PDA

View Full Version : Which Safety should the Browns target in the draft?

Stonevision
04-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Here's what the Cleveland Browns are working with at the safety position prior to the 2009 NFL Entry Draft:

Hamza Abdullah
Mike Adams
Brodney Pool
Nick Sorensen

These guys don't exactly have anybody shaking in their boots. Unlike the past 3-4 drafts there isn't a single safety projected to go in the 1st round. However, there are some differencemakers that can be had in the mid to late 2nd and throughout the 3rd. There is great piece on NFL.com that profiles the top 5 candidates.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fd4b07&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Check it out and let me know what you think.....

rhaas74
04-19-2009, 02:20 PM
If we aren't able to grab Chung with #50, or see someone else sitting there, I like what I read on Emanuel Cook and Chip Vaughn. They seem to be going later in the draft too which means we could put off safety for awhile.

Stonevision
04-19-2009, 02:37 PM
If we aren't able to grab Chung with #50, or see someone else sitting there, I like what I read on Emanuel Cook and Chip Vaughn. They seem to be going later in the draft too which means we could put off safety for awhile.

I like both of these guys as well but Chung would be my 1st choice in safties. As much as I like Braylon, I think the Browns almost have to deal him simply to grab more picks. Not having a 3rd rounder leaves a big hole in their options in the middle round. Going from #50 to the top of the 4th round means a lot of good talent will be taken before they can nab a good mid-round talent who may have fallen into their lap.

phitautimmy
04-19-2009, 09:35 PM
I would like to see Louis Delmas. Dude is a hard hitter and in some ways reminds me of LaRon Landry for the Redskins.

Drunk Kosar 19
04-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Delmas or Chip

onthefasttrack0
04-19-2009, 10:08 PM
PATRICK CHUNG

Analysis
Positives: Well-built, versatile athlete who has seen time at cornerback and as a returner. ... Flashes explosive hitting ability. ... Reads the action quickly and is seemingly always around the ball. ... Good lateral quickness, acceleration and smooth change-of-direction agility while in zone coverage. ... Attacks underneath routes and rarely allows the receiver to cross with the ball unscathed. ... Closes quickly on the ballcarrier. ... Receivers are cognizant of him when going over the middle. ... Quick enough to hang with receivers for a few seconds in the deep half. ... Among the more reliable open-field tacklers in the country and should be an excellent last line of defense at the NFL level. ... Accomplished blitzer. ... Few have Chung's ability to explode into ballcarriers while wrapping their arms securely. ... Whether deep in coverage or attacking the line of scrimmage, he limits the yards gained at the point he meets the ballcarrier. ... Consistently swarms to the ball. ... Durable, consistent performer. ... Instinctive defender. ... Should be a leader on defense and special teams.

Negatives: Questionable deep speed and is a bit shorter than scouts prefer because of their coverage duties against tight ends. ... Physical player who can get a bit grabby while in coverage, leading to some holding calls. ... Attacks the line or underneath routes too quickly, leaving room for the deep ball behind him. ... At his best facing the quarterback and running downhill toward the ball.

I see a lot more positives than negatives. He is the missle the browns need roving the field.

Take him in the 2nd round and grab Chip Vaughn on Day 2!

rhaas74
04-20-2009, 12:00 AM
I could have told you that fasttrack's pick would be Chung based on the fact that he played in the PAC-10.

ctwn4life
04-20-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm saying Patrick Chung also. Watch a little bit of video on the guy..He's a ballhawk..I'd rather take Fili with the 50th over Chung though.

theBROWNguy
04-20-2009, 01:43 AM
Delmas or Chung.

whats the harder position to play SS or FS?

Stonevision
04-20-2009, 10:22 AM
I'd like to see Chung myself. He has the versitility to play both safety positions and even corner in a pinch. His best fit is the in-the-box safety since his primary role was "rover" at Oregon. If the Browns could land him there are other guys in later rounds that could play the centerfield safety position.

