PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is a worse feeling?

JordansBulls
04-20-2009, 11:56 AM
What do you think is a worse feeling?

Losing in the finals when you know you were real close to winning

or

Losing in round 1 when you are a top 3 seed?

29$JerZ
04-20-2009, 11:57 AM
The first, anything can happen in the early round. Bad matchups, injuries, missed shots,etc. But losing when you know you were so close has to be the worst because its likely you'll only see that chance happen maybe once again.

ink
04-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Losing in the finals -- no question. Ask Dallas. Think about how incomplete that experience was for them after their unbelievable regular season run, an MVP trophy, and an early series lead.

Think of ANY team that almost won a championship. A lot of them never make it back.

Big Zo
04-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Definitely losing in the finals. First round exits can easily be forgotten, but losing in the finals stays with you forever. Also, if my team lost the finals, I couldn't bare the thought that there's probably some little wiener out there watching the DVD over and over again.

hotdogbun
04-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Definitely losing in the finals

king4day
04-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I think losing in round 1 as a top seed.
This is a tough one to call but if you lose in the finals, you know you can get there again.
Losing in round 1 leaves you with a ton of questions.

Mavs are the easiest example to use simply because they were highly favored that year and had an unfortunate 1st round. After that it makes you question everything

GodsSon
04-20-2009, 12:07 PM
losing in the finals easily...just knowing you're going home as you were so close, but so far away has to be brutal

king4day
04-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Losing in the finals -- no question. Ask Dallas. Think about how incomplete that experience was for them after their unbelievable regular season run, an MVP trophy, and an early series lead.

Think of ANY team that almost won a championship. A lot of them never make it back.

You might have the seasons wrong. MVP to Dirk was the year they won 67 and lost in round one.

king4day
04-20-2009, 12:13 PM
My other argument is, when the Nets went to the finals back to back years, I don't know if they really thought they had a shot to win either years. I'm sure it still hurts and that the players still thought they had a shot at winning, but in a scenario like that, I'd have to think, had LA lost in round one that year or the Spurs even, it woulda hurt a lot more than what the Nets felt.

JayW_1023
04-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Depends...right now I wouldn't mind losing in the first round, because without Manu Dallas is the better team anyway. We have nothing to lose...especially since everyone has written the Spurs off.

ink
04-20-2009, 12:21 PM
You might have the seasons wrong. MVP to Dirk was the year they won 67 and lost in round one.

Hahaha. My bad. So maybe my example supports your point better than my own.

ink
04-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Depends...right now I wouldn't mind losing in the first round, because without Manu Dallas is the better team anyway. We have nothing to lose...especially since everyone has written the Spurs off.

But this year the Lakers and Cavs are favourites. Imagine if one of them lost in the first round.

JIDsanity
04-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Losing in the finals, cause if you know you are close and then you lose you did not try hard enough, and that hurts more than anything when you fail from lack of effort, especially something that big. When you are a top 3 seed and you lose early, you were not ready, any way you put it.

theuuord
04-20-2009, 12:23 PM
definitely losing in round one... at the very least you're a championship contender if you get close and lose. but if you lose in the first round you're just a joke.

Big Zo
04-20-2009, 12:27 PM
I think losing in round 1 as a top seed.
This is a tough one to call but if you lose in the finals, you know you can get there again.Losing in round 1 leaves you with a ton of questions.

Mavs are the easiest example to use simply because they were highly favored that year and had an unfortunate 1st round. After that it makes you question everything

Most teams that lose the finals don't get back again. Also, losing in the first round won't be remembered nearly as much. When the Heat were the 1 seed in '99 and lost to the 8th seed Knicks, it didn't hurt nearly as much as when they lost to the Pistons in game 7 of the conference finals in '05. Losing the finals would have sucked waaaaay more.

still1ballin
04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Finals....you're right there a few games seperate you from a championship....it hurts knowing the whole season down the drain.

MAC10TIZZY
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
What do you think is a worse feeling?

Losing in the finals when you know you were real close to winning

or

Losing in round 1 when you are a top 3 seed?

lol, it stings soooo bad right now

DenButsu
04-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I think the correct answer is going tot he playoffs 5 years in a row and not making it out of the first round.

But I'm biased. :smoking:

JordansBulls
04-20-2009, 01:44 PM
I think the correct answer is going tot he playoffs 5 years in a row and not making it out of the first round.

