PDA

View Full Version : If Santiago sits Tuesday...

stanpapi
04-19-2009, 10:39 PM
...I'll have some mean things to say about Jim. Nice for Porcello, but Santiago's the difference today.

Moneytime27
04-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Santiago and Josh Anderson both add a nice dimension to the bottom of the lineup and they both add the defense that is preached in the field, I think its a load of b.s. that Santiago can not be an everyday player, Guillen doesnt help being in the field anymore he can DH maybe Thames and Larish wont get much playing time this way but when guys can produce runs we dont need more home run hitting guys in the lineup Cabrera, Magglio, Granderson , Inge and Guillen can all hit homeruns and if they want to give Larish and Thames occasional at bats fine but Ramon Santiago and Josh Anderson belong in this lineup everyday

JMDTM
04-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Yup. Anderson is still young so I think that was going to be a move
Made anyway. Santiago should start over everett. He can hit better, field just as good if not better. I think Santiago deserves it and I don't see why not

stanpapi
04-20-2009, 09:12 AM
...Santiago has to be looking like the guy... so far. I never understood the Everett signing because Santiago has hit better in recent years, and I think his fielding is as good as anyone. That said, it's early on both counts. So while I'm still saying, "let's see," I am also saying go with the hot hand Tuesday.

levignjw
04-20-2009, 08:17 PM
There's no reason Santiago should be riding the bench. The guy has already shown his glove is right up there with Everett's defensively and he's looking like he's got more pop in his bat, this guy needs to be given a shot.

JMDTM
04-20-2009, 09:20 PM
well, Everett is Day to Day, so we will see Santiago(as far as i know), until you here more on Everett being healthy

jsneller1985
04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
everett sucks

theDETROITfan
04-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Adam Everett in my opinion is better defensively, throughout his career, but Santiago produces for the team offensively as well as defensively, i would like to see him earn his role as an every day SS. Marcus Thames as well, make Carlos Guillen the everyday DH, and maybe platoon Anderson and Thames in left.

levignjw
04-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Adam Everett may be better defensively right now, but its simply because the guy has been given the opportunity to play as a starter. I am more than confident that Santiago could field just as well as Everett, and I think we can all agree he's got the better bat.

ajsusn79
04-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Adam Everett Sucks it makes as much sense as putting Nefi Perez in the line up over Santiago

theDETROITfan
04-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Adam Everett may be better defensively right now, but its simply because the guy has been given the opportunity to play as a starter. I am more than confident that Santiago could field just as well as Everett, and I think we can all agree he's got the better bat.

well if you think about it, Santiago played the whole seattle series, and both chicago games, thats almost half the season, so technically they have both played the same amount of games. everett is better defensively, it's a fact, but santiago is more dependable at the plate, you are correct. jim leyland stated that anything everett does offensively is an extra good thing, we simply got him because we wanted to improve our defense. i like both guys, it will take time to see which will outlast the other

Bondomania
04-21-2009, 04:50 PM
eh, you could make the argument that Everett isn't that much better defensively.. so far he has looked very pedestrian defensively.. he cost Verlander a win against texas with a crucial error. Santiago has a stronger arm than Everett and their range is very comparable. The only real reason why santiago has gotten as much time as he has has been because Everett has had the flu over the past week or so. I would like to see the type of numbers Santiago could put up at the plate and the field if he was to start the majority of the season. Right now we are getting huge amounts of contribution from the bottom part of our batting order and i honestly would prefer to avoid messing that up.. Santiago is hot right now and i think that he could put up 50-70 RBI's with 8-12 hr's playing great defense if given the opportunity to play on an everyday basis

levignjw
04-21-2009, 05:43 PM
well if you think about it, Santiago played the whole seattle series, and both chicago games, thats almost half the season, so technically they have both played the same amount of games. everett is better defensively, it's a fact, but santiago is more dependable at the plate, you are correct. jim leyland stated that anything everett does offensively is an extra good thing, we simply got him because we wanted to improve our defense. i like both guys, it will take time to see which will outlast the other

I'm referring to playing time in their careers. Everett has seen time in the starter's role on previous teams whereas it seems Santiago has been limited to a utility player thus far on the Tigers and I think he's ready to make that jump

smarkow
04-22-2009, 09:56 AM
WELL...he didnt sit and put up a big 0-4, striking out with runners on 1st and 2nd...even though I think that 3rd strike call was horrible..especially to end a game...

That said, Cabrera was also 0-4.

Listen fellas. Guys get hot, and then get cold. I'm not saying that santiago is cooling off right now. Santiago appears to be one of those guys that can get hot. Therefore, you play him for a while. When u see that he's cooling down, you sit him on the bench. This is why he has not yet been an every day player. He's a great guy to get in there and spell the middle infielders.

dddtfan
04-22-2009, 10:23 AM
The trick with Santiago is to NOT play him too much. IMO the best mix is each Everett and Santiago getting somewhere between 62 and 100 starts. My preference would be to favor Santiago some in that mix. My real preference would be to take another stab at trading some pitching and getting a real everyday shortstop. I really don't think any of the kids playing Shortstop on the farm are the answer. And if anybody has seen Iorg in either Spring Training or the start he's gotten off to so far you wouldn't be tossing that name in my face right now. I think that 2 year hiatus that he took from baseball to do his Mormon misson has taken a toll.

Bondomania
04-22-2009, 11:57 AM
agreed on Iorg.. but people i have heard from say he is pressing real bad right now at the plate.. if he gets to July and still hitting .150 then there is cause for concern.. but the guy is still young and can turn things around..

Ideally though.. we should swing a trade with Milwaukee to get JJ Hardy to get that everyday SS. They are off to a god awful start and seriously lack pitching... it seems like we would match up well.. possible sending them Miner and some prospects for Hardy.. or if Willis can work his way back and be effective, maybe we eat some of his salary to work a trade.. but i really have been on the JJ Hardy bandwagon for quite some time and this past offseason thought he would be quite a nice acquisition

smarkow
04-22-2009, 02:03 PM
i would not expect a trade any time in the near future.

Bondomania
04-22-2009, 04:03 PM
how do you figure? If Bonderman comes back that moves Miner to the pen.. Zoom looks like he might be back soon.. and if by some miracle Willis comes back.. there will be arms to deal.. and if Everett or Santiago falter here in the near future.. it seems like a move would have to be made

levignjw
04-22-2009, 04:57 PM
We could probably even throw in Guillen in a trade for JJ

Bondomania
04-23-2009, 01:30 PM
eh, i think we would have to eat a ton of cash in that deal.. but i wouldn't be opposed to it.. I think JJ Hardy would be a nice addition.. but both Everett and Santiago have been hot recently, so i don't expect a deal until at least june/july..