PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown wins Coach of the Year

mitch91
04-20-2009, 01:12 PM
i dont know if this has already been posted but if so then please merge

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20090420#STORY_18151

cmstophe
04-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Well deserved.

pd7631
04-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Good for him, well deserved. Kind of like Doc Rivers with the Celtics last year...he was given a Ferrari, all he had to do was park it(or something like that lol)

mitch91
04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
lol nice quote

yeh i think mike brown deserved it this year. pretty hard to argue against him getting the award

NYstateofMinD
04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Congrats to him, but I would not have minded if Rick Adelman or Nate McMillan won it this year. Well deserved though.

charlsdq7
04-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Congrats well deserved

PennyMy#1
04-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Congrats. Not a bad choice ... I'm already waiting for the bashing-posts that link that award with LeBron James now.

Ni55anpat
Rick Adelman should of got it. I've always believed COY should go to a guy that has nothing or lost something and made a really good run all season long.

Rick lost tmac and they finished the season strong. Lebron made Mike Brown COY, hell put me at coach and i'll win them maybe 5 less games ;)

UK Bull
No suprise there well deserved

Ni55anpat
04-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Congrats. Not a bad choice ... I'm already waiting for the bashing-posts that link that award with LeBron James now.

I'll be # 1

mitch91
04-20-2009, 01:39 PM
yeh a case could be made fore rick but id give it to brown, best coach on the best team....seems like the same formula for mvp

rhaas74
04-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Brown also got the entire team to buy into playing defense. This was their staple, having one of the best defenses in the league. That is why I believe he won the award.

cmstophe
04-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Brown also got the entire team to buy into playing defense. This was their staple, having one of the best defenses in the league. That is why I believe he won the award.

Yup. Obviously LeBron is a huge part, just like Jordan was a huge part of Phil Jackson and Kobe is now.

But that isn't lal there is to coaching, guys. Mike Brown's team defense is the reason the Cavs are where they are; his players, including LEBRON, have bought into it.

QUICKTRADE
04-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Well deserved and hats off

superkegger
04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Brown did a good job, and has coached this team well over the past few years, so he deserves the award for taking this team from a sub 50 win team to 60+. Impressive work. Course having one LeBron James doesn't hurt, but still a good coaching job by him.

Hellcrooner
04-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Nothing shoking or unexpected now stern must ensure Williams wins MIP, Lebron wins DPOY then MVP, that somehow that back up PF they have wins ROY and Ferry wins GM.
Lets trhwo community award to lets say Paulovic.... then stop the Poffs and award the ring directly to the Cavs.

Finally Lets change the Logo of the league and use Lebrons Silouette.

When in Hell is going Sloan to have his COY!!!!!! he is already in the HOF and has no COy , ridiculous....yes he is only 8th seed, but had Williams, Okur, Boozer out with injuries and still survived.

Other good candidates? Pops, Van Gundy, Uncle Phil, Nate,Karl....

great one
04-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Good for him, well deserved. Kind of like Doc Rivers with the Celtics last year...he was given a Ferrari, all he had to do was park it(or something like that lol)

Well, in mike browns case, he has to teach that ferrari to play defense. I really think he is the best defensive coach in the leauge. If not top 3 no question.

Lebron23
04-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Well Deserved.

:clap::clap::clap:

great one
04-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Nothing shoking or unexpected now stern must ensure Williams wins MIP, Lebron wins DPOY then MVP, that somehow that back up PF they have wins ROY and Ferry wins GM.
Lets trhwo community award to lets say Paulovic.... then stop the Poffs and award the ring directly to the Cavs.

When in Hell is going Sloan to have his COY!!!!!! he is already in the HOF and has no COy , ridiculous....yes he is only 8th seed, but had Williams, Okur, Boozer out with injuries and still survived.

Ferry is no question the GM of the year. The mo williams trade was great. We traded pretty much damon jones for mo williams lol.

Lebron MVP no question. He will be DPOY runner up. I think howard will get it because of all his blocks.

Don't be mad man. These are all deserved.

rhaas74
04-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Since the COY awayd has been announced does anyone know when the other awards will be announced? I have been trying to find it online but have had no luck.

td0tsfinest
04-20-2009, 03:23 PM

now thats something I'll agree on. Jerry Sloan hasn't had his starting lineup all season long. Despite Injuries to Williams, Okur and Boozer, he was able to keep them in the playoff race in the west. If their core group of guys stayed healthy all season long, I think they could have finished a lot higher than they did now.

