PDA

View Full Version : Eric Dampier guarentees to put Tony Parker on his back

Joshtd1
04-21-2009, 06:34 PM
http://jacquestaylorblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/04/erick-dampier-tony-parker-must.html

Tony parker scored 38 points Monday night - many of them coming on a variety of layups and runners.

As Erick Dampier, dressed in a natty creme-colored sportscoat with a brown shirt and matching tie, wiped the sweat from his brow he vowed to stop Parker's personal layup drill.

"Parker got into the teeth of our defense and caused problems," he said. "Every time he drives the lane, we have to put him on his back. The first foul has to tell him he;s in for a long night.

"My first foul Thursday night is going to put him on his back. I guarantee it."

Joshtd1
04-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Not sure if this will really effect TP that much, since he is always getting knocked down to begin with....but I hope it just adds more fuel to the fire and he continues to get into the lane like he has been.

Brooke
04-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Dumb thing to say out loud. Wouldnt be surprised if this motivates the Spurs even more than they already were

Spurred1
04-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Bet someone will tell you it belongs in the Spurs or Mavs forum, Joshie. :)

nd4T.O.
04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
As the Diesel would say nobody is worried about some scrub named Erica

luckynumber_752
04-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Hey! This belongs in the Spurs or Mavs forum, Joshie!

Chronz
Perkins now Dampier, whos next

_Sn1P3r_
This should be a fun Game 3. I'm sure the crowd will feed off this foul because it's in Dallas now.

DenButsu
04-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Not cool, but in a way I'm actually glad he said it out loud if he was thinking it, because it will surely put him on the officials' radar screen.

IversonIsKrazy
04-21-2009, 06:47 PM
What's wrong with the league now days. KG, Perkins now Dampier. Seems like ALL the bigs feel cool threathing smaller guys.

superkegger
04-21-2009, 07:08 PM
On one hand, it's not cool that he said he'd put a guy on his back. That's not basketball.

On the other hand, I don't have a problem with it. He's protecting his paint, and letting Parker know if he comes in the lane, he's gonna get fouled, hard. And I mean, really, I've got no problems with a guy who's telling me he's ashamed that they got embarrased by Parker and is going to stop it the one way he can, by letting Parker know when he drives that lane, there are consequences.

IDK, Dampier is kinda a clown for saying it, because he's just making himself a target, but whatever, at least he cares...

b_rad23
04-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Erica is garbage. If he can slow TP down, at least he will have contributed something to the series...

DenButsu
04-21-2009, 07:11 PM
On one hand, it's not cool that he said he'd put a guy on his back. That's not basketball.

On the other hand, I don't have a problem with it. He's protecting his paint, and letting Parker know if he comes in the lane, he's gonna get fouled, hard. And I mean, really, I've got no problems with a guy who's telling me he's ashamed that they got embarrased by Parker and is going to stop it the one way he can, by letting Parker know when he drives that lane, there are consequences.

IDK, Dampier is kinda a clown for saying it, because he's just making himself a target, but whatever, at least he cares...

I don't know, I think it's just kind of dumb machismo that will probably greatly increase the likelihood of the refs calling a tech or flagrant on him. I mean, really, when has TP ever shied away from driving the ball into the lane? All he's probably thinking right now is, "Man, it's gonna be fun crossing that douchebag over."

Spurred1
04-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Refs are probably going to call a tech or flagrant now if Ericka even touches Parker in the slightest. Ericka needs to spend more time working on his slight bb skills, not talking about Parker. If you plan to lay someone out, you don't openly discuss that plan. Just like you don't discuss your pot use or strange sexual practices. Some things just aren't meant to be shared. Do it and stop talking about it.

JayW_1023
04-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Better your back on the hardwood than your buttocks on the pine, Damp.

