PDA

View Full Version : Justin Verlander is done

swissle
04-23-2009, 10:07 AM
What the hell happened to this guy? How could you throw 100 mph, win 19 games in the MLB, then at 26 already be washed up? I don't get it.

cantstopthee
04-23-2009, 01:09 PM
how could you say some one at 26 be washed up i dont get it?

Bondomania
04-23-2009, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't say he is washed up.. is he an ace.. not really. I have always said that i don't see it. I don't think he has the mental toughness to be an ace. Far to often he lets errors get to him and he let's big innings occur. In his defense though.. the defense has yet to show up for him. 3 of the runs he gave up last night should not have occurred or shouldn't have been earned. Raburn had TWO!! costly misplays yesterday that really cranked up his pitch count. I think Verlander is better suited to be a #2 or #3 starter until he learns to pitch. The fact of the matter is all of our pitchers have been pitching away to all of these slap hitters the Angels have in their lineup.. and instead of making adjustments and going inside to keep them honest and prevent them from leaning out over the plate.. they just keep going outside and hoping they can blow pitches by them. If i were Verlander, i would have buzzed every hitters tower at 1 point in their first AB... just to keep them from leaning out over the plate.. which a lot of their hitters do. It seems like it is more just bad game planning with Verlander so far.. but i still think he is far better suited to be a #2 or #3 and take some pressure off of him. I think he will eventually settle in and get 14 - 16 wins and probably have an ERA around 4-4.25. He isn't washed up.. he is just getting some bad luck right now.. i mean his BABIP is like .350 or some ridiculous number.. that number will not hold up at all..

swissle
04-23-2009, 03:51 PM
"How could you throw 100 mph, win 19 games in the MLB, then at 26 already be washed up?"

maybe i phrased that wrong. i was basically ASKING if it could be possible that the guy just had his little window of success and now its gone...with his raw skills he should be a goddamn cy young candidate every year. id on't friggin get it.

michigansports8
04-23-2009, 08:09 PM
What the hell happened to this guy? How could you throw 100 mph, win 19 games in the MLB, then at 26 already be washed up? I don't get it. get your facts straight he won 18 games and thats his high nand what does throwing 100 have to do with anything if anything thad blow out his arm. And hopw can you be 26 and washed up? he slumping bad thats for sure but not washed up not by far. and i should say strougle not slump.

swissle
04-23-2009, 09:08 PM
get your facts straight he won 18 games and thats his high nand what does throwing 100 have to do with anything if anything thad blow out his arm. And hopw can you be 26 and washed up? he slumping bad thats for sure but not washed up not by far. and i should say strougle not slump.

did you watch the guy pitch last year? he got CREAMED all year long, aside for a handful of games that he put together nicely. 18 games, 19 games, whatever, he won a bunch of games was my point.

and i don't know how you can be 26 and washed up. but the fact that he had a stellar season @ 24, then at the age of 25 pitched horrible, and now at 26 pitching even worse...is a scary thing. Verlander threw the fastest pitch all season long at 99.9 mph, meaning he is capable of throwing 100 mph. It has ALOT to do with overpowering hitters when he needs to. He's a power pitcher, and he's been getting ****in rocked!

i hope the guy can turn it around. i was a firm believer that he was solidifying his position as an ace in the MLB. then in 2008 he completely **** the bed, and now is doing the same. it's disappointing, and really doesn't add up IMO. how could he fall off so quickly?

ajsusn79
04-24-2009, 05:44 PM
i bet this is what the marlins were saying about dontrelle before he got traded.

slack_justin
04-24-2009, 10:43 PM
hey thats rough be easy. plus he's gettin payed

swissle
04-24-2009, 11:23 PM
i bet this is what the marlins were saying about dontrelle before he got traded.

thats a great point...lets hope that isn't the issue tho. i'm a yankees fan, but i loved watching Verlander smoke fools. Plus, how could you not like M.Cab and Granderson...f'n ballers. Lets see Verlander turn it around.