TriberForLifer
04-20-2009, 03:28 PM

This is absolutely right. The team became a much better defensive unit, which is the main reason they were so successful in the regular season this year. Sometimes Brown drives me crazy with his conservativeness, but he's a very good leader and a perfect fit in Cleveland.

NYMetros
04-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Doc should have won it.

He had the hardest job in the league by far. He had to keep a defending championship team motivated, keep them focused without their leader, and keep them consistently good even when they were constantly integrating new guys into the rotation (Marbury, Mikki Moore, etc).

cmstophe
04-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Doc should have won it.

He had the hardest job in the league by far. He had to keep a defending championship team motivated, keep them focused without their leader, and keep them consistently good even when they were constantly integrating new guys into the rotation (Marbury, Mikki Moore, etc).

/facepalm

_Sn1P3r_
04-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Congratulations to BRown, I had him winning the award too.

what54!?
04-20-2009, 03:52 PM
congrats to brown

Wilson
04-20-2009, 04:11 PM

I don't think it's disrespectful to Brown to say that a big reason for this team's succes is LeBron James. Like a few people have said though, Brown has done an awesome job over the years in turning this team into one of the great defensive teams in the league and for that, this award is deserved.

Personally, my vote would have gone to Jerry Sloan. He deserves it for how he's held a team with so many injuries together, and coached them to the play-offs.

Since the COY awayd has been announced does anyone know when the other awards will be announced? I have been trying to find it online but have had no luck.

I'm not sure, but the MVP award is usually announced in the second round I think...

tjlipford
04-20-2009, 04:26 PM
I feel as though he deserved it. Other coaches were close such as Adelman and a few others but Mike Brown has the team buying in to the DEFENSIVE scheme and its working so far and the fact that we were an average team the last couple of years, and now this year we are a 60 win team and have the best record. I think this was a fair choice.

Vinny642
04-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Well deserved.

:cool:Those were my exact words

AirJordan23
04-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Brown probably deserved COY but there's 2 things I don't like about him. That being his rotations and him not realizing that the team often does better when you run the offense and everything goes in the flow of the offense. Brown, in the season, didn't make a lot of adjustments when facing the elite teams (LA, Orlando etc). But, he probably was deserving of COY, can't think of other candidates. Maybe Sloan because he never won one (so as a reward) and he led an injury prone team to 48 wins in a tough WCF. Brown's team did overachieve though. Nobody had them winning 65 games even after the trade for Mo. Defensively, he's a great coach.

TYoung21
04-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Deserved it.

Nirvanaskurdt
04-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Congrats. Great Job This Year And Hes Been Solid For The Past Couple of Years. :)

mitch91
04-20-2009, 05:34 PM
to the guy wondering when the mvp will be announced, well the thing is the votes have already been cast and there is no date set in stone but its usually around round two time as another guy said

well done mike brown

would have been nice if jerry sloan had gotten it though

DJ CHACH
04-20-2009, 05:38 PM
SPOELSTRA shudve gotten it? the nba is so rigged..why does mr. potato head get it, AND lebron....so predictable david stern

EX-TREME
04-20-2009, 05:40 PM
:clap:

great one
04-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Doc should have won it.

He had to keep a defending championship team motivated, keep them focused without their leader).

which he did not do. They still have 2 HOF players, a very good player in rondo, and very quick bigs.

infamous
04-20-2009, 05:56 PM
SPOELSTRA shudve gotten it? the nba is so rigged..why does mr. potato head get it, AND lebron....so predictable david stern

No way, not after the MASSACRE last night.

Congrats MB!

Chronz
04-20-2009, 06:01 PM
I still dont think you should win coach of the year when your biggest coaching move was allowing someone else to handle the offense your team runs. If there was a Coaching STAFF of the year award, CLE would win it.

DJ CHACH
04-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ CHACH View Post

Congrats MB!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

so u mean they based it off the hawks heat game? cmon....spoelstra had a young team, one of the worst in the leagues last year, didnt give a **** who talked down to him, he has his team in the 5th seed after the heat had the worst record...only thing mike brown has done is make every player set lebron picks so that lebron can have a mismatch on a big or a small and dunk on them to look good...mr potato head is pure gay....and i hope cavs make it to the second round against miami, and then we'll c....spoelstra has done more with his team than brown

Jay22Redd
04-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Congrads Coach Brown!

