionable. 4 walks in 8.2 IP is too much...(in his appearance tonight he just went 2 innings, gave up 4 hits, 2 runs (earned), K, HR. So these numbers will get worse.

Now a reliever to be keeping your eye on in gwinnett is Luis valdez (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Luis%20Valdez&pos=P&sid=t431&t=p_pbp&pid=446003). The 25 year old closer has got a big arm, he was the closer last year for Mississippi and he is the closer for gwinnett. small sample size but definately a guy to keep an eye on, if Sori/gonzo walk, he could be in our pen next year.

I'm ecstatic about our starting rotation so far. I'm still unsure about how Kawakami will hold up over the course of the year, and I'm also a little worried about how many bombs he may give up this year, but I absolutely love the difference in speeds he has on his pitches, going from 88-89 on his fastball, all the way down to the high 60's on his curve. Also think his slider and changeup have proven to be very effective pitches. Haven't seen his jaskljdas0o32 pitch, or whatever his japanese style pitch is, but I have noticed a couple of pitches that look sort of like screwballs, just haven't seen enough to have an opinion on it.

I am a little surprised I haven't seen him throw his cutter more often..at least when I watch him pitch I don't see him use it often..or maybe he has but it hasn't been effective. IDK, but if he can get his cutter to be effective that would improve his game.

As for our offense, I don't have a good enough read on the team yet to have a good opinion on it yet. It's obviously been extremely frustrating the last 10 or so days, but everybody already knows that! What I'm guessing? They won't be as hot as they were the first week of the season, but they can't be as bad as they've been the last week and a half of the season, so hopefull they'll settle in somewhere in between, which I guess is what I really expected out of them to start. I just wish they wouldn't all get hot, and all get cold, at exactly the same time. Makes for a tough way to win games when they're cold! Got to get consistent production from the top of the lineup, it makes it really difficult for everyone else when KJ and esco are not getting on. Also they have very poor pitch selection, really really poor pitch selection that is just killing them, and aggravating everyone who witnesses it.

braveMania
04-24-2009, 01:36 AM
alright braves..really gotta take 2 outta 3 atleast..im goin up to cinci for the sat and sun games..GO BRAVES!

runningcircles
04-24-2009, 11:11 AM
^^Thanks for the EOF stats, I didn't realize just how effective he's been for us so far.

One thing I like about our rotation this year, which is why it's so freaking frustrating that we can't find a way to score 4 to 5 runs a game, is that it seems like we've always got 3 guys going out there every series that will give us a chance! Last series, it was Lowe, KK, and JJ. Now, it's Vaz, Lowe, and KK we're running out there. If we can find a productive number 5 guy somewhere between here and Gwinnett, we should go into just about every game thinking we have a shot. Can't ask for much more than that.

runningcircles
04-24-2009, 06:05 PM
What do you guys think of going ahead and making the move to let Schafer hit leadoff, allowing KJ to hit in a better run producing spot in the lineup? It's not like the lineup has been exactly teeing off lately, and I realize it may put unwanted pressure on Schafer, but right now there has to be a lot of pressure on everybody doesn't there? Why not try to mix it up a little and let both Schafer and KJ do what they do best? I don't even think Jordan's attempted a stolen base yet this season, and KJ's back to doing what he normally does in the leadoff spot....struggle. Let Schafer leadoff, put Jones in the 8 hole, and plug KJ in either before or right after Frenchy, depending on how we want to break up our left handed bats.

leftie5
04-24-2009, 08:44 PM
We have no hits, but a 2-1 lead. lol It would be nice to give our pitchers more than 1-2 runs a ball game.

16-McCann-16
04-24-2009, 08:44 PM
yall see yunel and volquez go at it ???

leftie5
04-24-2009, 08:50 PM
yall see yunel and volquez go at it ???

I am watching gamecast, so it's not live. It said there was an on field delay after Yuni got hit, so now I know why. lol

leftie5
04-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Nice Frenchy! Who knew he would be our best hitter so far this season.

AustinTheGreat
04-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Ya frenchy is having a great year. I'm liking it.

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 10:07 PM
interesting game so far..kind of mind boggling actually.

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 10:09 PM
at least esco has gotten on base twice in this one, still having trouble hitting.

Slash
04-24-2009, 10:25 PM
16 posts?

hehe.

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 10:26 PM
so moylan comes in in the 7th gets two quick outs then runs into some trouble putting guys on first and second with a walk and an error, he gets out of it. Sori just couldn't consistently throw a strike gave up a run on a sacrifice fly to franky, but he gave up no more damage. 4-3

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 10:27 PM
16 posts?

hehe.it's funny I suppose?

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 10:30 PM
great back to back at-bats, CJ flied out (0-5 CJ WHAT:speechless:), kotchman draws an eight pitch walk. this is against rhodes

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 10:33 PM
franky putting up a good at-bat..7 pitches here 2-2 count

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 10:37 PM
it looks like matt just missed one there. Even though it is a zero on the board I can't be that upset, the braves made rhodes throw 28 pitches, normally when you get a reliever to throw that many pitches you score runs/ something happens. got to give props to rhodes for that one, but CJ, Kotchman, franky and diaz all did a good job working him just couldn't get the results.

KingsFiend
04-24-2009, 10:38 PM
What is up with this?? Usually there is already 9-10 pages of posts by now. Whats up with that???

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 10:39 PM
cobra comes in and gets the first out via K.

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 10:42 PM
gets jerry hariston JR to ground out to him. 2 gone. just to get votto now.

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 10:45 PM
and gonzo comes in a shuts the door. 2 k's in his inning of work. braves win A 1 RUN BALL GAME. 4-3

leftie5
04-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Gonzo looked good tonight, consistently hitting 95-96 on the radar gun. Moylan looked like he is gaining velocity as well, which is good to see.

leftie5
04-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Back to back one run victories!? This surely is an odd season.

Hopefully Lowe can put together a good performance tomorrow and the hitters actually get hits so we can end Arroyo's bid for a 4-0 start.

