PDA

View Full Version : Is it good for championship caliber teams to be battle tested in the 1st Round?

JordansBulls
04-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Is it good for championship caliber teams to be battle tested in the early rounds of the playoffs (1st Round)

For instance,

Here are a few teams that were battle tested early in the playoffs that won it all.

1995 Rockets went the distance against the Jazz in round 1 prevaling in 5 (didn't have HCA though)
2000 Lakers went the distance against the Kings in round 1 prevailing in 5 and eventually won it all.
2008 Celtics went the distance against the Hawks in round 1 prevailing in 7 and eventually won it all.

Here are a few teams that were battle tested early in the playoffs that didn't win it all.

1988 Pistons went the distance against the Bullets in round 1 prevailing in 5
1991 Celtics went the distance against the Pacers in round 1 prevailing in 5
1993 Suns went the distance against the Lakers in round 1 prevailing in 5
1998 Jazz went the distance against the Rockets in round 1 prevailing in 5
1999 Jazz went the distance against the Kings in round 1 prevailing in 5, but proceeded to lose the next series
2000 Pacers went the distance against the Bucks in round 1 prevailing in 5

sep11ie
04-21-2009, 11:15 AM
I don't think so. I think they need to dominate that first round just to get that confidence boost. IAlso when they go 7 games against a team they should dominate it shows weaknesses and exposes flaws.

SpeeMN
04-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Its perfectly fine to be challenged in the first round. Especially in the western conference where the 2 and 3 seeds are only slightly better than the 4-8 seeds. And look at the Celtics last year, they were tested in every series and probably won it all because of the emotions that come with a close contest. If they had not been challenged until the Lakers, they would have lost the championship due to egos.

NYMetros
04-21-2009, 11:31 AM
absolutely. Builds confidence for your team, comradery, and is good practice for when you start facing the best of the best. If you just roll over the 1st round team then you may feel like you can just go out there and go through the motions and you'll win no matter what. You can't do that against the best teams or else you will lose. It humbles you.

Fool
04-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Yes. It knocks some sense into them, they know they're not invincible. As long as they don't burn out before they reach the Finals though.

Brooke
04-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Yes I think it is. It gives them confidence and makes them even better as a team

JordansBulls
04-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Yes I think it is. It gives them confidence and makes them even better as a team

But it also can wear the team out.

still1ballin
04-21-2009, 01:01 PM
But it also can wear the team out.

If it wears them out, then they shouldn't be there in the first place. Its the playoffs!!

what54!?
04-21-2009, 01:03 PM
yes its builds confidence and shows that teams can take some punches and still win

Hawkeye15
04-21-2009, 01:18 PM
for a team like the Celts last year, where its the first time that unit has played together, yes, its good to go thru some adversity against a lesser team. For a team that has been together a few years in the playoffs, doesn't help

king4day
04-21-2009, 01:39 PM
C's showed last year that it probably helps. Maybe they lose to the Cavs by taking the series for granted if the Hawks didn't give them that wakeup call.

bahama0811
04-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I think it's good for a team to have a rough 1st round. It builds confidence for the rounds to come. It also keeps a team from getting complacent. It keeps them on their toes and makes them realize that every team is vulnerable.

JordansBulls
04-21-2009, 02:07 PM
C's showed last year that it probably helps. Maybe they lose to the Cavs by taking the series for granted if the Hawks didn't give them that wakeup call.

I think the Celtics played the most games ever for a playoffs. They played 26 games. Before last year no team won the title playing more than 24 games IIRC

superkegger
04-21-2009, 02:22 PM
I think it probably is. It's something you can grow around, something that can focus your team on the goal at hand. Of course, there are probably a good number of teams that were tested too hard early on and it shattered their confidence. So it just depends on the make up of the team, and how they're tested.

JordansBulls
04-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Well right now the two top seeds aren't getting much of a test in round 1 this year.

op12
04-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Yes. It knocks some sense into them, they know they're not invincible. As long as they don't burn out before they reach the Finals though.

agreed. it may wear them out for the next year but they should be in good enough shape to make it through one year of postseason. i think the celtics run last year is hurting them now. so you can look at it either way, but the tough early rounds makes you play at a consistent high level.