PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 Tigers

theDETROITfan
04-20-2009, 10:01 PM
So far this season I am definately liking what I have seen so far. Offensively, defensively, and especially the pitching. Last year at this time, we were all thinking, "oh boy, this is going to be a long season" but now I don't have to watch every game as nervous as last season, you can tell by watching them so far, they are a much healthier and steadier team than last year, and nobody saw that coming before the season started. With the slow start from Cleveland, the Tigers might just have a chance at the AL central, seriously. It will be a tight ending, hopefully the tigers come out on top. What does everyone else think about them so far?

mmp22mmp
04-20-2009, 10:49 PM
I couldn't be happier with the pitching. Verlander is averaging 95 mph and hitting 97...he will get it going once the defense steps it up behind him. 15 wins wouldn't be a surprise. Edwin Jackson has exceeded my expectations and actually looks like he improved from last year. Armando also looks like he improved but I expect his stats to be about the same. Porcello is the man, hopefully he continues to deal like he did against the Mariners. Leaving the 5th spot open for competition will only make the pitchers better because their job is on the line. I think if we can get 10 wins out of Willis/Bondo/Miner we will win the division.

Oh yeah...and the bullpen ain't so bad eaither (except for lyon)

Da616
04-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Just think if they never traded jurrjens and miller, and other young prospects, theyd have the best pitching staff for the next 15 years

JMDTM
04-21-2009, 09:57 PM
I couldn't be happier with the pitching. Verlander is averaging 95 mph and hitting 97...he will get it going once the defense steps it up behind him. 15 wins wouldn't be a surprise. Edwin Jackson has exceeded my expectations and actually looks like he improved from last year. Armando also looks like he improved but I expect his stats to be about the same. Porcello is the man, hopefully he continues to deal like he did against the Mariners. Leaving the 5th spot open for competition will only make the pitchers better because their job is on the line. I think if we can get 10 wins out of Willis/Bondo/Miner we will win the division.

Oh yeah...and the bullpen ain't so bad eaither (except for lyon)

thats one statement i cant agree with. people on here criticize him because he doesnt have speed on his fastball that youd like to see out of your starter. i dont get that. look at Greg Maddux. He did the same thing his whole career. His pitches are so nasty he didnt even have to hit the stirke zone to make batters swing. thats what Gallaraga is doing. He knows where to locate his pitches and has the accuracy to do so. he has a decent fastball and like i said, he knows where to place it. hes still young, and last year was his first real year of play time. yeah he played with texas but not much. last year he went 13-7. this year he is 2-0. his career record is 15-7. obviously, that stat shows he hardly played in Texas. He got his chance here and showed what he can do. The guy is only going to get better over time. hes like 27 and shows no signs of getting worse anytime soon. I look for his stats to continue to improve every year. the guy knows how to get it done, and i love him

JMDTM
04-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Just think if they never traded jurrjens and miller, and other young prospects, theyd have the best pitching staff for the next 15 years

miller helped them get Cabrera, but if we kept Jurjens man would we be better.

smarkow
04-22-2009, 09:58 AM
no one knows what would have happened if we had kept jurjens. Maybe Galarraga doesn't even get a chance on this team if Jurjens is still here. Its not like he had an amazing year last seaon (13-10). Would he be starting on the Tigers? absolutely. Was it a stupid trade for Renteria? looking back, absolutely. Nothing you can do about it.

dddtfan
04-22-2009, 10:14 AM

If we didn't trade Miller, we wouldn't have Miggy. Go to any Florida Marlins board they hate him and he's stinking it up again this year.

dddtfan
04-22-2009, 10:18 AM
no one knows what would have happened if we had kept jurjens. Maybe Galarraga doesn't even get a chance on this team if Jurjens is still here. Its not like he had an amazing year last seaon (13-10). Would he be starting on the Tigers? absolutely. Was it a stupid trade for Renteria? looking back, absolutely. Nothing you can do about it.

The only reason we acquired Gallaraga was after assessing depth in the minors after the Jurrjenns trade it was determined to get somebody, that somebody was Gallaraga.

People gripe about Jurrjenns all the time and complain about how bad DDs trades are, but then overlook that we got Gallaraga, who is at least as productive as Jurrjenns and will likely be better over the long haul, for nothing.

A Gallaraga that we wouldn't have, if we hadn't traded Jurrjenns. Those 2 trades cancel each other out in the "good trades" vs "bad trades" book. Straight up.