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 10:51 PM
at least on gameday, his first two strikes on votto were 94 and 96 on the outside corner of the plate, then he breaks off his paton slider got him looking. He really needed this performance.

And the underappreciated Javy pitches another great game, 6 solid innings, 2 runs (1 earned), 9 K's, 1 BB. and the big three moylan, sori and gonzo, like we have been envisioning since spring training got the job done. while it wasn't all dominant by those three they still got the job done.

how the braves won this is still astonishing, 4 hits in 9 innings and 4 runs, patience actually won the game for them. patience. I'll take the win.

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 10:53 PM
What is up with this?? Usually there is already 9-10 pages of posts by now. Whats up with that???plenty of possible answers for this, but what I have noticed for the main part in the past is that I wasn't in here.

leftie5
04-24-2009, 10:56 PM
at least on gameday, his first two strikes on votto were 94 and 96 on the outside corner of the plate, then he breaks off his paton slider got him looking. He really needed this performance.

And the underappreciated Javy pitches another great game, 6 solid innings, 2 runs (1 earned), 9 K's, 1 BB. and the big three moylan, sori and gonzo, like we have been envisioning since spring training got the job done. while it wasn't all dominant by those three they still got the job done.

how the braves won this is still astonishing, 4 hits in 9 innings and 4 runs, patience actually won the game for them. patience. I'll take the win.

It was really odd. At one point, we were winning 2-1 in the 4th without a hit thanks to 5 walks from Volquez. Frenchy got the first hit for us in the 5th with his HR.

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 11:06 PM
oh and did I forget to mention that CJ went 0-5 and b-mac wasn't even in the lineup and we STILL WON? call it what you want, but I am content with this victory, it may mean a lot or it may not been crap. just happy with the win

Off topic: how in the hell do the phils get so damn lucky? this is the second time this season where they are beat but come back and put up a HUGE number of runs in 1 inning.

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Braves win testy game vs. Reds
Francoeur homers; Vazquez fans nine in six innings

CINCINNATI -- Jeff Francoeur's fifth-inning solo homer ended a wild no-hit bid and supported the strong effort Javier Vazquez provided while helping the Braves claim a 4-3 win over the Reds at Great American Ball Park on Friday night.

Francoeur's two-out fifth-inning homer accounted for the only hit the Braves registered during Edinson Volquez's control-challenged five-inning effort. The Reds right-hander issued five walks during a 40-pitch fourth inning that allowed the Braves to gain the first lead of the night and prolong their recent two-run magic.

After needing just six pitches to retire the first two batters he faced in the fifth inning, Volquez watched Francoeur drill a first-pitch curveball that barely snuck over the center field wall. The Braves right fielder has nine hits in the 20 at-bats that he's registered this year with two outs.

The Braves, who have scored 20 of their 21 runs during this road trip with two outs, provided enough support for Vazquez to win his second straight start. The Braves right-hander allowed two runs -- one earned -- and notched nine strikeouts in six innings.

Volquez pitched around consecutive one-out walks in the second inning and seemed to be unfazed after Yunel Escobar prompted the benches to clear with his reaction after getting hit with a pitch in the third inning. But with a runner on first and two outs in the fourth inning, the 25-year-old right-hander issued four consecutive walks. The first of his two bases-loaded walks was drawn by Vazquez, who hadn't recorded an RBI since Sept. 25, 2005.

Matt Diaz's two-out RBI single in the seventh inning provided some cushion for the Braves' bullpen. After Rafael Soriano surrendered his first run of the season in the eighth inning, Mike Gonzalez worked a scoreless ninth inning to record his second save of the season. braves.com

box (http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_04_24_atlmlb_cinmlb_1)

KingsFiend
04-24-2009, 11:21 PM
plenty of possible answers for this, but what I have noticed for the main part in the past is that I wasn't in here.

LOL!! You know what? I think your right.

GLASSMAN
04-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Good to win the first game of the series even if it wasn't an offensive jewel. Our pitching staff is continuing to show signs of life. I thought Vaz looked more comfortable/confident tonight than I've seen him look all year. Hopefully he builds on tonight's win. With a little run support he could easily be 4-0. Very good job by the relievers as well. Hopefully tonight's performance will provide a little mojo. Gonzo was lights out. Good velocity and movement. Huddy was mocking Gonzo's rock in the dugout. Pretty funny stuff.

I hope to join the in-game discussion in a few days. In the meantime keep up the good work.

BRAVE KID
04-24-2009, 11:54 PM
LOL!! You know what? I think your right.My intention wasn't to be cocky or anything just letting that be known. It is just I have noticed over the past years that when I am not in the forum more often than not, nothing is going on in the forum.

KingsFiend
04-25-2009, 12:02 AM
My intention wasn't to be cocky or anything just letting that be known. It is just I have noticed over the past years that when I am not in the forum more often than not, nothing is going on in the forum.

I see what your saying, and I hope you didn't think I was mocking you in any way. You make a great point, and you do bring alot to this forum. I was just laughing because it is true.

Slash
04-25-2009, 12:11 AM
it's funny I suppose?

It's just funny that sometimes games have 200 posts and sometimes games are pretty much ignored.

SilverAndBlue
04-25-2009, 12:21 AM
what's up with the lack of support for Yunel Escobar. It seemed like the Braves bench was very delayed to get on the field. It almost looked like Cinci's outfielders beat the Braves bench to the infield. Then, later in the game, the broadcasters go after Yunel and start talking about how many people don't like how he plays the game. Am I missing something here?

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 12:22 AM
I see what your saying, and I hope you didn't think I was mocking you in any way. You make a great point, and you do bring alot to this forum. I was just laughing because it is true.I didn't see it that way, I just didn't want the intention to sound cocky

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 12:26 AM
It's just funny that sometimes games have 200 posts and sometimes games are pretty much ignored.well at times that is true, I believe it has more to do with how the braves are playing though. If they are winning more people show if they are losing..not so much more times than not. Just my guess though.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 12:35 AM
what's up with the lack of support for Yunel Escobar. It seemed like the Braves bench was very delayed to get on the field. It almost looked like Cinci's outfielders beat the Braves bench to the infield. Then, later in the game, the broadcasters go after Yunel and start talking about how many people don't like how he plays the game. Am I missing something here?Just saw the highlight..didn't really see much there, they weren't bolting down there but the braves pen did smoke the reds pen though. I don't really see much into this. which broadcasters the braves or reds? if they are the reds then that is no surprise.

