PDA

View Full Version : bobby cox... yea or nea?

g-burn
04-22-2009, 09:15 PM
i work at a sports memorabilia store and i'm always hearing peoples opinions of the sporting world. one topic that completely surprises me is the hate for bobby cox. everyday i hear people talking about how bad a manager he is.

i've never had anything but respect for him. i feel there is nobody better at managing a clubhouse than cox. sure he may mess up on bullpen decisions, but there have been very few chemistry issues under his leadership.

so lets hear everyone's opinion of Atlanta's fearless leader. maybe i'm missing something...

NickSC07
04-22-2009, 09:44 PM
I have all the respect in the world for him and will always be grateful for this contributions to this team but I think the game has evolved and passed him by. I think its time for him to go. See ya in the Hall of Fame Bobby!

Joe Smoe
04-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Four time manager of the year winner, and one of only 4 to ever have acheived that in both leagues. Is fourth most winning manager in all of baseball history. Helped start the Braves 90's winning streak. Not many players have bad mouthed him, although many have taken pay cuts, just to play for him.

All legends have haters. Bobby has a few. I am sure some have managed better, but none have been so consistant. I' take Bobby as the manager of my team, over 99% of the has beens, and why the hell are they, and who the hell are theys!

HoF'er without a doubt, and earned it.

jmtapia
04-22-2009, 10:06 PM
its obvious that Bobby is past his time and just trying to hang in there...with that said any one talking ill about Bobby has no reason to be commenting about baseball in the first place...

rtgthree
04-22-2009, 10:20 PM
He's the best in history at managing a clubhouse. If only he knew how to manage a bullpen...

nps6724
04-23-2009, 12:28 AM
I love Bobby, my only complaint is he sits back and waits too much. When we're struggling, as we are now, he doesn't do anything to jumpstart us. He doesn't hit-and-run or steal or anything. He just waits for the 3-run homer, like he's done for the past 17 years. We used to have the pitching and the bats to make that strategy work, but we don't anymore and IMO that's why we've gone from a perennial 90-win division winner to a 3rd- and 4th-place team. The players have changed but the strategy hasn't.

Coach100
04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Everyone has strengths/weaknesses. Clearly Bobby is great at clubhouse and young player management. His weaknesses are complete unaggressiveness and bullpen management.

Hard to say that Bobby isn't one of the best all time. I respect him, but I think TP may need a promotion soon.......

ATLKoos16
04-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Everyone has strengths/weaknesses. Clearly Bobby is great at clubhouse and young player management. His weaknesses are complete unaggressiveness and bullpen management.

Hard to say that Bobby isn't one of the best all time. I respect him, but I think TP may need a promotion soon.......

I agree with the TP promotion but I will be sad to see Bobby go and I'm sure many of you will be too

g-burn
04-23-2009, 03:52 PM
who do you guys think will replace bobby? i think ned yost should get some consideration. i think we're extremely lucky the brewers let him go last year. i figured he'd be locked up for a while.

nps6724
04-23-2009, 03:58 PM
who do you guys think will replace bobby? i think ned yost should get some consideration. i think we're extremely lucky the brewers let him go last year. i figured he'd be locked up for a while.

TP I think is the heir apparent. I'd love to pry Fredi Gonzalez from Florida. He's got the experience of winning with a young team with us in 2005 and the Marlins but he also has a lot of fire that Bobby had in his younger days.