PDA

View Full Version : Rubio in the 09 NBA Draft: Marc Gasol speaks out (Post #4)

JWalk126
04-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Source: FIBA.com (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29926/arti.html)

BADALONA (NBA/ACB) - DKV Joventut's Ricky Rubio is to enter the NBA draft, according to fresh reports in Spain and the United States.

The 18-year-old’s American agent Dan Fegan is in Barcelona discussing the situation with the player’s family and DKV club president Jordi Villacampa.

Rubio will have until June 15 to withdraw his name from the June 26th draft, but Fegan is confident that he will stay in.

Fegan said to ESPN.com on Monday night: "Ricky will be in the 2009 draft."

Rubio played a vital role in Spain's silver-medal win at last summer's Olympics in Beijing and is being projected as a lottery pick.

Spain's news agency EFE also reported Monday that sources close to Rubio have confirmed the two-time reigning FIBA Europe Young Player of the Year is to enter the draft.

The youngster is still under contract for two more seasons at DKV and Villacampa said last week that the team "would be strict" regarding Rubio's multi-million dollar buy-out clause.

JWalk126
04-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Source: FIBA.com (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/langid/1/newsid/29948/arti.html) (Click for complete article)

BADALONA (ACB/NBA) – Spanish international Ricky Rubio has firmly declared his intention to declare for the NBA draft and leave DKV Joventut after the season. The 18-year-old playmaker, who drew rave reviews for his performance in Beijing last summer with Spain’s Olympic silver-medal winning side, has issued a statement following meetings ...

PennyMy#1
04-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Oh boy, that kid is getting so hyped, I just hope he's not getting a bad back of all that stuff the people are putting on his shoulders ...

JWalk126
04-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Source: FIBA.com (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29978/arti.html)

MEMPHIS (EuroBasket 2009) - Ricky Rubio’s fame spreads far and wide.

That was confirmed on Friday when his Spain international teammate Marc Gasol held a press conference in Barcelona.

"Everyone knows Ricky Rubio," Gasol said, "even my teammates who don't know where Barcelona is."

Rubio, who plays at DKV Joventut in Badalona, announced this week that he’s declaring for the NBA draft and is expected to be a lottery pick.

"I have advised Ricky to be patient," Gasol said.

"It's going to be very hard, but he has a lot of quality."

Gasol is back in Spain after a very solid rookie campaign with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Following a 2007-08 season in which he was voted Player of the Year in the ACB, Gasol competed at the Olympics and then travelled to America to play for the Grizz – the former club of his older brother Pau.

While Memphis struggled all season long and didn’t make the play-offs, Gasol started most games and ended up averaging almost 31 minutes.

"I am very happy with what I've done in Memphis," he said.

"I have no regrets to have gone there."

Gasol doesn’t know if his brother Pau is going to play at the EuroBasket. The older Gasol is currently in the NBA play-offs with the Los Angeles Lakers.

"He hasn't decided yet what he will do," Gasol said. "But our aim in Poland is to achieve the maximum."

As for his former club Barcelona reaching the Euroleague Final Four, Gasol said: "I am really happy for my former teammates and I hope they will win the Euroleague."