PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade your franchise player if...

hotpotato1092
04-19-2009, 04:26 AM
Here's the scenario. Your team is losing a bunch of money, you have a ton of bad contracts and the trade deadline is 20 minutes away. Because of your team's bad financial situation there's a good chance (not a 100% chance, but a good chance) that the team will have to move. But then, an opposing GM calls you and says "look, we understand your situation and we'll bail you out, we have 25 million in expiring contracts, if you'll give us player x, we'll take on all the bad contracts you want to get rid of". You're not getting any other offers because the deadline's so close, you have to make a decision NOW, what do you do? I think I'd do it, players come and go but you can't risk losing the team. What's interesting is that we might see this situation with New Orleans this offseason, they're losing a TON of money (hence, the Tyson Chandler trade attempt) so I'm guessing some team's gonna call them and ask if Chris Paul's available if they'll take all the bad contracts New Orleans wants to get rid of. I don't know if they'll do it, but I'm saying it'll be a topic of discussion in the Hornets FO. Anyway if that's the situation, do you pull the trigger?

abe_froman
04-19-2009, 04:28 AM
Here's the scenario. Your team is losing a bunch of money, you have a ton of bad contracts and the trade deadline is 20 minutes away. Because of your team's bad financial situation there's a good chance (not a 100% chance, but a good chance) that the team will have to move. But then, an opposing GM calls you and says "look, we understand your situation and we'll bail you out, we have 25 million in expiring contracts, if you'll give us player x, we'll take on all the bad contracts you want to get rid of". You're not getting any other offers because the deadline's so close, you have to make a decision NOW, what do you do? I think I'd do it, players come and go but you can't risk losing the team. What's interesting is that we might see this situation with New Orleans this offseason, they're losing a TON of money (hence, the Tyson Chandler trade attempt) so I'm guessing some team's gonna call them and ask if Chris Paul's available if they'll take all the bad contracts New Orleans wants to get rid of. I don't know if they'll do it, but I'm saying it'll be a topic of discussion in the Hornets FO. Anyway if that's the situation, do you pull the trigger?

no one on this board would(their fans),but some owners/gms would.and to the specific situation i say no.cp is the reason they show up in the first place,trade him i would be one of the most vilified men in n.o.(somewhere between bush and head of army corp of engineers for city n.o.)and no one would show up,so i'm right back in the poor house

INeedMyJays
04-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Like that's ever gonna happen. If it does though, i would give up the franchise player if my team was doing well. If not then, I'd tell that guy to go **** himself, and I don't need his "help."

IndyRealist
04-21-2009, 01:48 AM
Funny, because this perfectly describes the Indiana Pacers. I might do it. Danny Granger, Mike Dunleavy, and Jamaal Tinsley for $25M in expiring contracts.

chiforlyfe
04-21-2009, 02:17 AM
this is interesting because it may happen. i doubt with the situation you mentioned. but someone might end up trading there franchise player due to the economy and it will only be a sad day for basketball. i miss when trades were made for improving your team. not economic reasons. whens the last trade that was made to improve a team and not for money?

abe_froman
04-21-2009, 02:27 AM
this is interesting because it may happen. i doubt with the situation you mentioned. but someone might end up trading there franchise player due to the economy and it will only be a sad day for basketball. i miss when trades were made for improving your team. not economic reasons. whens the last trade that was made to improve a team and not for money?

some probably will have to,but a lower profile "star"(hope my team who is ripe with the assists to take advantage of such a situation,will indeed do just that)

luckynumber_752
04-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeah. I would.

MiamiHeat
04-21-2009, 06:25 PM
no team with a great franchise player would be in that type of situation

abe_froman
04-21-2009, 06:26 PM
no team with a great franchise player would be in that type of situation

n.o. is,and seriously with over half the franchises in league hurting..i'm sure some of them have such a player

el_duderino2484
04-21-2009, 10:40 PM
i would with any team but the celtics. i could never let go of rondo

Jay22Redd
04-21-2009, 10:58 PM
no one on this board would(their fans),but some owners/gms would.and to the specific situation i say no.cp is the reason they show up in the first place,trade him i would be one of the most vilified men in n.o.(somewhere between bush and head of army corp of engineers for city n.o.)and no one would show up,so i'm right back in the poor house

nuff said