SilverAndBlue
04-25-2009, 12:49 AM
the braves and I'm pretty sure one of the broadcasters was Joe Simpson. Another thing I noticed was Bobby really wasn't standing up for Yunel on this one. Normally, he would have been barking at the umpire or something. He just kind of stood around and didn't say anything. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 12:56 AM
that wouldn't be the first time bobby has left esco out there. I do remember I believe last year, esco was chirping at the 1st base ump got thrown out, cox was just out onto the field but once he was thrown out he just turned back and went to his bench, without even barking at the ump.

I guess they don't like that cocky style esco plays, they want to take away his emotion in which I don't want to happen. It is good to show some fire every now and then instead of just going through the motions without a care in the world.

lavell12
04-25-2009, 01:39 AM
Good thing there wasn't a brawl b/c the Braves don't have anyone I see as a fighter. My guess would be Francoeur would be the best fighter b/c he was an all american safety and is jacked but he doesn't have a fighting attitude. Yunel has the best attitude when it comes to fighting.

Soriano might kill someone to, he looks intimidating.

nps6724
04-25-2009, 01:47 AM
David Ross could probably kick some serious ***. That's a big dude right there.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:49 AM
How can you forget gonzo. the dude is nuts, he'll rock you:cool: Ross is a pretty big guy

and don't underestimate the japanese, KK looks harmless but he probably has got some knumb chucks or some crazy fighting style to take you down.

nps6724
04-25-2009, 01:57 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090424&content_id=4406174&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

Doesn't seem like anyone stood up for Esco

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:11 AM
well quite honestly what would you say in defense of esco? esco has been struggling, he wants to hit, gets hit instead with a 96 mph fastball to his ribs with that sharp pain combined with his lack of hitting, his frustration comes out a little bit. It's normal for that to happen but you can't really back up esco since volquez was obvioulsy wild.

but still love esco's emotion, maybe not in this case but you still want to see the fire instead of the business look

RabbitMBraves14
04-25-2009, 02:13 AM
Back to back one run wins on the road, 1-0 and 4-3. Its amazing considering that they just recently set the record for one run road win futility last year.

Gotta love baseball, don't ya? I wonder what old Skip and Ernie might have said about it in a bye-gone time, not long ago.

SilverAndBlue
04-25-2009, 02:14 AM
that's one thing that pisses me off about the Braves. I like a player with some fire. Esco is about one of the only players on the team...besides Gonzo, who shows a lot of emotion. I remember last year there was a game where ATL hit a player...by accident and the other team plunked one of our guys in return. ATL did not retaliate back and surprisingly, there hadn't even been a warning from the ump. Maybe they're all chicken ****, I don't know.

I do know one thing though. After Jones spoke out against Esco, if Jones got into it with a player....I'd sit my happy *** right there in the dugout and watch and laugh. I like Chipper but you should never throw a teammate under the bus like he did by calling him out.

SilverAndBlue
04-25-2009, 02:16 AM
well quite honestly what would you say in defense of esco? esco has been struggling, he wants to hit, gets hit instead with a 96 mph fastball to his ribs with that sharp pain combined with his lack of hitting, his frustration comes out a little bit. It's normal for that to happen but you can't really back up esco since volquez was obvioulsy wild.

but still love esco's emotion, maybe not in this case but you still want to see the fire instead of the business look

Volquez was actually mowing us down when Esco got hit. That was before he really lost control and started walking batters in. I think it was the next inning when that happened. I don't doubt some of it was frustration but his teammates and coach should have stood behind him, even if he was in the wrong. Then behind closed doors, they could have talked to him about it.

nps6724
04-25-2009, 02:17 AM
You would just think his teammates would try to sugarcoat it a little bit. Hell, Bobby spins every single poor performance into something positive, but nothing in defense of Esco? I'm not even saying Esco is right, but you gotta defend your teammate in the media! It's a family thing; I can badmouth my family but no one else can, ya know?

SilverAndBlue
04-25-2009, 02:18 AM
On any of our guys fighting ability.....we'd probably get our *** beat if we did get in a brawl. All I can think about is that time Lonnie Smith got plunked and took a huge swing at the pitchers head...but missed. We need a guy like that on the team though...just for brawling purposes...lol

nps6724
04-25-2009, 02:20 AM
On any of our guys fighting ability.....we'd probably get our *** beat if we did get in a brawl. All I can think about is that time Lonnie Smith got plunked and took a huge swing at the pitchers head...but missed. We need a guy like that on the team though...just for brawling purposes...lol

Sign Nolan Ryan. Even at 62 he could hold his own.

And he can probably still hit 90 and get people out.

SilverAndBlue
04-25-2009, 02:35 AM
yeah it looks like we have a team of Robin Venturas right now ;) I feel the same NPS. Even if Esco was wrong, which he probably was, his teammates and coach should have publicly defended him if asked about it. That's the opposite of what Chipper did. Chipper was suppose to take more of a leadership role this year...he get's a failing grade today.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:36 AM
Volquez was actually mowing us down when Esco got hit. That was before he really lost control and started walking batters in. I think it was the next inning when that happened. I don't doubt some of it was frustration but his teammates and coach should have stood behind him, even if he was in the wrong. Then behind closed doors, they could have talked to him about it.I see, you got a point. but this is where it comes back again to the braves and toning down esco.

SilverAndBlue
04-25-2009, 02:48 AM
i dunno...part of me likes a player with some flair. Esco's high strung...as chipper called it...and you need players like that on your team sometimes. If the team would rally behind Esco, I think they could more easily harness some of his enthusiasm.

jmtapia
04-25-2009, 04:18 AM
^^^yep ATL needs players that could bring that dynamic personality to the ballpark...

lavell12
04-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Whether Escobar was right or wrong he is your teammate and you should back him up.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Lowe living up to ace billing

With the injury bug continuing to infect their lineup, the Braves have been fortunate that their starting rotation has consistently provided chances to win. But Derek Lowe and the rest of the starters would certainly like to start getting rewarded for their efforts.