MSU Spartans313
04-25-2009, 10:44 PM
you are retarted he still has a whole career ahead of him and he just needs some time to figure out what his problem is.

theDETROITfan
04-26-2009, 12:08 AM
well obviously he was no fluke, throwing a no hitter, winning as many games as he did. he is just doing something wrong that he and knapp need to figure out, i hope he can do it soon, i hate watching him get hit off of like crazy

swissle
04-26-2009, 08:29 AM
you are retarted he still has a whole career ahead of him and he just needs some time to figure out what his problem is.

well he had an entire season to figure it out last year, and right now his ERA is at 9.00...uhmm, considering the Dontrelle Willis comparison that was raised earlier in the thread, doesn't seem too "********" to think that way right now.

FatSacks
04-26-2009, 05:14 PM
He's 26 and it's April. A Mod should close this thread, or at least change the title.

Bondomania
04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
His velocity is back, his stuff is nasty, his problem is mental at this point.. it isn't like he is having control problems.. that was what happened to Dontrelle, started losing command, strikeout rate dropped, and then he hurt his knee.. Verlander has always been a bit erratic in the zone.. but his strikeout rate is at an all time high right now, his walks aren't that bad.. it is mainly 1 inning that snowballs on him and it is his ending.. again it is completely mental.. plus let's look at the fact that his defense has yet to show up in his last three outtings and they have caused his pitch count to be higher than it should at certain points of the game.. he just needs a good outting and i think he will build off of it and be fine..

xjaque360xTiger
04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Well he is coming around. All his problem is is his self confidence. He had a awesome performance tonight against the Yankees and C.C. Sabbathia. He is pitching well this year, as long as he doesn't get shaken.

Hockeytown
04-27-2009, 09:50 PM
What the hell happened to this guy? How could you throw 100 mph, win 19 games in the MLB, then at 26 already be washed up? I don't get it.

What were you saying again?

Cromartie
04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
how could you say some one at 26 be washed up i dont get it?

Ask Dontrelle to explain how.

Bondomania
04-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Dontrelle and JV are two COMPLETELY different circumstances!!!!!! the fact that anyone is comparing the two is just flat out ********..

I think JV answered his doubters last night.. that is the type of stuff he has had all year long.. its just 1 inning has always killed him.. last night he sustained his stuff all the way into the 8th..

If i am anyone having to play against JV in the near future, i would be prepared to struggle. Now that JV got his first win, i think he is going to take off and continue to dominate

Hockeytown
04-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Dontrelle and JV are two COMPLETELY different circumstances!!!!!! the fact that anyone is comparing the two is just flat out ********..

I think JV answered his doubters last night.. that is the type of stuff he has had all year long.. its just 1 inning has always killed him.. last night he sustained his stuff all the way into the 8th..

If i am anyone having to play against JV in the near future, i would be prepared to struggle. Now that JV got his first win, i think he is going to take off and continue to dominate

I agree. Its not like Verlander has had bad stuff and is getting lit up. He has had great stuff, better than last year and has just had one bad inning. That start against Texas was great but he had two errors so it didn't look like he pitched well. He's fine.

swissle
04-29-2009, 09:49 AM
i hope so. figures he gets his **** together against my Yanks though, lol. i'd like to see Verlander go back to his 2007 form, no question. but after the way he started the season, it was looking more like 2008.

theDETROITfan
04-29-2009, 06:06 PM
lets hope the JV we all saw 2 nights ago returns for the rest of the season!

Spencesc11
04-30-2009, 10:16 AM
I think all of us as Tiger fans thought after the world series run that we would just compete with the Red Sox, Yankees, etc. for years to come with nothing holding us back. History should tell us that they just made one of the magical runs where everything fell together at the right time. Our starting pitching was the strength that year and hasn't quite come together since so we need to understand that expectation level should be understood. Miguel Cabrera is a horse who could lead us back the the playoffs in the wild al central but as far as us being a strong threat to win the world series we're pretty far away. Next off season we should get in the market to improve the starting rotation even more. Bullpens usually work themselves out but the rotation is the key to every team. Jackson, Verlander, Galarraga, and Porcello looks solid for next year but we need one more great arm to make this work.

Sam_Quentin
05-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah....i'd say hes done ;)

ShockerArt
05-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Verlander is starting to figure it out again. His problems are usually mental. When he has a rough spot, you can see him start to press and pitch too quickly. Then he starts getting wild and he throws too many pitches. He seems to have corrected that lately, as he's been much more efficient. It's been fun to watch. Hopefully he's turned a corner.