Durant is hype
04-20-2009, 06:09 PM

He was given a Ferrari all he had to was keep it in mint condition kind of like keeping the players well rested and in good condition.

Mile High Champ
04-20-2009, 06:13 PM
I have always thought Brown was a bad coach. Never been a fan of him. Yeah he has gotten better over the years but I think Nate McMillian or Rick Adelman.

infamous
04-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ CHACH View Post

Congrats MB!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

so u mean they based it off the hawks heat game? cmon....spoelstra had a young team, one of the worst in the leagues last year, didnt give a **** who talked down to him, he has his team in the 5th seed after the heat had the worst record...only thing mike brown has done is make every player set lebron picks so that lebron can have a mismatch on a big or a small and dunk on them to look good...mr potato head is pure gay....and i hope cavs make it to the second round against miami, and then we'll c....spoelstra has done more with his team than brown

This is why people laughed when the Heat got raped last night, because of people like you. Overconfident.

Wow, and the word gay mixed in a bball sentence. What's new. :pity:

Jerry Sloan is more deserving than Spoelstra. Your statement still doesn't erase the fact the the Heat got humiliated last night. 7 points in a quarter. What a fantastic coach.

TheHeat3
04-20-2009, 06:15 PM

Lol Yup he was given a Ferrari and all he had to do was give the Ferrari to LeBron ;)

Wilson
04-20-2009, 06:24 PM
I have always thought Brown was a bad coach. Never been a fan of him. Yeah he has gotten better over the years but I think Nate McMillian or Rick Adelman.

Offensively he's hopeless, but defensively is where he makes his living. He really has helped the Cavs become a great defensive team, and that's why he won the award.

This is why people laughed when the Heat got raped last night, because of people like you. Overconfident.

Wow, and the word gay mixed in a bball sentence. What's new. :pity:

Jerry Sloan is more deserving than Spoelstra. Your statement still doesn't erase the fact the the Heat got humiliated last night. 7 points in a quarter. What a fantastic coach.

To be fair, you don't win or lose an award in one game. I think you can make a fair case for Spoelstra (although I think their success was much more to do with Wade being healthy), and you can't forget what he's done all season because of one game...

infamous
04-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Offensively he's hopeless, but defensively is where he makes his living. He really has helped the Cavs become a great defensive team, and that's why he won the award.

To be fair, you don't win or lose an award in one game. I think you can make a fair case for Spoelstra (although I think their success was much more to do with Wade being healthy), and you can't forget what he's done all season because of one game...

I was going to give him credit, he did a great job in Miami. He deserves to be up in the list. But for him to say he should have won, MB is gay, and the Nba is rigged for him to win is full of BS. I just reminded him about last night just to shut his dirty mouth a bit.

GodsSon
04-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Ferry is no question the GM of the year. The mo williams trade was great. We traded pretty much damon jones for mo williams lol.

Lebron MVP no question. He will be DPOY runner up. I think howard will get it because of all his blocks.

Don't be mad man. These are all deserved.

I think the Denver GM will garner a lot more votes then you think...the Billups trade was probably the best of the year.

Wilson
04-20-2009, 06:41 PM
I was going to give him credit, he did a great job in Miami. He deserves to be up in the list. But for him to say he should have won, MB is gay, and the Nba is rigged for him to win is full of BS. I just reminded him about last night just to shut his dirty mouth a bit.

Yeah I can see what you mean, that stuff is kind of daft...

I think the Denver GM will garner a lot more votes then you think...the Billups trade was probably the best of the year.

I agree, that trade was pure gold for Denver.

dre1990
04-20-2009, 06:58 PM
congrats

NYtilIdie
04-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Congrats he deserved it. People say LeBron was the main reason he won, but dont act like Doc didnt have the Big 3 to help him get the award

NYtilIdie
04-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Yeah that Denver trade was the right move especially seeing how horrible Iverson's was this year. If they never made that trade Denver would probably be at 7 or not even in the playoffs, while Detroit would be the same old Detroit team

ARMIN12NBA
04-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Congrats Mike Brown. Well deserved as he did a great job this year.