Since proving victorious during his dominant outing in Philadelphia on Opening Night, Lowe has encountered bad weather and limited offensive support. He'll be looking to notch his second win of the season when the Braves face the Reds at Great American Ball Park on Saturday afternoon.

Atlanta will be aiming for its first three-game winning streak of the season. Such an accomplishment didn't appear imminent before Wednesday, when the club won for just the second time in nine games.

"That was a big win [on Friday night]," Braves right fielder Jeff Francoeur said. "With [Lowe] going tomorrow night, we all feel confident. If we get a win on Saturday and move our record for this trip to 4-4, we've got a chance to make it a pretty good trip."

If Atlanta is going to prolong its mini-winning streak, it'll likely have to do so without the services of Brian McCann, who was scratched from Friday night's lineup because of prolonged blurred vision in his left eye. McCann will likely be placed on the disabled list on Saturday.

It appears McCann may have to repeat the Lasik surgery that he underwent after the 2007 season. McCann's ailment headlines the long injury list compiled by the Braves, who placed Garret Anderson on the disabled list on Friday with a strained left quadriceps muscle. The eight position players from their Opening Day lineup have been in the same lineup just three times this season.

Over the course of their past 10 games, the Braves have scored 28 runs and 11 of those were tallied in one game. They've scored two runs or fewer in four of their past seven games. Lowe had to deal with the recent offensive woes, while limiting the Nationals to three runs in six innings on Monday night. With Atlanta scoring just two runs, the 36-year-old sinkerball was dealt just his second loss in his past 14 starts.

While Lowe hasn't been as dominant as he was when he limited the Phillies to two baserunners in eight innings on Opening Night, he has provided the Braves a chance to win during each of his starts. His second outing was abbreviated to three innings because of a long rain delay.

Lowe's shakiest outing occurred on April 15, when he allowed the Marlins four earned runs in five innings and matched a career high with five walks. That night, the offense provided him a no-decision by tying the game with three runs in the fifth inning.

Pitching matchup
ATL: RHP Derek Lowe (1-1, 3.27 ERA)
While allowing three earned runs and seven hits in six innings against the Nationals on Monday, Lowe suffered his first loss in nine starts. The 36-year-old right-hander is 7-2 with a 1.78 ERA in his past 14 starts, dating back to Aug. 11. He is 3-1 with a 2.86 ERA in four career starts against the Reds. In his lone start at Great American Ball Park last year, he tossed 5 1/3 innings, allowing one run and three hits.

CIN: RHP Bronson Arroyo (3-0, 4.19 ERA)
With a 4-3 victory on Monday at Houston, Arroyo became the first Reds starter to get off to a 3-0 start since Mike Remlinger in 1997. Arroyo worked seven innings and allowed three earned runs on nine hits, walking none and striking out six. With his sinker working well, the right-hander induced 10 ground-ball outs and two double plays. Using only 81 pitches, Arroyo indicated to manager Dusty Baker that he was spent.

Tidbits
The Braves have scored 20 of their 21 runs during this road trip with two outs. ... Wednesday night's win over the Nationals was the first 1-0 road victory for the Braves since June 4, 2005, at Pittsburgh. The win came courtesy of a bases-loaded walk drawn by Kelly Johnson. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the Braves had won just one other 1-0 game courtesy of a bases-loaded walk since moving to Atlanta in 1966. That instance occurred on April 13, 1969, when Clete Boyer drew an eighth-inning walk off Cincinnati's Tony Cloninger. ... If McCann is placed on the DL, Clint Sammons will be available to serve as the backup catcher on Saturday.braves.com

this is probably our best shot at taking the series with lowe on the mound for us. come on braves putting up some runs is a good thing lets back him up and hope lowe can give us a solid outing.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 12:11 PM
and I just get the feeling that cox is going to give BJ the start today.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 12:31 PM
KJ
esco
CJ
kotch
franky
diaz
schafer
ross
lowe

no BJ as I thought. giving diaz the shot to be the starter, he has got to take advantage of that.

chrisl17
04-25-2009, 01:11 PM
god early games on saturday suck balls they never come over mlb extra innings

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:15 PM
KJ draws a leadoff walk.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:18 PM
esco doubles to drive in KJ, goes to third on a throwing error. 1-0 braves

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:19 PM
then CJ drives in esco with a single.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:21 PM
kotchman then singles but franky gidp, blew that up nicely. man on third with diaz up.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:23 PM
then diaz swings at a horrible pitch wayyyyy off the plate, two bad out bats from the braves. could of really made this a big inning but didn't happen. 2-0 braves, alright lowe quick easy innings.

beldugo
04-25-2009, 01:26 PM
did you see the face on CJ after the diaz at bat...he was like WTF??

beldugo
04-25-2009, 01:28 PM
uhhhh...expecting a brawl today..

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:31 PM
did you see the face on CJ after the diaz at bat...he was like WTF??I bet, gameday had that wayy off the plate.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:38 PM
ross singles moves to second on an error lowe walks. KJ is up with 1 out

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:39 PM
KJ grounds into a force out, ross to third KJ at first. esco is up

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:40 PM
looks like esco found his stroke, on a 2-0 curve singles to left scoring ross 3-0. CJ is up.

beldugo
04-25-2009, 01:41 PM
yeahhh...chipper homers with two on...6-0 braves!!