Verbal Christ
04-21-2009, 07:34 PM
i guess he went from proclaiming himself the 'best center in the western conference" (shaq was in the east at the time) ... to the best fouler? how the mighty have fallen. LOL

superkegger
04-21-2009, 07:39 PM
I don't know, I think it's just kind of dumb machismo that will probably greatly increase the likelihood of the refs calling a tech or flagrant on him. I mean, really, when has TP ever shied away from driving the ball into the lane? All he's probably thinking right now is, "Man, it's gonna be fun crossing that douchebag over."

True. But what else is Damp supposed to do, say he's going to be a lockdown defender on him? Block all of his shots? He can't do a whole lot about TP penetrating into the lane, what he can do, is be a deterent to doing so, by sending him to the deck, hard. It's playoff basketball, no more kid gloves, right?

Probably not something Damp should have given a voice to, but none the less, with the media there at all times, people say things they shouldn't sometimes, or give voice to something they shouldn't. Oh well. If he's gonna foul him, make it count.

Spurred1
04-21-2009, 07:43 PM
^She won't, I bet. All talk, no action. Fouling Parker would require some exertion, and Ericka does not like to exert herself.

Frrrrank!!!
04-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Trying to copy Big Perk, acting all tough. :D

nd4T.O.
04-21-2009, 07:54 PM

Yeah Both are real badass calling out a PG....Ericka needs to call out Timmy and Perk call out Tyrus but they wanna call out PG...haha

IBleedPurple
04-21-2009, 08:01 PM
This is why players on good teams usually don't make ridiculous remarks like this. If it is a quesionable play, Damp will get the foul.

If it is a flagrant foul, Damp may get suspended. He gets suspended, series over.

KG2TB
04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
I think it was dumb to say out loud. I think he should have just done it and not talked about it. Now TP's gonna be fired up, the Spurs are gonna be fired up, and the refs are gonna have their eye on Dampier all game. By this time, the league has already heard and you can rest assured they're gonna be calling a tight game because the NBA has turned into a ***** league. Actions speak louder than words Dampier...you're not intimidating anyone. Do you think Parker is gonna not drive the lane just cause you're gonna foul him? C'mon brotha...let your actions speak and let Tony figure it out for himself...why talk about it??

DerekRE_3
04-21-2009, 08:07 PM
All it's gonna do is alert the refs to watch out for that stuff.

superkegger
04-21-2009, 08:08 PM

Somewhat. Perk said Rose would never have that kind of game again. Damp just said he would send Parker's *** to the floor when he came in the lane. Subtle difference, but a meaningful one.

INeedMyJays
04-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Great now the Refs are gonna be looking at Dampier the whole game

Jay22Redd
04-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Flagrant 2 waitin to happen

Vinny642
04-21-2009, 08:15 PM

These people are on crack, but this is kind of a threat and if hit hard enough my cause him to be suspended.

thedfactor
04-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Tony "puss" Parker doesn't need a foul to be put on his back, he does it almost everytime he drives regardless of contact and then complains if there is no call. The comment wasn't the smartest by Dampier of all people, but I wouldn't mind seeing Parker's *** get laid out despite the consequence. Worst thing possible is getting abused and shown up as the Mavs did Monday night, you don't let that repeat. Either way I'm sure the refs will be extra cautious for the little french man. But Mavs should step up and protect their court anyway. Game 2 is in the past, played like ****, Spurs took advantage, now rise to the occasion.

the_watcher
04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Why do things like this need to be said out loud? Dampier is the same clown that was getting posterized by Amare Stoudemire on a regular basis in the '05 West Semis. I'm not even a Spurs fan but I hope Parker goes off for 40 in the next game. Thats just stupid for Dampier to say. And now the league is gonna keep a close eye on on what Dampier does in the first part of the game. Anything he does could now get him fined or even suspended. Just keep your mouth shut.

D-Leethal
04-21-2009, 08:29 PM
kinda stupid to say that to the media, the refs will be ready for that foul

el_duderino2484
04-21-2009, 08:57 PM
this guy has proven himself yet again to be an idiot

Frrrrank!!!
04-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Somewhat. Perk said Rose would never have that kind of game again. Damp just said he would send Parker's *** to the floor when he came in the lane. Subtle difference, but a meaningful one.