Hell of a catch by Granderson last night to save the win for JV.

garnotm
05-10-2009, 03:49 AM
Verlander, who has a 0.39 ERA in his last three games with 31 strikeouts in 23 innings.

man I wish the rest of the team was as done as Verlander.

scottie
05-10-2009, 09:47 AM
well he had an entire season to figure it out last year, and right now his ERA is at 9.00...uhmm, considering the Dontrelle Willis comparison that was raised earlier in the thread, doesn't seem too "********" to think that way right now.

Verlander is punking you out right now son!

cantstopthee
05-10-2009, 06:51 PM
yeah get that guy out of town,shutouts are not good enough,hit some home runs justin

Lionsforlife
05-10-2009, 11:28 PM
I would like whoever started this thread to start similar ones for Magglio, Laird and Guillen. Because maybe they will all snap out of their slumps then too (Of course Guillen needs to get Healthy first). Seemed convenient that Verlander turned it on shortly after the posting. Maybe Swissle has a magic touch. Here's hoping those others slumping can get out of it (although I can't complain too much, we are winning).

JMDTM
05-14-2009, 05:42 PM
In his last four starts, Justin Verlander is 3-0 and has allowed three earned runs in 29 1/3 innings, with 44 strikeouts and eight walks.

sick nasty

durtee
05-14-2009, 07:02 PM
In his last four starts, Justin Verlander is 3-0 and has allowed three earned runs in 29 1/3 innings, with 44 strikeouts and eight walks.

sick nasty

Yeah I think this is what we have been expecting from him for a while now. If only they could get a foocking bullpen and help this guy out.

MSU Spartans313
05-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Yup this guys career is definitly done. He is completely washed up, cant even hit 90 MPH anymore. (lol) You are seriously retarted to say something like that.

JMDTM
05-16-2009, 11:41 AM
haha yeah i think Verlander read his post and got pissed

MSU Spartans313
05-20-2009, 08:32 PM

Well what is his ERA now??? And isnt he leading the AL and maybe the MLB in K's???

cantstopthee
05-20-2009, 09:28 PM
yes he is leading the MLB in ks

detroitsports22
05-20-2009, 09:47 PM
his last 5 starts have been nothing short of amazing. keep on rollin JV!

cantstopthee
05-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Justin Dirtmurkdirtydirtdirter Velander.

thats my new nickname for him

I BLEED GREEN
05-21-2009, 09:52 AM
lEADING THE MAJORS IN STRIKEOUTS I DON'T KNOW IF I WOULD CALL THAT WASHED UP.HE COULD BE THE ACE FOR ANY CLUB IN THE BIGGS.*WASHED UP HUH*

theoldgoalie
05-26-2009, 01:37 AM

I guess you feel like a real idiot right about now eh swissle? Try being a tiger fan an cut the crap. The guy had the weight of the world on his shoulders last year and had a couple of bad starts this year. Overall, he is still one of the best pitchers in the game. Be a fan....call it right or get off the bus man!

SticklerOfRules
05-26-2009, 04:02 AM
I love how this thread gets bumped after every Verlander start.

cantstopthee
05-26-2009, 10:43 AM
I love how this thread gets bumped after every Verlander start.

i love how verlander is a god

detroitsports22
05-26-2009, 11:32 AM
swissle did have a point when he made this thread, at the beginning of the season Verlander looked just like last year, and last year was not pretty at all. he didn't mean it as of now, obviously no one can say it as of now. The guys on SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight are even amazed on how Verlander looks right now, and they are saying our team looks like the 2006 team

sparty
05-28-2009, 08:57 PM
how can u say hes done.... he was young, he was throwing back then, hes pitching now, no one can have a heathy career throw 100, zumaya will be done in the next 2 years because of arm problems.

Duhman30
05-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Verlander had no run support last year. This year he is leading the Majors in K's and is 6-2 soon to be 7-2 after he beats the Orioles tonight. He would be probably a top 2 candidate for Cy Young except for the fact that Grienke has an era of under 1 and Halladay is having a hell of a year despite the fact that the Jays are slumping big time right now.

cheerio
05-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Good pitching and run support always equal a cy young

detroitsports22
05-29-2009, 08:07 PM
I believe Verlander pitches tomorrow night, Dontrelle Willis is starting tonight.

Bondomania
05-30-2009, 01:15 PM
I hope Verlander K's Luke Scott like 8 times tonight.. i hate that *******