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:41 PM
here is the offense, CJ with the jack to right center. 6-0 braves.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:44 PM
then kotch flies out,. 50 pitches for arroyo so far.

beldugo
04-25-2009, 01:44 PM
chipper 2-2 with 4 rbi...pretty good game...a good thing after going 5-0 yesterday

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:52 PM
well lowe making sure we don't have a lead. 6-2 on a gonzalez homer (gonzalez?? seriously?) see what happens when you don't throw strikes.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:55 PM
37 pitches for lowe, gave up 2 runs though 6-2 braves need more runs.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 01:59 PM
so 5 pitches 2 outs, that is what happens when you have franky then diaz hit back to back.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:01 PM
great at-bat from schafer his at-bat combined took more pitches than what franky and diaz did. he draws a walk.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:04 PM
well ross flies out to center. end of inning but at least schafer was able to make him work. alright lowe need to shut them down.

beldugo
04-25-2009, 02:09 PM
well we dont have to wait for a brawl to see players get ejected...dusty baker and jerry hairston ejected for arguing balls and strikes...

beldugo
04-25-2009, 02:10 PM
1,2,3 inning keep the good work lowe..

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:12 PM
after all that commotion lowe gets the next two outs with ease. just what we needed. alright lets go bats.

beldugo
04-25-2009, 02:17 PM
antoher hbp to escobar...i dont know how the umpire didn't eject arroyo this time...

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:21 PM
can't get esco out so might as well plunk him? better not throw out any of our pitchers if we hit them.

lowe grounded out, KJ struck out, esco got plunked, CJ got caught looking.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:24 PM
52 pitches for lowe through 4 innings pretty good. alright bats it doesn't hurt to continue to get runs.

beldugo
04-25-2009, 02:30 PM
wow...diaz strike out again...that guy only hits fastballs...

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:30 PM
franky and diaz have been sucking it up today.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:32 PM
wow...diaz strike out again...that guy only hits fastballs...going to see BJ in there sooner rather than later.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:38 PM
lowe running into trouble now. how did arroyo get on second with a sacrifice bunt?

beldugo
04-25-2009, 02:40 PM
with runners at second and third with no outs...lowe struck out the next two batters..now votto on...

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:40 PM
lowe then gets two k's..has to get votto now.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:42 PM
wow now that was impressive. second and third nobody out then lowe K's the next three guys.

beldugo
04-25-2009, 02:43 PM
lowe running into trouble now. how did arroyo get on second with a sacrifice bunt?

arroyo bunt, ross throw to third , and the braves fail to get the out , at the process arroyo get to second base...

Joe Smoe
04-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Wow, Lowe with the three k's when his back was up against the wall. With 2 runners in scorring position with no outs. Wow

ATLKoos16
04-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Very impressive comeback by Lowe. That inning could have been bad

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:45 PM
the kid with the lead-off double, atta boy schafer.

Joe Smoe
04-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Ross, picking it up in replace of Mccann. I am loving having a backup that can hit!

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:46 PM
then Ross drives him home with a double of his own. he is soooooooooooo much better than corky miller.

Greeklegend
04-25-2009, 02:47 PM
arroyo bunt, ross throw to third , and the braves fail to get the out , at the process arroyo get to second base...

In the Braves defense, replayed showed the runner at third was out by at least a foot but ump called him sfe.Very bad call.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:50 PM
esco is on fire now...wow.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:53 PM
he is picking up KJ's slack, that is how you respond by being hit by the pitch esco.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 02:55 PM
9-2 braves going into the bottom of the 6th.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 03:03 PM
87 pitches through six innings for lowe.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 03:09 PM
franky and diaz a nice fat 0-8 with 2 k's combined, nice production. good thing it hasn't hurt us that much.

beldugo
04-25-2009, 03:18 PM
excellent start for lowe 7 innings 2 ER and 8 K's

atl_braves_fan
04-25-2009, 03:22 PM
franky and diaz a nice fat 0-8 with 2 k's combined, nice production. good thing it hasn't hurt us that much.

C'mon now, Frenchy has been playing well. Everyone is entitled to a bad day now and then. Especially the person that is a big reason the team won yesterday.

Diaz is another story. Why isn't Brandon Jones playing today?

atl_braves_fan
04-25-2009, 03:26 PM
I think I would rather see Lowe hitting for himself than seeing Norton come out.

atl_braves_fan
04-25-2009, 03:26 PM
I could be wrong.

beldugo
04-25-2009, 03:34 PM
I could be wrong.

norton rbi double...lol..

atl_braves_fan
04-25-2009, 03:43 PM
norton rbi double...lol..

in my defense, he was hitting .000 before this AB

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 03:48 PM
C'mon now, Frenchy has been playing well. Everyone is entitled to a bad day now and then. Especially the person that is a big reason the team won yesterday.

Diaz is another story. Why isn't Brandon Jones playing today?but at least he got a hit today, it's all good we are winning I can't get on them too much. and you forget that diaz had the game winning hit yesterday his RBI single was huge for that 1 run win.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 03:51 PM
this is where you put bennett in, I am fine with this right here. gets two outs just needs one more for the victory.

beldugo
04-25-2009, 03:53 PM
bennet stike out dickerson to end the game ...braves win 10-2!!! we win the series...how about a sweep???
something interesting...bennet whip is 2.00 and his ERA is just 1.12...thats just luck?? or he works with pressure??

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 04:10 PM
^heck no, he is guaranteed to give up multiple hits every outing. the dude is getting lucky as hell...imo of course. I believe he has giving up 16 hits in 9 innings of work, opponets are hitting over .400 off of him, again the groundball is what is saving him. Never put this guy into a pressure situation.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Lowe with not only a solid start but a quality start, 7 innings 4 hits, 2 runs, 8/2 K/BB, 7/7 GO/AO got his well deserved win.

got to love what o'flathery did, even if it was in a blow out game, another effective and solid outing. 2 k's. and bennett, with the blow out and properly used closed it out. Good job cox properly using your pen.

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 04:18 PM
esco and cJ combine for 8 RBI's...wow. Esco just went off. Our top of the lineup with esco and CJ and our bottom of the lineup with schafer and ross had great games. The kid with 1-2 with 2 runs scored and 2 BB's love that he is getting on base, ross with 2-4 with 2 runs scored and a RBI

Just a solid game from the braves all around.