Another guy that they could consider is Sean Smith from Utah. He's tall and can run. He was a physical corner for the Utes and some scouts see him as the ball-hawking safety type.

cle12152433
04-20-2009, 10:52 AM
if the Browns are absolutely unable to get Chung or Delmas, I think they should wait until next years draft and try to use their 1st round pick on Taylor Mays

Stonevision
04-20-2009, 11:51 AM
if the Browns are absolutely unable to get Chung or Delmas, I think they should wait until next years draft and try to use their 1st round pick on Taylor Mays

Unless the Browns are in the market for a QB in the 2010 draft I say they go after Mays regardless of whether or not they take a safety or multiple safties in this year's draft. A player with his size, speed and overall skill-set don't come around very often at all. The only way he falls out of the top 3-5 next year is if he forgets how to play football or has a serious injury.

If the 2009 season turns out to be a firesale of Browns roster players and a total rebuild, I think it's safe to say they will have their fair shot at the guy next year.

rhaas74
04-20-2009, 01:25 PM
The good thing about Chung is that he has versatility so next year we could take Mays to play SS and Chung could play FS. I also like Sean Smith and have been calling for him for weeks now. He can play FS or CB. With his size he is better suited to play FS because his hip fluidity is not as great as you want. He also has great ball skills, he was transitioned from a WR to CB his freshman year so that he could get on the field.

Rockets&Browns
04-21-2009, 03:36 AM
The good thing about Chung is that he has versatility so next year we could take Mays to play SS and Chung could play FS. I also like Sean Smith and have been calling for him for weeks now. He can play FS or CB. With his size he is better suited to play FS because his hip fluidity is not as great as you want. He also has great ball skills, he was transitioned from a WR to CB his freshman year so that he could get on the field.

Honestly I would prefer Smith over anyone else because of his versatilty. He will contribute from day 1. He can start at CB or S over who we have now. I'd prefer him over Jenkins and we can also use him on returns to keep Cribbs fresh to produce more on offense.

rhaas74
04-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Honestly I would prefer Smith over anyone else because of his versatilty. He will contribute from day 1. He can start at CB or S over who we have now. I'd prefer him over Jenkins and we can also use him on returns to keep Cribbs fresh to produce more on offense.

I would rather keep Cribbs back on returns. Chicago did that with Hester and it will take almost two years to turn him into a legitimate receiver. Using him here and there to run routes is one thing, but taking him away from where he excelled is another. But I agree with Smith also. It would also set us up for Mays next year, because let's face it, we will be drafting high enough to get him.

cle12152433
04-21-2009, 11:06 AM
I would rather keep Cribbs back on returns. Chicago did that with Hester and it will take almost two years to turn him into a legitimate receiver.

He also only had 600 yards and a mere 3 touchdowns (receiving), even after Orton's dynamite year.

Hermie13
04-21-2009, 12:30 PM
SEAN SMITH would be my first choice....but he's likely to go 1st round. Can play both CB and S.

Another guy is Sherrod Martin from Troy. Also a CB/S tweener.

And if we trade down into the 11-15 range I'd consider Malcolm Jenkins. Everyone is down on him cause of his slow 40-time but he's still a great DB. Posted the best 3-cone time (much better DB drill). Even if he can't play CB, he'd make a great safety.

And hoping for Mays next year is dumb. There is absolutely no guarantee he'll be around when we pick. You don't make moves this year hoping that someone next year will fall to you.

Stonevision
04-21-2009, 03:47 PM
SEAN SMITH would be my first choice....but he's likely to go 1st round. Can play both CB and S.

And if we trade down into the 11-15 range I'd consider Malcolm Jenkins. Everyone is down on him cause of his slow 40-time but he's still a great DB. Posted the best 3-cone time (much better DB drill). Even if he can't play CB, he'd make a great safety.

And hoping for Mays next year is dumb. There is absolutely no guarantee he'll be around when we pick. You don't make moves this year hoping that someone next year will fall to you.

Nice one. I've liked Jenkins as a darkhorse for weeks. His pro day results and game tape will likely overshadow his combine. Not many DB's performed well there anyhow.

He's a safety in my opinionand if they traded the #5 pick to Denver for #12 and #18 he would be a great pick at #12, take a OLB at #18. (Larry English, or Orakpo if he makes the slide some are saying he will) Only 4 more days!!!

rhaas74
04-21-2009, 03:48 PM

McShay's new mock has him falling to the late second round. If this were the case I would be all over him. And I agree about hoping for Mays. I was simply stating that having a ball hawking FS, like Jenkins or Smith would be, puts us in the running for him.