PDA

View Full Version : Rank these big men

superkegger
04-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Karl Malone, Wes Unseld, Moses Malone, Charles Barkely, Patrick Ewing, Kevin Garnett, Elgin Baylor, and Kevin McHale.

These 10 guys are all pretty spectacular big men, what order would you put them in?

gr824
04-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Karl Malone, Wes Unseld, Moses Malone, Elvin Hayes, Walt Bellamy, Charles Barkely, Jerry Lucas, Bob Petit, Patrick Ewing, Kevin Garnett, Elgin Baylor, Nate Thurmond, Robert Parish and Kevin McHale.

I know it's a lot of names, but outside of your top 5 centers (Shaq, Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, and Russel) these bigs are probably your next in line greats. I probably missed a couple though. But out of these guys, how would you rank them?

Of those you have named, Baylor was the best player, especially the Elgin who dazzled prior to his severe mid-career knee injury. But he was a SF, not your typical "big man" in the classic sense ...

The other fifteen :speechless: would probably shake out in this order: Pettit, Thurmond, M. Malone, Bellamy, Garnett, K. Malone, Hayes, Duncan, Unseld, Barkley, McHale, Robinson, Ewing, Parish, and Lucas ...

You did omit some notable names, though, including Artis Gilmore, Bob McAdoo, Willis Reed, Bob Lanier, Bill Walton, and Maurice Lucas, not to mention the best from the league's inception, George Mikan ... I will leave it for others to sort through and reconcile them on the list ...

superkegger
04-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I knew I was missing some, I'll add em in there now...and you'd put KG ahead of Duncan? Interesting.

abe_froman
04-23-2009, 05:11 PM
way to many to sort through in one sitting

gr824
04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I knew I was missing some, I'll add em in there now...and you'd put KG ahead of Duncan? Interesting.

Yeah, there is not a lot to separate Garnett, K. Malone, Hayes, and Duncan, so, if rings are a major criterion, then Tim could get the nod over the others from some folks. But, in my view, Duncan has been the beneficiary of a nearly ideal, decade-long franchise circumstance [ much like Russell was in the Fifties/Sixties ], which goes a great deal of the way toward fully accounting for his winning ways, whereas Garnett, Malone, and Hayes were all 'quicker', stronger, tougher, and/or more skilled than Tim on the floor -- a simple case of the superb being the enemy of the merely excellent ...

AirJordan23
04-23-2009, 09:00 PM
I haven't seen some of these guys play so I won't rank them. Here's my list:
Moses Malone
Tim Duncan
Karl Malone
Charles Barkley
Kevin Garnett
Patrick Ewing
Kevin McHale

superkegger
05-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Perhaps I included too many guys, the list is updated to narrow it down a bit. :)