KingsFiend
04-25-2009, 04:39 PM

The only thing that bothers me, and please don't take this as a personal attack, just an observation. People come on here and give Shafer hell where he screws up, and you are the first to jump all over that person. Then you say somthing like this. Frency right now is leading our team in BA and RBI's, heaven forbid he has a bad game. Now if you want to talk about Diaz and his .214 BA, be my guest, but lay off of Frenchy, he has done nothing to deserve any flack what so ever. He has shown us thus far this year that last year was just a bad year, and it just seems that alot of people are leaning toward Frenchy and then as soon as he strikes out or grounds into a DP that they throw their hands up like "here we go again."

BRAVE KID
04-25-2009, 05:13 PM
The only thing that bothers me, and please don't take this as a personal attack, just an observation. People come on here and give Shafer hell where he screws up, and you are the first to jump all over that person. Then you say somthing like this. Frency right now is leading our team in BA and RBI's, heaven forbid he has a bad game. Now if you want to talk about Diaz and his .214 BA, be my guest, but lay off of Frenchy, he has done nothing to deserve any flack what so ever. He has shown us thus far this year that last year was just a bad year, and it just seems that alot of people are leaning toward Frenchy and then as soon as he strikes out or grounds into a DP that they throw their hands up like "here we go again."I get a tad bit worried about franky from time to time, these kind of games gets me worried. if he is putting up good at-bats, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. and like I said he at least got a hit out of his bad game, so I am not completey hating on the guy.

to be quite honest I don't really care about the performance, we won big without him so why would I want to nit pick? Just pointing it out, I mean no harm really, just a case of saying something just to say it.

ATLKoos16
04-25-2009, 06:21 PM
The only thing that bothers me, and please don't take this as a personal attack, just an observation. People come on here and give Shafer hell where he screws up, and you are the first to jump all over that person. Then you say somthing like this. Frency right now is leading our team in BA and RBI's, heaven forbid he has a bad game. Now if you want to talk about Diaz and his .214 BA, be my guest, but lay off of Frenchy, he has done nothing to deserve any flack what so ever. He has shown us thus far this year that last year was just a bad year, and it just seems that alot of people are leaning toward Frenchy and then as soon as he strikes out or grounds into a DP that they throw their hands up like "here we go again."

I agree with you man. Jeff is looking really good at the plate so far this season. Everyone has one rough game. Now personally I would love to see Brandon Jones getting a lot of at bats. I have never really been that impressed with Matt Diaz and would really like to see Brandon Jones come in and take control of that left field position.

NBA_Starter
04-25-2009, 10:56 PM
What a Great game today, Esco gets drilled again and then goes yard later on in the game and Chip hits a blast, we are (4-2) since Chipper came back into the starting lineup last weekend! Coincidence?! I think not!!

howiend
04-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Sure would be nice to get the sweep and go home two games over .500.

Greeklegend
04-25-2009, 11:27 PM
And I know its early but if we win tomorrow and Philly complete the sweep of the Marlins....the Braves would be just 1 game out of 1ST place. Not bad from a disastrous beginning to the road trip and some fans were worried. :)

brave/cuban
04-26-2009, 12:12 AM
They Win 3 In A Row.:):clap:

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Our starting pitching certainly is, I just hope we eventually get healthy and our offense is for the long haul!

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Don't get me wrong I want the sweep but I am also glad that we figured out how to win a series again and we need to keep it up! :)

sniglewhat
04-26-2009, 12:53 AM
lets go KK, takes us home with a sweep!

nps6724
04-26-2009, 12:54 AM
I hope KK leaves them Red-faced...

BRAVE KID
04-26-2009, 02:25 AM
Lowe sharp as Braves blast Reds
Chipper, Escobar go deep as Atlanta cruises

CINCINNATI -- When it began with two consecutive shutout losses and continued with two losses against the struggling Nationals, Atlanta's current road trip appeared destined to be miserable. But, while dealing with the reality that they'll be spending the next couple of weeks without Brian McCann, the Braves have positioned themselves to return to Atlanta in good spirits.

Picking up the slack created by McCann's absence, Chipper Jones and Yunel Escobar keyed the offensive eruption the Braves utilized to claim a 10-2 win over the Reds at Great American Ball Park on Saturday afternoon. A pair of homers supplied by Jones and Escobar enabled Derek Lowe to earn a much-deserved victory in comfortable fashion.

"We really didn't do anything wrong," Lowe said. "We played well in the beginning and, what's always encouraging from a pitcher's standpoint, we continued to add on runs."

With the benefit of a six-run second-inning lead, the Braves notched a third consecutive win for just the second time this season. If they are able to sweep this three-game series on Sunday, they'll head back to Atlanta with the satisfaction of a winning road trip.

"That would be big, the way it's gone," said manager Bobby Cox, whose team is back above .500 for the first time since it ended its most recent homestand on April 16.

While winning for the first time since his dominant performance in Philadelphia on Opening Night, Lowe threw each of his 109 pitches with a lead. Escobar began his three-hit performance by keying a two-run first inning with an RBI double that put him in position to score when Jones continued his career-long dominance of Bronson Arroyo with an RBI single.

Jones, who has 11 hits, including three homers, in 23 career at-bats against Arroyo, capped a four-run second inning with a three-run blast that carried into the seats in right-center field. The veteran third baseman, who has battled a bruised left thumb, hadn't homered since hitting his first during an April 7 game in Philadelphia.

While Jones' four-RBI performance was key, the four runs provided by Escobar might have been even more encouraging. The 26-year-old shortstop, who missed last weekend's series in Pittsburgh with a strained abdominal muscle, entered the game with just three hits in his previous 27 at-bats.

But in ending this three-hit afternoon with a sixth-inning, two-run homer that ended Arroyo's forgettable afternoon, Escobar displayed his power potential and also gained a measure of revenge after getting hit with an Edinson Volquez pitch during the third inning of Friday night's 4-3 victory.

"I thought he threw at me yesterday," Escobar said with Braves bench coach Chino Cadahia serving as an interpreter. "[Did I have] extra motivation? Maybe, maybe not. I was just trying to have a good day today, and it's just a coincidence that that incident happened yesterday."

The Braves, who had scored two runs or fewer in four of their previous seven games, had little trouble solving the previously unbeaten Arroyo, who was charged with nine earned runs and nine hits in 5 2/3 innings.