But I'm biased. :smoking:

Rockets have 12 years in a row. And they have had good teams in that time period.

sp1derm00
04-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Losing in the first round. Making it to the Finals lets you know that you have what it takes.

theuuord
04-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Finals....you're right there a few games seperate you from a championship....it hurts knowing the whole season down the drain.

lol, i think getting your butt kicked in the first round if you're a favorite is a much bigger drain.

superkegger
04-20-2009, 02:42 PM
I'd have to say losing in the first round. If you get to the finals, you know you belong there at least. Sure it hurts like hell when you lose there, but IMO, when you get bounced in the first round vs a lower seed, it's a slap in the face and basically saying, you don't belong in that realm, you're not that good at all.

Big E
04-20-2009, 03:31 PM
I would rather be the Lakers last year than the Mavs a few years back. That had to suck because they recently lost the finals to D-wade and then getting eliminated when you had the best record in the NBA.
but overall losing in the finals is worse

_Sn1P3r_
04-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Losing in the Finals because you were right there and you're so close, but then you lose.

abe_froman
04-20-2009, 03:44 PM
being taken out in the first round,being a top 3 seed comes with certain championship or at least finals,expectations.and the precedent is that you will beat the lower seeded challengers 9 times out of 10.

AirJordan23
04-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Losing in the first round. You worked so hard in the season to get home court and a top seed yet you fail to get outta the first round. At least you achieved something when getting to the finals. Best team of the conference that was close to winning it all. Worked hard and did the best they could but came up short. There are positives of making it to the finals but there are no positives of losing in the first round. Losing in the first round puts a damper on your hopes, confidence and esteem. You don't have the same firepower as you do before.

kidfury
04-20-2009, 03:50 PM
losing in the 1st round would be embarassing for a top 3 seed but a top 3 seed would likely get another chance the following season in the playoffs. A loss in the finals would be devastating because just to reach the finals is difficult - dodging injuries, getting a few calls go your way, a little bit of good luck definitely doesn't hurt. Reaching the finals once, does in no possible way mean a return trip to finals anytime soon.

what54!?
04-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Losing in the finals because you could taste the championship but it doesn't go to you

Statik1
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
not getting there is worse

Hawkalicious
04-20-2009, 05:01 PM
I say losing in the first round, because as a player, it invalidates anything great you did leading up to that point. Every team that is a 3 seed and is healthy has intentions of winning a title, so a first round knockout would be devastating, especially having to then watch the other teams that are still in it compete.

ombada
04-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Losing in the finals... people that are from LA, or SA or even Boston (80's & 2008) might not understand it as much, because they have had consistantly good teams with superstar players and coaches that they know can get them back there...

Being a Pacers fan, we had 1 chance in 2000. We lost and 9 years later our franchise is still a year away from the playoffs and years away from contention. Let me also add that it was particularly bitter for the Pacers because Miller, one of the most deserving guys ever, will never get his ring... :(

S.J.Basketball
04-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Losing in the finals is wayyy worse. That's like getting in bed with the prom queen in high school only to have your mom walk in right as you're about to put it in. Worst case of blue balls ever.

Jay22Redd
04-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Losing in the finals. Youd got to be insane to put a 1st round exit. All that hard work to get to the finals and you lose?! thats sad and hurts

AllTheWay
04-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Losing in the finals... people that are from LA, or SA or even Boston (80's & 2008) might not understand it as much, because they have had consistantly good teams with superstar players and coaches that they know can get them back there...

Being a Pacers fan, we had 1 chance in 2000. We lost and 9 years later our franchise is still a year away from the playoffs and years away from contention. Let me also add that it was particularly bitter for the Pacers because Miller, one of the most deserving guys ever, will never get his ring... :(

Nobody deserves a ring unless they earn it. And you earn it by winning it. So Miller, in reality, does not deserve ****.

ARMIN12NBA
04-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Losing is losing man and it sucks both ways. I would probably rather have that Finals appearance because it will most likely mean that my team would be in the running for the championship next year rather than losing in the 1st round, which makes you really question the team.

ARMIN12NBA
04-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Losing in the finals is wayyy worse. That's like getting in bed with the prom queen in high school only to have your mom walk in right as you're about to put it in. Worst case of blue balls ever.

I'd rather get very close and know that I will have another chance at it rather than having no chance at all.