PDA

View Full Version : Lebron could leave Cleveland for New York if he gets a title.

JordansBulls
04-21-2009, 04:08 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/

If you are of the belief that LeBron James will be coming to New York next summer then by all means you should be pulling for the Cleveland Cavaliers to win their first-ever NBA title.

The thinking is that LeBron would be more inclined to chase his dream of becoming the world’s first billion dollar athlete in New York if he were to leave behind a title with the Cavs. There are those who believe that LeBron wouldn’t want to split from his hometown without having raised a championship banner.

If you are a Knicks fan, you’d like to see LeBron win this year and fall short next season, perhaps even a second-round elimination.

abe_froman
04-21-2009, 04:14 PM
not going to discounted but he/they have been wrong before...

superkegger
04-21-2009, 04:17 PM
At this point, there's no indication that'll he do one or the other. Everything at this point is pure speculation. It's going to be a never ending story next season, need we talk about it during this years playoffs?

NYKnickFanatic
04-21-2009, 04:20 PM
I hate all this LeBron leaving the Cavs for the Knicks talk.

When he is a free agent, then lets discuss it.

:sigh:

Hellcrooner
04-21-2009, 04:25 PM
I think is just the INVERSE, if he gets the ring in Cavs he wont go out.

JayW_1023
04-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Hellcrooner is right. I think if he wins a title with Cleveland he'll be more likely to stay. He is not the type who would ditch a championship ready team for a rebuilding team. If he wins the title in Cleveland he is in the best position to win a couple more.

UK Bull
04-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I though it was to quiet it hasnt been spoken of in a while

AWC713
04-21-2009, 04:31 PM
its not like the source is a new york blog or anything...

colinskik
04-21-2009, 04:32 PM
This is stating the wrong mentality that Knicks fans should have. If Lebron wins one wouldn't he want to create a dynasty over there in Cleveland? If the Cavs are eliminated early or embarrassed in a series, thus proving he can't win it all in Cleveland, it would seem more likely that he would want a fresh start. I'm rooting for the Lakers no matter what the outcome on Lebron's free agency down the road.

AWC713
^^it doesn't matter what you bold and how you block quote it. it's still a new york opinion, and last time i checked, its the NY media...

Pierzynski4Prez

That's exactly what it is.

I don't think his main goal is making a billion dollars through basketball. His main goal is to go down as the BEST EVER. And we all know there is only 1 way to do that. To win 5-6 titles or more. If he can win with this squad this year in Cleveland, I would not doubt that any team could stop them for the next few years, barring any major team overhaul such as the Celtics getting the Big 3.

He will gladly win that many titles, while making anywhere from 600 million plus. I don't think he would want to make a Billion dollars, but settle for only 1 title.

AI4MVP
04-21-2009, 04:39 PM
this is the dumbest thing ive ever heard. he wants to be somewhere where he could win a championship. if he wins in cleveland, that obviously means he could win there. so why would he leave?

abe_froman
04-21-2009, 04:41 PM
this is the dumbest thing ive ever heard. he wants to be somewhere where he could win a championship. if he wins in cleveland, that obviously means he could win there. so why would he leave?

because ny kick beat writers and fans are desperate,so that means it has to come true

goku
04-21-2009, 05:13 PM
2010 is not here yet

Chronz
04-21-2009, 05:49 PM
The only way Bron leaves to New York/Brooklyn is if he suffers a playoff defeat to them. Get er done

TheShowzOver
04-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Well looks like he won't be playing for the Knicks then. The Celtics have the next 2 titles just about wrapped up. That 3-peat is on lock.

king4day
04-21-2009, 05:55 PM

I felt this way too.
Especially if he wins two. Why leave a great thing. Unless there really is just that much more money to be had in NY.

If I'm him and won a ring here, my thinking would be, "OK, what city do I want to go to and leave a permanent mark on (ie: championship). Because in all likelyhood, wherever he goes, rings will follow.

NYKnickFanatic
04-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Well looks like he won't be playing for the Knicks then. The Celtics have the next 2 titles just about wrapped up. That 3-peat is on lock.

Get serious. Celtics wont make it out of the first round.

Kabowdos
04-21-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't think LeBron is going to win a championship this year or next year. I don't think LeBron James is going to leave Cleveland either way. His team just won 67 games, it doesn't seem like they are going to fall apart either. He will win his championships after the KB24 and Big 3 era is over. I don't see any team but the Lakers or Celtics winning the championship this year or next year.

Kabowdos
04-21-2009, 06:01 PM

You don't know what you are talking and you never do. You need to get a life? Been laid lately?