While Arroyo lost for the first time in four starts, Lowe limited the Reds to two runs over seven innings and won for the second time in a span of four starts. The only damage incurred by the 35-year-old sinkerballer came courtesy of Alex Gonzalez's two-out, two-run homer in the second.

Gonzalez's homer was the first surrendered by Lowe in a span of 66 2/3 innings.

"[Lowe] was very good," Cox said. "He got the one pitch up to Gonzalez, and the ball was flying. He pitched great."

Trailing, 6-2, in the fifth inning, the Reds mounted a potential rally when Ryan Hanigan delivered a leadoff double and then advanced to third after getting in a rundown attempt on Arroyo's sacrifice bunt. Replays appeared to show Jones applied the tag before Hanigan reached third base, but the safe call was made.

But third-base umpire Tim Tschida's call proved inconsequential when Lowe proceeded to strike out the next three batters that he faced in a span of 16 pitches. His final strikeout was the eighth of the afternoon and the 1,300th of his career.

"The fifth inning, I think, was the turning point," Cox said. "It was only 6-2 at the time. With [runners at] second and third, he struck out the side. That's doing something. It saved us. The game is completely different."

With three straight wins, the Braves suddenly find their mood much different than it was during the majority of a road trip that could end in auspicious fashion on Sunday.

"Hopefully, tomorrow we can come out and get a victory to salvage what looked like might be a shaky road trip," Lowe said. braves.com

box (http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_04_25_atlmlb_cinmlb_1)

BRAVE KID
04-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Escobar's enthusiasm not fading
Atlanta (9-8) at Cincinnati (9-8), 1:10 p.m. ET

CINCINNATI -- Yunel Escobar has drawn the ire of opposing teams and umpires. But for the most part, the Braves appreciate the excitement their shortstop displays with on-field actions that can often be interpreted as flamboyant.

"There are a lot of people that just show up here and collect checks," Braves hitting coach Terry Pendleton said. "There are others who show up to battle every day. He loves to play the game, and he's showing it. Sometimes people don't agree with the way he plays. But I love to see his enthusiasm. I'd never want to take the enthusiasm out of the game of baseball."

By flinging his bat after recording hits last year, Escobar upset opposing teams, who felt he was showing them up, and umpires, who feared he was endangering their safety. Even though he's been less flashy this year, there's indication that opponents haven't forgot Escobar's previous actions.

Some of the Braves felt Astros ace Roy Oswalt purposely hit Escobar with a pitch during Spring Training. Some others suspected the same when Reds starter Edinson Volquez plunked the 26-year-old shortstop in the ribs with two outs in the third inning of Friday night's series opener.

Considering the control problems Volquez would encounter in a 40-pitch fourth inning, there was reason to believe that particular pitch simply got away from him. But perhaps showing his support for Escobar, Derek Lowe hit Joey Votto with a pitch that seem to have some intention during the first inning of the 10-2 victory the Braves claimed over the Reds on Saturday.

With wins in the first two games of this series, the Braves have positioned themselves to claim their second series sweep of the season and make this once-forgettable road trip a winning one. This trip began with consecutive shutout losses and saw just one win in the first five games.

But with Escobar's help, the Braves have put themselves in position to end this trip with their first four-game winning streak of the season. The shortstop broke out of a 3-for-27 skid on Saturday with a three-hit performance that was capped with a two-run, sixth-inning homer.

Escobar missed last weekend's series in Pittsburgh with a strained abdominal muscle that he suffered while jumping in the batter's box before his fifth-inning at-bat against the Marlins on April 16. While some might deem this ritual as flashy, Pendleton believes that the young shortstop is simply displaying his excitement.

"Escobar flat-out shows that he loves to play this game," Pendleton said. "He works as hard, if not harder, than all of the other guys."

Pitching matchup
ATL: RHP Kenshin Kawakami (1-2, 4.76 ERA)
Since winning his Major League debut on April 11, Kawakami has gone winless in the two starts that have followed. The 33-year-old right-hander has been able to keep opponents off balance with a slow curve that has helped him notch 17 strikeouts in 17 innings. He surrendered one homer in each of his first three starts, and his 10 walks further indicate he isn't showing the same kind of control he exhibited while pitching in Japan.

CIN: RHP Micah Owings (0-2, 5.59 ERA)
In a 7-2 loss to the Cubs on Tuesday, Owings worked 4 2/3 innings, allowing five runs, two earned, on five hits. He walked four and struck out three. After a slow start, he cruised through the third and fourth innings before hitting a wall in the fifth. Consecutive one-out walks were followed by an error that led to three runs, chasing him from the mound. In two career starts vs. Atlanta, Owings is 2-0 with a 3.46 ERA.

Tidbits
When Brian McCann was placed on the disabled list on Saturday, the Braves recalled Clint Sammons from Triple-A Gwinnett. Sammons will serve as the backup while David Ross spends the next two weeks as the club's primary catcher. ... With Friday night's 4-3 win, the Braves notched consecutive one-run road wins for the first time since May 27-28, 2006, at Wrigley Field. The Braves set a Major League record by losing 29 consecutive one-run road games from Aug. 10, 2007-Sept. 13, 2008. ... Chipper Jones has hit .316 with three homers in 13 career games at Great American Ball Park.braves.com

nps6724
04-26-2009, 07:00 AM
I swear, some of these ballplayers are bunch of girls. "On ho, he flung a bat when he got a hit! My feeling are hurt!" Don't want him to fling his bat? Don't give up a hit. I feel the same way about a guy watching a HR. If you don't want him standing there and watching it, don't give it up. I guess it's okay for a pitcher to pump his fist when he gets a big K or induces a DP but not for a hitter to show any happiness themselves. I know they all have egos, but grow up. You all get paid tons of money to play a game instead working at Home Depot. Quit acting like a *****.

noname part5
04-26-2009, 01:04 PM
K. Johnson 2b
Y. Escobar ss
C. Jones 3b
C. Kotchman 1b
J. Francoeur rf
B. Jones lf
J. Schafer cf
D. Ross c
K. Kawakami p

beldugo
04-26-2009, 01:17 PM
^^ yeah!! b. jones is in the lineup today i hope he have a good game..