I know, I should of explained myself. I meant Dampier was copying Perk in the sense of making a statement to the media about a pg.

Kaptain Kanada
04-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Perk and Damp are both douchenozzles.

Why do guys have to go and say stupid **** like this?

Durant is hype
04-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Erica is garbage. If he can slow TP down, at least he will have contributed something to the series...

:speechless:

S.J.Basketball
04-21-2009, 10:16 PM
The fact that Dampier has lasted this long in the league has bewildered me. I remember him on the Warriors(as I am a Warriors fan ;) ) I couldn't wait to get rid of that A-Hole. Parker will again school this lumbering no talent sad excuse for a center AGAIN. Dampier has played this way his whole career. It's not gonna change all of a sudden from game to game.

ABOMB_56
04-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Bad move to say it out loud. Now if he does foul super hard, it will be viewed as a malicious foul and result in a flagrant and maybe a suspension. Never put yourself on the map by saying this out loud. Say it in your locker room to get people hyped up. Not to the media

Jezeble
04-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Whatever happened to walk softly and carry a BIG STICK? Oh, wait, with a name like ERICA, I guess he does not have a BIG STICK!!!!

DenButsu
04-21-2009, 11:17 PM
True. But what else is Damp supposed to do, say he's going to be a lockdown defender on him? Block all of his shots? He can't do a whole lot about TP penetrating into the lane, what he can do, is be a deterent to doing so, by sending him to the deck, hard. It's playoff basketball, no more kid gloves, right?

Probably not something Damp should have given a voice to, but none the less, with the media there at all times, people say things they shouldn't sometimes, or give voice to something they shouldn't. Oh well. If he's gonna foul him, make it count.

What I'd point to as a contrasting example is Dahntay Jones (who, for the record, I really don't like, but that's neither here nor there).

When asked by the press about Byron Scott's accusations that he's a dirty player, he said things like (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g9mAGanQzQPX5gsIrlRDWtDKmi7wD97N57P80):

"What Byron was talking about I don't know," Jones said. "It's the playoffs, it gets more physical on both ends."

and

"I'm not trying to be annoying, I'm just trying to put pressure on (Paul) and play hard," said Jones, whose team heads into Game 2 on Wednesday night with a 1-0 lead in the best-of-seven series. "People don't like it when you play hard, people don't like it when you're physical."

Now, when you see him out on the court defending Paul, he's talking all kinds of crazy **** and being all cocky, which is a big part of the reason I don't like him (he does the same with Deron, Kobe, whoever, and often it just fires them up and they make him pay). But to the media, he's saying the right things. He'll continue his very physical defense of CP3, but there's really no point in his saying anything about that in detail to the press. Same goes for Dampier. Keep a lid on it until you're out on the basketball court, since that's the only place where all your talk really matters - the place where you can back it up.

Rome
04-22-2009, 12:36 AM

That's what I was thinking. Gives me a good reason to watch this one. This game could turn into a brawl haha.

NYMetros
04-22-2009, 12:54 AM
I like it from Dampier. Maybe that will inspire the rest of the team to play with more intensity.

Kyle916
04-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Tony Parker guarantees to make Eric Dampier look like an idiot possession after possession.

Vinny642
04-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Dampier and Perkins are both stupid, I really dislike both of them.

Mr.ATLHawks
04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
LOL Erick Dampier...He couldnt knock down a g -spot on a 20 lb *****. No one cares about him why do you think you hear all this Shaq to Dallas Hoopla. Dampier is and will always be a waste. He had one good "contract" year and has done nothing before or after. 2 years from now you wont hear Dampiers name anymore.

king4day
04-22-2009, 11:23 AM
I read the league is going to fine Damp.
Now if he does anything malicious to Parker, his playoffs are probably done.

Kudos to the leage for stepping in.