Wilson
04-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah that Denver trade was the right move especially seeing how horrible Iverson's was this year. If they never made that trade Denver would probably be at 7 or not even in the playoffs, while Detroit would be the same old Detroit team

I think they would have made the play-offs with Iverson. He declined a bit this year, but I don't think people give enough credit to how badly he fit with Detroit for that.

Billups was the perfect fit for Denver though. A leader who can score, play off of Carmelo, and play defense. He's exactly what they needed...

great one
04-20-2009, 07:21 PM

You don't know what i think. so don't put words in my mouth.

the dude from denver did a good job, But we all know that the pistons did it for cap room next season. Did anyone really think AI would lead them? NAAAA. Even the pistons did not.

ARMIN12NBA
04-20-2009, 07:22 PM
I think they would have made the play-offs with Iverson. He declined a bit this year, but I don't think people give enough credit to how badly he fit with Detroit for that.

Billups was the perfect fit for Denver though. A leader who can score, play off of Carmelo, and play defense. He's exactly what they needed...

Why? They started off 1-2 with Iverson with their only win coming against the Clippers. Their is no way Denver wins 46+ games to make the playoffs with Iverson.

Lakers211221
04-20-2009, 07:28 PM
No way should Mike Brown be Coach of the Year. Every year I have to listen to Phil doesn't deserve it because he has Kobe, but Mike Brown deserves it with Lebron who will likely get MVP...it doesn't make sense...Lakers have special rules when it comes to receiving awards!

Wilson
04-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Why? They started off 1-2 with Iverson with their only win coming against the Clippers. Their is no way Denver wins 46+ games to make the playoffs with Iverson.

Three games is a very small sample size, and they did just come off a 50 win season. They definately wouldn't have been as good as they were with Billups, but I still think they could put some wins together in the regular season.

ARMIN12NBA
04-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Three games is a very small sample size, and they did just come off a 50 win season. They definately wouldn't have been as good as they were with Billups, but I still think they could put some wins together in the regular season.

They came off a 50 win season, but they also had Marcus Camby and a better Iverson. Iverson was obviously declining and he would not have been able to elevate others games like Chauncey did with J.R. Smith, Nene, Anderson, etc.

Wilson
04-20-2009, 07:43 PM
They came off a 50 win season, but they also had Marcus Camby and a better Iverson. Iverson was obviously declining and he would not have been able to elevate others games like Chauncey did with J.R. Smith, Nene, Anderson, etc.

The counter to that is that they got Nene and Anderson this year, which strengthened them. Iverson did decline, but I think the amount he declined is really accentuated by how badly he fit with Detroit's team.

They obviously wouldn't have been as good as with Billups. Like I said, he gave them everything they were looking for at the PG spot. But with the other additions they had, I don't think Iverson would have declined enough for them to miss the play-offs.

blah-blah
04-20-2009, 08:15 PM

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20090420#STORY_18151

he deserved it

SF25
04-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Nate McMillan ftw!

Brown did a good job, he deserved it. Still think Nate should have been higher than 4th though.

Er1c
04-20-2009, 09:02 PM
i think either Rick and Sloan deserved it more

soundjunkies2
04-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Well deserved but doc rivers and phil jackson both didn't receive a vote,hard to believe that.I don't understand how they got so overlooked.

Wilson
04-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Well deserved but doc rivers and phil jackson both didn't receive a vote,hard to believe that.I don't understand how they got so overlooked.

The voting is so strange sometimes, I don't understand it...

ARMIN12NBA
04-20-2009, 10:10 PM
The voting is so strange sometimes, I don't understand it...

I know. There is a lot of bias and double standards in a lot of these media votes though...

cmstophe
04-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Because both those coaches had teams in the Finals last year and were expected to be 60+ win teams.

ShakeN'Bake
04-20-2009, 10:40 PM
You don't know what i think. so don't put words in my mouth.

garner did a good job, But we all know that the pistons did it for cap room next season. Did anyone really think AI would lead them? NAAAA. Even the pistons did not.

:laugh2: You do realize "will garner" is not the name of the Denver GM. Reread the post you quoted I'm sure you'll figure it out

JordansBulls
04-20-2009, 10:49 PM

Good for him and the Cavs organization.

