PDA

View Full Version : Post Mortem

redbird89
04-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Making the playoffs was a miracle anyway. It's a shame it ended this way. Still, I'm darn proud of this team. They fought hard the second half, despite the injuries. This team has gotten the fans back. It was a bad series, though overall a close series. We just weren't good enough, or Luongo was too good. But this is experience for the young Blues. We'll get them next year, especially with Kariya and EJ and DJ King back.

Go Blues!

ink
04-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Things look very bright for the Blues future. Vancouver has gone through exactly the same kind of thing too. IMO Daniel Sedin summed it up well ...

Daniel Sedin went so far as to say they see some of themselves from playoff series past in some of the young Blues.

"If you look at two years ago, Henrik and I were so fired up every game. We wanted so badly to do good.

"Look at St. Louis. In some of these games they ran around in the first period and it took so much out of them that they couldn't play for 60 minutes. That was our problem last playoffs.

"Now we feel if things don't work out in the first period they'll work out in the second and third. Even if we're down a goal going into the third we believe everything will work out if we just keep playing our way."

Sun (http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Columnists/Jones_Terry/2009/04/22/9197271.html)

Anyway, congratulations to the Blues on a great season!

bpmd2k
04-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Well you can look at the end of the season 2 ways. 1 way is that it was awesome for them to get the playoff feel. The 2nd way was that While they did make it to the playoffs, they got absolutely dominated by an OK team, which when you look at it, kind of looks bad and might not have the positive effect that we are all looking for.

I think that the blues did very well this year, but sitting Kariya ultimately killed them. He should have played in the last game of the season and then sparingly in the playoffs like on the PP or late in the game to get some fresh legs out there and worked himself back into shape.

Now with all of that being said, this team has the potential to be really good next year if they get some offensive firepower, especially from the D. Colaiacovo and EJ will provide some decent Offense from the D position. But they will need to address that for next year. They also need to decide on Tkachuk. I think they should bring him back and he likes playing in STL. With Kariya coming back that would really help, but I still think they need 1 more Nice offensive forward as well to go with Boyes, McDonald, Tkachuk, Backes and Kariya. 1 More guy would allow us to keep the "Kid Line" in tact and that would be 3 pretty solid lines imo. Then with an energy line of DJ King and Cam Janssen, that is a pretty physical tandem. They also have some young guys that they might take a look at, so we will see...

I would also like to say that I was wrong about Backes, he really took great strides this season and he developed more than I thought possible.

I would grade this season as a B. If they would have won a game or 2 in the playoffs, that would have warranted a higher grade. Also this season get a B because EJ didn't get any better since he didn't play and also the Mishandling of Kariya at the end. Getting steen and Colaiacovo was a good deal and not trading away any talent at the deadline this year was probably a good thing. I think that a B is an accurate grade for this year. It actually would have been better if they would have missed the playoffs if they were going to play that poorly, they would at least have a lottery pick right now lol.

WrathofGagne
05-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm a flyers fan first and foremost but the blues are my second favorite team because of the young superstar talent on their team. I watched most of the series against Vancouver and the blues didn't look bad at all. They seemed to be putting so much effort into each and every shift, moving the puck extremely well on the PP, like they're known for, Luongo just stole the whole series, it's sad to say. Honestly, I can tell you they put a whole lot more effort into each game than the flyers did against Pittsburgh.

I can't wait till next season to see what kind of team they're capable of being, especially with Johnson back in the lineup and their young studs only getting better. To me, T.J. Oshie reminds me of Claude Giroux on the flyers - small, speedy/flashy forward with excellent vision and anticipation with a great shot. Oshie's probably more of a scorer and Giroux more a passer but I'm looking for them to put up similar numbers depending on who they are paired with on their corresponding teams.

Boyes is my second favorite player in the league, behind Gagne. He actually reminds me of Gagne a little bit also - 40 goal scorer, great skating ability, underrated passing skills. In my opinion, him and Gagne are among the most underrated wingers in the game, with excellent pro rated contracts.

bpmd2k
05-28-2009, 03:05 AM
I'm a flyers fan first and foremost but the blues are my second favorite team because of the young superstar talent on their team. I watched most of the series against Vancouver and the blues didn't look bad at all. They seemed to be putting so much effort into each and every shift, moving the puck extremely well on the PP, like they're known for, Luongo just stole the whole series, it's sad to say. Honestly, I can tell you they put a whole lot more effort into each game than the flyers did against Pittsburgh.

I can't wait till next season to see what kind of team they're capable of being, especially with Johnson back in the lineup and their young studs only getting better. To me, T.J. Oshie reminds me of Claude Giroux on the flyers - small, speedy/flashy forward with excellent vision and anticipation with a great shot. Oshie's probably more of a scorer and Giroux more a passer but I'm looking for them to put up similar numbers depending on who they are paired with on their corresponding teams.

Boyes is my second favorite player in the league, behind Gagne. He actually reminds me of Gagne a little bit also - 40 goal scorer, great skating ability, underrated passing skills. In my opinion, him and Gagne are among the most underrated wingers in the game, with excellent pro rated contracts.

Yeah they didn't play like they were capable, which was due to Andy Murray more than anything. I'm not saying he is a bad coach, but he looked ******** for a 4 game stretch, which happened to be the playoffs.They were also getting out-hit in the first couple games and then they went nuts trying to make a hit out of nothing. They just needed to play smarter. Also the fact that Kariya didn't play in at least the last game was ******** all the way around. Frustrating end to a good season imo.

krazytaz312
06-05-2009, 10:00 AM
I just have to say Congrats to the Blues. I am a big fan and I never expected them to get to the Playoffs this year. I would have love to see them go further, but I tip my hat to them for making it to the playoffs. I am looking forward to next year.