PDA

View Full Version : Will a lightning fast pg be an absolute necessity for NBA teams in the future?

DenButsu
04-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Money quotes bolded.

The Year of the Point Guard

At Basketball Prospectus, Kevin Pelton points out that just a few days into the playoffs, we have already had an insane list of truly stellar point guard performances. ...

It's a really good point. Pelton wonders if this might be the logical conclusion of a process that began with the league's disallowing hand-checking on the perimeter a few years ago. That placed a premium on speed, and just about all of these guys are among the NBA's fastest players.

Pelton also points out that if you're upset that your team is letting one of these guys into the lane ... realize that everybody does that. That's just the reality these days. Players this quick, with rules that restrictive, make for a lot of dribble penetration. And if you're a basketball fan, that's pretty darned exciting.

It also makes me wonder if we might eventually reach a point where a lightning-quick point guard might just be one of those things you have to have, like a 7-foot (or close) center.espn (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-39-108/The-Year-of-the-Point-Guard.html)

So what do you think? Will we eventually reach that point?

IBleedPurple
04-21-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't think it will get to the point of being a "necessity". I do think it will become quite the trend though. But for versatility reasons, I still expect most PG's to have a decent size, so they will have more defensive rotation possibilities. That being said, I don't think you can deny a truly gifted PG from playing if he controls the game with leadership, just for the sake of sub-par speed.

Take for instance if you have a PG that is 6'3, can lead a team like Billups/Parker etc, but is not part of the new "speedy" trend. Would you take him on your team?

I also think it depends on the balance of rules in the NBA. The rules change, and the players eventually change. Just a few tweaks to the rules could make most teams revamp their strategy on building a team.

Living Legend
04-21-2009, 08:15 PM
No.

But it doesn't hurt.

What is really important is a PG that can play solid defense, hit the open shot, and distribute the ball.

superkegger
04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
If the rules stay the same, then I'd say yes. If you have slow pg, you're going to be in trouble.

chicago lulz
04-21-2009, 08:32 PM
I don't think it will be a necessity, but it will greatly help a team. With that rule intact, I'm sure coaches will adjust their defense to slow down a super fast pg somehow.

superkegger
04-21-2009, 08:38 PM
I don't think it will be a necessity, but it will greatly help a team. With that rule intact, I'm sure coaches will adjust their defense to slow down a super fast pg somehow.

Yeah, its called getting a pg who can match his speed. It's why guys like Parker, Harris, Rondo and Rose are so effective. Not that they're not talented guys, but with the rules the way they are, they just even more deadly. I'm sure if there were schemes to stop these quick pg's, they'd have been employed by now.

Chronz
04-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Yea I agree, teams that dont need a super quick PG are teams that have 2 or 3 dominant frontcourt players.

BTownTeamsRKing
04-21-2009, 09:05 PM
is D-will in that category

McPeak92
04-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Billups, Fisher, Andre Miller, Mike Bibby all have had great success in this league and led there respective teams to the playoffs with average speed at best.

dre1990
04-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Billups, Fisher, Andre Miller, Mike Bibby all have had great success in this league and led there respective teams to the playoffs with average speed at best.

X2

and TJ ford hasnt done much

Jeremy5150
04-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Many teams have always had speedy point guards, but maybe not always in their starting 5. John Stockton was a great example of a longstanding starting fast guard.

Right now, you have some very fast, small guards. But, to combat this, teams could start getting more "big" point-forward guards like Magic or Pippen... who have superior defense, and better shot blocking. When it gets into playoff mode, the big guards can shut down small guards, and also bang 3's.

I think it's a cycle. Once a few teams with big guards dominate a playoff, you will see bigger guards again. Then back to small...

montazingmvp
04-21-2009, 10:17 PM
a highly skilled pg will beat out a lightging quick pg any day...

Jaji
04-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Yup, until a plethora 6'-8" PGs start popping up and dominating them. Then everyone will need a 6'-8" PG until lightning fast ones come back into style.

what54!?
04-21-2009, 10:41 PM
No you don't need a super quick pg but their good to have. I think you need a good frontcourt or a dominate big man more since championships are won inside -out

bahama0811
04-21-2009, 10:45 PM
It's good to have a speedy PG for sort of a change of pace guy. Bring him in with the 2nd unit and just get out and run.

Draco
04-21-2009, 10:45 PM
From Chicago's perspective the benefits of having a lightning fast PG is one of the reasons why they chose Rose over anyone else in the draft. "Paxson feels that the point guard is at a premium because of the rule changes that the NBA made a few years ago."
http://dabullz.com/2008/06/27/john-paxson-on-mully-and-hanley-recap/

Since the PG position has a greater affect than SG on the effectiveness of other positions I think the PG position is choosen as the focus of Pelton's blurb but really the rule changes affect the effectiveness of any quality guard. Take a look at the scoring increases since the rules were implemented in the 2004/05 season. 97.2 average team score verse 93.4 the year before. It's the reason why Kobe can score lots of points on teams that not only can't guard as effectively as previous years but choose not to play much defense at all. I'm talking about the Raptors, Knicks, Golden State, etc.
http://www.nba.com/features/stujackson_bogpresentation_070503.html

It might be news to Pelton, but I suspect that GMs have been aware of how the rules affect the way the game has changed for a while now and therefore draft accordingly.

jetsfan28
04-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Yup, until a plethora 6'-8" PGs start popping up and dominating them. Then everyone will need a 6'-8" PG until lightning fast ones come back into style.

Exactly. If the NBA starts having more of those quick guys, then other teams will just adjust by getting mismatches, having LeBron and Kobe at the point more with spot shooters at the 2, and it will change again.

Draco
04-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Well.. how many examples are there of 6'8" players who have a point guard skill set? It's not on teams to adjust to rule changes by genetically engineering players that don't exist.

jetsfan28
04-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Well.. how many examples are there of 6'8" players who have a point guard skill set? It's not on teams to adjust to rule changes by genetically engineering players that don't exist.

Not 6'8", but 6'6" and bigger, off the top of my head: LeBron, Kobe, Roy, Johnson would all be matchup nightmares if teams started getting even smaller at PG, as would guys like Jason Kidd and Chauncey Billups. Even guys like Turkoglu, JR Smith, etc. would start controlling the ball more.

Draco
04-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Not 6'8", but 6'6" and bigger, off the top of my head: LeBron, Kobe, Roy, Johnson would all be matchup nightmares if teams started getting even smaller at PG, as would guys like Jason Kidd and Chauncey Billups. Even guys like Turkoglu, JR Smith, etc. would start controlling the ball more.

A lot of those teams have been actively looking for point guards rather than manning that position with taller SG's or Forwards. The Cav's were looking for a while, until they signed Mo. The Lakers are still searching. Portland is hoping Bayless is their guy. Even OKC has reportedly considered moving Westbrook to SG b/c he doesn't quite fit the PG position.

I'm also not sure that teams want to get smaller at PG. CP3 and Rondo are listed at around 6'1.. that's probably average. Rose, Rubio and Bayless are around 6'3" and that's a good height for that position. I don't see a trend towards going small.

abe_froman
04-22-2009, 01:09 AM
not really quick,but good.unless the rules change,it will stay/continue on the path of pg dominance..pg=new big man