Wilson
04-20-2009, 10:49 PM
:laugh2: You do realize "will garner" is not the name of the Denver GM. Reread the post you quoted I'm sure you'll figure it out

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I didn't notice that...:laugh2: Nice find...

ARMIN12NBA
04-20-2009, 11:06 PM

:laugh:

That is hilarious! The Denver GM will garner more votes...

LOL. He thought the name was Will Garner. :laugh2: Classic.

still1ballin
04-20-2009, 11:36 PM
I think Sloan is more deserving. Not saying Brown is worthy, but considering all the injuries that team had, he kept the team together. It amazes me how Sloan doesn't have one COY award.

great one
04-21-2009, 08:29 AM
sloan got the 8th seed, and will lose in 4 or 5 to the lakers. cavs had injuries to Z, wallace, west, wally, hickson, gibson(played threw it). Yet we were still able to get 66 wins and get HCA.

Mike brown is more then deserving. People are just bitter because a guy from the cavs won it. period....

IBleedPurple
04-21-2009, 10:44 AM
i think either Rick and Sloan deserved it more

Sloan?

There are at least 6-8 coaches who deserved it more than Sloan

MiamiHeat
04-21-2009, 03:30 PM
this award should now be renamed to the "I have Lebron on my team Award"

Wilson
04-21-2009, 03:31 PM
:laugh2:

theimortalone
04-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Not suprised. Mike Brown definitly did deserve this award! His team had a record of 66-16, how can you say he doesn't deserve it?

cmstophe
04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
this award should now be renamed to the "I have Lebron on my team Award"

Does Phil Jackson get the "I have Jordan on my team" Award back in the day?

MiamiHeat
04-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Does Phil Jackson get the "I have Jordan on my team" Award back in the day?

yeah
and you should get the "Mike Brown's Number 1 Fan" award

luckynumber_752
04-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Mike Brown would've had to have been the worst coach in the league to not end up on top. He's the same coach he's allways been. Their team is better now.

IversonIsKrazy
04-21-2009, 06:50 PM
this is horrible IMO. Then last year, Phil Jackson deserved the COY. Had the lakers expected to be non-playoff bound, and became the 1st in west. Y should Brown win COY, when LeBRon is winning MVP. Y do u think Brian Scott won COY, kuz Kobe won MVP. THis is rediculous.

IversonIsKrazy
04-21-2009, 06:52 PM
he still coaches the same, they just added Mo-Will, same thing w/ lakers last season, just added Gasol. This is crap, any other candidate for COY, i'd be happy with, but this is just flat-out B U L L S H I T. The only way i'dd accept Brown for COY, is if LeBron doesnt win MVP, which has a slime-to-none chance.

cmstophe
04-21-2009, 07:55 PM
yeah
and you should get the "Mike Brown's Number 1 Fan" award

Sorry it's just sour grapes your coach didn't win it. There are about 12 deserving coaches this year and they just happened to choose the one with the best team defense, the best record, and a 21 game improvement in last year's record. Deal with it.

pd7631
04-21-2009, 09:59 PM

HAHAHAHA.....Will Garner.....hahahaha. I will never read a post by that guy without thinking of that quote. If I ever disagree with him on something, I won't hesitate to bring up "Will Garner" :laugh:

jetsfan28
04-21-2009, 11:14 PM
As I put in that ridiculous thread complaining about LeBron not getting called for fouls, this is easily deserved. He runs one of the top team defenses in the league, maybe THE top, despite the fact that he hides possibly his best defender whenever he's even close to foul trouble and at the end of quarters, that's almost impossible to do, but he's managed.

Hopefully, next year he realizes that he can afford to have LeBron be more physical next year and that defense becomes even better.

ElMarroAfamado
04-21-2009, 11:39 PM
this just takes all credibility from the award i could coach the cavs and they would still be doing this

mike brown coaching = "lebron do yo thang"

jetsfan28
04-22-2009, 05:13 PM
this just takes all credibility from the award i could coach the cavs and they would still be doing this

mike brown coaching = "lebron do yo thang"

Of course they would :rolleyes:

That's why all of the other teams with superstars, like Toronto (Bosh), Indiana (Granger), Phoenix (Nash + Shaq + Amare for most of the year), and Utah and New Orleans (under 50 wins with superstar PG's) had 66 wins too, right?

LeBron do you thang ≠ Great defense and rebounding, which they've had.