PDA

View Full Version : Mayo's Kobe-esque manner-isms

JayW_1023
04-19-2009, 04:56 PM
To Kobe fans...does it bother you when people say Kobe copies MJ's manners a bit.

Well, I've noticed that OJ Mayo practitions alot of Kobe's mannerisms...he has that same demeanor...for some reason I think Mayo secretly wants to be the next Kobe.

I wonder if you think can Mayo become as good as Kobe, especially given his impressive rookie season (scoringwise anyway).

KeithLBC
04-19-2009, 04:58 PM
It doesn't bother me one bit. I think there was another thread on here asking who's the next Kobe and I thought it was Mayo.

IMO, Mayo's gonna be a beast for years to come and will make the Wolves look stupid for another lopsided trade. I think he has the potential to be just as good and dominate as Kobe :)

abe_froman
04-19-2009, 04:59 PM
i dont think its secretly...

and no,but a top 5-10 sg

knicks1214
04-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Since I first saw him play in H.S. I've been saying he has a Kobe demeanor to him. Do I think he can be a replica of Kobe? No, but he can get close I think.

AllTheWay
04-19-2009, 05:02 PM
He will be a superstar, no doubt.

Ethix11
04-19-2009, 05:10 PM
I think the Lakers should go after that guy before Kobe calls it in.

Chronz
04-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Kobe at 19 was better than whatever Mayo's at right now, even though Mayo has a better shot and an off the ball game, and possibly as good defensive intensity, he just doesnt possess Kobe's physical tools to ever be as good. In his prime I figure he could be as good as a year 2 D-Wade.

Hawkeye15
04-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Mayo is 6'3", with above average athletic ability, and allergic to contact. There is no way he approaches Kobe Bryant. Mayo will be a very good NBA scorer, nothing more. And that isn't a criticism. I see no more than 24 ppg on decent percentages in his prime, with no rebounds, minimal assists, and a couple steals, since he does work hard on the defensive end much of the time.
I don't think the Wade comparison is correct at all. Mayo doesn't get to the line, but he shoots much better from 3. He also doesn't rebound, and isn't a distributor. I think he is more comparable to Michael Redd, if he can continue to grow. I still also like the Ben Gordon comparison I have given since the beginning. Many think that is a slap, but Gordon is a good scorer, with the same frame and ability

Kenny
04-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Mayo reminds me of jamal crawford

kozelkid
04-19-2009, 06:00 PM
redd or allen or gordon are probably the best comparisons for this kid. The one thing he might be better than all 3 is defense, other than that, he will most likely be a good ballhandling sg. Earlier on I thought he had the chance to be a billups if put at pg, but he appears to avoid contact much more and is more score first.

philab
04-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Mayo's ceiling is that of a rich man's Ron Harper, IMO.

hotpotato1092
04-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Mayo will be an all star but Kobe could be a top 10 all time player, I don't think Mayo can get there. Then again he's only a rookie so it's too early to tell.