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Dang no runs early for KK, I thought that would have been important.

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 01:19 PM
^^ yeah!! b. jones is in the lineup today i hope he have a good game..

Me too, I really like this kid!

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 01:27 PM
B. Jones walks.

Thibs34
04-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Sick of people saying that Schafer tested positive for HGH. These reds announcers are a couple a goons.

Thibs34
04-26-2009, 01:30 PM
He was caught with the stuff in his possession but thats it!

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Dang we got 2 walks but stranded them. :(

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Time to get the bats going, come on Esco!!

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 01:55 PM
KK is through 3 innings with only like 35 pitches, let's get the man some run support guys!!

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Base hit to left by B. Jones.

NickSC07
04-26-2009, 02:16 PM
There goes KK's homerun for the game and thats the ballgame. Its one of those days where the Braves cant hit for **** off of a ****** pitcher.

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 02:17 PM
2-0 Reds end of 4, 2 run HR by Bruce just inside the LF foul poll. :(

beldugo
04-26-2009, 02:31 PM
thats not good we can't hit micah owings...

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 02:34 PM
That hit the runner!!

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Thank you!!

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 02:35 PM
We def. can't afford to give up any more runs, I'm glad the umps got that one right but I don't know how the second base ump was right there and missed it at first!!

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Nice stop David Ross!

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 02:43 PM
3 run double by Joey Votto, dang it, we were almost out of that jam! :(

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 02:43 PM
5-0 Reds :(

atl_braves_fan
04-26-2009, 02:46 PM
KK is getting ripped today.

BRAVE KID
04-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Braves fall as Kawakami struggles
Six-run outburst in fifth inning dooms Atlanta to defeat

CINCINNATI -- Hopes of turning a forgettable road trip into a winning one evaporated with the mighty swing of Jay Bruce, who continued his mastery of the Braves while making Kenshin Kawakami endure the worst start of his young Major League career.

With Kawakami once again living dangerously up in the zone and their offense resuming the funk that has hovered for more than a week, the Braves were denied the opportunity to complete their second series sweep of the season and notch their fifth win of this nine-game road trip.

With Bruce highlighting a six-run fifth inning with his second two-run home on Sunday afternoon at Great American Ball Park, the Reds handed the Braves an 8-2 loss, allowing Micah Owings to notch his first win in a span of 11 starts.

"We didn't play well today, but Cincinnati was a lot better to us than the other two stops," Chipper Jones said. "You never like 4-5, especially when you think you should be 6-3 or something. But we didn't play well enough, consistently enough to get to that number."

The road trip began with consecutive shutout losses to the Pirates and got worse when the Braves managed to lose two of three to the Nationals before learning that they would have to place Brian McCann on the disabled list.

Still, with a three-game winning streak entering the series finale in Cincinnati, the Braves had hopes of completing a winning trip up until the point that Kawakami flirted with disaster by consistently missing up in the zone at a ballpark that is recognized as a homer haven.

Kawakami, who has allowed at least one homer in each of his first four career starts, was charged with eight earned runs and eight hits in just 4 2/3 innings. His shortest outing of the season came on a day when he held the Reds hitless into the fourth inning and faced just one more than the minimum through the first three innings.

"I thought he pitched good for three innings, real good," Braves manager Bobby Cox said. "Then he started getting his offspeed stuff up a little bit and his fastballs, and he got hit."

Bruce's fourth-inning, opposite-field homer frustrated Kawakami, who was trying to miss down and away with a runner on third base and two outs and the struggling Edwin Encarnacion on deck. Courtesy of a misplaced fastball, the Reds' right fielder snuck his first home run around the left-field foul pole to give his team a 2-0 lead just two batters after Joey Votto had ended a no-hit bid with a one-out double.

"He got a little [upset] after that one homer because of the pitch that he made, but who wouldn't be?" Reds catcher David Ross said. "The guy was cruising along, pitching a really good game, and then the next thing you know, it's 2-0."

Kawakami, who is 1-3 with a 7.06 ERA, began the bottom of the fifth by surrendering a single and throwing a pitch that hit Paul Janish, who was squaring for a sacrifice bunt. Trouble was nearly averted when Owings directed a potential double-play grounder toward Yunel Escobar.

Because the grounder struck Ramon Hernandez as he was moving toward third base, the Braves were rewarded an out, but also denied a double play that would have denied Willy Tavarez the chance to load the bases with an infield single.

"We had a double play-ball if it doesn't hit him," Cox said. "I'd rather have the double-play ball. If it doesn't hit him, [Kawakami] probably doesn't give up anything."

Taking advantage of a hanging breaking ball, Votto magnified the misfortunate grounder by delivering a bases-clearing double. Two batters later, Bruce drilled a no-doubt, two-run homer into the right-center-field seats.

In six career games against the Braves, Bruce has hit .609 (14-for-23) with four homers.

"I might be thinking about my control too much," Kawakami said.

The Braves, who have scored two runs or fewer in six of their past 10 games, hit .247 during this nine-game road trip. Their offensive inconsistencies proved to be the perfect remedy for Owings, who allowed just one run and six hits in seven innings.

Ross' seventh-inning homer prevented the Braves from being shut out for the third time during this road trip, while Jones capped a three-hit day with an eighth-inning double that put him in position to score on a Brandon Jones broken-bat RBI single.

Owings had gone 0-9 with an 8.54 ERA in the 14 appearances (10 starts) that he'd made since his last win on May 25, 2008. But in three career starts against the Braves, the 6-foot-5 right-hander from Gainesville, Ga., is 3-0 with a 2.70 ERA.

"I thought he pitched real good," Jones said. "I watched the past couple of starts, and he looked inconsistent with his heater and his changeup. Today, he didn't have much problem locating."
braves.com

box (http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_04_26_atlmlb_cinmlb_1)

NBA_Starter
04-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Like I said last night, we still won the series, so I still think we are headed in the right direction.