The only reason the Lakers didn't win it last year was because they didn't have two starters Bynum or Ariza. Now they have both of them. Trust me... Lakers are going to win it this year and next year. Celtics are finished hahahaha they are finished. It is over. Have fun losing again.

How did it feel when the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl to ruin the perfect season? Did you cry? ***

Kabowdos
04-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Get serious. Celtics wont make it out of the first round.

Look at his posts, they are all nonsense ********.

azkarraga
04-21-2009, 06:14 PM
buf, that's just too far away

TheShowzOver
04-21-2009, 06:16 PM
You don't know what you are talking and you never do. You need to get a life? Been laid lately?

The only reason the Lakers didn't win it last year was because they didn't have two starters Bynum or Ariza. Now they have both of them. Trust me... Lakers are going to win it this year and next year. Celtics are finished hahahaha they are finished. It is over. Have fun losing again.

How did it feel when the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl to ruin the perfect season? Did you cry? ***

OoO personal insults on a sports forum. Who needs to get a life now. You're not worth anymore of a response.

floyd!!
04-21-2009, 06:17 PM

the celtics are done. they'll be lucky to get passed the bulls!

unfortunately for you, so are the sox.

floyd!!
04-21-2009, 06:19 PM
didnt realize that there was an ongoing battle here regarding the issue. i'm not trying to jump in, but i still agree that the celts and red sox are not as strong as they used to be.

Kabowdos
04-21-2009, 06:19 PM
OoO personal insults on a sports forum. Who needs to get a life now. You're not worth anymore of a response.

Lakers are going to win the championship the next three years. The Celtics are done HAHAHAHA KG how is he doing? Pretty good right?

TheShowzOver
04-21-2009, 06:21 PM
the celtics are done. they'll be lucky to get passed the bulls!

unfortunately for you, so are the sox.

Yup, Sox are done in April. Even though they are in 2nd place now. And people say my posts are dumb.

FaceDown91
04-21-2009, 07:39 PM

You realize the celtics could actually lose the first round in the next 3 games at Chi. right?

Lakers4ItAll
04-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Ring or no ring I still think he is going to NY

Spurred1
04-21-2009, 07:47 PM
So is this thread about the Lakers or Celtics?

Frrrrank!!!
04-21-2009, 07:51 PM

Wow dude, I'm a C's fan and I have to say...shut the hell up. I've seen so many of your posts claiming ******** things. Be realistic for a second, we get it, you like Boston. I do too, but you can admit that we aren't the best team right now and we are NOT the favorite to win the title.

cmstophe
04-21-2009, 07:51 PM
We all thought the NY pundits couldn't get any dumber.

We were all wrong.

INeedMyJays
04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Ugh I don't want the LeBron going to the Knicks. He belongs in Cleveland.

still1ballin
04-21-2009, 08:04 PM

i love you

FaceDown91
04-21-2009, 09:08 PM
i love you

:laugh:

Draco
04-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Is speculation from a Knick beat writer really thread worthy? I thought he was pandering to the desires of Knick fans.. I wouldn't think many people outside of gotham would be interested in Knick fan fantasies.

madiaz3
04-21-2009, 09:43 PM
As far as 2010 threads go this is a pretty terrible one. Everyone in the Knicks forum all disagree with it anyway. Winning will only prolong his stay as a Cavalier, to think otherwise is ridiculous.

ChuckV31
04-21-2009, 09:55 PM
NY can't offer him more money and why would u wanna go play for that organization. Yea all the advertising would net him lots of money but its not like he has any trouble with financials. Plus living in NYC everything is so much more expensive, even though its not an issue for him. Mansions out east cost like wat CC Sabathia just bought for $15 million and out in Midwest its like $3 million

NYMetros
04-21-2009, 09:56 PM

Was this a sarcasm post?

LanceUpperCut
04-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Everyone knows Lebron is coming to Toronto in 2010.;)

el_duderino2484
04-21-2009, 10:28 PM
lebron shoul leave cleveland. there is not one other player on that team who is at all talented. a couple of them can shoot. thats it. hes better off in sacramento
:clap:

el_duderino2484
04-21-2009, 10:29 PM
lebron is the real deal, but he needs help

Jaji
04-21-2009, 10:36 PM
I could see it happening. Makes sense. It would just be another reason to jet.

philab
04-21-2009, 11:38 PM
This isn't news.

This is just one *******' opinion.

Citing this dude's blog is about a half step away from using some yokel on a message board as a source for information.

JordansBulls
04-21-2009, 11:43 PM

Unless he is concerned more about being that billionaire.

29$JerZ
04-22-2009, 12:01 PM
The reality is LeBron can make any amount of money in any market.
Going to NY might improve some endorsement deals but he still has a ton of them already and Cleveland can offer the most money.

The only logical reason why he would want to leave Cleveland is if they fall off because most of their current supporting cast gets too old and are eliminated early next year.
Unless he wants to revitalize b-ball in NY and add that to his resume I see him staying in Cleveland.

Hustla23
04-22-2009, 06:35 PM
I can see why anyone looking to make a billion dollars would want to work in the largest market in the universe.

Ty Fast
04-22-2009, 11:46 PM
If the Cavs win the title will he sign in New York or will he go back to the Cavs?

Duncan = Donkey
04-22-2009, 11:56 PM
hold on, ill just ask him

LayZbone
04-22-2009, 11:58 PM
magic 8-ball says try asking later

jeter_swallows8
04-23-2009, 12:16 AM
i really dont see why any one would want to play for new york especially with what he has going with the cavs.

whitesoxfan83
04-23-2009, 12:22 AM
If he wins a title with Cleveland i think it will be easier for him to leave for New York, because honestly what else would he have to prove besides making the Cavs into a dynasty.

I've heard he is going to get more money going to New York Chicago Or LA from Nike, and he won't go to Chicago (doesnt want to Jordan, wants to be greater) (Won't Go to LA, doesnt want to be Kobe or play for the Clips and compete for the spotlight with Kobe)

The Knicks when you think about it have never had a Magic or Michael or Bird or Kobe or Russell. LeBron would be creating an everlasting legacy there. Or he could go to the Nets and have Jay Z move them to Brooklyn and create and entire franchise's history all by himself.

The Knicks need that one and only superstar, and if LeBron wins in Cleveland i think it will make it that much easier for him to leave.

philab
04-23-2009, 12:40 AM
I've heard he is going to get more money going to New York Chicago Or LA from Nike

Not true.

The rest of your post was just speculation.

There's arguments on both sides, staying or leaving. I doubt even LeBron has any idea where he's going to end up. Until about June 2010, this is a dumb topic.

theuuord
04-23-2009, 12:42 AM
i texted him, i'll let you know when he gets back to me

whitesoxfan83
04-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Not true.

The rest of your post was just speculation.

There's arguments on both sides, staying or leaving. I doubt even LeBron has any idea where he's going to end up. Until about June 2010, this is a dumb topic.

Nike rewards bonuses to its athletes if they reach certain sales goals. According to reports, LeBron has failed to reach any of these marks during his tenure with the Cavaliers, a trend that would likely change were he to play for a larger market.

So while it’s false that LeBron's salary will jump if he heads to a larger city, he would likely make more money in the form of bonuses in a bigger market, increasing his earnings without any clauses.

Even if there were a kicker in LeBron's current contract, it wouldn't matter in 2010. This is because James' contract will expire that year, making him a free agent in both the NBA and the shoe market.

This gives Nike even more power as they'll be able to offer a larger contract if he signs with the team of their choice. This means they could be improving James' bank account with both guaranteed money depending on where he signs and through the bonuses he'll rack up once he gets there.

But Cleveland has LeBron's Bird Rights, meaning they can offer him a lot more money thanks to the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement, canceling out any attempts by Nike to control his destination, right?

Wrong.

In an interview with Sports Illustrated several years ago, when LeBron's rookie contract was coming to an end, one Western Conference executive pointed out that Nike doesn't have to follow the NBA's salary cap and can eliminate Cleveland's Bird Rights advantage.

"He may be willing to sign for nothing more than the mid-level-exception [$5 million] with the understanding that Nike will make up the difference," the executive said.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/107302-nikes-role-in-the-lebron-james-sweepstakes

Don't tell me Nike isnt going to have a factor in this...

abe_froman
04-23-2009, 12:54 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/107302-nikes-role-in-the-lebron-james-sweepstakes

no i will tell you.because lebron will get his money where ever he goes,sponsors are going to fall over themselves to make up the difference between what he gets and what he'd get if nike got its way

Kyle N.
04-23-2009, 12:58 AM
The dude should be making hella bank for endorsements anyway. If he wins a title there, the hell he should go. If not, well then we'll see.

NYMetros
04-23-2009, 01:03 AM
I think he is going to NY no matter what.

charlsdq7
04-23-2009, 01:13 AM
THE KING will prollyu leave cleveland with rings.....

GregOden#1
04-23-2009, 02:36 AM

Nike's headquarters are in Portland therefore Lebron will sign there for the MLE.

Apophis
04-23-2009, 06:29 AM
So is this thread about the Lakers or Celtics?

:laugh:

That is some twisted logic there.. If he wins a title, he will leave to NY... :laugh: when I first read that I was like WTF?

That means we should also be rooting for Toronto to win a title next year or Miami to win one, that way we are guaranteed Bosh or Wade in 2010.. :rolleyes: